Newcastle Have Future England Defender In Their Ranks

Newcastle had to defend for their lives in that first half yesterday and we saw three excellent saves during that period from goalkeeper Karl Darlow.

We also saw the tackle of the game from young Jamaal Lascelles after just 11 minutes when Connor Whickham was straight through on goal.

Lascelles quickly tackled the former Sunderland striker with a sliding right-footed challenge that was perfectly timed to clear the ball and the danger – it was simply a wonderful tackle from the 22 year-old.

Jamaal+Lascelles Connor Whikham +Newcastle+United+v+Crystal+NVGr670Y6c-l

Fantastic sliding tackle from Jamaal Lascelles yesterday

On Match of the Day last night former Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy talked about Jamaal and he´s been impressed with the young Newcastle center-back who has started six game since Rafa Benitez arrived at the club:

“I hadn’t seen too much of him and I think in the last few weeks he has really come to the fore.”

“Jamaal Lascelles is athletic, he is outspoken as well – which you don’t mind because it shows that he cares, good positional play.”

“There is a lot more to his game than that. He made the best tackle of the match , spots the danger and his speed gets him back and the timing – he goes to ground and if you don’t get the ball you are in trouble.”

“His distribution – I always like to see a defender who is willing to play it out.”

“He showed leadership qualities as well: pointing at people, shouting at them and organizing.”

“Second half Newcastle didn’t have as much defending to do, but he showed glimpses of his strength, his pace and his calmness.”

“The big question for me is  ’Why the hell wasn’t he playing earlier?’ – because he does looks a really terrific player.”

He wasn´t playing earlier because Steve McClaren would have kept Coloccini – his captain – and Mbemba as first choices throughout the season – assuming they were available.

And we notice that Rafa isn´t too keen to rush Colo back into the team with Lascelles and Mbemba looking so good – and they are both in their very early twenties.

Jamaal when younger was tipped to become a future top England International and from what we´ve seen of him lately he´s exactly that.

And our two buys from Nottingham Forest, Jamaal and Karl Darlow have performed extremely well for us since Rafa joined the club.

They look like two top acquisitions for Newcastle and credit goes to both Englishmen, who seem to have tip-top temperaments for these big games.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Slank

May 1, 2016 at 10:50 AM

REPOST

Jimmysmith

Why would you want to move on our only two left footed left backs (Dummitt and Haidara) in addition to our three defensive midfielders (Colback, Tiote and Saivet) and our first and second choice keepers but keep Colo and Saylor ?

• Jib

May 1, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Hibbit
    No Metro’s from Palma de Mallorca 😀

• Slank

May 1, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Lascelles has looked good from the start and got better with every game. Yesterday he had an outstanding game and certainly a contender for the under 25 national side.

He looks like the ideal replacement for Colo not only in that defensive position but also as captain.

• jimmysmith

May 1, 2016 at 10:57 AM

I think half the squad is under threat, and half of that lot likely to go. It depends on the money offered and who we can get to replace them.

• Lindisfarne

May 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Magscar

Three times in 9 days is pushing it 😉

• BandB

May 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Has there been an article or a discussion on Obertan and Marveaux being released yesterday?

It’s been a blog chestnut for years, but I haven’t seen much reaction.

• Jib

May 1, 2016 at 11:02 AM

I think you will find that when we stay up and Rafa rebuilds the side the discussions we are having now about who stays and who goes will look silly.

He doesn’t muck about and has a huge database of players and their profiles.

• BandB

May 1, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Contracts paid up, I understand.

• wolfshead@toon

May 1, 2016 at 11:03 AM

i see pardew had a pop at the fat controller yesterday i was thinking its a bit late in the day for that alan old son

• toon kk

May 1, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Great unexpected win yesterday, Darlow, Townsend and Las cells were excellent.
    Nice to see some effort from our players.
    My biggest concern is our striker’s, they rarely score.

• Slank

May 1, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Jib

Very much agree with you.

All talk about what may or may not happen after the last game of the season is very premature.

• Bambams

May 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Spoof

Sorry fella I only just caught up. …

I am happy to be proven wrong re Charnley and it’s all about opinions. Hopefully Rafa will influence him.
    I base my statement on a few things, when SMC was left in limbo when we were trying to sign Rafa it was nothing more than a Sunday Pub team chairman the way he was handled.
    I genuinely believe KK was correct in his assessment of Charnley and the ‘fill the back of a stamp’….
    I was made aware when Rafa first took over and he looked at the fixtures he approached Charnley about the postponed Citeh match. Charnley didn’t realise ‘he’ had to contact all parties to rearrange the fixture.

I have met him twice in relation to my job, he was pleasant and assisted us. However I think he is way over his head for his position at a huge premier league club.

Yes we had rubbish earlier in as you have stated JFK and Lambias. …You would of thought Ash would have learned by now.

As I say I will eat humble pie if he improves with the help of Rafa.

Time will tell, cheers for the craic fella

• lesh

May 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Spoof

You’re right about Penfold. He has transformed the Club – from potential relegation candidate last season to a train crash this.

He didn’t appoint Rafa and he didn’t have the training or experience to see through Carr – don’t forget it’ll have been Charnley who’s have signed off Carr’s recommendations for Ashley’s approval to spend.

We cannot afford another season under his control.

• Jail for Ashley

May 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM

BandB,
    I don’t think anyone cares about them, I think Obretoon might come in handy in the Championship though.
    Wolfs,
    See his lying twitching body language as he did though. Complicit weasel!

• Jail for Ashley

May 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Bambams,
    Did he know what day of the week it was?

• jimmysmith

May 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Should we stay up Benitez will attract quality the like rarely if ever seen on Tyneside, and with the money on offer in the EPL, there will be a large pool to draw from. Should we stay up, we are in for a thrilling window, by our standards.

• Spoof

May 1, 2016 at 11:12 AM

We are in a desperate situation yet we are now the most positive we have been since we finished fifth, at long last the club have given us a positive vibe, I hope we survive and Rafa stays and we do move forwards, well done to Lee Charnley, at least he has restored some hope for us which is more than what we have ever had since KK walked out.

• WWSBRD

May 1, 2016 at 11:12 AM

BandB
    The reaction to them leaving is fitting really it’s a meh response much like their Newcastle careers

Marv successfully milked the club for as much as he could (well within his rights) and Obertan was average but got injured far too often. Good luck to them but I doubt anyone is that fussed

• BandB

May 1, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Jail,

I’m surprised at the lack of comment.
    The deadwood debate has been a runner, and a few seemed to harbour suspicions Obertan might get a one-year extension.
    I am encouraged, and if they were also told to their faces it would be another hint that some fresh air is finally blowing through SJP.

• WWSBRD

May 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Spoof
    I think ur giving the tea boy in charge way too much credit

• BandB

May 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Sorry Yo,

I was typing and missed your response otherwise I’d have stuck you on too.

• toon kk

May 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Jimmy Smith
    Remember MA still owns the club there won’t be a bottomless pit of money to be spent, it will take several years for Rafa to build the right team. If we stay up.

• Bambams

May 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Jail

I can’t even remember what day it was !

• Spoof

May 1, 2016 at 11:16 AM

lesh

sorry m8, but he was responsible for sacking and replacing SM, that has never been doubted and it was he who brought Rafa to us, hate him as much as you like, but at times credit has got to be given, seriously, I think this is one of those times.

• Jail for Ashley

May 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Spoof,
    Have you taken leave of your senses?

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Jib
    Your talk on here always looks silly, mate. No better example than yesterday when you were slagging off Mike Dean and cited three decisions as evidence, all of which were correct decisions in anyone’s book.

• jimmysmith

May 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Ashley has already committed to further spending, in addition to what we might recoup on sales. I expect Rafa will bring in 5, and they’ll be good.

• WWSBRD

May 1, 2016 at 11:19 AM

BandB
    Haha no bother

Fair point on how they were let go aswell, I’ve not heard anything to say it was as unprofessionally as Ryan and Jonas which ud imagine would of been made public. Maybe times are a changing

• Bambams

May 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM

I wonder how much (if we stay up) Rafa will get ?

Could you imagine if/when we survive and the window opens for Ashley to come out with “The bank account is almost empty” or worse “Rafa has far too high intentions for me to risk the financial stability of this club, we place on record our thanks for his services”

I prey lessons have been learned, but this is Newcastle Utd led by Ashley/Charnley

• WWSBRD

May 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Spoof
    There’s very little evidence to say Charnley brought in Rafa, from what I gathered Rafa approached us and Ashley hired him

• Jail for Ashley

May 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Marveaux should have been wearing a mask and a stripey jumper for the last five years. I wonder who’s brainchild the five year contract for players was?

• BandB

May 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Yo

Yeah…
    I took it as a potentially positive sign. Which is why I’m surprised it warranted the indifference. Their contracts were nearly up, but it looks clean, decisive, and welcome.

• jimmysmith

May 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Ashley can’t hold onto Rafa, without stumping up. We’ve had a woeful season.

• Jail for Ashley

May 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Bambams,
    Does he not automatically stay if we stay up.

• WWSBRD

May 1, 2016 at 11:24 AM

BandB
    Fingers crossed. Rafa comes across as a very professional man, hopefully it was with his input that the decision to give them early release was made

• Spoof

May 1, 2016 at 11:24 AM

WWSBRD

Possibly I am, but one hell of a debate could be had from it as we do now spend money and have a big time manager who seems to be revelling in his time here, think back to before Charnley took over, what a shambles we were, no hope no nothing, it aint like that now, so why not give Chanley some of the credit, since Ashley took over we have never had as much hope/optimism as we do now !

• Jail for Ashley

May 1, 2016 at 11:25 AM

The five year contract malarky was so that we got two good years out of them and then sold them on before they got any grand ideas about running their contracts down. Not that they’d do that though as we only sugn impeccable characters whose backgrounds have been thoroughly researched.

• Bambams

May 1, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Jail

I am sure he has a three year contract on the table with a walk away clause.

I wonder if it is only Rafa who can exercise the clause or if Toon can also.

I just don’t trust Ash….Can we genuinely believe he will back Rafa or was it just put to him to get him here to keep us up.

Nothing surprises me with Ash

I just hope we do stay up, Rafa stays AND is backed FULLY by the club

• Jail for Ashley

May 1, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Spoof,
    I jumped the gun by asking if you’d taken leave of your senses. It shouldn’t have been a question but a statement. You’re clearly stark raving mad!

• Ron Knee

May 1, 2016 at 11:28 AM

I hope Ashley doesn’t draw the conclusion that a good manager + mediocre players = low-cost survival.