The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa – The Fans Are The Reason I’m Here And Open About The Future

5:09 pm, Saturday, May 14th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 86 Comments

There’s an awful lot of evidence that the Newcastle fans are in love with Rafa Benitez for what he has done already for the Newcastle side over the last nine weeks, and how he has handled himself in such a professional manner in that time.

And now there is mounting evidence that that love is being reciprocated – and the reason Rafa is even thinking about managing in the Championship next season is the incredible support he has received from the Newcastle fans since he arrived.

rafa benitez arrives at st james pk

Rafa Benitez – I am flattered by the fans

Rafa has given his press conference today for the Spurs game tomorrow and has held some interviews.

The 56 year-old has hinted he  wants to stay at Newcastle if Lee Charnley and Mike Ashley will only give him the control he wants, so he can ensure he can be extremely successful at the club in future years.

This is some of what Rafa has said about the Geordie fans:

“I am really flattered with the fans, they have been amazing but at the moment we have to make sure we prepare properly for tomorrow’s game and try to do the best for everyone.”

“I am a professional and what you hope for as a professional is respect and people to appreciate your job and here it has been fantastic.”

“The fans are the reason why I am sat here and why I am positive and keeping an open mind about the future.”

“As I said, I’m really happy and impressed by the fans and I think that tomorrow they will still show appreciation and we will try to do well for them.”

Message to Lee Charnley and Mike Ashley – give this man what he wants – after all it’s for the good of the club – and sign him up for (at least) the next three years.

Then we will have some real hope for the future  – at the moment, after being relegated due to  incompetence and arrogance,  we have none.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Tottenham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Fans · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

86 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // May 14, 2016 at 5:23 PM

I have no doubt at all that the fans tomorrow will do their level best to convince him to stay. We could give the players and board stick, but that would prove counter productive and might shoot ourselves in the foot. Tomorrow we’ve nothing to play for in reality, but convincing Rafa to stay could prove to be a monumental day in the future of NUFC. Would be nice to do the double over spurs, but the result is second to convincing Rafa to take us straight back up. 😉

• 2 JAMSHA // May 14, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Lee Charnley Should Be Replaced By KK

• 3 JAMSHA // May 14, 2016 at 5:34 PM

If Rafa Stays Il Watch Our Matches , If He Doesnt <Il Watch When We Get Promoted

• 4 Graeme // May 14, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Look at the numpties he has employed on 8 year Contracts, most not fit to polish Rafa’s shoes. 3 Years should be the minimum Contract – it will take him that long to correct the miss-management of the past 10 years.
    There then should be an option for another FIVE years, at least.

Managers like Rafa don’t grow on trees, they are very few and far between and therefore in very high demand. Secure his services from the start.

• 5 hibbitt // May 14, 2016 at 5:39 PM

just hope there not holding back that Rafa has turned us down
    just the type of trick they would pull just don’t trust them one bit
    could be stringing Rafa and us along till after the game big worry with this lot

• 6 ShirebrookToon // May 14, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Bobby that’s exactly how I feel mate. Main objective tomorrow is showing Rafa he belongs here.

• 7 ShirebrookToon // May 14, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Gone for a win tomorrow. Let’s go out with a bang and take Rafa with us

• 8 U.S Magpie // May 14, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Ok I’m going to get my gun and shot myself in the head, because I’m not going to die due to the fact that I am dreaming and this blog is not real. Because if it was I would be reading that Mike Ashley has sat down with Rafa yesterday and told him sign here, here’s ten million a year and here is a seven year contract and you have full control over the clubs ins and out and here’s 30 Million pounds to strengthen the squad and oh what you sell you keep towards the transfer window for new players and if you get us back into the premiership with in the first year you will get another 10 million bonus, two years 5 million. Because Rafa we are losing 100 million not being in the prem. Now the fact I am not reading that means I’m dreaming and you know that I cannot be killed in my dream so gun out aimed at head. Shit I’m dead. Rest in peace Magpie, rest in peace.

• 9 Average_Contents // May 14, 2016 at 6:02 PM

If penfold and old man Carr are to blame for the recruitment of players not needed and ones we did need that were not purchased or what the manager wanted then can somebody explain to me how before penfolds time as MD, exactly the same recruitment process (minus Carr) was in place where the manager had no say?

Even before Llambias it was the same. The manager had no say.

I think the only one that did was hippo heed and obviously because of what happened, that stopped because he bought shite.

There’s ONE constant since all those laughable appointments have come and gone.

They just implement what this ONE constant wants. And don’t get me wrong they are culpable obviously but again they are a symptom of the disease.

Spineless yes men.

I want them fcuked off too but I want the real culprit to go more.

There’s a timeline of the recruitment not being the managers remit yet those tasked with executing it have changed or left.

Why is it still the same? Yet the executors get blamed?

I’ll give you a clue. It starts with M.

• 10 lesh // May 14, 2016 at 6:08 PM

MEMO TO CHARNLEY

Get Rafa signed up and promoted pronto otherwise you’ll lose Jamsha (;)) and many more!!!

• 11 SA Toon // May 14, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Please, those of you lucky enough to be going to the game tomorrow make some serious noise for Rafa. Make it hard for him to walk away. If he stays, I feel the Championship can be a positive rebuilding phase. If he goes, I worry for the future. Make sure he knows we’ll be behind him 100%. Make sure management realize that too!

• 12 lesh // May 14, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Very astute footwork from Rafa.

By playing up his affection for fan support, he’s ramping the pressure onto Charmless who should have enough brains to anticipate a backlash, a big one at that

• 13 GeordieTwo // May 14, 2016 at 6:19 PM

Will Charnley actually show up at the match tomorrow? If I was him I wouldn’t bother.

• 14 GeordieTwo // May 14, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Make no mistake about it the transfer policy we have used is down to Ashley. So look to him for somebody to blame. Nobody else but this owner can set the policy. As others have said it hasn’t changed but the other executives have.

• 15 Ron Knee // May 14, 2016 at 6:29 PM

I remember some lacklustre end of season matches against Spurs with nothing to play for, but this one promises to be different!

• 16 Yo-yo // May 14, 2016 at 6:30 PM

As I can’t be there to give Rafa my 100% support tomorow I am going to nominate Bobby as my proxy.

Bobby, please give a few extra loud chants for me. I agree that ‘positive’ is more likely to mean yes than no, and you can help me out by doing a bit of persuasion on my behalf.

Thanks HWTR

• 17 Jib // May 14, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Ron Knee
    Did you have a camp bed in the City Hall basement ?

• 18 Bobbybee // May 14, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Yo yo, the pleasure will be mine marra. In fact, i’ll actually say out loud ‘this is for yo yo’ several times. 😉 Howay the lads!!!

• 19 Ron Knee // May 14, 2016 at 6:40 PM

It had a good bar, jeff, that I remember!

• 20 Jib // May 14, 2016 at 6:42 PM

The students from the Poly used it at lunchtimes.
    Wall to wall fanny (sorry Band B)

• 21 ShirebrookToon // May 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM

I’ll be shouting my support for Rafa at the tv tomorrow

#RaiseTheRoofForRafa!!

• 22 SA Toon // May 14, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Bobby we’ve never met, but I’d be much obliged if you could make some noise for me too. RAFA, RAFA, RAFA!!!!

• 23 Patoon // May 14, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Does any1 kno if u can stream championship games the way u can stream prem league games or are championship games televised in other countries

• 24 Bobbybee // May 14, 2016 at 7:03 PM

SA toon, of course i will my friend. Better start making a list! 😉

• 25 lesh // May 14, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Geordie two

Will Ashley show up? It’ll be interesting to see whether the Übergruppenfuhrer Ashley rocks up

• 26 lesh // May 14, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Bobby

Put me on the list as well bonny lad.

In fact you’d better get to SJP for about twelve so you can chant for everybody that’s asked you to.

• 27 Yo-yo // May 14, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Muchas gratias Bobby.
    That would be much appreciated.

I have us down to win, the double over Spuds would be nice. If we have any kind of players at all, pride will take over and mean they’ll want to end this season the same way we start the next..
    And if some of them want to be in the shop window.. that’s up to them

• 28 Bobbybee // May 14, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Lesh, will do matey. And i will actually do it for you all by name. And one day i just might grow up, just not this day. 😉

• 29 Yo-yo // May 14, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Bobby

Off topic but I watched some of the Hillsborough footage last night. Having seen the cops forcing the fans back in the pens to get crushed, I think your sense of outrage was spot on the other week.

• 30 welshgeordie9 // May 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Benitez name should be the only one the fans should be singing tomorrow, more they mention his name the better, no negative chants otherwise it might put him off agreeing to stay, tomorrow is all about Benitez.

• 31 Bobbybee // May 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Yo yo, it has all the makings of a bizarre carnival atmosphere, despite the relegation. It really could only happen at SJP! 😉

• 32 BandB // May 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM

On the subject of growing up bobby.

My little boy is too young to go. And I’m trying to protect him from a lifetime of heartache for as long as I can.

But I’d be honoured if you have a shout for him too.

They are the future.

• 33 welshgeordie9 // May 14, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Townsend to score the winner.

• 34 Bobbybee // May 14, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Yo yo, it truly was a sad sad day for humanity, let alone football fans. I’m just so pleased for the families that the truth has finally been revealed. Some of those coppers pushing fans back in got compensation for THEIR trauma ffs. Glad it’s coming to a close now.

• 35 Bobbybee // May 14, 2016 at 7:48 PM

BandB, consider it done. They are indeed the future. 😉

• 36 Bobbybee // May 14, 2016 at 7:51 PM

In fact, i’ll do it for BandB and son. 😉

• 37 BandB // May 14, 2016 at 8:03 PM

I’ve a few things you could shout for me Bobby 🙂
    But that would be my job and no-one else’s.
    One can’t both boycott and expect those in the ground to protest on their behalf.

Rafa is the most successful manager we have ever had on our books.
    I don’t want to even think about the future without him.
    I’d rather he took two weeks and played hardball for the control he wants, rather than caving in and signing up to business as usual.
    HWTF
    HWTL.

• 38 SA Toon // May 14, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Thanks Bobby. Enjoy the game. You might hear us cheering the lads on all the way from Johannesburg. I just hope they know what they’re playing for tomorrow. HWTL

• 39 Bobbybee // May 14, 2016 at 8:20 PM

BandB, that pretty much sums up the situation sadly. We all want the same thing, let’s hope Ashley does also. If he can’t see the endless possibilities that could come from hiring Rafa, then we are pretty much shot at. I keep telling myself that only an idiot would turn down this chance, but then i remind myself it is Ashley after all. This is Ashley’s chance to finally get it right, let’s hope he takes it.

• 40 BandB // May 14, 2016 at 8:23 PM

I think all those who went to Villa’s last home game to throw stupid beach balls around could have made a much more dignified and effective protest by staying away.
    I never saw the point of going to a football match or anything else with the sole intention of complaining.
    You go to a match to support, and if you can’t do that, don’t go.

• 41 Yo-yo // May 14, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Thought you had teenage lads BandB ?

• 42 BandB // May 14, 2016 at 8:27 PM

I had an accident Yo-Yo

• 43 Bobbybee // May 14, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Right, got to go. I’ve got my little list written down for the game. Wherever you’re watching from, enjoy the game and rest assured we will do our bit for all of you tomorrow. Come on Newcastle! We want you to stay! We want you to stay-a-ay! Rafa Benitez, we want you to stay! 😉

• 44 Jib // May 14, 2016 at 8:30 PM

BandB

“If Ashley won’t change the template for Rafa, we can conclude he won’t change it for anyone.”

Profound words.

Much more resonance than Average’s constant foul mouthed tirades or Tsunki’s , Jails and Geordie 2’s tediousness.

If Ashley screws this up he’s doomed.

It feels like the next few weeks will be one of those metamorphic periods that occur from time to time , one way or the other .

• 45 Bambams // May 14, 2016 at 8:34 PM

I didn’t think he would stay. …..

But now I am not sure.

If Michael Ashley doesn’t do his utmost to keep this one professional at our club…..My god he must be the most arrogant self centred pr1ck in the world.

(That is the first ‘cloaked’ word I have ever used on this blog, sorry Ed)

• 46 BandB // May 14, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Jib

I think the reason everyone takes the trouble to post on this blog is because want a better future.
    It’s a Tower of Babel, and there are a thousands words for love.

• 47 BandB // May 14, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Tower of Babel would be a good name for a future blog.
    Everyone striving for heaven, but each calling it by different name.

• 48 lesh // May 14, 2016 at 8:53 PM

BandB/ Bobby

Are you two married? There seems to be a lot of sweet nothings, small talk between th two of you.

• 49 lesh // May 14, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Bambams

• 50 lesh // May 14, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Bambams

If Ashley shows up tomorrow then he’s only there for one reason – to talk with Rafa….. but then again….

• 51 BandB // May 14, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Lesh

We get slaughtered for arguing and mocked for finding common ground.
    You can’t win, can you?

• 52 lesh // May 14, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Bobby

Thanks Berb, and when your at it, have a word with Ashley and tell him that if he doesn’t sign Rafa up, he’s in trouble – he’ll have to deal with you AND me.

That should convince him!

• 53 Jib // May 14, 2016 at 9:00 PM

Tsunki and Jail are watching Eurovision together holding hands – bless.

• 54 lesh // May 14, 2016 at 9:01 PM

BandB

You just carry on and let your hearts run things. Take no notice of the cynics – we’re just jealous.

😀

• 55 lesh // May 14, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Berb

Correction – Ashley’ll have to deal with you, me AND BandB if he doesn’t sign Rafa up.

Now that really will put the chits up him.

• 56 BandB // May 14, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Lesh

There’s a class of poster on here that keeps their heads down during the honest (and dishonest) dust-ups, but never seem to have a good word to say about anyone.
    Cynicism and sneering aren’t the same thing.
    I’m off the watch Rafavision.

• 57 Jail for Ashley // May 14, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Well I hope Rafa starts Wijnaldum and Sissoko and brings them of seperately so the crowd can thank them for their efforts this season.

• 58 giimps // May 14, 2016 at 9:14 PM

I’m going to be whooping and a hollering for Rafa tomorrow, just got my jobs list for tomorrow and it’s quiet so I should get to the game in time for the start ??.
    My reading of the Rafa situation is this, Rafa would like to stay if given total control of all football matters ,Cashley now has to decide whether it’s in his best interest to give that up to someone out of his friends circle for the first time, he needs to trust Rafa with his club in the hope that he can make it self sufficient and successful rather than just self sufficient.
    In his eyes the club has given him everything he wanted up till this season when the forkwits failed to get the players we needed, I think he knows that under Rafa that is very unlikely to happen again.
    Rafa may be more expensive than Mcwallycarfraudew but the chance of failure is greatly reduced, if he gets us promoted within 1 or 2 seasons the financial benefits far outweigh the outlay and the club can be an advertising whoreding again……..it’s a no brainer, if Cashley promises the world and fails to deliver ,Rafa can walk with his head held high and there will be plenty takers…..the Spain job for one, Rafa has put the ball firmly in Cashleys court and its Advantage Rafa but Cashley has the ace up his sleeve of there being only one game left and the fans have short memories ( or so he hopes)…….bring on the Rafa chants tomorrow, il be singing till I’m hoarse.

Hwtl…..come on Rafa

• 59 beermonkey // May 14, 2016 at 9:14 PM

2 things i want to hear from the club
    1 rafa signed for 3 years with option for more
    2 taylor been released

• 60 jimmysmith // May 14, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Spending 80 million and bringing in Benitez does indicate significant change for the better, but now we are again relegated, to add heartache and insult to ten years of injury, and so to my mind Ashley MUST now secure this manager long term, to stop myself, and I imagine many others, preferably all, drawing a line in the sand, and saying GO NOW, and standing firm until he does.

• 61 Yo-yo // May 14, 2016 at 10:29 PM

foul mouthed tirades ?

not another blog love in JIB ?

• 62 lesh // May 14, 2016 at 11:36 PM

BandB

‘Class of poster…. cynic, sneering…’

You’ve lost me – ah, but that wouldn’t take much I suppose.

• 63 JamesToon // May 14, 2016 at 11:51 PM

Mirror saying Rafa and Ashley meeting for face to face talks which could see charnley sacked

• 64 JAMSHA // May 15, 2016 at 12:03 AM

JamesToon // May 14, 2016 at 11:51 PM

If Thats True Then Charnley Take This

……..…../´¯/)……….. (\¯`\
    …………/….//……….. …\\….\
    ………../….//………… ….\\….\
    …../´¯/…./´¯\………../¯ `\….\¯`\
    .././…/…./…./.|_……_| .\….\….\…\.\..
    (.(….(….(…./.)..)..(..(. \….)….)….).)
    .\…………….\/…/….\. ..\/……………./
    ..\…………….. /……..\……………..…/
    ….\…………..(………. ..)……………./

• 65 Munster Mag // May 15, 2016 at 1:17 AM

Bobby can u include a roar from limerick’s most passionate nufc fan. If you dont i’ll drag you to joker park and tie you to a lampost with red and white scarves and daub ” i lov cattermole ” on your forehead. Htl!

• 66 ilovetoon8788 // May 15, 2016 at 1:38 AM

Rafa is our only hope of rebuilding this club again and bringing us to where we rightfully belong. challenging for european leagues year in year out.

Manager of Rafa’s calibre don’t come along very often.the scums in charge of our club now should give everything Rafa wants. complete control and management of the club from the youth academy to the first team.

under Rafa i have no doubt we’ll be promoted at the first time.

• 67 ilovetoon8788 // May 15, 2016 at 1:39 AM

but of course, as it’s Charnley, i expect a complete f*** up of this as well.

• 68 ROSHAN MAGPIE // May 15, 2016 at 2:13 AM

jimmy if mcclaren did little better than what he did then rafa would never have arrived

• 69 ROSHAN MAGPIE // May 15, 2016 at 2:17 AM

mirror also saying that if rafa leave NEWCASTLE then we will get Neil warnock as his replacement XDXDXDXD

• 70 lesh // May 15, 2016 at 2:20 AM

Here’s the link to the full Mirror article. I doesn’t say that Charnley’s to be sacked but may be if he fails to secure Rafa.

But the whole tone of the article’s very positive.

(1) Is Ashley prepared to give Rafa the assurances he’s looking for?

(2) Is Charnley be sacked in any event?

If I was a betting man, I’d have a tenner on both.

Monday’s gonna be interesting.

• 71 Novocastrian66 // May 15, 2016 at 2:41 AM

Rafa isn’t going to stay. Penfold will need to appoint a new manager, who knows who. Neil Warnock is being touted around. What a joke.

• 72 Bobbybee // May 15, 2016 at 4:03 AM

Munster, don’t ask why i’m up at this time, but yes, i’d put you on my list anyway. 😉

• 73 ilovetoon8788 // May 15, 2016 at 5:12 AM

Toon army must do all they can today to persuade rafa to stay. It’s all about him today.

Rafa must be given complete freedom and reign to bring this club back on its feet.

The useless scums have brought this great club to his knees. Charnley now has only ONE job. If he fails he should f off from this club.

• 74 lochinvar // May 15, 2016 at 6:23 AM

Neil Warnock – ha
    Another dinosaur belonging to the Charnleyasurus era.
    No doubt he would bring Carver with him as an assistant and invite back the experienced McClaren as Chief Scout.
    Like a bad rash.

• 75 Ron Knee // May 15, 2016 at 6:35 AM

“Mike Ashley is keen to talk directly with Rafa Benitez – and the Spaniard believes the Newcastle United owner has already sent “positive” messages that could help convince him to stay at St James’ Park.”

Let’s hope this report is true!

• 76 Jail for Ashley // May 15, 2016 at 6:48 AM

How come, despite Pardews complete second half collapse with only the FA cup final stop him from looking like a complete tw@t that fans are still leaving comments on our dislike of him. Why aren’t people up in arms because Everton don’t like Martinez’s shyte football, woeful excuses and record breaking form. It’s probably because Kenwright turned to advice from football people rather than, detemined to keep him turn to a PR guru.
    I’m very much hoping that the positive talks that have opened with Rafa aren’t just a bkuff to get them past Sunday. Surely Rafa would have seen through that and wouldn’t play ball.

• 77 Ron Knee // May 15, 2016 at 6:57 AM

Jail

Only at Newcastle, surely: the tea-boy and the spin doctor!

• 78 Jail for Ashley // May 15, 2016 at 7:09 AM

Ron Knee,
    I’m hopeful on Rafa, surely after nine years of lies and deceit they surely couldn’t be doing this as a stunt, it doesn’t look like Rafa has signed any daft confidentiality clause and is willing to talk, he looks like he wants to stay so it’s all about concessions on Ashleys side. Rafa will have a watertight contract so if he stays we can hopefully look forward to some good times.

• 79 Jail for Ashley // May 15, 2016 at 7:15 AM

Have you read .com Ron

• 80 Ron Knee // May 15, 2016 at 7:17 AM

Jail

I think it’s genuine as far as it goes. We’ve seen these dramatic gestures before from the parasite with Keegan and Shearer.

• 81 Setchell // May 15, 2016 at 7:48 AM

Weird feeling today, although relegated I seem really up for this game!! I will be setting off shortly, missus wants to go to the metro first though haha. Suppose I have to take the bad with the good haha

• 82 Ian Toon // May 15, 2016 at 7:55 AM

Martin Hardy- The Sunday Times:
    At the Newcastle training ground yesterday morning the staff showed Rafa Benitez a video; first of the Liverpool supporters singing his song, and then of the Newcastle supporters doing the same. As he would later accept, there was no difference.

Benitez was manager of Liverpool for six years and won the Champions League. He has also been manager of Newcastle for nine weeks, and was unable to stop the club from being relegated on Wednesday night.

The Newcastle Evening Chronicle has run a series of front pages this week to keep the 56-year-old Spaniard on Tyneside, at a Championship club. There has even been a petition.

It will seem excessive to those outside of the northeast but this week Mike Ashley, the Newcastle owner who has at times offered only polarity to the support, will fly in to meet Benitez. It is expected a new three-year deal will be offered and it is expected a new three-year deal will be signed.

Benitez, a manager who began the season at El Molinon, the home of Sporting Gijon, with Real Madrid, could walk out at Burton Albion’s Pirelli stadium on August 6. Burton have become the unwitting fall guys in a Benitez story filled with unlikelihoods.

• 83 Ian Toon // May 15, 2016 at 8:10 AM

Further extract from Martin Hardy:

It’s hard to decide which is the most unlikely: Benitez talking openly about what he needs to manage a Championship side, as he did yesterday, or Ashley readying himself for an offensive to do what it takes to keep a manager at the club.

If there is a shift in policy it is one the supporters have sensed. Ashley’s desire, even after two relegations, is difficult to read. There remains a financial benefit for Sports Direct for the excessive advertising of his company at St James’ Park but there is also a sense that Ashley cannot bear the fundamental sense of failure that his nine years there are associated with .

Benitez spoke carefully and with consideration yesterday but it was not the language of a man preparing for a different football club. Everton and Southampton, at one time rivals for his signature in England, seem no longer problematic. A return to Valencia or Spain is ruled out because of his expressed desire to stay in England with his family; he spoke of pre-season fixtures being planned, about how good a team he will need to succeed. Crucially he spoke of control and trust.

He would not deal with the thorny issue of what to do with Graham Carr, the chief scout who has faced heavy criticism for a litany of failed signings.

Benitez does, however, expect to be the most senior part of the recruitment team, something that was not afforded to either McClaren or to Alan Pardew before him.

“I would say that when you are in the position we are now in you have to change something,” he said. “That is between us to decide.

“I want to be honest but I also don’t think that, as a professional, I have to say everything that was wrong, in my opinion, in a press conference.

“I talk with the people in charge and give them my opinion and, to be fair, Lee Charnley [Newcastle’s managing director] agrees. We’ve talked about changing two or three things and, to be fair, we share the opinion.

“After today’s game [at home against Tottenham] we will start working to ensure that the conditions are the best to compete. I am talking with Lee Charnley, but I want to be fair, Mike Ashley told him that maybe he could talk with me this week before the game on Wednesday, but I said, ‘Listen, we cannot say too much so I think it is better if we wait and I can talk with you if necessary next week’.

“Mike Ashley is keen to talk and I am really pleased that we can sit down and talk, I don’t have any problem with that. The message he is sending is quite positive and Lee was very positive, but I wanted to be sure that we could do well against Tottenham and then after that we have some time to talk.

• 84 hibbitt // May 15, 2016 at 8:12 AM

the way i read that (.com ) rafa can work with charnley it’s all about the power carr has and rafa wants that power

so looking forward to the game today such an odd feeling one i’ve never felt before relegated yet looking forward to the game
    kk was the last man to get 100%from the crowd rafa will today

good luck toon army go get your man RAFA

• 85 Ron Knee // May 15, 2016 at 8:29 AM

Who Ripped the Heart out of Newcastle?

• 86 Laurent Robert 32 // May 15, 2016 at 8:42 AM

Whereas the other two lower league managers were yes men and saying anything to stay in a job where they know they should be nowhere near, it’s great to see ‘sense’ from a proper manager like Rafa. Laying it out logically to what is needed and what can be improved.

He will be nobody’s fool, so if there’s any underhanded change of agreements, he’ll be off. The morons running the club have a chance to be guided by someone of Rafa’s pedigree.

He’s playing it cautious in the press, he has to, as he needs to retain his edge in negotiations, but it certainly seems very positive if his ‘demands’ or development wishes can be met.

I said this yesterday at home, but if Rafa does stay with us in the Championship, see us through promotion and then win something, he will be as big as any other legend of the club. Bearing in mind the circumstances he took us over in and his achievement C.V. It is a very unlikely story, and it would propel his heroic status even further.

Ladies and gentlemen, a proper manager.

I’ll be singing his name all game today, and I cannot wait.

previous post: Benitez In Attempt To Get Newcastle To Do Things Differently