The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Could Keep All The Top Stars At Newcastle

3:38 pm, Wednesday, May 25th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 80 Comments

Rafa Benitez could make it very tough for some of our top stars to leave Newcastle this summer,  if Rafa wants them to stay to form the foundation of the new side he is building at the club.

That’s the news in the Chronicle today and it does seem as though Newcastle are not too short of cash and can adequately survive for one season down below.

There are a number of players who may want to leave the club this summer and they include the likes of  Moussa Sissoko , Gini Wijnaldum , Cheick Tiote, Daryl Janmaat, Papiss Cisse and Andros Townsend.

rafa benitez v sign

Rafa Benitez – can get tough when he needs to

But if Rafa sees these players as those he would want in a year’s time, when hopefully we are back in the Premier League, then why let them leave in the first place?

Benitez has well known abilities of convincing players what’s good for them.

Some players will be allowed to leave – but only those who the world-class manager thinks are expendable and there are enough of them.

But for some of our top players it may mean staying at Newcastle in the second division for one season.

They certainly will not miss out financially, with the players all staying on the wages they got last season and that would mean Rafa would have had them for another year as he gets his methods through to the squad.

Rafa wants to start immediately to build a top class squad for the future at Newcastle and that’s for more than just gaining promotion next May.

Rafa also has every legal right to demand that players respect their contracts at the club, but it will only be a few players at most he may have to persuade to stay.

Rafa has previously made it clear he would want most of the squad to stay if he took over:

“The idea is that the majority of the players they would stay.”

“It depends. Maybe we will receive a massive offer for a player we have to consider, but the players know at the moment they have to stay.”

“Then the club will decide little by little on each individual.”

From what we heard from the likes of Andros Townsend and even Daryl Janmaat it may not take a lot of persuading for them to stay at the club – now that Rafa is the manager for at least the next three years.

Most of the players just loved being coached by Rafa and there may not be too much resistance to staying if  Rafa wants a player to stay – the players should take that as a compliment.

The likelihood is that for season 2017-2018 Newcastle could be pushing for a top six spot in the Premier League – and we could even have a good chance of long runs in the cup competitions starting this season.

Everything changes with Rafa Benitez running Newcastle.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League · Recruitment · Scouting Network

80 responses so far ↓

• 1 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 3:39 PM

I once got a smack for doing that 🙁

• 2 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 3:40 PM

Mark I am open source I just crave acknowledgement. However I do accept donations for further research purposes, especially in the field of Doom Merchandising which I am also interested in, although I can’t see any future in it frankly.

• 3 Back Door Man // May 25, 2016 at 3:41 PM

What time is this ‘OFFICIAL’ announcement meant to take place?

• 4 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 3:41 PM

You get worse for following up by jamming those digits up your nose, BandB. it’s a tough life for a three year old.

• 5 hibbitt // May 25, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Its not just Rafa it’s the quality of staff / coaches he will bring in
    hoping for improvements in all areas right across the club

• 6 clinath@ed // May 25, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Repost:

it was last week sometime Lil…..the possible clash of personalities/egos between Rafa and Ashley is my only concern, as the only victims would be us fans.
    But that’s for another day, I’m just enjoying the GOOD news while it lasts….

• 7 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Shall I start us off, Ed?

Ah one an ah two…

All the Stars are coming out tonight
    They’re lighting up the sky tonight
    For yooooo
    For yoooo- oooooooo!!!

• 8 bettyswallocks // May 25, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Tsunki……. You must try it. It’s almost green in colour from the Appley, fruity content and yet retains a dry crisp quality. Not at all too sweet.

I’d be interested to hear what you think.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 3:44 PM

I’d still expect Sissoko and Janmaat to go. Both have talked of Champions league, and regardless of Rafa I think will not want a year in the championship. I think they can be replaced with more consistently effective performers anyway, so wouldn’t be too worried.

Gini may stay, he may not get offers that he feels he could achieve had he performed consistently, and prefer to continue here in an effort to impress. Townsend I think will give us a year to go up. He is enjoying his football here, and probably played the best 6 months of his career here. He didn’t fit at Spurs, and I doubt he would risk going somewhere he doesn’t again when his expectation will be it is just a 1 year stint.

Cisse and Tiote will depend on whether the offers come in, if they do I’d anticipate both being away, although I would happily keep Tiote around.

• 10 bettyswallocks // May 25, 2016 at 3:44 PM

BandB………I only do it whilst on holiday.

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Clinath,
    Yeah, regardless this is still a step in the right direction for the club, and one most are rightly optimistic about.

• 12 clinath@ed // May 25, 2016 at 3:48 PM

who comes or goes (more importantly?) may be decided by the balance books more than footballing ability.
    Now, is that an admin decision or a footballing one?

• 13 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Will Ashley show up?
    Relaunch?
    Could be a good move.

• 14 No Defence // May 25, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Townsend is the only one of those I wouldn’t want to lose, even if it means letting him go out on loan for the first part of the season.

• 15 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Tsunki

In which case i will have the scare-burger with fries, and some frightnuggets to go, please.

• 16 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 3:56 PM

I think we could probably manage one season with the “stars” on current wages, and if/when we are promoted, we would be fine to carry on. There is no reason, if rafa can motivate them, that our big ego players couldn’t tear up this league.

• 17 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 3:58 PM

BandB,
    Yeah, call it a fresh start, admit he has got a lot wrong, but hopefully under Rafa’s guidance the club can begin to rebuild its faltering/fallen reputation and push forward to a new era of hope.

Doubt he will, but would make a lot of sense. Although, they probably also feel that Charnley needs as much of the fresh start, if he is to stay, so he could be wheeled out for that role.

• 18 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Lilongwe

Yeah i agree on keeping tiote around, if he wants to stay. I was pleased to see some of his old self in those last few games. Cisse, not so much. Pack him off to china or the middle east. I dont think he has the heart for the championship.

• 19 hibbitt // May 25, 2016 at 4:00 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp

which stars are they ??

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 4:00 PM

YCMIU,
    I disagree, I think the club would be better for a spring clean of squad and staff.

• 21 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Lil,

They probably need to put someone from the club in front of the cameras besides Rafa, but they have no-one.
    Charnley doesn’t even go in front of the mirror.

• 22 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Lee got all the frightnuggets fitted into his pants but I’ll keep an eye out for any more that might turn up.

Betty actually I will try that and let you know.

BandB interesting theory. Will Rafa emerge with a tubby arm round his shoulder as the portly owner announces his pride in the ‘new direction’ he has taken in the Grand NUFC Luck-Production sponsored by SD? Would make a good video.

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 4:03 PM

YCMIU,
    Disagreeing with 16, not your Tiote and Cisse post. I think our only stars are mainly stars in their own head, none could really hold their hand up and say they have performed like a star this season, or for large parts of last (and the one before etc).

I think the attitude that some carry with them helped bring down an a squad already low on morale. I don’t doubt that all could perform very well in the Championship, I’d rather build a new side though, then have a team that is just fuelling there egos before they next decide to speak out about wanting a move.

• 24 Belfast // May 25, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Top stars ??? Hmmmmmm ok.

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 4:05 PM

BandB,
    It could well be Bishop that fronts up if Charnley doesn’t, but just as likely Wendy will be sent out, or Lee…

Someone needs to though, but then the club haven’t often done things that would be considered general best practice over the years.

• 26 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Bobby Moncur could but his bemused look and lack of follow up info might compromise him.

Charnley would probably get the benefit of a couple of free range eggs.

I think it might be Ashley (father figure) and Rafa, with Charnley hovering just behind to soak up some of the credibility without drawing jeers.

• 27 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Lil

I’ve never seen Charnley do a live interview. This would be one big deep end to chuck him into.

• 28 Belfast // May 25, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Same here no defence. The rest of them can ferk off.

• 29 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Mr “whohellhe” Bishop? They’d spend most of the presser asking who he was and why he was there. And where’s those other chaps? Like The Horse and Cart guy, the one off “You’ve been Framed”? Where’s he?

• 30 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Lilongwe

Yeah, i agree that those egos certainly helpped bring us down. I was just working on the basis that rafa is the type of manager that they might want to play for. I do expect to see most of them go. Sissoko has wanted away for a few seasons.

• 31 hibbitt // May 25, 2016 at 4:10 PM

is it going to be a news conference or just a announcement anyone know

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 4:11 PM

BandB,
    I can’t think who I’ve seen do a live interview at the club (at least one that wasn’t pre scripted by a PR ‘guru’ who represents both parties).

Will it be preferred media partners only again, in which case it makes it easier for them to do a ‘live’ interview whilst Bishop mouths the words to whomever from behind the camera.

• 33 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 4:12 PM

hibbitt

No-one would say. Even the time is strictly embargoed.

• 34 hibbitt // May 25, 2016 at 4:13 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp

sissoko has want away from the day after the day he arrived

• 35 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:15 PM

I’m not sure things will go exactly the way Rafa wants as far as huge offers coming in for our players is concerned. I’ve got on good authority that Burnley has offered us a bag of taco chips for Cisse……

• 36 Hail Wor Ashley // May 25, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Mitrovic just scored for Serbia.

• 37 lesh // May 25, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Must say I’m disappointed in Rafa – if the photos were actually taken today.

If he really wants the job, you’d think he’d have put a tie on for his interview!

Has his continued employment been officially announced yet?

• 38 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:17 PM

And Saylor is wanted overseas as a postal clerk in Greece. The wage isn’t too good and we would only get a small container of hummus in return.

• 39 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM

So it’s taco chips and hummus so far then. I don’t even think they go together well…… and two players gone. Was that what Ashley had in mind?

• 40 lesh // May 25, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Lilongwe

One would hope that the hairbrained Preferred Media Partners idea’s been dumped along with the idea of the purples and others making up the squad.

A big media presentation could well be on the cards thus letting the world at large that Ashley really means business

• 41 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 4:24 PM

YCMIU,
    Newcastle should have been a big enough club for them to want to play for, at least with more consistency and desire. Good riddance is my position. If some of those do stay, then fingers crossed they do buck up their ideas.

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Lesh,
    We will see I guess. Hopefully it will be open to any journalists with press credentials. Although as long as it is officially announced, and the winds of change start to breeze through over the coming weeks then I won’t mind a low key unveiling.

• 43 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:26 PM

We don’t want any wimps or wafflers. They can all leave. Rafa will show them the door.

• 44 lesh // May 25, 2016 at 4:27 PM

If Rafa is to be wheeled out in front of the media, who’s going to chair the proceedings?

Ashley? Charnley?

And, I wonder how Mr Shearer’ll pedal back from his predictions that Rafa wouldn’t be with us next season.

• 45 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:28 PM

I think a party atmosphere is in order lads and lasses. Dancing goats, fireworks, some salsa dancing. That sort of thing. But don’t invite beermonkey. He’ll pee in somebody’s back pocket at an awkward time for certain…..

• 46 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 4:28 PM

Lil

The McClaren launch was a disaster and it looked sh*t.
    It seems to have died a quiet death in practice.
    Statement likely first.

• 47 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Yes, I think Rafa is going to be wheeled out like Hannibal Lecter was in Silence of the Lambs lesh mate. We can’t afford him getting away before he signs…..

• 48 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Is this an opportunity for a big brand relaunch? Or will it be low key with just Rafa doing a quick Q&A and “gotta go, time to start work”?

• 49 JamesToon // May 25, 2016 at 4:31 PM

so funny seeing all the mackems have a meltdown on twitter now weve got rafa hahaha, “deluded geordies” “celebrating relegation” “rafa is a failure” so so bitter

• 50 hibbitt // May 25, 2016 at 4:31 PM

lesh

not just shearer
    quite a few will be lying low for the next few weeks

• 51 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 4:31 PM

I dunno G2 they call those things “Sack Trollies”. It might have poor connotations. That and the straightjacket/pitbull muzzle combo. Always a bit of a put off that.

• 52 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Photo Caption –

“So long Graeme ha ha.. yeah, you too … yeah up yours an’ all…on your bike…”

• 53 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:33 PM

No, I think it sends a message that we’re serious this time Tsunki mate. That we’re not to be trifled with. Charnley can untie him briefly and slip a pen in his hand, then slip quietly off the stage and disappear, never to be seen again. Beautiful…..

• 54 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:35 PM

The mackems were always going to be bitter. What are they going to sing? “We’ve got Fat Sam and you’ve got Rafa?” No, they’ll just quietly prepare for another run at 17th……

• 55 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 4:35 PM

BandB,
    It was partly a disaster because it was wholly underwhelming to start with. Hopefully the statement and a few club photos of pen to paper will emerge tonight, press tomorrow.

A positive press conference would lift all further, and would likely help when approaching players and staff etc. Lot to be gained by doing it well here, and I think that should involve Ashley with Rafa. Maybe there is more to it, and someone else is coming in at board level as well. Probably too much to hope for….. A dangerous thing is a little hope. Doesn’t take much to get carried away. Still, better than plumbing the depths of depression.

• 56 Charlie in the Gallowgate // May 25, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Mitro scored for Serbia against Cyprus

• 57 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Thinking of Burt Kwouk in the pink panther films, and that phrase “Low Key” reminds of that great moment Clouseau checks into the Peninsula in HK I think, in Chinese “Disguise”, and after a furtive look to the sides, answers to “Mr & Mrs Loh-Kee”… ha ha I’m easily pleased. 🙂

• 58 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:37 PM

I think Rafa will slip off his pants and reveal his Wonga underpants, then lead a conga line around the ground. I wish I was going to be there.

• 59 Spoof // May 25, 2016 at 4:38 PM

I’ve been reading the Chron about Rafa’s scouting system, a really good insite as to what and how he looks at players, amazingly he values discipline as being just as important as ability if not more so, fancy dans and work shy players will not come here under Rafa, no more Cabaella’s or Thauvin’s.

• 60 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Lil

It’s getting late for a full-blown presser today 🙂

• 61 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Burt was terrific Tsunki mate. His comedic touch was excellent. Peter Sellers of course was completely mad. That’s why I loved his work….. fantastic comedian. Inspector Dreyfus reminds me a bit of Charnley. I’m sure I’ve started to see an eye twitch now and then from Lee…..

• 62 Spoof // May 25, 2016 at 4:42 PM

The Chron are also stating that if Rafa wants a player to stay when he is contracted to us he will stay, whether he wants to stay or not, as he did with Jerzy Dudek at Liverpool.

• 63 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:43 PM

It wasn’t so much a McLaren launch as a leaky dinghy BandB mate. He was already busy bailing it out when he took the position.

• 64 bettyswallocks // May 25, 2016 at 4:43 PM

Charnley tends not to look in the mirror too often as he becomes immediately aroused. He mentioned this to his doctor who told him, “It’s normal you’re a Cnut.”

• 65 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 4:43 PM

When McCardew signed on it was all positively underwhelming and they knew it, if I’m being uncharacteristically cynical for a moment ( I know, I know but bear with me on this one..)

The blog mood as a thermometer could tell you he was an appointed that came with the relief it could have been worse, although hardly much. Apart from. I few that Mr T seems help bent on smashing cranium together we also pretty much were in the mode of ‘give him a chance’.

I’m certain the hierarchy pretty correctly judged that Steve was not the guy to be shoved into the media circus flash bulbs a-poppin’ with a garland of flowers round his neck and a plastic crown on his head. Nope. They slid him in before anyone could ask if he was any good.

• 66 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:44 PM

In fact Rafa has a closet full of his old players all tied up and gagged who wanted to leave him. It’s just not on. You don’t cut and run on Rafa.

• 67 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 4:44 PM

BandB,
    Yeah, exactly. Unless it is just preferred, in which case they could have been contacted on the QT to be there.

Still, some assurance on the club site would be nice to have tonight.

• 68 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Lil’

There may be something reasonably soon.

• 69 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:47 PM

Hope you lot are all well. Just returned from my uncle’s celebration of life. Low key but a lot of the family came from back east. A difficult weekend but glad we went to offer support.

• 70 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 4:47 PM

Add to that I think the good PR folk at nufc popped a few champagne corks when they realised nobody in the media ran any stories on our Wacky Wally appointment.

• 71 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Surely they’re joking about keeping everybody? That’s just to get the prices up. I don’t think they would have got a jar of hummus for Saylor a few weeks ago…..

• 72 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Spoof,
    The bit in that where he says he wants as many opinions as possible suggests the door may not fully be shut on Carr. Benitez talked well of Carr when he first arrived (difficult to do anything else, admittedly) but I still think he would be willing to listen to Carr’s opinions. A phasing out, a lesser reduced role on account of his age and restructuring – a saving of face if you will.

Every report says Carr will be gone, and it would be a brave man to state categorically otherwise, but I think Carr and the club would come to terms similar to above and avoid the contract pay out. Nothing to back any of it up, just a gut feeling.

• 73 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Will somebody else ask G2? I daren’t.

• 74 Ron Knee // May 25, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Tsunki

Go on. Be a devil!

• 75 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Lilo. Gold watch coming I think

• 76 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:52 PM

What is McPardo doing now anyway? Is he wall papering his flat or something? I mean those Derby County colours just can’t be left on the walls like that….

• 77 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Tsunki,
    Would Ashley fork out for one of them? Gold plated maybe….. Or just a swatch.

• 78 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Steve could join Johnny C. at the spa. He would make a good towel man….

• 79 martoon // May 25, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Has anybody considered Rafa may have just come to clear his desk? 🙂

• 80 stuart no9 // May 25, 2016 at 5:40 PM