The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Midfielder – Get Rafa In – The Players Want Him

4:53 pm, Wednesday, May 25th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 55 Comments

Jack Colback has been interviewed on the Newcastle web-site today – and it’s on a day when Rafa Benitez is back in toon to sign a three year deal at the club.

Rafa is expected to sign on later today once the fine details have all been checked out – something the club has worked on for the best part of two weeks.

jack Colback Rafa Benitez swansea

Jack Colback shakes hands with Rafa Benitez

So it’s timely that Jack says the first thing the club should do is to get Rafa Benitez in.

Here’s what Jack has said:

“The first thing would be to get Rafa Benitez on board for next season.”

“That will be a big step because he’s a huge name in the game and it would be a real positive to keep hold of him.”

“He’s been good since he’s came in and he’s improved the team and got everyone playing for each other.”

“It wasn’t enough to keep us up but keeping him would restore the positivity ahead of the new season. But it’s down to Rafa and the Board to decide what happens.”

“I know the players want him to stay and fingers crossed he does because that will give us a great chance of getting promoted.”

“We need to keep hold of the right players and sign the right players,”  “There are a lot of games and we need a strong squad with good players who are up for the challenge.

“We’ll need players who can properly help the team now, not a few years down the line. It’s a tough league and you need a strong group of characters in order to get promoted.”

Jack is one of many players that suddenly looked better players once Rafa had coached them for a few weeks, but time was short when Rafa arrived and he gained just one point from his four games.

But then in the final six games of the season we got 12 points and finished on 37 points but still 3 points short of safety.

That was a massive 32% of our points in the final 16% of the games.

Rafa was brought in too late – and that was yet another bad mistake by those running the club.

But that will all change now because Rafa Benitez is now in charge at Newcastle United for all intents and purposes.

That cannot be bad.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Jack Colback · Management · Newcastle News · Other News

55 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Be firm with that lot Rafa. Fong them when you need to. Keep Mitro on a leash in the corner and point to him when you’re getting attitude from somebody. One look from Mitro should sort that oot….. Harrumph.

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Timely? More like the club knew it was nearly done and roles someone out from the playing staff who isn’t on his jollies or international duty to voice the playing squads approval.

Imagine if he had done this interview a week ago, and it hadn’t gone through.

For timely, read staged. Not that I am saying there is anything wrong with it, before someone says otherwise, but lets call a spade a spade.

• 3 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:04 PM

Well I’m off to the grand opening of my new health food shop The Happy Carrot now. Wish me luck mates.

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 5:04 PM

• 5 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:04 PM

We do takeaways by the way in case you lot want to send in some orders.

• 6 Ron Knee // May 25, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Have you got a website?

• 7 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Not yet Ron mate. But I’ve got some very nice literature I can send you. My pamphlet “What you can do with your lettuce” is very entertaining.

• 8 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:16 PM

So who wants the pamphlet then?

• 9 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:17 PM

I also like “How not to get depressed while eating your vegetables.”

• 10 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 25, 2016 at 5:20 PM

If its true that Carr’s first choices are usually looked over then I see nothing wrong with him still presenting players to Rafa ? If Rafa thinks his first choices are goers then fair play!

Although I suspect Carr will be gutted to not have veto powers anymore

Mondial will be crying they will need to cancel the christmas party that is usually provided by Newcastle !

• 11 Ron Knee // May 25, 2016 at 5:20 PM

I think you’re on to a winner there!

• 12 hibbitt // May 25, 2016 at 5:20 PM

i do free range hen and duck eggs any interest ?
    i can deliver Vancouver you say

• 13 giimps // May 25, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Does it have to be my lettuce , only I might be able to get a loan of one for over the summer?

• 14 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:22 PM

But my favourite is “Why men are better than a cucumber.”

• 15 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 25, 2016 at 5:24 PM

At least we will be properly prepared for the Championship by the time it kicks off cant really afford a slow start

• 16 nufc 11 // May 25, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Elliot,Anita,mbeama,lascelles,mbabu,Phillips,tiote,shelvy,Townsend, mitrovic,Armstrong we Will need further investment next summer but that team should win the championship.

• 17 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Hmmm. A loan you say giimps? I don’t normally do that with lettuce…. But, I do have a very nice Cobb salad I can give you for two weeks or so?

• 18 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:27 PM

I have a small ostrich ranch as well hibbit mate, so eggs aren’t a problem. I do have sore ribs from collecting them however……

• 19 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Getting serious about footy again what about a new captain? We’ll need a real leader out there. Somebody who can grab that lot by the short and curlies and get them playing well straight off. Any ideas anybody?

• 20 Charlie in the Gallowgate // May 25, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Press conference 7.00pm tonight

BBC radio newcastle Total sport special starting NOOOO!!!!

• 21 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Some may scoff at this but what about Lascelles? Is it too soon? He is young but he said what needed to be said already in the season.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // May 25, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Stevie Gerrard G2

• 23 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 5:33 PM

It’s hard to pick a captain from our existing squad. We don’t know who is leaving. I would be open to the idea of giving shelvey another chance, as i think he could make something of himself in this league, and carry it forward to the following season. Other than that, i think we need to buy a captain. Collo can eff off.

• 24 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 25, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Out of the current squad Lascalles for captain ! Although I suspect Benitez will buy someone to be captain like Agger or someone like that

• 25 Charlie in the Gallowgate // May 25, 2016 at 5:36 PM

BBC Newcastle – confirm that RAFA is staying…

• 26 No Defence // May 25, 2016 at 5:38 PM

I agree with you lass, for the reasons you have already given, not scared to tell them how it is.

• 27 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Conference in 1hr and 20 mins.

• 28 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:39 PM

I think Shelvey looks too much like Dr. Evil YCMIU mate. I think we have to go with something more friendly at first. If we really need to terrify other teams then we definitely go with Mitro as captain….

• 29 No Defence // May 25, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Lascelles, bloody phone

• 30 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 5:40 PM

No Defence

You fo know G2 is a bloke, right?

• 31 stuart no9 // May 25, 2016 at 5:41 PM

7 pm news conference confirming benitez s 3 year deal

• 32 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 5:41 PM

No Defence

Hahahaha i thought you were calling him a lass 😮

• 33 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 5:41 PM

G I also agree with you, lass.

• 34 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:43 PM

I’m actually quite manly No Defence mate. But I haven’t laughed so much since I was a wee girl. Thanks for that @26. Yes we need somebody with some large cajones for a change. It would be Mitro but he’s far too terrifying for the Championship. We should save him for when we get back to the Prem.

• 35 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 5:43 PM

G2 wouldn’t be so bad if he could organise sharks with frickin’ laser beams attached to their heads would it…

• 36 No Defence // May 25, 2016 at 5:44 PM

Hahahaha, sometimes I could just throw this bloody phone through the window.

• 37 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:44 PM

Is anybody else oot there confused about my manliness? Well keep it to yourself! Harrumph…..

• 38 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Anybody official announcing anything yet? Don’t say BBC Newcastle. What does indykaila have on this?

• 39 lochinvar // May 25, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Get ready , set , go

• 40 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 5:46 PM

No Defence, if you did it would land on a very large heap of other phones.

• 41 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 25, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Agger in – Free
    Morrison in – Free
    Dunk in from Brighton
    Mccormack in from Fulham
    Redmond in from Norwich
    Trippier in from Spurs
    Robertson in from Hull
    Rodriguez in from Southampton on Loan
    Hughes in from Derby

Good selection of youth and experience with 100% work ethic would allow us to storm the championship

• 42 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // May 25, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Martoon I posted what I thought but I didn’t see my username. Unless I was jack… I think I remember changing it to that since that is my actual name.

• 43 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 5:47 PM

No Defence, I can’t help noticing you’ve proudly taken your name from our great club. 🙂

• 44 No Defence // May 25, 2016 at 5:48 PM

I would luv to see Gerrard here, great captain.

• 45 Mister Tuff // May 25, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Cannot see Benitez being accompanied by anyone at the press conference.
    Exceptionally interesting to see how far he goes in revealing any concessions he has obtained.
    I would anticipate that there will be no fannying around in the next couple of weeks and things will start to evolve pretty quick.
    Still think Sissoko will be gone.
    Need to get rid of Cisse as well.

• 46 stuart no9 // May 25, 2016 at 5:50 PM

who else feels the same as me.??…. Over the last 5 or 6 people coming up to me and asking why im p@@sed off with the club , telling me how good of a manager weve got or Ashley doing everything for the club and that i should be happy that he took over NUFC and that we are where we are because we are no bigger than any other club and we have no right to be moaning about the club, the one thing they always said was ” we are impatiant ” which made my blood boil , now however , they are going to understand what NUFC is all about and let them see just why we wernt happy . now they are going to ”get it”

• 47 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Have you not tried searching on “Rob”, Ymfb? I’d try that one. There’s another to try but try that first. Or you could search with the string “hospital;dying;anaesthetic;paralysed;gay” might get some results with that.

• 48 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Throw me a frikin’ bone. Begin the unnecessarily slow dipping mechanism!
    Indykaila will be anouncing his exclusive at 7:30….. after NUFCs 7:00 presser that sky have reported.

• 49 Mister Tuff // May 25, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Just checked the official site – says NUFC are calling a press conference for 7pm – nothing else.

• 50 No Defence // May 25, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Yea but looks like I’ll have to change it now. (But don’t know how)

• 51 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Spot on Mr. Tuff. I believe there will be a clear out as well. At least 3 or 4 more players to follow Marveaux and Obertan. That’s a must to get the atmosphere right. Surely Saylor, Cisse, and of course Doumbia (or is he already gone?). And is Goofy going to be used? And what about Saivet? Couldn’t he be sold back to somebody in France?

• 52 Jail for Ashley // May 25, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Can you watch the presser on one of these android boxes?

• 53 Blackley and Brownlie // May 25, 2016 at 6:01 PM

28Bobbybee // May 25, 2016 at 12:42 PM

B&B, were you in on the negotiations then? You know exactly how it went down? A quietly whispered ‘well done’ is hardly great praise, is it? You stay miserable, i’m happy as it gets. So what’s this then? Ashley just lulling us into a false sense of security before he sacks him? We wanted him to stay out of football. He did that. We wanted investment. He did that. We wanted Rafa. He’s changed everything in order to get him. He’s given Rafa everything he asked for. Some people will never be happy because they don’t want to be. That says more about the person than the situation though.

Not sure why you’re focusing on events behind closed doors and questioning who is in the know?

I’m not miserable. I’m sanguine. Unlike you, I’m not as happy as it gets.

Every time Ashley’s been involved in footballing matters, he’s ballsed up. It’s not as if we haven’t seen such optimism before. Shearer and Keegan, for example.

It was only a few weeks ago, after Ashley’s own man Charnley screwed up, Ashley warned that the club should not look to him for more money. If the club’s spent it, that’s it. His statement of intent went out the window in 12 short months and he washed his hands of responsibility, even though he was the one who said, “my door”. So you praise Mike if you want to.

Actions speak louder than words. I’ll praise Ashley if he ever gets it right on the field and we win something. So far, it’s nearly a decade of my NUFC supporting life not just wasted but spent in varying degrees of humiliation.

• 54 Lindisfarne // May 25, 2016 at 6:04 PM

LC bunga party

Good shout for Rodreguez(?) from Southampton and Dunk, but I can not understand why Ross McCormack is being mentioned.

With one more CD we will have Mbemba, Lascelles, Dunk(?) and Dummett, plus a few youth players. We need one right back to pair with Mbabu and two left backs.

I am not sure how Armstrong will fit into Rafas 4231 system, but all the other existing players I am not concerned if they stay or go.

• 55 hate // May 25, 2016 at 6:38 PM