In trying to sort out and make some sense of how the Newcastle squad could be overhauled this summer and assuming it’s Rafa Benitez in charge – we have split players into one of five different categories.
One thing Newcastle must do is to trim the wage bill for next season, and we can do that by selling players or sending them out on loan or not renewing players’ contracts which end on June 30th.
We have put the players into the five categories and have covered 37 players and what could be done with each one of them.
Fabricio Coloccini – will be moved on loan or sold
Here are the various categories and the players in them.
a) Players who will be moved off the wage bill by not renewing their contracts, selling them or loaning them out
- Sylvain Marveaux and Gabby Obertan left the club on May 5th after an agreement was reached
- Steven Taylor and Sammy Ameobi have contracts that run out in June and will not be renewed
- Haris Vuckic has one year left on his contract and he will either be sold or more likely be loaned out – maybe to Rangers FC who are now in the Scottish Premier league.
- Fabricio Coloccini, Manu Riviere and Yoan Gouffran will be sent out on loan or sold – preferably the latter
- Seydou Doumbia will return to Roma after his loan spell completes.
- Remy Cabella is expected to join Marseille for around £6.3M (€8M)and according to reports that deal has already been agreed.
- Florian Thauvin
- Henri Saivet
b) Those players who will definitely be staying at Newcastle
- Karl Darlow, Rob Elliott
- Vurnon Anita, Jamie Sterry, Chancel Mbemba, Jamaal Lascelles, Paul Dummett, Massadio Haidara, Curtis Good (?)
- Jack Colback, Jonjo Shelvey
- Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ayoze Perez, Adam Armstrong, Ivan Toney
c) Younger players whose contracts run out in the summer and Newcastle will likely want to keep at the club, especially if Rafa Benitez continues as the Newcastle manager
- Kevin Mbabu, Freddie Woodman, Rolando Aarons.
d) Players who are likely to want to leave Newcastle and therefore will be sold
- Moussa Sissoko, Gini Wijnaldum, Daryl Janmaat, Tim Krul, Andros Townsend
e) Players who Rafa Benitez may want to keep at the club for their experience or at least take a look at them in pre-season. If Rafa doesn’t want them they will be sold
- Papiss Cisse, Cheick Tiote
Obviously Rafa will want to bring in some new players to fill out the squad so it is (easily) good enough to get promoted straight back to the Premier League – which is the number one priority for next season.
He can do that with transfer money available from those players sold in categories a) and d)
One thing Rafa may want to do and may be one of the areas of discussion with Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley is hold onto some of his stars by either keeping them at the club next season or loaning them out for the season.
Those are principally the players in category d) Moussa Sissoko, Gini Wijnaldum, Daryl Janmaat, Tim Krul and Andros Townsend
Who do you think should go and who should stay during the summer?