The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez Can Bring The Very Best Out Of This Youngster

3:33 pm, Tuesday, May 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 228 Comments

We have been very impressed with some of the Newcastle players who have come out since Sunday and said they want to stay on Tyneside for next season.

It seems a lot of that has to do with the possibility that the great Rafa Benitez will still be our manager at that time.

Rolando+Aarons+Newcastle+United+v+Tottenham+IGR-jBSpK1Ll

Rolando Aarons brilliantly scores the fourth Newcastle goal on Sunday

Rolando Aarons signed his first professional contract with Newcastle in April two years ago and it was for two years – but Newcastle probably have a one year option on that, which they will no doubt pick up this summer.

This is what the 20 year has said in his interview with the Chronicle today:

“Yeah, I love Newcastle. You can tell by my celebration how much it means to me.”

“I want to stay here. I’m not focused on contracts I just want to play games and score goals, that’s all that matters to me.”

“Next season there will be more games so there’s more opportunities. I am looking to take them more than I did last season.”

“Everybody wants to be here. You could tell against Spurs that nobody was thinking about the summer.” “We want to put performances in for the fans. Everybody is up for it here.”

“It is tougher than the Premier League in terms of games, there’s two a week. We just have to get through it and get straight back up.”

“We needed to restore our pride after being relegated and it was a good way to end the season. We hit form too late.”

“Being relegated never does you any favors, but we just have to deal with it. We have quality players and we have to bounce back.”

“It’s taken 38 games in a season for me but I finally got there and got a goal.”  “I am happy with my individual and team performance but it does not make up for relegation.”

“We just have to focus on next season and get back to the Premier League.”

Rolando has suffered from a number of hamstring and other injuries since making his sensational debut  a couple of years ago in pre-season, but we are hoping with Rafa in charge his injury problems are over with.

Roland is an excellent young player, as he showed on Sunday and that was some goal from the 20 year-old, when he quite brilliantly smashed the ball into the net from a  narrow angle, as several Spurs defenders were wondering what was going on.

It’s exciting to think what Rafa Benitez can do for this Jamaican born winger next season.

Anything and everything seems possible.

Tags: Championship · Contracts · Management · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth · Premier League

228 responses so far ↓

• 1 Blackley and Brownlie // May 17, 2016 at 3:45 PM

If we are winning trophies, competing at the top while playing good football with a top manager in charge who cares about the finances …

Yeah Jail. But we aren’t winning trophies, competing at the top or playing good football … we can’t even win away games other than on very rare occasions. We haven’t been able to get results away from home for many a year. What a disgrace.

Sound finances go hand in hand with a well run, successful club. So I for one care about the finances. It is the finances that will hopefully give us the edge over other clubs on the Championship. It is the finances that will help persuade Rafa to stay or leave.

• 2 Belfast // May 17, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Wwsbrd yer predictions are rubbish.

• 3 Hail Wor Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Previous thread:

Would definitely have Carrick if he’d come. Ideal player to show Shelvey how to play that role properly.

Him added to Tiote, Shelvey and Colback would be comfortably best CM the Championship has seen.

• 4 JP...from The Rock // May 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Very surprised and pleased that many of our top players are intent on staying. If Rafa stays I can see them staying and forming the backbone of this team. We can build and grow together and then really have a go for it in the league when we are back in the Premiership and with stability at last.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Blackas,
    No we are not, but if Rafa signs with all his assurances tied up in a watertight contract, I believe we are about to. in fact if he signs I’m going to get a season ticket.

• 6 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Blackley

Premiss 1 = “Sound finances go hand in hand with a well run, successful club”

Premiss 2 = “We have sound finances.”

Ergo ….. “We are a well-run and successful club.”

It’s sound logic.

• 7 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 3:57 PM

It thought the sound finances were going to give us the edge over other clubs in the Premiership.
    That was what it said on the tin, wasn’t it?

• 8 Graeme // May 17, 2016 at 4:03 PM

BandB @ 6 – Priceless, just love it.

• 9 BeeGuy // May 17, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Nobody in the squad will; say they cannot wait until they get out of NUFC. They will do that once they have a firm offer from elsewhere. Then it “was so great at NUFC, but it was an offer I could not refuse. I’d love to come back someday.”

• 10 giimps // May 17, 2016 at 4:16 PM

If Rafa does stay , I can see a waiting list for season tickets in the near future, if we go up and play as well as we can I can see a turnaround in the whole ethos of the club, it’s started now by the look of it……where else on earth would you see the players and manager applauded off the pitch after being relegated………..one club in turkey burned their ground in protest at relegation……set fire to the stands and had a pyre in the middle of the pitch, we sing for the manager to stay and make us a force again…….I was going to give up my daughters season ticket but I’m keeping hold of it for when she’s older……they might not be so easy to get hold of in a couple of seasons ,and there’s more chance of her getting to a few games next season if they’re on Fridays and Wednesday’s ……come on mikey, do the right thing by the club, the players and fans…..if you don’t want to sell, give Rafa the keys and let him run it for you ??

• 11 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 17, 2016 at 4:18 PM

@giimps

I remember there used to be waiting lists for tickets under Robson and Keegan

Now you can get a match day ticket online for near enough every game !

• 12 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 17, 2016 at 4:20 PM

I know its a downer that we are down but is anyone else looking forward to getting some games on a Friday night for a change ??

• 13 Mister Tuff // May 17, 2016 at 4:23 PM

If Mr Tubbs signs up Rafa long term- gives him total control and some loot – the previously principalled Geordie/fan will not give a stuff about what Tubbs/SD get up to.
    Forgotten will be the far eastern sweat shops, Dodgy dealings with Wonga, zero hours etc etc.
    Folk will even admit to buying tat in his shops – new shell suit for their summer break in Magaluf or visiting relatives on the Costa del Crime..
    Prinipals – what are those.

• 14 Mister Tuff // May 17, 2016 at 4:24 PM

principals

• 15 giimps // May 17, 2016 at 4:25 PM

I’m looking forward to a few away games this season, I went to a few the last time we were down as we get more allocation and it’s normally a mint day, win,lose or draw…..I remember Chris hughton being what I thought was overly defensive ,playing 2 holding midfielders vs 10 men ,we only drew the game and I slaughtered him after the game….but then he got us straight back up and now he’s a hero…….Rafa will be the same when he does the same

• 16 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 17, 2016 at 4:29 PM

@giimps

Yeah being tactically aware none of our managers have ever seemed to get the balance right its either too attacking or too defensive

Rafa will make sure we defend and we will no longer give away silly goals or get pumped by 4 or more goals and I am happy to watch us be organised for once !!

We wont be all out attack under him but we will still be good to watch and we will more games than we will lose thats for sure

• 17 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 4:31 PM

My older lads are saying they would go back Tuff…but not buy a shirt until Wonga is off it.
    There will be a rush back from the refugees who will feel their club has been liberated. if not from Ashley then from the most iniquitous of his policies.

• 18 Shadow_Shearer // May 17, 2016 at 4:32 PM

What a story it will be if benitez stays, takes us back to premiership & wins trophies.

The night is darkest before dawn.
    The black & white knights will rise!

• 19 giimps // May 17, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Bandb,
    That’s the way I feel about Wronga, I refuse to have it on anything and will not buy anything endorsing the brand.
    If we keep Rafa and get rid of Wronga there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

• 20 Blackley and Brownlie // May 17, 2016 at 4:41 PM

BandB
    Your logic is flawed. Successful clubs have sound finances. But not every club with sound finances is successful. NUFC built a substantial war chest and then decided to pish it into the wind when it could have translated it into footballing success.

Your knowledge of computers is better than mine. Mine is crap. That’s why I don’t pontificate on technology. There’s a lesson in there for you somewhere.

• 21 Shadow_Shearer // May 17, 2016 at 4:42 PM

LCBP

I agreed. We would love to see good attacking football, but we haven’t won a trophy in half a century. I’d rather play organised football, win trophies & have a tactically clever manager like benitez than play attractive football & not win trophies.

• 22 Graeme // May 17, 2016 at 4:42 PM

I still wear my Brown Ale shirt – wouldn’t even contemplate a w***a shirt.

• 23 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Blackley

Can I refer you to Beginning Logic by EJ Lemmon.
    It is the standard text for first year undergraduates.
    I’m willing to bet you’ve not read it.

• 24 dok - the horrid colonial // May 17, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Under Benitez and back in the premiership we could easily get 60k a week local fans never mind getting the glory hunters and foreign fans…

I take exception to that… wtf are you on?

• 25 dok - the horrid colonial // May 17, 2016 at 4:54 PM

unless you meant getting foreign fans a good thing..

and FYI, I do not consider myself a fan, I am a supporter, been so for almost 20 years…. thru thick and thin…

• 26 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Graeme

Broon Army!

• 27 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Maybe we can do both. Play attractive, attacking football under Rafa and win something.

• 28 dok - the horrid colonial // May 17, 2016 at 5:02 PM

G2,

a bit hurt that my fellow north american didn’t give me a rating yesterday lol

• 29 MacToon // May 17, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Mister Tuff // May 17, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Prinipals – what are those.

================

Not all previously principled Geordie/fans Tuff, I can assure you of that.

• 30 Graeme // May 17, 2016 at 5:04 PM

BandB – Without a doubt lol.

• 31 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:04 PM

My hopes are all on Rafa staying. A top European manager only comes along once a decade or so for us. We’ve had Keegan, Robson, and Rafa over the last 25 years. Let’s keep this man Ashley.

• 32 WWSBRD // May 17, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Belfast
    I direct u towards the yearly Steven Taylor injury sweepstakes my friend

• 33 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Ah yes dok. Harrumph. I was getting around to it. The hedgehogs took longer to deworm than I thought.
    dok: has developed a Western drawl but still keeps on top of his footy. The cowboy hat and spurs are put aside for important matches. All in all a top overseas supporter. 7.8/10
    MacToon: a sharp incisive eye or two. Demands integrity from his club. Wears the thong of Justice well. 7.8/10

• 34 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Shadow_Shearer: a sensible approach together with a no nonsense attitude. Shadow reminds me of some of the old timers who don’t waste words. Well done Shadow. 7.5/10

• 35 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 17, 2016 at 5:11 PM

@Dok

I apologise I never meant it in a bad way ! Actually come down to games every season but I am from Scotland !

I meant to say Glory hunting fans in foreign lands you know the type that last season supported Chelsea and now support Leicester and the season after City we need some of those guys as well!!

• 36 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:12 PM

And of course:
    Blackley and Brownlie: a long time supporter. Has taken a lot of hits and disppointments. The hull is battered but the engine still runs well. Keeps his eye on the prize. 7.8/10

• 37 lesh // May 17, 2016 at 5:12 PM

Is there any possibility of the Rafa will he won’t he being strung out to sell season tickets and renewals and when the renew by date’s lapsed, Charmless claims he couldn’t get Rafa over the line?

• 38 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 17, 2016 at 5:13 PM

See Celtic are in talks with Brendan Rodgers according to Sky Sports would have been a useful back up plan if Benitez turned us down!!

• 39 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party: an excellent supporter. One of many that this blog is built on. Shows a keen tactical mind and keeps reminding us what the footy should look like. 8/10

• 40 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:15 PM

lesh: I see a budding Official Club Journo in the making here. However he has some time to wait as I’m still on the beat. Stay ready lesh. 7.6/10.

• 41 dok - the horrid colonial // May 17, 2016 at 5:16 PM

G2,

wearing boots and spurs is akin to me wearing a smb shirt… and ive a New York accent, not a hillbilly drawl, thank you 🙂

G2 rating on that post 4.2/100

• 42 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 17, 2016 at 5:17 PM

@GeordieTwo

Cheers will take that !!

Just hope Rafa stays and gets his way so everyone can just enjoy winning games and get the buzz back for the Toon !

• 43 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Setting up base camp for the White Water Canoe Tour of 2016. Have sent beermonkey to scout for the nearest pub errrm river that is.

• 44 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:18 PM

That’s not all that bad a rating for me dok. BandB wants to hit me on the head with a hammer!

• 45 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:19 PM

Spains squad was selected today. I think now the spanish fa will look towards del bosques replacement. As a result, i believe we will know about raffa by the weekend. I just get the feeling the spanish will want to line up the new bloke sooner rather than later.

• 46 Offkey // May 17, 2016 at 5:19 PM

Big shout to Martoon for the predictions table……

• 47 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:20 PM

G2

If you find a pub called “the river” then job done?

• 48 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:23 PM

No, we were looking for one called the White Water Canoe YCMIU mate……

• 49 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Although I do like your thinking there. I’ll text beermonkey……

• 50 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 17, 2016 at 5:24 PM

@YouCouldn’tMakeItUp

Thats what worries me I dont really see other stand out candidates for Spain at international level….

Although his “failing” at Madrid might mean he might not get considered for them

• 51 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Offkey: this man is simply offkey. However having said that I still like his tune. 7.6/10

• 52 9 // May 17, 2016 at 5:26 PM

You couldn’t @ 45: you have nailed the only realistic (and far preferable) option for Rafa. O00-er!

• 53 dok - the horrid colonial // May 17, 2016 at 5:27 PM

LCBP,

no worries… its difficult enough being the one of the only toon supporters here…

• 54 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Rafa’s a Brit now. They won’t call him up. He’s even developing a Geordie accent. No, he’s not the right man for the Spain job. Talks continuing (don’t bore him to death Ashley just give him what he wants).

• 55 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:28 PM

LCBP

Well, managers in spain often come and go and come again to the same club. Its that strange rotational chairman thing they do, if one likes you, the next one might not, and any excuse is enough. So that might not work against him.

You’re right in that there doesn’t seem to be another stand out candidate, but i do think it would be the ONLY job he would knock us back for (as i was saying yesterday) because he has been there, done that everywhere else. Heres hoping spain fancy someone else

• 56 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:29 PM

I could always be wrong either way…..he might prefer Watford :O

• 57 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:29 PM

9: Very small name fails to cover up a budding blossoming blogger. Does some nice numerical work also. 7.7/10

• 58 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Ahhhhh! What’s that YCMIU? Watford? Ahhhhh!!! That’s not acceptable mate. I may revoke your blog rating for bringing that up!

• 59 Bobbybee // May 17, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Aarons is a bit of an enigma. When he first came to the Academy he was one of those i rated with a chance, along with Arma, Mbabu and Callum Roberts. No question he has the skill and pace to make it, but he seems to blow hot and cold. However, with Rafa in charge, I think he has the chance to make the big breakthrough and next season will be the making of him – of all of them in fact. Granted Roberts is taking longer than i expected, but he still has it in him to make the breakthrough. Good winger, with pace and skill, but with the brain to find the killer pass. I hope we persist with him.

• 60 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:33 PM

G2

You haven’t given me a rating! It’s harsh revoking what I don’t have ?

• 61 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:34 PM

😮

• 62 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Bobbybee: tends to frustrate some of the other bloggers with some of his rants but then so do I. And look at my rating: 5.0! Given time Bobby can be a good hard working blogger for the cause. 7/10

• 63 9 // May 17, 2016 at 5:36 PM

…………….but Rafa knows he will be needing to decide one way or the other very quickly and, as there is no current Spain vacancy, WE’RE IN, LADS!

• 64 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:37 PM

I gave you one yesterday you greedy man! Harrumph. I have it here somewhere. YCMIU. Hmmm. You got a very respectable 7.8! Something about reminding me of another strange blogger we used to have on here called Markaccus.

• 65 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Oh, and I’ve decided to lower jespers blog rating to 3.0. Harrumph!!!

• 66 Bobbybee // May 17, 2016 at 5:40 PM

G2, tends to upset some supporters with the harsh truth maybe. 😉

• 67 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:42 PM

G2

Ah right i didnt see it, sorry.

Del bosque is finished with spain after the euros. I think that the replacement will be lined up before the tournament.

• 68 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:43 PM

That’s what I’ve always thought Bobby. Still, as Senior Official Club Journo getting at the harsh truth is what I’m all aboot.

• 69 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:44 PM

I am surprised and delighted with that rating. As a primarilly rugby union man, i thought i might be restricted to less than 7

• 70 Bobbybee // May 17, 2016 at 5:45 PM

G2, you deserve a far higher score than 5.0 marra. Your comedic input should give you at least a 9.

• 71 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:48 PM

I am also shocked that i get .8 more than bobby. Since i believed we would be relegated several games before the end of the season, i thought it made me a “plastic” 😉

• 72 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Spain can have Vincente Campillo but not Rafa. Rafa is ours.

• 73 swemag // May 17, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Never have a relegated crowd been so positive.

• 74 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Bobby, like me has things to work on YCMIU. That rugby business is a bit suspect however. Very well, I’ll look into that and get back to you about your rating….

• 75 hibbitt // May 17, 2016 at 5:50 PM

just wish we could get Rafa signed up every day that goes by the more chance of another club / county stepping in and pinching Rafa from under our noses

why does it always take this club so long to do anything

• 76 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Sewmag

You have to admit, raffa staying with proper control (if it happens) is one hell of a silver lining!

• 77 Charlie in the Gallowgate // May 17, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Rumours circulating – Carr is on his way OOT!

• 78 Bobbybee // May 17, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Has anybody else seen Roberts play? I’ve always thought he has it in him and given he’ll have Rafa bringing him along, do you think he can still make it? He’s still young and many players burst onto the scene later than their compatriots, I really hope Rafa takes him ubder his wing and brings out that undoubted talent.

• 79 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:51 PM

A yes swemag.
    swemag: is he really swe? We don’t know. However he does have the good sense to pop up on here from time to time. 7.6/10

• 80 9 // May 17, 2016 at 5:51 PM

YCMIU
    I wasn’t aware of that, so thanks. I reckon, however, Spain would have to approach (slyly) Rafa very quickly to stop him committing to his new best mate, our owner (+52,000) very shortly

• 81 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:51 PM

G2

No, i will hapilly keep the 7.8 thanks. You rated me purely on blog stuff. It’s not fair to take it away now for external factors :p

• 82 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:52 PM

hibbit: comes from the old school. Gives me a proper good telling off. Probably also wants to hit me on the head with a hammer. Hmmmm. It’s alarming how many on here want to do that. 7.6.10.

• 83 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Yep. My point exactly. Thats why I believe we will know about raffa by the weekend. Fingers crossed.

• 84 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:54 PM

No, no YCMIU now that you mentioned I’m happy to look into it. If you notice beermonkey going through your sock drawer pay no attention. It’s how we do business.

• 85 Bobbybee // May 17, 2016 at 5:54 PM

YCMIU. Unless you said we were down and guaranteed to drop into division 1 the following season, then the plastic wasn’t aimed at you. Read what i write, not what the clowns tell you I’ve written. They do have a tendency to twist things when their argument is shot down in flames. 😉

• 86 swemag // May 17, 2016 at 5:55 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp

For sure, we have the hope of someone running the club like a proper football club. Already looking forward to next season to see what the squad will look like. Arma and Aarons getting into the team hopefully.

Would love to see more of Mbabu as well.

• 87 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Charlie

Yeah Carr is supposed to be stepping down. I think it’s if his own accord, though. At 71 he has probably had enough. Last few seasons have not exactly been his finest moments.

• 88 9 // May 17, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Hibbit@75 Have patience, man. It’s only been 48 hours since our season ended! We’re likely discussing a 3-yr contract, of vital importance to both sides: 48 hours!!

• 89 hibbitt // May 17, 2016 at 5:59 PM

GeordieTwo

i have soft spot for canada i worked on the great lakes for couple of years in the 70’s beautiful place would love to go back sometime

• 90 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 5:59 PM

But strike while the iron’s hot Ashley man! And don’t take that literally! You could poke the poor mans eye out. Harrumph…..

• 91 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Bobby

Well fair enough, but i did at one point say that we could languish in the championship for a while if drastic changes were not made. If rafa walks, AND we dont get someone like Bruce, then that could still be the reality, with an also very real chance of eventually dropping another tier in a few years if things are not sorted. If raffa stays, or we get a more than competent guy if he doesnt, i would be stunned if we didnt bounce straight back.

• 92 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 6:01 PM

* and we DO get someone like bruce. Confusing typo, sorry

• 93 hibbitt // May 17, 2016 at 6:01 PM

try telling that to other clubs
    it wont take them as long if they want him

• 94 giimps // May 17, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Just been on Totalsport that Carr is understood to be leaving the set up at Newcastle ……please let the door hit you on your way out gramps

• 95 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 6:03 PM

To clear that mess up…

Raffa = instant return to prem.
    Raffa walks, decent replacement = see above
    Raffa walks, Bruce or similar = decay.

• 96 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 6:03 PM

You have very good taste hibbit. The Great Lakes are great. Used to live near one myself for a few years. Very nice country. Northern Ontario is beautiful to travel through in autumn.

• 97 magscar // May 17, 2016 at 6:05 PM

Given our history and pundits like Shearer being negative people are going to get nervous as it drags on. 48 hours ( is it only that ?) isn’t long though and there is much to be finalised. However the longer it goes on the more worrying some club/offer coming out of left field becomes.

I still believe we are favourite but would like the deal done so we can relax and oh of course – all the talk of who stays and goes can go on in earnest 🙂

• 98 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 6:05 PM

G2

“The great lakes are great” surely if they were only average, they would be called “The Average Lakes” 😀

• 99 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 6:06 PM

giimps: makes some very shrewd comments. Comes at it from a different angle. Brings us a fresh take. 7.5/10

• 100 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Well, we tried The Mediocre Lakes for a while YCMIU. I didn’t like it. They’re much too big to ignore.

• 101 9 // May 17, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Hibbitt@93

There are, in my opinion, no Premier clubs foreseeable and realistically about to look at Rafa, I would be happy to hear your specific views.

• 102 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 6:09 PM

….and i doubt many would want to visit “the mediocre lakes”

• 103 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Spot on magscar. I already have my list. It’s just waiting to burst forth. Yes, I realize everybody wants to see it but not until we have Rafa all signed up proper like!

• 104 magscar // May 17, 2016 at 6:09 PM

sad news for those who like alt-country/Americana music Guy Clark has died – good songwriter and performer
    RIP

• 105 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Sorry…. meant to type “The Mundane Lakes”

• 106 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Where’s your list YCMIU? Is it ready to burst forth? No, I thought not. Too busy following rugby are we? Hmmm…..

• 107 Blackley and Brownlie // May 17, 2016 at 6:10 PM

BandB boasts she’s read the text book on logic for first year students who have no previous knowledge of the subject. Now she’s an authority. It reminds me of when I bought a magazine “Samsung for beginners” and I thought I was ready to join the geek squad. Woo hoo.

• 108 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 6:12 PM

G2

My list is not ready yet. It is hard to draw one up when you have to think of realistic championship targets. The shall be now bursting forth in the near future

• 109 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 6:14 PM

I didn’t say I’d read it Blackley.
    It is a beginners book.
    Would that imply I’d read no further?
    Silly point.
    Silly man.

• 110 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Blackley

She actually said or even suggested NONE of that. She merely drew your attention to the book.

• 111 hibbitt // May 17, 2016 at 6:15 PM

i dont have any specific club in mind but what i do know , if we take to long other club / countries will be interested and Rafa will be gone
    he will only let them string him a long for so long

• 112 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 6:16 PM

BandB

Sorry, i did not realise you were still here to defend yourself.

• 113 magscar // May 17, 2016 at 6:19 PM

It’s nice to think that just because we might get Rafa the Blog isn’t going to become an oasis of peace – still scope for differences of opinion

Ed will be happy as well – arguments are good for posts if not always the readers 😉

• 114 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 6:19 PM

It’s okay Mark 🙂
    The mood is remarkable in the circumstances.
    Reconciliation not recrimination I say.

• 115 9 // May 17, 2016 at 6:21 PM

H@111 I can’t agree, unfortunately, with any suggestion that NUFC are “stringing him along”. Get real, mate.

• 116 Average_Contents // May 17, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Fcuk reconciliation I say.

Fat slug out!

Only joking….about the first bit though.

• 117 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Ahhhh! What’s this aboot stringing Rafa along? Who said that? Under no circumstances can we string him along.. Loose lips sink ships. No mention of stringing anything until Rafa is properly signed.

• 118 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 6:25 PM

AC

You hit the snail on the head 🙂

• 119 hibbitt // May 17, 2016 at 6:25 PM

not sure what you mean by get real

but in case you hadn’t noticed this lot aren’t exactly the most trustworthy of people

• 120 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 17, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Good article on how Benitez would look to be involved with transfers not everyone will be a success but no manager gets them 100% Fergie and Wenger have had some shockers but got a lot of amazing ones as well

Have read a few good articles where Benitez had fallouts with Liverpool owners over missed players and the list included , Aguero , Alves, Suarez , Bale, Ramsay and Barry all before they got their big moves !

• 121 Ron Knee // May 17, 2016 at 6:27 PM

G2

I hope the Awards ceremony will be held in Shirebrook. Master of ceremonies: Yoan Gouffran?

• 122 giimps // May 17, 2016 at 6:28 PM

There’s a reporter on Totalsport who says that Rafa may not want the Spain job because of the political nature of the position, interesting take, del bosque has done well keeping the status quo but not everybody has the luck and foresight to pull it off.
    With any luck he will see us as a better project than the Spain job, maybe wait a few years till someone else fails rather than come in and try and takenover from one of the most successful Spain managers ever…. Along the lines of Moyes and Manure….a poisoned chalice but filled with gold…… I’m hoping he doesn’t fancy the part time nature of it too…..he’s too much of a workaholic for that ……hopefully

• 123 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 6:29 PM

G2

Did I say I’d hit you with a hammer?

• 124 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 6:29 PM

BandB

I was talking earlier about the strange positive mood… if raffa stays with proper control,it is a fantastic silver lining.
    It will take a long time to forget the disgrace that has come before, though. A VERY long time.

• 125 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Yes you did BandB. I was trying to establish what kind of hammer when I suddenly had to quell a small honey badger rebellion……

• 126 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Or possibly it was a guitar lesson…. Oh and pay no attention to YCMIU. Apparently he has abandoned us for rugby….Sniff….

• 127 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Mark,

My philosophy is “show you are sorry, mean it, don’t do it again.”
    Grudges eat away at ourselves more than others.

• 128 Munster Mag // May 17, 2016 at 6:33 PM

I don’t think rafa will get the spain job – I don’t think he will play the sort of sexy football that spain like to play. I was amazed when he got the Rael Madrid job and it was obvious he wouldn’t last. This nufc project would be his last job in football – maybe a 6 year stint to get us competing in the top 6/7. Would be great. Be nice to become a club / team that knew how to defend a lead and grind out draws when needed.

• 129 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 6:33 PM

I have to leave for a bit. Apparently there’s a crisis on Moose Creek (I like to watch Yukon Gold)…..

• 130 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Sorry G2

It was petulant.
    I was blowing my nose on my tear-stained acceptance speech at the time.
    I meant cosh, anyway.
    Sorry.

• 131 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 6:36 PM

And my philosophy (much copied I have to admit) is wear the thong of your own choice. Be manly if you are a true Geordie fanatic of the correct persuasion. We have some top, top bloggers on here. Let’s keep it that way. Right then, I’m lowering jesper’s rating to 2.5 before I go….

• 132 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 6:37 PM

The hammer idea came from my from Joan.
    She is studying pataphysical science in the home…for beginners.

• 133 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Quite all right BandB. I have to accept the occasional hammer heed for my troubling ways.

• 134 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 6:38 PM

my friend Joan…obvs

• 135 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 6:39 PM

I once studied pataphysics but it was too darned complicated for me. Now I just blog…..

• 136 9 // May 17, 2016 at 6:39 PM

H@119 I mean what everybody means by “get real”, as you well know, but, as you have said you are not sure, here it is:
    Your comment suggests you think NUFC (Mike Ashley, our owner) may well not be sincere in his reported attempts to sign Rafa by giving Rafa everything Rafa requires. I find this remarkably uninsightful: Ashley has done dubious things in the past, therefore he will now be dubious. Don’t you think the penny has dropped with the man? Do you think reports of a constructive 2+hour meeting are fraudulent, or Ashley is being fraudulent? Do you assume the man is so thick he hasn’t been able, after relegation, to work out his previous ideas are obviously massively wrong? Do you think, because you don’t like what he has done to NUFC ( we all agree on this) that your mind is made up and everything he does in the present (and future, no doubt) is necessarily and obviously bad? Can you open your mind a little, mate?

• 137 Bobbybee // May 17, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Well, Ashley did say he’d carry on until he gets it right. 😉 Wasn’t expecting this range of time though! This really is his best chance to ‘get it right’ and probably his last. Personally I think he’ll take this chance because it’s a no lose situation for him. I also think we’ll bounce straight back at the first attempt. I hope the mackems cling on with the nails for one more season as well, so we can return the favour. They are the new Wigan without any question.

• 138 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Bobby

Hippo heed will have them in another relgation dog fight next season. If i were one of the unwashed, i would be concerned about where the 4-6 points they usually get off us are coming from. It might be what costs them survival. And if they do hold on, they still wont be able to rely on those points off us the following season, because we will be a massively different prospect by then

• 139 hibbitt // May 17, 2016 at 7:02 PM

ashley will have to earn my respect because of his past dealings / handling of this club and its fans till the deals done i don’t trust hih one inch just what makesyou so sure he has changed and if he has its only taken 9 years not before time in my opinion

• 140 WWSBRD // May 17, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Bobby
    No lose situation? U not been paying attention to the bank balance talk mate?

• 141 WWSBRD // May 17, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Also Sunderland will likely spend a lot of money and BFS will buy decent PL proven players, I reckon they will be mid table next season

• 142 9 // May 17, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Rafael “Rafa” Benítez Maudes (born 16 April 1960) is a Spanish football coach currently managing Newcastle United. He is the only manager in history to have won the UEFA Cup, UEFA Super Cup, UEFA Champions League and the FIFA Club World Cup. (Wiki)
    …..and somebody thinks this man is capable of being strung along in discussions about football club management!

• 143 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Never fear.
    Only an idiot would think that.

• 144 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 7:17 PM

No idiots at this club.
    Therefore it won’t happen.
    Easy.

• 145 clinath@ed // May 17, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Has he signed yet? Can we start believing yet?

• 146 Ron Knee // May 17, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Mark Douglas:-

Not expecting any form of announcement today, we’re hearing. Talks about the budget are ongoing and lawyers could get involved in formalising any arrangement by the weekend.

It’s “as you were” for today at least. The mood remains “positive”.

• 147 Jail for Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Ashley couldn’t be so stupid to make the same mistake again…
    He’s a self made billionaire he can’t be stupid….
    Of course he wants success a successful Newcastle is a successful SD…….
    He’s a winner, he would love to see us competing at the top…….

• 148 Jail for Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 7:33 PM

I don’t think the budget will be the real sticking point but who gets sold when the club think they’re at their peak value.

• 149 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Jail

Most clubs reserve the right to sell a player at top value, whatever the manager thinks.
    The issue for our managers and coaches has been that they have had no say over a replacement.

• 150 Blackley and Brownlie // May 17, 2016 at 7:36 PM

“I didn’t say I’d read it Blackley.
    It is a beginners book.”

Perhaps you should read it if you haven’t, BandB. There’s nothing like getting a solid grounding in a subject, especially if you want to flaunt your expertise. You were a beginner once I take it?

• 151 clinath@ed // May 17, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Thanks Ron…..ill go back to bed then.

• 152 sing in the corner // May 17, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Never fear, Rafa has been bitten by the Geordie love bug.
    Nothing that a swift course of antibiotics can’t sort out mind.

• 153 clinath@ed // May 17, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Bandb at 149.
    Agreed, but surely the amount of money sloshing around the prem, makes this strategy redundant? The amount of money gained in a sale vs the risk of lost prem status? (Sounds familiar)

• 154 dok - the horrid colonial // May 17, 2016 at 7:49 PM

maybe the wait on rafa is that he wants to see which way the wind blows… I wouldn’t wanna be downwind of the unwashed…

• 155 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 7:49 PM

I dunno Clinath
    Has there ever been a manager who had absolute veto over all sales?
    I think it’s all been so crazy, we’ve forgotten what is and isn’t the way to behave.
    Maybe the lawyers will manage to trace the precedents?

• 156 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 7:52 PM

The time-honoured sanction for managers has been “sell him, and I’ll walk.”
    None of our last half dozen were ever going to say that.

• 157 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Regarding the ‘plane towing the banner over SJP.
    HOW CRINGINGLY PITIFUL WAS THAT !

Totally upstaged by the match.

It said so much about the Mackem obsession with us.

I hope it cost the soft buggers a fortune .

• 158 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 7:53 PM

I hope they feel they got their money’s worth Jib.

• 159 Our Toon // May 17, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Why are people debating finances again? Especially with Blackley of all people, he probably argues with himself or herself until he / she is blue in the face. Get ready for a week of back and forth, can never admit when he or she is wrong

Think most fans and experts know it’s a farce having SD advertise for free yet every other club who have owners use the companies they’ve invested or have shares in to pay. You’ll get the odd person who thinks nothing of it.

• 160 martoon // May 17, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Evening all – I posted this earlier but for those who didn’t see it, here it is again – remember the predictions I did at the start of the season?

Poster…………………Posit.Points.LC.FAC.In.Out.Top.GS…..Goals

Essex.Geordie.Bill……….8……60…7..4…4…3..Cisse……15
    Spellcheck………………9……50…5..4…5…4..Mitrovic…18
    OneAlanShearer…………..4……60…6..8…6…6..Mitrovic…24
    Clarke_M………………..7……58…6..5…6…5..Mitrovic…28
    Fatman_joe……………..10……40…7..5…6…6..Perez……12
    bosamuelson……………..7……61…7..4…7…4..Mitrovic…16

I reckon the closest was Jack – 15th with 39 points and Wijnaldum as top goal scorer with 8 goals.

• 161 Our Toon // May 17, 2016 at 7:58 PM

On rafa, I hope he stays but he’ll likely be offski, I like the way townsend etc say we but he’ll be off as well. Maybe I’ve become a cynic when it comes to this regime, nothing has changed and nothing ever will till the fat controller leaves

• 162 martoon // May 17, 2016 at 8:00 PM

I tried to get the columns straight but the blog does some weird things to tables – proportional font I think 🙁

• 163 Jail for Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 8:00 PM

OT,
    Like I’ve always said, if we’re competing at the top I don’t care who pays for what, if we’re in the CL and winning FA cups I don’t care if he puts his SD logo on the shirt and has us in the SD colours for our away top.

• 164 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 8:04 PM

You need to do it again like, Martoon.
    I can’t even SEE mine.

• 165 Our Toon // May 17, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Martoon

Completely forgot about the predictions, wow what a difference 10 months makes. Jack looks like he was closest!! No one predicted relegation. Thanks for putting this back up bloody, I had Ranieri to get the sack first on a mates predictor……how bloody wrong was I ahaha!!

• 166 Jail for Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Personally I think Rafa has backed them too far in to a corner for it to go Pete Tong now.

• 167 clinath@ed // May 17, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Well done Martoon. When’s the next one due?

• 168 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Even Ruddy didn’t predict relegation.

• 169 Our Toon // May 17, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Jail

I don’t think any of us would complain if we were successful, this relegation wasn’t down to just this season though, it’s down to not investing throughout an entire season and then chasing our tail ever since. A steady decline, the roots stemmed from that…..a fcuk up of epic proportions

• 170 lochinvar // May 17, 2016 at 8:07 PM

It was rough on Chris Houghton and Brighton to loose out on the place in the play off final to Sheffield Wednesday – who finished 15 points below them in the league over the season.
    Point being we need to win the Championship by a mile and put clear water between us and the others as fast as possible to avoid that sort of lottery.
    St. James’ Park needs to become a mental fortress that no one can live with. Away from home we need to take apart teams who have aspirations . Armstrong and Mitrovic , Perez an Aarons will need to score without fear while another forward and goals from elsewhere will be essential. Townsend and free kicks could be well worth some good points. The mental discipline we’ve shown over recent games will be crucial as well so Rafa needs to make sure our lot are under no illusions as to what’s needed come a wet Tuesday night in some far flung corner of the a Empire.

• 171 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Martoon
    Good effort man
    Well done
    I must say it is slightly disturbing how many posters have slipped away softly into the night.
    Hopefully we will get a few returnees – quando Rafa él pone la pluma al papel.

• 172 welshgeordie9 // May 17, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Jib

Apparently that’s our fault that there’s not many on here in the evening.

• 173 Jail for Ashley // May 17, 2016 at 8:12 PM

I didn’t predict relegation and my 8th with 54 points was being optimistic for the sake of it. What I said from the off though was that he was a failed and sacked Championship manager who shouldn’t have been anywhere near us.

• 174 welshgeordie9 // May 17, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Well that’s according to jail anyway.

• 175 welshgeordie9 // May 17, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Speaking of the devil, hi jail.

• 176 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 8:13 PM

My first thought on seeing it was “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?”

• 177 welshgeordie9 // May 17, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Still no news on Benitez, i bloody hate it when it goes quiet.

• 178 Ron Knee // May 17, 2016 at 8:15 PM

“When will they ever learn?”

• 179 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Welshie
    I’m just watching the Hull v Derby play-off game.
    Some of our lads are in for a rude awakening in the fizzy pop the standard is still blooming high !

• 180 martoon // May 17, 2016 at 8:17 PM

Thanks people – not sure if you are serious BandB but if I missed your prediction then humble apologies.
    All being well I’ll try and do it again just before next season when we know who is in and who is out – I suspect a lot will predict 1st place 🙂

• 181 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Look everyone
    There goes Jail for Ashley backtracking so fast he looks like the late M. Jackson moonwalking .
    😀

• 182 clinath@ed // May 17, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Long time reader part time blogger. They’re/we’re all still there welshgeordie, hopefully waiting for something positive to crow about..

• 183 welshgeordie9 // May 17, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Jib

I’m watching the game as well mate, if Benitez don’t stay we are in big trouble and might be in the championship for a long time, can’t think of another who could do the job, apparently Brendan Rodgers is in talks with Celtic, ffs.

• 184 Ron Knee // May 17, 2016 at 8:22 PM

3-2 now.

• 185 welshgeordie9 // May 17, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Wow 2-0 Derby game on.

• 186 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 8:23 PM

B and B
    You are on the wimmins list
    😎

• 187 welshgeordie9 // May 17, 2016 at 8:23 PM

There’s going to be more goals in this match.

• 188 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 17, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Ideally we want Hull and Brighton to both fail so we can pinch Dunk and Robertson !!

• 189 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 8:34 PM

She must have gone to the Hoosey

• 190 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 8:35 PM

I didn’t enter Jib, as I already knew we were relegated.
    Time to fess up that I am a Nag-on from Planet Spag-On which lies 40,000 light years in the future.
    We have translucent skin and our limbs have reduced to tiny flippers, hence my terrible typing.
    We have attained the perfect state of what you humans call Nirvana. We merely have to think about a takeaway and it is delivered instantly.
    We amuse ourselves by visiting remote corners of your new internet to post things we know have already happened.
    We then take bets on which of you will call us imbeciles. It is very droll.
    We know for example that Blackley will dismember himself in a freak lawn mowing accident in June.
    We keep replaying that one, just for the number of times he denies he’s actually dead.

• 191 clinath@ed // May 17, 2016 at 8:37 PM

BandB….we call it Sunderland

• 192 magscar // May 17, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Martoon

Good job but seeing the predictions en masse makes me glad I didn’t post mine ( not just yours bet don’t even bother with ED’s match ones as it isn’t my thing).

Mind I have always said if you ( any club fan that is) can’t be positive pre- season when can you be?

Given the net spend last summer and the amounts spend on individual players I think relegation was furthest from our minds back then. Don’t recall pundits having us down for it either.

Still have a soft spot for Hughton but LMA Championship manager of the Season? Seems an odd choice – bet Burnley ( or Boro) fans would disagree.

• 193 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Do you still have chebs ?

• 194 firebug666 // May 17, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Rafa Benitez agrees to stay on as Newcastle United manager and begins work on list of transfer targets

• 195 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Down to just six now Jib.

• 196 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Luckily we have six heads.

• 197 Ron Knee // May 17, 2016 at 8:43 PM

firebug

Can we trust Craig Hope?

• 198 Bambams // May 17, 2016 at 8:43 PM

• 199 Back Door Man // May 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM

part repost …

“Of course Manuel will stay.  What drives these fellas is a new challenge and it doesn’t get any better than the one confronting him.  He’ll pussy whip the Fatman into submission, tanning his arse with demands that can’t be resisted.”

The blog appears to have been a haven of peace and tranquility these past few days, and better for it.  As usual the occasional core of insight surrounded by a penumbra of nonsense can be discovered here but once the nitcomb has raked the debris aside fat, juicy mordsels can be uncovered and devoured with relish.

• 200 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Crying posted first last night.
    He’s a quick typist.
    The rest will be along soon.

• 201 JamesToon // May 17, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Lads,

Reece Oxford has just turned down a contract offer from West Ham, think we should snap him up immediately, Tiote’s replacement

• 202 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 8:45 PM

At least you have even numbers !

• 203 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 8:46 PM

BDM

Well quite!

• 204 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 8:46 PM

And at least three less than you Jibbers.

• 205 magscar // May 17, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Firebug

Had me nearly celebrating there -until I read last para :-

“Only an 11th-hour offer from elsewhere could now scupper the deal and see Benitez activate the relegation break clause which exists in the three-year contract he signed in March”

So he hasn’t then?

Journalists and Headlines Pah!

• 206 Back Door Man // May 17, 2016 at 8:47 PM

morsels even..

• 207 firebug666 // May 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Ron

I don’t trust any of them, but just posting what is reported, and feeling more confident that the deals is done.

At some point we have to make changes ourselves and start to believe if we are going to demand changes from the club.

We must now trust Rafa to get us promoted, and I am looking forward to his new signings and team setup.

• 208 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM

magscar,

It will be clearer in two hours.

• 209 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Unless Craig is mistaking a guess for an exclusive.
    Again.

• 210 firebug666 // May 17, 2016 at 8:52 PM

magscar

The agreement has been made verbally mate, He will be in Liverpool with his family, so basically he need to come up and sign job done.

• 211 magscar // May 17, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Thinking on this break clause presumably until a new contract is signed and supercedes the old then this clause will remain however long negotiations and verbal agreements drag on?

Or is it simply a matter of removing the clause and staying with the existing 3 year deal?

BandB was ruminating on this need for a renegotiation ( of exactly what) a day or so ago but no one seemed interested.

• 212 magscar // May 17, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Firebug

Yeah I get that but why does Craig Hope bring up the get out clause ( protecting his scoop going wrong?).

If he has finally agreed why does it matter? Would Rafa renege on a Gentleman’s Agreement? ( not saying owt about possibility of Ashley doing so!)

• 213 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 9:00 PM

Thank you for noticing magscar (I’ve had magyar and massacre tonight …stoopid flippers)
    Rafa laid down a lot of ground rules before he came. The outline of the three-year contract was signed then.
    Ashley came on a charm offensive on Sunday to assure him the deal was still very much alive, if he wanted it.

• 214 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 17, 2016 at 9:00 PM

Would anyone take Nolan or Carrick in a player/coach role? Wouldn’t be expected to play every week but would be good for the dressing room

• 215 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 17, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Watching this Championship play off is exciting and pretty end to end and it highlights that:

We need to buy some players with serious pace and work rate

• 216 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // May 17, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Now we just need a new sponsor!!

• 217 toon22 // May 17, 2016 at 9:04 PM

If Raffa really does stay i hope he is brutal with his rebuild,its the right time to get rid of almost every aspect of the club and start again.
    As for MA not doing the dirty i really dont think he can this time as the fans would revolt on an epic scale this time,can you imagin the chaos that would ensue if he left claming MA renigaded etc.

• 218 ShirebrookToon // May 17, 2016 at 9:05 PM

30 mil bid from West Ham for lacazette rejected

• 219 magscar // May 17, 2016 at 9:06 PM

BandB

Think “Mascara” just edges it 🙂

Noticed what I thought was an interesting observation but too busy at time to cogitate sufficiently to comment but surprised no one else had saw fit when checking later. Too much else happening?

Back in 2 hours then to see what materialises.

• 220 toon22 // May 17, 2016 at 9:06 PM

I would also think we might see some players from some of the bigger Spannish clubs sign on loan similar to what Boro did.

• 221 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM

I’m not expecting anything later magscar.
    Editors will be asking their reporters if Craig has an exclusive and they might be saying “nothing that won’t wait.”
    The 11th hour caveat was probably what stopped others thinking it was worth running.
    Hope is basically saying “Rafa will sign…unless he doesn’t”

• 222 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 9:15 PM

My first impression on seeing so many lost bloggers? They had better get back on here. Look what’s happened to jesper. A blogger rating of 2.5/10. Oh the shame of it all jesper!

• 223 ShirebrookToon // May 17, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Watching the playoff match makes me wonder if we’ll see a sports direct logo somewhere on our kit next season

• 224 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 9:19 PM

BackDoorMan: a titch wordy. Some might even say lacking in that concise point of view, but I detect a caring individual who will ruminate on his shortcomings (as I too have after my blogger rating of 5.0) and see the light. And yes it might be a train at the other end of the tunnel or it might be Rafa leading the way to far better times. 7/10.

• 225 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 9:22 PM

TacoFlavouredKisses: nice turns of phrase leading to a previously untapped wilderness of wild cogitations. 7.7/10.
    Shirebrook Toon: short, pithy exclamations. Sometimes deeply worrying in their implications. Will Rafa stay? Won’t he? 7.9/10.

• 226 ShirebrookToon // May 17, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Geordie two

Yes, I think Rafa will stay!

• 227 stephen1971 // May 17, 2016 at 9:32 PM

i,m really confident rafa will stay with the vibes coming out, this could be a massive chance for ashley to see giving the manager his choice of players etc works better than a numpty board call the shots, rafa is immense, hes pulled the card most fans have been thriving for since ashley took over, calling the shots

• 228 GeordieTwo // May 17, 2016 at 9:35 PM