Asprilla Defends Ashley And Blames Players – Why He’s Half Right

Before he left the club early last year Alan Pardew had Newcastle go on a six game winning streak – five games in the league and a 2-0 win at Manchester City in the League Cup – the first and only time we have ever won a game at the Etihad Stadium.

Yet with exactly the same players in the second half of the season, John Carver managed to lose eight Premier League games in a row for the first time in Newcastle’s history.

And then we brought in new players this season for a total of £82M and the team is worse than it’s ever been in the Premier League.

And yes – it’s the players fault inasmuch as some of them didn’t seem to care and give up too easily when the going got tough – notice the past tense.

faustino asprilla

Tino Asprilla – players fault – he’s half right

Speaking to Eurosport this is what Tino Asprilla said about owner Mike Ashley:

“I know him, I spoke to him and I met him.” “I always thought the problem is not the chairman or the owner. The problem, in my opinion, are always the players.”

“He is doing everything he can to help the team, but they should be playing with more effort.” “I don’t think Newcastle’s problem is the owner. I think there are players who love this team.”

“But I would like all the players play at a top level like I did.”  “They should love that shirt and make sacrifices for the importance of that team.

“There are players that are not showing these feelings. Newcastle should be fighting for the title, not in relegation zone.”

“I hope that next year they will find players who will fight.”

“Under Benitez we saw the team improve a bit,”  “In the last four matches, we drew two and we won two. We are almost safe.

“I think we can get this goal in the last match of the season and I’m happy for this.” “But, in my opinion, Newcastle need to be at the top level for their history and for the beauty of the City.”

“I really hope they can stay in the Premier League.”

John Carver would agree with Tino that it’s the players’ fault because John said that in his press conferences after many a defeat – it’s the player’s fault – plain and simple.

Nothing to do with John.

But we have also seen a  complete transformation in the last seven weeks since Rafa Benitez arrived at the club and now the players look more consistent and certainly more determined and are putting in some very good spirited performances and starting to get some good results.

Why is that?

After all, it’s the same players that Steve McClaren had – so the main cause of Newcastle’s poor form in the last 18 months has to be the head coach.

Since when was  a fired Championship manager good enough to come in and manage Newcastle in the Premier League?

And Lee Charnley – who appointed both John Carver and Steve McClaren after Pardew left, has to be held accountable and take the responsibility for two terrible appointments for Newcastle.

And Mike Ashley is ultimately responsible for putting Lee Charnley in the position of Managing Director at the club, when he is plainly not up to the job.

Mike also didn’t step in early enough as Charnley seemed willing to let McClaren stay in place as he took us down to the Championship.

Just think about it – if Rafa stays on and is put in charge of all transfers and given a free hand at Newcastle – and Mike Ashley continues to stay in the background  as he has done this season – Newcastle could become great again and Mike could even become a successful owner.

Wouldn’t that be something.

• Mister Tuff

May 3, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Jail – did you not say you were going to be out of the country for three weeks -working.
    Clearly work committments come before the match.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 3, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Repost from previous thread.

Stuart

I think we all are, it just needs a bad refs mistake or a careless challenge by one of our lads…………..!

Still let’s not think about that, I think think the footballing god owes us a few. She ought to be on our side for once.

Oh and by the way if it hasn’t been mentioned already, it’s a pity Rafa didn’t come to us a couple of months earlier.

• Jail for Ashley

May 3, 2016 at 4:34 PM

Job got cancelled today Mister Tuff but still doubt I’ll be home anyway, just making a point on how to get tickets these days if they’re not on public sale.

• Mister Tuff

May 3, 2016 at 4:47 PM

Jail – Earlier on in the season somebody was on about these concessionary tickets – so I managed to land on one of the emergency services web sites and indeed they were offering tickets -well discounted. Cannot remember exactly which site it was.
    Not sure if they do it all the time or if it only applies if the gate is expected to be low – or they get none if they think it is going to be a capacity crowd.

• hibbitt

May 3, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Jail for Ashley

i think i read at the weekend that we asked for more tickets and villa refused ?

• hibbitt

May 3, 2016 at 4:52 PM

my nephew often gets them from the students union

• Mister Tuff

May 3, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Was it not the case in the past that the home club would offer tickets not taken up by the home supporters to the visitting team. Or am I getting mixed up here.
    Villa clearly think the more Toon fans attending the bigger the rout. I supposed they are not bothered about gate money as clubs used to be.

• Mister Tuff

May 3, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Was it not the case after the debate about the TV appearances being dependent on visible bums on seats that a few on here reported club officials offering free entry to passers by – just after kick off.

• Bambams

May 3, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Mister Tuff & Jail

You can get tickets through emergency services websites/federations however you have to apply for the match following the next one.

So unless you applied for the Spuds match before the Crystal Palace match you won’t have a chance.

They are around £25-35 depending on which club it is and you were never guaranteed a ticket – it always depended on the club and how many they were willing to release.

That was definitely the case a couple of years ago….It may have changed

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 3, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Is it possible that our fans will outnumber theirs, be more like a home match for us. I’m sure we can outshout them either way.

• Bambams

May 3, 2016 at 4:59 PM

As for the Villa match….You just know where there is a will there is a way !

I bet there are thousands of Toon supporters who manage to get tickets for home and away ends

• hibbitt

May 3, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Essex Geordie Bill

they wont give us any more tickets so that would be hard unless the home fans don’t turn up which would be nice

• bettyswallocks

May 3, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Jail……. Get your priorities in order man. Fcuk the work there’s a football team needs supporting. Very hypocritical and disloyal behaviour.

• Mister Tuff

May 3, 2016 at 5:06 PM

See the Mag are reporting tickets on sale -ticket agency – for the Spurs game at £1300 each.

• hibbitt

May 3, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Bambams

villa are expecting trouble so they will be on there guard

• GloucesterGeordie

May 3, 2016 at 5:13 PM

I’ve got a ticket for the home end this Saturday at villa. From what I’ve read on other pages a fair few fans are looking to do the same. A villa fan I know sent me a link from the Birmingham Mail which had a piece saying the villa fans are planning a March before the game and a protest of some sort in stadium on the 74th minute #intheair74 or something they called it. My pal reckons it’ll either be a plane overhead or a release of balloons, hopefully this affects the villa players and we can kick on!

• welshgeordie9

May 3, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Betty

How the hell is that hypocritical and disloyal behaviour, if jails got to work or do anything else then hes got to do it.

• bettyswallocks

May 3, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Mister Tuff…… Please can you get me one?

• bettyswallocks

May 3, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Welsh….. It/ a shame stupidity isn’t painful.

• welshgeordie9

May 3, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Wow, I’ve just defended jail, no that can’t be right I must be dreaming no way that just happen.

Ha ha ha

• welshgeordie9

May 3, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Betty

Are you going to the game on Saturday.

• bettyswallocks

May 3, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Welsh…….. Were your parents siblings?

• bettyswallocks

May 3, 2016 at 5:19 PM

Welsh…… Not the Villa match but hopefully Tottenham if Mr. Tuff gets me a ticket.

• welshgeordie9

May 3, 2016 at 5:20 PM

So why aren’t you going to the villa match, that’s not being loyal.

• bettyswallocks

May 3, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Welsh…… If you’re going you can shout for both of us.

• bettyswallocks

May 3, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Welshie………. I just hope you’re sterile.

• Belfast

May 3, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Pitch invasion, match abandoned and the 3 points awarded to us.

I’ll settle for that.

• Mister Tuff

May 3, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Belfast – I’ve just been thinking about exactly that – a pitch invasion. That is an unknown scenario.
    Do not know if the PL rules will be similar to Football League rules – but if we are drawing or getting beat and there is a pitch invasion – and they cannot clear the pitch – the score at the time might stand.

• Mister Tuff

May 3, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Belfast – not sure about 3 points being awarded to the non offending team.
    Only one I can remember was a Blackpool invasion – last year – score was 0 – 0 and the pitch was invaded.
    The score stood.
    apparently nothing was going to be decided by the scoreline that day so the authorities did not order a replay and the score at the time of the invasion stood.
    Points – I see are the PL rules similar to FL rules – might not have been enough cops/stewards to clear the pitch at Blackpool. You would expect plenty of cops and stewards at a big city ground so plenty to clear the pitch.
    What happens if our players get attacked and injured – and are out of action for the Spurs game.
    answers on a post card if you know about how the PL would deal with this potential scenario.

• Mister Tuff

May 3, 2016 at 5:42 PM

betty – cannot get myself a ticket never mind anyone else.

• Bambams

May 3, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Hibbitt

I hope there is no trouble. Last thing we want.

I am absolutely bricking it for the Villa game. Hopefully one time, ‘this time’ we rise to the challenge.

Regardless the outcome Rafa has just got to be offered a brand new Ford Focus with a multi change CD by Ashley to keep him at our club !!!!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 3, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Best thing for us to do is press them early and get a quick breakthrough and then watch the Villa team fold

If we are 2 or 3 goals up by the 74th minute and a pitch invasion does happen then I imagine we would still get the points especially if we are a few goals ahead

• JamesToon

May 3, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Quite worried about what the villa fans are gonna do on Saturday. Would like to think we get the 3 points if they ruin the game with a pitch invasion or something.

The last thing we want is to go down by being f****d over by the FA for something that was the villa fans fault

• bettyswallocks

May 3, 2016 at 5:54 PM

I have to say , I’ll be relieved when it’s over. I can’t sleep at the best of times but this weeks going to be torturous. I said to the missus this morning, “Thanks for rolling over at 3am and telling me I should get some sleep. In my insomnia stupor that hadn’t crossed my mind.”

• Back Door Man

May 3, 2016 at 6:02 PM

It would be terrible if Jermine Defoe was found in a Soho brothel or a Newcastle gambling den by some Toon supporting local gangsters who set about him and left him hobbling with a damaged ankle.  It doesn’t bear thinking about … he could easily risk missing the those last few games.

• Back Door Man

May 3, 2016 at 6:04 PM

And another thing …

What’s all this “Hippo Head” stuff about the revolting Allardyse?  You’re all wrong … it should be Hippo Arse Head.  Those of you with even a morsel of natural history knowledge will see the clear resemblance between the revolting Allardyse shouting the odds and a hippo defecating in its wallow wafting the disgusting crap with its wagging tail.

Hippo Head (or Heed) – oot
    Hippo Arse Head (or Heed) – in

• Mister Tuff

May 3, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Currently the tactics seem to be first half containment, run the legs off the opposition, then after 60 mins or so bring on Mitro. With the hope of clinching it in the second half by Rafa adjusting the tactics.
    Worried a bit now if the Villa fans are planning an invasion on 74 minutes.
    They’ve done all the shouting/ placard waving – what else can they do to get some publicity.

• Jib

May 3, 2016 at 6:17 PM

This is their last home game of the season so they will want to make a show.

The FA could take a leaf out of the SFA book (Scotland has problems with pitch invasions) and issue a warning that any club that cannot control their fans gets a points deduction next season no matter which league they are in.

• Thump

May 3, 2016 at 6:19 PM

@Bambams: Doesn’t matter. As long as we commit to the game, that’s the important thing.