The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Is What Makes Rafa Benitez Both Savvy And Smart

4:44 pm, Monday, May 2nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 164 Comments

Rafa Benitez is not only a very smart coach and obviously simply world-class, but he is also very experienced and knows when not to comment about thorny issues.

We suppose that’s what 30 years in coaching and 23 years in management get you.

The way he played down Sam Allardyce’s comments during his news conference for the Crystal Palace game last Friday was smart.

rafa benitez Andros Townsend +Newcastle+United+v+Crystal+wH35XiVD3ell

Rafa Benitez thanks Andros Townsend on Saturday

Rafa was told Sam Allardyce said the Palace players would not be trying too hard on Saturday and the Spaniard brushed aside that (stupid) comment and wouldn’t get involved in the childish mind-games that sometimes go on between managers.

And on Sky Sport  he was asked if Steve McClaren had been sacked earlier would Newcastle be in a better position in the league table at the moment.

He sidestepped that little minefield by saying the following:

”I think it’s not fair if I say something about that. Always time is important for any manager.”

“We are where we are and we enjoy this challenge right now and we will try to enjoy it until the end of the season.”

“When we came we had a lot of injuries, we lost Rob Elliot and Massadio Haidaria who could have been an option.”

“We were playing with Vurnon Anita at left-back at the beginning, now we have him at right-back.”

“There were too many problems but the reaction of the players and the way they work every day in training is making a difference.”

“I can give a message but they have to go out on the pitch and perform.”

Aston Villa are next up and they are truly dead and buried in the Premier League with just 16 points from their 36 games.

But that doesn’t mean Saturday’s game will be easy and it will be anything but – as we expect the Villa players to try to get one last win for their fans.

Somehow Newcastle have to win this game for only our third away win of the season in our very last road game.

This season has again turned out to be a disastrous campaign for a club that has been run by incompetent people for far too long.

Hopefully that will all change this summer if we can avoid relegation in our final two games.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Prayer · Premier League

164 responses so far ↓

• 1 hibbitt // May 2, 2016 at 4:46 PM

mr tuff

its not the fact he thinks we will go down or the constant reminders of how bad our squad is but the fact he wants to gloat at about it

lets have the inquest after the spurs game when we know were we are

i am sure he will remind us he told us so IF we go down

• 2 Mister Tuff // May 2, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Hibbitt well if he does gloat – give him an earbashing then.
    He may well gloat – but equally he may not.

• 3 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Sorry, can’t resist for the sake of humour. Nothing personal as it happens , just too good to pass by.

“True gag specialist”

Example. Bobby blobby, mr blobby”

It would’ve been a crime against comedic efforts to let that go. Bit if fun, nothing more sinister. 😉

• 4 Mister Tuff // May 2, 2016 at 4:58 PM

BandB I sometimes have a bit of difficulty understanding what you mean – sometimes it is too oblique to get my old brain around – oblique -is that the right word.
    Anyway I’m aware that as a person who writes -you would not be onboard to suggest what others can and cannot say. Goes without saying. Just think that some folk might want to say things now -when they might feel a real urge to do so and not bottle it up. I would not deny them their choice of moment/timing.
    Food analogy?????????????????????/

You need to force feed your nippers with their five a day fruit and veg otherwise as wise folk tell us health problems will occur in the future.
    Put your foot down.

• 5 Essex Geordie Bill // May 2, 2016 at 5:02 PM

In the interests of blog equilibrium and the relief of discord might I suggest that a vote be taken as to who is the funniest contributor to the blog.

To be fair to everyone else I will opt out of the vote.

• 6 Rotonda heights // May 2, 2016 at 5:03 PM

i really hope defoe’s 94th minute dive isn’t what ultimately sinks us. such a beautiful day up till that point. It seems cameron was desperate to give the game away one way or the other.

The rewards of having rafa as boss again in the PL next season is so tantalising and agonising at the same time.

Winning the next 2 games doesn’t guarantee anything Ed if Sunderland and Norwich match it and overtake us with the game in hand. I’ve not been to church in a while but may just pay a little visit.

• 7 BandB // May 2, 2016 at 5:05 PM

The moral of the Parable of the Celery is this.
    (And of course, parables are deliberately oblique)
    We’ll ALL eat celery, peppers, courgettes, carrots, in just the same way we all support this club.
    But if you force feed them something done in a way they don’t like the LOOK of, they’ll object to eating something they actually don’t mind.

Now shut up and eat your carrots.

• 8 Rotonda heights // May 2, 2016 at 5:05 PM

I think you should have a range of different categories like:-

1) Funniest
    2) Most informed and knowledgeable
    3) Stupidest and most annoying

etc, etc

• 9 Rotonda heights // May 2, 2016 at 5:07 PM

That’s spooky, I had celery, peppers, courgettes, carrots in a vegetable lasagne last night

• 10 Essex Geordie Bill // May 2, 2016 at 5:07 PM

On the matter of humour, the least funny comedians for me are the one liners, I think that Milton Whosit who often appears on Mock The Week is hopeless, the funniest thing about him is his hair.

Just my opinion though!

• 11 Mister Tuff // May 2, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Always interesting to hear people like a joke and to acually say they like having a laugh.
    Is it their jokes or other peoples joke they like to laugh at.
    Just an opinion on the humour topic and purely posted as an opinion an nothing else in order to demonstrate two sides of the penny.
    Not posted to incur the wrath of others or to invite a ruck by any over exitablable types.
    A light hearted posted not designed to offend, a post submitted innocently during this period of the run in love in. I love you all.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 5:07 PM

The lot of them should be horse whipped then put in gibbet cages on the banks of the Tyne if we go down. Jail’s too good for ’em!

• 13 Essex Geordie Bill // May 2, 2016 at 5:11 PM

I don’t go to church but I might just sacrifice a chicken with my local coven.

Carrots are supposed to be good for eyesight, perhaps we should club together and send the refs. association several thousand Kgs worth.

• 14 Mister Tuff // May 2, 2016 at 5:13 PM

BandB – nip their noses – when the trapdoor opens get a spoonful in. Been done for generations.

• 15 BandB // May 2, 2016 at 5:17 PM

It was done to me as a baby, especially at bedtimes.
    Must be why I still hate the taste of brandy.

• 16 Mister Tuff // May 2, 2016 at 5:18 PM

BandB – if that fails – try the liquidiser, funnel and length of garden hose method.

• 17 Mister Tuff // May 2, 2016 at 5:20 PM

BandB I can recall the nose nip for horrible tasting medicines as they were in yesteryear. Now a lot are vfruit flavoured so the old methods are now redundant.

• 18 Bambams // May 2, 2016 at 5:26 PM

I will put my neck on the line here….

We will play very well at Villa and will win by two goals.

I will have Sunderland and Norwich losing at the weekend.

• 19 Hail Wor Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Two best comedians currently are both Yanks and ginger – Bill Burr and Louis CK.

• 20 Hail Wor Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Carrots being good for eyesight was an old war propaganda move due to the sugar rationing wasn’t it? Though eat enough and you will get an orange glow to your skin.

• 21 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // May 2, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Lol, awesome football talk. I’m intrigued.

• 22 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 5:41 PM

The carrots thing comes from WW2 and revolves around our radar quality. The germans were concerned we’d developed a weapon to see in the dark and to put them off trail, we let a spy hear that the reason for our night time successes was the pilots had started eating carrott to increase their night vision. Germans bought it allegedly.

• 23 BandB // May 2, 2016 at 5:43 PM

It was always Ginger who bought it in the war films I watched.
    Not sure whether it was Ginger Bill or Ginger Louis.

• 24 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 5:44 PM

Anyway, half time burnley match. 0-0. What a rock Barton is in their midfield. If they go up, a lot of it is Barton’s influence on and off the pitch. Great player imo.

• 25 Our Toon // May 2, 2016 at 5:45 PM

The first thing to do in the summer window whether we stay up or go down is get rid of Janmaat and colo. At RB Anita has produced some quality crosses and had montero in his pocket, the same montero who ripped Janmaat apart in 30mins before he bottled it and got himself sent off.

We need fighters not bottlers

• 26 Our Toon // May 2, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Someone was telling me that Armstrong hasn’t scored for 10 games, do any posters know if that’s true?

• 27 Tsunki // May 2, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Rotonda @8 – ahhh out of three isn’t bad. 😐

• 28 Tsunki // May 2, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Oh and Rob – shut it.

• 29 Sir Braveheart // May 2, 2016 at 6:07 PM

So, predictions for next weekend guys and girls? I’m going with

Villa 1 – 3 Newcastle
    Sunderland 0 – 1 Chelsea
    Norwich 2 – 2 Man Utd

• 30 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 6:08 PM

100% agreed, they can take Sisoko with them as well, three players who have had themselves deliberately sent off over the last two season. Apart from spitting, probably one of the most cowardly things to do in football!

• 31 Lindisfarne // May 2, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Milton Whatsit –

Grandad was very ill and having tried everything we tried the old fashioned remedy of outing Duck Fat on his back…..He went downhill very fast after that.

• 32 Lindisfarne // May 2, 2016 at 6:09 PM

# outing = putting

• 33 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Villa 0-Rafa 4
    mackems 0-Chelsea 2

• 34 Blackley and Brownlie // May 2, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Between Tsunki, Jib and me for the funniest. But if I was forced to chose, I’d have to say old Blackas.

• 35 Blackley and Brownlie // May 2, 2016 at 6:16 PM

• 36 Belfast // May 2, 2016 at 6:19 PM

There’s a lot more football talk on here than there is on the nufc digest site 🙂

• 37 Our Toon // May 2, 2016 at 6:19 PM

Agreed mate.

We needs spurs to get a point tonight and hopefully they win next week and Arsenal lose. Means spurs will have 2nd spot sawn up when we play them so players will hopefully be thinking of euros rather than winning the game.

Think Chelsea will turn over Mackems hopefully by a 2 goals or more, let’s get that goal difference back.

Villa was the scene of our last relegation I hope lighting doesn’t strike twice.

Norwich are already down in my eyes, think Manchester Utd will turn them over

• 38 Our Toon // May 2, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Lightening not lighting

• 39 Belfast // May 2, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Sorry couldn’t resist.

I loved nufc digest really.

• 40 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 6:23 PM

I left a comment on one September I wated till Christmas till Kimbo replied so I replied to her the following Easter.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 6:25 PM

Not only did we get relegated at Villa park but we failed to beat Spurs on the last day twenty years ago which would have won us the league if Man U were beaten 16-0!

• 42 Bambams // May 2, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Sir Braveheart

I am too superstitious to type the scores ……I have even stopped playing Super6

Literally !

I have stopped watching the football at my local because I never saw us win one game this season when watching it there
    I now go to Vietcram to watch (Swansea man city, Liverpool and Palace matches)
    I wear my England Rugby shirt to watch the games (100% success for England Rugby matches rubbing off)

• 43 hibbitt // May 2, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Our Toon

a win at villa anyway anyhow but we must win
    i’d take 1-nil as long as we win

• 44 sing in the corner // May 2, 2016 at 6:36 PM

I know what you mean about the 1 nil being ok, but after the Palace game I don’t think it will be good for me ticker! A nice 2 goal cushion for the majority of the game would be therapeutic!

• 45 Thump // May 2, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Welcome back, Burnley.

• 46 Thump // May 2, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Saturday’s going to be interesting. Boro and Brighton, both on 88 points (Boro ahead on GD) fighting it out for the last automatic promotion spot.

Then when that’s confirmed, we go to Villa park. Yay…

• 47 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 6:43 PM

That last twenty against Palace was nerve racking almost painful, probably the least enjoyable twenty minutes of my life, I nearly spewed it to go and watch it in the bar but I held my nerve.

• 48 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Well done Burnley. Well martialed by joey barton as only he knows how. Inspired signing despite all the bad publicity. I doubt they’d have gone up without him.

• 49 Jib // May 2, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Joey B back in the PL !!!

• 50 Blackley and Brownlie // May 2, 2016 at 6:48 PM

Can I change my vote for the funniest. Jail’s post @40 about just about steals it for him.

• 51 sing in the corner // May 2, 2016 at 6:48 PM

I am amazed there weren’t fatalities in the ground when it dawned that the ref had given a pen. Tension was unbelievable, but weirdly delicious (is it wrong to say that??)..

• 52 hibbitt // May 2, 2016 at 6:52 PM

games like that are not good for the over 65’s

• 53 welshgeordie9 // May 2, 2016 at 6:52 PM

My girlfriends dad asked me what I do. Apparently, “your daughter” wasn’t the right answer.

• 54 hibbitt // May 2, 2016 at 6:54 PM

you in nam or have i misread your post

• 55 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 6:57 PM

It took an eternity to realise he’d given one as well.
    Not good for the in between 43 and 45 year olds either :O

• 56 Bambams // May 2, 2016 at 7:08 PM

No mate I live in North Tyneside near The Pavilion Bar

The ‘Vietcram ‘ relates to Cramlington. ….

I used to live there but it’s a tag we use at work.

• 57 hibbitt // May 2, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Vietcram love it ………not that much difference

• 58 bettyswallocks // May 2, 2016 at 7:22 PM

Welsh……… Is it right that your lass put a mirror on your bedroom ceiling as she likes to watch herself laughing.

• 59 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 7:26 PM

And so to the final match of the day. Chelsea v Spurs. No love lost in this one, so any idea that Chelsea might roll over isn’t worth the time. Bound to be feisty as well, so the odd injury to Spurs and the occasional red card will be gratefully received this end of the country. Boro v Brighton, winner takes all, final fixture. There’s one for Hippo Heed to confuse himself with. 😉

• 60 toon kk // May 2, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Just logged on and read your post from earlier, who rattled your cage calling me a sad fu##er? You obviously think you views matter most?
    It doesn’t matter two fks what anyone says what ever happens happens. We’re all living in hope for survival, so let’s hope we do.

• 61 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Evening betty. Trust you are well? 😉

• 62 bettyswallocks // May 2, 2016 at 7:34 PM

I’m ok Bob thanks. Trying to stay young and hopeful.

• 63 welshgeordie9 // May 2, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Dont need a mirror, she knows I’m good.

• 64 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Just trying to find some of my old “what’s too good for Ashley” posts, can’t seem to find any though. Did find a post from bills son though saying Ashley was the best thing to happen to the club since SBR, no wonder he doesn’t post anymore :O

• 65 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 7:39 PM

toon kk,
    We’re showing real fight and determination and all you can pipe up with is that we’re going down, do you think that the 52K in there on Saturday thought the same!

• 66 Essex Geordie Bill // May 2, 2016 at 7:40 PM

just finished watching the Burnley game, feisty affair and all of the QPR players first touch was appalling.

On that showing I would put Burnley as favourites to be relegated.

• 67 bettyswallocks // May 2, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Welsh……. You must be the first one in your family to be born without a tail.

• 68 welshgeordie9 // May 2, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Another bad joke there Betty, come on you can do better than that, or maybe not.

Ha ha ha

• 69 welshgeordie9 // May 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Surly sometime you’ve been thinking it.

• 70 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Pleased to hear it. I understand to an extent the negative attitude – it’s bound to happen. By understand, i mean i can see where it comes from, but this isn’t the same old Newcastle, is it? This is Newcastle under Rafa and a team finally playing as a team. He believes we’ll beat Villa. Depending on how sunlun do will determine his approach to Spurs. This was always his plan and so far so good. He factored in sunluns remaining fixtures and believes we can do it. In the last few games we’ve come from behind to draw or when we score first we win. Under macca it would never have happened, but this is Rafa. He’s getting my trust on the issue. Bring on Villa, i can’t wait. 😉

• 71 BandB // May 2, 2016 at 7:50 PM

What negative attitude Bobby?
    Toon KK?
    Are you going to start windmilling about that, Begbie?

• 72 welshgeordie9 // May 2, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Fight and determination should have started at the beginning of the season not the end, obviously didn’t learn from last season.

• 73 toon kk // May 2, 2016 at 7:51 PM

I’m trying not to build myself up for disappointment. We’ve been diabolical nearly all season up until of late. Sunderland have a game in hand and we finish with Spurs.
    But hey at least we have some hope since Rafa arrived.

• 74 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Jail, don’t want to worry you marra, but you’re starting to sound like me! 😉 Not knocking it, it’s good to see. 😉

• 75 Tsunki // May 2, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Right I need some clarification on this “funniest” thing. Is it intentionally funniest, unintentionally funniest, mad as a bag of weasels or plain creepfest? Regardless I think I know the winner 🙂

• 76 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Please just try to make the effort and try to engage that half brain of yours before typing! I’m sure there must be pictorial books to help you do this.

• 77 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 7:56 PM

BandB, wtf are you on about? Can i not comment without being accused of starting a row? My post is pretty self explanatory with no hidden agendas. I was talking football with betty. Not allowed on your blog then? Sorry. 😉

• 78 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 7:57 PM

toon kk,
    I was certain we were going down after not beating Norwich and in my heart the mackems but I said so and explained why, you just keep saying were

• 79 Tsunki // May 2, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Hi Belfast.

• 80 bettyswallocks // May 2, 2016 at 7:59 PM

You seem quite chirpy Welshie for someone who has just suffered the ultimate rejection. When you were having a tommy tank and your hand fell asleep.

• 81 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Saved by the football. Can’t be doing with that shyt tonight. Later.

• 82 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 7:59 PM

We’re going down, without explanation, results have gone our way and there is real belief now, if we can win at the worst club in the division on Saturday there has to be serious hope.

• 83 welshgeordie9 // May 2, 2016 at 8:00 PM

I will leave things like that to you when you are thinking of jail and tuff.

Ha ha ha

• 84 toon kk // May 2, 2016 at 8:01 PM

This is the trouble with this blog, some think your not allowed an opinion and only there’s counts.

• 85 welshgeordie9 // May 2, 2016 at 8:02 PM

So you never thought at the back of your mind that we might just might go down.

• 86 welshgeordie9 // May 2, 2016 at 8:04 PM

toon kk

I get that all the time, apparently we are not allowed to give opinions, well we can but you just got to agree with everything they say.

• 87 toon kk // May 2, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Is it the wrong time of the month?

• 88 wolfshead@toon // May 2, 2016 at 8:06 PM

stop picking on kk

• 89 Jail for Ashley // May 2, 2016 at 8:08 PM

PLEASE try and use your half brain. Yes I thought we were going down.
    toon kk,
    It appears that it is constantly the wrong time of mo th for you added to you running out of prozac!

• 90 BandB // May 2, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Toon KK says he’s worried we’ll go down.
    Is there anyone who isn’t?
    Has he said he wants us to go down?

• 91 toon kk // May 2, 2016 at 8:14 PM

You really are are sad fkr if your life revolves around giving abuse on this blog.
    Get a life mate. Everyone is entitled to there opinions.

• 92 bettyswallocks // May 2, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Tsunki…… Who’s the winner?

• 93 clinath@ed // May 2, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Spurs 1 up

• 94 Jib // May 2, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Good game – good goal from Kane
    I’ll be very surprised if there are 22 players on the pitch by the final whistle

• 95 Tsunki // May 2, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Betty I’m not the judge, fortunately. But I would put money on Ketsy, Toonbrother and Rob Vollans (but only in one of his personas) being on the shortlist. But I haven’t got any. So I won’t.

• 96 mickybraham // May 2, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Spurs 2-0 not not not good

• 97 clinath@ed // May 2, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Spurs 2 up

• 98 Munster Mag // May 2, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Oh shiiit not good

• 99 Munster Mag // May 2, 2016 at 8:48 PM

I think spurs are a better team than Leicester in many ways. Better football amyway. Not good for toon

• 100 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // May 2, 2016 at 8:49 PM

dembele joining alli in the stands for our match . small boost, but ill take it.

• 101 Thump // May 2, 2016 at 8:50 PM

This is going down to the end of the season. We need to wrap this up ASAP and make sure we aren’t at risk of going down by the time Spurs roll around.

Also, what the fsck was Dembele thinking of with the eye gouge?

• 102 Jib // May 2, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Eye gouging by footy softies – what is the world coming to ?

• 103 JP...from The Rock // May 2, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Fcuk you Chelsea Fcuk Youuuu!!!! Everytime I want a ‘top 4’ club to win they kick me in the balls and let me down. I can’t believe how it always happens.

• 104 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // May 2, 2016 at 8:55 PM

JP…from The Rock
    chill , we need two “top Four” clubs to win next weekend. lets hope they do and things will be irie

• 105 Back Door Man // May 2, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Spare me the pissing contest about who’s the fairest wit stalking the blog for there is only one.  The bastard spawn descended from a bowl of spunk donated by Charlie Chaplin,  Buster Keaton, Groucho Marx and freshened-up by Tommy Cooper;  the whole mix then incubated by the great Joan Rivers – I give you the blog’s very own Frankie Boyle, the wonderful Back Door Man.

• 106 Belfast // May 2, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Predicting multiple red cards second half.

• 107 Jib // May 2, 2016 at 8:58 PM

I think Danny Rose could be redcarded before this game is finished – he’s nuts.

• 108 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // May 2, 2016 at 9:00 PM

i hope not, we need Chelsea fresh and at FULL stength for saturday.
    that being said, ill take a rose RC, Kane would be better though…

• 109 Belfast // May 2, 2016 at 9:00 PM

Hi Skunki, where’s the right rev Ian toon these days? Church business?

• 110 bettyswallocks // May 2, 2016 at 9:10 PM

BDM……. Good to see someone proud of their humility.

• 111 Harley // May 2, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Get in 2-1.

• 112 Tsunki // May 2, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Belfast – damn there’s another contender. How I forgot Ian I don’t know. Sorry Ian 😐

• 113 hibbitt // May 2, 2016 at 9:32 PM

we get your message we could hardly not your like a broken record you just repeat the same shit
    we all know the squads poor we all know we could go down but unlike you we don’t spout it every 5 minute
    Rafe can only play the the players we have we know some of them are poor in fact very poor but at lest rafa has got them trying
    IF we go down no doubt you will take great pleasure in telling us you were right
    It was you who rattled my cage with your constant moaning Rafa has to go with the players we’ve got moaning wont help

Just give the moaning a rest till the end of the season try and be a little positive if you can the rest of us would appreciate it

sorry for the rant

• 114 JP...from The Rock // May 2, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Hahahha yesss my jinx may finally be over! What a goal by Hazard!! Well done Leicester you have done the impossible and deserve the EPL title. Sureley no way back for Spurs now.

• 115 Toon Tang // May 2, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Get in Chelski

• 116 Obertans_on_roids // May 2, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Spurs won’t be able to field a team against us at this rate.!

• 117 Toon Tang // May 2, 2016 at 9:54 PM

9 yellow cards for spuds and no red yet. My gosh

• 118 Jib // May 2, 2016 at 9:55 PM

Spurs will get fined for the number of yellows methinks – 8 so far with Dembele to be reviewed !

• 119 Jib // May 2, 2016 at 9:55 PM

Whoops make that 9

• 120 Jib // May 2, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Well done Leicester

• 121 Yo-yo // May 2, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Good for Leicester. Just shows what a good manager can do.
    Fairy tale ending at top end of the table … now its our turn…

• 122 MacToon // May 2, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Well done Leicester. Thrown the Premiership wide open.

Just hope we’re there to enjoy the drama next season.

• 123 swemag // May 2, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Lost for words. Leicester. That is real history.

• 124 Bambams // May 2, 2016 at 9:58 PM

One more star coming into line…..

Just another very small step but a one we needed.

Well done Leicester

• 125 Harley // May 2, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Tonight’s worked out great.

Chelsea have come back from 2-0 down to get a morale boosting result.
    They’ll hopefully carry that momentum on to Sunderland.
    They’ve stopped Spurs having something to play for.
    Hazard looks like he’s hit form just in time.
    Now we need Spurs to beat Southampton on Sunday and obviously Sunderland and Norwich to lose on Saturday.

• 126 Belfast // May 2, 2016 at 10:00 PM

That was absolutely brilliant haha like the Arsenal Man United games when they despised each other. Some of those tackles in the second half tremendous! 🙂

• 127 lochinvar // May 2, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Dear Father – I have sinned. I supported Chelsea for last ten minutes .
    Get in Leicester.
    FA will have to throw the book at a Spurs for all their bookings, Dembele eye gouging and failing to control players , Ponchettino on the pitch and fracas at end in tunnel. Lovely stuff.

• 128 jimmysmith // May 2, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Congratulations Leicester! The title won tonight courtesy of professional pride from Chelsea. For the same reason Spurs will come to St James and want to win, and they are very good. Villa would likely have taken 3 at away at Watford had they kept 11 on the pitch, and will put up a fight at home because of it too. They are both very tough games for us, and four points seem our most likely outcome optimistically speaking. I think we are fifty fifty to stay up, and have done just enough to have any chance at all. Every point we’ve picked up since Rafa arrived has been essential.

• 129 Toon Tang // May 2, 2016 at 10:04 PM

Looking forward to Smoggies game on Sat. That should be a battle and a half

• 130 welshgeordie9 // May 2, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Well done to Leicester, fully deserved, what a match that was tonight, how the hell did that end with no red cards.

• 131 Mister Tuff // May 2, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Please please lads n’ lasses let’s not start a ruck. We should be concentrating all our efforts on the relegation battle.
    This earlier talk of carrots was absolutely disgraceful at a time when our team and club are fighting for survival. Totally disrespectful especially when the carrot season has just started. We’ll not be able to say who cultivates the best carrots, Mr Carrot might suffer from carrot bacteriosis, root fly or carrot black rot.
    Plenty of hurdles to cross for Mr Carrot – so lets not even talk about such things until we have the final growing season results – it is then that we can talk about the growing season.

You will be allowed however to vent your anger and thereby stop a ruck by having a Val Doonican style fireside love in talking about the 60’s and 70’s music scene in the Toon. Tall stories are accepted – not even challenged.

So there -blueprint for no fighting or abuse.

Post submitted for the laudable purposes of creating calm on the blog at this most anxious period. Not submitted to cause offence to excitable types and even Kim Jung Un types who are known to post on here. Also not submitted for the purposes of causing a blog ruck. Chill folk. I love you all.

• 132 carltoon // May 2, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Well done Leicester. Hope we win at Villa .HWTL

• 133 sparky55 // May 2, 2016 at 10:11 PM

You couldn’t make this up in your wildest dreams…what a story and to think of our involvement in the sub plot whereby 9 spurs players get booked, two of them will probably be banned for our game, Alli is already out and they no longer have anything to play for…it’s a sub plot for us that is equally as massive as it is for Leicester…we now have a real chance so long as we beat Villa on Saturday…it’s incredible really and although Mashley doesn’t really deserve this break, we the fans do and I’m sat here buzzing’

We’ve now got a real chance

• 134 Our Toon // May 2, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Cracking result tonight for us, disgusting though to see Hazard turn it on against spurs because he wanted Leicester to win the title. The lad has been anonymous all season wanting a move away and out of spite he turned it on tonight which to me is a form of cheating as he hasn’t done it for 30 odd games of the season against others.

• 135 Ibizatoon // May 2, 2016 at 10:12 PM

I think in 100 years, when they talk about Leicester City winning the league, they’ll probably talk about how Jamie Carragher managed to turn it in to one of the most boring experiences ever.

Well done Leicester. What an achievement.

• 136 Mister Tuff // May 2, 2016 at 10:13 PM

Definite well done to Leicester.
    Lots of things out of our control are going our way – so far.

• 137 Thump // May 2, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Can’t stop smiling. Over the fscking moon for Leciester, their fans, the players.

But now we need to take a deep breath and realise that Danny Simpson has a premier league winners medal.

• 138 mattyNUFC // May 2, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Seeing Chelsea, Manu, City, Arsenal and finally Tottenham lose out and Leicester win is the football equivalent of seeing Wall Street execs broke and homeless. This final match was a beautiful swansong. Poor f****** losers the lot of that Tottenham team. Dier and Mason should be banned for a long time for those tackles. Despicable.

• 139 Ibizatoon // May 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Ha ha. Danny Simpson a PL winner.

• 140 lochinvar // May 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Danny Simpson – Toon legend ? Well he could have been if he had stayed !
    Hope Rafa makes our lot realise what they are playing for .. !

• 141 stan anderson // May 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM

How wonderful for the Foxes of Leicester.
    I am so envious.
    I’ve only waited 58 years to experience the same joy.

• 142 Ibizatoon // May 2, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Thump…Beat me. Just looking at him on SS1.

• 143 Our Toon // May 2, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Doesn’t matter how many spurs lads got booked today, they’ll get a fine nothing more so don’t understand why that’s great for us. What is good is Dembele will be out for that stupid eye gauge, and Alderwierald going off injured that could be massive for us……but what a sorry state of affairs when we celebrate shite like that as we should never have been in this situation to start with

• 144 lochinvar // May 2, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Is Leicester a holiday destination?
    Thought not.
    Well you can’t have everything can you.
    Bet King Richard is happy with the result.

• 145 Laurent Robert 32 // May 2, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Well to to Leicester. Once again showing that nothing is impossible in football.

• 146 Laurent Robert 32 // May 2, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Well done to Leicester, that was supposed to be.

• 147 Mister Tuff // May 2, 2016 at 10:20 PM

What was the secret formula to get a load of unknowns/footballing misfits playing the best football by far this season.
    Bit like a Holy Grail of football.

• 148 toon kk // May 2, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Well done Leicester.

It has been a very frustrating season,
    We all have a lot to put up with and we all deal with it in different ways.
    I can’t be bothered to get into petty arguments on this blog, there’s far more important things in my life.
    Just hope we stay up like every other fan.

Sorry if I’ve hurt your feelings.

• 149 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 2, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Dier is now on 10 yellows so will he get a 10 game ban like Colback did?

Just hope Chelsea come out like they did in the 2nd half with Hazard on against Sunderland as they would smash them in that kind of mood

• 150 manxpie // May 2, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Well done Leicester unbelievable achievement and Wat a game that was too all we need to do in the last game now is wind them up no end and they’ll be down to 8 players by half time properly lost there heads even there keeper that doesn’t play went nuts haha brilliant I hate the spuds

• 151 WWSBRD // May 2, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Lecister City well done, I’d still pick being a mag like but job well done…we will batter ya next season though

Spuds getting a few bans and injuries oooooh boy

• 152 Our Toon // May 2, 2016 at 10:28 PM

Dier won’t get banned that 10 yellow card ban finishes on 1st April. Now it’s 15 yellows to the end of the season

At least that’s what it’s always been from what I can remember

• 153 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 2, 2016 at 10:29 PM

@Our Toon

Yeah wasn’t sure if there was a cut off to be fair he should have been sent off before for some of his other tackles

• 154 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 10:30 PM

And more of the barrels click into place. 😉 If we don’t survive this, we can’t blame bad luck! Spurs totally lost control tonight, i couldn’t believe what I was watching. What did I say gefore ko about injuries abd red cards? Lmao! Many a true word spoken in jest. I just keep expecting things to fall our way and they do. One after another. It’s like Rafa wrote the script and he’s director. 😉 Get into that final game with a chance and anything could happen. Will happen. In Rafa we trust! HTL!!!!

• 155 Belfast // May 2, 2016 at 10:38 PM

Howay Matty I enjoyed that. That Chelsea mob give it out week in and week out.

• 156 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 10:39 PM

Dembelle should though, so that’s him and Alli. Rose appeared to pull a hamstring, that should be him out as well. Plus any other retrospective reds the panel can pick from that lot. Reckless or what? Discipline shot at. They’re metally shot at right now, but will it last? Let’s hope so. 😉

• 157 Bobbybee // May 2, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Or mentally at any rate. 🙂

• 158 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 2, 2016 at 10:43 PM

Alderweireld looked a bad injury for Spurs as well

• 159 Our Toon // May 2, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Spurs still have a very good squad, Chadli etc on bench. Let’s not look beyond villa though, think we are getting carried away here

• 160 MassiveG // May 2, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Think to get a retrospective red the ref has to have at least carded you for that challenge, no? So if they weren’t even carded then they can’t. Not sure what happens if they already were on a yellow and then foul someone later. If they can get Dier and Dembele then that would be useful!

• 161 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 2, 2016 at 10:49 PM

@Our Toon

If we cant beat Villa then we deserve to go down

My only worry about playing them is not having a striker who looks capable of the getting the goals we need

• 162 WWSBRD // May 2, 2016 at 10:52 PM

Our Toon
    U really think Hazard only played well because he wanted Lecister to win the league…he only wants them to win so Spurs didn’t and he only cares where Spurs finish because he plays for Cheksea

• 163 lochinvar // May 2, 2016 at 10:52 PM

In the future will people be asked ” and where were you when Leicester won the title ” ?

• 164 Harley // May 2, 2016 at 11:01 PM

And most people will say “in the house watching on telly”.

previous post: Italian Club May Help To Solve A Newcastle Problem