The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Another Dutchman Now Hints He Could Stay At Newcastle

1:14 pm, Tuesday, May 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

The three players we expect to want to leave Newcastle this summer and not want to play in the Championship next season are Gini Wijnaldum, Moussa Sissoko and Daryl Janmaat.

We were worried that Andros Townsend may also want to leave, but Andros squashed that rumor yesterday and it looks like there’s no way he will leave Newcastle if Rafa Benitez remains the manager.

daryl janmaat scored 5th spurs

Daryl Janmaat – after scoring Newcastle’s 5th goal on Sunday

Now Daryl Janmaat has been interviewed on nufcTV and this is what the Dutch International had to say:

“The club is the most important thing at the moment, but this club has to be in the Premier League.”

Yes, of course, Rafa did a great job and he is a great manager I think.”  “This is a big club and it needs a big manager, that is him – Rafa.”

It looks like Daryl may want to stay at the club if Rafa stays – and while he doesn’t say that specifically, those are good words the Dutch International says about the club.

Daryl had a good game on Sunday and scored a great 5th goal for Newcastle when he ran the length of the pitch and was played through brilliantly by Rolando Aarons in a quick fire counter attack.

And Rolando had only just scored Newcastle’s 4th goal.

The Dutchman hit the ball first time with his right foot and easily beat Hugo Lloris in the Spurs goal.

All of the Newcastle players were full of energy and fight on Saturday.

You have to wonder where that had been earlier in the season,  but of course we didn’t have a world-class manager at that time – we had a mediocre Championship manager.

Newcastle will need to sell at least one or two of our top players to get them off the wage bill and generate some transfer funds for Rafa to spend this summer.

But it’s a good sign that a lot of our top players want to stay – if Rafa stays.

Tags: Coaching · Daryl Janmaat · Newcastle News · nufcTV · Prayer · Premier League

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 Essex Geordie Bill // May 17, 2016 at 1:34 PM

To repeat what someone else said on this blog and I don’t remember the exact words.

Aarons is a permanent sick note and anyone who thinks he’ll be any good knows nowt about football which seems to be a big majority of the people on this blog.

Not my words or belief I hasten to add.

Oh and by the way when BandB mention the boar does she mean the flying variety that have been hovering over St James Park for the past few years.

• 2 hibbitt // May 17, 2016 at 1:34 PM

like others have said just hope they get a move on Rafa has all the cards the break clause the fans on his side other clubs sniffing if we take to long which would be normal for us or try to play hard ball all we will see is Rafa heading south

• 3 dok - the horrid colonial // May 17, 2016 at 1:36 PM

BandB,

how do you convince a boar to get in a sack?

very carefully id imagine lol

• 4 sickandtired // May 17, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Janmaat wouldn’t be a loss. He’s not a natural defender and he has very little end product for all the up field runs he makes. Puts a shift in, but we need more than that. Anita looked a better RB when drafted in and that says a lot.

• 5 anthc // May 17, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Aarons is far from proven and always injured. I’d have to question his attitude to as I have heard he likes the drink alot as does mbabu too. Potential to be decent footballers but also the potential to throw it all away.

• 6 twotonearmy // May 17, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Maybe I’m a little jaded but I dont see these players saying they’ll stay to be what we think it is.

If they say they want out then that is the same as handing in a transfer request. Asking to leave will waive their loyalty bonuses. Furthermore, if they say they want to stay then they will have a stronger bargaining position for a new contract with whatever team may try to buy them this summer.

All this talk about staying or believing in the club are just air to me until I see them walking out on the field in our colors in September.

• 7 Mag52 // May 17, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Firstly about Shearer’s comments. IMO he is rightly being cautious regarding Rafa agreeing to stay with us. NUFC fans sometimes get carried away on a wave of optimism, and the disappointment if it doesn’t work out is therefore so much harder to stomach.
    As a top manager, he is bound to be in demand Europe wide, so there’ll be no sitting around twiddling his thumbs for Rafa if he wants to get back into big time football.
    Then there is, of course, Ashley’s record here of making wrong decisions – no more needs be said on that.
    Regarding Janmaat staying on at the club, I’d be happy with that ONLY so long as Rafa commits himself to another season with us. He should be able to pass on some invaluable tips to the Dutchman on how to defend properly, and, hopefully, help him to fulfill his true potential.

• 8 Toontaff // May 17, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Get arrons signed up now !! We also need a few older heads for life in the championship to make sure of a swift return

• 9 Shadow_Shearer // May 17, 2016 at 2:16 PM

The rate we going at, if rafa stays, all or most the players stay, we will be promoted from championship, between half & three quarters of the season. & prob winning every game as convincingly as tottenham.

• 10 9 // May 17, 2016 at 2:18 PM

Somewhat like 2tone @5, I think Ed has read more into the lad’s remarks than is actually there.

• 11 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Mags52

Who would really be surprised if a “sticking point” story emerges later today?
    We are waiting for it.

• 12 9 // May 17, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Mag @6 A little unduly pessimistic perhaps?

• 13 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 2:22 PM

If you have fairly new lappy , it will probs be a power setting issue.
    See if the link below helps

• 14 Essex Geordie Bill // May 17, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Martoon

My prediction for next season

!st 138 points Top scorer Armstrong 52 goals

• 15 Essex Geordie Bill // May 17, 2016 at 2:24 PM

That should read 1st

• 16 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 2:31 PM

If you cannot find power settings in your start menu they will be in your control panel.

• 17 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Posit Points LC FAC In Out Top GS Goals
    1st 99 3 4 7 7 arma 20

If Raffa stays, thats my predictions next season

• 18 martoon // May 17, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Essex Geordie Bill @13 – Lol – I will do predictions just before next season although I suspect a lot of them could be similar to yours 🙂
    Regarding Shearer – to be fair he gave that interview yesterday before the news broke overnight.

• 19 Ron Knee // May 17, 2016 at 2:44 PM

martoon

Re the poll: A fine effort, sir. Well done!

• 20 martoon // May 17, 2016 at 2:50 PM

Ron Knee @18 cheers – I’ll post it again tonight when there are different bloggers on. I was narked that I spent ages converting an Excel file to a spaced tab text file and straightening the columns only for Ed’s blog to completely balls it up – ho-hum.
    Hopefully I’ll do one just before next season when we know the manager and the team – thought I suspect there will be a lot of 1st place predictions!

• 21 martoon // May 17, 2016 at 2:51 PM

*although

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // May 17, 2016 at 3:08 PM

FunlovingExpress
    I thought you might be a drifter from Toonsy’s old blog; a play on the Reality Train they used to run over there.

• 23 expatmag // May 17, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Would anyine take a 34 year okd Michael Carrick fir a couple of seasons?

• 24 Belfast // May 17, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Shearer is rightly sceptical. I remember he was the man to lead us forward or something along those lines until of course he handed over his plans to Llambias and was promply turfed out.

Very similar situation with Rafa actually.

• 25 Belfast // May 17, 2016 at 3:23 PM

And I would guess Rafas plan and guarantees costs a lot more money than Shearers did.

Still very skeptical myself tbh

• 26 Mister Tuff // May 17, 2016 at 3:29 PM

expat – afternoon – Carrick – no thanks – he would not come anyway.
    What about your man Obertron – being shown the door.

• 27 WWSBRD // May 17, 2016 at 3:31 PM

martoon
    Rivere was never given a chance! Haha am impressed u keep that though well done

How long ago a year feels! I really thought 13th was possible! The fool I was

• 28 benjohnsen // May 17, 2016 at 3:33 PM

One thing is too give a new manager at the time in Shearer full control over the club. Rafa is a proven manager and has proven the short time he has been here that he can get more results than any of our 10 previous coaches combined. Imagine having Rafa from the start of 2016.

• 29 Jail for Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Blackas,
    If we are winning trophies, competing at the top while playing good football with a top manager in charge who cares about the finances, they are only an issue when we are deliberately being held back as an excuse for them.
    Jibberish,
    You’ve been pulling people up for their previous comments lately. I wouldn’t if I was you

Jib // Nov 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Unlike Pardew , McClaren doesn’t need the money and will walk if he thinks he cannot do a job , he has done it before.
    Yes Jib, McLaren really looked like he was about to admit the job was a bit too big for him while he held his head in his hands.

• 30 Munster Mag // May 17, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Anyone read Richard Keys article re Rafa? Toolbox.

• 31 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Jail
    I’m a bit confused the point you are making.

That comment by me was the morning after we’d been whupped at home 0-3 by Leicester – the following week we lost 5-1 away to Palace – the clamour was rising – I still said if he thought he couldn’t do it SM would walk – the week after we beat LPool at home 2-0 the next week we beat Spurs 1-2 at WHL !
    Crisis over many thought .
    Corner turned many thought .
    How wrong they were.
    Your point still eludes me.

• 32 CAC // May 17, 2016 at 5:46 PM

If Rafa stays I have no problem with any player staying if Rafa feels he can work with that player. I won’t be crying if Janmaat, Gini, or Sissoko leave, but if Rafa wants them and they want to stay I’m OK with it. That being said I haven’t seen anything in this article or others from Sissoko, Wijnaldum, or Janmaat saying they clearly want to stay. I think all three along with one or two others will be very open to leaving if the right offer comes along.

previous post: Alan Shearer Still Thinks Rafa Will Walk Away From Newcastle