Fans React On Twitter To News That Rafa Deal Is Close

With the news coming through form multiple sources that Mike Ashley has agreed to all of Rafa’s conditions and that a deal is close for Rafa Benitez to become manager of Newcastle for at least the next three years – delighted Newcastle fans took to Twitter.

The news is that Mike Ashley has agreed to all the conditions Rafa put forward and we would expect the club will want to get this deal completed now as soon as they can – with some other big club said to be interested in the 56 year-old Spaniard.

As part of the deal Chief Scout Graham Carr is expected to step down and Rafa has already begun to discuss transfer targets with Lee Charnley – whom he met with on Monday.

Sources close to the negotiations have said it has all been overwhelmingly positive on both sides – and Rafa is now back home in Liverpool discussing it with his wife and two teenage daughters.

rafa benitez thumbs up

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

• JamesToon

May 16, 2016 at 11:25 PM

SKY SPORTS NOW REPORTING IT

May 16, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Boom, boom, boom boom boom!
    Boom boom boom boom!
    Rafa!!!

• JamesToon

May 16, 2016 at 11:27 PM

Don’t understand where the substance is in Ed saying Rafa will revamp training facilities and youth academy, suppose it could come under the club giving him “full control”

• G

May 16, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Backtracking to the last thread, with bloggers being given ratings out of 10, 1 being poor, 10 being great, I will take a liberty here and score myself, awarding me a score of potato!

• Laurent Robert 32

May 16, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Come on, Rafa!

I actually really enjoyed the last time in the Championship. Helped that we scored a number of goals and won the league 😉

• BandB

May 16, 2016 at 11:33 PM

“The Spaniard has been offered free rein to rebuilt the club as he sees fit and is already discussing signings.”

Simon Bird…Daily Mirror.

• Thump

May 16, 2016 at 11:34 PM

@G2: “Can get a quick one in you.”

Wor lass says this isn’t my best trait 🙁

• beermonkey

May 16, 2016 at 11:36 PM

not over the line yet

May 16, 2016 at 11:39 PM

G: serious, sincere, savvy. Knows what side of his bread is buttered. 7.8

May 16, 2016 at 11:40 PM

I had heard that but didn’t want to repeat any rumours Thump mate.

May 16, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Laurent Robert. Knows his Newcastle fullbacks. Brings a brooding, bravado to the blog. Stands for Truth, Justice and Clean Underpants. Ranking: 7.7.

• bettyswallocks

May 16, 2016 at 11:43 PM

We’re supposed to be feeling demoralised about being relegated. It just shows how long we have been starved of any real hope. Now we’re in business. In Rafa we expect.

G2….. Thanks for my rating. Very flattering.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

May 16, 2016 at 11:44 PM

You’re right betty

• Average_Contents

May 16, 2016 at 11:44 PM

Please be true about rafa AND the God awful transfer blueprint.

About time though. Shame penfold isn’t “stepping down” if true like Carr supposedly is. Jellyfish.

From the Guardian.

It appears Ashley has offered the 56-year-old carte blanche to rip up his old, failed, Newcastle blueprint and not only granted Benítez autonomy over assorted club spheres, most notably recruitment, but accepted his desire to rebuild the squad ahead of the Championship campaign.

The owner’s rare appearance at St James’ Park on Sunday facilitated the pair’s first meeting, with the sports retailer having been anxious to meet the Spaniard earlier last week.

Instead Benítez, cleverly, postponed talks until this week but, clearly anxious to accelerate the deal, Ashley pre-empted matters by turning up at the Spurs match on an evident charm offensive.

The former Liverpool and Real Madrid manager – who returned to Merseyside to talk things over with his wife and daughters on Monday – will want written guarantees of Ashley’s promises before formally accepting Newcastle’s proposals but there is an increasing confidence on both sides that an agreement can be reached. The club’s head scout Graham Carr is also expected to stand down as part of the reshuffle.

• beermonkey

May 16, 2016 at 11:44 PM

G2

is this all paper talk or is rafa due to sign

May 16, 2016 at 11:45 PM

We will dominate with Rafa!!!

• BandB

May 16, 2016 at 11:46 PM

beer

Rafa will want to hear the budget confirmed tomorrow and all wriggle room ironed out. And see it signed in blood.
    Many a slip etc.
    But this isn’t speculation tonight. Things are close.
    Ashley, after all, gets the thing he really wants.
    The heat would all be on Rafa.

May 16, 2016 at 11:46 PM

It smells promising beermonkey mate. So far I’m optimistic but not convinced.

May 16, 2016 at 11:48 PM

Average Contents: very savy blogger. Strong, flavourful opinions with good backing. Best served with ale. Has been a fair and well behaved blogger but tells it the way he sees it. 8.1/10

• beermonkey

May 16, 2016 at 11:51 PM

bandb / G2

cheers

could it be exciting times at the toon

• wolfshead@toon

May 16, 2016 at 11:51 PM

geordie

thanks i havent been around much lately hows things with you

• The Newcastle Armchair

May 16, 2016 at 11:53 PM

Has Rafa been skipping leg day?

• G

May 16, 2016 at 11:53 PM

Well IF this is true, I will be one happy bunny indeed, but if this turns out to be tabloid speculation I’m going to murder that poor paperboy!

• bettyswallocks

May 16, 2016 at 11:54 PM

G2………. I would like to do the assessment and scoring for Ruddy Marvelous if it’s ok with you.

• BandB

May 16, 2016 at 11:54 PM

beer

I half expected Ashers to show up on Sunday, and thought if he did, It would be a positive sign.

May 16, 2016 at 11:55 PM

ketsy: unusual, one of a kind opinions. Slightly off the beaten track and possibly over a cliff accidentally points of view. But a heck of a lot of fun to read. 8/10
    welshie: just having a laugh. You get your 7.5 back mate.

• jimmysmith

May 16, 2016 at 11:55 PM

Up to now, when I’ve caught an unfortunate glimpse of myself, if unavoidably passing a mirror, or worse, someone, entirely unsolicited, has handed me a recently taken photo, I would recoil and wince. But those days of self loathing are now safely behind me, because thanks to the photo accompanying this thread, I now realise I bear a striking resemblance to none other than Rafa Benitez, a fine figure of a man and my personal hero.

May 16, 2016 at 11:56 PM

I’m good wolfie. We had been saying that a lot of the old bloggers hadn’t been on in a while and had been greatly missed. Hope you can keep checking in with us.

May 16, 2016 at 11:57 PM

Well I’ve got to go deworm the hedge hogs now. I wear thick gloves for that. If I missed anybody with rankings continue to live in fear. Because I will find you and rank you.

• BandB

May 16, 2016 at 11:57 PM

G2

How many points will you knock off my score if I hit you over the head with a hammer right now?

• stuart no9

May 16, 2016 at 11:59 PM

ED —– Seeeeeeee , i told you all along he would stay , never doubted it fot 1 minute. You can calm down now Ed

May 16, 2016 at 11:59 PM

Ruddy Marvelous: has been absent a bit lately. That must be taken into account of course. But otherwise Ruddy wears his thong like a man and wades right in to the shallow end. Ruddy gets a 7.5/10.

May 17, 2016 at 12:00 AM

Hmmm. What kind of hammer are we talking about BandB mate? Right, have to run. Late for my guitar lesson mates.

• stuart no9

May 17, 2016 at 12:04 AM

One good tip for the future , Whatever alan shearer or Rob lee predict from now on – ignore it . they talk ballcocks

• The Ghost of St.James

May 17, 2016 at 12:05 AM

I’d run through walls for Rafa

• stuart no9

May 17, 2016 at 12:07 AM

Does this mean we ar all going to be friends now and all get on together??

• Munster Mag

May 17, 2016 at 12:12 AM

Geordie two so i’m hard hitting polished and provocative. I’ll take that. And full of shit! Delighted with this news. Raaaafa benitez!!

• bettyswallocks

May 17, 2016 at 12:13 AM

G2……. I have to strongly disagree with you on Ruddy. Of all the bloggers on this wonderful forum, I find him the most negative, unpleasant annoying (………..) on the blog.
    Once his prediction that talks with Rafa will break down and that he will leave us is proven wrong like the rest of the bile he spouts, I suggest he fcuks off and supports the Mackems . Support like his is not required. Minus ten from me.

• stuart no9

May 17, 2016 at 12:17 AM

Mike Ashleys black and white army

• Munster Mag

May 17, 2016 at 12:17 AM

8.1 thats a good score! Its a shame penfold isnt getting the chop but that could still happen