The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

One Of Newcastle´s Top Players Still Has Room For Improvement

10:00 am, Saturday, May 7th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 30 Comments

Dutch international Wijnaldum was brought back into the starting line-up last Saturday against Crystal Palace and had a decent enough game.

But his place in the away game at Aston Villa is probably in jeopardy, even though he obviously wants to retain his place in the side for the last two vital games of the season.

Gini Wijnaldum on action against Palace

Gini was asked how he felt when he was dropped for the game against Manchester City, after we had just beaten Swansea 3-0:

“As a player you can’t do anything else but work hard,” “You have to show that he is wrong.” “The trainer makes the decision.”

“Every player thinks he deserves to play but it is up to the trainer to make that decision.”

“It is how you react.” “I was disappointed to be on the bench for two games, I had to stay positive, work hard and that is what I did.”

“They will play to win,” “They will not be thinking: ‘We are already relegated so we will leave everything.’”

“They will give us a good game. We have to be focused and be prepared. It will not be easy.”

“We have to win otherwise Sunderland and Norwich will go above us.”

“You have to win like we did on Saturday, we need to follow that up with another,  or the win against Palace will not mean as much.”

“If we don’t then we will give the other teams an opportunity to stay up instead of us.”

“We have to keep going and stay focused.”

Those are good words from Gini, but we will still be very surprised if he keeps his place at Aston Villa today in what is such an important away game – our final road game of the season.

Gini has shown too good an impersonation of the Invisible Man in our away games this season, especially when things have become difficult.

However, the Dutchman can still come on in this game in the second half today and maybe get a goal for us – and that would be his 10th goal of the season.

There’s no doubt Georginio is a wonderful technical player – but he has to become more consistent to reach the next level.

If we survive and Rafa stays with us – he will have a great chance to do that next season in the Premier League.

But there are a couple of big ifs in there.

Tags: Coaching · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League · Press

30 responses so far ↓

• 1 MassiveG // May 7, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Coleman and Barry back for Everton next week against Mackems, possibly Jagielka too. Could be good news for us with Baines already back

• 2 ArtyH // May 7, 2016 at 10:26 AM

I’m sure Rafa has it all worked out, we cannot carry players like Gini when the chips are down, if we are a couple up in the second half, yes bring him on, he does not look like a player to count on when the going is tough.

• 3 addistoon // May 7, 2016 at 10:28 AM

if they play like the recent weeks I don’t see how they can’t beat villa today..but knowing this club anything can happen.

hoping chelsea turn up today and beat the mackems though..

• 4 midweek weekend // May 7, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Victory today and a Chelsea win will see us safe imo, Everton simply have to beat Sunderland next weekend, martinez knows a defeat means he’s sacked so if they do win we could be all but safe come next week, please to god let Chelsea win today that game is huge for us

• 5 Veltmann // May 7, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Hmm, didn’t realize Mackems extra game is against Everton.No chance they are going to get out of the hole.Everton themselves want to finish inside top 10,so won’t give them an easy game.
    Who knows we may assure our safety by Thursday without kicking a ball next weekend,
    assuming we trounce Villa today.

• 6 midweek weekend // May 7, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Sunderland Everton is this Wednesday they are home but if they lose then we’re safe if we win today that is, as for Norwich can’t see them getting any points at all so fingers crossed everything goes to plan

• 7 big pete // May 7, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Alright lads, new guy here.
    Big, big game today! I feel if we win against villa and hope for a draw with spuds will be enough.
    Can’t see sunderland or Norwich picking up the wins. We maybe be ok with just the 1 win if we can get that.

• 8 Mashley u Batfastard & lambiarse u Cupid stunt // May 7, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Well would you believe it Hatem Ben arfa looks like he’s going to Barcelona in summer.hes been in fine form for nice scoring 18 goals so far unbelievable what a talent that pardew couldn’t manage wish him all the best

• 9 midweek weekend // May 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM

The truth with Ben arfa is he’s had the gift all along just his attitude delayed his career progression, if he was more focused and professional he would of been playing for one of the elite clubs years ago

• 10 SA Toon // May 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM

The game against Villa this afternoon is as big as it gets. Win and we’re in the pound seats, lose and I think it’s probably all over. The game is live on Supersport 6 in South Africa, but I’m not sure I’ve got the stomach to watch! Good luck to us all. HOWAY THE LADS!!!

• 11 colotheclown // May 7, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Huge huge game; wasting my day waiting for kick off! 3 0 united win would certainly help the nerves. Surely Chelski should have too much for the scum, even if not at full throttle?

• 12 Novocastrian66 // May 7, 2016 at 11:25 AM

I’m not confident today. Our away form is garbage, Villa will want to break their losing streak. I reckon a draw.

• 13 colotheclown // May 7, 2016 at 11:27 AM

1st goal absolutely crucial – can’t see Villa mounting much of a comeback. Longer it stays 0 0 the more confident they’ll be.

• 14 toonincheek // May 7, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Jib –

Just to add my thanks (in anticipation) regarding the Setanta link.
    I was expecting to have to try a dodgy live stream but I should be able to pick that up with my Virgin package.

• 15 Mister Tuff // May 7, 2016 at 12:11 PM

3 – 0 to the Toon.
    Benitez to name unchanged team. My shout for what it’s worth.

• 16 Norlinsen // May 7, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Man Utd is resting both Rashford and Blind against Norwich today. Weird as they are closing in on Man City and that fourth place. Do any of you worry that they will pick up 3points today?

• 17 Bobbybee // May 7, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Welcome to the blog big pete. Hope yours is a happy stay and a long one. 😉

• 18 Essex Geordie Bill // May 7, 2016 at 12:14 PM

I normally wait for MOTD but I don’t think my nerves will take that today, so If I can’t find a reliable stream I’ll be following the blog.

Any one got any links.

• 19 Bobbybee // May 7, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Norlinsen, i reckon utd could play their second string and still beat norwich. 😉

• 20 Essex Geordie Bill // May 7, 2016 at 12:16 PM

with a name that long I can’t see may bloggers replying in full to you although I appreciate your sentiments in using it. 🙂

• 21 Bobbybee // May 7, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Boro v brighton, what a game that is. Alternatively norwich v manure. Bit of channel hopping ahead i reckon. Like to see brighton do it if only for chris hughton. Be nice to play boro again i suppose… no, sod it, come on you seagulls. 😉

• 22 firebug666 // May 7, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Full of anxiety today, we want all away wins to set us up for a great finish to the season next week. There is still a lot can happen, but manure win, chelski win and TOON win today and I will be a happy chap for the coming week.

• 23 jayo // May 7, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Essex Geordie bill
    I use cricfree gives you a number of streams. I find stream 3 best it gives you channel nbcsn in the states

• 24 jayo // May 7, 2016 at 12:26 PM

I see merson is oot talking shite again. Dosent matter what the toon does he’s always having a go he’s defo got an agenda against the TOON

• 25 Mister Tuff // May 7, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Man U to hammer Norwich.

• 26 Bobbybee // May 7, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Full house at boro. Ooooooooooooooo! There’s a rarity. Good atmosphere, they should try it more often! 😉

• 27 Essex Geordie Bill // May 7, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Cheers, I will give it a go close to KO.

All of the telegraph pundits are predicting exactly those results, let’s hope they are right for once.

Any one check out the Sundaland blogs, bet they are Sh!teing themselves!

• 28 Bobbybee // May 7, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Oh for an owner like gibbo….

• 29 firebug666 // May 7, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Well on paper the results should favour us, I just wish it was five O’clock and job done. Think a few drinks mat be called for this afternoon. 😀

• 30 Average_Contents // May 7, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Martial just headed down the tunnel with a member of manure medical team. That coupled with rashford doesn’t bode well in my eyes.

Unless the others pull their tripe out including Rooney and mata then I think Norwich could sneak it.

Can’t bear this anymore. Fcuking hurry up 15:00, Arrrgh.

previous post: Benitez Explains Why He Is Confident Of 3 Points Today