Mike Ashley Has Held Meeting With Rafa Benitez

Once we saw Mike Ashley at the game today we thought that was excellent, because he could talk to Rafa Benitez about staying at Newcastle  and the reports coming out is they have  met face to face tonight after the game.

Sky Sports is reporting the news and during his press conference yesterday Rafa said the decision on whether to stay at Newcastle could take two weeks maximum, but if Mike Ashley gives the assurance he is after then Rafa could make the decision even sooner than expected.

Rafa Benitez Waving Townsend Sissoko End Of Spurs Game

Rafa Benitez – at the end of an astonishing game today

After the simply brilliant Newcastle display today – especially after we had gone down to ten men and scored three goals and missed another three golden opportunities – we cannot think that Ashley is anything but very very keen to sign this man  up as quickly as possible.

Ashley would be mad not to give Rafa what he wants – and since Ashley’s name is mud as far as Newcastle fans go – this could be a major positive for the club if the owner can secure the services of this world-class manager.

This is what Rafa said after the game today,  before the meeting with Ashley was leaked:

“Hopefully this week we will start analyzing what is going on and what will be the future of Newcastle United and my future.”

“I will talk, I will analyze and I will try to do the best for me, that has to also be the best for Newcastle United.”

“So, you can put it one way or the other way, the best for Newcastle United or the best for me, but if we go together it has to be the best for both.”

“I don’t know what Ashley will do, but I have an appointment with Lee Charnley so I will talk to him. If they both want to talk with me it will be fine, no problem.”

“My heart is saying yes – great club, great city and opportunity – but you have to use your brain too.”

“I said before that that I was expecting a great atmosphere today, but it has been amazing. Even more positive than I was expecting.”

“We still have to sit down and talk.”  “I want the best for Newcastle United and the best for me – it’s that’s simple.”

Rafa’s record at Newcastle shows than in the final six games of the season when we were unbeaten (3 wins, 3 draws), he got half the points (12)  that Steve McClaren got in 28 games.

That’s an astonishing statistic.

Here’s Rafa’s record.

Premier LeaguePlayedWonDrawnLostGFGAGDPoints
2015-2016103431612413

And here’s McClaren’s record.

Premier LeaguePlayedWonDrawnLostGFGAGDPoints
2015-20162866162853-2524

Why did the arrogant Lee Charnley ever think Steve would be the perfect coach for Newcastle, especially after he had just been sacked by Derby County.

That cost Newcastle a relegation and it was totally avoidable.

It’s not surprising that fans are really excited about Rafa potentially signing up and tat the same time furious with the likes of Charnley for the way they have led (I use the word loosely) the club over the past two years.

It’s the best of times and the worst of times – all at once.

🙂 🙂 🙂 – 🙁 🙁 🙁

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Tottenham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 15, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Ashley might well ask him why they hadn’t played like that in the previous ten matches.

• yorkshire_magpie

May 15, 2016 at 9:32 PM

ASHLEY OUT!!

• yorkshire_magpie

May 15, 2016 at 9:33 PM

If Rafa walks. They is going to be big trouble in little Newcastle!!

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Analysing the situation is Rafas diplomatic way of saying your system is bollix.

• clinath@ed

May 15, 2016 at 9:34 PM

I’m sure I will be in the minority in hoping Rafa does not have complete control over all thing football related at st James.
    I wouldn’t be happy replacing one dictator with another.

• BandB

May 15, 2016 at 9:38 PM

That’s a good point and deserves more than two lines.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 15, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Clinath

If we get real success I wouldn’t care, I’m sure Rafa would be a nice dictator.

• jimmysmith

May 15, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Yes, there will need to be checks and balances, and a realistic budget, just as anywhere else. I doubt Rafa is entirely immune to profligacy with other people’s money, nor hubris, being flesh and blood like the rest of us, although with FFP, the restraints already exist.

• BandB

May 15, 2016 at 9:43 PM

I can see pitfalls, and the need for checks and balances.
    But after four years of saying “Ashley is going to get us relegated again, y’know.” there is nothing now that is inevitable.

• clinath@ed

May 15, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Nice dictator? I like it

• clinath@ed

May 15, 2016 at 9:45 PM

I think I’m just untrusting and careful by nature. Just to get things straight, I REALLY hope he stays.

• nearly

May 15, 2016 at 9:45 PM

quality game , quality result ,but probs a bad day if you want to keep rafa ,it was probs never gunna happen anyway ,really not gunna happen now ,he will walk away knowing he made a big difference ,lets hope im wrong

• hibbitt

May 15, 2016 at 9:48 PM

i was proud to be a geordie and a supporter of this great club today even on one of our darkest days the fans in the ground were magnificent no other word for them MAGnificent

• BandB

May 15, 2016 at 9:49 PM

It was some outpouring of Raffection, Hibbett.

• clinath@ed

May 15, 2016 at 9:49 PM

Interesting slant on things there nearly. I think Rafa could walk away with his rep in tact, regardless of today’s result, claiming the damage was already done, and the patient a gonna….

• BandB

May 15, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Vive la Raffalution.

Right, that’s quite enough of that.

That was quite a painless relegation.

For now,

• martoon

May 15, 2016 at 10:00 PM

I think the answer to your earlier question Stuart is I was watching the match thinking I’m not frightened of getting beat because it doesn’t matter I’m just going to enjoy the match. I should imagine it was similar for the players and they could play without fear or pressure.
    To be honest in the first 7 or 8 minutes we couldn’t get near the ball but then we slowly got into the game and carved out a few half chances before the first goal. After that we visibly gained in confidence.

• LocalZero

May 15, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Rafa in
    Ashley in
    Charnley out
    Carr demoted

• 9

May 15, 2016 at 10:05 PM

We are now a 2nd division club, with a world-class manager about to commit himself to working for us, and imbeciles on here are raising questions? What planet can they be on?

• BandB

May 15, 2016 at 10:07 PM

The one where he hasn’t quite committed yet, 9?

• lochinvar

May 15, 2016 at 10:09 PM

So where was the meeting held ?
    ( Ready for ) Holiday Inn or Inn (as In as Manager ) on the ( St. James’ ) Park
    Just hope it was the Premier Inn

Come on Rafa you know it make sense

• clinath@ed

May 15, 2016 at 10:11 PM

Raising questions makes one an imbecile now eh? Takes me back to infant school…..

• 9

May 15, 2016 at 10:16 PM

BandB@20: I completely understand he “hasn’t quite committed yet”. What makes you think otherwise? I assume, since you’ve referred it, you have actually read the whole of my modest post.

• Bambams

May 15, 2016 at 10:16 PM

So a private security company were doing a training exercise at Old Trafford. ……and forgot to pick up the pretend explosive device that they firstly hid….then found, defused, cup of coffee with a kick around on the pitch, selfies and home for 3pm on a Friday !!!

Ooh some red faces on Monday morning….

Source ssn

• BandB

May 15, 2016 at 10:18 PM

People throwing around words like imbecile on here, 9, often tend to be holding that particular sword by its point.
    There’s no call for it. And it’s not the time for it either.

• 9

May 15, 2016 at 10:18 PM

clint@22
    If the hat fits……………

• nearly

May 15, 2016 at 10:20 PM

clinth@15

defo walk away with his head held high ,even more so now ,he wont work under this regime i believe it was never the plan anyway for him to stay he his to honest,maybe he will if ashley blags the lot of them mmmm i dont see it

• clinath@ed

May 15, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Now, now 9 play nice. As I’ve I’ve said earlier I personally tend to question everything, especially if it seems to good to be true. As a toon fan I truly hope that Rafa stays and builds a dynasty that lasts decades….I just don’t accept it (or anything) blindly.

• 9

May 15, 2016 at 10:26 PM

I’m addressing clint’s comments @5. We are all fans, so I feel it is demeaning to insult each other, but, in view of how far down the football food chain a 2nd division club is, compared to how high the manager’s CV stands, I really do feel it is beyond sensible reason to raise doubts. Just who does clint think we are?

I do apologise if any sensible person has taken offence at my language.

• 9

May 15, 2016 at 10:29 PM

…and further to 5,which presiding genius does clint think should take priority over Rafa’s views? And why?

• jimmysmith

May 15, 2016 at 10:39 PM

It’s hard to see him not staying, if he asks for reasonable assurances. Ashley would have little option, nor reason, but to play ball. And it’s a project like no other, with the remarkable support and ground, in England where the mega money is for the foreseeable future, but most importantly, the club is so success starved, that any sort of realisation of potential is going to be viewed as iconic, and real success a genuine possibility.

• 9

May 15, 2016 at 10:41 PM

……………gone a bit quiet, clint……………

• JackButler

May 15, 2016 at 10:41 PM

If Raffa stays we can start to look forward with optimism, if he leave the vast majority of us will look forward with a rising feeling of dread of who the muppets will see as “The right man for the job”

• Belfast

May 15, 2016 at 10:45 PM

I suppose it’s better to have a dictator who knows what he’s doing instead of the usual one who doesn’t have a Scooby doo 🙂

Seem somebody suggest we should bring Llambias back ? No thanks. Just as bad as Harry Hill and a lot more slimier.

• 9

May 15, 2016 at 10:46 PM

Jack, he’s staying, we love him (even clinath@11) what more could we want, given where we are?

• Belfast

May 15, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Charnley should still definitely be pushed off the top diving board though.

• JackButler

May 15, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Only when I hear it from Raffa’s own mouth will I believe he’s staying, I’m not interested in the media game that has already began, stories off Twitter, Facebook and some bloke down the pub who knows a guy who knows a guy who has been given the nod etc etc etc.

• bettyswallocks

May 15, 2016 at 10:51 PM

I can’t get my head around today’s performance. If there has been a confidence problem then playing in the championship might allow the team to regain some .
    I’m just looking for some positives when there aren’t any really.

• jimmysmith

May 15, 2016 at 10:55 PM

The question of how much power and backing Rafa should be given is entirely pertinent, and is exactly the nub of the issue. Benitez must usurp Carr and Charnley in all football matters, and have the backing to succeed, that’s a given, but the keys to the castle, catchy phrase though it is, he shouldn’t get, and I’m sure won’t.

• JackButler

May 15, 2016 at 10:59 PM

Jimmy

That’s the biggest issue for Ashley, does he employ a manager who supersedes the chairman and chief scout, both board members, or does he follow the usual route and wave goodbye to Raffa and allow the lunatics to continue to run the asylum.

We all want Raffa but when has Ashley ever done the right thing by the club or the fans?