The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Newcastle Player Has To Get His Act Together

3:42 pm, Wednesday, May 18th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 147 Comments

If Aleksandar Mitrovic expects to have a long term stay at Newcastle, then he  must get his discipline under control and Rafa Benitez will have noted the 21 year-old could have cost us the game on Sunday, with the daft foul he committed on Kyle Walker.

The score was 2-1 after 68 minutes when the Serbian international received a straight red card for a challenge, which could have resulted in Kyle’s lower leg being broken.

Aleksandar Mitrovic – after scoring with a great header against Spurs

And because he was also sent off with a straight red at the beginning of the season against Arsenal, it means he will miss the first four games in the Championship next season.

Mitrovic has also been criticized for the foul by his idol Alan Shearer – and Alan has said the young striker doesn’t seem to be learning – so let’s hope Mitro takes heed of the good advice from the Newcastle legend.

He is an excellent prospect and we really like the lad a lot, but discipline is what’s missing at the moment, although we still have to remember he’s still only 21.

Rafa will make him in to a much better striker in years to come.

The 21 year-old just seems to love playing for Newcastle and he is sorry for the relegation in his first season on Tyneside:

“I am sorry about relegation but Newcastle is too big a club and I hope that we will soon return to the elite.”

“On a personal level I’m happy, I could not have given more, but I was however, making my debut in the strongest league in the world. At the moment I am living my dream in Newcastle.”

“I hope to be at the club for many years and I will be a legend. Of course many children are dreaming of playing for Real, Barca, Manchester United – I always just wanted to wear the shirt of Partizan, Newcastle and my country.”

“The footage (of the foul) looks much more serious than it really was – it was a big fuss as far as I am concerned.”

On the positive side Aleksandar scored on Sunday with just a beautiful header in the first half to put Newcastle 2-0 up.

It was a lesson from the youngster on how to head a ball text-book style.

As soon as Benitez arrived on Tyneside he mentioned what a good header of the ball Mitro was – and that the players had got to get better service into the young striker.

We expect that Rafa will bring in quite a few new players into the club this summer with an emphasis on strengthening the defense and he is likely to bring in one or two strikers too – a position which has also been a weakness of the team.

We can expect the new signings to fix the problems that have been at Newcastle now for at least two years – and why it has taken this long to do that is a very good question.

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Championship · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

147 responses so far ↓

• 1 manxpie // May 18, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Me too Belfast i hope townsend realises Wat he’s got here tho stadium love him got back into the England squad after years of being in the wilderness
    but then again he is a footballer!
    Being a winger I think is the hardest position in football but the consistency he has shown is better than any winger in the league barring the obvious and who knows if he had been here all season
    I’d give him a pay rise and new contract tbh

• 2 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Ha ha, here’s one for the record – i agree with tuff on this one. 😉 Give it out, expect to take it. You can’t sit back having a dig at people and not expect it back when it is deserved. Well said tuff. You can frame that if you wish! 😉

• 3 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Right, let’s draw a line under it now eh? I’ve had my fun but know when enough is enough.
    Manpixie, you may have hit on the solution there my friend. Give him a better contract, in return for him removing the get out clause. Dead simple really. We all want him here and so does Rafa, so it makes sense all round. His career has been totally boosted by coming here and having listened to how we feel about him when it looked like he was coming off, he must realise this is where he ought to be? At long last things are changing for the better. Now is the time to get on board.

• 4 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Manpixie?! Sorry matey! 😉

• 5 dok - the horrid colonial // May 18, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Message from the blog ruiner

jib, that made me spit coffee lol, well done…

I did, have it saved to my comp when its necessary, thank you lad

• 6 Spoof // May 18, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Not sure that Mitro would have a long term future here under Rafa, I hope I’m wrong as I really do like Mitro but I have my doubts as to whether he is Rafa’s sort of striker, Rafa does seem to prefer the quick feet and more mobile type of striker rather than the big powerhouse which is what Mitro is, I fear for the lads future !

• 7 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Is this the same Shearer who nearly launched Lennon’s head into orbit, deliberately and with malice? How short some peoples memories are! 😉

• 8 goommy // May 18, 2016 at 4:09 PM

A legend!!?? Don’t make me laugh Mitro boy. Striker with 2 red cards a season wanna be a legend? If you don’t fix this you will end up like that Mario Balotelli dude. So much potential but needed by no one. I used to have very high hope for you but after seeing what you did to Kyle I think I’m done..Good luck.

• 9 giimps // May 18, 2016 at 4:13 PM

I think Ivan Toney may be more Rafas type, along with Adam Armstrong, they’re both quicker and more mobile, maybe not as strong ,but power isn’t everything, pace is the killer for defences used correctly… Leicester

• 10 hibbitt // May 18, 2016 at 4:13 PM

i am a very placid type of guy but i could have knocked lennon’s head into orbit that day

• 11 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 4:18 PM

Hibeett, only if you’d got there ahead of me matey! What a tw@t, he deserved what he got. You get my point though… 😉

• 12 manxpie // May 18, 2016 at 4:20 PM

As bad as the challenge was on walker it looked a lot worse in super slow motion tbf plus walker is a bit of a dirty twat as well plus lamellas was a horrible challenge on townsend that could have easily have badly injured him plus dier’s so I’m not feeling sorry for any spuds players
    the 10 game ban for it that some were calling for were well over the top like

• 13 Essex Geordie Bill // May 18, 2016 at 4:21 PM

I have to agree that any player who tries to cripple an opposition player is a liability to the game and deserves a lengthy ban. How about they’re banned till the victim is playing again.

• 14 Essex Geordie Bill // May 18, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Re Hails earlier comment about people who trawl back threads for ammo to use I couldn’t agree more, it’s really sad and personally I couldn’t be *arsed, if some one wanted to score cheap points against me I’m more likely to laugh than take offence.

Still it takes all sorts and does make the blog interesting at times.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // May 18, 2016 at 4:28 PM

Oh Bobby Bee, the hypocrite himself,. doesn’t like people talking behind his back??? yet has been ranting about me all afternoon.
    Firstly, are you right in the head marrow, who has been taking the pi$$ out of your disability, anyone on here will testify I am the first to pull someone for racist or vile insults.
    Secondly how am I a fair weather fan, I have regularly gone to about ten games a season under Ashleys ownership until I finally had enough last year when enough was enough and I decided to make a stand. You keep pointing out that I said I’d never go back while Ashley was there yet you have no proof, I actually found a post of mine to BandB that said I wouldn’t go back unless there was drastic change, I believe there has been and now will pay that back by putting my money upfront. I went back there this season long before Rafa was talked about while we were third bottom so how is that only going in the good times. You need to calm down marrow and get your facts straight before spilling your bile on here. As Charlie and hibbitt will back up, I’ve nevber had a go at match going fans which is another one of your petty false accusatuions.
    If that’s the best you can come up with don’t bother. I’ve made no secret of the fact I was very supportive of Pardew on here after that double manager of the year. Wind changes in seconds, it took me a full season of humiliating defeats, shyte football and worse excuses plus his getting in bed with the fat man that turned my opinion on Pardew.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // May 18, 2016 at 4:32 PM

*I actually found a post of mine to BandB dated two years ago.

• 17 Rotonda heights // May 18, 2016 at 4:34 PM

wouldn’t miss him, nor did the team after he was carded, best football we’ve played in an age. Mitro is never getting away from defenders, misses so many chances and 2 reds just this season, nut job. Much prefer Armstrong or someone in that mould who can get in behind.

• 18 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Hibeet? Jesus, i keep doing it! 😉

• 19 giimps // May 18, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Has there been any release of where we’re going pre season this year?
    Iv looked but couldn’t find anything, hopefully it’s somewhere they can all play together as a possible team rather than playing the u21s in case the the seniors got injured………it could have been even worse than the 397 playing days our squad was injured for if they hadn’t, well done JC and Chumpley….another fine mess and all that…….Rafa might want Spain or Portugal……wel probably end up in Greenland or Antarctica if Chumpley is choosing again

• 20 hibbitt // May 18, 2016 at 4:48 PM

have i got this right championship srarts on the 6th of august ?

• 21 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Jail, you just posted when i put my post up, so how did i know you weren’t there? You’ve probably been here all along, desperately looking for something to back you up. Personally i can’t be bothered doing that – two years ago? Really? 😉 If you insist on having a dig, expect it back marrow. 😉 You are not immune. It works both ways. Maybe if you changed that drama queen moniker, it might not be too bad. Deny away at what you said, i couldn’t care a toss. We know. 😉 Desperately looking back years to pick out little bits, is so so sad. Man up, admit what you said. Nobody really cares anyway. I’ve repeatedly said you ignore me etc, but you can’t resist. Don’t bleat when it comes back at you. Anyway, once again, i’ve already drawn a line under it and only responded in like. I’m taking the p!ss. Having a laugh at your expense, as you love to do. Don’t give it out, you won’t get it back. Simples!

• 22 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Giimps, i reckon they’ll get the rafa thing sorted before deciding on pre season tours? As long as it isn’t like last season, all will be well i reckon. Can’t see rafa making mistakes like that, can you? 😉

• 23 giimps // May 18, 2016 at 4:54 PM

I thought this was a football blog and not a who said what blog?

• 24 Shadow_Shearer // May 18, 2016 at 4:59 PM

Mitrovic tackle was a bad one, but I think people are over playing it. It was a clumsy strikers challenge. It’s like some people think he was deliberately trying to injure him.
    Yes I agree he’s hot headed & needs to work on that, but he was tryna shield the ball at the time.
    His tackles are awful, he needs to work on that & his finishing.

• 25 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Shadow, i see it that way myself. Looked like he was putting his foot down to shield the ball, but ended up putting his foot down his leg. Only he would know if he deliberately meant to injure the guy, but wasn’t as bad as some are making out. If he’d meant it, it would’ve had far worse results. Clearly the atmosphere got to him a bit and he was hyped up. I think he’d looked at it again after getting sent off, which would explain why he came out at the end and apologised to the ref.

• 26 reilly // May 18, 2016 at 5:10 PM

does anyone use widi.
    lets hope rafa gets signed up soon,the last thing we need is this dragging on all summer.

• 27 Charlie in the Gallowgate // May 18, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Mitro – If Rafa stays and sorts his temperament out I think he will be a big hit in the Championship as I think you need a big battling centre forward – i.e. in the Carroll mould as in our promotion year.

RAFA – This is he staying or going the suspense is killing!!!

• 28 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Charlie, it might kill you a while longer matey, with the appt not expected for two weeks! 😉 Both sides are saying the right things and if i was a gambling man, i’d put money on him staying right now. That could change however, but we all want what’s best for the team, even ashley i reckon.

• 29 Oldgit1 // May 18, 2016 at 5:21 PM

See Bobbybee is having another rant. Try to avoid his pathetic posts. Some of you may find him amusing but I can’t stand his comments. He is so far up his own arse. Be nice if ed banned him.

• 30 Jib // May 18, 2016 at 5:21 PM

Also people mention 2 reds for Mitro.
    The one against Arsenal and the little squealer Coquelin was a joke.

• 31 hibbitt // May 18, 2016 at 5:21 PM

the longer this goes on the more chance we have of losing him to another club

• 32 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Old git. Nuff said really! 😉

• 33 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Rotonda heights: one of the magnificent long time bloggers that I look forward to reading. Loads of perspective on the club and it’s history. 8/10
    Jail for Ashley: no nonsense knee knocker. Gives us his views in a straight forward way. 7.8/10
    reilly: gets down to business straight off the mark. Steady, productive blogger. 7.6/10
    Charlie in Gallowgate: very proud, intense supporter. Gives it his best and can really rock the boat. 7.5/10

• 34 Yo-yo // May 18, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Studiously avoiding blog assassination attempts on grassy knoll ^.

Mitro says “it was a big fuss as far as I am concerned”

Yeh.. so missing 3 or 4 games beginning of next season is insignificant and just a big fuss ?

Clubs expect players to be available and show some self discipline and I’d fine him for self justifying comments like that.

As for Shearer – the man with the sledge hammer elbows… he always seemed to avoid getting carded as he was done to as much as did.
    But ..averaged 1 yellow every ten games, sent off one so Mitro has a lot of role modelling to do

• 35 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Oldgit1: has that warrior spirit. Doesn’t walk away from a tussle. 7.8/10

• 36 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Yo-yo: clever insights. Very astute and gets right into the mix. 7.8/10

• 37 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 5:34 PM

I wonder what Rafa is thinking? Can he drag the gang of idiots Ashley has put together as an executive team along with him as he brings us back to self respect as a club? It’s a tall order unless he can get more of a clear out done than just Carr.

• 38 dok - the horrid colonial // May 18, 2016 at 5:34 PM

ive got this hunch that rafa is gonna stay.. a coach of his aptitude will make a iron clad agreement to ensure MA doesn’t screw him over, imo…

• 39 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 5:34 PM

What to do with Beardsley for example? Great player but no motivator of players. He has to go surely.

• 40 hibbitt // May 18, 2016 at 5:37 PM

dok – the horrid colonial

i hope your right but just have no trust in these clowns to get the job done

• 41 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Geordie, i thought Charnley’s job was totally unteneble – and maybe it is. Moving him on to a totally different job description might appease most of us. Then again, if Rafa’s happy to work with him, maybe we’ve all been wrong about him! 😉 Beardo is a tough one. Legend on the pitch, not so much as a coach. I’m sure Rafa has his own ideas though.

• 42 Jib // May 18, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Geordie Two
    I think if Rafa stays , the academy will be given a lot more prominence and Beardsley and co will be working under Cathro.

• 43 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Definitely the academy has to be rebuilt. The whole club had a horrible season at every level. I’m not sure you can leave too much dead wood lying around so I would expect us to see some quiet resignations by June. That’s if Rafa stays of course. Otherwise it will probably just continue to be the same shambles. What are they going to do at Board level? That’s another huge question. And can Ashley satisfy Rafa with enough spending when he’s already said the cupboard is bare.

• 44 JackButler // May 18, 2016 at 5:48 PM

I worry about Mitro, the kid has heart there’s no doubt about that, but he lacks pace and is still unable to control his aggression, time will tell I guess but the jury is still out

• 45 Bobbybee // May 18, 2016 at 5:54 PM

G2, i suspect the no more money comment was aimed at a board that had just blown 80m smackers. Macca said there was 150m to spend over three windows, so i hope the remaining money will be made available to someone who knows how to spend it properly. Plus whatever we generate in sales of course.

• 46 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 5:56 PM

I see us as a five year project for Rafa:
    Promotion back to the Prem: by year 1 or 2.
    Mid table form with at least one decent cup run: by year 3
    Academy rebuilt: by year 3-4.
    Serious contention for top5 and all levels of club performing well: by year 5.

• 47 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 5:57 PM

JackButler: another serious old time blogger. Has stayed with us over the years and helped support the blog through thick and thin. 8/10

• 48 hibbitt // May 18, 2016 at 5:58 PM

beardsley has to go great player no doubt but lacking in all departments on the coaching side unable to get his message across bad tempered and very huffy should be now were near are young players as you can see by the results

• 49 JackButler // May 18, 2016 at 5:58 PM

8/10 ???

• 50 JackButler // May 18, 2016 at 6:01 PM

If we are going to overhaul the youth set up we need to look at the likes of Southampton, Everton, Ajax etc etc, as these clubs have got it right from top to bottom, whereas our youth set seems like a token aspect of the club by comparison

• 51 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Ashley is slippery about money Bobby. Rafa will have to be very careful. I’m sure Ashley is counting on getting a nice pot of cash from player sales straight away. If we can get somewhere around 25-30M for 4 players and use most of the parachute payment we should have a very decent war chest.

• 52 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Exactly Jack Butler. Congratulations….

• 53 JackButler // May 18, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Just read back through earlier posts and now understand what you were saying 🙂

• 54 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 6:05 PM

Have to agree hibbit. This is an area where Rafa will have to step in and set the Academy up exactly as he wants it. That doesn’t mean give Beardsley another job in the club. It means it’s time to go Pedro.

• 55 Bambams // May 18, 2016 at 6:07 PM

I was only a little bit convinced Rafa would stay….You never want to get too carried away with our club for obvious reasons.

So it goes against everything I believe in Ashley as our owner ….But….I must admit I am more excited about our club now than I have even when we finished 5th !
    I never liked Pards but this bloke just makes me think he can handle Ashley and Charnley, he has the players on his side, the fans….Contacts. .The lot

Plenty of time for the contracts to be made up by the lawyers, Ash will want his usual ‘Huge compensation ‘ clause if Spain come hunting.

Feeling content

• 56 hibbitt // May 18, 2016 at 6:07 PM

we don’t have a youth set up its been neglected for years second rate coaches second rate facilities second rate end product

• 57 JackButler // May 18, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Agree mate 100%, it’s been a token attempt by the club over the years with no serious attention paid to it and the result is the only youngsters that have or are in the process of coming through have been bought in at an advanced stage of their development.

Let’s hope that the entire setup is about to change and real attention will be given to it

• 58 hibbitt // May 18, 2016 at 6:13 PM

the only good thing steve mcclaren did for newcastle was he started to get some of the kids out on loan which up till then had never been part of the clubs think

• 59 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Bambams: a cool cucumber of a customer. Wades right in with his fongbat and lets us have the goods. 7.8/10

• 60 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Make no doubt about it. If Rafa stays some heads are gonna roll. It’s stompin’ time!!!

• 61 lesh // May 18, 2016 at 6:23 PM

I suspect that MvLaren’s reference to there being £150m available over three windows might mean that assuming we stayed in the Prem, then there’s be £50m a season set aside for transfers.

Charmless stupidly blew £80m last season, blowing some £30m in already available cash on top of last season’s £50m.

Ok, there’ll be a parachute payment of what £40m plus about £75m Prem prize money but that’ll have to cover running costs and fund some transfers, part of the training facility upgrade etc.

Now that Charnley blew the £80m, there’s a question over the amount of money to fund Rafa’s proposals. Of course, if SD were to pay a realistic amount for its advertising – or even sponsor the training centre upgrade, progress under Rafa might be possible.

But, between Carr, Charnley and Ashley we’re spent up, nowt in the bank, nowt in the back pocket yet still owe Ashley over £100m.

Funding Rafa’s plans might be tricky but a little creative thinking on the part of Charnley might find a way forward. But as we’re talking Charmless, well there lies a problem.

Berb, maybe you’ve could sponsor them with a little something from your offshore accounts?

• 62 Yo-yo // May 18, 2016 at 6:28 PM

I hope Beardsley is given a role commensurate with his skills, but academy chief ain’t it.
    As for Cathro… if there is to be a post Rafa plan, then his retention as a coach by Rafa when Team Tufty was dumped, may be as long term deoputy and as potential manager in 5 years time. IF he’s good enough….

• 63 Yo-yo // May 18, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Perhaps Beardo could shake a transfer fees tin outside SJP on match days ?
    Bet he’d rake in a fortune.

• 64 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 6:29 PM

That has to be right lesh. The 150M was dependent on us staying up. But if Ashley wants us to come straight back up he has to fund Rafa properly even if it’s partly out of his own pocket. It only makes sense. The club’s valuation would be somewhere around 3 fold higher in the Prem than in the Championship. That won’t have escaped Ashley’s mind.

• 65 GeordieTwo // May 18, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Rafa will have a good long look at Cathro if Cathro decides or is allowed to stay. I’m not so sure he won’t scarper off to Spain.

• 66 Oldgit1 // May 18, 2016 at 6:34 PM

@ Bobbybee = is that the best you can come up with. Strewth what a Moron. I take it you are a newbie on here. I will continue to bug you if you start throwing insults about. Best to take my advise and less of the rants, then we may get on.

• 67 Charlie in the Gallowgate // May 18, 2016 at 6:40 PM

7.5 – I must of had a canny game.

• 68 magscar // May 18, 2016 at 6:51 PM

Difficult to judge what money is/will be in the kitty and is it enough but I suppose the deciding factor is does Rafa think so?

I recall the accounts are to 30 June each year and the most recently published were to 2015 but the £80M spend won’t have been in them and it is that which Ashley is referring to when saying money is gone.

Club will have presumably generated a profit ( before acquisitions are taken into account) so depends on how much there will have been this year. Presumably any new buys and sales under Rafa won’t appear in those accounts to 2016 ( unless of course it can be engineered that way to apportion possible losses over 2 sets of accounts for FFP ?)

Of course it has to be borne in mind that Ashley introduced a “pay up front” approach so full cost will be in there. Other clubs who buy on HP have to consider paying next yearly installment even when they have gone ( and player then sold on in some cases) and that can be a hammer blow on relegation.

• 69 swemag // May 18, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Being in the Championship I am sure Rafa also understands that we cannot invest another 80 million in the squad and I would expect him to pull a few very shrewd deals together on limited budget given the level we are at.

I am sure he can sell the rebuild thing to a few experienced players that would be more than willing to play under him in the Championship.

• 70 swemag // May 18, 2016 at 6:57 PM

…and sorry for asking a not so positive question…what happens if we are mid table come November and find it hard to beat the likes of Forest?

• 71 Ron Knee // May 18, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Have I got this right?
    Sunday: Ashley meets Benitez
    Monday: Charmless meets Benitez
    Tuesday: Charmless meets (!) Ashley
    Wednesday: What happened today?

• 72 Graeme // May 18, 2016 at 7:02 PM

The vultures start circling!!

• 73 Jib // May 18, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Jail /Oldgit

• 74 Our Toon // May 18, 2016 at 7:10 PM

I’d be worried if Mitro made that challenge with malice on his face and eyes on walker but none of that actually happened. Was it bad…..yes, has it been blown out of proportion? Yes. Kyle Walker didn’t he deliberately kick Fabregas 2 weeks ago?

Mitro tried to use his body and stupidly put his leg across, at no point did he look at walker or have an idea of where walkers leg was. Defo a red but some need to calm down and stop with the bandwagon BS.

He’s 21 and still a lot to learn, a temper that needs to be checked but will always be a marked man for this, was the card he received against Arsenal a red? I’m glad he wants to stay and more importantly he showed passion all season, more than some of the faves on here.

• 75 Yo-yo // May 18, 2016 at 7:22 PM

He needs to learn what the boundaries are and stay on the pitch. A studs up tackle is rarely accidental and the guy is supposed to be a pro. What’s with his disciplinary record ? Five reds isn’t it ?

• 76 WWSBRD // May 18, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Hmm Mitro…kids a head case, personally I think the Walker challenge was terrible and cowardly tbh if someone had tackled one of ours like that we’d of been furious and it’s not just that the look he gave the red earlier in the game was stupid and points to him having some issues with control

An amount of aggression can be good but he lets it ruin his game more often than not he’s more interested in hitting a defender than he is ball

Needs to sort himself out how many red cards has he had in his career? Championship is filled with battling defenders who will wind him up and push him around who is confident he’s going to be able to cope with that? Am not

• 77 Jib // May 18, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Some interesting names on this

• 78 WWSBRD // May 18, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Ref that should read

• 79 Bambams // May 18, 2016 at 7:32 PM

7.8/10…..fongbat. ….Cucumber !

You are wasted my friend !

Better than my latest work appraisal

Cheers fella

• 80 Thump // May 18, 2016 at 7:38 PM

@Ron Knee: Carr met his Employment Support Advisor.

• 81 Bambams // May 18, 2016 at 7:38 PM

I agree Mitro was trying to put his foot to protect the ball, it is a split second error but deserves the red card none the less.

Walker knew what he was doing, check motd and watch him roll around then glance up to see what the ref is doing

I am not sure if Mitro is going to be brilliant or another Rambo Reilly ….
    I hope the championship makes him and he becomes more accomplished for the PL. Just not sure his lack of pace might prevent him making the top striker we need.

Just my opinion

• 82 Our Toon // May 18, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Yes plenty of defenders will play on it, as they do with all players like that, it’s part of him as a player. Much like Rooney when he was younger, or like Suarez, Tino was the same back in the days….nut jobs. You take that away and you end up taking away what also makes them good. Not comparing mitro in ability to them players but certainly in terms of temper he’s up their with em.

I’d rather have someone battle like he does upfront than a Perez or Armstrong that will be pushed off the ball a lot easier and without a fight. At this moment in time Mitro is our best option upfront, he needs to learn to control that temper as all players like that need to learn but he will always be targeted. At least he give it his all, apart from townsend can you say that about anyone else in our squad this season?

I’ll repeat he’s 21 years old and full of passion. Long live the passion because when that goes it’s the likes of you that jump on the mercenary bandwagon

• 83 Jail for Ashley // May 18, 2016 at 7:45 PM

I know I’m not dealing with someone rational or of sound mind with you. If I insist on keep having a dig? I have never mentioned you before you lau ched that verbal diroreah this afternoon marrow. Accusing me of taking the pi $$ out of your disability is pretty low when you’ve got nothing to back it up with. I suppose you went off beating your chest again this afternoon after your imaginary hiding you dished out. And who is “we” that know what I’ve said, is it the same people that know I wasn’t watching games from the Milburn sports bar.
    Old git really!

• 84 Our Toon // May 18, 2016 at 7:46 PM

Agreed mate its a red all day long but it wasn’t intentional, if it was then he must be one hell of a mind reader knowing as he stepped across that walker would do the same. Future reference for him is if he wants to deliberately stamp on someone he should aim for the actual part that isn’t protected by the shin pad

• 85 Back Door Man // May 18, 2016 at 7:52 PM

As a truly humble and magnanimous man I tramp the blog’s desolate hinterland seeking out those slurring drunken threats towards moi.  And what do I find bouncing up and down in some dank and smelly corner mocking the blog’s creative behemoth BDM?  Why, it’s Yo-yo daring to take aim with a reference to my hat size.

Perhaps Yo sees himself as the drunken crown prince attempting to complete Jib’s unfinished embroidery on a Pride banner or the blog’s very own Kim Jong-un standing proudly on his viewing platform with his panty hose around his ankles like some old biddy whose 15 denure knitted stockings are too tight;  clearly Yo needs to sort out his gusset and leave BDM in peace.

• 86 Back Door Man // May 18, 2016 at 7:56 PM

a repost from last night …

What sort of mischief-making is that BandB … to suggest that the fragrant and wise Mr Tuff is a Peeler is beyond inappropriate.  Present your case, provide the evidence but let’s not drag Tuff off in some ramshackle tumbril whist the great unwashed here howl out through broken teeth, “off with his head”.

Yep, he’s occasionally straightened out a few on here regarding points of law and ‘clipped’ the odd lughole but that don’t make him Knacker of the Yard.

Expatmag – ex-Leases End boys should ALWAYS stick together … I know that scum reference was meant as a joke but some of the dicks on here might take it a gospel.

• 87 welshgeordie9 // May 18, 2016 at 8:08 PM

Are you in a bad mood.

• 88 welshgeordie9 // May 18, 2016 at 8:11 PM

I bet this goes into penalties, correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure Liverpool last couple of finals have gone into penalties and they have won them.

• 89 welshgeordie9 // May 18, 2016 at 8:12 PM

West Ham
    AC Milan

Think those were the teams

• 90 welshgeordie9 // May 18, 2016 at 8:13 PM

No goals yet quite boring.

• 91 ShirebrookToon // May 18, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Gameiro came closest to scoring so far

• 92 ShirebrookToon // May 18, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Cracking finish by Sturridge

• 93 ShirebrookToon // May 18, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Not a boring game now Welsh lol

• 94 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Ah! BDM! Nemesis here….

I thought unlike you that I would actually wait until I knew you were around before addressing you. You probably are Mr T in mischief mode a la Pokat, but in the present guise I’d just like to say regarding your last post addressed to me, Thank you very much for do long-windedly proving me correct.

What a draw blog day! The accusations of fair weather participation is hilariously hypocritical given the infusion of power the current optimism in Rafas seemingly impending employment has energised the nuisances and the downright angry to let both barrels ho at their tormentors. And yet the portly songstress has barely warmed her vocal cords. I applaud your bravery but I still wait until the fat lady hums a few practice bars before firing your 25-pounder told-you-so’s stored in grease dating back to the Chamberlain era.

• 95 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 8:25 PM

Also available in shorter words. Jib.

• 96 Jib // May 18, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Many a slip twixt cup and lip

• 97 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 8:35 PM

And for anyone else wanting to trawl back through Eds poor search facility, I can save you the bother of exposing my contradictions over the years.

I used to be optimistic about Ashley and his plans for the club

I think I may have been pleased about certain players being signed who turned out to be crap

I once thought sissoko would be a powerhouse for us.

I once thought Tiote was all but finished

I used to defend Coloccini as a player when others thought he was a problem

I used to think Cisse just needed more game time to come hood again.

I didn’t think there was a chance Rafa would consider the job in the championship ( although there’s still room for disappointment)

I’m sure there are more of them. But I think they can be put down to no more than changing circumstances, and reforming of opinion, so why does anyone need to go trawling back to find faults in people’s former opinions? Sad.

• 98 Rotonda heights // May 18, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Most kind and much appreciated. Have mutually always enjoyed your posts too and will never forget the honey badgers.

• 99 Rotonda heights // May 18, 2016 at 8:39 PM

2 red cards = 6 missed matches plus the 2 games he got sent off in, that’s quite a chunk

• 100 JackButler // May 18, 2016 at 8:44 PM

You’d think, that with the amount of money BT spent to get the football they’d employ someone with a personality that engages the viewers?

But no,mother employ, Captain Personality, Michael ‘I even bore my kids’ Owen!

• 101 Shadow_Shearer // May 18, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Waiting to hear some activity on the benitez deal. Ashley accepts all his demands. Ever since, there’s been no movement on it what so ever. Sitting here waiting aaaalllll day. Still nothing ro report.

Stupid penfold said they will make an effort to communicate with fans more!

• 102 Belfast // May 18, 2016 at 8:46 PM

What skunki is really trying to say is….. well he’s a wonka!

• 103 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Bit of Shakespeare there Jib. Nice. Have you heard of the Enginer hoist by his own petard? That’s a good one.

• 104 JackButler // May 18, 2016 at 8:49 PM

20 seconds after kicking off again Liverpool sound asleep

• 105 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Fold it more than five times and bung it, Belfast 🙂

• 106 Jib // May 18, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Tsunki – Wow – just wow
    Even for someone as conceited as you.
    A post with 9 sentences 8 of which start with ” I ” – that’s some going !

• 107 ShirebrookToon // May 18, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Kevin Gameiro. Weren’t we after him many moons ago?

• 108 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Mark Lawrenson
    Former Liverpool defender on BBC Radio 5 live
    Posted at 20:51

“Yet again Alberto Moreno, who used to play for Sevilla, has made a massive mistake. I’ve lost count of how many mistakes this guy has made.  It’s all very good pouring forward but the clue is in the title – left-back. Try defending occasionally.”

Excuse me Lawro, but – have you ever watched Paul Dummett? Just wondering.

• 109 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Jib once again your problem with context is palpably medical in severity. They are admissions, not self-aggrandisement, you feeble-brained cell. Explaining minutae in detail to you is not so much ball-aching as voluntarily surrendering a testicle to a starving Rhodesian Ridgeback.

• 110 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Shirebrook…don’t. Just….dont.

• 111 gazthehillbilly // May 18, 2016 at 9:01 PM

I don’t understand all the in fighting on this blog, as everyone is a fan/supporter we are all in the same boat RELAGATED! We surely all want what’s best any probably have differing opinions on what that may be. I am sure what’s right is a hybrid of all of our ideas and therefore we are all right and wrong to an extent, I would like to think we all agree this club is in a much better place when the fan base is UNITED. There are tough times ahead no doubt but no matter who owns the club or manages the club or plays for the club I for one will love this club until the end whatever, 35 years old now and have never realised it could be any different, from mirandinha, k.scott, d.kelly, p.bracewell, n.papavasillou, s.sellars,, sir les, l,Robert, c.bellamy, a.luque, a.mitrovic. Loads missed out but all good/ great at times and some bad but this is NUFC this is our club good or bad, let’s just enjoy it for what it is, Football a sport we all love! Will start posting more regular soon please don’t hang, draw and quarter me for my undying love of my club!

• 112 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Jack Butler surely you enjoy his homely nasal scouse lilt tinged with a zest of insincerity?

• 113 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 9:04 PM

Gaz welcome to the asylum, here’s the keys.

• 114 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Btw isn’t Paul Scharner still tied to a chair in Ketsys basement from our last drop? Might be time to let him get used to daylight ketsy.

• 115 ShirebrookToon // May 18, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Michael monotone Owen

• 116 ShirebrookToon // May 18, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Oh dear Liverpool 2-1 down

• 117 gazthehillbilly // May 18, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Curious to know how many posters are Geordies and in the thick of this( still in north east) how many Geordies abroad, how many NUFC your second team, how many not fans at all but like the craic?

• 118 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Anyway Jib, just because I’m so great doesn’t mean I’m conceited. it’s only conceit if it’s not deserved. 🙂

• 119 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Oh dear, Klopp of the Flopps unless he sorts this lot out.

• 120 JackButler // May 18, 2016 at 9:09 PM

No mate I can’t stand the little git, he’s got the personality of a house brick, so for BT to employ him AND Robbie Savage is a real head scratcher

• 121 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Gaz there’s us and there’s Welshgeordie. Ha ha just kidding. it’s an international blog mate so lots of expats, honorary Geordies. There’s probably only a handful of us living in the UK never mind the north east.

• 122 JackButler // May 18, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Hahaha 3-1 and the bin dippers are crying in the stands

• 123 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 9:13 PM

JB I’m with you it’s baffling that they thought employing a pair who could make keys and gray look convivial was a grand idea. Savage is an absolute grade A. Owen is as false as Carrs teeth and one of his eyes. And legs.

• 124 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 9:14 PM

And so Liverpool require one of their famous fight backs. Hmmm.

• 125 JackButler // May 18, 2016 at 9:16 PM

You’ve gotta laugh, Klopp looks like he wants to fight every single person in the ground

• 126 beermonkey // May 18, 2016 at 9:21 PM

evenin peeps

no news on rafa then
    the way the stories were coming thick and fast yesterday i half expected to hear he had signed today

hats of to rafa if he gets what he wants from the club, maybe after football he will have a go at politics

• 127 gazthehillbilly // May 18, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Cheers mate, I’m wallsend born living on the dark side now(South Shields) was just wondering how many are in the thick of it so to speak, I admire several foreign teams from afar but wouldn’t find myself getting so aggressive over differing opinions. Personally think we will bounce back next season and bypass fat Sam on the way!

• 128 BandB // May 18, 2016 at 9:31 PM

I don’t think the haggling will be over tens of millions Benitez wants to spend in the Championship.
    He will want assurances he is going to be able to retain the core of his team.
    After that he will want to know significant funds will be available to strengthen if we come straight back up, and that he won’t be binned in favour of someone less demanding and ambitious once he has got us back on the gravy train.

• 129 martoon // May 18, 2016 at 9:34 PM

Evening guys – I’ve been looking at the FFP rules for the Championship:
    Basically you are not allow to make a loss of more than £5m + £8m from shareholders. I don’t quite understand the shareholder bit especially as we are privately owned so does this mean Ashley could put in £8m if he wanted to? The interesting bit is the sanctions – if you get promoted they can only fine you which goes up depending how big the loss – but at worst it is about £2-3m – peanuts compared to the money you get in the premiership. However if you stay in the league then they can impose transfer embargos.
    So question is do you go for broke, get promoted and just pay the fine but risk a transfer embargo if you don’t make it?

• 130 jimmysmith // May 18, 2016 at 9:34 PM

I most often feel a twinge of sadness when great players wane with age, I assume for my own mortality, but in Wayne Rooney’s case, who I do much admire, less so, one because he has achieved so much, and another because Sturridge, Kane and Vardy are there to take his place. In fact, I’d rather see Carroll on the plane in his stead. That would be a collection of four very dangerous strikers to call on.

Hats off to Sevilla though. Brilliant Sturridge goal aside they’ve deserved it, and for those who haven’t been, a really wonderful city to visit.

• 131 beermonkey // May 18, 2016 at 9:40 PM

i think ur about right there
    i also think most will stay with him here as well

even sissoko who based on this season has more chance sh1ting in the queens hand bag than getting a top 4 club

i get the feeling rafa wants to build a fergie type legacy
    just hope we and rafa get what we want

• 132 manxpie // May 18, 2016 at 9:43 PM

bohoo liverpoo nah nah nah nah nah nah nah!

brilliant result couldn’t be doin with them getting champions league while we are relegated!

• 133 Tsunki // May 18, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Yes the Ashley tendency to be the dog returning to it’s vomit has the ring of reality about it. We can but twiddle our thumbs.

• 134 manxpie // May 18, 2016 at 9:44 PM

and to think they all hammered brenden rogers haha

• 135 BandB // May 18, 2016 at 9:44 PM

He isn’t damaged goods now.
    No-one will blame him for the relegation as he took over a madhouse.
    But if he gets unceremoniously dumped before he has something to show for it, he is.

• 136 manxpie // May 18, 2016 at 9:44 PM

klopp the saviour!! my arse!

• 137 jimmysmith // May 18, 2016 at 9:47 PM

A lot of top clubs would look at Sissoko and think he’s suffered because he’s been playing in a dysfunctional team, and at a dysfunctional club. And since he’d be relatively cheap by this markets standards, some will be more than tempted. I could see him interesting a club like Juventus for example.

• 138 beermonkey // May 18, 2016 at 9:53 PM

the club have proved a few time that they have no intensions of sacking our manager
    so the only thing would be the expense of having him
    but back in the prem there is more than enough money to keep rafa happy and the club accountant
    more so if we start getting extra revenue for advertising

it does looks like it could be win win for both sides if ashley will it

• 139 jimmysmith // May 18, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Actually, Newcastle would be nuts to sell Sissoko, if Rafa stays. In this market. He’s one good EPL season away from being a 50 million pound player, and Rafa could make him worth every penny.

• 140 manxpie // May 18, 2016 at 9:53 PM

jimmy nah i dont think so, his best performances for us was on his debut and the last game in wat 3.5 years?
    ya can’t blame that on a disfunctional team thats totally on him
    and i’m sure clubs will look at that and think for the money ashley will want theres better options out there

• 141 jimmysmith // May 18, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Part of this great effort to keep Rafa might also be to keep our very best young talent. Sissoko, Widjnaldum, Townsend, Perez, Janmaat, Mbemba, Aarons, even Krul. We have some excellent young players, whose premium is now low, because of our relegation and there sketchy form, and one thing we know about Ashley is he doesn’t at all fancy selling low to buy high.

• 142 jimmysmith // May 18, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Manx, Sissoko has been a disappointment, because of his great capacity, but he’s had a lot more than two great games for us, and no way have we been dysfunctional because of our better players. It’s been because we never had the depth and balance to give them the platform to perform at their best.

• 143 manxpie // May 18, 2016 at 10:07 PM

haha now liverpool fans saying the season isn’t good enough
    after saying rodgers weren’t good enough lol loving this
    with that squad klopp should have done way way better no if’s or but’s

• 144 BandB // May 18, 2016 at 10:14 PM

I suppose the precedent would be Chris Hughton.

• 145 manxpie // May 18, 2016 at 10:17 PM

jimmy seriously the only time we have seen sisko play to his best or wat we know he can do is his debut and against spurs on sunday i cant think of any other games where he has played anywhere near that level
    look at wini under rafa, no better at all even dropped
    even tho we had a rigid defensive formation for him to do his thing of course we have been difunctional because of our better players as they havent performed at all consistantly

players like willo and dummett always got abuse on here for actually doing there jobs where as the so called stars got bugger all for not even putting 100% in let alone anything else

sisko, wini, mitro and janmaat havent done enough this season simple as that especially compared with wat they could do

• 146 WWSBRD // May 18, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Our Toon
    The likes of me who jump on the mercenery bandwagon…huh? Firstly there’s no one the likes of me sunshine and secondly ur argument doesn’t half take a nose dive when u try to take a swipe at me for no real reason but hey ho…

Mitro is 21 yup so? Plenty of young players in the leagues across the world who don’t throw dangerous tackles on opponents regularly. As for taking it out of his game will make him a worse player, why exactly?

Him being our best striker well is he? He constantly misses perfectly easy chances and is best coming off the bench after 60 minutes, he started most games this season and we got relegated (not all his fault but if we had a better striker we wouldn’t of been relegated)

Next year he will learn some hard lessons and am not sure his temperament will allow that to happen easily, in fact I expect if he stays he will see plenty cards and get into more than one punch up

I eagerly await ur friendly reply stating that I am a terribly horrible young soul to pick on such a sweet and innocent Serbian

• 147 jimmysmith // May 18, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Manx, you build a competitive team, under capable management and give your better players the opportunity to make the difference.. Look at Leicester, and Mahrez, Kante, and Vardy.

Sissoko has played very well these last half dozen games, and with other purple patches here and there before. It is more than two games.

previous post: More Evidence Top Players Want To Stay On Tyneside