Newcastle’s European Ranking – Rock Bottom

The CIES Observatory in Switzerland have looked at the estimated transfer cost per player in each of the clubs in the five major European Leagues and put together a league table – call it the transfer cost league – based on that figure for each of the clubs.

The five major European leagues were England (Premier League), Spain, Germany, France and Italy and the estimated transfer costs were based on things like age, transfer value and international appearances of the players.

They then looked at the actual finishing position of the clubs in each of the leagues and Newcastle came out to be 10 places lower than their position in the transfer cost  league.

Steve McClaren watford

Steve McClaren – Newcastle’s former head coach

Newcastle were 8th in the transfer cost league and finished in 18th place at the end of the season so the gap was -10.

That ties with Marseille as the club with the biggest negative gap and one way to look at that is that Newcastle and Marseilles wet the two most underperforming clubs in Europe last season based on the value of their players.

Newcastle’s  eighth costliest line up in England had an average of 7.9M (£6M) per player.

As a contrast, the cost per player at Leicester was 2.7M (£2M) which was 18th in the transfer cost league in England.

So since Leicester finished top that was 17 places above their transfer league position +17.

That was easily the best of any club in the five divisions  – the next best was Mainz in the Bundesliga with +10.

It’s a way of showing how Newcastle massively under-performed last season.

Another way of looking at it is the extent to which Steve McClaren failed to get the best out of the players he had available.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 24, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Welsh

Giving him a chance is fine. Like you say, you can’t know in advance that they are going to suck. Pardew didn’t suck that badly at the start,he was just boring. Wally was meant to be more attacking (which he might have been but was so disorganised we never seen it). There were one or two on here who did herrald wally’s arrival as the coming of our next saviour, which is a bit much considering all things. Those are the people are believe Tuff is calling out.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 24, 2016 at 6:59 PM

On this article…

That is a lot of info processed and collated and printed for ABSOLUTELY NO MEANINGFUL OUTCOME of we are honest. Was it done by “The union of people who had nowt better to do for a month”?

• Mister Tuff

May 24, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Mactoon – I believe it was toonbrother.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 24, 2016 at 7:02 PM

I mean, come on. Estimated value based on blahblahbla,and compared to flibbleflibbleflapwazzock. What a pile of bimblebimbledonkeysnook

• MacToon

May 24, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Too easy ………. didn’t even need a clue.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 24, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Toonbotherer was too busy blaming coloccini for global warming, to concentrate on forming a sensible opinion on Wally

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 24, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Did my bimble kill the blog?

May 24, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Bimblebimbledonkeysnook? I liked it! It says we’re -10. Quite what I expected with Steve McSmoothie in charge for most of the season. I’m surprised it wasn’t worse in fact with the excellent help of Lee Rubbishley, and Graham Carrtoon.

May 24, 2016 at 7:22 PM

No it was your pimple that killed things YCMIU mate. Everyone was busy staring at it in horrified fascination.

May 24, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Burt was also in Kiss of the Dragon Ron mate. I’m sure I saw that but don’t remember old Burt. Must have been a small part.

May 24, 2016 at 7:27 PM

It’s actually a very solid question Mr. Tuff. Most people didn’t want him based on the polls that were done. I thought he would be average but I worried about the players being brought in. It seemed to be done with no thought to a balanced team. Many others have said the same. With better incoming I think McSmoothie would have got us to about 12th-15th. The real disaster was the recruitment policy invented by the pinhead at the top.

May 24, 2016 at 7:28 PM

And it’s a well known fact that Colo is responsible for global warming…. He’s very flatulent you know…. Harrumph.

• G

May 24, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Whats with all of the people talking to themselves on the blog these days? I know its comparitively quiet, but we have just been relegated to be fair.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 24, 2016 at 7:30 PM

G2

I thought it might be all 0f that hair spray he uses on his perm.

May 24, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Well come on more and us some good debating points G mate. Otherwise it’s just more bimblebimbledonkeysnook. And yes that is possible YCMIU mate. I never liked his tufty either.

May 24, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Our top bloggers are probably out enjoying their prize winnings from the great Blogger Ratings event. Get back to work you lot. You can’t just rest on your laurels. I’m already compiling my new ratings….

May 24, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Or possibly even give us some good debating points G mate. A lot more needs to be said about how poorly the club has been run over the last few seasons. Not just the whole McSmoothie debacle. What about all the other debacles? Harrumph.

May 24, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Of course many of you are waiting with breathless anticipation for the upcoming Newcastle United Personnel Ratings. I’m very excited myself. Stay tuned.

• AndyMac

May 24, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Forget this little known or or pointless survey what really matters is how far down the UEFA table NUFC are now. Yet less than ten years ago we were on a par with the RBD’s and above the Spuds.

Thanks Fatman

May 24, 2016 at 7:52 PM

We’re 69th on that list AndyMac. I thought we’d be much worse than that after the last 2 seasons. Only 69th! Well, that is exciting progress then Ashley…..

May 24, 2016 at 7:55 PM

I’m just basking in the glow of being 69th on that list thanks to Ashley lads. Success is a beautiful thing isn’t it?

May 24, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Fibblefibbleflapwazzock?

May 24, 2016 at 8:13 PM

That is not a pointless survey AndyMac mate. It’s very pointy. And we’re lying across some of the sharpest points in 69th place. You wouldn’t believe some of the clubs above us…..

• AncientC

May 24, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Nothing yet, from the Papal Conclave?

Familiarity breeds contempt.

May 24, 2016 at 8:18 PM

I mean Celtic in 54th place for Gosh Darn Sakes?

May 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Yes, it’s worrisome AncientC mate. I thought we’d be seeing white smoke coming out of the St. James Park chimney by now. I’m getting concerned. In fact colour me downright worried…..

May 24, 2016 at 8:20 PM

What is holding things up Ashley you pinhead?

• loonie-toon

May 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Still news on rafa lol

• dok - the horrid colonial

May 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM

G2,

no need to disrespect pinheads..

• loonie-toon

May 24, 2016 at 8:25 PM

The home top would been better blue instead yellow and puma badge blue too and especially diffrent logo instead of wongo I won’t b buying any of them

May 24, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Well, harrumph, you’re probably right dok mate. I apologize to all pinheads except Ashley. If he blows this deal I will personally poop in his wellies.

• firebug666

May 24, 2016 at 8:30 PM

May 24, 2016 at 8:31 PM

AZ Alkmaar, our old nemesis from a few years back, in 44th place…. I just can’t get enough of this table AndyMac. I’m eating it up with a spoon…..

May 24, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Nice work firebug mate. That’s definitely going on your Blogger Rating….

• firebug666

May 24, 2016 at 8:35 PM

G2

Ah ha A blogger rating eh! So what is a copy and paste worth? Just checking, as I want to know how much I will have to do to catch up with Jib. 😀

May 24, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Well it’s complicated how I arrive at my Blogger Ratings firebug mate. And on a need to know basis only but this is good news you’ve brought to us. Let’s just say you’re making good headway for next seasons Blogger Finale. I mean look at AndyMac. He came up with that lovely UEFA table where we’re 69th. Beautiful work lads.

May 24, 2016 at 8:40 PM

PAOK FC are 56th? I just don’t believe it…..

• dok - the horrid colonial

May 24, 2016 at 8:43 PM

G2,

heads of pins have a purpose… still unsure about our fearless leader however…

May 24, 2016 at 8:46 PM

His purpose is to muck things up royally dok mate. That has become clear to me now after 9 years of suffering….

• WWSBRD

May 24, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Finally something that points out how bad we are, too many were under the impression we were great this season the fools!