The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This 19 Year-Old Could Be A Newcastle Star Next Season

9:40 am, Friday, May 6th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Coventry City failed to make the play-offs in League One this season and finished in 9th place with Wigan finishing top under new manager and former Newcastle center-back Gary Caldwell.

Burton Albion were second on 84 points, 3 points behind Wigan.

Coventry finished with 66 points and Adam Armstrong had an excellent season on loan with The Sky Blues scoring 19 goals and 5 assists in 39 games.

adam armstrong

Adam Armstrong at Coventry last season

Adam also won a trio of awards at Coventry earlier this week bagging  the Young Player of the Year, Top Goalscorer and the Goal of the Season awards.

The local lad was also named in the Team of the Season for League One last month – so Adam has had a very good loan spell and will be fighting for his place at Newcastle next season – whatever league we are in.

Adam was interviewed at the Coventry awards ceremony a couple of days ago and he was asked if he expected to do so well:

“Definitely not. I know I have got the talent to be the best I can be and to get 19 goals will hopefully push me on in my career.”

“I’d like to test myself at a higher level, coming to League One I didn’t know what to expect and I am delighted with how well it has gone and now I’m raring to go.”

“I’ll be back at Newcastle and see where that takes me.”

“The staff and manager have been brilliant. Tony Mowbray has been a major influence and helped me out a lot and I have nothing but high praise for him and his staff.”

“I’ll certainly be looking out for Coventry’s results in the future.”

“I have had some nice messages from Newcastle fans and the Coventry fans have been brilliant to me all season.”

“It’s an amazing feeling to be on the pitch and the fans singing your name, and the awards are a perfect way to end my season.”

“Going on loan I didn’t know what to expect so to get three awards has been massive for me, I’d like to thank everyone who stood by me.

“My family who came to every game, my girlfriend and her parents – they have all supported me really well.”

There’s a slim chance that Adam could go out on loan again next season, but we really expect the 19 year-old to be good enough to be fighting for his first team place at Newcastle next season.

He could even make another huge breakthrough next season and be a star at his hometown club.

Comments wleocme.

Tags: Adam Armstrong · Coaching · Management · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Wayayman // May 6, 2016 at 9:46 AM

What i LOVE about having a proper manager for the first time in a long, long while is that I completely trust his choices. His starting line-up is one thing, but how nice is it to see a manager making the subs we ourselves would make during a game? For years, managers have baffled me with their substitute decisions but Rafa seems to make very good and very positive subs.

• 2 Wayayman // May 6, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Not sure about loaning Arma out again next season as some suggest. Regardless of what league we’re in, he’s good enough and there’s only so much development a natural young striker can get playing against (and crucially with) players below his calibre. It’s telling that his form dropped off after the other bright young things Coventry had on loan went back to their parent clubs in January. You can make all the defence splitting runs you like if no one on your team can see them and make that killer pass to you.

• 3 barkel // May 6, 2016 at 9:54 AM

He has the potential to be our version of Harry Kane, especially with Rafa in charge

• 4 Jib // May 6, 2016 at 9:56 AM

It’s quite noticeable that the people who think they can pick a team prior to the match has reduced dramatically.
    In Rafa we trust.

• 5 Wayayman // May 6, 2016 at 10:05 AM

It is Jib. Hopefully Rafa will continue to get it right and us amateurs will be silenced!
    Barkel, re the Kane comment I think you’re right. I saw Arma come on against Fulham away a couple of years ago for 10 minutes or so and he nearly scored with his first run. Until them the team had been lacking energy and commitment (sounds familiar eh?) and he did more to get at them in 10 minutes than the res of the team could muster in 90. I bet Arma himself is desperate for Rafa to stay so he can show him what he’s capable of. With Rafa coaching him he could well be a breakout star next season.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // May 6, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Everyone still picks a team but people have stopped questioning Rafa when they don’t understand why he’s doing it and especially not calling him a lower league chancer because of it.

• 7 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 6, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Probably because we have a manager who A) has the balls to drop big names when they play badly, and B) Who knows about modern football…something we have not had in ages.

People still post what they would like to see (i did on the prev. Article) but the need to post a whole team is gone, due to the fact the manager does not ignore onvious flaws in certain players.

• 8 lesh // May 6, 2016 at 10:08 AM

From earlier correspondence, what I was referring to is that some are still of the belief that
    Ashley’s ‘pocketing’ gate receipts etc. Ashley personally and directly?

There’s no doubt that MASH and SD are making money out of the Club, surely that’s what owners try to do isn’t it? Unless they’re laundering their acquired wealth or are mega rich and want a toy to play with.

Hope that helps and I can resume my lotus position.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // May 6, 2016 at 10:09 AM

I think I’d give Wini another chance, he can always be hooked if he doesn’t turn up.

• 10 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 6, 2016 at 10:13 AM

The lower leagues are a tough place to shine. Arma having an almost 1 in 2 record, most of which were scored in the first half of the season when Coventry had a decent side, is brilliant. Add the fact he still managed a few goals when the team fell away, then surely it points to the fact he is going to be a quality player.

• 11 Munster Mag // May 6, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Harry Kane, don’t think so. I would see him more in the Michael owen mould, although if he is as good I would be surprised.

• 12 Spacepyramids // May 6, 2016 at 11:18 AM

As the League One season is over for Coventry, is Armstrong free to play for Newcastle? Not suggesting he should: just wondering.

• 13 KevinLee // May 6, 2016 at 5:11 PM