The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pundit – Benitez At Newcastle Wont Struggle To Attract Players

8:40 am, Tuesday, May 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

Former  Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy, now a BBC Match of the Day pundit,  thinks that if Rafa Benitez does join Newcastle long term this week, then the Magpies have to be strong favorites to come straight back into the Premier League.

It’s a combination of Rafa’s coaching skills plus the many contracts he has in England plus the fact he is very thorough preparing for every game and has already made Newcastle look like a top six side with their performances at St, Jame’s Park on Sunday against top side Spurs.

danny murphy

Danny Murphy – good bet Newcastle will come straight back up

That performance shocked a lot of pundits and Newcastle fans too – Rafa had Newcastle playing some top class football in our final Premier League game for at least 15 months.

Murphy has been talking on  the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show (on talkSPORT)  yesterday morning:

“If Benitez stays, I would have a good few quid on them coming straight back up,”

“I really would because I know what he is like in terms of getting his squad fit. You need that in the Championship.”

“He knows the English leagues. He has got loads of contacts in this country, so he won’t struggle to attract players there.”

One of the things Rafa has to do in the summer is get to know more about the teams that we will be meeting in the Championship next season, when we will play 46 matches in the league.

Rafa will ensure the squad is big enough just in case we get our usual massive amount of injuries.

But with Rafa also being in charge of the medical department at the club, we are hoping he will get a handle on the injuries and certainly since he arrived there are fewer and fewer players in the treatment room.

If Rafa signs for us, it will be a massive summer of excitement and expectation for Newcastle fans.

Comments welcome,.

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press · Pundit

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 8:43 AM

The trouble is, the championship will struggle to attract players. Im sure raffa will get the best of the willing ones though

• 2 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 8:46 AM

YCMIU

What do you think of this knobber ?

Tsunki // May 13, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Rafa won’t stay. Championship. The Ashley/Sd Criteria for Business.
    A jolly buffoon and his grandad figure toting a cardboard cutout ex legend through the sjp halls.
    The odds are stacked pretty high against.

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 8:46 AM

Jib

So now I am Tsunki? How do you come to that conclusion, oh master of many accounts?

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 8:47 AM

Oh right, you altered it from the last post. Fair enough. It just looked like you were saying i was tsunki

• 5 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 8:48 AM

To be fair, Jib, once relegation was confirmed, there wasnt much hope of him staying. It’s only over the last few days things looked more positive.

• 6 expatmag // May 17, 2016 at 8:50 AM

AC

The last couple of paragraphs answered my question. Ultimately Mike Ashley makes the decisions and Charnley carries them out.

Let me ask you a question.

Would you be happy to be sacked in your job if you gad to work under similar conditions?

YCMIU

I biw to your obvious better kbowledge of the goings on in the halls of power at SJP.

Please remind me? What is your position in the NUFC hierachy?

• 7 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 8:52 AM

I would be surprised if many could have guessed that Ashley would give raffa ‘free reign’ as is being reported this morning. People base thier oppinions on past record, and ashley hardly has a sparkling one.

• 8 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Expat

Where the fk did that come from!?!? My opinions on penfold are no different from the majority, and based on what anyone with eyes can see. Wind your neck in, princess!

• 9 martoon // May 17, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Jib @2 – I would say that takes the biscuit!
    Also when you say knobber do you mean hob-knobbers?
    YCMIU – how many more biscuit references can we jam(my dodger) in this morning? 🙂

• 10 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 8:57 AM

Martoon

I am discustard (cream) that you would do such a thing. It is not NICE. It gives me trouble with my digestive system

• 11 expatmag // May 17, 2016 at 8:59 AM

YCMIU

No need to be abusive. Simple question deserves a simple answer or much like your answer to a previous comment, “people base their OPINIONS on past records and ASHLEY hardly has a sparkling one.”

So you agree Charnley should be sacked then, based on your opinions?

• 12 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Martoon
    I’m pleased you are (choccy)digesting my posts

• 13 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 9:02 AM

On posts this morning
    There have been some crackers

• 14 Jib // May 17, 2016 at 9:03 AM

I’m on a bit of a (fig) roll this morning

• 15 firebug666 // May 17, 2016 at 9:10 AM

expat

Do you think Charnley shouldn’t be sacked?

The man who was promoted way above his ability, admitted they had made mistakes, but failed to enlighten anyone as to what those mistakes were, and the continued to make them this season resulting in relegation.

A man left in charge who spend £80m on flops, bought Cabella for £12m sold him after one season for about £6m I think is the reported amount. Bought Thuvan for £12m loaned him back to his old club after half a season.

Kept a failing head coach at the helm until it was too late to save ourselves, even though we have been in and around the bottom three all season.

Personally I think he should be sacked, maybe he should have gone earlier.

• 16 Ron Knee // May 17, 2016 at 9:13 AM

From The Mag this morning:-

A young Newcastle supporter eventually wakes up in hospital after nine months in a coma.

Dad: “Son, at last, you’ve woken up!! How do you feel?”

Son: “Never mind me, how did the Toon get on this season?”

Dad: “Well we did the double over Tottenham, undefeated against Manchester United, four points off Liverpool, took points off Chelsea and Manchester City, plus went six games unbeaten at the end of the season picking up 12 points from 18.”

Son: “Wow…so are we in the Champions League?”

Dad: “Emmmm”

• 17 lesh // May 17, 2016 at 9:15 AM

YCMIU

You should know by now that Jib’s like a box of assorted biscuits – different shapes and flavours…. including crackers!

😀

• 18 expatmag // May 17, 2016 at 9:16 AM

Firebug

So, it was his choice to select all those players that failed then?

How do you know that?

• 19 Ron Knee // May 17, 2016 at 9:21 AM

Who chose McClaren? Charmless or Carr?

• 20 firebug666 // May 17, 2016 at 9:24 AM

expat

Is this conversation going to drop into infinity of having to give you proof for every statement.

You know how the club is run, you read the same reports that we read.

Charnley has the final say on transfers, and is responsible as MD for the running of the club.

Ashley gave Charnley the job of MD, and then turned his back so he and SD could not be blamed when, (as I suspect he knew) thing went tits up.

Lee Charnley was responsible for the negotiations on transfers, I suspect he still will be, as MD he takes on all those responsibilities, and is to blame for the failures.

You never answered my question though, Do you think Charnley shouldn’t be sacked?

• 21 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Expat

Making snide remarks about my holding a position at the club just because i have a strong opinion charmless’ ineptitude, was always going to get a negative response from me.

I have negative opinions of Mashley or Penfold. They have both made a mess of things multiple times. Ashley is, of course, ultimately the most responsible, but that should not absolve penfold, who has obviously beed giving ashley terrible advice, and my personal belief is that Wally was here because of him, and stayed too long because of him.

So yes, he should be sacked.

• 22 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 17, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Me holding a position *
    Mashley AND Penfold *

• 23 Tsunki // May 17, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Jib @2 – that’s not nice. Just because I’m a pessimist, no need to try and call out. And btw, has he signed on yet?

And even though I may lean towards doubt, it doesn’t mean I can’t be pleasantly surprised and change my viewpoint.

You on the other hand, are a babbling cretin. No pleasant surprises in store there, I’m afraid.

• 24 Rotonda heights // May 17, 2016 at 9:36 AM

for all those saying carr only got his 4th choices, please explain 14M on Thauvin, 12M on cabella, etc, etc.

Carr leaving after being exposed for largely being a mondial mule is a great step forward.
    Hopefully charnley, beardo and watson will follow as well as that alleged physio and our s—-y sponsor. Maybe even rafa could sort that as well!

• 25 BandB // May 17, 2016 at 9:47 AM

No-one would be “carrying the can” anyway.
    Carr would become surplus to requirements and possibly given a nominal consultancy role.
    Ashley doesn’t banish good servants to the outer darkness.
    The scouting operation had been pared back to nothing. It isn’t a biggy.
    Bobby will go back to backslapping in the executive boxes and the “football board” would be never spoken of again.
    Finally, George Caulkin says this is all very positive but still being tied up.
    To me, and almost every person who writes one of the news reports you read over the next few days, that’s Gospel.

previous post: Andros Townsend In Total Awe Of This Man