The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa’s Comments – We Can Keep The Players We Want To Keep

7:20 pm, Wednesday, May 25th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 146 Comments

Rafa’s has completed his rather short press conference after being confirmed as the Newcastle United manager for at least the next three years.

The manager again pointed to the fans as the main reason for wanting to stay at the club and he has complimented Lee Charnley for giving him everything he asked for and again said his relationship with Lee is a very good one.

Well that’s saved Lee.

rafa benitez may 25 2016

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez at his press conference tonight

Here are some of the initial comments Rafa made tonight and notice he’s straight to work tonight after the press conference:

“The fans, stature of club and the future made my decision”

“I needed a new challenge and new project. I can see the size of the club. It’s massive.” “I am convinced we can win trophies – that’s why I am sitting here”

“I have had a lot of advice from a lot of people. With the fans behind the team and the press behind the team and the staff and everyone behind me and my family saying I have to stay.”

“After talking to Lee I think I can work with him.”  “From day one, my relationship with Lee Charnley has been really good. I’m very pleased to be working with him.”

“I have seen no problem working with Lee Charnley. He’s given me everything I’ve wanted. I am a football man, it’s important.”

“Football business, I will have responsibility. But main thing for me is that I will have a strong team and a winning team.””We can be where we belong but we must work hard”

“The Championship is one of the strongest leagues. It’s a challenge. There are good teams. We need experience and your support.”

“If I am here again, I would say it’s because I am convinced we can go up next season.”

“We can keep the players we want to keep.” If i don’t want to sell any players, I don’t need to sell any players”

“Thank you to the fans and the press because you have been very supportive. My family is in England and I wanted to stay here.”

“We have to start working – when I finish this press conference, I will start working.”

It seems that Newcastle’s financial state is still strong and they have probably already talked to Rafa about the players he wants to keep – and those he doesn’t need – and Newcastle will support that – and can support that financially.

That’s really good news, because it means we don’t have to weaken the side because of any financial considerations.

I guess we’ll hear more of Rafa’s full coaching squad soon – or should we say his full staff – because he also has scouting responsibilities.

This is  a massive coup for Newcastle United Football Club to hire a world-class manager.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

146 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // May 25, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Abrahamavic sighted in Sainsbury on Whitley Road……

Rafa to the rescue !

We will have a strong team !

Oh it’s coming up on sky next….

• 2 Shadow_Shearer // May 25, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Disappointed it wasn’t an 8 year contract.

• 3 firebug666 // May 25, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Shadow_Shearer

Not sure Rafa would want to be tied to an eight year contract like.

I am happy with three years for now, and see where we are after that.

• 4 manxpie // May 25, 2016 at 7:32 PM

BREAKING: #NUFC allow benitez to talk to #EFC regarding the vacant managers job! more to follow……

• 5 Shadow_Shearer // May 25, 2016 at 7:32 PM

How Sharpe is benitez. He said he will need up to two weeks to make a decision. On the 14th day he signs the contract.

• 6 Hail Wor Ashley // May 25, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Huge respect for Rafa. Pretty much the only manager in the top band that has ever done such a thing, usually once they become decorated and gain elite status they bounce around teams all over the world where they know they’ll have an immediate shot at winning the league, Mourinho is the most blatant example. Rafa has decided the wants to mix it up and build a club again from the ground up, a just relegated team! Never see 99% of them do that, just as big time Charlie as some players.

We’ve got man of integrity and dignity, dedicated to the football.

• 7 Shadow_Shearer // May 25, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Today is possibly the biggest signing of the club history. Only other signing as big as this was sir bobby Robson.
    A great manager is always a much bigger signing than a great player.

• 8 Bambams // May 25, 2016 at 7:39 PM

I am happy with 99% of what Rafa said…..

Boys has he confirmed ‘He will be bringing in players he wants’ ?

He sort of did by saying I will take responsibility. ….

• 9 Bambams // May 25, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Hail

Aye fella well said

• 10 Blackley and Brownlie // May 25, 2016 at 7:42 PM

When asked about whether he would have complete control of transfers, Rafa was somewhat equivocal. I didn’t hear him say “yes”. For some reason the simple little words are the hardest to say.

• 11 Shadow_Shearer // May 25, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Hail wor ashley

Spot on mate. Any other manager would go to a team guaranteed success because there to scared to dent there cv.

Signing on for newcastle has shown he’s so much more than that, & down to earth.

The amount of positivity & hope he’s brought to a relegated team is unreal. What set of mind would we be in if he didnt sign with us.

• 12 toonfan76 // May 25, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Just watched on ssn. Looks like Rafa can see what all us fans have known all our toon loving lives. We are a sleeping giant and he seems determined to wake us up.

• 13 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM

He said he did not have to sell any players he didn’t want to. Thats pretty definitive to me. He can say “no” to any offers that come.

• 14 manxpie // May 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM

tbh i never thought it would happen i felt charnley and ashley would fusk it up
    rafa in charge and 52000 fans in the championship unbelievable

• 15 Belfast // May 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM

I hope Rafa doesn’t want to keep that many of them to be honest.

Hopefully all money recouped can be spent on his own players.

• 16 Bambams // May 25, 2016 at 7:45 PM

B&B

My thoughts exactly…

Before the blog basher’s start I am not being negative ! Well happy with Rafa !

Just wanted to hear him say all players brought in will be his buys….

• 17 Blackley and Brownlie // May 25, 2016 at 7:45 PM

What is easier to say?

Or

“Yes”

• 18 Belfast // May 25, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Aye same here manxpie very surprised.

• 19 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Shadow

Its actually only the 10th day since he said that. Its 14 since we were relegated, but he did not say anything till the monday after the spurs dismantling.

• 20 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Blackley

Positive and informative answers are often better than a simple “yes”. I can’t believe even you are picking holes in something like this. I despair at some people at times, i really do.

• 21 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM

If he has got everything he wanted, you wouldn’t expect him to be flaunting it with an explicit “I’m boss now!” message.
    He probably hasn’t got all he wanted.
    He was circumspect. But believable.

• 22 manxpie // May 25, 2016 at 7:50 PM

im sure more details will come out over the coming days so we will find out about the transfer set up as im sure that will be the number 1 question asked daily

• 23 lochinvar // May 25, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Q. How do you confuse a mackem ?

A. Hold a press conference on a wet Wednesday evening after the football season has ended

• 24 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 25, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Going to be a lot harder to get tickets next season !

• 25 firebug666 // May 25, 2016 at 7:52 PM

I suppose Charnley will still have some involvement at the club, and part of that may be negotiating transfers.

There is no doubt Rafa will be heavily involved in bringing in his players, but may have to work with Charnley as he said.

• 26 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 7:53 PM

As was said several times earlier today, we have enough on our plates looking forward.
    Rafa signed for all of us.
    It’s not time for reprisals and who-said-whats.
    It is time to move on.

• 27 Yo-yo // May 25, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Today is Beattie’s birthday. I hope the ex-blogger is as pleased at the news about Rafa as I am (birthday tomorrow) I think this could be as momentous as the day Shearer came to the Toon.

I am convinced playing for Rafa will keep a couple of players who might have otherwise left, will stay on board the good ship NUFC, and I hope one of them is Townsend who will rip through a lot of Championship defences.

I’d like to see Mitro stay too , as he is about the age where maturity ought to start making a difference; JJ as he has the ability but needs the consistency, and I have convinced m,yself that I’d like Wini to stay as well. Same problem as Shelvey – he fails to turn up too often, but Rafa’s rotation system and tactics ought to keep him on his toes, and he will be devastating back in the EPL in 2017-8.

• 28 Blackley and Brownlie // May 25, 2016 at 7:58 PM

YouCouldn’tmakeitup
    Bambams knew what some folk would say.

You tell me. If you ask a question, is it better that a person responds with “yes” and then goes on to provide more information? I found myself trying to divine whether he was saying “yes” and, like BandB, I felt he was being circumspect.

Has he got complete control of transfers? Over to you? It’s what we’ve all been waiting to hear. It was the first question. What’s the answer?

• 29 Yo-yo // May 25, 2016 at 8:01 PM

BandB

I think Rafa wants to have a harmonious relationship with Charmless and public crowing isn’t going to help stabilise that partnership. If Penfold is Rafs’s bitch then fine, we don’t really need to see him publicy humiliated as well, however musch he desaerves the boot. I suppose it’s Ashley’s way of climbing down gracefully.

• 30 loonie-toon // May 25, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Cart wait for rafa to start bidding for players now 😉

• 31 Shadow_Shearer // May 25, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Who cares what benitez said. It’s all about what’s he’s done today. Sign a 3 year contract. As long as he’s happy to be here, & willing to do all he can for us. Couldn’t care less how his how the transfer system will work, so long as he’s gives a thumbs up to it.

• 32 manxpie // May 25, 2016 at 8:08 PM

surely “responsibility for all football related matters” means transfers as well?
    we’ll be able to tell if other scouts come in

• 33 Bobbybee // May 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Before the presser, ssn said he has been given everything he asked for etc. Control of incomings and outgoings was part of that. Does everyday running of football matters not include transfers? Search the smallprint, you’re sure to find something to gripe about. 😉 Today is a day to be happy, you do know that? 😉

• 34 Toon XI // May 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Ashley is still in control of the purse strings. I bet Rsfa was told to sell a few assets prior to spending.

Ashley was burned in January window and may not be as quick as we’d hope to splash cash this summer without serious selling to offset the transfer bill.

• 35 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Personally, i can process information on an answer and decide whether ot adds up to a yes. I do not see any ambiguity in “I do not have to sell anyone i do not want to” thats slightly paraphrased, but it is what he said. There was not even the slightest hint that anyone else has any say in it.

• 36 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 25, 2016 at 8:10 PM

In . It. *

• 37 Ron Knee // May 25, 2016 at 8:11 PM

“The bookmaker reports that no club has ever been such short odds to win the division and Benitez certainly has an expensively-constructed squad at his disposal.”

• 38 Back Door Man // May 25, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Great news … I was confident it would happen – my post from some weeks ago:

“Of course Manuel will stay.  What drives these fellas is a new challenge and it doesn’t get any better than the one confronting him.  He’ll pussy whip the Fatman into submission, tanning his arse with demands that can’t be resisted.”

• 39 Blackley and Brownlie // May 25, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Toon XI
    I agree. My only problem with new posters is when they have “Toon” in their name. A recipe for confusion.

• 40 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Have you got a twitch Bobs?

I’m feeling surprisingly untwitchy myself.

I expect Rafa to be busy right now, putting things right.

Yo-Yo

I totally agree. Blessed are the peacemakers.

• 41 Toon XI // May 25, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Considering I am not a new poster I guess I am not an issue. ?

Now a consistent poster …. That I am not.

• 42 Bambams // May 25, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Gents

I am ecstatic we have Rafa…..I didn’t think he would of been given all the assurances he allegedly asked for.

For me I am sure he will have much more to say about who comes in and who leaves than our previous managers.

I merely hoped he would have come out with he is bringing in a new scouting team, his targets and his signings.

We all agree some of our latter signings have been very poor.

I am not trying to look for anything negative, I am more optimistic than ever, since Sir Bob !

I agree we will know much more soon when we read about targets the club are looking at.

Cheers for the craic

• 43 Dagwoodz // May 25, 2016 at 8:16 PM

I’m still in shock that Ketsy thinks PEA is a realistic target. Lord knows that he’s been known come out with a gem every now and again regarding who he’d like see in the side, but I was a little taken aback by that one…

Glad to see Rafa officially installed as the full time gaffer…Good day on the toon!

• 44 Shadow_Shearer // May 25, 2016 at 8:16 PM

If rafa does not need to sell anybody he does not want to, surely that means very few players will be leaving. Hence we will have a very strong side for the championship.

• 45 Bobbybee // May 25, 2016 at 8:17 PM

Yo yo, i know who i want to stay – whoever Rafa wants to stay. 😉 He sees them on a daily basis and knows who and what roles he has in mind. This is a man we can trust with our club and i’m more than happy to let him get on with the job in hand. What a mint day to be mag. MAGnificent as hibbett would say. Monumental and marvelous and anything else that begins with m… or any other letter come to that. Get the fcuk in! 😉

• 46 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Ketsy….G2 without the chest hair.

• 47 funlovingexpress // May 25, 2016 at 8:20 PM

I bet some still think we need to sell to offset purchases.

We are 5 million worse off than we were at this stage last season in the premiership.

We earned £73 million from tv and league position and it will be deposited in our bank account soon.

Because we are self sufficient and don’t owe any bank loans the money we receive is used by the club.

This means we can not only pay the players wages, not cut staff, but it also means we should have money for new signings before anyone is even thought about being sold.

As we are just using club earnings we will also be fine with FFP regulations and its going to nark a lot of other clubs supporters.

<the reason other clubs can't do it is because they in many cases are still paying for players they no longer have and have huge overdrafts.

• 48 Toon XI // May 25, 2016 at 8:24 PM

FLE – yeah, but Ashley is our owner. And when money is involved everything is on he table for consideration.

• 49 Shadow_Shearer // May 25, 2016 at 8:25 PM

I would be very surprised if rafa agreed to sign on at newcastle without given full control of transfers,& a half decent budget at the very least. Why else would he want it all in writing.

• 50 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 8:25 PM

Long time poster first time bothered to read-er here.

I was just wondering what the panel think our chances of a Bas Dost article are in the coming. Transfer window?

• 51 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 8:26 PM

FLE

We are well placed.
    This will be a tough league.
    We need to win 60 per cent of our matches and lose less than 15 per cent.
    That is a tough ask.

Well, I think that’s me done.
    Time for new posters to have new debates on a new future.
    Don’t mention my name, and I won’t be back 🙂

• 52 Toon XI // May 25, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Shadow – I hope you are right. I’m just being cautious.

• 53 Blackley and Brownlie // May 25, 2016 at 8:28 PM

YCMIU
    Let’s say Charnley, advised by Carr or someone else, sees Sissoko as a purple valued at £10m and wants to play hard ball with any potential buyer. Can Rafa decide to overrule Charnley and sell the player for £5m? If Rafa had said “yes, I have complete control over transfer business”, I’d know the answer. As it is, I’m not sure. Rafa praised Charnley and their relationship. Perhaps it’s a grey area. If Rafa had been given everything he would like would there be any need for lengthy negotiations?

• 54 Mag52 // May 25, 2016 at 8:28 PM

I must admit I’ve been cynical about our ability to sign up Rafa right till the last minute, but now I’m ecstatic. The best news ever.

• 55 Shadow_Shearer // May 25, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Toon XI

I wouldn’t worry to much about it. Even of we don’t sign anybody, we will still have the best manager in the championship, & in my opinion the strongest team.

• 56 Munster Mag // May 25, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Make no mistake any of you misery guts, this is a great day and i have a bottle of spanish red waiting for me later 🙂 . This is a sea change in how the club is run and together with his 80 mill spend we have to ackowledge charnley and ashley here. So well done mikey boy 🙂

• 57 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 8:32 PM

BandB on the question of whether Mike Ashleys image could be relaunched following the engagement…of…erm..er..I was just..er……well I was just wondering..errrrr….. never mind.

🙂

• 58 Mister Tuff // May 25, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Rafa does not have to sell players does not mean he won’t.
    Could be that Tubbs has given him a pot and anything extra might come from players sales.
    There is sure to be a couple who will be leaving.

• 59 Hail Wor Ashley // May 25, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Don’t think so, this years profits were already spent along with the £30m or so we had in the bank. Where else do you think the £50m came from? Takes one look at the accounts to see we spent it in advance to try and secure ever more lucrative PL status. Mash said himself the bank is almost empty. Expect the accounts for this season when released next spring to read approximately break even.

Selling to buy it is and I’m fine with that because Rafa is obviously fine with that. His remarks about not having to sell if he doesn’t want to would indicate he also has full control on incomings, why would he be only given control of one valve and not the other? He wouldn’t settle for that and everything points to him having full control, only the most dour souls wish to see something else.

• 60 Back Door Man // May 25, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Shadow_shearer makes a valid point; why cashier anybody if you don’t have to, thus ensuring a big squad for the fight ahead.

I don’t know if the FL have rules about squad sizes or if it’s just about financial ratios. Anybody know?

• 61 Jail for Ashley // May 25, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Well done Adolf for building those autobahns!

• 62 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Ha ha flaming ha ha ha right on cue Munster pops up with his Rioja Reservation in hand ready to bash it off the @r5e end of the good ship Ashley.

Top top comedy.

• 63 Bobbybee // May 25, 2016 at 8:34 PM

The simple fact is that we must be the club in the strongest ever position in the Championship. No fire sale. Money to spend. Full houses. And more importantly, one of the best managers in the world to plan our comeback. This is dreamland under the circumstances. Wow! 😉

• 64 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Reservation? Reserva you useless technological tool

• 65 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Jail but he got the trains running on time.

• 66 Yo-yo // May 25, 2016 at 8:38 PM

BlaBr

I do not understand the logic of the example you cite.
    Why would Rafa possibly want to lose £5m of incoming transfer income ?
    – especially if this sum was lost from future incoming transfer funds.

Having control has to have the rider of not shooting self or club in foot.
    (sadly unlike some recent transfers under Carr)

• 67 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Yep there’s Lee in the picture as Rafa signs his Junior Spelling Bee 3rd place certificate.

• 68 Toon XI // May 25, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Shadow /- I’m with you. All is good. Just need to clean up a few bad apples and keep the fire burning next season.

• 69 dok - the horrid colonial // May 25, 2016 at 8:39 PM

were probably the happiest club ever to be relegated…

• 70 Back Door Man // May 25, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Now all we need is for The Man to ‘OFFICIALLY’ announce that the blog won’t be killed off.

• 71 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 8:41 PM

I wonder if those villa fans have still got their “sob on the tyne” bedsheets stored away safely?

• 72 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Announcement from Ed:

As long as Newcatsle have a football club, the blog will remain in force.

• 73 Jail for Ashley // May 25, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Almost a tear

• 74 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 8:43 PM

I may be as funny as something that lays eggs in your eyeball, but at least I’m persistent. 🙂

• 75 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Jail

Wow!

Four years.

How do you feel?

I would be happy to stay in touch, just to chew the cud from time to time. I won’t need to keep moving now.
    You too Skunki. I would like the opportunity to explain 🙂 And Dok.

And bettyswallocks and Jib. Though I don’t think I need to explain to you two. You never misunderstood.

And to Keith. I’ll miss you too.

Ed ;0

• 76 Yo-yo // May 25, 2016 at 8:44 PM

JAIL

That’s Nazi propaganda and a myth. Hitler took on an existing programme and claimed it as his own. The Nazis were really against autobahns earlier in the 20s.

• 77 Bobbybee // May 25, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Classic! Now loonie tunes is comparing ashley to hitler ffs!!! Let it go and be hapvpy for once. 😉

• 78 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 8:46 PM

shakeatailafeather@gmail.com

• 79 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Twitchy

You too

• 80 Bobbybee // May 25, 2016 at 8:48 PM

The autobahns were built to enable the german army to get from a to b quickly.

• 81 Gforbes73 // May 25, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Love it…….Let the Rafalution begin

• 82 dok - the horrid colonial // May 25, 2016 at 8:50 PM

BandB,

just sent you an email 🙂

• 83 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Hang on so we were the trains prompt?

• 84 Shadow_Shearer // May 25, 2016 at 8:52 PM

What I want to know now is, why did it take ashley about 8 years to realise we need a top top manager to go forward.

would have taken anybody else less than 1 year.

• 85 dok - the horrid colonial // May 25, 2016 at 8:52 PM

are you leaving us BandB?

• 86 NYMAG // May 25, 2016 at 8:53 PM

I’ve been glued to every football site going waiting for final confirmation. Finally the club has given the fans reason to get excited, to hope for better things. Can’t wait to see who he targets and who he decides to move on. Bring on Burton Albion!

• 87 manxpie // May 25, 2016 at 8:53 PM

what a guy!!

• 88 Jail for Ashley // May 25, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Booby,
    If you’ve never seen Mikey compared to Adolf, Josef or Pol, you’re not qualified to call someone a loon marrow 😉

• 89 Charlie in the Gallowgate // May 25, 2016 at 9:03 PM

great news

any word from Shearer yet ?

quick enough to dispel his chances of staying!!!

• 90 Rotonda heights // May 25, 2016 at 9:15 PM

yo yo

snap, birthday tomorrow too.

• 91 manxpie // May 25, 2016 at 9:16 PM

charlie aye he said he’s “a little surprised” but its a great coup for us

• 92 goommy // May 25, 2016 at 9:19 PM

That’s all clear. Rafa have enough power to kept any player he want. So I think most of our first team player will stay except some that Rafa won’t need. Can’t wait to see where Rafa will lead us to. HWTL!!

• 93 toonfan76 // May 25, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Rafa has shown all these top flight managers that if you can see the potential and you have the vision and the bottle, you will take the step down a division. Guess some of these other top managers aren’t so confident in their own ability. Another reason to have faith in our gaffa.

• 94 Charlie in the Gallowgate // May 25, 2016 at 9:21 PM

Manx

cheers – still think Shearer’s got the hump with Ashley and the appointment of RAFA

It should of been me !

• 95 manxpie // May 25, 2016 at 9:28 PM

aye charlie but tbf its taken them 7 years to work it out lol

• 96 Ron Knee // May 25, 2016 at 9:31 PM

To more important matters:

“Negotiations over Jose Mourinho’s image rights are delaying him becoming the new Manchester United manager.

Mourinho is expected to replace sacked Louis van Gaal, with talks ongoing between his agent Jorge Mendes and United officials.

But it has emerged that Chelsea still own the ‘Jose Mourinho’ name as a trademark – meaning United may need to pay a six-figure sum for the rights.”

• 97 jimmysmith // May 25, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Considering the riches we will lose out on by taking the drop, it comes as no surprise we don’t need to sell, but it will be fascinating to see how Rafa might reshape this squad.

I don’t think there’s a single player among the current group who wouldn’t do a good job in the Championship under Rafa, and more than a few that would tear it up.

To my mind, one or two like Agger, and we are more than set, and then will be well placed at the end of the year to move on those that can’t step up, whether because of age or ability.

I expect we won’t sell if it weakens the squad, and only buy players who’ll do a job for us when back.

• 98 Tsunki // May 25, 2016 at 9:41 PM

Image Rights. I’m guessing they weren’t the obstacle for Rotherham when McLaren applied.

• 99 Charlie in the Gallowgate // May 25, 2016 at 9:41 PM

Manx
    I you’re right there!

Ron
    The way the Premiership is lining up this season with Mourinhno image rights Pepe at City et al – the premiership becoming more like a circus.

Maybe it might not be a bad thing being in the championship with RAFA quietly building a team

• 100 welshgeordie9 // May 25, 2016 at 9:44 PM

Finally the moment I’ve been waiting for, great to see Benitez is going to be here in the championship, now i can relax, don’t care who stays, who goes or who comes in.

• 101 Yo-yo // May 25, 2016 at 9:49 PM

Bobby
    German army mostly went by rail.

Rotonda
    Then we both have a decent pressie from that generous Mr Ashley this year !

• 102 Munster Mag // May 25, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Tsunki, ashley didnt have to get rafa. Other managers can get you promoted but he went for rafa in the first place even if it was ti keep us up. And he has kept him. .He didnt have to acquisce to rafa and fan power. And he spent 80 mill . Lets give credit when its due. Now time for my red spanish vino 🙂

• 103 Belfast // May 25, 2016 at 9:51 PM

C’mon It was extremely unlikely that Rafa would be staying let’s be honest.

No better offers and the club completely ripping up their blueprint and bowing to his demands was extremely unlikely.

• 104 bettyswallocks // May 25, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Welshie………. I’m happy to see you happy.

• 105 Yo-yo // May 25, 2016 at 9:55 PM

There are several theories about creative destruction – how destroying something can lead to it being rebuilt better and that is just how I feel now about the relegation. With Rafa we will be back stronger and better.
    And not perpetually struggling to scrape above 18th place.

“The urge to destroy is a creative urge” so there Macca – you might have helped the club rebuild after all.

• 106 Belfast // May 25, 2016 at 9:55 PM

Unlike Ed I’m hoping for a swamp of the deck and losing a lot of the current losers who Ed calls “top players”

• 107 jimmysmith // May 25, 2016 at 9:56 PM

I think Ashley has done the right thing in terms of spending, and now in keeping hold of Rafa, but really he had little choice, considering our last two seasons and what other clubs are doing and spending. I don’t think he deserves any accolades.

• 108 bettyswallocks // May 25, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Belfast……. Maybe this is our time now and Rafa is a gift from the universe.

• 109 Munster Mag // May 25, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Jimmy, why not? He didnt have to get rafa. Fan anger wud dissipate fast in summertime especially if we had got anyone good.also we were promoted last time without ripping up the transfer template. All is changed, changed utterly

• 110 manxpie // May 25, 2016 at 10:01 PM

fusk me he speaks!!

• 111 jimmysmith // May 25, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Unless you think Rafa is solely responsible for the last six games. You’d then surely acknowledge there is real quality in this squad, particularly by Championship standards.

I suppose the contentious point is bottle. But we won’t be battling in this league, we will be playing with our tails up, and that suggests playing without the debilitating pressure that did so many of the players in.

• 112 welshgeordie9 // May 25, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Bettyswallocks

I’m always happy.

• 113 Mister Tuff // May 25, 2016 at 10:03 PM

moanster – when you finish your vino collapso will you celebrate further with an Irish jig incorporating the King Percy goal dance.
    I can just see it Michael Flatley Mk2.

• 114 Moonraker15 // May 25, 2016 at 10:04 PM

I knew he couldn’t resist the Toon challenge; but we the fans swung it. You’d have to have a heart of stone to ignore that support in the stadium!

• 115 jimmysmith // May 25, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Munster, what alternative was there to Rafa, that wouldn’t have been an intolerable slap in the face to the fans, his core users, considering the last two seasons?

• 116 martoon // May 25, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Just scanning the posts there seems to be some disagreement about Rafa’s control of transfers. It seems obvious to me he will be able to pick and choose players himself BUT he’ll have a budget to work to probably overseen by Charnley I would imagine. Otherwise he would just buy Messi, Bale and Aguero 🙂

• 117 Munster Mag // May 25, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Tufty, stop the low hanging fruit silliness. Yes pardew made a proper tool of himself as did their fans

• 118 bettyswallocks // May 25, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Welshie……..That’s because you have numerous ovine friends.

• 119 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Popped on, had a first check of the posts with Charnley and Rafa to read through. First comment, BandB posting to Toonfan76.

Wasn’t sure the context so skipped back to Toonfan76’s post. Incredible. If Rafa gets us promoted and wins something should we be pro Ashley?

The ink is barely dry. I seem to remember the turning the corner discussions happened last summer as well. McClaren had control, they were his signings, 2 months later they weren’t. January, things have changed – we are signing English players. They hadn’t.

It will take way more than one new manager, one window, to repair all the damage done to relationships between the fans, city and club. IF Ashley wins a trophy with Benitez, it is incredible. Does it absolve 9 previous years of mismanagement? Not in the slightest.

I wouldn’t necessarily want him out, if he finally has turned over a new leaf, if he runs it (the club) in a way that runs it sustainably to the best of its ability (he hasn’t done this so far – people will argue otherwise I’m sure) then I will be happy with his change of heart. Doesn’t make the previous 9 years more palatable, and certainly wouldn’t make me pro Ashley.

As BandB said, people (and she) did predict posters like this coming out, some did last summer as well. My advice, rather than asking deliberately provocative questions, and trying to spark something, enjoy the moment. Question things to do with the appointment. Pro or Anti Ashley, who cares. To argue if his tenure has been beneficial to a sporting clubs primary goal would be pure folly, and nothing more than a wind up.

• 120 welshgeordie9 // May 25, 2016 at 10:13 PM

Betty

Like i said I’m always happy, carry on with your cheap jokes, you or anyone else will never make me snap.

• 121 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 10:15 PM

martoon,
    There have to be checks and balances on Rafa’s authority. He signed more duds than successes at Liverpool. Particularly anyone who wasn’t an expensive signing. Anyone under £5million was a write off pretty much.

• 122 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 10:18 PM

In fiarness, I haven’t looked through them, but that comment was based on Liverpool fans and a local Liverpudlian journalist.

I do appreciate though that if the calibre of local scouse journalist is similar to Thomson house then it is an opinion that can be completely ignored.

Is there a complete list somewhere, it would be interesting to look through.

• 123 bettyswallocks // May 25, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Welshie……. Wouldn’t dream of trying to snap you. Love your banter.

• 124 Jail for Ashley // May 25, 2016 at 10:20 PM

manxpie,
    I’m not sure if i want to hear it speak, it might freak me out!

• 125 manxpie // May 25, 2016 at 10:24 PM

lol jail the same with ashley totally different voice than i expected
    he signs off with a big sell tho! typically

• 126 Yo-yo // May 25, 2016 at 10:24 PM

Lilo

There is – it was posted on here to debunk the myth that Rafa spent big and bad at Liverpool. TBH the list doesn’t seem to include a higher ration of duds than Carr – yes he made errors, some big some small, but the last two windows for us look worse – and it is not a precise art anyway. Sorry I don’t have the link..

• 127 martoon // May 25, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Lilongwe – no matter how much you spend you are always taking a chance on a new player – sometimes they just don’t work at a particular club for a variety of reasons. I don’t think Rafa’s record on this will be any worse than other managers – even Fergy bought some complete lemons!

• 128 jimmysmith // May 25, 2016 at 10:28 PM

Not only does he speak. He speaks well. You’re half expecting some sort of gurgling, drooling, lickspittle, so awful have things been, but it’s not the case. Lets hear more from you Mr Charnley.

Well perhaps just a little more will suffice.

• 129 Ibizatoon // May 25, 2016 at 10:32 PM

What exceptional news. Going to keep it short and sweet tonight. Do the Magpies dare to dream?

Jimmy…I was just thinking the same. I imagine the reason we haven’t heard from him previously is that he wasn’t so comfortable selling the product.

Lil @119…Haven’t read all of today’s posts, but that one wins anyway. Well said.

• 130 Yo-yo // May 25, 2016 at 10:35 PM

martoon

And Fergy traded out some talent that didn’t work for him, but did okay after they moved … Forlan, Zaha fr’s instance

• 131 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Yo-Yo,
    Every person involved in making signings gets a sizeable proportion wrong. My argument in Carr’s defence is that all scouts have preferred agents – I worked for a scouting agency – I was never senior enough to have a preferred partner, but those above me certainly did.

Yes, Carr got a number of signings wrong, he should have had people above him who worked with both and had a experience, knowledge of their role and a certain competency level. Let any scout loose at that level and the majority of signings will come from one area, because that is what they know.

My point with Rafa is that he needs the same checks and balances above him as any scout. Clearly the previous board aren’t competent for this. If we bring in a manager of this calibre, we also need people above him who can/have operated at Rafa’s level (or higher).

Carr was elevated above his station, and that was given too much control, much like the entire football board. I’d like Rafa to concentrate on the training ground and team building side, rather than being given an all encompassing role of control.

Rafa is very committed to the game, whether in or out of work, and is very much a student of the game. Nobody gets it right all the time, especially when bringing in potential. Rafa is no exception. Carr, for me, still probably has a role. A significantly reduced one, but back to his bread and butter, just watching players and putting them forward as a potential.

• 132 Ibizatoon // May 25, 2016 at 10:37 PM

Let’s not be forgetting Obertan.

I’m sure I’m not alone in wondering what Rafa might have been able to do with him.

Oh well. Life goes on.

Night all x

• 133 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 10:40 PM

martoon,
    See my post to Yo-yo. Nobody gets it right. Carr was given too much power, but definitely still has an eye for talent. As good as a few years ago, maybe not. But he has picked a number of good players for us, and a number who are well rated. Yes, duds along the way, but as you say, everyone makes those mistakes. Need I mention Bebe, Kleberson. Even Fumaca, an SBR short term signing, and probably the worst player I’ve seen in the Prem – SBR agreed with me when I met him one time on that.

• 134 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 10:43 PM

Ibiza,
    Maybe I’m just in a controversial mood tonight, but I actually think Obertan would be a very useful player in the Championship. Did we release him before or after relegation was confirmed? Reduced wage, deserving of his injuries and lack of performances, off the bench he could be a good impact player. I’d rather have him as back up rather than one of Goofy, Riviere or Thauvin.

Still he has gone, and there are better out there who could do a similar job.

• 135 Ibizatoon // May 25, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Lil…Ha, you wind up, you. You’re actually probably right. I wont lose too much sleep over it though.

I think he went along with Marveaux before we were relegated. Well, officially relegated. It had been on the cards for a while. Nice little lift towards the end though. Was nice to watch NUFC again. Long may it continue.

No doubt I’ll catch you on here soon.

It’s bedtime for me.

• 136 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Ibiza,
    Just seen my your token mention to me at the bottom of your post, thank you. I will put my post of the day award right next to my log rating award where I think I got the same mark as you – the highest in the first 24 hours of G2’s blog rankings. Went a bit missing after that, so I assume someone beat us – if not it is a poorer blog than I thought – no offence to your blogging intended! (I think you would agree that if we are top, the bar is set pretty low)

• 137 BandB // May 25, 2016 at 10:50 PM

Thanks for the comments Lilongwe Geordie.
    I tapped in my email address earlier.
    We have a shared interest in southern Africa I was always uncomfortable about discussing on this blog.
    And probably a few more.

• 138 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Ibiza,
    Standard lift. Big (headed) players putting in big performances against a side near the top. We saw that from most of them under Pardew, Carver and McClaren. 6 unbeaten, but failed to beat Norwich, Sunderland and Villa which was our downfall.

Where was the 5-1 Spurs performances in those games? Not shop window-y enough I guess. Unbeaten against Spurs, Liverpool, Man U last season (12 points). One win against Norwich, Sunderland and Villa… (6 points)

• 139 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 10:57 PM

Just lounging in The Happy Carrot basking in the glow of the Rafa signing. Brilliant. I might even be able to put up with Charnley unless he starts to c0ck things up.

• 140 Blackley and Brownlie // May 25, 2016 at 10:57 PM

66Yo-yo // May 25, 2016 at 8:38 PM

BlaBr

I do not understand the logic of the example you cite.
    Why would Rafa possibly want to lose £5m of incoming transfer income ?
    – especially if this sum was lost from future incoming transfer funds.

Having control has to have the rider of not shooting self or club in foot.
    (sadly unlike some recent transfers under Carr)

***************************************

For example, for footballing reasons, Rafa might want rid of a bad apple. Or he might not agree Charnley’s valuation and he might consider it folly to play hard ball in the market, especially if it means he loses the chance to snap up a target replacement.

Has he got complete control of transfer business or not? An important question to which we have a politician’s answer.

• 141 Lilongwe Geordie // May 25, 2016 at 10:58 PM

BandB,
    Tapped in your email address?

I didn’t realise you had any connection to Southern Africa, I don’t know if you are referring to an earlier comment I put on here which was (in my opinion) shocking, here very much accepted. If you are, then I am sorry to here that, and know that my being sorry makes little to no difference. I’ve queried the comment with people here, but absolutely nobody sees a problem with it, which is shocking in its own right.

• 142 Ibizatoon // May 25, 2016 at 10:58 PM

BandB…I may drop you a line one day…

Lil…Ah yes. I missed the event, but did hear about it.

It was a pleasure to be ranked next to you. I agree, the bar needs resetting though.

Good night.

• 143 GeordieTwo // May 25, 2016 at 10:59 PM

That’s complete humble cheek from you Lilongwe mate. You and Ibiza took the top Blogger prize. You will have to work harder this season coming though. Very competitive…..

• 144 toonfan76 // May 25, 2016 at 11:29 PM

I will apologise for my earlier comment as I did not intend to cause issue with any bloggers as I enjoy reading many of the comments. I will try to have a more positive input in future. Apologies again to all.

• 145 aussiegeordie83 // May 26, 2016 at 4:02 AM

Welcome Rafa! Looking forward to the changes in the off season and the player clearout and regeneration of the squad and then seeing us improve ready for Match day 1. Promotion here we come! Up the toon!

• 146 U.S Magpie // May 26, 2016 at 6:12 AM

Well finally, lets see what dead wood he gets rid of.
    I do so hope that he gives Armstrong a good look over, sounds funny but I trust him more than the Serbian Assassin. One season in the championship would be nice of course its not a guarantee that we will come straight back up. But hopefully we do and we can make the grade back in the Prem. I trust Rafa and now he is using his own scouts maybe he will get players that want to play and not just for the pay cheque.

previous post: Magpies Confirm Benitez Signing – I See A Great Future For Newcastle

next post: Rafa Going All Out To Close His First Ever Signing For Newcastle