The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Worried Pardew Gives His Opinion On Benitez’ Newcastle Side

5:18 pm, Thursday, April 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

During his press conference today Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew thinks that Newcastle have improved under Rafa Benitez – although we haven’t yet got the points to show for that – with three draws and one win in the first seven games Benitez has managed.

But five of those points have come in the last three games against Swansea, Manchester City and Liverpool so a win and two draws in those games was an excellent return.

benitez pardew -newcastle_3430454

Alan Pardew and Rafa Benitez

And the team played very well apart from the first half at Liverpool that saw us 2-0 down after 30 minutes before storming back in the second half to get a well deserved 2-2 draw.

Alan Pardew believes Newcastle are now a much stronger team under Benitez:

“What I will say is they have improved,” . “They are a much stronger team. Rafa is an experienced manager who has managed at the very top of the game.”

“He has got his team in a much better place to win the game – that worries me. My job now is as Crystal Palace manager, and I have to win the game.”

It’s just a pity that McClaren wasn’t fired after the 5-1 Chelsea debacle, when Rafa could have had 18 days uninterrupted training with the full Newcastle squad.

Newcastle wouldn’t be in relegation trouble now if the former Liverpool manager had been brought in earlier, but it was yet another mistake by those running Newcastle from the top.

We must win this game on Saturday and this will set us up to possibly avoid relegation by then wining the final two games at Aston Villa and at home to Tottenham on the final day of the season.

It’s still possible.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Prayer · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

17 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Who IS this Albert Pardrew guy Ed keeps on doing articles about? Face rings a bell…

• 2 Lee Dodd // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:33 PM

It is Simple we have to win against Crystal Palace and Aston Villa and Hope we can Turn the Spurs Over In The Same Fashion as we did against Man City BUT I think it is a Month to Late we hung onto McClaren to long !!!! If Rafa Feels The Fans Love Him He will Stay for 1 Season If we do badly he will walk I think what ever he will be with us Next August as after the last home game even the man city fans were going to chant his song !!!!!!

• 3 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Hey pokat 🙂

• 4 voodoo85 // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:35 PM

For me, this is our most important match remaining, a win here gives us 3 points (obviously) but also great momentum for the match vs Villa – we should beat them – if we dont then we deserve to go down really.

A win against Palace and Villa and i think that will be enough to be honest to see us stay up. But we may get something against Spurs as Alli is suspended and some may be on their holidays or rested for Euro’s (i am assuming Leicester will have title won by then)

• 5 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:36 PM

We definately have the fight to beat these three teams however we still lack quality, something Rafa can’t exactly change. However he can get them motivated which is why we have a much improved team. Maybe his presence was the confidence they need that someone with his stature is willing to come to our club.

• 6 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:37 PM

Basically my point is don’t be surprised if we lose all 3.

• 7 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Anyway how are we all? Hopefully you’re all well and good. Well… Almost all of you.

• 8 BandB // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:45 PM

If there is a result in Tsunki’s bafflement and Mister Tuff’s umbrage it is that the assiduously insidious insinuation that there’s is a corps of nodding dogs praying for relegation is today suffering some storm damage.
    You’ll have to fish that particular party tent out of next door’s garden lads.
    There is no silver cloud to relegation, and the only people I’ve seen detecting them are the kinds of true fans who would see it as the perfect platform for their own self-glorifying brand of fandom.
    If there is a mind-meld it is among those who have been making these insinuations, as Tuff said, taking advantage of a a desperate situation to settle old scores.
    Martoon. Last week I asked Ibiza to post an email explaining my reasons for choosing to post elsewhere for now.
    You chose to insinuate that instead I had deserted the blog, and by implication the club, because I am the sort of fair-weather fan who can’t stomach a relegation. Creepy is the word.
    Magscar should be chuffed by my return. I expect we’ll be seeing a lot more of him as a result.
    And I’m being referred to as “It” by that loveable scamp Rob Vollans, who’s true neckbeard personality is finally emerging.
    We should be pulling together. I’ve seen no-one calling for boycotts and very few talking about sheep, apart from bettyswallocks talking to WelshGeordie.
    Betty himself was straight in there with the notion that he’d expected me back to crow about relegation.
    It’s the tactics of the big lie.
    I never said I was quitting. I said I was off, a phrase Magscar himself used just a couple of days ago.
    I was not fed up. But I knew the kind of mess the blog would descend to in a Fall of Berlin scenario, as the reprisals started.
    Christmas 1914 Magscar? Bobby Bee’s passive aggressive marrying of Ibizatoon yesterday was hardly fags and footy. It was “no hard feelings sonny, as long as you know who’s the boss.”
    I always thought we’d finish 15th/16th. The signing were sufficient to embellish a strong squad, but never the backbone of a team that needed rebuilding from scratch.
    Until six weeks ago we were more or less permanently at the bottom of the form table.
    I back Rafa and the team whole-heartedly.
    I am less pessimistic than most. I don’t think we need three wins to escape. A win and two draws might JUST be enough.
    I want to enjoy that hope without all the slavver.

• 9 Tsunki // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Ah Rob. Was that the result of tireless sleuthing that brought you back, Head held high, to the blog to proclaim me as some hidden multiple? Sorry to disappoint but you’ve been lapped a few times mate.

• 10 Tsunki // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:52 PM

BandB – that’s more like it.

• 11 BandB // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:54 PM

It’s that trick experimental album Tsunki.
    Please bear with me.

• 12 Tsunki // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Photo caption

“So you didn’t find a bottle of ‘Grey-Away’ in the desk drawer when you arrived did you, Rafa?”

“No mate it was Regaine”

• 13 Tsunki // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Yep your comeback in an empty car park at midnight didn’t quite come off 🙂

• 14 banjax // Apr 28, 2016 at 5:58 PM

A bit of luck Deli Ali being banned, just need one or two more Spurs players out for our last game and a Leicester Premier Title to complete the set. As far as Pards is concerned lets just leave it and hope C Palace are more focused on their FA cup final than three points against us.

• 15 Tsunki // Apr 28, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Allis chucked a right spanner in my fpl team the dirty rat. Only one transfer this week. Not fair. I was leading my league all season until a month ago

• 16 BandB // Apr 28, 2016 at 6:01 PM

It did by my terms Tsunki.
    Can I be out of the blog memorial garden for those slaughtered in battle now 🙂

• 17 magscar // Apr 28, 2016 at 6:14 PM

BandB

You can take no credit for my being on here as I have been posting quite frequently of late and in fact in last few days have been laid up a bit hence my long spells at times. That situation has improved thankfully and will impact on my time on here as I can get back out :-).

Au contraire your presence might have the opposite effect as you are quite divisive and can be unpleasant. I have long since lost the guilty pleasure of interpreting your cryptic quips as it has become a chore I can easily do without and the effort is invariably not rewarded.

Your essays on the Mag ( which I had stumbled on through Newsnow and Jib had mentioned) were a bit more linear but with that baying audience you have to aim lower of course.

You did as I recall post a farewell on here early March (?) which was less than cryptic and read more of ” a lost patience with the imbeciles I have to deal with” sort of thing. You no doubt remember it I could dig it up but haven’t the time or inclination at present ( jib may oblige at some stage).

I am disappointed you didn’t stick by last weeks message through Ibiza. Apart from big bust up the other night ( AH did it make you miss us?) things have been fairly civil and probably all too pally for your liking. Scolding Mr Tuff well how very even handed of you and he was tough enough to take it like the man he is ( or woman if he was she – for equality – you know what I mean).

Will dip in and out as is my wont on here and may even catch you at times but don’t hold your breath – I know you won’t. Bobby has left for the day, Ian Toon has disappeared but there will be someone else along in a minute I am sure you can start a ruck with.

Bye for now