The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Time To Get Over Alan Pardew And Bury The Hatchet

9:26 am, Thursday, April 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 87 Comments

Alan Pardew should be remembered at Newcastle for getting us into 5th place in 2012 and only just missing out on a Champions League place.

That year he became the only Newcastle manager ever to win the Premier League Manager of the Year award and the PFA Manager of the Year Award.

But after 2012, Alan´s star on Tyneside dropped, but it also seems he was not successful in getting players in  he wanted and Graham Carr ruled the roost on transfers.

Alan Pardew home to QPR

Alan Pardew – while at Newcastle

That´s becoming even more apparent since Pardew left us about 16 months ago and that has also coincided with Newcastle´s fortunes in the Premier League having dropped precipitously.

Since Alan left us we have played 54 games in the Premier League and won only 10 and lost 31, but that´s more a function of Lee Charnley´s terrible choices for the  head coach position.

Lee Charnley appointed the woeful John Carver and then the just sacked Steve McClaren last summer, because they were easy choices for him – but terrible choices  for Newcastle United.

There is obviously still some ill will towards Pardew from some quarters on Tyneside, but Alan is no longer at the club and he did his best when he was here.

It´s time to move on and hopefully when the former Newcastle manager brings his team to St. James’ Park on Saturday afternoon we can get all 3 points.

That  should be all that matters on Saturday, since Palace have not had a happy time of things this year in the Premier League, even though they have done great in the FA Cup and will face Manchester United in the final next month.

Time to move on from Alan Pardew, especially since we now have the best  manager we have had at the club since Sir Bobby Robson was here and had us in the top four of the Premier League over 12 years ago.

There are more important things to think (and worry) about at Newcastle these days than Alan Pardew.

Let´s  move on and bury the hatchet.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League

87 responses so far ↓

• 1 posada // Apr 28, 2016 at 9:30 AM

It’s time to bury the hatchet.
    I know where I’d like to bury it, but won’t go there.
    I will love it if we beat them, love it.
    I will love it !
    Hope Pardew has that look on his face after the game.
    You know the one where he looks like he is having a bad reaction to eating shell fish.

• 2 Jib // Apr 28, 2016 at 9:35 AM

They are obviously a bit simple at the Ronnie Gill.

Why dredge all this up the Thursday before one of the most important games for years.

No matter what opinion is/was held about AP raking over smoulering coals is not helpful.

• 3 reilly // Apr 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM

the headline makes it sound like we are all jilted lovers. 😆
    i never had to get over percy because i was never into him.

• 4 VanToonMan // Apr 28, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Just wish Stoke had Shaqiri and Butland fit.

Fingers crossed Stoke at least draw (ideally win) and we smash Palace. Pleaseeeeeeeee can this happen?! [Arsenal Norwich should take care of itself]

As for Pardew – it’s a tough one – on the one hand he did like our club and may not want to be the reason we go down – on the other hand he might want to prove a point – but there is only so much he can do from the sidelines – in contrast – most of the players played under Pardew previously and hopefully they will want to prove a point on the pitch too

• 5 Jib // Apr 28, 2016 at 9:47 AM

smouldering even

• 6 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Jib…That’s what reporters do. We face Pardew this weekend, of course his time at NUFC will get attention.

I think the article read well and didn’t go overboard with criticism of NUFC. The biggest one was that they took too long to take action this season in replacing managers. Hard to argue the point.

Where is the Ashley Out campaign currently at?

“Our feelings about Mike Ashley certainly haven’t changed – Newcastle United needs ridding of his poisonous influence for the good of its long term future, but for now we are in the same place as every other supporter, right behind Rafa and the players for the final three games.”

Can’t argue with that, either.

• 7 Jib // Apr 28, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Mike Dean reffing is a worry
    He makes some strange decisions

• 8 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 9:54 AM

I don’t think too many had faith in Pardews planning for us, so I’m not sure why we’d be overly worried about his planning against us.

Of course anything can happen. If we can play like we have the past few games, then really, we should be more than fine.

“Since Christmas, only one club in English professional football (Aston Villa) have a worse record than Crystal Palace, who have won 1 of their last 18 league games. Justified? 100%.”

This however is NUFC and lord knows we don’t like doing things the easy way, but surely we can already consider this season doing it the hard way?

• 9 Jib // Apr 28, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Saturdays ref Mike Dean and the ref we should have had for our last game Martin Atkinson
    They have both done a bout 30 PL matches
    They have both dished out about 100 yellow cards
    However red cards
    Martin Atkinson 1 Mike Dean 9 (the most )
    No stats for pens but Dean seems to be constantly embroiled in contentious penalty decisions .

• 10 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Jib…That doesn’t bode well with the role Tiote had been playing well lately. He’ll have to be on his best behaviour, whilst still putting them off their game.

I don’t watch Palace games. What’s their disciplinary record like?

• 11 Jib // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Your’e right of course Ibiza
    Mark Douglas is just doing what he gets paid for.
    My reaction is probably affected by my extreme squeakybumness 😀

• 12 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Mike Dean is a crap referee – another one who knows the rules but does not know the game.
    He probably does his best – like most of the others but in this day and age – electronic assistance is overdue.

Some piercing comments earlier on this morning -no need for any talons to be sharpened – talons sharper than anything I’ve seen for a while – laser cut talons.

• 13 Ron Knee // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:03 AM

But we did revert to type in the first half of the Liverpool match.

• 14 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Jib…”ESB syndrome”? I know it well. Hasn’t been helped by my falling off my seat at reading “Your’e right of course Ibiza”.

Ron Knee…Yes, but we reacted, rather than folded and continue with that same cr@p. Certainly reason for some optimism, imo.

• 15 Jib // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:10 AM

• 16 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Read the King Percy compilation of interviews last night.
    He makes it quite clear that he knew the transfer policy BEFORE he joined. He then revealed that players were bought for club/business/money reasons and DEFINITELY not a policy which got players to supplement the team.
    Whilst he may have wanted more in terms of the missing jigsaw pieces, as all managers do, he signed up knowing what was in store beforehand.
    He was therefore clearly an agent of Mr Tubbs policies.

Can we be sure anything has changed -really – I really do not see any evidence.
    Fans are still treated with disdain -us and them attitude still prevails – to the detriment of all.
    King Percy = trusted lieutenant of Mr Tubbs.

• 17 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Tuff…Which compilation of interviews?

Do you have a link?

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:22 AM

We should have all moved on from caring what Pardew did, does, or will do long ago unless it directly impacts on NUFC in the present. I understand Ed and journo’s doing it as it always gets a bite.

The only thing that matters is that we come away with three points. That would be the same regardless of who their manager is. It will be the same against Villa, and against Spurs. I hope any anti Pardew feeling is put to one side as the fans get behind the team, at least until we have the 3 points in the bag.

We have 3 games to do everything we can to give ourselves the best chance of survival. Even winning all 3 doesn’t guarantee safety, although I’d be surprised if both Norwich and Sunderland pick up the required points for it not to.

• 19 catchy in norway // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Oh wow, i know where id like to bury the hatchet, the guy may have got us to fifth, but none of it was planed. we got there because 2 teams ( LPool and Chelsea ) had very poor seasons, and we had 2 strikers that scored wonder goal after wonder goal, things you can not teach or plan for.

the fact that 3rd place was up for grabs, but P45 was to affraid to drop Ba from the LW where he contributed 0 nothing nada and went in the huff,
    P45 did not manage the team, he kept his favourite playes happy, inspite of what was best for the team.

Rafa, thinks of the team and what is best for the club, he is not afraid of dropping anyone. thats what being a manager is, thats what he gets paid for.

we seen some of the worst football in a long time from him, and went on some terrible runs without winning under him, his record and his excuses will and should never be forgotten

• 20 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Mister Tuff

If I hadn’t been unnecessarily mentioned along with Martoon I would have left her brash re-entrance unheralded and not saw any need to comment accurate though they were.

You were bearable without your need to act as wingman

• 21 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Wounds are too deep for some to move on. Hopefully the right result and getting his first return here over with will lance the boil.

• 22 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Magscar – wingman ?????????.I fly solo.

Ibiza – hang fire I’ll get the link – from the Chronic.
    Good compilation -allows a better understanding of the situation when it is all in one piece.

• 23 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Ibiza- link :-

It has all been reported before – compilation of interviews from all sources since his departure – but having it all together is much better to read.

• 24 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Just seen this from the “mini-el classico”

What a free kick. Sign the lad up and get him in the first team asap.

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Hopefully. We have enough divisive topics on this blog without arguing about a manager who has long gone….

3 points and defeats for both the mackems and Norwich will be a good Saturday.

• 26 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Tuff…Just reading it now, thank you.

This comment has me scratching my head. It’s not important, but I can’t seem to make sense of it.

Just weeks after he departed Tyneside in January 2015, Pardew also described Newcastle as a “strange club” because of on-field results.

He said: “Newcastle’s a strange club in that it’s dominant in 60 per cent of games and not dominant in 40 per cent.

“You’ve got to get the balance right. At Palace, we won’t be dominant in 80 per cent of games.”

Is that to imply that it’s better to only be dominant in 80% of games?

• 27 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Mister Tuff

I accepted your word a day or so ago as I like to do with all where it is plausible – but not wingman – Nah he protests too much – sorry but there is only one Squadron Leader and you aren’t her 🙂

• 28 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:08 AM

There is also the need to be proven right all along so I don’t expect that it will go away after Sat. Cuts both ways of course – did facilitating his departure really solve the problem or pave the way for it to be sorted?

• 29 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Ibiza – I did not get the 80% bit either – bit confusing.

• 30 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:13 AM

yes can’t argue with that but what I have missed was what the campaign was doing pre Benitez?

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:14 AM

It certainly goes both ways, there are those that are determined to defend him, and those that are keen to jump on any slip up he has.

I’ll wait and see if it gets sorted before I comment on that last bit though! Last summer a lot of people were saying that the signings were McClaren’s. I was never convinced, and I’ll wait and see as we move forward.

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:17 AM

I think what he means is that a team who dominates 60% and not the other 40% shows a lot of inconsistency, whereas a team who dominates or is dominated for 80%+ is consistent.

Of course there is another answer that the club is around mid table and is better than 60% but not the other 40% which seems equally plausible as inconsistency.

• 33 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Magscar…It helped identify “the problem” imo. Which was a big step. Did it pave the way for it to be sorted? Well, it didn’t seem that he was going anywhere if it was left to him, or the board.

I guess the counter argument is whether we’d be where we are now with Pardew? For me, it never has been the point. We could do better than Pardew, right now we have better than him.

Shame it took 18 months (ish) since he left for them to actually upgrade the position.

Tuff…Not just me then. As per the comments section on that thread. It’s all well and good him saying these things now, but if he pushed these points more whilst he was still manager, I don’t think he’d have received quite the same backlash from fans

Still, he’s gone and is now completely irrelevant to us, other than when discussing whether structure has changed within the club, by means of comparison from then to now.

For me, that’s a job for after the task at hand is complete. The fight for safety.

• 34 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Magscar…As far as I am aware, not a hell of a lot.

It should demonstrate that those who get grouped together are in fact free thinking individuals, that don’t all sing from the same hymn sheet on everything, and that also, the best interest of the club is at the forefront of their thoughts.

People were happy to see how the re-structure went. Just like they know now is the time to support the team to the end to try and avoid relegation.

Do you think they should have been doing more this season?

Lil…That makes some sense, thank you. Still, not sure championing being consistently (80% of the time) outclasssed is a good thing.

He also says he thinks the team was doing well, based on what he had available and that we at times punched above our weight. Seems like he wants the best of both worlds. As we both keep saying though, hardly important anymore.

• 35 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Magscar – you will be aware that I was also mentioned/stung and just found your reply very amusing and not in any detrimental way at all.

I was minded to think of of being stung by a bee last year in France whilst driving to a festival. I felt something on my leg and brushed whatever it was away – needless to say -it was a bee and it stung my thumb. I have never known such intense and immediate pain – lasted about a minute and that was it.
    You will be aware that a bee dies after stinging – it can only sting once in contrast to a wasp which can sting multiple times and not die.
    My thoughts whether it interests you or not.

• 36 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:28 AM

I think the way transfers work(ed) here they were too far down the line when McClaren came in for him to have had nothing more than a veto at best. I seem to recall he voiced his approval of Gini – a player he would have known well and I suspect that he would have been aware of Mitro and Mbemba.

January is different and there was clearly a different approach at play whether Shelvey and Townsend were his direct calls isn’t public but the signs do seem to point that way.

Personally I thought Shelvey would have been the better of the 2 ( still might of course) but I have been pleasantly surprised with Townsend’s sustained impact and overall approach. We had all seen flashes of his talent but like a lot of us I was doubtful he could be consistent.

For the future things have to change surely – for me I cling to the hope Benitez stays whatever – not infallible but a giant leap in the right direction.

• 37 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:28 AM

I’m not sure he meant it as a good thing like that, more that you know where you stand if your team are consistently being outclassed and can set up/prepare for that likely outcome. When you are inconsistent then it is harder to know which way to set the team up for certain games and allows greater margin for tactical error.

I could well be wrong, but that is the way I read that statement.

• 38 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Lil…It’s a plausible answer. I couldn’t come up with one.

It’s just a pity that he doesn’t appear to realise that it’s the managers job to sort out a teams consistency.

• 39 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Maybe just me, but I couldn’t care less about pardew either way. He gave us some good times, he gave us more bad times, but he’s gone now. What i really want is to beat Palace for the real reason – to go into the next game with still a chance of survival. He wasn’t great for us, but he’s been great for nobody, so that shouldn’t come as a surprise. In fact, is his record this year actually worse than ours? (Cup final aside obviously, i mean in the PL). Unless he wins the cup he’s just another loser with a team in the bottom five or whatever. No, don’t hate the guy, but have no love for him either. Three points is all i care about.

• 40 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Ibiza – problem for me is that we do not know exactly what went one behind the scenes.
    did Pardew ask for players – specific – and was he knocked back.
    Did Carr suggest any would be superstars which were knocked backed.
    If Percy did not need certain players (which he infers) why did he play them – especially relevant when he had said previously there was no interferance from the high ups about team selection.
    I suspect we will never find out the “order of play” anybody leaving the club in the summer -Carr ?? will be gagged.

• 41 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:33 AM

I’ve been very impressed with Townsend so far. I think the January signings were more a combination of factors leaning towards their recruitment, rather than an actual change in policy. We had been linked with both long before McClaren arrived at the club.

I think both signings, but Shelvey in particular, were signed in part because our main target in that role was not available to us due to our poor standing in the league. Had we been top half, I doubt either would have come in, but I think we still would have looked at players in their positions, again, particularly Shelvey.

• 42 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Mister Tuff

Thanks. Very enlightening although I did know the difference between bee and wasp stings. You could assist though in clarifying whether Queen Bees actually leave the hive and sting or is that just the workers. Not crucial of course as we are deep in metaphor land here ( mixed at that but it’s only a blog) 🙂

Oh and glad you were amused a first for me I think!

• 43 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Ibiza – relevance for me is knowing what happened historically might ensure the same “mistakes” do not occur again and the supporters are led down the garden path again.
    Also relevant was King Percys’ comment that in his assessment the club was going nowhere – which is/was probably very true.

• 44 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Shelvey has disappointed me but I remember similar feelings with Nolan ( great buy then we’ve been had!) when he came in but he really took off in following seasons – hope that isn’t an omen 🙂

I think Rafa’s choices are very restricted by how he is planning each game as it comes and that only. Staying up and I trust we will see more flexibility as the pressure for a result isn’t as overriding and a longer term strategy and tactics can evolve.

• 45 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:42 AM

I noticed the other day, possibly in the mag? that Cabaye was saying that he thinks Newcastle and Palace fans are the best in the country. Well, he’d have to include Palace fans in that or he’d get crucified, so reading between the lines…
    Lets see what size minibus they use this time before passing comment! 😉

• 46 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Mags, i think you hit the nail squarely marra. Right now he’s not bothered how it looks, just making us hard to beat and good organisation is his main target. If he stays, we’ll see something very different next season. He’ll still have the team well organised and hard to beat, but it will be easier on the eye – and by consequence easier on the ticker! 😉

• 47 bettyswallocks // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:49 AM

McC was obviously hired with the assurances of a transfer budget which he had some input as to how it was spent. Mitro, Mbemba, and Saivet were Carr’s choices but with McC’s acceptance. Townsend and Shelvey imho were not Carr type signings so this is where the rigid transfer policy appeared to be softening and were obviously picked by Schteve.
    The one that caused the controversy was Thauvin as McC didn’t seem at all impressed . However as we know Thauvin was a long standing target of Carr and there could have been a provisional deal made with his agent a while ago.

• 48 Rotonda heights // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:52 AM

think we all know where we would like to bury the hatchet.

Ed still giving credit for 1 good season and totally forgetting the other 3 where AP broke all records for the wrong reasons. The reading at home, 0-6 at home to liverpool and all the scum games still hurt.

CP with all of cabaye, Bolasie, Zaha, Pucheon etc, are 16th for a reason and a 5 game run to wembley can’t disguise that.

Knowing our luck CP will finally come out of their horrendously dire run and beat us, while we watch the smug, arrogant (with very little to be arrogant about) one go smirking off. Please god no.

• 49 Mister Tuff // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Magscar – I do believe the Queen Bee does nothing other than produce – but still retains her sting capability. She never leaves the nest unless they begin to swarm and is fully attended to by the workers.
    Back end of the autumn I was up on the roof fitting a new digital tv aerial to one of the chimneys – which had been “capped” years ago when gas central heatiing was installed. The chimney had been drilled to prevent dampness.
    Anyway whilst up on the roof noticed bees entering the drill holes – bloody nest in the chimney. So I have that to sort out – whilst I do not like harming bees at all – unfortunately they will be meeting their maker shortly -care of some sprays bought at Homebase.
    So whilst bees can swarm and change nests/homes it does not always work out to their advantage.

• 50 Rotonda heights // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Me too, townsend has shut me up completely

• 51 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Betty, it’s Carr’s relationship with agents that bothers me to be honest. How easy is it for an agent to say ‘buy this guy and i’ll cut you in on my fee.’ I’m not saying that happened, but some of Carr’s buys have been bizarre. The whole of France knew that Thauvin was on the wane, but Carr goes and pays silly money for him. The first time he appeared in the PL he not only looked unfit, but unfit for purpose.

• 52 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Tuff…Absolutely, I get that totally. As you say though, will we ever know? Who is going to clarify such things?

The only way I can to see to gauge it is to see what follows and try and judge if things appear different.

• 53 Ron Knee // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Wasn’t the Cabella (remember him?) loan-out part of the deal?

• 54 Rotonda heights // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:58 AM

ibiza at 26

I think it basically implies very little ”pass and move” football, surrender possession and try and nick one in the last 15 mins. wouldn’t think percy has changed much.

• 55 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Ron, i believe he may have been, but that was another of Carr’s disasters! Either way, we’ll never see that money again, it’s gone.

• 56 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:00 PM

On Ashley Out I made a reference because it had been their stated aim that Pardew was only their first domino ( or to that effect).

After having achieved that aim ( if that is what they believe ) then it surely follows that the next stage falls into place especially after Carver debacle and yet another near miss.

I don’t follow them at all and rely on references on here so it is entirely possible that I have missed out on what they have been up to since Pardew went and we survived last season

I would have thought that after all the rhetoric and the sheer anti-climax of McClaren’s appointment ( for most of us) the campaign would have hit top gear to sustain momentum.

Perhaps it did but I honestly have missed it.

Leads me to speculate whether it is the case that they are opportunist and realised that the mood was not yet swinging back their way. If so and keeping their powder dry has seemingly ended up in their being wrong-footed by the out of the blue Benitez appointment.

I think I would have had more respect for their stated stance if they had kept on regardless of others “wait and see” approach and mean what they say.

Anyway perhaps it has all been happening and being away from the city and relying second hand on the Blog, and Newsnow feeds I am mistaken. I stand to be corrected if the actual situation is different.

• 57 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Bobby…I was thinking about the YNWA thing. Perhaps you should drop both Ed and The Mag an email requesting they put something on their threads?

I know Ed does it for all sorts of things, including helping Uni students with their surveys etc, so would imagine he’d be happy to help.

• 58 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:04 PM

We needed defenders and a top striker. We bought more midfielders. Those purchases weren’t beneficial for the Toon at that moment in time, we all knew where the problems lay. If they were weren’t for the benefit of the team, who did benefit? When you cast around and see the corruption in society in general where big bucks are concerened, and in football abroad, i think it’s very naive to believe it isn’t rife in England also. People are people the world over.

• 59 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:05 PM

In fairness, that is what Rafa does anyway, he gets teams well organised and well drilled defensively. I doubt we would see too much difference in how he approached games if he were to stay long term.

I think the main difference long term is he will look to bring in pliers best suited to the roles he wants them to play. At the minute he has them working for him, but I’d imagine he would prefer players who are a better fit for his system.

• 60 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Mister Tuff

I can see why you may have an aversion to bees even of the Blobby kind (to simply quote you) given your experiences of late 🙂

I haven’t been stung but my daughter was when she was very young and she still freezes when ever one approaches. Having said that have probably set myself up for an attack this summer!

• 61 bettyswallocks // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Shelvey was promised a more forward role by McC as he stated it in an interview. He had a couple of good games particularly against West Ham when he was orchestrating the midfield , but Rafa doesn’t seem to want him too far forward at the minute. We’ll have to wait and see on that one. Townsend has been outstanding and Rafa seems to rate him big time. That’s why I was upset that he was being slated before he kicked a ball by the likes of Rotonda. To be fair he has admitted that he has been pleasantly surprised by his contribution .

• 62 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Ibiza, beginning to think it’s probably too late marra, with only two days left. Had we had a weeks full notice i would’ve willingly got onto talksport and kick a campaign off from there, so the whole country joined in, not just us. Would have been such a show of solidarity if every home ground in the country sanf YNWA just before kick off, but i think maybe that boat’s sailed already. Too little time to get it organised.

• 63 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:09 PM

In Carr’s defence, most scouts have close contacts with certain agencies and will look to push players from those agencies. The only reason it is son noticeable in Carr’s case is because most scouts at clubs do not have one of the final says on whether the layers comes in. The problem is Carr being elevated into a position of seniority above his station and the systems put in place by Ashley.

• 64 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Twitter is the best place to get something like that sorted. Tweet it to a few high profile people, some of the journalists and clubs using the #JFT96. It wouldn’t take long for it to be trending on twitter.

• 65 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Yes – I was driving at that scenario but perhaps not as clearly.

I think he is being even more single minded than his reputation suggests. He has had his fingers burnt once or twice already (e.g. Taylor’s reappearance notwithstanding his clear lack of fitness – match or otherwise).

It would be good to get to a situation where we are relying purely on our own results and not others but it may take until final day, which I would rather not happen but whatever it takes.

Thought we had finished with this type of nerve shredding run-in last season 🙁

• 66 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Lil, agree mate, but it does increasingly look like he only shops at certain agencies and no matter how we view that, it isn’t beneficial for the club. If he’d rather spend our money only at certain ‘shops’, then he’s missing out on a huge swathe of available talent. His current position is incredibly tempting for him to increase his pension fund! 🙂 Not saying he is, but i’d feel better if that silly situation was corrected. A scout should be a scout, he shouldn’t have any real power in the final decision, imo anyway.

• 67 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Good call. That is what I am driving at – take away the desperate situation Benitez is in then training can be opened up to included other shapes etc to try on and even into first halves of matches.

• 68 bettyswallocks // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Bobby……. Carr has recommended several players from this particular agent and the club seem to have an ongoing relationship there. If a provisional deal was made , then they may have seen it through to prevent jeopardising future deals etc. I think Ashley would be a bit shrewder than wor Graham so can’t imagine he would be able to nick a few quid from a deal that Cashley wouldn’t be aware of.

• 69 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Lil, i don’t do twitter marra, i wouldn’t know where to begin. 😉 This tablet is about as techy as i get!

• 70 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:21 PM

I can’t see it not going to the last day. Everton and Watford have a key part to play in the run in for us, with both playing Norwich and Sunderland in the final 2 fixtures.

Hopefully Everton’s players will give it everything for the fans at home on the last day of the season and Watford will give Flores either a performance to persuade him to stay, or a good send off before he goes to Valencia.

Relying on a Martinez side and Watford potentially to save us is not a scenario I would have liked to imagine at any stage of the season. Hopefully we have picked up 6 points by then and have given ourselves a bit of breathing space from Norwich (Arsenal and Man U next 2 for them). Could be between us and Sunderland by the last day.

• 71 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Betty, maybe not from our funds directly, but if an agent offers him a bung to sign a misfit like Thauvin, Ashley wouldn’t know a thing about it. Is it 10pc an agent gets? Whatever it is, on 14m it’s a canny earner! Even at two pc. An agent could make Carr a canny offer to sign his player. Just an idea from an old cynic. 🙂

• 72 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:26 PM

I fully agree. It is a product of the system though, rather than Carr being anymore in the pocket of an agency then many scouts. It was crazy to appoint him and McClaren to the board (and Moncur).

Let’s see what the summer brings, the last 3 have seen minimal changes, or cosmetic ones. Hopefully there will be big changes even if Rafa doesn’t stay.

As for techy, I’m not great myself but I’m sure there will be a few on here who would be able to get it going. Send to clubs, players, journo’s and it wouldn’t take long for it to take off I wouldn’t have thought.

• 73 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Rotonda@48last para

Agghhh- did you really have to put in writing what we are all fearing 🙁

For once can’t we have a happy ending – please

Whoa – felt a Smiths song coming on there but will save it for another moment if it is needed.

• 74 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Magscar…I would suggest you go to source to obtain the information you’re after.

It was “Pardew Out” for Alan. Once Carver was instated and we were plummeting towards relegation, despite being quite comfortable prior, it was “Ashley Out”.

You’re disappointed that they haven’t campaigned this season?

Something I think you always need to keep in mind. They are fans, that just want the best for our club. It’s not about personal vendettas, just the greater good. Many have been waiting to see if Ashley truly did see the light or is even looking to try. If he did, I don’t think anybody would object. Believing that he has is another story all together though.

Anyway, for further clarification, you need to contact them directly. I wasn’t, nor am I part of it. I did support it last season at the time.

Can we drop it now, I haven’t, nor am I keen to discuss it at this stage. It’s just not important, we’re all to pull together at this stage and this comes across as point scoring.

Bobby…Possibly, but perhaps worth a try. Getting it around all PL games is not really our responsibility. Would have been nice,but no reason not to give SJP a go.

Nice to see some recognition that fan action needs some managing and planning though. If you want something, you do what you can to make it happen.

• 75 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Wish it were different but a realistic shout I think.

Popping out now – back later

• 76 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Well, over to you in the know then. Get firing those tweets (?) at famous people. 😉

Lil, i can see major changes if Rafa stays and truly believe Charnley abd Carr’s jobs are untenable now. Ashley might not know about football – which to be fair, he has admitted to – but he knows when 80+ million has been squandered. They told him they could turn the club around. He stood back and said ‘give me value for money’. By no stretch of anybody’s imagination have they done that! Time for change.

• 77 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Not entirely convinced Ashley gave them free reign. If he did he is still equally complicit in appointing the 4 of them to the board as final say does rest with him. Still, there has to be change, it just hinges on either Rafa staying, or Ashley to actually appoint well qualified and appropriate people to the key roles – something he has failed to do in the best part of a decade. Time will tell.

Anyway, off now, coaching to be done this afternoon before a trip north for a tournament at the weekend.

• 78 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Ibiza, i’ve already e mailed the club with the suggestion, but no reply as yet. We’ve accumulated a lot of bad press this past couple of seasons and i reckon this could get a lot back on our side. It’s also, more importantly, the right thing to do imo. There but for the grace of god go i, as the saying goes. Anyone who was near the front especially, at WHL that season, knows exactly what my point was. Seriously, it still breaks my heart to think of the terror those poor fans went to, even more so the ones who thought they’d escaped, only to be plunged back into it. Gives me the heeby jeebies.

• 79 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Lil, best of luck for your teams in said tournament. Let us know how it went.

• 80 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Happy to drop it not least as I am going out.

The campaign(s) has cropped up in Chronic and here I think today ?

If there is any point scoring it is purely against anonymous organisations who with the best of intentions publicise themselves , cause grief to a puppet and let the main man ( as defined by them) off the hook.

I purely asked you as you advised us what their current position was and commented on it at 6.

Anyway not holding you to account for them – unless you are one of the un-named of course 🙂

• 81 Tsunki // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Oh Ed. You know I back you up when some criticise your articles but… let’s all move in from Pardew with…a Pardew article? Really?

I know you have a soft spot for Alan but really I don’t think you need to quell the mob / clan / crowd / rabble… in this because they honestly didn’t care.

• 82 JamRec // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Anyone seen this injury table! Our points tally is mad!

• 83 Tsunki // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Was it just me or was anyone else disappointed with the much – anticipated return of BandB? A few wry comments and sour observations of random posters and then… “Ladies and Gentlemen, BandB has left the building!”. I think I’ll wait for the reviews before buying buying album

• 84 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Tsunki. Alan who? 😉

• 85 Bobbybee // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Right, i’ve e mailed talksport with the hope of them pulling something out the bag, but won’t hold my breath as, to be honest, from previous experience, i’m not convinced they read e mails coz they make no money out of them. I think the best option for us is for as many fans as possible to e mail the club with the YNWA suggestion and see if they do.

• 86 Ibizatoon // Apr 28, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Magscar…I didn’t misread your attempt to point score then?

The chronicle I believe ran a Pardew Out interview, as Pardew is coming back to SJP this weekend.

Nowt really to do with Ashley Out.

Jib I believe then mentioned the timing of the article, and I merely posted a section that said that they were all behind Rafa and the team for the final 3 games, as all fans are.

I see no need to then try and go in to the merits of their previous campaign or what they’re doing now. That I believe, is on you. I do note however, that I didn’t include quotation marks for the header on that post, but it was all a cut and paste, rather than my personal update on things, as the previously provided link will demonstrate.

You should know by now, I don’t mind throwing my name up for something I believe in. I hardly run an anonymous profile on here, nor elsewhere.

• 87 goommy // Apr 28, 2016 at 2:18 PM

I don’t give a xxxx with this clown. All we need is three points!! (VQ *”*)===Q

previous post: Rafa Benitez In The Process Of Doing This At Newcastle