The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle’s European Ranking – Rock Bottom

6:54 pm, Tuesday, May 24th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 61 Comments

The CIES Observatory in Switzerland have looked at the estimated transfer cost per player in each of the clubs in the five major European Leagues and put together a league table – call it the transfer cost league – based on that figure for each of the clubs.

The five major European leagues were England (Premier League), Spain, Germany, France and Italy and the estimated transfer costs were based on things like age, transfer value and international appearances of the players.

They then looked at the actual finishing position of the clubs in each of the leagues and Newcastle came out to be 10 places lower than their position in the transfer cost  league.

Steve McClaren watford

Steve McClaren – Newcastle’s former head coach

Newcastle were 8th in the transfer cost league and finished in 18th place at the end of the season so the gap was -10.

That ties with Marseille as the club with the biggest negative gap and one way to look at that is that Newcastle and Marseilles wet the two most underperforming clubs in Europe last season based on the value of their players.

Newcastle’s  eighth costliest line up in England had an average of 7.9M (£6M) per player.

As a contrast, the cost per player at Leicester was 2.7M (£2M) which was 18th in the transfer cost league in England.

So since Leicester finished top that was 17 places above their transfer league position +17.

That was easily the best of any club in the five divisions  – the next best was Mainz in the Bundesliga with +10.

It’s a way of showing how Newcastle massively under-performed last season.

Another way of looking at it is the extent to which Steve McClaren failed to get the best out of the players he had available.

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

61 responses so far ↓

• 1 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 24, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Giving him a chance is fine. Like you say, you can’t know in advance that they are going to suck. Pardew didn’t suck that badly at the start,he was just boring. Wally was meant to be more attacking (which he might have been but was so disorganised we never seen it). There were one or two on here who did herrald wally’s arrival as the coming of our next saviour, which is a bit much considering all things. Those are the people are believe Tuff is calling out.

• 2 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 24, 2016 at 6:59 PM

On this article…

That is a lot of info processed and collated and printed for ABSOLUTELY NO MEANINGFUL OUTCOME of we are honest. Was it done by “The union of people who had nowt better to do for a month”?

• 3 Mister Tuff // May 24, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Mactoon – I believe it was toonbrother.

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 24, 2016 at 7:02 PM

I mean, come on. Estimated value based on blahblahbla,and compared to flibbleflibbleflapwazzock. What a pile of bimblebimbledonkeysnook

• 5 MacToon // May 24, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Too easy ………. didn’t even need a clue.

• 6 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 24, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Toonbotherer was too busy blaming coloccini for global warming, to concentrate on forming a sensible opinion on Wally

• 7 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 24, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Did my bimble kill the blog?

• 8 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Bimblebimbledonkeysnook? I liked it! It says we’re -10. Quite what I expected with Steve McSmoothie in charge for most of the season. I’m surprised it wasn’t worse in fact with the excellent help of Lee Rubbishley, and Graham Carrtoon.

• 9 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 7:22 PM

No it was your pimple that killed things YCMIU mate. Everyone was busy staring at it in horrified fascination.

• 10 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Burt was also in Kiss of the Dragon Ron mate. I’m sure I saw that but don’t remember old Burt. Must have been a small part.

• 11 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 7:27 PM

It’s actually a very solid question Mr. Tuff. Most people didn’t want him based on the polls that were done. I thought he would be average but I worried about the players being brought in. It seemed to be done with no thought to a balanced team. Many others have said the same. With better incoming I think McSmoothie would have got us to about 12th-15th. The real disaster was the recruitment policy invented by the pinhead at the top.

• 12 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 7:28 PM

And it’s a well known fact that Colo is responsible for global warming…. He’s very flatulent you know…. Harrumph.

• 13 G // May 24, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Whats with all of the people talking to themselves on the blog these days? I know its comparitively quiet, but we have just been relegated to be fair.

• 14 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 24, 2016 at 7:30 PM

I thought it might be all 0f that hair spray he uses on his perm.

• 15 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Well come on more and us some good debating points G mate. Otherwise it’s just more bimblebimbledonkeysnook. And yes that is possible YCMIU mate. I never liked his tufty either.

• 16 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Our top bloggers are probably out enjoying their prize winnings from the great Blogger Ratings event. Get back to work you lot. You can’t just rest on your laurels. I’m already compiling my new ratings….

• 17 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Or possibly even give us some good debating points G mate. A lot more needs to be said about how poorly the club has been run over the last few seasons. Not just the whole McSmoothie debacle. What about all the other debacles? Harrumph.

• 18 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Of course many of you are waiting with breathless anticipation for the upcoming Newcastle United Personnel Ratings. I’m very excited myself. Stay tuned.

• 19 AndyMac // May 24, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Forget this little known or or pointless survey what really matters is how far down the UEFA table NUFC are now. Yet less than ten years ago we were on a par with the RBD’s and above the Spuds.
    Thanks Fatman

• 20 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 7:52 PM

We’re 69th on that list AndyMac. I thought we’d be much worse than that after the last 2 seasons. Only 69th! Well, that is exciting progress then Ashley…..

• 21 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 7:55 PM

I’m just basking in the glow of being 69th on that list thanks to Ashley lads. Success is a beautiful thing isn’t it?

• 22 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 8:12 PM

• 23 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 8:13 PM

That is not a pointless survey AndyMac mate. It’s very pointy. And we’re lying across some of the sharpest points in 69th place. You wouldn’t believe some of the clubs above us…..

• 24 AncientC // May 24, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Nothing yet, from the Papal Conclave?

Familiarity breeds contempt.

• 25 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 8:18 PM

I mean Celtic in 54th place for Gosh Darn Sakes?

• 26 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Yes, it’s worrisome AncientC mate. I thought we’d be seeing white smoke coming out of the St. James Park chimney by now. I’m getting concerned. In fact colour me downright worried…..

• 27 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 8:20 PM

What is holding things up Ashley you pinhead?

• 28 loonie-toon // May 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Still news on rafa lol

• 29 dok - the horrid colonial // May 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM

no need to disrespect pinheads..

• 30 loonie-toon // May 24, 2016 at 8:25 PM

The home top would been better blue instead yellow and puma badge blue too and especially diffrent logo instead of wongo I won’t b buying any of them

• 31 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Well, harrumph, you’re probably right dok mate. I apologize to all pinheads except Ashley. If he blows this deal I will personally poop in his wellies.

• 32 firebug666 // May 24, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Newcastle United set to hand Kevin Mbabu a new two-year contract

• 33 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 8:31 PM

AZ Alkmaar, our old nemesis from a few years back, in 44th place…. I just can’t get enough of this table AndyMac. I’m eating it up with a spoon…..

• 34 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Nice work firebug mate. That’s definitely going on your Blogger Rating….

• 35 firebug666 // May 24, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Ah ha A blogger rating eh! So what is a copy and paste worth? Just checking, as I want to know how much I will have to do to catch up with Jib. 😀

• 36 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Well it’s complicated how I arrive at my Blogger Ratings firebug mate. And on a need to know basis only but this is good news you’ve brought to us. Let’s just say you’re making good headway for next seasons Blogger Finale. I mean look at AndyMac. He came up with that lovely UEFA table where we’re 69th. Beautiful work lads.

• 37 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 8:40 PM

PAOK FC are 56th? I just don’t believe it…..

• 38 dok - the horrid colonial // May 24, 2016 at 8:43 PM

heads of pins have a purpose… still unsure about our fearless leader however…

• 39 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 8:46 PM

His purpose is to muck things up royally dok mate. That has become clear to me now after 9 years of suffering….

• 40 WWSBRD // May 24, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Finally something that points out how bad we are, too many were under the impression we were great this season the fools!

• 41 Jib // May 24, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Thank f’@ck for that – the irrelevant Canadian has gone.

Now for the proper footy stuff !

True I was a McClaren supporter

I was misguided true , but people are forgetting how dire we were under Carver.

It could well be that Mr Charnley is much more of a fox than we think.

Tsunki thinks cos he looks like a prick he is one – silly fellow.

Appoint Carver for 6 months and anyone is going to look better – I fell for it !

We could be getting the same con again – maybe Munster is right.

The Rafalution is wallybrolly on another level – who knows !

• 42 Yo-yo // May 24, 2016 at 9:03 PM

What did you teach JIB ?

• 43 Jib // May 24, 2016 at 9:05 PM

• 44 Jib // May 24, 2016 at 9:06 PM

but me spelling was shyte

• 45 Tsunki // May 24, 2016 at 9:27 PM

Thanks for the irrelevant and uncalled for insult Jib. Btw you couldn’t teach a dog to take a dump so I doubt you’ve ever lectured anyone except on touch typing search patterns.

• 46 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 9:30 PM

I thought you were turning over a new leaf Jib. I guess not. Sad that. WWSBRD you got me with that one @40. Pointing out the obvious never hurts now and then. I’m ready to rock the Championship though if we keep Rafa.

• 47 willowdalerez // May 24, 2016 at 9:32 PM

I didn’t mind the Macca signing at the time. Didn’t herald him as the second coming of Sir Bobby Robson but thought he’d get the job done. He certainly tried to play more attacking football but the squad didn’t play for him and I gave him too many chances though I was eager to see him replaced much sooner than he was (shortly after he failed to turn things around after the January signings).

In any event, while I admit my mistake with respect to Macca, I still have a lot more football sense than those that were calling our relegation after the first 10 games (and even earlier) those types can barely be called supporters and have no footy sense whatsoever.

In addition lime most on here I repeatedly posted that our transfer dealings failed to address the need to bring in a proven prem striker and a solid CB and tbh had that been done we would not have been relegated (bar injuries to them) under Macca or really anyone else. Part and parcel of that were my repeated posts begging us to sign Charlie Austin when we could have had him at 15 M in the summer and that signing alone could have made the difference. Austin has a nose for the net and can finish, instead we went and bought Mitro at 13 M and we all know how that went (the guy can hold the ball up but can’t finish not even tap ins except with his head or from the penalty spot plus he took 2 straight reds early in the season against Arsenal and then in our last game at Arsenal – what has he learnt – nothing). Now Austin rides the bench waiting for his chance at Southampton.

All in all, at least I’m a supporter and own up to my mistakes and I’ve better football sense than Charnley, and Carr put together (not that that’s saying anything which is abjectly sad).

Final note – I’ve repeatedly posted Rafa won’t stay on and go down with us to the Championship and anyone on here believes different is deluding themselves. I stand by that. The negotiations are all just a smokescreen to cover while Charnley arranges a new pet to do his bidding, if change was coming Charnley and Carr would have been out immediately after the season. They weren’t so business as usual. Rafa has better sense than to risk his professional neck below the deck in the championship when he will have a flock of heavy hitters after him.

Someone posted something interesting that he might stay on only if given full control, a big budget and only if motivated by a personal desire to build an even greater personal legacy for himself by taking a club with potential to be huge and ten getting it there… could see that just don’t see Ashley doing the other side of the equation. I might be wrong but the fact Charnley is still in charge has me thinking otherwise. Hope I’m wrong and get mocked for it but if Rafa were going to stay it could easily have been done by now.

• 48 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 9:36 PM

I forgot to ask (probably wasting my time here) but what makes you relevant Jib?

• 49 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 9:40 PM

It’s funny how Jib always disappears when somebody asks him anything at all….

• 50 GeordieTwo // May 24, 2016 at 9:41 PM

You can come back now Jib, I’m off for a bit.

• 51 WWSBRD // May 24, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Haha true suppose it highlights the varied ways in which we are sh*t. Aye I think Rafas going no where and we will romp the championship (though get less points than last time)

On a side note I must be loosing it because I saw the new short leak and I must confess I like the home one ( I look forward to me purchasing it on 5-6 years for 99p off eBay) I saw one with the brown ale shopped on as sponsor aswell oh it was pretty

• 52 WWSBRD // May 24, 2016 at 9:44 PM

“What makes u relevant” haha I like that a lot, if I was able to score posts that would be a 10. Beautiful

• 53 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 24, 2016 at 9:44 PM

WOW! Must be one of the first times in his blog career that Jib has admitted being wrong without a cheeky comment…..

Changed times under Rafa !!!

• 54 willowdalerez // May 24, 2016 at 9:48 PM

In my post above 2nd straight red to Mitro was our last game at Spurs was typing too quick.

• 55 BandB // May 24, 2016 at 9:50 PM

It’s a year to the very day since we starting making our own luck and striving to win things.

Happy anniversary, brave new world.

• 56 Yo-yo // May 24, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Not a conventional school subject, or even in FE. How come you were going on about the one student who didn’t get it and then made some reference to remedial education then ? What was that all about ?

Actually I did know a secondary philosophy teacher once. The kids did worksheets with pictures of Descartes and thought bubbles with ” I think therefore I am ” coming out of his head.

• 57 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 24, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Makes sense to give him a 2 year deal as he has quality but needs to prove his fitness if he was fit for most of the season he would potentially be the first choice right back at the end of it as he has all the tools needed !

• 58 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // May 24, 2016 at 10:21 PM

Lol@ jib.

• 59 Tsunki // May 24, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Hang on wasn’t Jib lecturing on modern European history or crochet or black belt origami or something? Can’t recall

• 60 Yo-yo // May 24, 2016 at 10:24 PM

and driving a taxi round the Byker Wall

• 61 Mister Tuff // May 24, 2016 at 10:37 PM

Please let’s not have a go at our educationalists – a very worthwhile profession -guiding future generations to achieve their goals on the basis of a sound education.
    Tonight Jib Jibberish has stated he teaches philosophy. Wow not an easy subject to master at all.
    Previously Jib has stated that he is a lecturer in Modern European History :-
    “Jib // Jun 14, 2015 at 10:45 AM
    Never Googled it
    Didn’t have to cos , I know stuff , am well travelled , read a lot , and most importantly listen.
    Just because a blogger explains something doesn’t mean he agrees with it.
    I lecture on Modern European History , I could tell you stuff about the Einsatzgruppen in the Ukraine that would make your hair stand on end , that doesn’t mean I agree with genocide.”

Wow that’s another tough subject.
    Let’s give Jib a break tonight – he bravely coughed up to erring about Wally Brolly ( unlike some who do not have the cojones)

Teaching two subjects – He must surely be Professor Jib Jibberish wow – you just don’t know who gets onto the blog.

previous post: Newcastle’s Away Strip Leaked For Next Season