The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Injury Update – Initial Comments From Benitez Press Conference

12:58 pm, Friday, April 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

Rafa Benitez has given his press conference at 12:45 pm today for the vital game at home to Crystal Palace tomorrow, the result of which could decide if Newcastle have any chance of avoiding relegation this season.

Rafa said as expected that both Coloccini and Janmaat are not available for the game tomorrow but that Kevin Mbabu and Steven Taylor are available – and we expect Mbabu to again be on the bench tomorrow.

rafa benitez press conference

Rafa Benitez – gave his press conference at 12:45 pm today

And Rafa has indicated that Dutch right-back Daryl Janmaat could be back in contention to face Aston Villa next Saturday, but whether he will be able to dislodge Vurnon Anita remains to be seen.

Here are some of Rafa’s initial comments coming through from the local journalists present at the press conference:

“It’s more important to concentrate on our own team.” “Everybody knows what it’s like to be a final. You have to be careful.”

“With Colo I don’t think we have enough time. It will be difficult”

“Janmaat is close. I think we will see next week. He will have more confidence then.”

“Crystal Palace are more or less safe. They are doing well. ” They’re well organised. They’re a good team.”

“It’s not easy in their situation but for me they are safe.”

Most fans think we can win this game tomorrow.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Crystal Palace?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Injuries · Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 reilly // Apr 29, 2016 at 1:05 PM

• 2 barkel // Apr 29, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Just a quick note on our former hero. It’s the last i’ll say on him tho

Anyone see what Lee had to say about our mate Percy? Seems to be the same attitude he had here …

“Pardew runs the team with very short-term vision. We have a great squad but he plays the same players again and again until someone gets injured. Then his replacement cannot play well because he is playing for the first time in two months. I think that’s why we have not done well in the latter half of season.”

• 3 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 29, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Please do not let Taylor be available or even on the bench.

• 4 JP...from The Rock // Apr 29, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Potential banana skin this one, let’s hope it’s not Pardew that finally seals our fate.

• 5 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Apr 29, 2016 at 1:26 PM

I will be gutted if Taylor is anywhere the near the team tomorrow !!

• 6 Ibizatoon // Apr 29, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Barkel…Just reading that.

This one gave me a chuckle too.

“He told me to warm up, then we used all three substitutes, so I sat on the bench again. Five minutes later, he told me to warm up again so I told him there were no substitutes left. He just said: ‘Oh, sorry’.”

This follows Pardews comments the other week that it confuses players to have too many game plans. There’s the answer for his no plan b.

• 7 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 29, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Good to see that that the club is showing respect for the Hillsborough victims.

At the risk of my head shot off, I do feel some sympathy for the ordinary coppers at the game. This was a situation that a lot of them would never have faced and without the right guidance from the incompetents at the top they were clueless as how to respond to what was happening.
    Tragically it turned out they made a lot of bad decisions and most of them I am sure will feel shame and regret.

• 8 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 29, 2016 at 1:33 PM

I haven’t seen many team suggestions on the blog as I’ve had a short holiday. But keeping the same starting eleven apart from Mitro for Cisse seem like the right choice for us.

• 9 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 29, 2016 at 1:36 PM

JP can you imagine the mood on Tyneside (or anywhere else where Geordy’s reside) if that were to happen.

There might have to be a watch kept on the Tyne bridge.

• 10 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 29, 2016 at 1:37 PM

I’ll have a break now!!

• 11 Jib // Apr 29, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Big surprise at centre half for Palace tomorrow !

• 12 Jib // Apr 29, 2016 at 1:51 PM

At the moment the Everton board are discussing Martinez’ future .
    I hope they give him until the end of the season to show what he can do !

• 13 WWSBRD // Apr 29, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Palace are safe and all their players will be avoiding injury for their big day so won’t be putting up much of a fight

Personally I hope Pardew gets a muted reception, he did alright with us everything considered and the focus should be on pushing our team on but am not that fused either way

I imagine the back four remains the same, in fact only change I expect is Gini in for Perez

• 14 Jib // Apr 29, 2016 at 2:13 PM

WWSBRD

30 amp ?

• 15 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 29, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Jib

He’ll probably get sent off for headbutting somebody!! 🙂

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Apr 29, 2016 at 2:19 PM

WW…,
    I really can’t agree with that, he was very much a part of the everything considered.

• 17 WWSBRD // Apr 29, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Jib
    I wouldn’t electrocute Perez just drop him

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Apr 29, 2016 at 2:20 PM

I don’t think he’ll get any type of reception at all and by the time we’re 5-0 up no one will care about him anyway.

• 19 WWSBRD // Apr 29, 2016 at 2:22 PM

JfA
    Hmm a lot was out of his control but he was guilty of accepting it all with no fight. There were moments of great times though and I will probably remember them in 10 years rather than the poorer times

Glad he’s gone don’t get me wrong but I’d happily see everyone just move on and treat him like any other manager coming to St Janes

• 20 WWSBRD // Apr 29, 2016 at 2:23 PM

St Janes? Odd place that St James now there’s a venue

• 21 Ron Knee // Apr 29, 2016 at 2:25 PM

St Trinians?

• 22 Essex Geordie Bill // Apr 29, 2016 at 2:25 PM

I expect at this moment in time we would be very happy if we were in Evertons position., with Martinez in charge.

Not that I want him here if Rafa was to leave.

• 23 manxpie // Apr 29, 2016 at 2:31 PM

I’d rather JFK back here than martinez hate the guy even after the mctwaterman carry on I still couldn’t believe my ears him defending the challenge on origi plus with that Everton squad he should be at least fighting for top 6

• 24 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Apr 29, 2016 at 2:44 PM