The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Positive Meeting Held Today With Benitez On Staying At Newcastle

6:26 pm, Thursday, May 12th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 70 Comments

There are various reports coming through tonight that Managing Director Lee Charnley and Rafa Benitez held some good positive talks this afternoon on Rafa staying at Newcastle for next season.

They are said to have discussed what it would take to keep the world-class manager at St James’ Park for next season so he can start overhauling both the club and the Newcastle squad – and potentially return the club immediately back to the Premier League next May.

The report is that Benitez is going to make his decision a few days after Newcastle’s last game of the season on Sunday against Spurs after reviewing the situation.

rafa benitez traning

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

And further meetings with Lee Charnley before Sunday and it’s looking like he may even stay on Tyneside.

Owner Mike Ashley is also said to be very motivated to keep Benitez at the club, and that’s obviously because of the unnecessary relegation of Newcastle due to gross incompetence at the top of the club.

Charnley is said to talked through the key issues with Benitez on Thursday afternoon at the manager’s office at their Benton training ground.

As we reported earlier today these are the key issues:

1. Full control of all transfers into and out of the club
  2. A complete overhaul of the Youth Academy
  3. A complete overhaul of the Benton Training Facilities
  4. Control of the medical department

And there are various other reports today that Rafa is seriously considering staying at Newcastle.

Rafa is savvy and smart and he wants the fine details of any agreement made with Charnley to be put in writing before he will agree to scrap the break clause in his contract.

Newcastle officials think the club is in a relatively healthy financial position to deal with next season’s precipitous fall in revenues.

The Mirror is reporting that players will be sold and Benitez will be handed funds to be able to rebuild his Newcastle squad.

We hope he stays – it will give the long-suffering Newcastle supporters some real hope for the future.

If you want to send a message to Rafa asking him to stay, here’s all the contact information for Newcastle United – here.

Here’s Rafa’s twitter account associated with his web-site.

It could be our last chance of being able to build a really top team again on Tyneside.

Go for it.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Contracts · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Prayer · Premier League

70 responses so far ↓

• 1 BlacknWhiteBarmy // May 12, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Why delay any decision? Theres nothing left to play for so any decision is not going to affect our position.
    Can only think its to stop any protests at the final game – 50K people will be hero worshipping Raffa and there will be no heat on the real culprits!!!
    All in all another successful season for the FatMan! LOADS OF MONEY

• 2 Hail Wor Ashley // May 12, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Think it will be a case of once bitten, twice shy.

He wasn’t contemplating relegation, he said so enough times, now he’s taken that hit and no matter that we think he’s unsullied, the perception from others won’t be so forgiving, might only be the tiniest tinge, but it’s there. If he stays he’s putting his reputation on the line in a much bigger way. If he failed to get us promoted first time of asking as hot favourites, there’d be no way back to the big time for him, at least not in the short-term.

Only way I can see him staying is if he wants a legacy club, somewhere he can mould and make in his image, at Liverpool he was successful, but didn’t really build a culture and leave his mark like Wenger/Arsenal, SAF/Man Utd and Mourinho/Chelsea.

He’s an avid football fan and has achieved a lot, so maybe all that’s left is a a project of his own at this crackpot club and then in his latter years an international gig.

I’m not custodian of quixotry, so I’ll go with he’ll scarper on Monday..

• 3 Dennis Twice // May 12, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Attack Toon attack, attack!

• 4 Hail Wor Ashley // May 12, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Aaaah, the comforting permanence of Dennis Twice’ battle cry.

• 5 Ibizatoon // May 12, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Hail…You’re right, there aren’t many other PL clubs that I can think of who’d hire a failed Championship manager.

I’m not filled with much hope that Charnley is the man still tasked with sorting out next season. Doesn’t bode well imo.

• 6 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 6:37 PM

I have no idea what’s in Rafa’s mind. Nor does anybody else. I think we can only hope he wants the challenge of making us a competitive club and that Ashley offers him enough power. But Ashley can also do something else positive by sacking the useless dolts he already put in place at the club.

• 7 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Aye Ibiza, Charnley has to go. If not I can’t see Rafa staying. The man is clearly clueless. Like his predecessors. The best future of all for the club would be the one where Ashley sells up and possibly a consortium of people take it over. We’re talking about a huge financial benefit to the city and a huge lift to the supporters if we go back up at first ask. In my dreams I guess. Reality always seems to fall somewhat short.

• 8 BandB // May 12, 2016 at 6:41 PM

There’s a mutual interest in keeping the crowd sweet on Sunday.
    A crowd serenading our Signor isn’t going to to be any trouble.
    But as Jib said earlier, colder eyes than ours are looking at Rafa and saying this guy has a sacking and a relegation on his record this season.
    Personally, I don’t even want to think of the alternatives to him staying.
    But you can understand why everyone with a vested interest wants a sing-song.

• 9 Ibizatoon // May 12, 2016 at 6:48 PM

I’m not sure why both support for Rafa and displeasure at the board can’t run hand in hand.

There’s 90 minutes of football being played.

Here’s a question, if you could have Rafa, but the ownership / board setup doesn’t change, would you take it?

• 10 AncientC // May 12, 2016 at 6:50 PM

A lot is being made of the amount of money spent in the summer, but if you look at it from the perspective that 4 senior players were let go last summer, and 1 senior player with 3 youngters were brought in, it basically tells the whole story.

How was that ever going to be enough for a side, that finished last season the worst team in division. Spending in the mid-season window whilst in the bottom 3 is far too late to attract the required quality.

It was the perfect design for relegation in truth.

• 11 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 6:51 PM

I would take it but I don’t see the point Ibiza mate @9. Surely even somebody as clearly dim as Ashley can see that the people in charge this season have failed? If he can’t see that how does he manage to dress himself?

• 12 BandB // May 12, 2016 at 6:51 PM

Unless Rafa is more desperate for the job than he’s been letting on, I think something has to give.
    He wanted an end-of-season clause in his contract two months ago.

• 13 Nufc-83 // May 12, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Thump well burton are lucky and have done well (maybe get their advisors ? there’s a lot more failures than success stories when appointing so called up and coming managers

• 14 BandB // May 12, 2016 at 6:53 PM

But clearly phase one of the comeback hasn’t worked out as planned.

• 15 Ibizatoon // May 12, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Ancient…The same was said by many in the summer. On the face of it, they were good buys, but were never enough for the challenge ahead.

We were calling out for an experienced striker who would get us the needed goals.

Mitrovich got 8 goals
    Perez got 6
    Cisse got 3.

Not even 20 between them.

• 16 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 6:54 PM

I think many could see it coming. In fact I saw people saying it on the blogs as early as last September. With McTosser smiling and making excuses after every loss and an MD who was clearly incompetent at any level let alone the Prem it wasn’t too difficult to predict it. I thought McLaren should be tossed after 10-12 matches. Many others thought the same. But not Ashley, Charnley or the board clearly.

• 17 JDdubai // May 12, 2016 at 6:55 PM

I wonder what wages we are paying Wini, Mbemba, Mitrovic etc. I must have been a huge amount to get them to come.

Will there be many teams willing to match the inflated wages for them after they have performed as they have this season in a relegation side? Could be a fair few wont be moved on as they wont take a pay cut and no-one will match the wages- same reason Gouffran, Marveaux etc have stayed for their full contract.

• 18 Nufc-83 // May 12, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Ibizatoon that question for me is so easy as if Rafa stays he’s been given more freedom of transfers and club affairs (or he won’t stay at all if not) so obviously the best thing is for him to stay and build. At the end of the day surely nobody gives a toss about who sits in the boardroom if it’s going ok on the pitch (maybe not with the Ashley hate brigade).

• 19 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM

You can’t build a good squad and club with the same people who have brought disaster over the last 2 seasons. That’s what I would tell Ashley if I was Rafa. He can say it politely but it has to be said.

• 20 Ron Knee // May 12, 2016 at 6:57 PM

It would depend how much power Benitez had. If he was no more than a glorified ‘head coach’ then the answer might be no.

• 21 SA Toon // May 12, 2016 at 6:58 PM

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I would be more gutted to hear that Rafa has turned us down than I was when I heard that we were finally relegated. I’m too far away to make a difference, but those of you who are going to the game, please rock the park on Saturday. We need to show the man that we’ll stick with him if he’ll stick with us. Stay strong lads!

• 22 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 6:58 PM

35K a week for Saivet alone if Louise Taylor is correct JD @17. Many of them have no clause to reduce their wage next season either. So it’s just another indicator of what kind of people are running the club.

• 23 Nufc-83 // May 12, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Jddubia that is very harsh on Mbemba for a player younger than lascelles to play alongside colo for most of the season he has been more than good enough and I would gutted if he left

• 24 BandB // May 12, 2016 at 6:59 PM

I think the relegation may have given the Ashley Brigade (as you call it) some ammunition 83.
    Is that offending your sensibilities?
    This is a relegation, a demotion, a failure, a loss of status.
    That hardly seems to have registered with you.

• 25 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 6:59 PM

A careful balance at the ground. Lots of support for Rafa but demands for change have to be there as well. It should be so obvious to Ashley he shouldn’t need telling. Will Mike be there with his bodyguards?

• 26 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Surely nobody supports the Ashley era as it has happened? I’m proud to be part of the Ashley hate brigade. It seems obvious he has been a liar, and a fool and he has damaged the club to a huge extent. Is any of that unfair?

• 27 Nufc-83 // May 12, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Babdb the difference being I don’t see Ashley being the direct person responsible for this mess more the players and Carr. You can spout the I would have made the change earlier and the book stops with him card all you want but that doesn’t sit with me. These players who fans raved about when signed have been a complete shower and should be treated to a terrible atmosphere on Sunday. The only reason I would not condone the booing of the likes of sossokho and gini is it may put a negative on our bid to keep Rafa.

• 28 posada // May 12, 2016 at 7:04 PM

If Rafa stays he needs to be working with a top Chief Executive.
    That person needs to be a skilled negotiator and understand football contracts.
    Also how to keep players motivated in terms of incentives.
    Need also a personality as the supporters should hear from him/her from time to time.
    Lee Charnley has none of the above qualities and should not apply.

• 29 WWSBRD // May 12, 2016 at 7:05 PM

I think Rafa will stay but it might be more heart than head

I honestly think he has that feeling that Keggy got, that this club could be something special. only problem is Keegan had the backing of a willing owner whereas Rafa will have to pull teeth…personally I think that’s the hold up, he wants control (or at least his team) and he wants to know he will be backed properly with money, I don’t know if Ashley will allow that

• 30 Ibizatoon // May 12, 2016 at 7:06 PM

BandB…It is all nicely tying up to be announced after the Spurs game. How convenient.

Nufc 83…There are a few issues with that. Could Rafa be lied to?

More to the point for me, what do the board offer if not the running of the club? If those responsibilities have been taken away from them, why would they still be here?

If everything had been going okay on the pitch, there wouldn’t be any Ashley angst.

G2 & Ron…That’s where I’m at. If this failure is to be placed at the door of the board, then they need to be removed. I’m not sure how the charade can continue.

As for understanding how much power Benitez would have, do we know how much power the current lot have?

Is it Charnley? Is it Carr? Is it irrelevant?

• 31 Nufc-83 // May 12, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Wwsbrd if Rafa was to stay I think he would get assurances of that so he either goes or stays and gets that

• 32 Graeme // May 12, 2016 at 7:08 PM

The article re Rafa staying!!

• 33 Ron Knee // May 12, 2016 at 7:09 PM

I see Martinez has gone. Or did everybody know that already?

• 34 BandB // May 12, 2016 at 7:10 PM

I try to throw up different aspects of a given situation without necessarily taking a stand on them.
    Challenge them, ponder on them.
    It’s more challenging than churning out reams of puddingy wishful thinking (usually during transfer windows in your case) and getting a lip on when others put opposing points to you.

• 35 posada // May 12, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Just looked at the playing squad on
    To overhaul the squad you would have to overcome this.

Thauvin, Saivet, Mitrovic and Riviere.

Four complete no hopers that no other club will touch. They are on significant wages and long term contracts.

Wijnaldum Sissoko Janmaat and De Jong need to go, but you we will probably be able to sell them for reasonable money.

• 36 Ibizatoon // May 12, 2016 at 7:11 PM

So Rafa is meeting with Penfold, looking to get assurances, from a man who himself is under review?

People think lessons have been learnt?

Nufc83…It was Ashley who said the buck stops with him, so not sure why that wouldn’t sit with you.

I do hope Ashleys review of the situation is a little bit more in depth than that of some fans.

If the conclusion is that we’ll simply breeze back up next season, no worries, then I will be seriously worried.

• 37 oldarse // May 12, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Just got this please send it to anybody you know cheers

• 38 SA Toon // May 12, 2016 at 7:16 PM

BlacknWhiteBarmy Not sure where you’re coming from with “LOADS OF MONEY” for Ashley. £80 odd million this season and we’re relegated! Bit of a financial disaster I would say. I’m not sure the blame is to be laid at his door this time (other than for his tolerance of the muppets who’ve been running the club). I reckon it’s all down to the players and management, not the owner. For once he actually came through with his contribution – cash. It just wasn’t spent properly!

• 39 Jib // May 12, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Ibiza and G2
    None of us know , but if Charnley was the prime mover behind contacting and persuading Rafa to come here in the first place 2 months ago , that would tend to even out his performance columns pro and contra , and Rafa staying might just save his hide.

Then Benitez’ power at the club would effectively draw the teeth of Charnley and Carr .
    Lee could return to being the contracts negotiator just doing what he’s told.

• 40 posada // May 12, 2016 at 7:18 PM

On the training facilities.
    Anybody know what the problem is.
    They were only built during the SBR era. May be 2002 or thereabouts.

Whats so bad about them.

• 41 Ibizatoon // May 12, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Jib…You’re right, none of us know, but wasn’t the story that Rafas reps contacted the club, not the other way around?

• 42 Nufc-83 // May 12, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Ibizatoon stop being so single minded. Of course owner of the company on national tv will say the book stops with him but in reality it’s the people making major decisions or advising below that are more to blame. Ashley has pumped money in this year like he said he would when the club was stable and profitable do you think he expected relegation of course not. He is relying on idiots to advise him and as I said I don’t think he is a savvy clever businessman as people make out

• 43 Ron Knee // May 12, 2016 at 7:24 PM

One of the board members was doggedly backing McClaren up to the end. Was it Charmless or Carr?

• 44 Nufc-83 // May 12, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Bandb im not sure what opinions regarding transfers you are referring to especially in regards to getting a lip on when people give a difference of opinion??

• 45 Skydog59 // May 12, 2016 at 7:27 PM

The usual Dr Harrison splurge of articles…he won’t stay…he is staying (the Daily Mirror says so..) you can be sure it will remain unclear until after Sunday to head off the protests that should take place, but won’t in the hope Benitez stays. And we’ll still be waiting into the summer when it will be too late to plan.

• 46 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Nufc83 @27. Surely you’re not just talking about this season. Ashley has owned us for 9 years, in which time we’ve now had 2 relegations with many different players, managers, head coaches, board members, DoF, MD. You name it we’ve had it. And the overall picture for which Ashley is responsible is failure. The buck always stops at the top mate. Ashley is definitely to blame.

• 47 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Likely it was both Charnley and Carr Ron mate. They both need to go.

• 48 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 7:31 PM

It’s the big picture that matters. Ashley has been a disaster over 9 years. The facts support that. Others have come and gone but he is the constant factor. He used to speak about his plans for the club including how much he admired Arsenal’s methods. I guess we just had 9 years of Ashley showing us how good he is at implementing an overall plan for club success. How is everyone enjoying it so far?

• 49 Ron Knee // May 12, 2016 at 7:33 PM

It was in response to who contacted whom. If the Board wanted McClaren to stay then it could have been Benitez’s representatives who contacted NUFC in the first place.

• 50 Nufc-83 // May 12, 2016 at 7:37 PM

G2 it depends are we talking about overall success during his time then obviously if that’s the case he has been an utter disaster. For me I have concentrated more on this season and talked about who I feel are more responsible and I find myself getting a lot more angered at the players and Carr than I do Ashley.

• 51 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 7:38 PM

We’ll never know for sure Ron mate. I’m not convinced Charnley would have the balls to contact Rafa. He’s just a timid little mouse hiding in his office according to many. Just a shy little man hoping to hang on to his pay packet. Not the right person to run a football club. Give him a job in the mail room Ashley, along with Carr, Beardsley and Moncur. That way they can only screw up the mail.

• 52 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Fair enough Nufc83. Just trying to set the record straight. Ashley is, was, and will continue to be a disaster as owner. Only his personal greed might save us if he hangs on to the club.

• 53 Nufc-83 // May 12, 2016 at 7:44 PM

The real culprits in this mess for me are Carr and probably SM who was on the board and would have influenced transfers. I can just imagine carr telling charnley that they have identified gini as a top player who will transform the club for the better (was it mourinho who agreed and said he would get in Chelsea team). Charnley makes it happen and all of a sudden faces a backlash cos it never worked out (one of many transfers mitro etc)

Charlnley and ash are both to blame for not reacting but for me don’t hold the majority of the blame for this season.

• 54 Ron Knee // May 12, 2016 at 7:45 PM

My speculation (no more than that) is that Ashley told Charnley: ‘Get Benitez’, and that this week when he was in Newcastle (?) told Charmless: ‘Keep Benitez.’

• 55 Ibizatoon // May 12, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Nufc-83…Leaving your rude “single minded” comment to one side.

“Of course owner of the company on national tv will say the book stops with him” Why “of course”? Because it does, perhaps?

“but in reality it’s the people making major decisions or advising below that are more to blame.” Day to day, yes (if you believe that is the real setup). However, as owner, it is him who decides to keep them in employment. If he hasn’t got what he wanted from them, you’d expect them to be fired.

“Ashley has pumped money in this year” Incorrect. Other than the purchase and early “loans” he has not put a single penny in to the club. Not one. He has finally allowed the club to spend it’s money, money it had previously not been allowed to spend. Hardly something to champion when the blueprint is to be self sufficient.

“like he said he would when the club was stable and profitable” We went 18 months, with money in the bank, without buying one player.

“do you think he expected relegation of course not.” I don’t know what he expected, nor do I care.

“He is relying on idiots to advise him and as I said I don’t think he is a savvy clever businessman as people make out” He’s relying on “idiots” that HE has chosen to advise him.

He’s worth several billion. Clearly he’s not a mug. The issue is, football clubs can’t be run as purely a business. Well, they can, and we have been. Long before Charnley and the players messed this season up.

• 56 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 7:46 PM

A quote from Words of sense at last:
    “Make no mistake: this has been all of our own work; from Carver to McClaren, from Berahino to Doumbia, from Coloccini’s new deal to a ridiculous pre-season schedule. We did it all to ourselves. Again.”

• 57 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Spot on @55 Ibiza. The clown has finally run out of tricks. Ashley is, was, and always will be a buffoon.

• 58 Average_Contents // May 12, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Wow. Someone’s got a raging hard-on for our best ever owner.

How can it NOT be his fault.

His appointments (as pathetic as they’ve been) are only in place to deflect the blame away from him. Willing patsies.

It seems it’s worked hands down for some.

He’ll be loving it.

Very sad.

• 59 Ibizatoon // May 12, 2016 at 7:53 PM

NUFC-83…SM influenced transfers as he was on the board? Maybe Shelvey and Townsend.

Can’t imagine he had too much input with the summer buys as they would have been scouted long before he arrived.

As for Carr, you have to wonder why a billionaire and the clubs MD would allow a scout to call the shots.

Not saying he hasn’t been, but why let him?

• 60 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Another little tasty tidbit from
    “You’ve hit the nail on the head there, we certainly don’t deserve to suffer because a jumped-up office boy perpetually fails to do his job, abetted by a London PR bluffer with zero football knowledge.”

• 61 GeordieTwo // May 12, 2016 at 7:58 PM

And this tells it like it is as well:
    “This season’s squad was clearly ill-equipped for the Premier League challenge but it looks even less capable of mounting a realistic promotion challenge without a major overhaul – something that will be a substantial feat given the contracts handed out.”

• 62 Yo-yo // May 12, 2016 at 8:00 PM

You can run a football club successfully as a business – but not with Ashley’s bargain basement model where the return in investment in players is measured in their resale and not really in their performances in the team.

• 63 Mister Tuff // May 12, 2016 at 8:03 PM

I would sack all the board.
    Old man Carr seems to be getting some flack with others being “absolved”.
    Q. How many World class players did Carr reccomend to the club.
    Q. How many World Class players whilst reccommended by Carr were deemed too expensive by other board members.
    Q. In search of strikers – how far down the list of possibles was Mitrovic.

83 – a few questions for you.

• 64 Essex Geordie Bill // May 12, 2016 at 8:08 PM

I don’t think Rafa’s reputations will suffer at all if he stays and fails to get promotion first time. Why would it, he can easily point to the short comings of the board with some justification.

I also wonder why everyone is so sure that Townsend wants to leave, from his attitude I reckon he’ll be keen to help the team rise again.

• 65 Thump // May 12, 2016 at 8:10 PM

@Ibizatoon: Not only scouted, but deals all but agreed. Charver said that the summer window was very interesting, and he was right. Then he came out and said he knew we were looking at the likes of Gini and Mitrovic and that they were both interested.

So yeah, it’s safe to say that Smiler had sweet F.A to say in the summer window.

• 66 Ibizatoon // May 12, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Yo Yo…Business is a huge part of the modern game. To be a successful club, you need to be smart with the business side of things.

I wouldn’t say it’s just that we’ve dipped in to the bargain basement though.

More that the footballing side of the club has simply been secondary to the business side. Which was my original, albeit badly made, point.

• 67 Nufc-83 // May 12, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Ibiza I am about to leave the sunshine and beers and so I havnt got time to respond to every point like you did then but trust me I would love to.

In summary my opinion is that Ashley is a clown and is not a smart savvy businessman that people say but more stumbled on a good model and had the correct people deliver it for him. This has not worked out football wise but the people delivering this advice are more to blame.

Carr and the players are more responsive for this seasons disaster than anyone.

In quick summary that is all

• 68 Ibizatoon // May 12, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Thump…Thanks for the clarification.

“Smiler” 🙂

• 69 Ibizatoon // May 12, 2016 at 8:17 PM

NUFC-83…All you had to do is refer me to your other posts stating the same opinion whilst ignoring the points put to you.

Maybe when you have the time?

Take care.

• 70 lesh // May 12, 2016 at 11:54 PM

Charmless is following Bishop’s instructions to the letter.

Be seen to be negotiating with Rafa, spin it out till after Sunday, spin it out till the season’s over, fanny on, announce that terms couldn’t be agreed with Rafa (nasty greedy Rafa) and bingo, it’s the summer break.

Then, well well, Brucellosis is announced as our saviour.

Fcking amateurs!