Lazio Are Another Club Interested In Newcastle Winger

There are reports coming out of Italy that Lazio are interested in signing Newcastle winger Florian Thauvin, and it seems a number of clubs are interested in the 23 year-old, who hardly did well for Newcastle in the Premier League in the first half of the season.

Only a couple of days ago there were reports in Football Italia that Inter-Milan were interested in signing the French U21 International this summer.

Florian+Thauvin+Newcastle+United+v+Aston+Villa+LWaAXnktkvtl

Florian Thauvin in action against Aston Villa

This latest report is in Corriere dello Sport and Thauvin is said to be one of the flair players Lazio are considering signing in the summer.

Whether Thauvin is sold or not depends on whether Newcastle are still in the Premier League and if we are not  then Thauvin will be sold or else sent out on loan so at least another club pays his wages for next season.

The report suggests Lazio are thinking they may be able to get a good deal on Florian if we are relegated.

But Newcastle paid (overpaid) a massive £13M for this guy and we don’t want to lose too much money on him, in what has turned out to be another poor buy by Chief Scout Graham Carr.

If Newcastle stay up, there is no way Florian will be sold until Rafa Benitez can take a look at him in pre-season training.

And we would expect the 56 year-old to be able to get the best out of the 23 year-old, if he decides to keep him at the club.

But all of this is dependent on a couple of important things – whether Newcastle can survive in the Premier League and if Rafa Benitez will continue on as the Newcastle manager next season.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Aston Villa?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• SPRINGY

May 4, 2016 at 12:58 PM

would be interesting to see if rafa rates the lad after he’s had a look at him

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2016 at 1:00 PM

If we can get a decent price for him, surely it’s in everybody’s interest to sell him? He clearly wasn’t happy here, nor was he up for the fight. Maybe he might be different under Rafa, but if not, if he fails again, his price will plummet. Maybe the best answer is to just sell and move on?

• stuart no9

May 4, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Bobby —- i am a member – always have been, i never gave that up . The match is a total sell out , not a ticket to be had at all , nevermind eh .

• WWSBRD

May 4, 2016 at 1:03 PM

If Rafa turns Thauvin into a player does Carrs stock increase again? What if he and Cabella come back and Rafa gets them both firing, will Carr be seen as the best in the land again?

Gini classed as a success or failure? Mbabu? Darlow and Lacselles? Or do we just judge Carr on foreign buys? Heck Anita was a huge failure but after a few good performances at RB is he a success now?

I tells ya its hard to keep up with how good/bad our scouting is

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Stuart, sorry to hear that. That’s strange, because the blog oracle informed us the other day that there were no members and it couldn’t therefore sell out. Or maybe he was wrong again? 😉

• stuart no9

May 4, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Bobby —i think what happened was the members bought all the tickets before they were due to go on general sale yesterday . when i rang yesterday morning the chap said tere were no tickets on general sale coz the match was a sell out . i assumesd he meant members and STH had bought them prior to going on general public sale

• martoon

May 4, 2016 at 1:10 PM

I’ve just looked on the official website and the Spurs tickets are sold out. Last time I looked they were restricted to members with a purchase history – let’s hope we’ve something to play for by then!

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2016 at 1:12 PM

WWSBRD. The problem right now is the we paid a lot of money for Thauvin and it’s looking like wasted money. At the moment his stock has risen and we might, or might not, be able to recoup some or all of that money. If he comes back and fails again, his stock will slump and we’ll be lucky to get a free transfer on the guy. Sell him now, whilst people rate him, or gamble on him failing again? Tough decision, because i feel there may be a footballer in there somewhere.

• BandB

May 4, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Yo

Wijnaldum won’t be the first overseas player to have had a difficult first season.
    But he’s scored goals and been very far from a disaster, in my view.
    I like him and would back him to be better next year.

• SPRINGY

May 4, 2016 at 1:14 PM

WWSBRD
    i think it might have been a lot easier to judge whether a player ..
    1)had the quality to play in the premier league
    2)mentally strong enough to play in the premier league
    if the team was mid table,safe or even challenge europe positions,but coming into a struggling side,lacking confidence,poor pre-season and doubts whether the coach the club had recently installed was even good enough…made it so hard to get a read on the new players,and when results are poor the new players are highlighted.

• SPRINGY

May 4, 2016 at 1:18 PM

regarding thauvin
    if rafa does’nt believe he can make it,we can just loan him back to a ligue 1 side,and if his stock has risen in the few months he’s been away from us, it would again.. no doubt.

• WWSBRD

May 4, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Bobby
    Not sure I entirely care if we lose money on his transfer fee tbh Id keep him I think him and Cabella would benefit no end by us having an actual manager who has tactics and understands a squad

BandB
    Oh dont get me wrong Id keep him next season and expect him to be better (struggle to be that much worse though imo) not been a disaster but very disappointing and disappears a lot. I was just curious how Carr is being judged these days tbh

• Lindisfarne

May 4, 2016 at 1:19 PM

I don’t think any player will be held onto if a really good offer is made, it has always been the case and I don’t have a problem with that. The problem that has occurred in the past is when players are sold to cheaply, or in the case of young players no sell on fee and also when there gas been no player brought into as replacement. In addition, The consequence of a poor transfer administration has been the majority of the squad are dead weight.

• Tsunki

May 4, 2016 at 1:20 PM

I THINK WE SHOULD USE CAPS LOCK TO GET OUT POINT ACROSS MORE FORCEFULLY. IT WORKS BECAUSE YOU ARE READING THIS AND YOU ARE SCARED! ADMIT IT!

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Stuart, must be the case then mate. I can see why they chose this method, as spurs fans were offering silly money for tickets and it could have resulted in trouble if they were mixed in with our fans. If those who’ve bought up all remaining tickets have done so in the hope of making a quick buck, you’ve got to laugh at them. Spurs now out of the running, i can’t see many bothering to pay big money for just another game. It now means far more to us then them, should results go our way. I’d keep checking though marra, because shit happens and some might return tickets before the game – such as those hoping to make a quick buck. 🙂 In matches like this, the club might refund on tickets, knowing they can still sell them. Worth keeping an eye open though.

• LGFUAD21

May 4, 2016 at 1:22 PM

I’d be interested in seeing if Rafa could do anything with either of these lads.

We’ve seen him have a huge impact on Towsend and Moussa but most of the improvement has come from overall team organisation ironically allowing us to form better attacks rather than running around in panic mode.

I’d say the jury is still out on Gini. No doubt a fantastic player but much like Cabella seems to be struggling witht he pace. Can’t judge on 1 season though (look at Mahrez and Vardy once they got to grips with the pace of the league).

Thauvin is the more interesting prospect to me as I feel we really do need more wingers to go along with Townsend.

Cabella’s talent excites me more but where does he play with Gini, De Jong, Perez and even Moussa to an extent.

Either way its all ifs and buts. Requires us staying up, Benitez staying.

• SPRINGY

May 4, 2016 at 1:23 PM

there’s a chance gini maybe surplus to requirements next year, and then maybe sold…due to the fact he would be worth the most money and this season he’s been sort of shoe horned into an uncomfortable left side position mostly this season.

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Tsunki, absolutely crapping myself. 😉

• Ibizatoon

May 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM

I anticipate Munster will be on soon talking of de facto directors of football.

Yo…I’ve made a similar point recently. Given the improvements we’ve seen under Rafa, I don’t know how we write off anyone who has been shipped out on loan due to them struggling under the previous coach / coaches.

However, using our business heads, if we can get our money back and invest it in players Rafa wants, then I wouldn’t grumble.

I am keen to have a day when we can judge our scout on just that, scouting. Whose job it is to recommend players, not supposedly set the agenda, as is claimed.

Well, it’s been, whatever it’s been. I’ll catch you all later, no doubt.

• Lindisfarne

May 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Oh and any intelligent manager would not bring back players that have previously failed to adjust to the PL. The opposite argument maybe to point out how well the spindly Mahrez has played, but he has an ability to ride tackles which the French players are not able to deal with.

• NoahJ

May 4, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Never really felt we gave either Cabella or Thauvin a proper chance. Particularly Thauvin- a few minutes at the end of 5 or 6 games? there have been players playing every week who have been at least as poor as he was

• Tsunki

May 4, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Hi, Tsunki here. I live in Papua New Guinea and I believe that the big problem is the matchgoing Fans. I can’t make out what’s going on when I’m watching my crappy flash stream because of the cheering and singing. I’m sure if it distracts me it must be hell for the players. When Sissoko passes the ball to Cisse poor old Papiss can’t hear him say “Papiss! I’m going to lamp this one thirty yards into the corner, get running” and that’s why it looks like he’s made a terrible wayward punt upfield. Match day fans be quiet! Better still, stay away and we might win!

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Think we should let Rafa have the final say. He doesn’t suffer fools gladly either and will see how they fare in pre season, providing he’s still here of course. I think there’s footballers inside both players, but whether they can stand the rigours of the PL is another question.

• WWSBRD

May 4, 2016 at 1:28 PM

SPRINGY
    Ture but if we cant judge the player to their ability due to the club can we judge the scout who suggested them?

Ibiza
    I agree mate. Using our business heads ur probably right we should get shot of both if it brings in funds for Rafa to buy…though I dont see why we need to sell to buy anymore considering the obscene amount of money coming in if we stay up

Lets all look forward to that day eh, or the one that we stop looking at the puppets and focus on the hands controlling them

• WWSBRD

May 4, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Lindis
    French lads cant ride a tackle? Or just Cabella and Thauvin?

• Tsunki

May 4, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Ibiza they can be delivered facto, as long as they are not rotating, spinning or circling anything.

• Tsunki

May 4, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Delivered facto? Is that something FedEx does? 🙂

• bettyswallocks

May 4, 2016 at 1:32 PM

My take on the discussion about fans attending games or not is that every individual has the right to choose. When things were at their worst and many fans decided they needed to make their voices heard, to suggest a fans boycott should have remained just that : A suggestion.

I could suggest that all those who have never attended a live match at SJP or an away match should really give it a try. It’s well worth making the effort and the first experience will be one that stays in the memory bank forever. I personally love the away games. The camaraderie with fellow fans, the non stop singing and the whole day out experience beats any other experience for me. I used to love the European games. Milan was one I’ll never forget. 10, 000 Geordies singing in the main square all afternoon, unforgettable.

Back to the boycotts. When it becomes too much is when someone like Ruddy comes on like a pumped up aggressive trade unionist to rally the troops against Ashley and to try and shame others into being one of his disciples.
    Making suggestions is fine, making people feel guilty for not complying isn’t.

• Tsunki

May 4, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Well said Betty. Who did that for you btw it’s quite good?

🙂

• Tsunki

May 4, 2016 at 1:34 PM

If you want something delivered truly facto beyond all recognition I’d go with Yodel.

• Lindisfarne

May 4, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Tsunki

And those moving advertisements running along the side of the pitch must be off putting. They are designed to draw peoples attention on purpose, otherwise why have them. How can we expect vulnerable players with money to burn to not be distracted?

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2016 at 1:39 PM

hear hear betty. 😉

• Lindisfarne

May 4, 2016 at 1:40 PM

WWSRB

Particularly Cabella and Thaurvin, but also generally although there are many exceptions. Whenever I see any League 1 football I am struck by the lack of defensive organisation and particularly tackling. I eagerly await you proving me wrong.

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2016 at 1:43 PM

There’s a lot of talk about adverts, yet i go to every home game and couldn’t tell you what is advertised and what isn’t. Then, i don’t go to see advertising, i go for the football. Can anybody recall who advertises what there? Apart from the obvious SD obviously. Would be interesting to see if anybody notices the adverts, or if they’re just paying for nowt! 😉

• job

May 4, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Vollans
    ????

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Odious SD obviously! Too many obviouses thete! 😉

• magscar

May 4, 2016 at 1:47 PM

I like the one for Brough Park but those dogs are distracting. I think Cisse gets caught watching them 🙂

• LGFUAD21

May 4, 2016 at 1:47 PM

My take on it is.

Both were caught like deers in headlights.

I really dont think Thauvin can be judged. My main concerns about him are all from before he signed for us. Seems like a dodgy deal for Carr’s benefit to me.

Cabella was never a winger.

I dont think it’d be crazy to bring either back for a second stint. BUT we cannot rely on them.

I said in the summer that Gini was a good signing but not a necessary one on paper.

1 thing is certain. WE NEED TO REPLACE TIOTE.

His influence and impact has been there for all to see. It would be idiotic to not replace such a key player.

Look at the league and the decent teams always have a decent player in that role or something to the same effect.

Dier at Spurs
    Kante at Leicester

We cannot afford to continue to neglect our defensive players because we all want flying wingers and and attacking players. You cannot apply Keegan’s methods in the modern game.

• Bobbybee

May 4, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Mags. 😉

• WWSBRD

May 4, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Lindis
    Haha I wasnt going to try and prove u wrong mate. I think players can learn how to deal with the strength and harshness of the league if given a chance though, for instance Cabella was terrible for falling over when he first joined us but by the end of the season, imo, he was a lot tougher and stood better to hard tackles