The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Unusual Comments From Gini Wijnaldum

11:11 pm, Tuesday, May 3rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 52 Comments

Georginio Wijnaldum was brought back into the first team for the important game against Crystal palace on Saturday and the Dutch International had a decent game, but at Aston Villa on Saturday we will be very surprised if Gini keeps his place.

That’s because he has a bad habit of not turning up for away games and on Saturday we need to have every single player giving 100% on the field at Villa Park.

We cannot have any passengers on Saturday.

georgino wijnaldum -newcastle-norwich_3365623

Gini Wijnaldum – we have to beat Aston Villa

Gini has talked about where Newcastle are right now:

“We have got ourselves back into a better situation.” “Every game is important to us. Every point we can take is crucial at this stage.”

“We have beaten Crystal Palace, and now we have to show the same mentality at Aston Villa.”

“When we win, it’s always good. It was not easy, because they brought on substitutes – they started playing more long balls – but we did it.”

“We had a spell this season where we had three good games and got seven points earlier in the season. After that, we lost to Everton and West Brom.”

“We have to focus game by game and at the end we will see where we finish. We can’t be too happy because it is about the end of the season.”

“The mood in the dressing room, however, has improved in recent weeks.” “We were happy, as always when you win.” “Now every game we fight to win games.”

“If we fight and win games, then it is satisfying.”

“Before we have fought until the end in games and we have been unlucky.” “Now, even if we are not always playing good, the team spirit is good and we are happier than normal.”

“We are not too happy, though. The most important thing is that we are happy at the end of the season, not now.”

“This feels nice, we work hard to win games, but we will see at the end of the season how happy we are.”

Those comments from Gini seem to be rather strange and unusual and it’s almost as if he wants to be upbeat but cannot allow himself to be that?

But on the other hand maybe he is simply reflecting Rafa’s comments to completely concentrate on the next game and forget what has happened before.

Gini is right that we won two games against Liverpool and Tottenham and drew with Aston Villa at home and then we lost four games in a  row 1-0.

But that was under Steve McClaren, who can hardly be accused of being a world-class coach.

With Rafa Benitez at the helm he will not let the team go off the boil in the last two games – that’s why Rafa’s been successful in his management career.

Gini’s also right that what we feel at the end of the season is the only important thing –  and it will be simply calamitous (a complete disaster) if we are relegated.

It’s very simple really – Newcastle need two wins and all that matters right now is that we beat Aston Villa On Saturday.

Howay the Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Georginio Wijnaldum · Prayer · Premier League · Press

52 responses so far ↓

• 1 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // May 3, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Non story.

• 2 Tsunki // May 3, 2016 at 11:15 PM

I was about to say the same thing. But the article wasn’t bad.

• 3 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // May 3, 2016 at 11:16 PM

What if I was ed? Seeing how everyone handled different situations and making sure the comments section is one worthy of my own threads? More truthful then the Rob Vollans crap.

• 4 bettyswallocks // May 3, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Ed is not an uphill gardener.

• 5 voodoo85 // May 3, 2016 at 11:27 PM

Non story for me too – basically saying we can’t be happy with recent matches/results as it will mean nothing if we go down. If we start to celebrate recent results – our mind wont be on the job we still have to do

• 6 bettyswallocks // May 3, 2016 at 11:31 PM

YMFB…… Do you smoke?

• 7 lesh // May 3, 2016 at 11:38 PM

Mr Tuff

Your person profile is mighty impressive but you overlooked to mention your modesty!

• 8 jimmysmith // May 3, 2016 at 11:39 PM

I expect him to play, and play reasonably well, under realistic and achievable tactical instruction from Benitez. I’m not sure he knew his role under McC, which was I think a little too laissez-faire for him to confidently go about it. The boy just needs a little structure, like the rest of them have.

• 9 AndyMac // May 3, 2016 at 11:45 PM

I think Gini has lost the will to play. He’s been happy and successful so far in his career in Holland but this season he’s struggled in a struggling team. A lot of young players haven’t experienced the bad times and I think this season has had its toll on him. I think he and NUFC need to move on

• 10 Mister Tuff // May 3, 2016 at 11:49 PM

lesh – not so – I had considered inserting further majestic qualities – but thought enough is enough – as is may cause fellow bloggers to become insecure and doubt themselves. Which of course was not my intention.

• 11 Essex Geordie Bill // May 3, 2016 at 11:59 PM

His comments worry me, when he says we had three good games and then lost the next two.

Hope he’s not psychic.

• 12 Essex Geordie Bill // May 4, 2016 at 12:10 AM

By the way, talking of soap characters, my missus calls me Benny from Crossroads although it’s mainly the way I wear my Benny hat, says it looks like an ice cream cornet. I really know how to wind her up and I love sleeping in the shed!

• 13 bettyswallocks // May 4, 2016 at 12:11 AM

Being a toon supporter is like being the over optimistic parents of the fat kid on Sportsday.

• 14 Essex Geordie Bill // May 4, 2016 at 12:11 AM

Why am I suddenly feeling insecure and doubting myself?

• 15 Essex Geordie Bill // May 4, 2016 at 12:13 AM

Betty, I’m not fat just big boned!

• 16 Essex Geordie Bill // May 4, 2016 at 12:14 AM

And ever so ronely.

• 17 bettyswallocks // May 4, 2016 at 12:36 AM

EGB……… You sound like a guy who takes an empty glass and a glass full of water to bed because sometimes you’re thirsty and sometimes you’re not.

• 18 Essex Geordie Bill // May 4, 2016 at 12:39 AM

Betty,

Thank God, I’m saved an analyst, please extrapolate.

• 19 bettyswallocks // May 4, 2016 at 12:49 AM

Self explanatory Bill. Last thought before I go not to sleep. The female black widow spider kills her mate immediately after mating. Reason being:- To stop the snoring before it starts.

I don’t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

• 20 Essex Geordie Bill // May 4, 2016 at 12:51 AM

Anyway it’s time for me to go to bed, now am I thirsty or not? Decisions, decisions, it really makes my brain hurt.

Shouldn’t have said, braaains, braaaains muuust flyyyy toooo Maaaaajorrrrca waaaant tooooo eaaaat Jiiiiibs braaaaaains.

• 21 Essex Geordie Bill // May 4, 2016 at 12:53 AM

Goodnight Betty a pleasure to be analysed by you.

• 22 Mister Tuff // May 4, 2016 at 12:57 AM

EBG – eating Jibs brains???????? ah you mean a quick snack.

• 23 Magpie Season // May 4, 2016 at 1:02 AM

WHAT? Our beloved manager is wanted by Everton:

• 24 Veltmann // May 4, 2016 at 7:06 AM

It’s been long while since we won an away match.A bit concerning.Despite we gona play agt already relegated villa, it’s not gonna be easy.
    I still believe we’ll survive because results are going our way for once.But if we do relegated though, only ourselves to blame for that for not turning up and blowing it against Mackems, Norwich,Bournmouth, stoke etc etc,
    despite couple of an awful decisions by referees
    like the Aguero clear offside goal.Such a shame to find ourselves in this mess, after seeing Leicester doing the unthinkable.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // May 4, 2016 at 7:10 AM

So summing up yesterdays musings, young magpie from Burnley is a thirty year old teenager from Ireland among other places who has life threatening diseases and has gone for the shock factor gay admission while saying his website is better.

• 26 Jib // May 4, 2016 at 7:25 AM

Not a comment for 6 hours while the UK sleeps.

I think the expats have given up on this blog as a waste of space – The last 3 threads by Ed hardly acknowledged , just non footy related sniping and ill-tempered infighting.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ed decided to call it a day and chuck it in !

• 27 shaun83 // May 4, 2016 at 7:34 AM

Jib – I’m in oz and whilst I still read atm I have to say in all the time reading the blog, which is probably since it started, I have never read such dross in the comments section. Completely irrelevant to football and frankly some very sad or very lonely lives getting all into other posters. Who gives a ?

• 28 Jail for Ashley // May 4, 2016 at 7:46 AM

Jib,
    It is a shame, it all seemed to start when Jeff from Benwell started to post with the sole intention of targeting posters he didn’t like.

• 29 sing in the corner // May 4, 2016 at 7:47 AM

Who will handle the mounting pressure this next week? That’s what it’s gonna come down to now, it’s so tight. Sunderland must be getting that sinking feeling with their stagnating points total, while we are on the up.
    Something I just caught the end of on Look North last night suggested makems have made a big loss this year..?
    One slip, one mistake here or there will tip the balance one way or the other.
    Howay the lads!!

• 30 Magpie Season // May 4, 2016 at 8:03 AM

Jib,

I’m in Sydney mate. I posted about Rafa to Everton one. But yeah while it’s lights out in UK, it is so on here too.

• 31 Veltmann // May 4, 2016 at 8:16 AM

I’m in quo to post..

• 32 Ibizatoon // May 4, 2016 at 8:30 AM

In my time on the blog, I never really noticed much of a continuation of discussion from the European night posters and the middle of the night / early hours ones, so not really sure why, with the blog being quiet and free of “non footy related sniping and ill-tempered infighting.” (As they’re supposedly sleeping), those fans wouldn’t post.

There have been two big factors in the decline of the comments section on here. One is the clear decline of the club. There used to be healthy debate on the issues, for too long, much of it became a forgone conclusion. The second is the in house fighting. Each and everyone of us has their thoughts on who is responsible for that.

All I know is I’ve been an optimist, I’ve sat on the fence and I’ve been for boycotts, during which I’ve been able to have civil discussions with all types of groups, all the way through, but there are a certain few, who I might add are newish names to the blog in the bigger scheme of things, which are usually in the middle of it all.

Anyway, on thread…Ginis comments do read somewhat unusual. It does seem he’s just trying to fit in Rafa’s soundbites though and reminding himself of what he’s supposed to be saying. Wouldn’t read too much in to it.

As for getting rid of him for next season. I wouldn’t be in such a rush. Yes, he hasn’t been good this second part of the season, but for the main part, we were over reliant on him. Thank someone or other that he did come up with the goods he did, as no one else was.

With the job at hand this summer, presuming we stay up, Gini is nowhere near the top of the list of players who needs replacing.

• 33 NoahJ // May 4, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Aarons once again been linked with a move away today. bright, young english player who has always looked impressive when played in his actual position, and whose contract runs out at the end of the year- why are we not playing him? (especially when other left wingers have come up short this year- thauvin, perez, wijnaldum)

• 34 Ibizatoon // May 4, 2016 at 8:38 AM

I also think, that currently, fans are in the main part trying to adopt the one game at a time mantra and to keep two feet on the ground.

Not many are second guessing Rafa.

No one is really able to start meaningfully guess the summer plan.

There is little to celebrate about the season to date.

Doesn’t leave loads left to discuss, other than the “We can do it” posts, which are of course good, but can only be said so much in between games.

Saying that, we can do it.

• 35 Ibizatoon // May 4, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Noah…Wasn’t he injured for a while? Perhaps he’s not at the level he was prior.

Nor is this the time to be giving someone game time, to improve fitness and such.

It would be a shame to see him move on though. Clearly he has potential.

• 36 Jib // May 4, 2016 at 8:42 AM

Ibiza
    Gini – wunderkind from Rotterdam
    Youngest ever starter for Feyenoord
    Captain and player of the year at PSV
    Coming to play for Holland’s version of Claudio Ranieri at NUFC (Twente had never won a Eriedivisie before McClaren) .

Boy did it ever go tits up!

Played out of position.
    The coach was a flop
    Probably never had to handle any real pressure before.
    No wonder he’s struggled.

Never mind he couldn’t be in better hands now.
    Next season could be the making of him .

• 37 Veltmann // May 4, 2016 at 8:44 AM

I just added something to my blog name and I’m in moderation for 2hrs.Wthl Ed?
    That’s just irritating..

• 38 Jib // May 4, 2016 at 8:45 AM

I’ll bet if we still have Rafa in August – Jetro Willems won’t hesitate to join us.

• 39 Jail for Ashley // May 4, 2016 at 8:47 AM

There used to be a range of discussion, especially when people thought Ashley was trying to build something special and being a self made billionaire wanted to be successful, when it became apparent that he wasn’t a lot of those who supported him disappeared.

• 40 hibbitt // May 4, 2016 at 8:52 AM

Jib

but would Rafa want him ?

• 41 Jib // May 4, 2016 at 8:53 AM

Veltmann
    That’s just irritating..

So is Thrush 😀

• 42 Jib // May 4, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Hibbitt
    I still think Paul Dummett is best as a CB

• 43 hibbitt // May 4, 2016 at 8:57 AM

if the blog folds there will be a few on here who will think ” mission accomplished “

• 44 Ibizatoon // May 4, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Jib…Precisely. Of all the players we’ve stuck with over the years, surely with his pedigree and the manager we currently have, he’s worth giving another season too.

He had been the difference up until Rafa arrived.

As for Jetro, that’s not taking one game at a time.

• 45 hibbitt // May 4, 2016 at 9:00 AM

OK JIB you have a nice day talking to yourself

• 46 Jib // May 4, 2016 at 9:01 AM

I think for crucial games next season when we are away to the big boys (Leicester and Burnley sic )
    Rafa may go for 5 across the back.

Anita M’bemba Lascelles Dummett Willems (Mbabu utility fill in )
    With Colback or Tiote sitting in front of that 5
    and a mobile front 4

we’d scare the living bejaysuz out of most sides.

• 47 Veltmann // May 4, 2016 at 9:06 AM

Jail – I used to like Jeff from Benwell.I had good relations with him because I liked the way he rightly detect and slam those who talk utter crap. Such a pity things won’t stay z same all the time.
    I missed the fights on this blog though 😀

• 48 Ibizatoon // May 4, 2016 at 9:09 AM

Veltman…Is this a bit like Colo still being our best CB?

I didn’t have good relations with Jeff. He was somewhat of a vile person.

• 49 hibbitt // May 4, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Veltmen
    jib is jeff from benwell

• 50 Jib // May 4, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Sez who like ?

• 51 stuart no9 // May 4, 2016 at 9:19 AM

not to be too nasty but im sick to death of watching the news at the minute on what leicester have acheived. dont get me wrong i was willing them to win it and its changed the whole criteria in the prem on what is needed to win the title, and iys great for football, but what gets me is the importance of getting the right people in to run your club . jealous ? of course i am , everyone on this blog has said for years that ashley had this horrible habit of getting people in who knew diddley squat about football instead of football minded people who could maybe bring some success to this club,
    Now leicester are on the map , having reached out to all corners of the world why did ashley not believe that winning the league would have a world wide effect on NUFC and SD . ? I really dont understand the man .

• 52 Jib // May 4, 2016 at 9:21 AM

Veltmann
    The logic went thus:-

About 6 weeks after Jeff from Benwell left this blog I started posting.

Some bright spark said “Oh it’s Jeff in Benwell – J.I.B. – forgetting that poster was “from” Benwell not “in” – they even accuse me and Jane and Jeff of being the same guy cos we begin with “J”.
    It’s just as well Jesus doesn’t post on here
    😀