Time To Get Over Alan Pardew And Bury The Hatchet

Alan Pardew should be remembered at Newcastle for getting us into 5th place in 2012 and only just missing out on a Champions League place.

That year he became the only Newcastle manager ever to win the Premier League Manager of the Year award and the PFA Manager of the Year Award.

But after 2012, Alan´s star on Tyneside dropped, but it also seems he was not successful in getting players in  he wanted and Graham Carr ruled the roost on transfers.

Alan Pardew home to QPR

Alan Pardew – while at Newcastle

That´s becoming even more apparent since Pardew left us about 16 months ago and that has also coincided with Newcastle´s fortunes in the Premier League having dropped precipitously.

Since Alan left us we have played 54 games in the Premier League and won only 10 and lost 31, but that´s more a function of Lee Charnley´s terrible choices for the  head coach position.

Lee Charnley appointed the woeful John Carver and then the just sacked Steve McClaren last summer, because they were easy choices for him – but terrible choices  for Newcastle United.

There is obviously still some ill will towards Pardew from some quarters on Tyneside, but Alan is no longer at the club and he did his best when he was here.

It´s time to move on and hopefully when the former Newcastle manager brings his team to St. James’ Park on Saturday afternoon we can get all 3 points.

That  should be all that matters on Saturday, since Palace have not had a happy time of things this year in the Premier League, even though they have done great in the FA Cup and will face Manchester United in the final next month.

Time to move on from Alan Pardew, especially since we now have the best  manager we have had at the club since Sir Bobby Robson was here and had us in the top four of the Premier League over 12 years ago.

There are more important things to think (and worry) about at Newcastle these days than Alan Pardew.

Let´s  move on and bury the hatchet.

• posada

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:30 AM

It’s time to bury the hatchet.
    I know where I’d like to bury it, but won’t go there.
    I will love it if we beat them, love it.
    I will love it !
    Hope Pardew has that look on his face after the game.
    You know the one where he looks like he is having a bad reaction to eating shell fish.

• Jib

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:35 AM

They are obviously a bit simple at the Ronnie Gill.

Why dredge all this up the Thursday before one of the most important games for years.

No matter what opinion is/was held about AP raking over smoulering coals is not helpful.

• reilly

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM

the headline makes it sound like we are all jilted lovers. 😆
    i never had to get over percy because i was never into him.

• VanToonMan

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Just wish Stoke had Shaqiri and Butland fit.

Fingers crossed Stoke at least draw (ideally win) and we smash Palace. Pleaseeeeeeeee can this happen?! [Arsenal Norwich should take care of itself]

As for Pardew – it’s a tough one – on the one hand he did like our club and may not want to be the reason we go down – on the other hand he might want to prove a point – but there is only so much he can do from the sidelines – in contrast – most of the players played under Pardew previously and hopefully they will want to prove a point on the pitch too

• Jib

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:47 AM

smouldering even

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Jib…That’s what reporters do. We face Pardew this weekend, of course his time at NUFC will get attention.

I think the article read well and didn’t go overboard with criticism of NUFC. The biggest one was that they took too long to take action this season in replacing managers. Hard to argue the point.

Where is the Ashley Out campaign currently at?

“Our feelings about Mike Ashley certainly haven’t changed – Newcastle United needs ridding of his poisonous influence for the good of its long term future, but for now we are in the same place as every other supporter, right behind Rafa and the players for the final three games.”

Can’t argue with that, either.

• Jib

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Mike Dean reffing is a worry
    He makes some strange decisions

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:54 AM

I don’t think too many had faith in Pardews planning for us, so I’m not sure why we’d be overly worried about his planning against us.

Of course anything can happen. If we can play like we have the past few games, then really, we should be more than fine.

“Since Christmas, only one club in English professional football (Aston Villa) have a worse record than Crystal Palace, who have won 1 of their last 18 league games. Justified? 100%.”

This however is NUFC and lord knows we don’t like doing things the easy way, but surely we can already consider this season doing it the hard way?

• Jib

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Comparison
    Saturdays ref Mike Dean and the ref we should have had for our last game Martin Atkinson
    They have both done a bout 30 PL matches
    They have both dished out about 100 yellow cards
    However red cards
    Martin Atkinson 1 Mike Dean 9 (the most )
    No stats for pens but Dean seems to be constantly embroiled in contentious penalty decisions .

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Jib…That doesn’t bode well with the role Tiote had been playing well lately. He’ll have to be on his best behaviour, whilst still putting them off their game.

I don’t watch Palace games. What’s their disciplinary record like?

• Jib

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Your’e right of course Ibiza
    Mark Douglas is just doing what he gets paid for.
    My reaction is probably affected by my extreme squeakybumness 😀

• Mister Tuff

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Mike Dean is a crap referee – another one who knows the rules but does not know the game.
    He probably does his best – like most of the others but in this day and age – electronic assistance is overdue.

Some piercing comments earlier on this morning -no need for any talons to be sharpened – talons sharper than anything I’ve seen for a while – laser cut talons.

• Ron Knee

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Ibiza

But we did revert to type in the first half of the Liverpool match.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Jib…”ESB syndrome”? I know it well. Hasn’t been helped by my falling off my seat at reading “Your’e right of course Ibiza”.

Ron Knee…Yes, but we reacted, rather than folded and continue with that same cr@p. Certainly reason for some optimism, imo.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Read the King Percy compilation of interviews last night.
    He makes it quite clear that he knew the transfer policy BEFORE he joined. He then revealed that players were bought for club/business/money reasons and DEFINITELY not a policy which got players to supplement the team.
    Whilst he may have wanted more in terms of the missing jigsaw pieces, as all managers do, he signed up knowing what was in store beforehand.
    He was therefore clearly an agent of Mr Tubbs policies.

Can we be sure anything has changed -really – I really do not see any evidence.
    Fans are still treated with disdain -us and them attitude still prevails – to the detriment of all.
    King Percy = trusted lieutenant of Mr Tubbs.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Tuff…Which compilation of interviews?

Do you have a link?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:22 AM

We should have all moved on from caring what Pardew did, does, or will do long ago unless it directly impacts on NUFC in the present. I understand Ed and journo’s doing it as it always gets a bite.

The only thing that matters is that we come away with three points. That would be the same regardless of who their manager is. It will be the same against Villa, and against Spurs. I hope any anti Pardew feeling is put to one side as the fans get behind the team, at least until we have the 3 points in the bag.

We have 3 games to do everything we can to give ourselves the best chance of survival. Even winning all 3 doesn’t guarantee safety, although I’d be surprised if both Norwich and Sunderland pick up the required points for it not to.

• catchy in norway

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Oh wow, i know where id like to bury the hatchet, the guy may have got us to fifth, but none of it was planed. we got there because 2 teams ( LPool and Chelsea ) had very poor seasons, and we had 2 strikers that scored wonder goal after wonder goal, things you can not teach or plan for.

the fact that 3rd place was up for grabs, but P45 was to affraid to drop Ba from the LW where he contributed 0 nothing nada and went in the huff,
    P45 did not manage the team, he kept his favourite playes happy, inspite of what was best for the team.

Rafa, thinks of the team and what is best for the club, he is not afraid of dropping anyone. thats what being a manager is, thats what he gets paid for.

we seen some of the worst football in a long time from him, and went on some terrible runs without winning under him, his record and his excuses will and should never be forgotten

• magscar

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Mister Tuff

If I hadn’t been unnecessarily mentioned along with Martoon I would have left her brash re-entrance unheralded and not saw any need to comment accurate though they were.

You were bearable without your need to act as wingman

• magscar

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Lilo

Wounds are too deep for some to move on. Hopefully the right result and getting his first return here over with will lance the boil.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Magscar – wingman ?????????.I fly solo.

Ibiza – hang fire I’ll get the link – from the Chronic.
    Good compilation -allows a better understanding of the situation when it is all in one piece.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Ibiza- link :-

It has all been reported before – compilation of interviews from all sources since his departure – but having it all together is much better to read.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Tuff…Thanks.

Just seen this from the “mini-el classico”

What a free kick. Sign the lad up and get him in the first team asap.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM

magscar,
    Hopefully. We have enough divisive topics on this blog without arguing about a manager who has long gone….

3 points and defeats for both the mackems and Norwich will be a good Saturday.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Tuff…Just reading it now, thank you.

This comment has me scratching my head. It’s not important, but I can’t seem to make sense of it.

Just weeks after he departed Tyneside in January 2015, Pardew also described Newcastle as a “strange club” because of on-field results.

He said: “Newcastle’s a strange club in that it’s dominant in 60 per cent of games and not dominant in 40 per cent.

“You’ve got to get the balance right. At Palace, we won’t be dominant in 80 per cent of games.”

Is that to imply that it’s better to only be dominant in 80% of games?

• magscar

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Mister Tuff

I accepted your word a day or so ago as I like to do with all where it is plausible – but not wingman – Nah he protests too much – sorry but there is only one Squadron Leader and you aren’t her 🙂

• magscar

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Lilo

There is also the need to be proven right all along so I don’t expect that it will go away after Sat. Cuts both ways of course – did facilitating his departure really solve the problem or pave the way for it to be sorted?

• Mister Tuff

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Ibiza – I did not get the 80% bit either – bit confusing.

• magscar

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Ibiza@6

yes can’t argue with that but what I have missed was what the campaign was doing pre Benitez?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:14 AM

magscar,
    It certainly goes both ways, there are those that are determined to defend him, and those that are keen to jump on any slip up he has.

I’ll wait and see if it gets sorted before I comment on that last bit though! Last summer a lot of people were saying that the signings were McClaren’s. I was never convinced, and I’ll wait and see as we move forward.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Ibiza/Tuff,
    I think what he means is that a team who dominates 60% and not the other 40% shows a lot of inconsistency, whereas a team who dominates or is dominated for 80%+ is consistent.

Of course there is another answer that the club is around mid table and is better than 60% but not the other 40% which seems equally plausible as inconsistency.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Magscar…It helped identify “the problem” imo. Which was a big step. Did it pave the way for it to be sorted? Well, it didn’t seem that he was going anywhere if it was left to him, or the board.

I guess the counter argument is whether we’d be where we are now with Pardew? For me, it never has been the point. We could do better than Pardew, right now we have better than him.

Shame it took 18 months (ish) since he left for them to actually upgrade the position.

Tuff…Not just me then. As per the comments section on that thread. It’s all well and good him saying these things now, but if he pushed these points more whilst he was still manager, I don’t think he’d have received quite the same backlash from fans

Still, he’s gone and is now completely irrelevant to us, other than when discussing whether structure has changed within the club, by means of comparison from then to now.

For me, that’s a job for after the task at hand is complete. The fight for safety.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Magscar…As far as I am aware, not a hell of a lot.

It should demonstrate that those who get grouped together are in fact free thinking individuals, that don’t all sing from the same hymn sheet on everything, and that also, the best interest of the club is at the forefront of their thoughts.

People were happy to see how the re-structure went. Just like they know now is the time to support the team to the end to try and avoid relegation.

Do you think they should have been doing more this season?

Lil…That makes some sense, thank you. Still, not sure championing being consistently (80% of the time) outclasssed is a good thing.

He also says he thinks the team was doing well, based on what he had available and that we at times punched above our weight. Seems like he wants the best of both worlds. As we both keep saying though, hardly important anymore.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Magscar – you will be aware that I was also mentioned/stung and just found your reply very amusing and not in any detrimental way at all.

I was minded to think of of being stung by a bee last year in France whilst driving to a festival. I felt something on my leg and brushed whatever it was away – needless to say -it was a bee and it stung my thumb. I have never known such intense and immediate pain – lasted about a minute and that was it.
    You will be aware that a bee dies after stinging – it can only sting once in contrast to a wasp which can sting multiple times and not die.
    My thoughts whether it interests you or not.

• magscar

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Lilo

I think the way transfers work(ed) here they were too far down the line when McClaren came in for him to have had nothing more than a veto at best. I seem to recall he voiced his approval of Gini – a player he would have known well and I suspect that he would have been aware of Mitro and Mbemba.

January is different and there was clearly a different approach at play whether Shelvey and Townsend were his direct calls isn’t public but the signs do seem to point that way.

Personally I thought Shelvey would have been the better of the 2 ( still might of course) but I have been pleasantly surprised with Townsend’s sustained impact and overall approach. We had all seen flashes of his talent but like a lot of us I was doubtful he could be consistent.

For the future things have to change surely – for me I cling to the hope Benitez stays whatever – not infallible but a giant leap in the right direction.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Ibiza,
    I’m not sure he meant it as a good thing like that, more that you know where you stand if your team are consistently being outclassed and can set up/prepare for that likely outcome. When you are inconsistent then it is harder to know which way to set the team up for certain games and allows greater margin for tactical error.

I could well be wrong, but that is the way I read that statement.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Lil…It’s a plausible answer. I couldn’t come up with one.

It’s just a pity that he doesn’t appear to realise that it’s the managers job to sort out a teams consistency.

• Bobbybee

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Maybe just me, but I couldn’t care less about pardew either way. He gave us some good times, he gave us more bad times, but he’s gone now. What i really want is to beat Palace for the real reason – to go into the next game with still a chance of survival. He wasn’t great for us, but he’s been great for nobody, so that shouldn’t come as a surprise. In fact, is his record this year actually worse than ours? (Cup final aside obviously, i mean in the PL). Unless he wins the cup he’s just another loser with a team in the bottom five or whatever. No, don’t hate the guy, but have no love for him either. Three points is all i care about.

• Mister Tuff

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Ibiza – problem for me is that we do not know exactly what went one behind the scenes.
    did Pardew ask for players – specific – and was he knocked back.
    Did Carr suggest any would be superstars which were knocked backed.
    If Percy did not need certain players (which he infers) why did he play them – especially relevant when he had said previously there was no interferance from the high ups about team selection.
    I suspect we will never find out the “order of play” anybody leaving the club in the summer -Carr ?? will be gagged.