The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Why Newcastle Must Not Allow This With Summer Transfers

10:14 am, Wednesday, April 27th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 84 Comments

Newcastle spent £52M last summer on transfers and even when we didn´t have a manager the transfer business went merrily along with Graham Carr identifying the players who were coming into the club – whether they were necessary or not.

So we signed Gini Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Chancel Mbemba and Florian Thauvin whether the Newcastle manager approved of those transfers or not.

And since we are now second bottom of the league with three games to go and we brought in another four players for £29M in January, Newcastle´s transfer budget was not well spent this season.

That´s a massive understatement.

Managing Director Lee Charnley

It has shown up the ridiculous system that Newcastle have been employing, when the Chief Scout picks the players to come in,  but is not held responsible for the performances of the team on the field – that´s the responsibility of the manager or should we say head coach?

This triumvirate – Chief Scout, Managing Director and head coach was  apparently dreamed up by the woeful Lee Charnley and it hasn´t worked at all – in fact it´s been a complete disaster.

The Board and Mike Ashley are responsible for Newcastle´s plight this season and we are in imminent danger of another relegation.

It´s too early to talk too much about summer transfers and who will be coming in – because we don´t know which league we will be in.

Worse than that we don´t know which manager we will have, as rumors seem to be that Rafa could leave us if we are relegated.

But one thing is certain – Newcastle cannot allow Graham Carr to continue bringing players in players ad lib that he likes that may have no bearing at all on addressing weaknesses in the team.

There should be no players brought in this summer until we know who the manager will be and he should decide who he wants.

Mike Ashley also promised us a complete review of the season and that needs to be done quickly and those responsible for this debacle must be held fully accountable.

If we do get relegated we have to remember there will be non-playing staff who will lose their jobs at the club.

Last time we were relegated, nothing came out of the club for six weeks and Alan Shearer didn´t know what his status was as there was a leadership vacuum at the club.

It will be important in the summer for Mike Ashley to be decisive and act quickly – especially if we are relegated.

Mike Ashley and the Newcastle Board have made a complete hash of things, which has resulted in the team having only 30 points from 35 games in the Premier League.

That´s the worst we have ever done in the Premier League.

Those responsible for this must be held accountable as the first order of business this summer.

And to end this on a much more positive note, if we stay up and Rafa stays with us, this will all become a lot easier.

One solution – a good one – is to put Rafa in charge of everything once those responsible for the mess have been held accountable.

Ashley will still need to appoint a lead executive at the club and Rafa will need to bring in a Chief Scout but Rafa should effectively be running the club for the owner.

And we could then be a top six team in 12 months time.

Sounds good to us.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours

84 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Another thing I should learn to do is not post all my good stuff in one of Eds crappy skipover articles. No offence, Ed 🙂

Oh! Look! Lee has failed to switch his central heating on via the app again! Better keep that coat on when you get into bed tonight Lee!

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:19 AM

A mallet would give me so much satisfaction.
    Mad Booby has started calling anyone who opposes his rants as being part of a borg. Maybe mad Booby will be on later to explain.

• 3 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Mike Ashley will go one be than you, Ed.

“There will be no players bought this summer…”

And that’s it.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:21 AM

I think when it’s quiet like this with only a few on, people tend to read stuff left on previous posts. Borg members anyway.

• 5 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Let’s ask Rob Vollans while he’s here. What’s it like being part of a borg, Rob?

• 6 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:23 AM

I think we’re beginning to think along the same lines, Jail. After all, resistance to it would be pretty Erm.. what’s the word I’m looking for…..oh….had that on the tip of my tongue…no….no its gone. Futile trying to remember it.

• 7 Lindisfarne // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Lee thinks that by keeping the radiator on in the hall 24/7 the rest of the house will be covered.

• 8 WWSBRD // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Ah…am I part of the collective or am I aboard the enterprise? What we should all ask ourselves on this blog

Or u know talk about football but that’s boring eh

• 9 Ron Knee // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:29 AM

” … there was a leadership vacuum at the club.”

Some things don’t change.

• 10 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:30 AM

That vacuum is between Lees lugs.

• 11 WWSBRD // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Oh dear, think I was agreeing with him last I was on, could be wrong like might of been someone else

• 12 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Picture caption

Lee texting “Damn you, Mike – this ISN’T the boardroom at all!”

• 13 Lindisfarne // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Morning Mass is much more civilised, a community of thoughtful contributors but not all of the same mind.

• 14 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Looking at this mornings blog gives me a mental picture of the mess left after the Rio Carnival being swept up.

• 15 Jib // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Charnley will revert back to what he does best nuts and bolts day to day company stuff , he never seemed to have any problem getting players signed.

Carr and Moncur are Septegenarians and will be retired.

Rafa has his own extremely efficient scouting network and has a monster player database .
    If the footy world learns of him having great authority at a wealthy club he’ll have to beat the agents off with a shitty stick.

• 16 Ron Knee // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:39 AM

MD Lee Charnley at Newcastle’s packed home ground for the club’s first encounter with Brentford.

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:40 AM

I’ve just read a Leon Uris book on the founding of Israel and came across a paragraph that very much reminded me of the three stooges pondering over McCarvew.
    “Even at this hour they did not have the courage to reverse their drastic mistake but were standing ready to sink with it”

• 18 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:43 AM

If, and it’s a big if, Ashley had any sense, his rumoured review should be taking place now so we can have the manager in place at the start of the summer break.

That’s a big ask though.

Little Wslter eh? You’re obviously of the same vintage as me. Great times and I believe we were privileged to be a part of them. Today’s kids’ll never experience such times of musical, ideological and political times.

• 19 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Picture caption #2

“I wonder if I can hold my breath until Mike answers?”

• 20 Jib // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:46 AM

movement of Jah people !

• 21 magicmac // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:49 AM

At any other properly run club Charnley and old man Carr would have been sacked long ago, in fact at any other properly run club those 2 clowns would never be in thier positions in the first place, Charnley doesnt know what day of the week it is, never mind know anything about football, and old man Carr is well past his sell bye date, so why the hell wait to the end of the season for a review, but we are talking about Newcastle United here, we are not a properly run club, and we we never be a properly run club under Mike Ashely. HWTL.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Manager in place? We’ve got Rafa unless you think we might go down, oooh better get your tin hat on, only Johnny come lately’s and plastic fans think we might get relegated.

• 23 Ron Knee // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:51 AM

The Sixties were a magical time, but isn’t that the same for all subsequent generations?

• 24 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Don’t hold your good stuff back too long – I’m getting on a bit.

• 25 Jib // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:57 AM

“magicmac – Charnley doesnt know what day of the week it is.”

Extraordinary statement !

You know this because ?

• 26 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Lesh took your time but you got there ha ha. I was holding my breath waiting for it 🙂

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Because he bumped into him in Eldon Square one Saturday afternoon and asked him what day it was. He replied Tuesday!

• 28 Jib // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:01 AM

I wonder when Burnley is going to suggest an alternative blog ?

• 29 Jib // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:03 AM

That’s quite good for you – Jail

• 30 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Just for you rise tinted borg types I often think Nostalgia and Neuralgia are actually the same sometimes.

For me the sixties was growing up in a council house pre-central heating with beautiful flower patterns on the window inside during winter, coats (yes, coats) thrown over our army blanket covered beds, paraffin heater on the landing and a coal fire downstairs and of course going to school in tuff boots with weetabix box insoles and patches in my trouser knees.

Of course we thought at the time we had it cosy because we listened to dad’s tales of him being found in the snow with pneumonia by a canal in manchester on his paper round, how he wore clogs and when he went into the army got some tropical skin disease and a robust bout of dysentery when in a Japanese POW camp.

Happy days, no – magical days indeed 😀

• 31 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:11 AM

The sixties, paraffin heaters, ice on the inside of the windows, army blankets, coats? Coats? You’re lucky, in my day……..

And, we aim to please. All of your posts are top drawer….. it says here.

• 32 Ron Knee // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:11 AM

“House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!”

• 33 magscar // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:15 AM

recognise most of that ( my father apparently only wore shoes on a Sunday) but paraffin heaters and weetabix – you must have been on a posh estate 😉

Still happy days as we were all the same around our doors and no hint of the material world to come to make us question how we lived.

• 34 Magpie Season // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:20 AM

I know we need the win this Saturday. Not a draw but a win.

Everyone thinks we will win this Saturday. Such a high percentage.

Thing is, it never works like that. Look at Spurs, they were expected to beat West Brom Monday, a team that is already safe with nothing to play for.

That…is what makes me worry.

• 35 Magpie Season // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:21 AM

^ woops, forgot to add the word ‘complacency’

• 36 posada // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Listen. All joking a side I’m worried about Mad Boobey.
    Has one of his rants tipped him over the edge.

• 37 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Hey I’m not complaining really, on our estate many thought we were a bit posh! My mam taught me how to read and spell really early and not to use slang. I vividly remember surprising the teacher when I first went to the infants school and could spell ‘yacht’! Mind that was only a couple of months ago….

• 38 magscar // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Presumably that was so you could recognise daddy’s boat on the Manchester ship canal 🙂

• 39 geordie157 // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:36 AM

I’m probably the only one that thinks this but I think Thauvin can be a big part of things next season, with the option of him and Townsend on the wings or thauvin coming off the bench it gives us more options, well definitely better than gouffran, marveaux, obertan, riviere that’s for sure!

If Rafa stays I think he’ll get him playing well.

• 40 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Magscar no I think it was so I could recognise the van that had “rent man” on the side.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:43 AM

I wouldn’t worry too much, I think mad Booby has been ranting since the mid seventies.

• 42 magscar // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Thauvin was out of his depth in an already struggling side ( with seemingly the French players unable to follow McClaren’s Dutch instruction 🙂 )

Joking aside I enjoyed seeing him against Northampton but otherwise he couldn’t seem to adjust to PL. His spell back in France isn’t likely to have restored him enough to make him any better prepared for next season wherever that may be. Under Rafa he would be expected to work to a plan and change as necessary but not sure he is capable of so much at once. Not sure of his wages but if we go down suspect he would be a luxury too far for us.

• 43 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Maybe they’ve put Bobby in one of those induced comas to reduce the swelling.

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:48 AM

The irony is that all the players we want rid of for not being good enough will probably come in handy in the Championship, I wonder how much Willo would cost? We can’t even speculate on what the team might be if we go down as we haven’t got a clue what Mashley’s plans are and what clauses are in the players contracts. Regardless of what his plans are though I can see Jaanmatt, Sissoko and Wijnaldum definitely leaving.

• 45 Lindisfarne // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:49 AM

You are right! You are the only one!!

• 46 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Our bin man was a deaf mute. That’s probably not the correct pc term now but he was. I remember the rent man had a brown overall coat and a leather purse. Lots of flat caps in those days too 🙂
    Then there’s the hawk eyed housewives waiting to pick up the spills from the coal man. And the rag and bone man’s horse ha ha. I should write one of them “shoe box in’ middle o’ Road ” memoirs ha ha. Or maybe not.

• 47 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Do you think mad Booby was a chaser, all the kids in the street would give him dogs abuse because they knew he’d flip and chase them round for hours on end.

• 48 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Yep Geordie is definitely in with the borg on his Thauvin theory ha ha

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:53 AM

Obertorun would be class in the Championship and I reckon Gouffran would grab 15+ goals, Willo would have been ideal as club captain as well.

• 50 jimmysmith // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Townsend, Perez, Thauvin and Aarons would be pretty formidable in the Championship, and the latter three would probably benefit from a season down there more than another in the EPL, from the perspective of their own development, because they’d play regularly and likely well. No particular comfort in that at all of course, but likely true, and of course they are potentially top notch players.

• 51 The overrated Frenchman // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Geordie157. I think Florain Thauvin is at least a player who will come up in conversations in pubs over the years to come.

• 52 The overrated Frenchman // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:57 AM

• 53 magscar // Apr 27, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Do we really want to go back to Willo honest pro though he is? The problem as I see it is if the worst happens is to both provide suitable new players for the shock of competing in Championship but preparing for what hopefully is a quick return and those not having to be jettisoned or carried. Would feel a lot happier with Benitez overseeing that type of recruitment.

Those you mention might have to go if for no other reason than to finance the inevitable rebuilding.

Not going to worry to much as am still fingers crossed that all will be well. May be clearer after Sat but may not!

• 54 G // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:02 PM

All of this talk about the 60’s & 70’s, can anybody remember the name of the photographer who was always round the West End? I grew up in Scotswood and Benwell, and I remember him vividly going round with his camera. I believe his first name was Jimmy, but I can’t for the life of me remember his surname?

• 55 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Wot rent man was German. You could hear the folk in the street calling him by name – Karl Bach!

And there was some folk thowt that getting their name in a shop window made them famous!

• 56 dok - the horrid colonial // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM

gmorning all, from the dark side of the pond…

may I offer the feeling we are currently in the eye of the storm at the moment on here? always quieter in the middle, as they say…

• 57 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:05 PM

* Wot = Wor

• 58 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:07 PM

• 59 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Jail I wonder if Bobby was one of my enraged victims of tying thread to door knockers and pulling at them from behind walls, or tying bin lids to back door handles he he innocent fun

• 60 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:07 PM

You mean Jimmy Forsyth?

• 61 magscar // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:08 PM

I’m a North Shields lad ( albeit attending school at top of Benwell Hill ) myself so no idea . Bit intrigued as to what this camera guy was doing “going around” though or mebbe’s best left alone 🙂

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:08 PM

We’d have been better keeping Willo, he’s better than Taylor and would have allowed Mbemba to play at LB which most definitely would be better than Colback or Sissoko and would have been invaluable for his experience if we do go down.

• 63 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:08 PM

My wife says I should grow up and stop tormenting the neighbours. Spoilsport.

• 64 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Jimmy Forsyth

• 65 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Do you sense an appearance from mad Booby like?

• 66 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:11 PM

I can see Willo in wolves colours nodding the ball into our net from the back stick…

• 67 Ron Knee // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:12 PM

I can’t help thinking of Mary Bell when I see those photos.

• 68 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Jimmy Forsyth’s work’s highly regarded. A simple man, untrained who had a simple camera.

• 69 Tsunki // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Photo caption #3

“No, no this is definitely not my phone. Nothing like it. I don’t even have a mobile phone. Hang on what are these pictures of me in my underpants doing on here?”

• 70 magscar // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Amid yesterdays talk on Hillsborough and stadium’s I fell to thinking about USA and couldn’t recall there being any tragic incidents at American Football or Baseball games. Were there ever any?

I suspect that even where stadiums are in the cities ( as opposed to on outskirts) there was sufficient land space to accommodate safe seating. parking area’s etc? On film the stadiums always seem so spacious behind the seating areas.

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:15 PM

I wonder what Mikeys plans are if do go down because last time he didn’t have a clue. Lets face it despite CH becoming a legend he was woeful in the PL as caretaker so it was pure luck that he turned out well. If Churners is left in charge I can see them turning to Cathro but praying that Churners is frog marched out of the building and Rafa is given full control.

• 72 magscar // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Were they street shots then? Something beginning to click ( no pun)

• 73 posada // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:16 PM

I’ve had a stressful couple of days.
    The crack about Karl Bach made me laugh out loud so thanks for that.

• 74 G // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Brilliant, thanks for that Lesh, been racking my brains trying to remember that name. I remember him coming round our school (Rutherford) showing images of them building Scotswood Bridge. Interesting guy, thanks for the link to the gallery too.

• 75 magscar // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Just caught your link @64 – good photo history Thanks for clarifying.

• 76 G // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Magscar, if memory serves Jimmy had an accident, which nearly cost him his eyes, hence his appearance. I think finding work in those days with limited sight was next to impossible, Jimmy had a camera, and sold his pictures, and very good pictures they were too.

• 77 magscar // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:22 PM

I get what you are saying but I see Willo as much as of the past as Taylor and Collo. Don’t forget we should have Goode about ready for next season

• 78 magscar // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:25 PM

They are and remind me of some of our family photos in 50’s which my uncle used to take and even have occasionally printed in Shields Gazette ( i think) competitions. Still good memories,

• 79 dok - the horrid colonial // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:38 PM

most planning for stadiums here, whatever the sport, seem to always include more than ample parking, and seating. I do not recall any incidents that caused anything to Hillsborough… but in light of that, understanding we have more land here than the home island, so easier here to plan and accommodate…

espn had the 30 for 30 series on Hillsborough last night, I watched about 5 minutes of it before tears welled up, and had to turn it off… my heart went out to all those affected…

• 80 Jail for Ashley // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Getting rid of Willo was just a way of further reducing costs without taking the playing side into consideration. We were as usual woefully short of numbers in defence and there was no need for him to go. We will have to buy a replacement for Collo now who might not be PL standard where as we could have kept Willo for an extra year while we bounced back in to the PL.

• 81 dok - the horrid colonial // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:45 PM

I just hope he chills out a bit, we all have our passions, but the blog denigrated to a state of ugliness ive not seen for a few years, it hurts, as this is one of the only ways of keep up with the brother and sisterhood of my extended toon family… I learn a lot, believe it or not, from all of you who are there, and it only serves to increase my own love and passion for this club…

on Saturday I went to a Liverpool pub my friend runs to watch the match, and of course, myself, my wife and lad were the only toon supporters there, but were made to feel more than welcome… needless to say, I was thrilled with the point, and one pool supporter, from Liverpool actually said how he has always respected our supporters, his words, ” you’ve been given so much shite the last 5-7 years, yet ive never met a one who chose to follow another club, and that passion is immense and that he hopes we stay up”

kind words I thought…
    sorry for the run-on…

• 82 magscar // Apr 27, 2016 at 12:52 PM

There was a brilliant drama/doc over here of Hillsborough in 90’s ? repeated a few years ago which I recorded but having watched it’s first showing have yet to watch again as it is harrowing if essential viewing.

Was also going to mention on my previous post that there was a very different culture surrounding football here back in the 70’s and 80’s in what had always been a predominantly working class male pursuit with few facilities. The growing hooligan culture was corrosive.

In USA sport seems to have been catered for more as a family outing – tailgate picnics, hotdog stands in stadium etc without boorish behavior in or outside and this no doubt contributes to the safety record.

Fortunately we are now in a different landscape over here in PL and Hillsborough, Bradford or Ibrox should never happen again in GB probably as a legacy of that awful day. I hope so.

• 83 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Have a look at the link I posted – near G’s question. You’ll see some of his work on the Amber site.

• 84 lesh // Apr 27, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Re yesterday’s ‘discussion’, it takes at least two to tango.

previous post: Surprise That Benitez Rates This Newcastle Player So Highly