The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Shearer Still Thinks Rafa Will Walk Away From Newcastle

12:22 pm, Tuesday, May 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 69 Comments

Alan Shearer is still not convinced that Rafa Benitez will accept the Newcastle manager position and manage the club in the Championship next season.

Well at least Alan is consistent and he’s sticking to his opinion, even though the news coming through seems extremely positive that Rafa could be signed up before the end of week.

Alan Shearer +Emeralds+Ivy+Ball+Arrivals+xjLhBDsSJyPl

Alan Shearer – not convinced

This is what Alan Shearer said on BBC Look North yesterday:

“I’d still be very surprised if he was to be Newcastle manager.” “I’m sure he’ll have many offers.”

“And I’m sure he’ll have many questions that he wants to ask the owner, and many assurances that he’ll want to ask:  including about whether he will be allowed to manage the whole football club.”

“He’ll want all that down in black and white.” “I hope he stays but I’d be surprised.”

“The atmosphere on Saturday at St James’ Park for a team who had just been relegated was just unbelievable.”

“You looked at the players celebrating when they scored a goal, and the passion and commitment they showed – but where has that been all season?”

“I know there was nothing on the game, so really there was no pressure on them, but really the performance was baffling for me.”

It’s fairly easy to answer Alan’s question about where was has that passion been all season.

Rafa wasn’t with us earlier – but it still doesn’t show our players in a good light one little bit – that’s true also.

We hope Alan is wrong on Rafa, but it seems this interview was before the news broke late last night about how much closer Rafa is to accepting the Newcastle job.

Tags: Alan Shearer · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League · Press

69 responses so far ↓

• 1 dok - the horrid colonial // May 17, 2016 at 12:26 PM

relax alan,

perhaps leave your comfy desk and cushy job, and come to st james and help build mitro into your form… least you can do for the club the idolizes ya…

• 2 dok - the horrid colonial // May 17, 2016 at 12:26 PM

oops Ashley out..

sorry tsunki 🙂

• 3 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Channel 5 in the UK has a pretty crappy highlights show called the Football League Tonight on a Saturday 2100 hrs.
    It was pretty dire this, it’s first season . but C5 have promised to improve it for nest season.
    I addition Sky are contracted to show a minimum of 50 matches live (Leeds United owner actually complained about them being on too much ) so they should be streamed .

• 4 Wayayman // May 17, 2016 at 12:30 PM

I’m hoping Alan’s just still bitter about the way Ashley treated him after the last relegation, and that he’s thinking that as Ashley didn’t give him what HE wanted last time, then there’s no way Rafa will get what he wants.
    Hopefully Ashley has seen the error of his ways and won’t pi55 on our chips yet again. Everything crossed.

• 5 funlovingexpress // May 17, 2016 at 12:35 PM

I love Alan but lets put some perspective on this.

A lot of what he says is because of his own experience but it is very different with Benitez.

Alan was a world class striker and loved by the fans but he had absolutely no experience as a manager.

Benitez is a world class manager but was never a world class striker.

If you were looking for a striker then you would cave into Alans demands because he was world class. You wouldn’t cave in to Benitez’s.

The reverse is also true.

If you are looking for a world class manager then you would cave into Benitez’s demands but you wouldn’t cave into Alans.

What I am basically saying is that Alan cannot compare his own experiences with respect to what was offered and not offered, with those of Benitez.

• 6 Bobbybee // May 17, 2016 at 12:36 PM

It could be that Ashley trusts our club in the hands of Rafa, whereas he hasn’t trusted anybody else that much. God knows why, when he trusted Charnley and Carr, but Rafa is a very successful manager who lives, eats and drinks football and has earned that trust. Charnley and Carr simply didn’t work, whereas Rafa has already shown what he can do given the right backing. Alan, you are still a legend and always will be here, but sometimes your comments are off the mark. Wait and see before leaving yourself wide open to ridicule. Unless you genuinely know something we don’t know? In which case, don’t you think you owe it to us to share it?

• 7 jimmysmith // May 17, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Well he’s right in as much as the offer he takes may not even have been tabled yet. Newcastle could get gazumped at any moment. When Rafa talks about things being resolved inside a fortnight, it seems unlikely he is talking about Newcastle being the only bidder for his services. Still the Newcastle job, on his terms, would be in many respects an attractive proposition for him.

• 8 Bobbybee // May 17, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Funloving, spooky. 😉

• 9 funlovingexpress // May 17, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Bobbybee I fully agree.

I think after the last 6 games and after meeting Benitez Ashley will realise that he has been fed a steady stream of bu°°sh°t from chancers and charlatans over the last 8 years.

• 10 Blackley and Brownlie // May 17, 2016 at 12:45 PM

You say, “Now SD is to pay for the advertising, I do wonder if there will be a new quid pro quo for the loan, and is so what it will be. It seems a reasonable question.”

This is the point I’ve been banging on about for years and you’re only now saying it’s a reasonable question. As FunlovingExpress points out, thanks to people’s whingeing, it might well cost the club more if Ashley decides to take interest at a full commercial rate on his loan.

I see you want Adhley to pay down the debt from profits but now you say you don’t want it yet. You ask me. I say it would be great if the club eere debt free. But to get in that situation the club would have to use profits to pay back the drbt and not use them to invest in players. When would be a good time to that? Is there ever a good time to pay back someone’s loan while they are more than happy to give it to you interest free?

• 11 rozehnal // May 17, 2016 at 12:45 PM

I am getting sick of Shearers negative comments, I am sure he said that Benitez would not join us either. Why don’t he try to convince him instead just saying negative words in the media. Not helping our cause at all!!!

• 12 Hail Wor Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Maybe the money from SD will go straight to servicing the debt owed to Mash? Basically Mash converting SD money into his own personal wealth.

• 13 Essex Geordie Bill // May 17, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Just thought I’d repeat my last two comments mainly because I want to.

Essex Geordie Bill // May 17, 2016 at 12:54 AM

Just watched the Brighton SW game and my tip for the third promotion spot continues to prosper.

I am very impressed by Bruno and would be happy to see him in a BW shirt but can someone tell me just what is the point of Nuhiu.
    He’s basically a CH trying to be a CF and failing dismally.

Forestieri is a fabulous conundrum of a player, I would both want and not want him in my team, when he’s good he is very good but when he’s not.he’s…………!!!

45Essex Geordie Bill // May 17, 2016 at 1:01 AM

I remember our last pre-season when the appointment of an ex England manager had a lot of us wetting our pants with excitement,(I was a skeptic but willing to go along with the possibilities)

I really really hope we are not going to have a repeat of that scenario, pleeeeeease.

Ardua par astra, I hope!

• 14 bettyswallocks // May 17, 2016 at 12:47 PM

I am very concerned that Rotonda thinks Rafa is a good manager and can hopefully provide us with a winning team.

I would feel far more comfortable if he judged Rafa to be a bad choice and predicted that he will fail.

• 15 magscar // May 17, 2016 at 12:48 PM

I agree that Ashley will only give the reins up to someone he trusts but coupled with the spice of he hasn’t got any realistic options right now.

BandB last thread

You aren’t thinking of Llambias by any chance? Tougher but he couldn’t carry out all of Charnley’s duties presumably as he didn’t last time so would Charnley stay in a ( even more) reduced role? Has Llambias the personality that might just rub Rafa the wrong way? The immediate way forward is surely sweetness and light:-)

Longer term who knows – probably not even Ashley yet!

• 16 Bobbybee // May 17, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Funloving, i’ve never bought into the argument that Ashley wants to fail. He has always maintained that he wanted what was best for us and as you say, he’s been fed crap advice over many years. This is his best chance to back his words and he’d be a mug to turn it down. He certainly appears to be willing to try, if rumours are true. It’s what he needs and definitely what we want and deserve after his many years of getting it wrong. Fingers crossed.

• 17 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 12:50 PM

They appear to be negotiating in good faith at the moment, and both sides have a right to a negotiating position.
    I think Shearer’s point is this.
    Will Newcastle hand over the golden ticket and wrap this up while they are ahead?
    Or will they haggle until they are gazzumped…..again.
    They must know they do not have Benitez over a barrel.

• 18 Toonces // May 17, 2016 at 12:51 PM

In the US, beIN has the television rights to the Championship – they have been airing the playoff fixtures this week as a case in point. They also have La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1 so they typically show the marquee fixtures from those in preference to the Championship over the majority of the season. But, beIN has an online streaming service BeIN connect where they can show matches not on TV proper. So maybe we will see some Newcastle games made available either on the beIN channels themselves or on their web service. I am in Florida so I am hoping that we will find a way to be able to watch as many Newcastle games as possible.

• 19 dok - the horrid colonial // May 17, 2016 at 12:53 PM

ty all for the info on how to watch the toon during the upcoming season… beers for eachof you :p

• 20 dok - the horrid colonial // May 17, 2016 at 12:53 PM

thanks, if I find a way here in tex-ass, ill let ya know as well 🙂

• 21 jimmysmith // May 17, 2016 at 12:54 PM

I can’t imagine a single way the club would benefit in paying back an interest free loan to it’s own owner. Think of it as a gift, because that’s essentially what it is if Ashley starts to charge SD for advertising. Ashley gets his money back when he sells, with interest, if he builds it;s market value, as it should be, when he alone owns it lock, stock, and barrel.

• 22 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 12:54 PM

I think Charnley will stay magscar.
    I’m not clamouring for his head.
    He would just be moved out of Rafa’s way.
    IF they agree.

• 23 Toonces // May 17, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Preferring a legit online stream to a dodgy virus filled one, of course. But I will watch the dodgy stream if that is all we can find. Cheers.

• 24 magscar // May 17, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Put more succinctly than Shearer – perhaps you should audition to ghost write his Sun(?) column for him .

Then again with that sort of brevity he would have to cover more topics to fill the column so he would prefer to spin it out much as he does on the sofa 🙂

• 25 Jail for Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 12:56 PM

We are maybe about to sign one of the best managers in our history, I don’t really think anyone gives a flying funk if Mike Ashley pays for advertising or reduces debt. It has been an issue in the past as we have been told continuously we can’t compete with Stoke and WBA etc if we start to win stuff and play well then finance is secondary

• 26 bettyswallocks // May 17, 2016 at 12:56 PM

BandB…… I don’t think you have grasped a full understanding of Blackley’s explanation. The repayment of the loan would hinder our cash flow and the tax situation combined with expanding the corporate fiscal accountancy repayment plan would result in a negative equity scenario from that particular transaction. Please try and understand pet.

• 27 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 12:56 PM

As you know, I never took the “football board” seriously, so “Sack the Boar” is not something I would ever say.

• 28 Toonces // May 17, 2016 at 12:58 PM

That will be much appreciated!

• 29 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Does that mean we’ll get promoted again betty?
    Will we start kicking the ball in the goal again?
    Sack the Boar, I say.

• 30 giimps // May 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM

I think chumpley will stay too, unfortunately ,on the plus side though Rafas pencils will always be arranged in order of hardness and his cup of tea will be perfect along with his lemon puffs and a piece of red velvet cake………Lamearse couldn’t do that!!!!!!

• 31 magscar // May 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM

I do to.

There has to be some sort of continuity for now but things will evolve.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM

You can butter up anyway you want what people want done with Churnley, sacked, demoted, moved to one side, assigned different duties. I really don’t care what they do with him as long as he’s not deciding what players we buy and that Rafa is happy for him to carry on doing whatever new tasks they give him.

• 33 Bobbybee // May 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Ashley retains the right to employ who he chooses, what with owning the club, but I for one would be happier if he chooses to keep Charnley, it’s on the understanding that his only job is to facilitate Rafa in everything he asks for. If he gets in the way, he has to go. 😉

• 34 bettyswallocks // May 17, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Don’t you mean sack the bore!

• 35 Rotonda heights // May 17, 2016 at 1:02 PM

shut up shearer, keep it to yourself. you may well be right but no one wants to hear it right now.

• 36 Jail for Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Rafa is in a position to tell Ashley who he employs a swell as Ashley needs Rafa a whole lot more than Rafa needs him !

• 37 banjax // May 17, 2016 at 1:03 PM

I respect Alan’s view on Rafa Benitez ‘walking away’ from the club even though things seem to be moving in the right direction. At the moment there is no decisive answer either way and although reports are positive Benitez will stay, we all have to manage our own expectations and wait (as the saying goes) until the fat lady sings. Even now it seems impossible that Benitez would walk away because of the press reports but he well may just do that. So for me it’s patience and no more blogging on this subject until the news is confirmed – either way.

• 38 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 1:06 PM

What they are taking about today is a transfer budget.
    An ACTUAL agreed transfer budget that the manager can spend, rather than waiting to see what is coming in the post and knowing it is likely to be yet another pair of fluffy white socks
    The world has gone mad.

• 39 bettyswallocks // May 17, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Ashley will keep Charnley to continue their role- play scenario of lion and lion tamer. Ashley makes Charnley get down on all fours and then puts his head in his mouth.

• 40 Bobbybee // May 17, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Right, as much as i’ve enjoyed this, i’m being called for other duties. Driving duties. Catcha all later. 😉

• 41 funlovingexpress // May 17, 2016 at 1:10 PM

B and B most of the media are reporting we are agreeing to everything so it’s looking good.

You can meet many people who tell you they are the real deal and you might even believe them.

But once you do meet someone who is actually the real deal it becomes obvious really quickly that the others were jokers.

IMo and that’s all it is an opinion, I think Charnley convinced him that this triangle of power thing would work.

Alarm bells would have rung with me straight away that they were employing British managers (poor ones at that) to use a continental system and that it was a conflict of interests but I know my footy, Ashley doesn’t.

Benitez is a world class manager and knows how a club should be run, he has after all managed some of the best clubs in the world.

The experiences he has gained about the inner workings of those clubs are and always will be far far far superior ton any little pipe dream Charnley comes up with.

Above all he is the manager so we don’t want to dilute his time too much.

So give him what he wants, everything. His experience tells us its a gamble worth taking. A much better one than relying on a failed lower league manager who took up scouting.

Then tell Charnley, he keeps his title but Benitez is his boss and he is to do the donkey work. I.e. Benitez wants training ground facilities improved, Charnley improves them etc etc.

Thats how I see it happening

• 42 martoon // May 17, 2016 at 1:11 PM

martoon // May 17, 2016 at 1:07 PM

OK here is the moment you’ve all been waiting for – the pre-season predictions:-

Poster Posit Points LC FAC In Out Top GS Goals

Essex Geordie Bill 8 60 7 4 4 3 Cisse 15
    Spellcheck 9 50 5 4 5 4 Mitrovic 18
    OneAlanShearer 4 60 6 8 6 6 Mitrovic 24
    Clarke_M 7 58 6 5 6 5 Mitrovic 28
    Fatman_joe 10 40 7 5 6 6 Perez 12
    bosamuelson 7 61 7 4 7 4 Mitrovic 16

I reckon Jack was nearest with a prediction of 15th place, 39 points and leading goal scorer Wynaldum with 8 goals – he was a bit out with cup predictions. If you disagree let me know.

132 martoon // May 17, 2016 at 1:08 PM

Well I spent ages formatting that only for the blog to take out leading spaces ?

• 43 Rotonda heights // May 17, 2016 at 1:12 PM

you’re hilarious, my sides are positively splitting.

I along with many, presumably Pochetinno too, thought townsend was a headless chicken, an english obertan if you will and I very quickly acknowledged he was on fire since joining.

secondly on Martinez when he went into everton first year they got 5th, into europe and scored the msot goals ever. Sadly it went downhill from there. I have to repeat this as you obviously didn’t absorb it before.

I don’t unlike you have a crystal ball, however, I can see throught the mists this very boring, repetitive, arrogant, smirking little prat dying to prove a point, when they are so obviously pointless. ‘The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr Brain has long since departed, hasn’t he, Betty?’

• 44 Blackley and Brownlie // May 17, 2016 at 1:13 PM

I note the “ifs” and “maybes” in your post at 25 where you no longer think free advertising is an issue. Wow. If we can sign Rafa, all Tyneside may be free and the life of the Toon may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the players and fans, all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of the perverted Makems.

• 45 magscar // May 17, 2016 at 1:13 PM

The major factor perhaps for Rafa is that he is being offered more influence than he has ever had anywhere and at a club which has clear untapped potential.

• 46 Blackley and Brownlie // May 17, 2016 at 1:15 PM

BTW, who is FunlovingExpress? Would he reveal himself?

• 47 funlovingexpress // May 17, 2016 at 1:15 PM

B and B the only way they could negotiate a transfer budget would be to say you get x amount plus what you sell.

It would be very hard to know exactly how much is available until we know how much we are getting off some of the players and also taking into account the wages of the sold player and incoming one.

What I do know is that I would hate to be a fan of any other championship club. None of their stars are safe if Benitez wants them.

The draw of Newcastle United would be enough but then add Rafa to that mix and seriously, who would want to stay at the club they are at?

How many are hoping and praying as we speak that the toon will move for them?

• 48 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 1:16 PM

John Tudor appears to have been closer, Martoon.
    The rotten know-nowt.

• 49 Harley // May 17, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Don’t agree with Shearer.
    Yes the team played well and yes if we’d been playing like that all season we’d be top 8. But to keep saying why did we not play like that all season is pretty obvious; we had Mclaren in charge. Shearer couldn’t galvanize them when he was in charge, it wasn’t until Hughton took charge that we started to look good.
    The players can’t win. If they’d rolled over and got a hiding they’d have been crucified but they didn’t, they tried their best to put in a good performance (which they have since Rafa came in) and they are still being criticised.
    Mclaren was totally out of his depth and should have been booted out months ago. It was his influence and tactics on the team that got us relegated. Rafa came in, got them organized, got them fit and instilled a bit of belief but it wasn’t quite enough in the end.

• 50 bettyswallocks // May 17, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Rotonda…… Please don’t think that I am in any way point scoring, gloating or rubbing your nose in the fact that most of what you say is proved inaccurate . I am genuinely concerned that your appraisal of Rafa will follow your normal trend.

• 51 funlovingexpress // May 17, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Blackley Im a fan of many many years and have used this alias for well over a decade.

There were reasons at the time (work related) that I adopted an alias and won’t go into that and have just kind of gotten used to it.

It’s pointless changing it now though as so many people recognize the name.

Maybe not here, but other places definately

• 52 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 1:21 PM

If someone I trust says they are negotiating the terms of a transfer pot I believe that is exactly what they are attempting to do.

• 53 funlovingexpress // May 17, 2016 at 1:22 PM

B and B I am in no way saying they are not. I am just saying it will be very difficult to do so.

• 54 Hail Wor Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Jib 5th 62pts 6 8 7 3 Mitrovic 19

Let’s all point and laugh at Jib’s prediction!

• 55 goommy // May 17, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Alan, I know you don’t like Ashley but seriously!!??

• 56 9 // May 17, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Glad I’ve caught you (if you’re still here ) – you were kind enough to offer advice on Sunday night when I was whingeing about Windows 10.
    My issue was (and still is, now I’m attempting to post again) Windows 10 keeps freezing while I’m typing, it just froze completely while typing this and I’ve had to start again. Cursor control is erratic, too. I don’t recall this happening with my old Windows 7, or Vista, whichever, which I would dearly love to retain but this is a new laptop and Windows have decided they “no longer support” those editions.

Maybe it is because of adverts, though none pop up visibly during or after the freezes, but it’s helpful to know somebody is managing fine with 10 – thanks.

• 57 hibbitt // May 17, 2016 at 1:34 PM

like others have said just hope they get a move on Rafa has all the cards the break clause the fans on his side other clubs sniffing if we take to long which would be normal for us or try to play hard ball all we will see is Rafa heading south

• 58 martoon // May 17, 2016 at 1:36 PM

BandB @48 – Maybe on league position but Jack (who I can’t remember posting much) I would say is closer on points and leading goal scorer.
    Hail Wor Ashley @54 a little unfair – most of us were miles out – far too ambitious!

• 59 Hail Wor Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Yeah, but not everybody likes to try and ridicule others for their past wrong predictions and drag up old posts.

• 60 sickandtired // May 17, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Shearer has every right to question Ashley’s intentions. He did the same to KK and everyone else, other than Houghton, has been a hand picked crony willing to accept his model. Even poor Houghton got done over despite being a supremely successful ‘stand in’ .

• 61 funlovingexpress // May 17, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Essex, windows 10 is actually pretty good. Those that struggle either have a poor correlation between graphics card, cpu and in some cases even motherboard or they have a system full of viruses that they weren’t aware of.

First thing first though make sure your bios is the latest edition. After that use ctrl alt dlt and task manager and get rid of all of your background processes.

Do that and it should improve immediately. Then you can reinstate the processes you want.

• 62 funlovingexpress // May 17, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Essex I had better point out that your laptop could just be to old to use it effectively.

There are ways around it like reducing the processes in the background, turning off cortana and using adblocker with google that would improve it definately but the easiest way is just to go back to windows 7.

• 63 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 2:06 PM

The free Windows 10 was basically a beta test to save a fortune on testing.
    Even installed on a brand new PC it took a while to run completely smoothly. As FLE says, on a laggy buggy old thing it is going to misfire.
    Windows 10 was Microsoft’s way of telling you to buy a new PC.

• 64 funlovingexpress // May 17, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Hail Wor Ashley, I had that recently somewhere else.

I forecast that Sunderland would lose their final 3 games.

He’s badgered me ever since. I am not bothered though, it’s water off a ducks back to me.

In fact I find it funny because he professes to be a toon fan and yet he can’t get his head around the fact that I actually EXPECT Sunderland to lose every game.

He keeps saying things like “no one listens to you, you proved you don’t know what you are talking about” etc, etc.

He just doesn’t get it.

I’m actually surprised he hasn’t followed me on here ha ha.

• 65 9 // May 17, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Thanks for your interest and advice, I presume it’s more directed at me than Essex, though. Sadly, being technologically illiterate, I can’t really understand your advice but thank you for the effort, sir.

The laptop was brand new in November, my old one was over 5 years old, so I don’t see how I could have picked up more viruses in 6 months than I did in 5 years but, hey, what do I know?

• 66 funlovingexpress // May 17, 2016 at 2:18 PM

press three keys together ctrl alt dlt
    click task bar
    you will see your processes.

Then you just temporarily disable them and see if it improves.

Forget updating bios as you might make a mistake if you don’t have basic knowledge and that could actually break it.

Install google as your browser because adblocker on that is the easiest out of all of them to use.

I’m free for a bit so can walk you through it

• 67 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 2:19 PM

You have a power setting issue
    Look at this

• 68 lesh // May 17, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Shearer’s being s pain. He’s still bitter about his snub and is hoping Rafa walks away.

I hope he’s wrong though

• 69 lochinvar // May 17, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Shearer’s comments were from yesterday.
    Latest Rafa news is from today

Keep up Alan please.