The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Have Future England Defender In Their Ranks

10:49 am, Sunday, May 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 131 Comments

Newcastle had to defend for their lives in that first half yesterday and we saw three excellent saves during that period from goalkeeper Karl Darlow.

We also saw the tackle of the game from young Jamaal Lascelles after just 11 minutes when Connor Whickham was straight through on goal.

Lascelles quickly tackled the former Sunderland striker with a sliding right-footed challenge that was perfectly timed to clear the ball and the danger – it was simply a wonderful tackle from the 22 year-old.

Jamaal+Lascelles Connor Whikham +Newcastle+United+v+Crystal+NVGr670Y6c-l

Fantastic sliding tackle from Jamaal Lascelles yesterday

On Match of the Day last night former Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy talked about Jamaal and he´s been impressed with the young Newcastle center-back who has started six game since Rafa Benitez arrived at the club:

“I hadn’t seen too much of him and I think in the last few weeks he has really come to the fore.”

“Jamaal Lascelles is athletic, he is outspoken as well – which you don’t mind because it shows that he cares, good positional play.”

“There is a lot more to his game than that. He made the best tackle of the match , spots the danger and his speed gets him back and the timing – he goes to ground and if you don’t get the ball you are in trouble.”

“His distribution – I always like to see a defender who is willing to play it out.”

“He showed leadership qualities as well: pointing at people, shouting at them and organizing.”

“Second half Newcastle didn’t have as much defending to do, but he showed glimpses of his strength, his pace and his calmness.”

“The big question for me is  ’Why the hell wasn’t he playing earlier?’ – because he does looks a really terrific player.”

He wasn´t playing earlier because Steve McClaren would have kept Coloccini – his captain – and Mbemba as first choices throughout the season – assuming they were available.

And we notice that Rafa isn´t too keen to rush Colo back into the team with Lascelles and Mbemba looking so good – and they are both in their very early twenties.

Jamaal when younger was tipped to become a future top England International and from what we´ve seen of him lately he´s exactly that.

And our two buys from Nottingham Forest, Jamaal and Karl Darlow have performed extremely well for us since Rafa joined the club.

They look like two top acquisitions for Newcastle and credit goes to both Englishmen, who seem to have tip-top temperaments for these big games.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Crystal Palace?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Jamaal Lascelles · Karl Darlow · Management · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press · Pundit

131 responses so far ↓

• 1 Slank // May 1, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Why would you want to move on our only two left footed left backs (Dummitt and Haidara) in addition to our three defensive midfielders (Colback, Tiote and Saivet) and our first and second choice keepers but keep Colo and Saylor ?

• 2 Jib // May 1, 2016 at 10:52 AM

No Metro’s from Palma de Mallorca 😀

• 3 Slank // May 1, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Lascelles has looked good from the start and got better with every game. Yesterday he had an outstanding game and certainly a contender for the under 25 national side.

He looks like the ideal replacement for Colo not only in that defensive position but also as captain.

• 4 jimmysmith // May 1, 2016 at 10:57 AM

I think half the squad is under threat, and half of that lot likely to go. It depends on the money offered and who we can get to replace them.

• 5 Lindisfarne // May 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Three times in 9 days is pushing it 😉

• 6 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Has there been an article or a discussion on Obertan and Marveaux being released yesterday?

It’s been a blog chestnut for years, but I haven’t seen much reaction.

• 7 Jib // May 1, 2016 at 11:02 AM

I think you will find that when we stay up and Rafa rebuilds the side the discussions we are having now about who stays and who goes will look silly.

He doesn’t muck about and has a huge database of players and their profiles.

• 8 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Contracts paid up, I understand.

• 9 wolfshead@toon // May 1, 2016 at 11:03 AM

i see pardew had a pop at the fat controller yesterday i was thinking its a bit late in the day for that alan old son

• 10 toon kk // May 1, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Great unexpected win yesterday, Darlow, Townsend and Las cells were excellent.
    Nice to see some effort from our players.
    My biggest concern is our striker’s, they rarely score.

• 11 Slank // May 1, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Very much agree with you.

All talk about what may or may not happen after the last game of the season is very premature.

• 12 Bambams // May 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Sorry fella I only just caught up. …

I am happy to be proven wrong re Charnley and it’s all about opinions. Hopefully Rafa will influence him.
    I base my statement on a few things, when SMC was left in limbo when we were trying to sign Rafa it was nothing more than a Sunday Pub team chairman the way he was handled.
    I genuinely believe KK was correct in his assessment of Charnley and the ‘fill the back of a stamp’….
    I was made aware when Rafa first took over and he looked at the fixtures he approached Charnley about the postponed Citeh match. Charnley didn’t realise ‘he’ had to contact all parties to rearrange the fixture.

I have met him twice in relation to my job, he was pleasant and assisted us. However I think he is way over his head for his position at a huge premier league club.

Yes we had rubbish earlier in as you have stated JFK and Lambias. …You would of thought Ash would have learned by now.

As I say I will eat humble pie if he improves with the help of Rafa.

Time will tell, cheers for the craic fella

• 13 lesh // May 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM

You’re right about Penfold. He has transformed the Club – from potential relegation candidate last season to a train crash this.

He didn’t appoint Rafa and he didn’t have the training or experience to see through Carr – don’t forget it’ll have been Charnley who’s have signed off Carr’s recommendations for Ashley’s approval to spend.

We cannot afford another season under his control.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM

I don’t think anyone cares about them, I think Obretoon might come in handy in the Championship though.
    See his lying twitching body language as he did though. Complicit weasel!

• 15 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Did he know what day of the week it was?

• 16 jimmysmith // May 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Should we stay up Benitez will attract quality the like rarely if ever seen on Tyneside, and with the money on offer in the EPL, there will be a large pool to draw from. Should we stay up, we are in for a thrilling window, by our standards.

• 17 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 11:12 AM

We are in a desperate situation yet we are now the most positive we have been since we finished fifth, at long last the club have given us a positive vibe, I hope we survive and Rafa stays and we do move forwards, well done to Lee Charnley, at least he has restored some hope for us which is more than what we have ever had since KK walked out.

• 18 WWSBRD // May 1, 2016 at 11:12 AM

The reaction to them leaving is fitting really it’s a meh response much like their Newcastle careers

Marv successfully milked the club for as much as he could (well within his rights) and Obertan was average but got injured far too often. Good luck to them but I doubt anyone is that fussed

• 19 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 11:14 AM

I’m surprised at the lack of comment.
    The deadwood debate has been a runner, and a few seemed to harbour suspicions Obertan might get a one-year extension.
    I am encouraged, and if they were also told to their faces it would be another hint that some fresh air is finally blowing through SJP.

• 20 WWSBRD // May 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM

I think ur giving the tea boy in charge way too much credit

• 21 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Sorry Yo,

I was typing and missed your response otherwise I’d have stuck you on too.

• 22 toon kk // May 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Jimmy Smith
    Remember MA still owns the club there won’t be a bottomless pit of money to be spent, it will take several years for Rafa to build the right team. If we stay up.

• 23 Bambams // May 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM

I can’t even remember what day it was !

• 24 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 11:16 AM

sorry m8, but he was responsible for sacking and replacing SM, that has never been doubted and it was he who brought Rafa to us, hate him as much as you like, but at times credit has got to be given, seriously, I think this is one of those times.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Have you taken leave of your senses?

• 26 Blackley and Brownlie // May 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Your talk on here always looks silly, mate. No better example than yesterday when you were slagging off Mike Dean and cited three decisions as evidence, all of which were correct decisions in anyone’s book.

• 27 jimmysmith // May 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Ashley has already committed to further spending, in addition to what we might recoup on sales. I expect Rafa will bring in 5, and they’ll be good.

• 28 WWSBRD // May 1, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Haha no bother

Fair point on how they were let go aswell, I’ve not heard anything to say it was as unprofessionally as Ryan and Jonas which ud imagine would of been made public. Maybe times are a changing

• 29 Bambams // May 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM

I wonder how much (if we stay up) Rafa will get ?

Could you imagine if/when we survive and the window opens for Ashley to come out with “The bank account is almost empty” or worse “Rafa has far too high intentions for me to risk the financial stability of this club, we place on record our thanks for his services”

I prey lessons have been learned, but this is Newcastle Utd led by Ashley/Charnley

• 30 WWSBRD // May 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM

There’s very little evidence to say Charnley brought in Rafa, from what I gathered Rafa approached us and Ashley hired him

• 31 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Marveaux should have been wearing a mask and a stripey jumper for the last five years. I wonder who’s brainchild the five year contract for players was?

• 32 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM

I took it as a potentially positive sign. Which is why I’m surprised it warranted the indifference. Their contracts were nearly up, but it looks clean, decisive, and welcome.

• 33 jimmysmith // May 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Ashley can’t hold onto Rafa, without stumping up. We’ve had a woeful season.

• 34 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Does he not automatically stay if we stay up.

• 35 WWSBRD // May 1, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Fingers crossed. Rafa comes across as a very professional man, hopefully it was with his input that the decision to give them early release was made

• 36 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Possibly I am, but one hell of a debate could be had from it as we do now spend money and have a big time manager who seems to be revelling in his time here, think back to before Charnley took over, what a shambles we were, no hope no nothing, it aint like that now, so why not give Chanley some of the credit, since Ashley took over we have never had as much hope/optimism as we do now !

• 37 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:25 AM

The five year contract malarky was so that we got two good years out of them and then sold them on before they got any grand ideas about running their contracts down. Not that they’d do that though as we only sugn impeccable characters whose backgrounds have been thoroughly researched.

• 38 Bambams // May 1, 2016 at 11:26 AM

I am sure he has a three year contract on the table with a walk away clause.

I wonder if it is only Rafa who can exercise the clause or if Toon can also.

I just don’t trust Ash….Can we genuinely believe he will back Rafa or was it just put to him to get him here to keep us up.

Nothing surprises me with Ash

I just hope we do stay up, Rafa stays AND is backed FULLY by the club

• 39 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:27 AM

I jumped the gun by asking if you’d taken leave of your senses. It shouldn’t have been a question but a statement. You’re clearly stark raving mad!

• 40 Ron Knee // May 1, 2016 at 11:28 AM

I hope Ashley doesn’t draw the conclusion that a good manager + mediocre players = low-cost survival.

• 41 magscar // May 1, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Only surprise about Marveaux and Obertran is it has been announced before last game – obviously whatever happens they were never going to play again.

Taylor is other senior player who is also out of contract in June and nothing announced – new contract offer if we go down or going if we stay up?
    Mbabu is also out of contract so again waiting to see what happens?

• 42 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Jail, seriously, think about it, no spend, no hope, virtual dictatorship where the manager had no say, that is what it was when Charnley took over, it aint that now and it is defo for the better, surely the least he deserves is for us to calm down a tadge and be open minded, yes he has made ricks, but he is new to the job but with Rafa and what he could bring he has learnt rather quickly.

• 43 Lindisfarne // May 1, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Sing in the corner

I was alluding to yesterdays victory being similar to sexual activity and the satisfaction attained.

• 44 Bambams // May 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Ron Knee

Well put fella !

I am not the only one that worries about Ashley and how he runs our club

• 45 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM

I don’t either but surely if he was willing to get Rafa in he must realise that anything less will just put us back to square one.

• 46 magscar // May 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Ron Knee

but does a good manager accept mediocre players?

• 47 Jib // May 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Blackley and Brownlie
    I couldn’t be bothered to slap you down yesterday I was too tired.
    I never said anything about the deservedness of our yellows yesterday except that a ref normally in the case of Mbemba which was very early in the game would have given a finger wagging.
    About 45 seconds after he gave M,bemba the card a Palace midfielder left Townsend writhing on the deck and Dean waved play on and I thought “here we go”.
    Two yellows and a penalty against us – not even a caution for them – suggests imbalance to me.

• 48 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Put your spliff away go and have a lie down and come back on when you’re not high!

• 49 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 11:32 AM

will you please stop sounding like my wife ……

• 50 Hail Wor Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Hope the players aren’t getting ahead of themselves like some on here, all the talk of summer spending has returned and which players, some of who are contributing to digging us out, they would bin.

• 51 jimmysmith // May 1, 2016 at 11:34 AM

If we go down Charnley should be stripped to us undershorts, tarred, feathered and run out of town on a rail. The optimism has been born out of desperation, fatalism, denial, weariness and momentary relief, and is still as finely balanced as you might possibly bear. You can hardly say he’s done good job, we hang on to our EPL place by the skin of our teeth.

• 52 WWSBRD // May 1, 2016 at 11:35 AM

So ur happy to ignore the Carver hiring, Jonas sacking, McClaren hiring then long drawn out sacking, 2 relegation fights, poor transfer dealings (1 of which his boss had to step in to complete after weeks of Charnley trying) and cost cutting because Rafa, against all good judgement, offered to take on this sinking ship? Nar am alright not giving the over promoted tea boy credit

• 53 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Churnley has not spoken in public. Only made computer generated statements and stood like a rabbit in the headlights as we hurtled down the table. Had we managed a point against Bournemouth we’d have been on 24 points now and saying Mclaren will be a good manager for the Championship. Good management would have replaced Mclaren after those four defeats in Dec/January if not after the Chelsea debacle.

• 54 Rotonda heights // May 1, 2016 at 11:36 AM

it was quite funny seeing AP try and shift the blame yet again when he was quite happy to lap up his 8 year deal.

how does AP explain his latest spectacular fall from grace, ie to 16th place with the likes of cabaye, zaha, bolasie, puncheon, Dann, whickham etc and his own people in his own backyard.

• 55 magscar // May 1, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Not sure how Charnley racks up on financial negotiations( no real info) but retaining him with even limited say on football side would be a massive mistake/

Also not sure how the structure might look if Benitez stays but Ashley may want the comfort blanket of still having Charnley around for now. Depends I suppose on what changes Benitez wants for an ongoing project. Whatever happens I suspect that Carr’s overall influence will be dramatically curtailed and whether he would accept a reduced role.

• 56 Slank // May 1, 2016 at 11:37 AM

magscar @ 41

Because of their relative ages I believe Saylor has no future at the club whereas Mbabu has.

The club must have been encouraged by the recent performances of the relatively young defensive pairing of Mbemba and Lascelles which I’m sure will work in favour for Mbabu.

• 57 Rotonda heights // May 1, 2016 at 11:37 AM

oh yeah, science was against me and the grass was the wrong type of green.

• 58 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 11:38 AM

That’s very true.
    In the past, the fans starting to feel slightly less nervous has been a good barometer that the players are thinking they can relax too.
    A complacent no-show from them against Villa and we are deeper in the clarts than ever.

• 59 Bambams // May 1, 2016 at 11:39 AM

It’s Ashley ….He has already made it clear ‘they’ have spent all the money.

I like most on here, hope lessons have been learnt but I still have reservations that Ash will change.

Mid table security is all he wants, I can’t see Rafa accepting this.

We need to stay up first.

• 60 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 11:40 AM

seriously, I knew I would get grief, understandably, now due to luck or good skills we are as fans are in a better mood than what we were before Penfold took over, for all we know he may be the quite assassin who has hoodwinked Ashley into believing that more gains could be had with a bit of ambition for the football team, non of us know why Ashley changed his spending policy or why he did not prevent Rafa from taking over, but it did happen and like him or loath him Penfold is the prime suspect !

• 61 wolfshead@toon // May 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM

very true it also suggested he is scared of him prob ran full pelt for the coach after the interview

• 62 Hail Wor Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Mbemba needs to learn not to freeze when 1 vs 1 and there’s space behind him. Think every yellow he’s had come from this weakness.

• 63 Rotonda heights // May 1, 2016 at 11:42 AM

i have a really sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that defoe’s desperate diving in the 94th minute may be absolutely crucial. ruined what otherwise was the perfect day. stupid defending but everyone knows defoe dives, why put a hand anywhere near him.

• 64 magscar // May 1, 2016 at 11:43 AM

If the worst happens Taylor may be offered a contract extension ( ala Collo) to cover us in Champiomship – not my choice but circumstances may dictate.

The fact he is out of contract but not mentioned as released means something if only HE just might be needed in next 2 games whereas the others definitely not.

• 65 wolfshead@toon // May 1, 2016 at 11:45 AM

rotonda still in love with mikey

• 66 Ron Knee // May 1, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Good point, but perhaps he’d consider Moyes or Rodgers as suitable replacements. Perhaps one of them could be induced to take the Ashley shilling.

• 67 magscar // May 1, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Only point about “the money” he simply may have been talking about that profit in the accounts to June 2015.

If we stay up I don’t doubt there will be fresh money – how much? who knows but hopefully enough to keep Benitez smiling 🙂

• 68 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Of course I am not happy with the truths that you speak, but is it feasible for someone to go in and demand instant changes or would it be more effective to gain confidence and try to change the structure in time.

as I said, and this is just fictious as we don’t know, but I was assuming that if Rafa stayed on then he would be in total control.

• 69 catchy in norway // May 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM

well done the whole team yesterday

4 top players for me.

Darlow, best performance in the shirt for the club, growing in confidence with every game.

Anita, another good show by the little fella, actually supports the winger and defends, something Jaanmat could learn from him.

Townsend, worked hard throughout , super free kick,

Lascelles, turning into a beast, strong and composed, A LEADER

• 70 Blackley and Brownlie // May 1, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Stop digging, mate. Too tired yesterday!

You were slagging of Mike Dean: fact.
    You cited three decisions to support your case: fact
    All three decisions Dean got right: nobody is seriously arguing otherwise. Just because Mbemba wags his finger and says it’s the first one, and it occurs very early in the game, it does not mean it’s not a cynical foul worthy of a booking.

If you want to make a serious point about how bad your thought Dean was, cite decisions Dean got wrong (not ones he got right) and show that the majority of those decisions favoured Palace. But please don’t slag me for pointing out the crassness of your post that cites all the decisions he got right.

• 71 Bambams // May 1, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Just read on newsnow newcastle that Marv and Obertan have left the club. Contracts paid up.

Suggests Henri Savait is no where near good enough for a place on the bench.

We ain’t done too well with most of our french players (Gouffran Riviere Savait Cabella Thauvin )

Millions wasted

• 72 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Seriously mate? Mclaren was on a three year deal with eight years optional, the very real and still very real threat of relegation brought Rafa in, not a change of policy. Money was spent last season because we hadn’t bought a player for 18 months previously. Big money was spent this season as an investment in profit not the team. Hence only one defender being brought into one of the worst PL defences.

• 73 magscar // May 1, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Ron Knee

But would taking the Ashley shilling not subsequently deny them the tag of “good manager” – if one believes they are currently worthy of the label. The jury on here is out on them so I don’t want to get embroiled in discussion at this precipitous stage of season 🙂

• 74 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 11:53 AM

The signing of Rafa, whatever the motives, has raised the stakes like never before.
    The genie is out of the bottle. Many fans believe the Messiah they believe would never come has arrived, whether they are wrong or right.
    If that hope is crushed for narrow book-balancing reasons and Rafa leaves, there’s going to be some explaining to do to a pretty hostile audience.

• 75 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Can’t understand why you’d pay players to leave especially when Obertan could probably do a job in the Championship as could have Willo?

• 76 WWSBRD // May 1, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Spoof so u want to give him credit because he might eventually do something to prove he deserves it?

Accept it bud he’s another failure and absolutely deserves to be replaced with someone who can actually do the job he is employed to do

• 77 Ron Knee // May 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM

I meant ‘good’ manager as perceived by Ashley. Let’s hope this is no more than hypothetical!

• 78 magscar // May 1, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Obertan’s contract is up in June I dont think there was any pay off for either of them just an early announcement making it clear no new one was on offer.

• 79 hibbitt // May 1, 2016 at 11:59 AM

if Rafa walks or is pushed a lot will walk with him could very well be the biggest exodus of fans ever seen at this club

• 80 magscar // May 1, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Ron Knee

Agreed 🙂

• 81 jimmysmith // May 1, 2016 at 12:00 PM

Yeah, you better desperately hope we stay up, because if we do, Ashley has only one choice. Back Rafa! He can’t shine him on, nor us any longer.

Relegation, the whole charade can start up again.

• 82 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 12:01 PM

you could be right, I said at the seasons start that a true reflection of our ambitions would lie this summer, I said that half expecting us to be at least half decent and not where we are, to convince me we needed a good season to be built on, obviuously that ain’t happening, but wrongly as it may have been Ashley, whether as we all suspect it is for survival as it has always been has been spending a bit more than what we expected, but so what what can we really second guess Ashley due to the spending, I suspect not, but Rafa is a totally different story, yes you can compare Raf to KK and how Mr Wise sorted that, but would he really do the same again, don’t forget he and his bullying tactics got him where he is, due to KK and onwards has he realised that he has got to change, hence Rafa, if so then who has been feeding him this line !

• 83 Jib // May 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM

You are right – giving them time to sort out new clubs.

• 84 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM

I’m really struggling to comprehend that someone actually thinks that Churnley has had a positive effect on the club. He actually believes that winning a cup is harmful to a clubs success.

• 85 magscar // May 1, 2016 at 12:04 PM

You are up against on here as regards Charnley 🙂

Just another point though (if it is anymore than urban myth) if the first move was made by Rafa’s “people” to sound out situation would we still have McClaren or another identikit manager. Is Charnley getting some mitigation where in truth he doesn’t warrant it?

• 86 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 12:05 PM

Neither Obertan or Marveaux were going to feature again this season. You must know what it’s like when you’ve got someone working out their notice hanging round the place without a job to go to. Rafa seems to want a tight, involved bunch around him, hence his banishment of the kids from the training ground.
    Would either have been offered a new contract in the summer if we stay up? Would either have accepted a new Championship level contract? I doubt it.
    We are at a crossroads and how Ashley reacts if we stay up might be very different to the way he reacts if we go down. If we go down, he may well claim the coffers are empty and the big wages need to go. And neither of these two were ever cheap.

• 87 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 12:07 PM

I can’t see how Rafa and business as usual can be made to fit.
    Remember, he wants a sea, not a lamp.

• 88 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 12:07 PM

fair comment, I have to admit that I was playing a little bit of devils advocate, but at the same time, no devils advocate here, who do we praise for Rafa’s appointment, Rafa can’t appoint himself, so someone needs praise, who, ffs please don’t say Graham f—–g Carr lol

• 89 hibbitt // May 1, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Jail for Ashley

getting rid of chumlee might just be a step to far for ashley it all depends if rafa can work with him or not

• 90 mindshaft // May 1, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Wonder how bad Anitas injury is, he had been feeling his hamstring before the game and wasn’t fully fit by all accounts – looks like we may have Janmatt back at RB next week – Rafa needs to tell him that defending is his main priority

• 91 Hail Wor Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Surprised at Obertan because he seemed to have matured in terms of application and work ethic, his physique testament to that. Yesterday in the final 10mins, we were crying out for pace on the counter too.

Marveaux is more clear-cut, probably just got sick of pointlessly coming in to training for his £40k pw and the coaches deemed him dead weight, maybe even a negative influence, so they agreed to mutually end it a couple of months early.

• 92 Hail Wor Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Anyway, might be bollocks, unless I’ve missed an official announcement?

• 93 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Sea?..sofa…I’d already had a five minute predictive text battle with Hibbitt.
    I doubt Charnley will be sacked. He is a useful fellow for Ashley to have about the place in lots of ways that have nowt to do with football.
    What I dread is a repeat of the Shearer scenario, when he was asked to submit his plans and is still waiting for a reply.
    Hopefully not.

• 94 mindshaft // May 1, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Personally I think I prefer Anita playing at RB

On a separate note: Rafa has done well by playing people in preferred positions and having two holding mids in
    We have way too many players for the false no 10 role in SDJ, Gini, Shelvey, Sissoko, Perez and only one can play
    Moving Townsend back to the right wing has been a revelation and something AT mentioned himself yesterday

• 95 magscar // May 1, 2016 at 12:15 PM

If the worst happens and we go down then there will have to be a shift in stance from Club and Benitez to enable a compromise to work. Probably not an even change on each side. The dilemma as I see it is with an in-demand manager however much he has enjoyed his time and bonded with us and however much Club want him can there be a big enough cake to facilitate discussions in the first place or are they not able to even get off the ground.

How does FFP affect us?

• 96 magscar // May 1, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Sea ?? lamp??

Have to confess that was a cryptic allusion too far for my brain on a Sunday morning.

Now clearer

• 97 clinath@ed // May 1, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Someone asked earlier, why McClaren continued to play Collo over Lascelle? I’m afraid he made the same decision many average managers make when under pressure, he went for experience over potential.
    Rafa, however, is not under any real pressure at all…fail, and he got here too late, succeed and he is the hero….
    Hi me playing the same 11 for the last few games, and possibly the last 2, indicates he wants continuity, trust and building a team spirit amongst the first team.

• 98 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 12:19 PM

It’s nothing compared to the predictive text battles I have with your name.
    Perhaps it is telling us to make-up?

• 99 Novocastrian66 // May 1, 2016 at 12:22 PM

I thought Crystal Palace were excellent yesterday, they really made a game of it. They certainly didn’t lie down for us. We had to play and defend well to win, which we did. Darlow just edged Townsend for my M.O.M

• 100 clinath@ed // May 1, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Oh, and did Cabaye miss his penalty on purpose?… bet he chuffin did.

• 101 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 12:22 PM

did Rafa approach us, for arguments sake lets say he did, but then lets say that you and I did as well, we are hardly likely to get it but me personally at times I do send messages to see what is on offer, that doesn’t mean I will take the first job offered but what it does mean is that I will look and see if it is if interest to me, this job has had to have been sold to him, Rafa is not a “I need to pay my mortgage type of manager”, Rafa is the sort of manager who speaks money first, as in transfer kitty then personal wages are not as important, he strives success not money , that is clear to all, so bearing that in mind, why did he come here, what were the motives, like I say, it is possible that we have under-estimated Charnley

• 102 sing in the corner // May 1, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Lindisfarne @43
    Ah ok. Yeah it makes a nice change from the usual feeling of recent times that we’re being unceremoniously rogered ragged by the whole NUFC experience.

• 103 Jib // May 1, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Charnley isn’t going anywhere he is too embedded in the club fabric .

Folk who call him some sort of glorified paper shuffler or sneeringly – tea boy – are way wide of the mark.

He will probably be delighted to hand all football related affairs to Benitez and his people.–CHARNLEY/companies

• 104 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 12:28 PM

if so then surely Charnley should be given some credit for a good appointment, would you agree or not !

• 105 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 12:29 PM

I have a feeling that Rafa is rather like his compatriot Don Quixote, in that he has a romantic attraction to a noble cause, particularly if there’s a hint of lost cause about it.
    I think that’s what led him to take over the local school team.
    I wouldn’t like to predict what he will do.
    He’s a tilter at windmills….like Champions’ League trophies, thankfully.

• 106 Tsunki // May 1, 2016 at 12:33 PM

I think I deserve a smiley and a star for not engaging in Spoofs Devils Advocate debate Re: the Fat One MkII.

Admire your bravery but when I read the reasoning, I see wisps of smoke and hear the sound of Sitar music 🙂

• 107 Jib // May 1, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Rumour has it that Manuel Quilón , Rafa’s agent got in touch with Ashley direct.
    Us mere mortals will never know the truth !

• 108 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 12:33 PM

That’s why he came to us.
    We might be giants.

• 109 Jail for Ashley // May 1, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Is Charnley Sanchez Panza?

• 110 Ron Knee // May 1, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Cervantes died 400 years ago last week, I think.

• 111 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 12:34 PM

a league bloody cup would do, if not that then a win against the sad ones would make do !

• 112 Jib // May 1, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Swansea giving Liverpool a bit of a slapping 2 – 0 at the mo’.
    Must be why Welshie ain’t been on 😀

• 113 Tsunki // May 1, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Champions league? Ha ha that’s some run up on that old horse 😀

• 114 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Him and Shakespeare!

Ye Olde Facebooke would have been in meltdown over all those celebs popping off at once.

• 115 Jib // May 1, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Amazingly Cervantes died on the same day as Will Shakespeare !

• 116 clinath@ed // May 1, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Perhaps Rafa sees us as Wenger’s Aresenal?

• 117 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 12:38 PM

quite possibly, but who from our end done the Alan Sugar apprentice final and said “your hired” ?

• 118 Tsunki // May 1, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Charnley being accredited with anything more than updating Companies House on the previous years’ chart of accounts is risible, sorry. Oh, and ordering in sufficient toner.

• 119 Tsunki // May 1, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Spoof you’re living up to your name ha ha

• 120 Jib // May 1, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Some historians speculate that they may have met.

Cervantes was a tax collector in Andalucia.

Some believe the missing years in Shakespeares life are a result of him being part of Drake’s raid on Cadiz and captured.

WS does display great knowledge of things military and naval and clearly spoke Spanish and Italian quite well.

• 121 Novocastrian66 // May 1, 2016 at 12:40 PM

100clinath@ed, Cabaye didn’t miss his pen on purpose. He hit the target and Darlow saved it. If he was going to miss on purpose he would have missed the target.

• 122 Blackley and Brownlie // May 1, 2016 at 12:40 PM

When people like myself sneeringly call Charnley the tea boy, it’s not because we don’t recognise that he might have other skills and talents. Unlike you, who appears to know him personally the way you are talking, many of us don’t know much about him. He might for all I know be a crochet champion. Or for all you know, he might be a master of tea brewing and have a certificate to show for it. However, as far as running a football club at any level is concerned, we’ve not heard anything about it. The reason I and others call him the tea boy is because he clearly has no idea about football and how to run a successful club. He proves that every day. Until recently, you were fully backing Charnley’s appointment, Stevie Mac, as the saviour of the club. Like Charnley, you thought he just needed more time. I’ve put you right twice today. There’s a good lad Jib. Now go and put the kettle on.

• 123 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 12:40 PM

An unlikely scenario never put old Donkey off.

• 124 Ron Knee // May 1, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Exactly. Shakespeare, Cervantes and Billy Paul all in the same month!

• 125 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM

is Rafa actually our manager, as I seem to recall that he was instated as our manager by Penfold, yet know one seems prepared to accept that he did make the appointment, Ashley, it was stipulated that Rafa was in charge without ever meeting him, perhaps it was hong kong fuey as it surely couldn’t be Penfold, or could it, the plot thickens lol

• 126 clinath@ed // May 1, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Too obvious Novo…but I do not intend to take anything away from Darlows, excellent save.
    But the pace and position of the penalty gave him the best opportunity to stop it.

• 127 BandB // May 1, 2016 at 12:45 PM

I think it was called Fizzogbooke back then.

Billy Paul…. what a mucky song!

• 128 Rotonda heights // May 1, 2016 at 12:50 PM

wolfshead at 65

strange little chap aren’t you. not heard from you for ages but straight in with a totally unfounded insult. well if it makes you happy I guess.

• 129 Spoof // May 1, 2016 at 12:51 PM

nah, m8, I’m serious, and if you look with an open mind you can see it, we do have some hope now, and how long is it since we had that,I don’t mean for survival I mean for a future, is this hope Charnley or is is a coincidence, I don’t know, but then none of us do so how can we possibly discredit him, food for thought me old maestro!

• 130 Tsunki // May 1, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Spoof I’ve no idea who appointed Rafa. I’m not sure about the idea that he approached the club with CV in hand, whether Ashley stepped over Charnley to break the curse, or whether Charnley hired Rafa in desperation.

Maybe it was a bit of the first and last. In any case, Charnley could and should have changed the record round about the Xmas period, it would have been the responsible thing to do. All the evidence points to Charnley doggedly sticking to his remit from Ashley to make the numbers work, and not knowing how to throw it back to Ashley that the formula doesn’t actually function like he thinks it should.

I expect Charnley at season end to remain only in a lesser administrative role, play to his pen Pushing strengths, and the football admin will hopefully be overseen by Rafa and his team. If Rafa leaves, and Charnley remains the “decision Maker” we will continue in the prior vein for another decade

• 131 magscar // May 1, 2016 at 12:59 PM

whilst I know who Mascara is do others? 🙂

x (if that is not too forward as a made up sign!)

previous post: Newcastle Veteran Attracting Interest From Chinese League