The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Going All Out To Close His First Ever Signing For Newcastle

10:55 pm, Wednesday, May 25th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 94 Comments

After Rafa Benitez was introduced last night as the new manager at Newcastle for the next three years (at least),  there is news tonight that Rafa wants to bring in Fulham’s prolific Scottish striker Ross McCormack for £12M – which is the release amount in his contract.

One difficulty Newcastle had over the last two seasons was having a proven goalscorer in their ranks and certainly Ross is that – at least in the Championship – and in two seasons at Fulham since he joined them from Leeds United, he has 42 goals and 22 assists in 100 games.

ross McCormack _3187245

Ross McCormack – Rafa’s first real transfer target

The news in the Mail is that Rafa Benitez is keen to make the 29-year-old his first signing ever for Newcastle, as he looks to quickly strengthen the side for next season in the Championship.

There is also interest from Aston Villa and Norwich City, but having Rafa Benitez at Newcastle must be a huge draw for a player like McCormack – and there’s some hope Newcastle will be straight back in the Premier League next May.

Rafa is now in charge of all football matters at the club – and if Rafa thinks the 29 year-old is what Newcastle need then so be it – and Managing Director Lee Charnley will back him in that.

Middlesbrough tried to sign the 29 year-old in January but there’s some hope that Newcastle could tie up this deal before the Euro 2016 Championships begin on 10th June – in 16 days time.

Fulham only just avoided relegation last season, but Ross still scored a very good 23 goals so in a (hopefully) successful Newcastle side next season,  heaven knows how many goals he could score for the Magpies.

Rafa has been working for the last 10 days or so at his home in the Wirral in Cheshire and has drawn up a number of transfer targets which he has already shared with Lee Charnley and it’s now very likely they will try to get a few of them signed up before June 10th.

And some of the good news Rafa gave at his press conference last night at 7:00 pm was that he doesn’t have to sell any player currently in the squad just to balance the books, but has been told he can keep any player in the squad he wants to keep for the coming season.

Expect Rafa to become very busy in the next several days as he attempts to make a quick breakthrough in the transfer market.

This man is the perfect manager for Newcastle United and he said he would like to emulate what the great Sir Bobby Robson did for the club in the five years he managed Newcastle from 1999.

Bobby had us in the Champions League twice after saving the club from relegation in his first year at the club, and we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th in Bobby’s last three seasons at his home town club.

Tags: Euro 2016 · Management · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

94 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 11:01 PM

I just want to repeat my statement about basking in the glow of the Rafa signing. What other top manager would have come and then stayed on after relegation. Far too few I would think.

• 2 Shadow_Shearer // May 25, 2016 at 11:06 PM

This guy looks good in the championship, but will he cut it in the premiership???

• 3 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 11:08 PM

Who among us really understands beermonkey? I don’t and I work with him every day. A man of few words he gets the job done. I’m not sure you lot know he is also my bodyguard and stunt double. Below is a recent picture of us in action:

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 11:08 PM

Shadow,
    History says probably not. Still, what could effect to a £12million payment on an experienced goalscorer at this level, who will be valuable to the tune of at least £5-8million next summer for any other Championship club is an absolute bargain when you consider the value of promotion.

• 5 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 11:09 PM

That’s me on the left…. or is that me on the right? The resemblance is amazing…….

• 6 Essex Geordie Bill // May 25, 2016 at 11:09 PM

And I finally got a response even if it was a nasty one, still a result. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• 7 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 11:10 PM

I like the idea of bringing in McCormack. He looks decent. Yes, he’s 30 in August but he’s a savvy pro to replace Cisse. I suspect he would pot 20 with us.

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 11:10 PM

G2,
    I anticipate a steep fall from grace for me, as my match viewings will be severely limited by poor internet here and the lack of Championship football on TV. At least in the Prem we would be on one of the channels probably around 32-35 times out of 38.

• 9 Burni // May 25, 2016 at 11:12 PM

You know… ive posted on here for years. But when i come on now 90% of the comments are yees lot fighting like fish wifeys about who said what and how someones opinion is right to the others.

I think u may all need to take a step back and realise the big picture (on this blog anyway) is abkut supporting nufc. After all there are much worse things in the world.

for now….. be happy that rafa has signed… be positive for what the future brings and for god sake stop picking dights with people from behind a keyboard

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 11:13 PM

McCormack could be a good seasoned pro to bring in to help Arma develop as well. McCormack isn’t top drawer, but I’m sure his experience and career have taught him things that Arma would find very valuable next season, and for his future career.

• 11 ToonTiger // May 25, 2016 at 11:13 PM

Cisse replacement

• 12 JamesToon // May 25, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Lads let’s not get ahead of ourselves and talk about prem yet, championship is a very hard league and will require more fight than ever.

Think McCormack would be a decent signing as he’s proven goalscorer. Alternative could be Nahki Wells? We’ll leave it up to Rafa as he finally now has full control 🙂

Think coloccini, Taylor, Cisse, Riviere and Gouffran should defo all leave as I really don’t think they have enough to offer us anymore. Next task for Rafa is also to sort out Aarons contract, revamp the scouting and youth academy and ask for the training facilities to be overhauled

• 13 magscar // May 25, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Shadow

My thoughts as well but we need to get out of the Championship at first time of asking and he looks to have the goals to do it at that level (Fulham and Leeds). Good freekicks as well.

We need a 20 goal a season man from somewhere. What else would £12M buy you?

If he isn’t up to Premiership and we are promoted but has scored goals should attract a reasonable fee if we sold on.

It’s in Mail so who knows if it’s true?

• 14 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 11:16 PM

Probably Perez as well. I imagine they could both learn from McCormack’s experience and nous.

• 15 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Don’t worry Lilongwe mate, I’m in the same boat. I can’t get Championship football in Canada. Very disappointing. I just hope it’s only for 1 season.

• 16 magscar // May 25, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Burni

Now that the most positive signing since KK and SBR has occurred the Blog will evolve. Surely the recriminations over Ashley’s follies will take a back seat as a new era is dawning. A brave one? – who knows but it sure seems different.

• 17 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 11:20 PM

It is a bit of a problem Burni mate. Still we’ve got some top, top Bloggers as well. Some seasoned pros who know their footy. I try to keep them all in line but sometimes it gets a bit wild and I take a bit of a break.

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 11:21 PM

G2,
    I’m sure. Still, for you there should still be a reasonable amount of streaming available. For me, I need a spare 8 hours and the patience of a saint to watch a first half most of the time! (Exaggerated, and it is getting better – pangono pangono – slowly slowly.)

Still, it will allow me to do more work with football here, so a small silver lining I guess, and slow down the onset of a beer belly.

• 19 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 11:23 PM

Yes, there is that Lilongwe. Usually my streaming leads to various web disasters and viruses on my computer though. Have to watch that. I’m going to try to find a way though. And you have us on here to fill you in on the matches.

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 11:26 PM

magscar,
    Less talk of ‘brave new era’s’. I don’t even think there is a need yet to discuss Ashley’s pros and cons. Did we not go through this last summer when we entered a previous new era?

The appointment of Rafa is great and positive step forward. I’m looking forward to seeing the winds of change breeze through the club, and the knock on effect. Some of it will be quick, some not so.

This is an opportunity to (re)build the club and give us something to be proud of again. No need to rehash old ground, but also no need to gloss over the previous 9 years and paint all the roses red, surely. Bit by bit trust can be rebuilt, there isn’t a short term fix, and it is foolish for people to suggest an immediate change of heart on the matter.

• 21 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 11:28 PM

G2,
    Ha, if I follow the games based on what is said on here I’ll end up more confused than Cisse after he was told he would be playing Debuchy’s supporting role on the right flank by Pardew!

• 22 magscar // May 25, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Lilo

Point about what an experienced striker can bring apart from his goals is well made and might even help Mitro if he stays as McCormack looks sharper in the box. Also apparently good with assists.

£12M though – is there better out there and would he hit the ground running in Championship? Seems high fee for a player who many doubt would prosper in PL but promotion next season from his goals return would make him worth every penny.

• 23 jane // May 25, 2016 at 11:28 PM

relegation and the fans are really happy…result!

• 24 expatmag // May 25, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Mitrovic will sc ore 20 plus in the championship. I see he scored for Serbia last night

• 25 bettyswallocks // May 25, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Ross McCormack my arse…….Benitez out.

• 26 Laurent Robert 32 // May 25, 2016 at 11:29 PM

Brilliant news today. It’s not a surprise as I was pretty sure it’d be concluded with how Rafa was talking before hand. It was just a matter of whether the divvies in charge would match the Rafa wish list.

Great to hear him say in his interview about a big influence being his reception from the fans, especially the last game of the season. From many of the same fans who would not stand for lower league dross that we’ve had before.

For all the nonsense about fans’ disapproval of poor managers, it also works the other way, with a phenomenal backing from a proper manager, one which has led him not only to come here, but stay with us in a lower league.

Excellent work to all who believed and supported some change.

Hopefully Rafa will do a great job. I can’t wait for the season to start.

• 27 Laurent Robert 32 // May 25, 2016 at 11:34 PM

A plus and a selling point to current and incoming players isn’t just that we’ll look to be promoted in one season, it’s that Rafa can also say that he’s aiming for a shot at the cups next year, which is realistic depending on the players who are kept and brought in.

• 28 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 11:38 PM

magscar,
    McCormack has hit the ground running in every Championship season. Would he do the same again here? No guarantees, but hard to argue with any real defence saying he wouldn’t.

I do agree he can’t cut it next level up, but that isn’t his fault, he has found a level he succeeds at, and has done well over the last few years. If he does well for us – which will be a better publicised stage – then his value will hold, and interest will still be there from other clubs for him.

We paid £2million fees plus wages for a year of Remy just to keep Prem football, if we pay £4million plus wages for a player who contributes goals, assists and helps our youngsters learn to earn the rewards of promotion, it isn’t much to pay.

When we have been linked with McCormack in the past, I haven’t wanted him, I don’t think he can do it in the Prem, but the Championship seems to be his bread and butter. I think we could do a lot worse (we could probably do a lot better as well).

However, not convinced he is on Rafa’s list, and if he is a target, I’d again look at what has changed. We have been linked regularly with him, so is obviously on our radar. How much has Rafa followed him whilst at Inter and Real? I’m sure he has spoken to people about him since, but I’d argue if he does come, it is a Carr based recommendation akin to last summer and January.

• 29 magscar // May 25, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Lilo@20

Never said it was a Brave one (merely mentioned before someone else tagged me with it) but I feel now ( as I posted some weeks ago) that this club is on a threshold similar to those when KK and SBR signed.

Neither were able to win things but under KK I saw the best football from my club in my lifetime and looked forward to each match. Similar under SBR but not always so entertaining – should have got him years before we did.

Different era now and different challenges but compared to when KK and SBR were appointed I would say Rafa is in his prime. What we have is a new hope but no guarantee.

Leicester haven’t broken the mould by any means and next season will see PL return to a more usual look I think. If we win promotion then following seasons will prove difficult to break into European places. If club can finally pull together and with fans united we can be a force but top 4 will be a difficult ask given our starting position under Rafa. I know KK managed it but there were different times when we ,Villa, Norwich and Leeds were challenging at top not moneybags like Man City or Chelsea.

• 30 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 11:46 PM

expat,
    He did. 9 goals in your debut season in a relegated club whilst still just 21 is good going. Lukaku’s third season of regular Prem football (season before this) yielded just 10. He has huge areas to improve on, and certain areas that you have to accept won’t be a strength, but if he plays you set up to suit him. Something we rarely did this year.

I’d love to see him surrounded by pace next season. Rafa is a big fan of 4231, but I’d love to see it as more of a 433 when n the ball with Townsend/Arma/Aarons/Redmond(?) as the two playing off him. He needs to be sharper, and react quicker – Villa was a great example where the spin on the ball forced him to change, but he just couldn’t quickly enough.

I do think he will prove far too much for Championship defences, and that confidence will hopefully drive his development forward.

• 31 AmericanMagpie // May 25, 2016 at 11:52 PM

With all this elation from Rafa signing on, would anyone rather us finish 4th bottom wtih McClaren as manager?

• 32 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 11:57 PM

I belive Mitrovic had the third best goals to assists ratio for a man of his age in the Premiership after Deli Alli and another bloke.
    Not unimpressive.

• 33 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 11:57 PM

magscar,
    I only mentioned brave new era as you did. I agree, it is an exciting time. I’m not arguing against that. Trophies would be lovely, but for me, and I know this isn’t for everyone I want it done the right way. A sheik/Oligarch/A.N.O isn’t it.

I liked Ashley’s plan, his vision. He didn’t want to execute it correctly, he wanted to cut corners. For the first time in his tenure, or maybe since the last vaguely respectable man in Mort arrived, we have someone in place who fans can have some respect for.

From what I’ve read tonight, the disagreements Burni refers to came because a poster felt we should just white wash over the previous 9 years if Rafa has some success. I think the vibe on here is more positive than in a long time – even in our 5th placed season there were dissenting voices. Rafa staying seems to have gained the full support of everyone, and I don’t see why anyone would bring the Ashley argument out.

• 34 magscar // May 25, 2016 at 11:58 PM

I think we need to see who Rafa looks to keep as that will give some indication of how he may want to play. If he keeps Gini (possible) Perez (likely) DeJong (not sure) he is likely to look more at No 10 role and if so where would McCormack fit into this – or rotate with Mitro as No 9?

He might want to have options for 442 as well as his seemingly favoured 4231. Haven’t seen much of Championship so don’t know how most sides set up but flexibility during and in games against different opposition would be of benefit.

• 35 manxpie // May 26, 2016 at 12:02 AM

Lilo tbf mark Douglas asked a similar question straight after in asking if the slate should now be wiped clean regarding Ashley

• 36 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 12:04 AM

Manx,
    Yeah, it shows how off the pulse Thomson House are. I haven’t seen any of it, but who responded, and what was the response?

• 37 BandB // May 26, 2016 at 12:05 AM

manxpie

The question was not whether the slate should be wiped clean.
    It was whether we should be pro or anti Ashley.
    It was a loaded question.

• 38 magscar // May 26, 2016 at 12:05 AM

Lilo

On Burni’s point I was simply trying to say that the Blog will change because the subject of Ashley ( whatever anyone’s views of him) will take a back seat as there are more positive topics to discuss for hopefully a long time to come. This is a very different feeling and reality to McClaren’s appointment last summer.

• 39 jimmysmith // May 26, 2016 at 12:07 AM

Well I guess if you can sell Cisse for somewhere near 6 and buy McCormack for about 12, then sell him for near 10 once his goals have helped us back up, and then buy a genuine EPL centre forward for around twenty, it makes some sort of sense in a roundabout way. Probably more of a Championship banker than Cisse I suppose.

• 40 Lindisfarne // May 26, 2016 at 12:08 AM

What about Ian Cathro?

• 41 magscar // May 26, 2016 at 12:09 AM

Jimmy

That scenario makes sense in our new situation – non starter before now.

• 42 jimmysmith // May 26, 2016 at 12:09 AM

Wipe the slate clean? God no. It’ll take Rafa 9 years to balance the ledger.

• 43 nufc786 // May 26, 2016 at 12:10 AM

For me, I would go for Glenn Murray instead of McCormack. I think he will be cheaper and he has experience in the championship.

If we let Tiote go…. maybe we should sign Mehdi Abeid… he looked promising when he was given the chance and was never given a decent opportunity in the first team..

• 44 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 12:12 AM

Manx,
    Just checked, and the poster who initial posted it has apologised and said he didn’t mean to cause offence etc. Fair enough, an innocent mistake and, for him I’m happy to wipe the slate clean. I don’t hold grudges on here and happily converse with anyone willing to discuss NUFC.

I just found it a little distasteful to suggest that we should consider being pro Ashley at this current stage, given Ashley is one of the people who should be shouldering a large portion of responsibility for us fans being positive about relegation because the club is about to be run similar to a normal football club.

• 45 Lindisfarne // May 26, 2016 at 12:13 AM

““I have the reputation, Ive won trophies,’ Benitez said. “But I need a project now. The time if right for me to have a challenge, a project. We will have to work hard and prepare for every game like it’s a cup final but I have a passion for coaching and I’m quite excited about the Championship.””

• 46 BandB // May 26, 2016 at 12:14 AM

The pro or anti Ashley question is exactly the same as the pro or anti Pardew debate that rumbles on.
    It belongs to a divisive era in the history of this club that only matters to those who are paranoid that anyone should call them out for backing the wrong horse.
    Which only the brainless would, and only the brainless would bother about.

• 47 Burni // May 26, 2016 at 12:15 AM

Hopefully magscar mate

and g2 u keep fighting the good fight bud. Haha

i feel that when ashley came out at the end of 2014/15 and said he would invest my hatred of him subsided….. then when the club appointed mclaren.. who someone on here hilariously pointed out that he looks like he has a shredded wheat cellotaped to his head…. i thought, well he has to be better than carver, lol

thrn we brought/bought some (what i class as brilliant) talent. Then some more in january.. and i still clung on thinking well we have to do better now…. lololol

then i grasped at the possibility that… nope that was never going to happen

THEN benitez came in…. and i thought well he has to keep us up (all the time thinking if we go down he will leave) and that wasnt to be….

then….

benitez signs … well.. f my b

hopefully the team will smash every other team to bits in the champeenship and we will be back in the pl asap.

i love this club..

• 48 Fostino // May 26, 2016 at 12:17 AM

Krul

Anita mbabu mbemba dummett

Townsand colback wini Aarons

Armstrong mitro

Perez..colback..lascalles..Darlow..saviet…sterry..Elliott. ..

Sell goofy..riverie..thauvin..cabella..colo..good..cisse…tiote..de jong…janmaat..release marvo..ameobi..vuckic. .obertan…Taylor
    I fear sissoko will be picked up by bigger team. As could wini.

With the 18 remaining this means we would have at least 5 squad places to fill with a starting cb..dm..cm..St. .lb..rb priorities

• 49 jimmysmith // May 26, 2016 at 12:17 AM

Mitrovic, with a year in the EPL now under his belt, is a pretty exciting and formidable prospect in the Championship, for a side that should be flying from the off. Remember how good Shola and Carroll were. Battered them.

• 50 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 12:17 AM

magscar,
    I agree, at any reasonably run football club the owner/benefactor should take a back seat when discussing the club. The fact he hasn’t points at a number of wrongdoings that will take time to heal.

It is very different to last summer – although here was a lot of positivity last summer at times as well, until the window ended and most fans agreed we hadn’t done enough or “made our own luck”.

I think we are in agreement on a lot of things regarding moving forwards, lets just refrain from revisiting last summers phrase of a brave new world! I said last summer, I’ll believe it has changed if things have improved consistently, and we are well run in January 2017. I’m putting it back to 2018 now, but hold greater hope this time round.

• 51 Burni // May 26, 2016 at 12:18 AM

I think ashley has firmly nailed his flag to the mast with everything he has done recently. He has definitely made mistakes but now im on his side and look forward to next season

• 52 magscar // May 26, 2016 at 12:18 AM

As the chat on wiping slates clean is still around I would say that it is an individual choice and would very much depend on how strongly fans held views on Ashley. Some would quite happily move on others never , even if we won something.

I can see why the question is posed but it doesn’t matter as long as we and Ashley are and stay behind Rafa. If we struggle in first few weeks next season I hope the unity can survive.

• 53 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 12:20 AM

American,
    I think that I can probably answer for many; No.

• 54 BandB // May 26, 2016 at 12:21 AM

It is pretty pathetic really that that Ashley horse and cart rolls downhill with so little tack or encouragement.

• 55 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 12:23 AM

Burni,
    It isn’t about being on a side. It is about what is best for the club. There have been disagreements on what is best for the club in the past, but I think all are agreed Rafa is a positive step. No need to pick a pro or anti status here.

• 56 magscar // May 26, 2016 at 12:24 AM

BandB

There is an obvious difference in your parallel though. Ashley is still here and can still very much affect our well-being the other no longer can – some might argue never could but that would be harsh 😉

• 57 BandB // May 26, 2016 at 12:25 AM

We are in the second tier of English football.

Wholly predictably and avoidably.

If Mike had said a year ago “We have a stable door, and we are going to close it after the horse has bolted” then at least his metaphor would have made sense.

• 58 BandB // May 26, 2016 at 12:26 AM

Get out of that 🙂

• 59 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 12:26 AM

magscar,
    I think if Ashley consistently did what was best for the club most would come round. Even Jail has said this, and he was one of the more anti Ashley folk. But, it will take time for people to forget and wounds to heal.

• 60 magscar // May 26, 2016 at 12:31 AM

Lilo

Agreed.

Night all – excitement gradually subsiding might be able to sleep 🙂

• 61 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 12:35 AM

magscar,
    Night mate. I think it is probably time for me to call it a night as well. I could really do with the better half coming back from South America as if she was here I wouldn’t be allowed to get stuck on here till this time at night!

• 62 Burni // May 26, 2016 at 12:37 AM

I cant see why any support for him would dwindle unless we got to halfway and he had aspoor a season the big mc had

Lilongwe.. if only people didnt pick a side. Unfortunately they still do. Look through the last few posts feom ed. Ppl are still pro or for….. i have to say that even his comments at the end of last season made me for

• 63 Burni // May 26, 2016 at 12:38 AM

Pro or caagainst… u knew what i meant hahah

• 64 jimmysmith // May 26, 2016 at 12:40 AM

There’s a world of difference between looking forward to this coming season and beyond, and backing the owner. Appointing Rafa has only stopped me from wanting to burn Ashley’s house down.

• 65 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 12:49 AM

Burni,
    You win, I’ll stay up for another discussion.

His comments last season said nothing. Platitudes, vagueness, nothing you could hang your hat on and say he was true to his word Yes, the club spent money. The club, not from his pocket. In my opinion, the way it should be. Still, he allowed us to tread water for too long, and in doing so we regressed and fell behind. I don’t often agree with Shearer the pundit, but when he said you had to spend £20million to stand still, he probably underestimated it.

I’ve never really got the pro and anti thing, I’ve been called out by both sides as the other on this blog over the years. I loved the idea of a sustainable youth focussed club which is what the blueprint alluded to. He didn’t allow it to work, because he didn’t want/put the right people in place for whatever reason.

People do gravitate to one side or the other, and I understand the arguments on both sides. But both only want what is best for the club, albeit people have different views on achieving this.

With Rafa’s appointment I think both sides aligned, for the first time in years, and bringing up a pro or anti Ashley debate was always going to be divisive. The guy didn’t mean to judging by his last follow up, fair enough, but I do think that those who disagreed and were “fighting like fish wife’s” were perfectly justified to disagree.

• 66 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 12:51 AM

Jimmy,
    Ha, I’m not sure i’d burn his house down. But yeah, 9 years of sustained development and growth and maybe we will have achieved ma’at.

• 67 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 12:54 AM

Ha, just read that back;

“I don’t often agree with Shearer the pundit, but when he said you had to spend £20million to stand still, he probably underestimated it.”

It appears I still don’t even when trying to!

• 68 Mister Tuff // May 26, 2016 at 1:09 AM

The Ashley debate will roll on from time to time and with the passing of time will diminish in frequency – more so if Rafa does well.
    Ashley is the owner – who is not going anywhere – his decisions will effect the club – and discussing him is legitimate.
    Are folk suggesting we should not??.
    History should not be censored but remembered and lessons learned from it.

• 69 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 1:15 AM

Tuff,
    I was just about to give up on a response.

No, I’m not suggesting he shouldn’t be talked about when relevant. As I said earlier, if he was a good owner, he would rarely need to have been discussed. It is only through his own failings and mismanagement he is such an issue. But why come out with pro Ashley comments/questions when the fans are almost universally united behind Rafa’s appointment?

I just find it odd. It was predicted by a few that people would post similar if Rafa was confirmed, and it happened. Call it dumb luck with their predictions if you want, but why drive a wedge into what is finally an almost unified fan base?

• 70 Mister Tuff // May 26, 2016 at 1:15 AM

Lilo – I”ll post a link which Jib posted about the Rafa Liverpool buys.
    Just under his tenure – no info exactly as to whether it was him who was behind all the purchase
    Persons on the later Liverpool Transfer Board where there at the time- Comolli as well.
    Definite Spanish interest (Spanish Clubs) – lot of players I’ve never heard of or heard of again
    A loss in business overall – 59 transfers.

One can surely assume Benitez must have learned from the experience of that many players being signed.

• 71 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 1:17 AM

Ruddy is probably one of the exceptions, but I do respect his convictions and understand his thoughts, if not his methods of persuasion.

• 72 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 1:17 AM

Tuff,
    Cheers, will have a quick look.

• 73 Mister Tuff // May 26, 2016 at 1:21 AM

Lilo – right I see your point.
    Certainly more united fan base -behind Rafa – being exhibited by fans.
    Not seen for quite a while.

• 74 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 1:26 AM

Going through that list about 17 successful signings out of 58 for Liverpool. Couple of youngsters who went on to do reasonably elsewhere. He was always credited with the successes, so should equal be credited with the less successful. Looks fairly accurate the Scouse journalists assessment of he got it right when paying high.

A lot of players and subsequently a dilution of the quality he brought in. He should have learnt, from the experience, and everything we hear about him would point to that.

His past isn’t stellar though in the transfer market, and should raise questions over his total control that is being spoken of.

Is Carr’s record worse than 1 in 3 decent arrivals? As unpopular as this is, I still feel there is a position for him with less final influence.

• 75 Mister Tuff // May 26, 2016 at 1:35 AM

Lilo – ref Carr.
    We never really get to know who scouts recommend to their clubs – just the ones subsequently bought.
    There have been recent tales of Carrs top of the list players being rejected – and folk down the list (cheaper???) being bought.
    We just do not know who said and did what at SJP re the transfers – for any blame to be levelled at Carr in my opinion.
    Agree with your prior comments – a scout on the board is a no no. (Even though I think the functioning independent board was a sham).

• 76 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 1:44 AM

Tuff,
    I think the club overlooked a number of Carr’s better recommendations – the kid who has joined Arsenal today was allegedly one last summer. Payet was supposedly one, too expensive when Cabella joined, too old when he went to West Ham. He is overly influenced by associates within football, but that is far from uncommon. Elevated above his status, and had no real idea of how to balance the two roles I think.

He can spot a player though, and has demonstrated this in the past. Mbabu is very much one of his, and people seem keen on his potential. Sure, lessen his role citing age as a factor, but in reality, any scout who has watched a lot of football will always be able to see a talented player when they come across one. We would be foolish to maintain his status as of last season, but also hasty to disregard his opinion altogether.

My one caveat is that anyone who thought Riviere was anywhere near a Premier league footballer should have a long, hard look at themselves in the mirror.

• 77 Mister Tuff // May 26, 2016 at 1:52 AM

Lilo – thats me off – enjoyed the chat – one thing I’m certain of – there is going to be loads happening at SJP over the next couple of weeks as Benitez assembles a team that will be odds on to get straight back up.
    Do not necessarily think it will be Championship proven players though.;

• 78 Lilongwe Geordie // May 26, 2016 at 1:55 AM

You are right though, we will never know who was recommended and who wasn’t for certain. Seamus Coleman was offered to us but overlooked for less than £100,000.

I know for a fact Aaron Ramsey was recommended as a signing to NUFC for half a million, a year before he joined Arsenal for c.£5million. I wrote some of those reports. Still, I also recommended Carroll to Preston ( and other Championship and League 1 clubs) and he got the same number of red cards as he did goals. Definitely benefitted his development though.

• 79 Online Guy // May 26, 2016 at 2:13 AM

You say you want a Rafaolution
    Well, you know
    We all want to change the world
    You tell me that it’s evolution
    Well, you know
    We all want to change the world

But when you talk about Promotion
    Don’t you know that you can count me in

Don’t you know it’s gonna be, alright
    Don’t you know its gonna be, alright
    Don’t you know its gonna be, alright, Rafa ,Rafa, Rafa

You say you got a real solution
    Well, you know
    We’d all love to see the plan
    You ask me for a contribution
    Well, you know
    We’re all doing what we can

But if you want money for players that we all rate
    All I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Don’t you know it’s gonna be alright
    Alright, alright,…

You say you’ll change the constitution
    Well, you know
    We all want to win the league
    You tell me it’s a Rafalution
    Well, you know
    We been singing before McKeag

And if you go carrying pictures of Rafa now
    We’r going to make it, so take a bow..

Don’t you know know it’s gonna be, Rafa

Don’t you know its gonna be, Rafa

Don’t you know its gonna be Rafa .. ,

Don’t you know its gonna be Rafa

Alright, alright

Don’t you know its gonna be

Alright, alright
    Alright, alright
    Alright, Rafa Rafa Rafa

OG

• 80 Santon03 // May 26, 2016 at 4:46 AM

Never been so upbeat about NUFC since The Entertainer & SBR era, funny thing is I’m still upbeat even after relegated to championship.
    Hopefully this is a good news for Ginola and help him to get better.
    If it’s true we are spending money as if we are still in epl, it could only mean one thing that we are going for the cups while trying to get promotion at the same time probably focus more on cups.
    Which means Rafa is not waiting to get promotion to get to europe.
    Please please please Rafa sign Davide Santon, I don’t care what any body says he is my favourite player and he will be great with the right guidance, please bring him back. He can play 4 positions, rb lb rw lw which will be very good for the team.
    Also bring Abeid back for Tiote replacement.

• 81 Santon03 // May 26, 2016 at 4:53 AM

I’m kinda understand why MA will give authority to Rafa unlike previous managers, it is his credibility.
    Just look at pardew at cp, he finally got what he wants in cp but the club didn’t do any better let alone giving full authority to sm. it will be horror show.

• 82 lesh // May 26, 2016 at 6:09 AM

There was no sign of Charmless on the TV news of Rafa’s press conference. Did he not even have the decency to be their to formally welcome and introduce Rafa?

• 83 Carr Toon // May 26, 2016 at 6:14 AM

we may have been relegated, but just see what makems have and what we have just got………BIG SAM and KING RAFA…………miles apart in terms of quality …………………………………………………Howay the Lads!!!!!

• 84 U.S Magpie // May 26, 2016 at 6:21 AM

Ross and Arma up front will scare the shite out of defenders. I cannot wait to see those two attacking if we get him. Roll on Aug 6th FSC will be showing all the Newcastle Games in the states. So happy I kept that Channel on my package, I cannot wait to see who the first game is against. Lets be at home and start, ( Pause ) screw it I don’t care if we are home or away, let the first team we play be slaughtered and make the whole of the league look at that and think shite Newcastle are going to kill us. 10 weeks will go by fast, god I hope so.

• 85 Average_Contents // May 26, 2016 at 6:47 AM

Usmagpie

Fsc? Fox soccer channel?

• 86 LGFUAD21 // May 26, 2016 at 7:00 AM

Great news on Benitez.

Also McCormack for me is the best finisher in the championship. Give him the chances and he will score. Very intelligent in the box too.

We’re gonna need to beef the squad up a fair bit to get out of this. Especially given our injury record. The championship is a tough old league.

Just hope we build a squad that can get uip and stay up.

• 87 Jail for Ashley // May 26, 2016 at 7:24 AM

LFG,
    It does sound a lot of money for a 29 year old, but if his 25 goals get you promotion and you sell him on at a loss of 5M to another promotion seeking club then it’s money worth spent. I thought we might be ok with Arma, Perez, Mitro and Gouffran but then I looked at Gouffs stats, he’s a 1 in 5 at best. Proven striker is the way forward.

• 88 Ron Knee // May 26, 2016 at 7:33 AM

It’s only taken the club nine years to finally show a glimmer of intelligence. Well done, Ashley!

• 89 expatmag // May 26, 2016 at 7:40 AM

Mitro will score goals galore in the championship. What we need are suppliers to setvice him from the centre of midfield and the flanks.

We already have them in Aarons, Townsend and Shelvey, if they stay. Hiwrver, I wouldnt mind Redmond and Will Hughes signed too

• 90 Sliema // May 26, 2016 at 8:00 AM

Jail

You had to look up Gouffran’s goalscoring stats to decide if he’d be good enough for us as a striker option next season? An unnecessary 30 seconds of googling that you’ll never get back then.

• 91 Spoof // May 26, 2016 at 8:04 AM

It seems to me, however I’m probably wrong, but it appears as if Rafa wants to keep the majority of last seasons squad, so with that in mind we have to accept that we will still have last seasons problems, two severe weaknesses were a need for a commanding CB who could be a goal threat for us from set pieces, Lascellas could be the problem solver there but with Taylor expected to leave and Colo possibly leaving as well that leaves us short of a decent CB, so I expect one to be bought, another issue was the lack of a natural goalscorer, McCormack fits the bill, yes I understand the concern as to whether he would be good enough in the PL but we aren’t in the PL so lets worry about the PL if or when we get there, apart from those two positions depending upon how many of the squad Rafa retains we may not see many more signings as the squad is already more than strong enough to get us back up.

• 92 jimmysmith // May 26, 2016 at 8:05 AM

Obviously it’s all academic since Rafa calls the shots, and so it’s just a case of wait and see, but how is McCormack a better bet than Cisse really, who has played almost all his football at a far more elite level, is the same age and has a better conversion rate? Surely it’s easier to score goals in the Championship and easier for a top team that’s laying on a succession of chances. Why wouldn’t Cisse score a hatful?

• 93 emperor // May 26, 2016 at 10:14 AM

12 mill for a 29 year old .. 30 in august only 12 caps for scotland and never played a minute in a top league.. joke…
    I think we shoud go for ings instead him & mitro would be very dangerous

• 94 isleofmanman // May 26, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Excellent signing if it comes off

He knows the Championship like the back of his hand

The one and only objective is to get promoted. Then we can think about Premiership strikers

previous post: Rafa’s Comments – We Can Keep The Players We Want To Keep