The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Fans React On Twitter To News That Rafa Deal Is Close

11:23 pm, Monday, May 16th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 67 Comments

With the news coming through form multiple sources that Mike Ashley has agreed to all of Rafa’s conditions and that a deal is close for Rafa Benitez to become manager of Newcastle for at least the next three years – delighted Newcastle fans took to Twitter.

The news is that Mike Ashley has agreed to all the conditions Rafa put forward and we would expect the club will want to get this deal completed now as soon as they can – with some other big club said to be interested in the 56 year-old Spaniard.

As part of the deal Chief Scout Graham Carr is expected to step down and Rafa has already begun to discuss transfer targets with Lee Charnley – whom he met with on Monday.

Sources close to the negotiations have said it has all been overwhelmingly positive on both sides – and Rafa is now back home in Liverpool discussing it with his wife and two teenage daughters.

rafa benitez thumbs up

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

Tags: Championship · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League

67 responses so far ↓

• 1 JamesToon // May 16, 2016 at 11:25 PM

• 2 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Boom, boom, boom boom boom!
    Boom boom boom boom!

• 3 JamesToon // May 16, 2016 at 11:27 PM

Don’t understand where the substance is in Ed saying Rafa will revamp training facilities and youth academy, suppose it could come under the club giving him “full control”

• 4 G // May 16, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Backtracking to the last thread, with bloggers being given ratings out of 10, 1 being poor, 10 being great, I will take a liberty here and score myself, awarding me a score of potato!

• 5 Laurent Robert 32 // May 16, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Come on, Rafa!

I actually really enjoyed the last time in the Championship. Helped that we scored a number of goals and won the league 😉

• 6 BandB // May 16, 2016 at 11:33 PM

“The Spaniard has been offered free rein to rebuilt the club as he sees fit and is already discussing signings.”

Simon Bird…Daily Mirror.

• 7 Thump // May 16, 2016 at 11:34 PM

@G2: “Can get a quick one in you.”

Wor lass says this isn’t my best trait 🙁

• 8 beermonkey // May 16, 2016 at 11:36 PM

not over the line yet

• 9 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2016 at 11:39 PM

G: serious, sincere, savvy. Knows what side of his bread is buttered. 7.8

• 10 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2016 at 11:40 PM

I had heard that but didn’t want to repeat any rumours Thump mate.

• 11 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Laurent Robert. Knows his Newcastle fullbacks. Brings a brooding, bravado to the blog. Stands for Truth, Justice and Clean Underpants. Ranking: 7.7.

• 12 bettyswallocks // May 16, 2016 at 11:43 PM

We’re supposed to be feeling demoralised about being relegated. It just shows how long we have been starved of any real hope. Now we’re in business. In Rafa we expect.

G2….. Thanks for my rating. Very flattering.

• 13 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // May 16, 2016 at 11:44 PM

You’re right betty

• 14 Average_Contents // May 16, 2016 at 11:44 PM

Please be true about rafa AND the God awful transfer blueprint.

About time though. Shame penfold isn’t “stepping down” if true like Carr supposedly is. Jellyfish.

From the Guardian.

It appears Ashley has offered the 56-year-old carte blanche to rip up his old, failed, Newcastle blueprint and not only granted Benítez autonomy over assorted club spheres, most notably recruitment, but accepted his desire to rebuild the squad ahead of the Championship campaign.

The owner’s rare appearance at St James’ Park on Sunday facilitated the pair’s first meeting, with the sports retailer having been anxious to meet the Spaniard earlier last week.

Instead Benítez, cleverly, postponed talks until this week but, clearly anxious to accelerate the deal, Ashley pre-empted matters by turning up at the Spurs match on an evident charm offensive.

The former Liverpool and Real Madrid manager – who returned to Merseyside to talk things over with his wife and daughters on Monday – will want written guarantees of Ashley’s promises before formally accepting Newcastle’s proposals but there is an increasing confidence on both sides that an agreement can be reached. The club’s head scout Graham Carr is also expected to stand down as part of the reshuffle.

• 15 beermonkey // May 16, 2016 at 11:44 PM

is this all paper talk or is rafa due to sign

• 16 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2016 at 11:45 PM

We will dominate with Rafa!!!

• 17 BandB // May 16, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Rafa will want to hear the budget confirmed tomorrow and all wriggle room ironed out. And see it signed in blood.
    Many a slip etc.
    But this isn’t speculation tonight. Things are close.
    Ashley, after all, gets the thing he really wants.
    The heat would all be on Rafa.

• 18 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2016 at 11:46 PM

It smells promising beermonkey mate. So far I’m optimistic but not convinced.

• 19 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2016 at 11:48 PM

Average Contents: very savy blogger. Strong, flavourful opinions with good backing. Best served with ale. Has been a fair and well behaved blogger but tells it the way he sees it. 8.1/10

• 20 beermonkey // May 16, 2016 at 11:51 PM

bandb / G2

could it be exciting times at the toon

• 21 wolfshead@toon // May 16, 2016 at 11:51 PM

thanks i havent been around much lately hows things with you

• 22 The Newcastle Armchair // May 16, 2016 at 11:53 PM

Has Rafa been skipping leg day?

• 23 G // May 16, 2016 at 11:53 PM

Well IF this is true, I will be one happy bunny indeed, but if this turns out to be tabloid speculation I’m going to murder that poor paperboy!

• 24 bettyswallocks // May 16, 2016 at 11:54 PM

G2………. I would like to do the assessment and scoring for Ruddy Marvelous if it’s ok with you.

• 25 BandB // May 16, 2016 at 11:54 PM

I half expected Ashers to show up on Sunday, and thought if he did, It would be a positive sign.

• 26 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2016 at 11:55 PM

ketsy: unusual, one of a kind opinions. Slightly off the beaten track and possibly over a cliff accidentally points of view. But a heck of a lot of fun to read. 8/10
    welshie: just having a laugh. You get your 7.5 back mate.

• 27 jimmysmith // May 16, 2016 at 11:55 PM

Up to now, when I’ve caught an unfortunate glimpse of myself, if unavoidably passing a mirror, or worse, someone, entirely unsolicited, has handed me a recently taken photo, I would recoil and wince. But those days of self loathing are now safely behind me, because thanks to the photo accompanying this thread, I now realise I bear a striking resemblance to none other than Rafa Benitez, a fine figure of a man and my personal hero.

• 28 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2016 at 11:56 PM

I’m good wolfie. We had been saying that a lot of the old bloggers hadn’t been on in a while and had been greatly missed. Hope you can keep checking in with us.

• 29 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2016 at 11:57 PM

Well I’ve got to go deworm the hedge hogs now. I wear thick gloves for that. If I missed anybody with rankings continue to live in fear. Because I will find you and rank you.

• 30 BandB // May 16, 2016 at 11:57 PM

How many points will you knock off my score if I hit you over the head with a hammer right now?

• 31 stuart no9 // May 16, 2016 at 11:59 PM

ED —– Seeeeeeee , i told you all along he would stay , never doubted it fot 1 minute. You can calm down now Ed

• 32 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2016 at 11:59 PM

Ruddy Marvelous: has been absent a bit lately. That must be taken into account of course. But otherwise Ruddy wears his thong like a man and wades right in to the shallow end. Ruddy gets a 7.5/10.

• 33 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 12:00 AM

Hmmm. What kind of hammer are we talking about BandB mate? Right, have to run. Late for my guitar lesson mates.

• 34 stuart no9 // May 17, 2016 at 12:04 AM

One good tip for the future , Whatever alan shearer or Rob lee predict from now on – ignore it . they talk ballcocks

• 35 The Ghost of St.James // May 17, 2016 at 12:05 AM

I’d run through walls for Rafa

• 36 stuart no9 // May 17, 2016 at 12:07 AM

Does this mean we ar all going to be friends now and all get on together??

• 37 Munster Mag // May 17, 2016 at 12:12 AM

Geordie two so i’m hard hitting polished and provocative. I’ll take that. And full of shit! Delighted with this news. Raaaafa benitez!!

• 38 bettyswallocks // May 17, 2016 at 12:13 AM

G2……. I have to strongly disagree with you on Ruddy. Of all the bloggers on this wonderful forum, I find him the most negative, unpleasant annoying (………..) on the blog.
    Once his prediction that talks with Rafa will break down and that he will leave us is proven wrong like the rest of the bile he spouts, I suggest he fcuks off and supports the Mackems . Support like his is not required. Minus ten from me.

• 39 stuart no9 // May 17, 2016 at 12:17 AM

Mike Ashleys black and white army

• 40 Munster Mag // May 17, 2016 at 12:17 AM

8.1 thats a good score! Its a shame penfold isnt getting the chop but that could still happen

• 41 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 12:37 AM

Let’s hope we can.
    I’m sure no-one wants a re-hash of arguments more tired than the hopefully now-defunct blueprint.
    And no-one is going to the thank the very first person to try.

• 42 Essex Geordie Bill // May 17, 2016 at 12:45 AM

So who is your ten out of ten. surely there is someone who has risen above the pond life level of we 7+ attainers.

Just who do I have to aspire to?

• 43 bettyswallocks // May 17, 2016 at 12:48 AM

BandB……. I’m sure we’ll find something else to squabble about.

• 44 Essex Geordie Bill // May 17, 2016 at 12:54 AM

Just watched the Brighton SW game and my tip for the third promotion spot continues to prosper.

I am very impressed by Bruno and would be happy to see him in a BW shirt but can someone tell me just what is the point of Nuhiu.
    He’s basically a CH trying to be a CF and failing dismally.

Forestieri is a fabulous conundrum of a player, I would both want and not want him in my team, when he’s good he is very good but when he’s not.he’s…………!!!

• 45 Essex Geordie Bill // May 17, 2016 at 1:01 AM

I remember our last pre-season when the appointment of an ex England manager had a lot of us wetting our pants with excitement,(I was a skeptic but willing to go along with the possibilities)

I really really hope we are not going to have a repeat of that scenario, pleeeeeease.

Ardua par astra, I hope!

• 46 JP...from The Rock // May 17, 2016 at 1:02 AM

Still in shock can’t wait to wake up in the morning to headlines of ‘Rafa to swap the CL for The Championship’ as he signs an extension.

Buzzing and weird as we’ve just been relegated lol

• 47 Essex Geordie Bill // May 17, 2016 at 1:02 AM

Has everyone gone to bed? might as well join them.

• 48 Ketsbaia9 // May 17, 2016 at 1:54 AM

8/10 is impressive. Thank you very much. Sod work tomorrow. I’m going to call in sick and have a bottle of champagne in honour of Rafa Benitez.

• 49 Thump // May 17, 2016 at 1:54 AM

@betty: Let’s be fair, the owner has a good track record of exactly this. Now he has an ego with reasons to deal with – let’s see how he fairs.

• 50 lesh // May 17, 2016 at 2:09 AM

I’ve had a pop-up appear and it’s advertising the Stereophics at Cardiff City on 4 June. You got anything to do with it?

• 51 lesh // May 17, 2016 at 2:16 AM

I’m surprised that Carr’s carried the can for relegation. I’d have thought that Charmless who presumably approved Carr’s recommendations before seeking Ashley’s sign-off, would go too.
    Maybe later – after Rafa’s signed up?

• 52 The next Mike Williamson // May 17, 2016 at 3:17 AM

I wonder if any of our championship quality players like gouffran and riviere could become useful squad players.

I expect rafa to bring in some solid experienced defenders. 2 full backs, a centre back, and a fast striker. I’d like to see us pinch the best of the championship.

• 53 Magpie Season // May 17, 2016 at 3:40 AM

Bit suprised with Carr leaving myself. He may be the chief scout but ultimately it is Charnely that organises the negotiations & signing of the player’s contract.

He could have been a good adviser to Rafa but I think he will hire his own scouts, presumably those with knowledge of Spain.

• 54 expatmag // May 17, 2016 at 4:18 AM

Those surprised that Carr has ultimately lost his position instead of Charnley shouldnt be.

1….Charnley is chairman of the so called football board and as a non football expert, his role would be as middle man, linking the decisions of the board (ultimately Carr, but McLaren and Moncur would have had opinions) to the assigned budget and the owner.

2….I doubt he would have had any opinions on the players selected.

3… I think many are judging him unfairly except for the McLaren debacle which was handled in the most unprofessional manner. He is nothing more than a link man to the owner

• 55 Blofal // May 17, 2016 at 5:04 AM

Expat I agree,

Carr has been choosing the players. Sure he might not have always got his first choice and has reportedly been denied buying older players – but for every player he bought other clubs have bought in players of similar value and age much more suited to the league.

The best thing about Rafa staying is that he will attract high quality players.

We might even be able to to keep players like Sissoko and Townsend if they know they can play under Rafa and have an excellent chance of promotion.

And even better I suspect that the top players in the Championship would bite your hand off at the opportunity to play under a world class manager like Rafa. We could potentially poach a lot of the best championship talent from our rivals.

• 56 cyprus // May 17, 2016 at 5:07 AM

Carr is probably the prime culprit, more so than any of the recent coaches. Biggest spenders in Europe in January and we get one player worth a starting position. Sam did well but he’d probably admit it was his deadly striker that saved them. With just that one player we’d now be midtable.

• 57 swemag // May 17, 2016 at 5:07 AM

Meat Loaf. Big Sam. Brothers?

• 58 The overrated Frenchman // May 17, 2016 at 5:18 AM

I’m firmly in the anti-Carr camp. This line about Charnley not accepting his first choices is nonsense. At some point Carr has to have said to Charnley that Cabella, Riviere, Thauvin etc. were worth the money and should be signed. Good business for their agents and Carr, a disaster for NUFC. Can’t wait to see him go.

• 59 Jail for Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 6:50 AM

I’m obviously not a fan of Carr as I place him as one of the five stooges that has us in this mess but when he is told under no uncertain terms that a player must be not be over 25 and he cannot be at his peak value you are basically asking someone to take a huge gamble, how do we honestly know that Carr did not argue the case for Mahrez or Payet, we’ve seen loads of his other recommendations fall through because of penny pinching and valuations carried out by someone who has been descibed as having zero footballing knowledge.

• 60 Ron Knee // May 17, 2016 at 6:55 AM

Appoint somebody with football knowledge to run the club. Now why didn’t you think of that before, Ashley?

• 61 Magpie Season // May 17, 2016 at 6:58 AM

expat & blofal,

I know it’s Carr that picks the players but it is not he who handles the financial side of things is he? For instance, with Thauvin, Carr scouted him & told the board to buy him. But then the responsibility goes to Charnley to bring in Carr’s chosen player, such as transfer bid, negotiating contracts with the player & his agent & sorting out the budget to provide finances to bring in Carr’s player.

I’m quite sure Carr (& scouts in general) just handles the football side of things & chooses/recommends the players. Then it is up to the chairman or MD to bring them. Not sure why Charnley is being exonerated here.

• 62 Jail for Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 7:04 AM

You accuse me of not being able to give Ashley any credit. Please on the back of a stamp write down what he has deserved credit for in this last nine years. Sound financial footing. Fourth highest debt in PL before falling from grace( again). Hiring Rafa? A last ditch effort to stave off relegation, if we’d finished like Bournemouth, Watford or Stoke we’d have McCardew here for many years to come. Even if he signs now I will say fair play to him for finally getting his finger out, but it has come at the expense of being relegated and worse still being relegated of those lot down the road. A small price to pay some might say if it means the beginning of our road to greatness. Maybe, but certainly not for me to start shouting the wretch worthy “Mike Ashleys black and white army:

• 63 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 7:21 AM

The next Mike Williamson @52
    You have to look no further than Andros Townsend to see how a new pair of coaching hands can change the perception of a player.

From a no-hoper perma-reservist to England squad member in 4 months – remarkable !

I would not write off any player on NUFC’s books at the moment.

Rafa said when he first came here that it was our excellent group of players that persuaded him to sign up .

We have 3 windows before we start in the PL again.The time to recruit will be next January when we are riding the top of the Championship and can defo offer PL football to new signings.

• 64 expatmag // May 17, 2016 at 7:21 AM

Magpie Season

I dont remember using the word exonerated. As a member of the board, he is partially to blame.

Charnley is working to a a remit given him by both sides. On one side, he has Ashley, ingorming him that he has X number of million pounds to spend and no more. On the other side, he has Carr and Co providing him with lists of players needed.

He was the meat in the ssndwich. He got various deals done but it is clear that whilst Mbemba, Townsend impressed, the fact that Thauvin, Shelvey, Saviet and to a lesser degree, Mitrovic and Wijnaldum failed. That is more the fault of Carr and McLaren.

I am convinced Saviet was signed because Tiote was on his way to China, only to be cancelled at the last minute.

I have no idea why Doumbia was signed. Ridiculous waste of money and resources.

• 65 expatmag // May 17, 2016 at 7:25 AM

The only thing I would actually KNOWINGLY blame Charnley for this season is the unprofessional and crass way the sscking of McLaren and Co. was handled . It was horrible and I actually felt sorry for McLaren in the end

• 66 Ron Knee // May 17, 2016 at 7:40 AM

Is relegation a blessing in disguise? If we’d finished 17th would the club have been so keen to give Benitez control?

Let’s hope the deal is tied up soon!

• 67 The overrated Frenchman // May 17, 2016 at 8:20 AM

Jail@59. Of course you are right in saying we don’t know who Carr might have proposed and had rejected. My criticism is based on what we do know. We know that we have been burdened with a suite of overpriced, overrated Frenchmen managed by Carr’s close connections. And in general, we have had far more misses than hits during his tenure

previous post: Report – Ashley Accepts All Conditions – Rafa Deal Close