The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Lazio Are Another Club Interested In Newcastle Winger

12:51 pm, Wednesday, May 4th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 135 Comments

There are reports coming out of Italy that Lazio are interested in signing Newcastle winger Florian Thauvin, and it seems a number of clubs are interested in the 23 year-old, who hardly did well for Newcastle in the Premier League in the first half of the season.

Only a couple of days ago there were reports in Football Italia that Inter-Milan were interested in signing the French U21 International this summer.

Florian+Thauvin+Newcastle+United+v+Aston+Villa+LWaAXnktkvtl

Florian Thauvin in action against Aston Villa

This latest report is in Corriere dello Sport and Thauvin is said to be one of the flair players Lazio are considering signing in the summer.

Whether Thauvin is sold or not depends on whether Newcastle are still in the Premier League and if we are not  then Thauvin will be sold or else sent out on loan so at least another club pays his wages for next season.

The report suggests Lazio are thinking they may be able to get a good deal on Florian if we are relegated.

But Newcastle paid (overpaid) a massive £13M for this guy and we don’t want to lose too much money on him, in what has turned out to be another poor buy by Chief Scout Graham Carr.

If Newcastle stay up, there is no way Florian will be sold until Rafa Benitez can take a look at him in pre-season training.

And we would expect the 56 year-old to be able to get the best out of the 23 year-old, if he decides to keep him at the club.

But all of this is dependent on a couple of important things – whether Newcastle can survive in the Premier League and if Rafa Benitez will continue on as the Newcastle manager next season.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Aston Villa?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League · Press · Transfer News and Rumours

135 responses so far ↓

• 1 SPRINGY // May 4, 2016 at 12:58 PM

would be interesting to see if rafa rates the lad after he’s had a look at him

• 2 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 1:00 PM

If we can get a decent price for him, surely it’s in everybody’s interest to sell him? He clearly wasn’t happy here, nor was he up for the fight. Maybe he might be different under Rafa, but if not, if he fails again, his price will plummet. Maybe the best answer is to just sell and move on?

• 3 stuart no9 // May 4, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Bobby —- i am a member – always have been, i never gave that up . The match is a total sell out , not a ticket to be had at all , nevermind eh .

• 4 WWSBRD // May 4, 2016 at 1:03 PM

If Rafa turns Thauvin into a player does Carrs stock increase again? What if he and Cabella come back and Rafa gets them both firing, will Carr be seen as the best in the land again?

Gini classed as a success or failure? Mbabu? Darlow and Lacselles? Or do we just judge Carr on foreign buys? Heck Anita was a huge failure but after a few good performances at RB is he a success now?

I tells ya its hard to keep up with how good/bad our scouting is

• 5 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Stuart, sorry to hear that. That’s strange, because the blog oracle informed us the other day that there were no members and it couldn’t therefore sell out. Or maybe he was wrong again? 😉

• 6 stuart no9 // May 4, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Bobby —i think what happened was the members bought all the tickets before they were due to go on general sale yesterday . when i rang yesterday morning the chap said tere were no tickets on general sale coz the match was a sell out . i assumesd he meant members and STH had bought them prior to going on general public sale

• 7 martoon // May 4, 2016 at 1:10 PM

I’ve just looked on the official website and the Spurs tickets are sold out. Last time I looked they were restricted to members with a purchase history – let’s hope we’ve something to play for by then!

• 8 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 1:12 PM

WWSBRD. The problem right now is the we paid a lot of money for Thauvin and it’s looking like wasted money. At the moment his stock has risen and we might, or might not, be able to recoup some or all of that money. If he comes back and fails again, his stock will slump and we’ll be lucky to get a free transfer on the guy. Sell him now, whilst people rate him, or gamble on him failing again? Tough decision, because i feel there may be a footballer in there somewhere.

• 9 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Yo

Wijnaldum won’t be the first overseas player to have had a difficult first season.
    But he’s scored goals and been very far from a disaster, in my view.
    I like him and would back him to be better next year.

• 10 SPRINGY // May 4, 2016 at 1:14 PM

WWSBRD
    i think it might have been a lot easier to judge whether a player ..
    1)had the quality to play in the premier league
    2)mentally strong enough to play in the premier league
    if the team was mid table,safe or even challenge europe positions,but coming into a struggling side,lacking confidence,poor pre-season and doubts whether the coach the club had recently installed was even good enough…made it so hard to get a read on the new players,and when results are poor the new players are highlighted.

• 11 SPRINGY // May 4, 2016 at 1:18 PM

regarding thauvin
    if rafa does’nt believe he can make it,we can just loan him back to a ligue 1 side,and if his stock has risen in the few months he’s been away from us, it would again.. no doubt.

• 12 WWSBRD // May 4, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Bobby
    Not sure I entirely care if we lose money on his transfer fee tbh Id keep him I think him and Cabella would benefit no end by us having an actual manager who has tactics and understands a squad

BandB
    Oh dont get me wrong Id keep him next season and expect him to be better (struggle to be that much worse though imo) not been a disaster but very disappointing and disappears a lot. I was just curious how Carr is being judged these days tbh

• 13 Lindisfarne // May 4, 2016 at 1:19 PM

I don’t think any player will be held onto if a really good offer is made, it has always been the case and I don’t have a problem with that. The problem that has occurred in the past is when players are sold to cheaply, or in the case of young players no sell on fee and also when there gas been no player brought into as replacement. In addition, The consequence of a poor transfer administration has been the majority of the squad are dead weight.

• 14 Tsunki // May 4, 2016 at 1:20 PM

I THINK WE SHOULD USE CAPS LOCK TO GET OUT POINT ACROSS MORE FORCEFULLY. IT WORKS BECAUSE YOU ARE READING THIS AND YOU ARE SCARED! ADMIT IT!

• 15 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Stuart, must be the case then mate. I can see why they chose this method, as spurs fans were offering silly money for tickets and it could have resulted in trouble if they were mixed in with our fans. If those who’ve bought up all remaining tickets have done so in the hope of making a quick buck, you’ve got to laugh at them. Spurs now out of the running, i can’t see many bothering to pay big money for just another game. It now means far more to us then them, should results go our way. I’d keep checking though marra, because shit happens and some might return tickets before the game – such as those hoping to make a quick buck. 🙂 In matches like this, the club might refund on tickets, knowing they can still sell them. Worth keeping an eye open though.

• 16 LGFUAD21 // May 4, 2016 at 1:22 PM

I’d be interested in seeing if Rafa could do anything with either of these lads.

We’ve seen him have a huge impact on Towsend and Moussa but most of the improvement has come from overall team organisation ironically allowing us to form better attacks rather than running around in panic mode.

I’d say the jury is still out on Gini. No doubt a fantastic player but much like Cabella seems to be struggling witht he pace. Can’t judge on 1 season though (look at Mahrez and Vardy once they got to grips with the pace of the league).

Thauvin is the more interesting prospect to me as I feel we really do need more wingers to go along with Townsend.

Cabella’s talent excites me more but where does he play with Gini, De Jong, Perez and even Moussa to an extent.

Either way its all ifs and buts. Requires us staying up, Benitez staying.

• 17 SPRINGY // May 4, 2016 at 1:23 PM

there’s a chance gini maybe surplus to requirements next year, and then maybe sold…due to the fact he would be worth the most money and this season he’s been sort of shoe horned into an uncomfortable left side position mostly this season.

• 18 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Tsunki, absolutely crapping myself. 😉

• 19 Ibizatoon // May 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM

I anticipate Munster will be on soon talking of de facto directors of football.

Yo…I’ve made a similar point recently. Given the improvements we’ve seen under Rafa, I don’t know how we write off anyone who has been shipped out on loan due to them struggling under the previous coach / coaches.

However, using our business heads, if we can get our money back and invest it in players Rafa wants, then I wouldn’t grumble.

I am keen to have a day when we can judge our scout on just that, scouting. Whose job it is to recommend players, not supposedly set the agenda, as is claimed.

Well, it’s been, whatever it’s been. I’ll catch you all later, no doubt.

• 20 Lindisfarne // May 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Oh and any intelligent manager would not bring back players that have previously failed to adjust to the PL. The opposite argument maybe to point out how well the spindly Mahrez has played, but he has an ability to ride tackles which the French players are not able to deal with.

• 21 NoahJ // May 4, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Never really felt we gave either Cabella or Thauvin a proper chance. Particularly Thauvin- a few minutes at the end of 5 or 6 games? there have been players playing every week who have been at least as poor as he was

• 22 Tsunki // May 4, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Hi, Tsunki here. I live in Papua New Guinea and I believe that the big problem is the matchgoing Fans. I can’t make out what’s going on when I’m watching my crappy flash stream because of the cheering and singing. I’m sure if it distracts me it must be hell for the players. When Sissoko passes the ball to Cisse poor old Papiss can’t hear him say “Papiss! I’m going to lamp this one thirty yards into the corner, get running” and that’s why it looks like he’s made a terrible wayward punt upfield. Match day fans be quiet! Better still, stay away and we might win!

• 23 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Think we should let Rafa have the final say. He doesn’t suffer fools gladly either and will see how they fare in pre season, providing he’s still here of course. I think there’s footballers inside both players, but whether they can stand the rigours of the PL is another question.

• 24 WWSBRD // May 4, 2016 at 1:28 PM

SPRINGY
    Ture but if we cant judge the player to their ability due to the club can we judge the scout who suggested them?

Ibiza
    I agree mate. Using our business heads ur probably right we should get shot of both if it brings in funds for Rafa to buy…though I dont see why we need to sell to buy anymore considering the obscene amount of money coming in if we stay up

Lets all look forward to that day eh, or the one that we stop looking at the puppets and focus on the hands controlling them

• 25 WWSBRD // May 4, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Lindis
    French lads cant ride a tackle? Or just Cabella and Thauvin?

• 26 Tsunki // May 4, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Ibiza they can be delivered facto, as long as they are not rotating, spinning or circling anything.

• 27 Tsunki // May 4, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Delivered facto? Is that something FedEx does? 🙂

• 28 bettyswallocks // May 4, 2016 at 1:32 PM

My take on the discussion about fans attending games or not is that every individual has the right to choose. When things were at their worst and many fans decided they needed to make their voices heard, to suggest a fans boycott should have remained just that : A suggestion.

I could suggest that all those who have never attended a live match at SJP or an away match should really give it a try. It’s well worth making the effort and the first experience will be one that stays in the memory bank forever. I personally love the away games. The camaraderie with fellow fans, the non stop singing and the whole day out experience beats any other experience for me. I used to love the European games. Milan was one I’ll never forget. 10, 000 Geordies singing in the main square all afternoon, unforgettable.

Back to the boycotts. When it becomes too much is when someone like Ruddy comes on like a pumped up aggressive trade unionist to rally the troops against Ashley and to try and shame others into being one of his disciples.
    Making suggestions is fine, making people feel guilty for not complying isn’t.

• 29 Tsunki // May 4, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Well said Betty. Who did that for you btw it’s quite good?

🙂

• 30 Tsunki // May 4, 2016 at 1:34 PM

If you want something delivered truly facto beyond all recognition I’d go with Yodel.

• 31 Lindisfarne // May 4, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Tsunki

And those moving advertisements running along the side of the pitch must be off putting. They are designed to draw peoples attention on purpose, otherwise why have them. How can we expect vulnerable players with money to burn to not be distracted?

• 32 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 1:39 PM

hear hear betty. 😉

• 33 Lindisfarne // May 4, 2016 at 1:40 PM

WWSRB

Particularly Cabella and Thaurvin, but also generally although there are many exceptions. Whenever I see any League 1 football I am struck by the lack of defensive organisation and particularly tackling. I eagerly await you proving me wrong.

• 34 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 1:43 PM

There’s a lot of talk about adverts, yet i go to every home game and couldn’t tell you what is advertised and what isn’t. Then, i don’t go to see advertising, i go for the football. Can anybody recall who advertises what there? Apart from the obvious SD obviously. Would be interesting to see if anybody notices the adverts, or if they’re just paying for nowt! 😉

• 35 job // May 4, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Vollans
    ????

• 36 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Odious SD obviously! Too many obviouses thete! 😉

• 37 magscar // May 4, 2016 at 1:47 PM

I like the one for Brough Park but those dogs are distracting. I think Cisse gets caught watching them 🙂

• 38 LGFUAD21 // May 4, 2016 at 1:47 PM

My take on it is.

Both were caught like deers in headlights.

I really dont think Thauvin can be judged. My main concerns about him are all from before he signed for us. Seems like a dodgy deal for Carr’s benefit to me.

Cabella was never a winger.

I dont think it’d be crazy to bring either back for a second stint. BUT we cannot rely on them.

I said in the summer that Gini was a good signing but not a necessary one on paper.

1 thing is certain. WE NEED TO REPLACE TIOTE.

His influence and impact has been there for all to see. It would be idiotic to not replace such a key player.

Look at the league and the decent teams always have a decent player in that role or something to the same effect.

Dier at Spurs
    Kante at Leicester

We cannot afford to continue to neglect our defensive players because we all want flying wingers and and attacking players. You cannot apply Keegan’s methods in the modern game.

• 39 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Mags. 😉

• 40 WWSBRD // May 4, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Lindis
    Haha I wasnt going to try and prove u wrong mate. I think players can learn how to deal with the strength and harshness of the league if given a chance though, for instance Cabella was terrible for falling over when he first joined us but by the end of the season, imo, he was a lot tougher and stood better to hard tackles

• 41 Jib // May 4, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Good god this Florian Thauvin chappy is getting very popular .
    Valencia and Spurs are after him now !

• 42 magscar // May 4, 2016 at 1:52 PM

job

If you are a long time reader or only the last few days you must get the connection. Any new poster ( or even one everyone has forgotten about if not posted in a while) is going to be treated suspiciously.

Not sure how you go about proving your bona fides in current climate. Ignoring or querying the assumed connection is not likely going to convince any doubters.

• 43 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 1:54 PM

LGFUAD, i think defending is a much maligned skill. Is there much better than a good defender timing a tackle perfectly and taking both ball and whoever else gets in his way? Does a good hard well timed tackle not produce a large cheer from the crowd? More to the point, if you don’t concede, you never lose a game. We did neglect defenders ahead of a glut of midfielders/wingers and are paying that price with our curent position. Rafa won’t allow that to happen whilst he’s in charge.

• 44 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 1:56 PM

LGFUAD

I think the ideal for Rafa would be to play with two deep midfielders, but each with more than one string to their bow, and each with a different role. That gives both solidarity at the back and a springboard to initiate and join attacking play. It means the front four can then concentrate primarily on creating and scoring chances, which is their job.

• 45 Jib // May 4, 2016 at 1:56 PM

I remember Shoot on a Sunday lunchtime whenever they showed Boro at Ayresome Park the ad for “Marske Engineering” always used to catch my eye .

• 46 Hail Wor Ashley // May 4, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Only advert that’s distracted me is that fairly recent dog one, makes it look like there’s a canine pitch invader, but couldn’t tell you who the advert is for.

• 47 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 4, 2016 at 1:57 PM

The difference between Thauvin/Cabella and Mahrez is pace !

Mahrez is one of the fastest wingers so he can get away from fullbacks pretty easy Thauvin and Cabella are pretty slow in our league which is for me the main reason they struggle because they cant get room to play because full backs in our league are pretty quick!

Think it was Thauvin against West Ham and Tomkins was playing as an emergency right back and he just dominated him and Tomkins is not even that quick !

Cabella could maybe play as a no 10 with pace around him but again he is also soft and was afraid of the physical challenges !

If we could get decent money for them both and Benitez could bring in 2 players with pace that he would play then that would be a bonus

• 48 Jib // May 4, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Nowadays when they show Burnley it’s always Dave Fishwick that’s eye catching

• 49 Toonfan8 // May 4, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Isn´t Cabella already sold to Marseille? I thought he had buy-out clause….

• 50 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Jib, Shoot?! There’s a blast from the past. It does make you wonder why firms pay money to advertise, because the response so far is that nobody really notices them. Still, take their money i suppose, every lityle helps.

• 51 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Ha ha! That bloody dog! 😉

• 52 shaun83 // May 4, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Bobby – it’s the sub conscious that they’re after. You may not think you know any of the advertising but your sub conscious will have it all, next time you make a buying decision that seems spontaneous or devoid of influence you can almost guarantee you have been affected by marketing in one way or another.

• 53 manxpie // May 4, 2016 at 2:07 PM

On this villa protest didn’t someone pop up last week and say it was gonna be a mass pitch invasion?
    If so and the game gets called off surely there won’t be enough time to replay it so we’ll get awarded the win but was wondering Wat the scoreline would be in said win? Might help our GD if it’s an automatic 5-0 win or something?

• 54 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Right, need to go. Try to control yourselves in my absence – you know who you are! 😉

• 55 bettyswallocks // May 4, 2016 at 2:07 PM

BandB……and Bobby. That has a nice ring to it(just saying like)… Agree with you about Gini. He’s shown a few flashes of brilliance but I think the intensity of the PL and the pressure of our predicament has taken its toll. Hope he stays and gets used to playing with less time and space.

• 56 Bobbybee // May 4, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Shaun, i buy what i need mate, they’re wasting their time! 😉
    Manpixie, i think if a game is called off due to fan protests, there’s something in place that awards a 3-0 win to the opposition. I might have that wrong though, it just seems to ring right re something i read. Need that clarifying though, coz i might be miles off.

• 57 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 2:14 PM

betty,

We seem to have found some common ground again in recent days. I’ve missed it. Pax.

• 58 Mister Tuff // May 4, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Just checked the Villa protest site.. They say on the 74th minute they will be facilitating the mass release of romantic nourishment.
    Haven’t a clue what that means – certainly does not sound like a pitch invasion.

• 59 manxpie // May 4, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Cheers even if it’s 3-0 will help us out, because I really can’t see us winning by that much
    Ibiza which players do you think have improved under rafa? Just curious because I don’t think any have its more that there’s a much more rigid system in place and the return of tiote and a defensive LB?

• 60 Mister Tuff // May 4, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Dog advert – first time I saw it I did think it was a stray running down the line. A bit distracting though.

• 61 bettyswallocks // May 4, 2016 at 2:28 PM

BandB pax is good for me. I have to tell you that I’ve only just got over the giggles from Friday night. How childish is that. I won’t mention the “T” word but I can’t look at one now in the same light.

• 62 Tsunki // May 4, 2016 at 2:32 PM

Ha ha I remember Shoot! When play got a bit boring and all you could hear us the ball being punted up and down a muddy field to the odd echoey cough and whistle my mind would wander to reading the ads for scaffolders, steel fabricators, builders merchants and….kitchen fitting companies. Can’t remember too many games but I ended up pretty God at building and stuff ha ha. Adverts work on some level whether you like to think it or not.

• 63 Tsunki // May 4, 2016 at 2:32 PM

Well, good but not God. That’s probably stretching it lol

• 64 bettyswallocks // May 4, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Jib….. Is that the Bank of Dave guy?

• 65 Essex Geordie Bill // May 4, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Happy Star Wars day everyone!

• 66 Essex Geordie Bill // May 4, 2016 at 2:43 PM

As for us being awarded a win if the match is abandoned I can’t see that. Can you imagine Sam’s reaction to that and also Norwich’s.

• 67 magscar // May 4, 2016 at 3:04 PM

As regards pitch invasions I can’t find anything specifically relating to what follows other than a replay.

Problem is a pitch invasion can range from one disgruntled fan or a streaker to a deliberate mass one or the again simply an over exuberant one at end of match when you stay up. Very difficult to have one blanket rule.

Although Villa do have some previous ( as do many clubs) towards or at end of last season there were only a few mindless fans involved (cup game?). I think fines usually apply.

If a game is stopped by ref or police then I think it is intended that it is replayed but it could presumably go to PL Board to determine depending on the circumstances.

One game many of us will remember involving a pitch invasion was Forest FA cup tie at SJP which was replayed several times before we finally won 1-0 at Goodison I think. That game was actually finished with NUFC turning over a 1-3 scoreline with 10 men to win 4-3 after Forest had agreed to play out game only to then complain after result. FA then ruled result as void and apart from ordering replay at neutral ground banned us from playing Home ties at SJP the following season.

This will not set any precedent for PL games of course or even FA cup games ( only 1 replay now) but I think it was determined by a committee as no actual rule to cover eventuality.

It may be similar for PL faced with an abandoned match but there are clear complications – what if we are drawing or losing rather than winning? What would Mackems or Norwich do if points awarded?

Having said that I am dubious that this is what is being planned but if emotions are running high who knows what could be sparked of in 74 minute?

School run calls – off now

• 68 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // May 4, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Hey…

• 69 martoon // May 4, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Tuff @58 – It’s a reference to something Randy Lerner said:
    However I’ve still no idea what they mean?

• 70 lochinvar // May 4, 2016 at 3:19 PM

74 minutes – if they have any sense the Villa fans will empty the stadium, lets see.
    However with all the news of protests in circulation the club will have to have the place crawling with stewards and police to avoid any problems – if they don’t the FA will have them over a barrel ( or a hostess trolley – RIP Victoria Wood )

• 71 Mister Tuff // May 4, 2016 at 3:20 PM

martoon – snap – just read your link – does not make any sense or give any clues as to what Lerner meant by it or what the protest group are quoting it for.
    They’ve done the shouting and placard waving so really do not know what they can come up with to trump what they have already done.
    Unfortunately, bit like the Toon, there is really not much that can be done to get rid of poor quality owners.

• 72 firebug666 // May 4, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Well I think we will beat Villa comfortably, and at the end of the season, up or down as long as Rafa stays I couldn’t care less who else stays or goes. Rafa will build a team that can actually compete in whatever league we end up in.

• 73 Average_Contents // May 4, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Firebug!

Where the fcuking hell have you been?

Glad to see your back mate

• 74 Average_Contents // May 4, 2016 at 3:44 PM

Just OP now. Anyone heard from him?

• 75 firebug666 // May 4, 2016 at 3:47 PM

AC

Was a little busy marra, but thanks for asking. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Didn’t realise others were missing, maybe we were all having a sneaky party. 😀

• 76 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Firebug!!!

Don’t mention the PARTIES…..!!!

They were a secret!

Welcome back.

• 77 firebug666 // May 4, 2016 at 3:53 PM

BandB

Thank you.

Did I mention Parties? I only got to go to one, spent the last two months tied to a tree in the New Forest 🙁

• 78 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Can I hazard five guesses why?

• 79 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 3:57 PM

It was your stag night, and no-one could remember a thing next day?

• 80 firebug666 // May 4, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Maybe just the party goers didn’t want me to continue the conga around the UK.

• 81 Average_Contents // May 4, 2016 at 4:11 PM

Two months tied to a tree?

Did you visit markaccas by any chance 😉

Not to worry mate, we’ve had loadsa parties on the blog.

I say parties in the looses term possible.

• 82 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 4:22 PM

Dembele charged with violent conduct.

• 83 SPRINGY // May 4, 2016 at 4:29 PM

good to see you back firebug

• 84 firebug666 // May 4, 2016 at 4:32 PM

SPRINGY

Aye nice to be back marra, just been looking back at what has been happening, nothing’s changed 😀

• 85 SPRINGY // May 4, 2016 at 4:33 PM

spurs and chelsea have 3 charges,sky reckon f.a have said the usual disciplinary measures(game bans) are not strong enough for what happened….something along them lines…make of that what you will.

• 86 SPRINGY // May 4, 2016 at 4:34 PM

firebug
    if u dont read the arguments will only take u five mins to review the rest!lol

• 87 JamesToon // May 4, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Anyone taking banners down to mock villa shouldn’t lower themselves to that level, we’re not safe yet ffs, only banners with love for rafa

• 88 SPRINGY // May 4, 2016 at 4:36 PM

james
    karma will kick us in the nuts, if theres piss taking banners the way this season has gone!

• 89 Essex Geordie Bill // May 4, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Aye

Do not tempt the goddess of football.

She doesn’t like it.

• 90 Ron Knee // May 4, 2016 at 4:53 PM

firebug

Welcome back!

• 91 manxpie // May 4, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Aye case in point the Norwich game where the fans wouldn’t give the ball back they then scored from the free kick directly after

• 92 manxpie // May 4, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Can’t believe lamela has got away with it that was clearly on purpose

• 93 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 5:16 PM

I’m hoping the wheels haven’t fallen off Spurs too much.
    Unless they do at least as well as Arsenal this weekend they’ll come here needing something from the game so as not to be pipped for second by their bitterest rivals again.
    Arsenal have Villa at home on the final day.

• 94 GeordieTwo // May 4, 2016 at 5:19 PM

Just wanted to remind everyone involved about the upcoming Lunatic Fringe meeting. I will be slipping back and forth between that and the Manly Men Club meeting in the adjacent room. And beermonkey don’t forget the beer and nuts! And no excuses about having to drop your granny off at her karate lesson! Ibiza used to use that one all the time….. sneaky beggars. Harrumph! And welcome back firebug by the way.

• 95 GeordieTwo // May 4, 2016 at 5:21 PM

Can’t believe Lerner gets romantic nourishment from Ashley Young. Does that involve a straw or swizzle stick or anything?

• 96 swemag // May 4, 2016 at 5:24 PM

@ Hibbit

On the wonga numbers – this is why we have regulations in the market, to keep scum out so that some sort of trust in commercial institutions remain.

A consumer should not have to do a massive check up on every business it gets in contact with or has a transaction with, because we have laws and regulations.

One would think that the same applies to businesses like Uber who blankly ignores all regulations that has been put in place for taxi drivers.

• 97 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 5:26 PM

The Villa fans a planning “mass release” of the stuff G2.
    With all that testosterone flying around, it could be a very sticky situation indeed.

• 98 Munster Mag // May 4, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Ibiza….correct..
    .de facto director of football is correct. Carr chose the players. Carr advised on garde ( u think chumley knew garde?? He is an accountant.) so yes, do the math and what you get is a lynchpin in nufc. But whatever you are comfortable witj ibiza, whatever.

• 99 GeordieTwo // May 4, 2016 at 5:36 PM

The Villa fans are releasing romantic nourishment BandB mate? Is that legal at their ground then? I would have thought they would have been more interested in crying in their beer….

• 100 Munster Mag // May 4, 2016 at 5:37 PM

As for thauvin. Sell him. Rafa wont want his feeble defensive effort on the pitch. As i pointed out after west ham, he just lacks pace. Maybe he was worried re a hamstring but doubt it. I’ll miss pics of his chick though.

• 101 GeordieTwo // May 4, 2016 at 5:38 PM

I think it’s time to give Graham his retirement gold watch or whatever they’re handing oot these days. Knowing Ashley it probably some Sports Defunct coupons.

• 102 firebug666 // May 4, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Thanks to all, it’s nice to be welcomed home when one comes crawling back out of the woodwork.

So then what’s the story on the Villa game, will they be flooding the pitch with tears?

I don’t think we should laugh at them if we beat the crap out of them this weekend, not unless it’s wild hysterical laughter with wide rolling eyes and a bottle of broon in each hand.

• 103 Munster Mag // May 4, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Its pretty much coming down to chelsea. If theydont get at least a draw we are in the shiit. Come on u rich london tools!

• 104 GeordieTwo // May 4, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Just a little information about beermonkey and my upcoming White Water Canoeing Tour of Great Britain this summer. We’ll be the ones in the Manly Men Aquatic Sport Thongs. The canoe has a screaming budgie on the front and Newcastle United flag on the back. Don’t forget to come out and support us at a river or stream near you…..

• 105 LGFUAD21 // May 4, 2016 at 5:46 PM

“BandB // May 4, 2016 at 1:56 PM

LGFUAD

If the defence could look after itself, we would not have to employ two stoppers in front of them.”

I completely disagree with this. the reason 4231 and 433 have become so popular is because of the protection they give defences.

Defence is no longer just 4 guys at the back plus a goalie. You need that protection.

Look at Matic at Chelsea last season,
    Kante at Leicester this season
    Dier at Spurs

These are 3 good teams from the premier league in the past 2 seasons. All of them wouldve been screwed without their DM.

It’s no wonder weve not only started scoring goals but also stopped conceding them because we’ve had a DM winning the ball and recycling it.

We’ve actually strengthened our attack by playing with Tiote and Colback and dropping Jonjo (the creative one)

• 106 Back Door Man // May 4, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Well, hallelujah, sense on the blog at last about the real versus plastic fan conundrum.  Well done US Magpie.

• 107 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 5:51 PM

LG

I said he would use 4231….that’s what “two deep lying midfielders” implies.
    Spurs don’t have two Diers…just one. Leicester don’t have two Kante’s …just one.
    And both have a bit more to their game than being out-and out-stoppers

• 108 LGFUAD21 // May 4, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Lcbp

Capella lacks pace but thauvin definitely doesn’t. Particularly in the ball he’s one of the fastest dribblers about.

Thauvin couldn’t handle the intensity or the pressure of a relegation fight.

• 109 LGFUAD21 // May 4, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Bandb

There is little difference between 4231 and 433.

Colback is getting forward more. I don’t see why everyone is up in arms.

Is rafas 2 deep midfielders not working?

• 110 Ron Knee // May 4, 2016 at 5:56 PM

My Adblock has stopped working. Any ideas what’s happened?

• 111 Jail for Ashley // May 4, 2016 at 5:57 PM

LG,
    Not being pedantic here as I like your posts but when did we stop conceding, one clean sheet since Rafa arrived, same amount as Steve mind in 22 games more.

• 112 firebug666 // May 4, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Ron

Mine stopped working to mate so now I use uBlock Origin 1.7.2 that’s working great.

• 113 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 6:00 PM

LG

I’m not up in arms. Who is?
    And I made a case last night for why it was working.
    But do I think Tiote and Colback will be Rafa’s preferred pairing next season?
    No, I don’t.

• 114 Ron Knee // May 4, 2016 at 6:03 PM

firebug

Thanks again, mate. It seems to be working.

• 115 Jail for Ashley // May 4, 2016 at 6:05 PM

BandB,
    Let’s presume we stay up. As we all know there has to be a clear out but I think to many of them need shifting to be done in the summer, do you think Tiote will be sold as a matter of course or given a new deal.

• 116 Jail for Ashley // May 4, 2016 at 6:07 PM

The most important dead wood to go would be Lee Churnley or at least as far away as possible from anything even remotely football related.

• 117 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Jail

I think it depends whether they give Rafa a lamp or a sofa.
    Who is sold will likely depend on what we are offered and issues around the wage bill, which won’t just go away.
    I’d hope Rafa would be asked who he wanted to keep, and those players would not be sold.

But we are not off the beach yet, and while it’s something to talk about between gamest, I don’t want a row about it.

• 118 ShirebrookToon // May 4, 2016 at 6:16 PM

What’s the best sport add on for Kodi

• 119 Jail for Ashley // May 4, 2016 at 6:17 PM

If we do stay up surely he has control of transfers and is not going to go without a LB all season because there isn’t one U25 who hasn’t been bought previously for peanuts and we’re able to make a few quid on.

• 120 LGFUAD21 // May 4, 2016 at 6:18 PM

JFA

Before Rafa we looked like we were gonna ship 4 goals every game.

I think the last 4 games are a fair reflection on Rafa after a bedding in period and there has been a marked improvement in defending.

I no longer worry every time a team attacks.

BandB

I meant in general. A lot of people on here complain about 4231. I dont think they’ll be first choice next season.

BUT

I would like to see a proper DM brought in to replace Tiote and a better all rounder than Colback next to him.

I think a Jonjo – Tiote partnership could work great.

Personally, I’m not a fan on playing flair players like Gini in front of our defence. Or having Jonjo as the last last man before our back 4 as they get caught on the ball and out of position.

Look at our points with vs without Tiote over the past 3 years (basically when Tiote hit his rough patch) and theres still a clear indication that we are much better with him than without. When he’s playing well like now, we can actually win games.

Best defences in the Premier league this season:
    Spurs – Dier
    Man U – Carrick/Schneiderlin
    Arsenal – Coquellin
    Leicester – Kante
    Man City – Fenandinho
    Southampton – Wanyama

Each of the above teams has one of those players that isnt fancy or pretty. But their teams are screwed without them.

Kids these days think a DM needs to be Pirlo but its a con. Juventus could afford to play him there because they dominated the ball so much.

Its a role that isnt given enough credit is my point.

I actually said after summer window that we shoudlve made Tiote replacement a priority or we’d ship goals. Surely enough we have.

• 121 Jail for Ashley // May 4, 2016 at 6:20 PM

I wonder how much better the defence would have been if we’d bought Erik Pieters instead of Santon who ironically we lost money on.

• 122 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Jail

Tiote isn’t going to improve. It is highly likely we could get someone younger and better for the same wages next season.
    DM is a key role for Rafa. He identified one of the best there has been and he was central to his team.
    My personal view is that he will not be looking at the Tiote/Colback pairing and thinking “that can’t be improved.”

• 123 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 6:24 PM

LG

When you mentioned Dier and Kante earlier I knew we were on the same page.
    Just a bit of crossed wires, I hope.

• 124 Jail for Ashley // May 4, 2016 at 6:29 PM

BandB,
    I think you might be right about Tiote, Sissoko will be interesting though, I wonder if Rafa likes him or has just given him the captaincy because of limited options. They’ll have to give him a new deal or risk losing him for free. Churners won’t know what to do, the computer keeps saying sell him no matter what he presses but how can he give him a new deal if he won’t take less money.

• 125 Ibizatoon // May 4, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Good afternoon all,

Munster…You still don’t grasp that I agree with you? Carr shouldn’t have the power he supposedly has. 100% I’ve said it many times.

You then highlight the other issue, our MD is an accountant.

I wont bore you with my logical conclusion.

It needs changing. No argument whatsoever.

Manx…Anita, Lascelles, Mbemba, Tiote have all played consistently better under Rafa in my opinion. I agree that the shape of the team will be part of that, but that surely goes for for any player when judging them? They do better in functioning teams. I’m not implying he’s turned rubbish in to world beaters, but that he’s getting the best out of what he has, which previous managers have failed to do.

Firebug…Who untied you? We can’t be having that. Welcome back.

• 126 LGFUAD21 // May 4, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Just ran the numbers. Pretty compelling

With Tiote
    Games – 18
    Pts – 21
    Pts/Game – 1.17

Without Tiote
    Games – 18
    Pts – 12
    Pts/Game – 0.67

• 127 Jail for Ashley // May 4, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Ibiza,
    Munsters drum is too loud for him to hear that we all think that Carr has way too much power, where I don’t agree with him though is that he’s not bad as a scout. Remy, Bony, PEA, the list is fairly long of his first choices we missed out on. It should be the manager who falls on his sword not someone elses, if a manager doesn’t think a Thauvin or Cabella isn’t good enough then they shouldn’t be bought.

• 128 LGFUAD21 // May 4, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Jail for Ashley

I didnt think Pieters was doing great at Stoke. Doesnt seem bad. Pretty average.

I think we shoudlve kept Santon.

Nothing wrong with his ability and was still pretty young for a defender.

The lad only needed a few pointers here and there which Rafa wouldve given him fine.

His main problem was that he didnt stay close to his man, which is fine in Italy where you are taught to back off and time your tackle to perfection. But doesnt work in the Prem when players want to run off you.

• 129 LGFUAD21 // May 4, 2016 at 6:40 PM

JFA and BandB

Sissoko has been good past few games but he’s a passenger that has no heart for the club. We cant afford him to only turn up for 5 games.

He gets games because we don’t have enough wingers but I’d happily sell and bring in another Townsend. No matter how good he is for the last few games, he’ll be back to his usual ways if he doesn’t get a move.

• 130 Ibizatoon // May 4, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Jail…I really don’t get where the problem is. I guess it’s that I lean more towards Ashley when it comes to responsibility.

Even he claims it falls at his door.

It’s all I want to do, be able to judge the man as a scout. Despite what he may do, that is his official role at the club.

Yes there has been what seems expensive duds. Then again, there have been some very good buys too.

Anyway, all will become clear. Or maybe not.

• 131 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 6:47 PM

LG

Like you, and Jail, I have been a champion of Tiote.
    The blog has a record anyone can read.
    I didn’t want him sold at Christmas and wherever I have written on the subject I’ve credited his inclusion as a positive.
    Jail…bathtime for Bonzo….laters?

• 132 LGFUAD21 // May 4, 2016 at 6:51 PM

BandB

The fans have never forgiven him for the “Sh!t Team” Comment in that video that went around on the internet.

1) Its not even clear if that’s what he said in the video
    2) We did play terribly.

Haven’t seen enough of the elusive Saivet to see if he can step in. I remember him doing ok against Everton but running out of steam early in the second half. I believe he then had a mare in his next start.

• 133 BandB // May 4, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Oh…Ibizatoon.
    I have a tree for you.
    And some nails.

• 134 Ibizatoon // May 4, 2016 at 6:55 PM

BandB…Sounds like it should do the job.

What kind of tree? I am quite picky.

• 135 Jail for Ashley // May 4, 2016 at 7:13 PM

LG,
    The computer said they had to sell Santon, it became obvious they weren’t going to make money on him so the sensible choice was to replace him with a totally inexperienced player from the continent who we might make money on in three years time, unfortunately there aren’t any available so we had to use our future CB and perennially injured inexperienced player from the continent we already have in the building.

previous post: Rafa Benitez Instills Confidence In Everybody At Newcastle