Rafa’s Comments – We Can Keep The Players We Want To Keep

Rafa’s has completed his rather short press conference after being confirmed as the Newcastle United manager for at least the next three years.

The manager again pointed to the fans as the main reason for wanting to stay at the club and he has complimented Lee Charnley for giving him everything he asked for and again said his relationship with Lee is a very good one.

Well that’s saved Lee.

rafa benitez may 25 2016

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez at his press conference tonight

Here are some of the initial comments Rafa made tonight and notice he’s straight to work tonight after the press conference:

“The fans, stature of club and the future made my decision”

“I needed a new challenge and new project. I can see the size of the club. It’s massive.” “I am convinced we can win trophies – that’s why I am sitting here”

“I have had a lot of advice from a lot of people. With the fans behind the team and the press behind the team and the staff and everyone behind me and my family saying I have to stay.”

“After talking to Lee I think I can work with him.”  “From day one, my relationship with Lee Charnley has been really good. I’m very pleased to be working with him.”

“I have seen no problem working with Lee Charnley. He’s given me everything I’ve wanted. I am a football man, it’s important.”

“Football business, I will have responsibility. But main thing for me is that I will have a strong team and a winning team.””We can be where we belong but we must work hard”

“The Championship is one of the strongest leagues. It’s a challenge. There are good teams. We need experience and your support.”

“If I am here again, I would say it’s because I am convinced we can go up next season.”

“We can keep the players we want to keep.” If i don’t want to sell any players, I don’t need to sell any players”

“Thank you to the fans and the press because you have been very supportive. My family is in England and I wanted to stay here.”

“We have to start working – when I finish this press conference, I will start working.”

It seems that Newcastle’s financial state is still strong and they have probably already talked to Rafa about the players he wants to keep – and those he doesn’t need – and Newcastle will support that – and can support that financially.

That’s really good news, because it means we don’t have to weaken the side because of any financial considerations.

I guess we’ll hear more of Rafa’s full coaching squad soon – or should we say his full staff – because he also has scouting responsibilities.

This is  a massive coup for Newcastle United Football Club to hire a world-class manager.

• Bambams

May 25, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Abrahamavic sighted in Sainsbury on Whitley Road……

Rafa to the rescue !

We will have a strong team !

Oh it’s coming up on sky next….

• Shadow_Shearer

May 25, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Disappointed it wasn’t an 8 year contract.

• firebug666

May 25, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Shadow_Shearer

Not sure Rafa would want to be tied to an eight year contract like.

I am happy with three years for now, and see where we are after that.

• manxpie

May 25, 2016 at 7:32 PM

BREAKING: #NUFC allow benitez to talk to #EFC regarding the vacant managers job! more to follow……

• Shadow_Shearer

May 25, 2016 at 7:32 PM

How Sharpe is benitez. He said he will need up to two weeks to make a decision. On the 14th day he signs the contract.

• Hail Wor Ashley

May 25, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Huge respect for Rafa. Pretty much the only manager in the top band that has ever done such a thing, usually once they become decorated and gain elite status they bounce around teams all over the world where they know they’ll have an immediate shot at winning the league, Mourinho is the most blatant example. Rafa has decided the wants to mix it up and build a club again from the ground up, a just relegated team! Never see 99% of them do that, just as big time Charlie as some players.

We’ve got man of integrity and dignity, dedicated to the football.

• Shadow_Shearer

May 25, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Today is possibly the biggest signing of the club history. Only other signing as big as this was sir bobby Robson.
    A great manager is always a much bigger signing than a great player.

• Bambams

May 25, 2016 at 7:39 PM

I am happy with 99% of what Rafa said…..

Boys has he confirmed ‘He will be bringing in players he wants’ ?

He sort of did by saying I will take responsibility. ….

• Bambams

May 25, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Hail

Aye fella well said

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 25, 2016 at 7:42 PM

When asked about whether he would have complete control of transfers, Rafa was somewhat equivocal. I didn’t hear him say “yes”. For some reason the simple little words are the hardest to say.

• Shadow_Shearer

May 25, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Hail wor ashley

Spot on mate. Any other manager would go to a team guaranteed success because there to scared to dent there cv.

Signing on for newcastle has shown he’s so much more than that, & down to earth.

The amount of positivity & hope he’s brought to a relegated team is unreal. What set of mind would we be in if he didnt sign with us.

• toonfan76

May 25, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Just watched on ssn. Looks like Rafa can see what all us fans have known all our toon loving lives. We are a sleeping giant and he seems determined to wake us up.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM

He said he did not have to sell any players he didn’t want to. Thats pretty definitive to me. He can say “no” to any offers that come.

• manxpie

May 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM

tbh i never thought it would happen i felt charnley and ashley would fusk it up
    rafa in charge and 52000 fans in the championship unbelievable

• Belfast

May 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM

I hope Rafa doesn’t want to keep that many of them to be honest.

Hopefully all money recouped can be spent on his own players.

• Bambams

May 25, 2016 at 7:45 PM

B&B

My thoughts exactly…

Before the blog basher’s start I am not being negative ! Well happy with Rafa !

Just wanted to hear him say all players brought in will be his buys….

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 25, 2016 at 7:45 PM

What is easier to say?

Or

“Yes”

• Belfast

May 25, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Aye same here manxpie very surprised.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 25, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Shadow

Its actually only the 10th day since he said that. Its 14 since we were relegated, but he did not say anything till the monday after the spurs dismantling.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Blackley

Positive and informative answers are often better than a simple “yes”. I can’t believe even you are picking holes in something like this. I despair at some people at times, i really do.

• BandB

May 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM

If he has got everything he wanted, you wouldn’t expect him to be flaunting it with an explicit “I’m boss now!” message.
    He probably hasn’t got all he wanted.
    He was circumspect. But believable.

• manxpie

May 25, 2016 at 7:50 PM

im sure more details will come out over the coming days so we will find out about the transfer set up as im sure that will be the number 1 question asked daily

• lochinvar

May 25, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Q. How do you confuse a mackem ?

A. Hold a press conference on a wet Wednesday evening after the football season has ended

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 25, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Going to be a lot harder to get tickets next season !

• firebug666

May 25, 2016 at 7:52 PM

I suppose Charnley will still have some involvement at the club, and part of that may be negotiating transfers.

There is no doubt Rafa will be heavily involved in bringing in his players, but may have to work with Charnley as he said.

• BandB

May 25, 2016 at 7:53 PM

As was said several times earlier today, we have enough on our plates looking forward.
    Rafa signed for all of us.
    It’s not time for reprisals and who-said-whats.
    It is time to move on.

• Yo-yo

May 25, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Today is Beattie’s birthday. I hope the ex-blogger is as pleased at the news about Rafa as I am (birthday tomorrow) I think this could be as momentous as the day Shearer came to the Toon.

I am convinced playing for Rafa will keep a couple of players who might have otherwise left, will stay on board the good ship NUFC, and I hope one of them is Townsend who will rip through a lot of Championship defences.

I’d like to see Mitro stay too , as he is about the age where maturity ought to start making a difference; JJ as he has the ability but needs the consistency, and I have convinced m,yself that I’d like Wini to stay as well. Same problem as Shelvey – he fails to turn up too often, but Rafa’s rotation system and tactics ought to keep him on his toes, and he will be devastating back in the EPL in 2017-8.

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 25, 2016 at 7:58 PM

YouCouldn’tmakeitup
    Bambams knew what some folk would say.

You tell me. If you ask a question, is it better that a person responds with “yes” and then goes on to provide more information? I found myself trying to divine whether he was saying “yes” and, like BandB, I felt he was being circumspect.

Has he got complete control of transfers? Over to you? It’s what we’ve all been waiting to hear. It was the first question. What’s the answer?

• Yo-yo

May 25, 2016 at 8:01 PM

BandB

I think Rafa wants to have a harmonious relationship with Charmless and public crowing isn’t going to help stabilise that partnership. If Penfold is Rafs’s bitch then fine, we don’t really need to see him publicy humiliated as well, however musch he desaerves the boot. I suppose it’s Ashley’s way of climbing down gracefully.

• loonie-toon

May 25, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Cart wait for rafa to start bidding for players now 😉

• Shadow_Shearer

May 25, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Who cares what benitez said. It’s all about what’s he’s done today. Sign a 3 year contract. As long as he’s happy to be here, & willing to do all he can for us. Couldn’t care less how his how the transfer system will work, so long as he’s gives a thumbs up to it.

• manxpie

May 25, 2016 at 8:08 PM

surely “responsibility for all football related matters” means transfers as well?
    we’ll be able to tell if other scouts come in

• Bobbybee

May 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Before the presser, ssn said he has been given everything he asked for etc. Control of incomings and outgoings was part of that. Does everyday running of football matters not include transfers? Search the smallprint, you’re sure to find something to gripe about. 😉 Today is a day to be happy, you do know that? 😉

• Toon XI

May 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Ashley is still in control of the purse strings. I bet Rsfa was told to sell a few assets prior to spending.

Ashley was burned in January window and may not be as quick as we’d hope to splash cash this summer without serious selling to offset the transfer bill.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Personally, i can process information on an answer and decide whether ot adds up to a yes. I do not see any ambiguity in “I do not have to sell anyone i do not want to” thats slightly paraphrased, but it is what he said. There was not even the slightest hint that anyone else has any say in it.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 25, 2016 at 8:10 PM

In . It. *

• Ron Knee

May 25, 2016 at 8:11 PM

“The bookmaker reports that no club has ever been such short odds to win the division and Benitez certainly has an expensively-constructed squad at his disposal.”

• Back Door Man

May 25, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Great news … I was confident it would happen – my post from some weeks ago:

“Of course Manuel will stay.  What drives these fellas is a new challenge and it doesn’t get any better than the one confronting him.  He’ll pussy whip the Fatman into submission, tanning his arse with demands that can’t be resisted.”

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 25, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Toon XI
    I agree. My only problem with new posters is when they have “Toon” in their name. A recipe for confusion.

• BandB

May 25, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Have you got a twitch Bobs?

I’m feeling surprisingly untwitchy myself.

I expect Rafa to be busy right now, putting things right.

Yo-Yo

I totally agree. Blessed are the peacemakers.