The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Defender Reveals What’s Needed In Last 3 Games

1:21 pm, Thursday, April 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

We’ve been impressed with the attitude of some of our new young players who came in lats summer and have had to endure a very difficult season where the team has been struggling against relegation all season long.

We didn’t have too many good acquisitions in the summer in retrospect,  but one of them was 21 year-old former Anderlecht center-back Chancel Mbemba, who has been a starter for the club all season and has recently come back from injury to partner 22 year-old Jamaal Lascelles at the back.

And both youngsters have been playing well for Newcastle.

Chancel Mbemba +Norwich+City+v+Newcastle+United+ugJgs_PNhz4l

Chancel Mbemba – played well for Newcastle

The two more experienced center-backs – Fabricio Coloccini and Steven Taylor – haven’t played much this season.

Fabricio has been out since February 13th when we were hammered 5-1 at Chelsea and he injured his calf on the following Saturday in southern Spain and will not return to action this season.

Colo played 22 times with one goal this season and this will probably be his last season after eight years on Tyneside.

Steven Taylor has had another injury-hit season and played only seven times for the first team.

In his last game the local lad was dragged off at half time at Southampton after having an error strewn first half and like Colo – is unlikely to play again for Newcastle.

Chancel has talked in the Chronicle about the loss of Coloccini, which robs us of a lot of experience at the back in these vital games:

“We’ve got a situation where there are a few people injured at the moment, Coloccini is one of them. That’s the reality of life.

“We can just work hard to make sure we try to get back fit and play when we can.”

“Football is a strange game but we just need to keep working hard to make sure we grind out those results.

We need to do that for the fans, they deserve that and it’s what we are working hard to do.

“It’s the same for any game – you have to go into it believing you can win.”

Mbemba has a great attitude and other youngsters at the club with similar attitudes include Lascelles, Perez, Dummett, Darlow and Mitrovic – who seems to have calmed down a bit after a stormy start to the season.

Add in young Adam Armstrong and just think how Rafa Benitez can make these lads into much better players next season.

We just have to ensure we keep Rafa at the club whatever happens in the last three games.

That’s the really important thing if Newcastle are to have a bright future.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Crystal Palace?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Chancel Mbemba · Coaching · Injuries · Newcastle News · Other News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League · Press

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Said all along that our future is likely to be bright, but more so if we stay up and keep Rafa. We have got some extremely talented young players who will only improve with experience. Even if we went down and kept the young uns, I’m sure we’ll bounce back with the right leadership. Not convinced Rafa will bail either, i think he likes it here! 😉

• 2 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM

Ibiza, with repect marra, we’re ALL anonymous on here if you think about it. Nobody knows anybody else – or very few anyway. 😉

• 3 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Bobby…To some degree. In the past, I have been far too relaxed about my identity, which was my particular point.

Whilst I’m sure it was a tongue in cheek comment, I have no reason to hide who I am, what I believe or what I’m up to.

However, I do get why the group wanted to be anonymous. Previously any attempts were ridiculed simply because of characters involved with it.

Which always made me laugh, when you consider the alternative is to side with characters such as Charnley or previously Llambias. Just seemed a moot point to me.

Anyway, I’m wandering off topic (for a change). Was there a even a topic at play?

Ah yes, just seen your post on the previous thread. I really do recommend emailing both Ed and The Mag too. Every little helps. But I think you can leave Tesco out of it.

• 4 barkel // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Would people be happy with Mbemba & Lascelles as our starting CB’s next season regardless of what league we’re in?

• 5 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Sadly i have to leave now, but don’t go getting excited, it’s not forever. I will be back later i suspect. You don’t get rid that easily. 😉

• 6 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:46 PM

I personally thought the blog was better without its presence to be honest.

• 7 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Ibiza, sadly the reason i have to go is because i simply can’t sit up writing any longer! Didn’t wish to reveal that in case i was accused of looking for sympathy again lmao, but sending any more e mails will have to wait until i can straighten myself out again. Looking very quasimodoesque right now. 🙂

• 8 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Bobby…Despite our disagreements, i’d be disappointed if you were to leave. Despite what people think, I’m a big fan of debate. Without opposing views, this blog got seriously boring.

I just wish it could be more of a debate, rather than a slinging match. Perhaps we can change that over time. Have a good one.

YoungMag…Take a lie down and stop talking about yourself. It’s a bit odd.

• 9 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:50 PM

I really hope the ‘YNWA’ idea is successful because it’s a beautiful gesture and the families of the Hillsborough tragedy deserve it. Any fan that makes a mockery of us if we do go ahead with it are just plain vile… Jib. Lol jk.

• 10 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Bobby I feel ya on the quasimodo-esque stature, I’m the same from all the lifting I’ve had to do at work all week. Although I understand that yours can’t be helped so mine doesn’t really compare. Sorry to hear about your pain, feel better matey.

• 11 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Ibiza

Very quick witted… For you. Fair play.

• 12 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:56 PM

YoungMag…Ouch. Now I need to go for a lie down.

• 13 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Ibiza, I’m going to take your word when I get back from work. My back is aching so a lay down will be welcoming. Great suggestion sir.

• 14 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Ibiza@86 lst thread

Going out again shortly on school run but briefly having caught your response :-

I thought you wanted to drop it?

I said “if” there is point scoring – can you score against an organisation you have never had a dialogue with?

You mentioned Ashley out then – without looking back at what i had read this morning I merely said it had been mentioned but couldn’t recall where?

Weird way of dropping things but I always try to respond if prompted.

Bye for now 🙂

• 15 martoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Tsunki @83 (last topic)
    I agree and I’m still puzzled why she randomly had a pop at me as well as Magscar as I don’t remember falling out with her before her self-imposed exile.
    I’ve said before and I’ll say it again I’ve no allies or enemies on here because I don’t know any of you except Markaccus who is an ex-work colleague.

• 16 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 2:14 PM

Ibiza
    just seen 3 above

why would the characters attempts be ridiculed? Just don’t get it.

• 17 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 2:34 PM

Bee sting victims should never waste their time trying to figure out the female mind. You’ll be on for years and never ever reach a conclusion anyway.
    Apologies to any females if that is sexist – probably is – but it is the experience of one that has also tried………………..and failed miserably.

• 18 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Magscar…”Weird way of dropping things but I always try to respond if prompted.” Agreed. Do you not realise you asked questions of me on the post after I had asked for us to drop it?

I was merely doing the same as you, responding to not be rude. I can see our problem going forward though. I just asked you yet another question.

I think I’ll just assume you get the point.

As for your use of “if”, okay, no problem, I would have thought if it wasn’t the case at all, you’d have just said so, not opened up the possibility that I was right.

As for your last question. Steve Wraith as an example. I personally don’t care for the guy and he would and has put me off certain fan action previously.

Enjoy your day.

• 19 danny0011 // Apr 28, 2016 at 2:40 PM

Hello All,

Registered long ago and haven’t posted for quite some time but have decided it’s time to make my comeback!

I honestly feel over the past few weeks I haven’t seen NUFC defend as well for a good 3-4 years! Yes we are still hit with incompetence at the back but what Rafa is doing with such limited resources is nothing short of incredible.

Anita is throwing himself into tackles left right and centre and seems to have found a fantastic workrate! Mbemba is looking like a really solid defender (And will be even more so if we can keep him on next season, whatever division we might be in). Jamal looks like he could be an excellent defender (Dare I even say a future England defender with the right guidance) but perhaps a year too soon for him!

If we were to stay up and get a really decent solid centre back in next year I honestly think we could and should be looking at a 10+ finish!

That’s assuming were not lining up against Rotherham and Bristol City… but I still have hope…

Fancy us to put 2-3 past Pardew’s bunch tomorrow… They are definitely going to be holding back for the final and I just think Papiss might get 1 or 2… Here’s hoping!

• 20 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 2:40 PM

Tuff…I 100% disagree. If we don’t seek to understand anothers point of view, never mind their sex, what hope do we have?

• 21 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 2:56 PM

I’ll jump in here boys as peacemaker – let’s just chill boys.
    We should not really be having any cross words in the early afternoon.
    Let’s all be friendly and respectful to each other…………………………………………………………………..well at least until tonight when a few loonies will appear.
    Back to the usual mayhem fighting like ferrets in a sack – then sense will prevail and we can have a love in and praise one another (even with everything crossed).
    The latest love in was a tearful trip down memory lane – Newcastles Music Scene in the sixties and seventies. I was so emotional about the tales (probably tall) of legendary bluesmen and the pioneers of popular music.
    It was so emotional I could not even join in with my true tales of Newcastles Music Scene – so I donned my smoking jacket, got out the pipe and sat in my rocking chair in front of the well stoked up fire and dreamt about those early years. I felt like Val Doonican on a Saurday night – it was too much.
    That blog love fest will keep me going until the next ferrets in a sack ruck.
    The blog at it’s best.

• 22 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Ibiza – do not waste your time man – the ladies run the show – we might not want to believe it -but it’s true.
    Just say yes, agree and go with the flow.

• 23 Dantheman0011 // Apr 28, 2016 at 3:11 PM

Also, side note… I have been looking through the last 4/5 stories and when did we all stop talking about the football? It seems to just be endless strings of talking about how we should speak to each other and various other topics that are not really related to our beloved NUFC…

I am all about freedom of speech etc… But I for one just want to chat to like minded Toon fans about our wonderful (But incredibly tiring) football team…

Just something to think about…

• 24 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 3:11 PM

Tuff…Growing up in a family of women, I’ve learnt that more often than not, they tend to be right. Of course not all women agree even, so it’s not a golden rule.

I’ve never been one to just accept things I don’t understand. So shall continue to question things I can’t comprehend, no matter who it has come from. Which was my point.

As far as this blog goes, there is plenty of stuff from supposed men that has me scratching my head, so see no need to make this a BandB issue. Much like the issue of what type of fan someone is, it has no real place on here, I don’t see what someones sex does either.

An opinion or point should stand on it’s own merit.

From your response to BandB, it did appear you got the point, but disagreed. So I’ve no idea what this is about now. Was her response to you not clear?

• 25 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Anyway, I’m off out for a bit.

Catch y’all later.

• 26 Harley // Apr 28, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Danny0011

I agree with you, even dummet has looked better. It’s just a shame Benitez didn’t come a few games earlier.

If we win our next 2 games I honestly believe our destiny will be in our own hands. I just can’t see Sunderland beating Stoke and Chelsea and I can’t see Norwich beating Arsenal and Man U.

• 27 Graeme // Apr 28, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Harley, If Norwich get a single point against Arse and Manure, it will be miraculous!! Sunderland could well get 2 points from their two games against Stoke and Chelski.

As long as we take 6 points from Palace and Villa, we will then be in charge of our own destiny against Spuds – who will already have 2nd place sown up and therefore little to play for.

Here’s hoping!!

• 28 dok - the horrid colonial // Apr 28, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Just say yes, agree and go with the flow.

truer words were never spoken…

happy wife, happy life 🙂

• 29 martoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Tuff @17 Yes you’re probably right despite what Ibiza thinks.
    Anyway I think if we can get a win on Saturday it could put us in a decent position especially as the other two have to play 3 games in a week!

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Apr 28, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Graeme,
    If the mackems get two points against Stoke and Chelsea does that not leave them having to slip up against Everton for it to be in our hands again.

• 31 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Happy wife, happy life, no doubt. I’m just not sure who these women are who are happy being patronised by just being agreed with, no matter what.

Not sure that’s what respect is all about, but each to their own.

• 32 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Ibiza@18 last thread

Fair do’s – was rushing 🙂

See your point about Steve Wraith but not everyone is the same. I know the issue is more important ( in general terms) and the personalities shouldn’t intrude but of course they do at times. Even so is being anonymous not looking for problems with others? Anyway their decision which they have a perfect right to make.

previous post: Time To Get Over Alan Pardew And Bury The Hatchet