The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I Loved Managing Newcastle – I’m Desperate They Stay Up

4:53 pm, Thursday, April 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

Alan Pardew held his press conference today for the game at Newcastle on Saturday, when he brings his Crystal Palace side to St. James’ Park in a game we must win if we are to have a decent chance of staying in the Premier League next season.

Alan has talked about loving his time at Newcastle – and certainly he got us to 5th top in 2012  – the highest position we have finished since Sir Bobby Robson was sacked in 2004 for only finishing 5th and missing out on a Champions League place.

alan pardew

Alan Pardew – while at Newcastle

And since Alan left we have struggled against relegation for the last 16 months or so and are currently 2nd bottom and that’s after spending £82M in the transfer market this season.

That’s due mainly to the poor choices of head coach the Board made in appointing John Carver and Steve McClaren, both of whom ended up getting the sack.

Pardew was asked what reception he expected from the Newcastle fans tomorrow:

“Well, I think that question is a little bit loaded. I know how I feel, that’s all I can determine.”

“I loved managing that football club and some fantastic games. A quarter-final of the Europa League, finishing fifth and winning Manager of the Year – so I had some great moments.”

“I also had some very difficult moments, it’s a difficult club to manage.”

“I want them to stay up.” “Those players are close to me, there’s a lot of players I managed there. I went through so much with those guys, not just on the pitch, but off it as well.”

“I am desperate they stay up, but having said that, my job is to get the three points with Crystal Palace and that’s with my professional head on.”

Newcastle were in 9th place with 26 points half way through last season when Alan left – and we finished up with 39 points and 6th bottom, with only 13 points picked up in the final 19 games and avoided relegation on the very last day.

If we can win our last three games, we will also end up with 39 points and a very good chance of avoiding relegation on the final day of the season for the second season running.

Here’s hoping.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Crystal Palace?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM

• 2 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:07 PM

magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Ibiza@18 last thread

Fair do’s – was rushing ?

See your point about Steve Wraith but not everyone is the same. I know the issue is more important ( in general terms) and the personalities shouldn’t intrude but of course they do at times. Even so is being anonymous not looking for problems with others? Anyway their decision which they have a perfect right to make.

• 3 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Ibiza@1

Just read it any idea what it means about

“and it will be down to individual clubs to decide whether to acknowledge the Coroner’s Court ruling.”

Oh hold on just read it again and they mean “publicise” “celebrate” and not “abide by” the actual result – Doh!

• 4 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:16 PM

dok/martoon/ibiza.
    Young Ibiza – deliberate prefix.
    As a young fellow making his way in life in a foreign country -I suspect in thirty years time you might have similar thoughts.
    Anyway here goes – will not repeat this or I’ll get killed/sent to the huffy bed.
    Growing up in a female family -without knowing it you have already been trained into thinking of your equality – you have not got it -you just think you have.
    Oh dear – logic – as a person renowned for fair play – you have failed the initial test – in even thinking logic -correctly applied
    should lead to – to lets say a fair outcome. Wrong.
    Maybe end post about this here – but in x numbers of years time when you’re musing -think back!

• 5 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:25 PM

On this female issue I get away with as much as I like at home ( largely female wider family) and I have been told it is OK for me to say it ( and this has been read and nothing to redact).

Seriously, in this virtual world similar civility rules should apply whatever the sex etc of the blogger you are in dialogue with or speaking of as in the real one. I try to respond as i am treated but with the brakes on in some cases as i do have further checks I prefer to abide by.

• 6 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Magscar…It certainly is. I read a lot of folk say things like “I can’t support it as I don’t know who they are”.

Can’t please everyone, all the time.

Tuff…I certainly am young, at 30 years old (actually 29, but I might as well round up and start depressing myself). However, I am wise enough to know I don’t really want to continue this discussion anymore. You may well be right in your opinion, I still think it’s an outdated and quite offensive view on things.

All people can be logical and fair, no matter their sex. I’ve experienced it, so really don’t need any further clarification from anyone else.

Anyway, back to football. Oh no, looks like we have some Pardew threads to contend with.

• 7 mark -ee- j-a-y // Apr 28, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Fk Pardew! If he hadn’t of forced ben arfa out then we could just give him the ball n he skin the lotta em lol

previous post: Newcastle Defender Reveals What’s Needed In Last 3 Games