The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

All Things Have Come Together For Me At Newcastle

12:21 pm, Thursday, May 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

Rafa Benitez was appointed as the new Newcastle manager for at least three years yesterday and he gave a press conference at 7:00 pm last night and then gave a few more interviews and was able to cover a lot of information – including why he decided to stay at Newcastle – a second division club – even though he turned down some big money offers to take the challenge at Newcastle.

Rafa sees Newcastle as another Liverpool – but maybe even a bigger opportunity since there’s only one club in the football mad city of Newcastle upon Tyne.

And Newcastle,  unlike Liverpool, hasn’t won a trophy since 1969 and hasn’t won a domestic trophy since way back in 1955 when we demolished Manchester City 3-1 in the FA Cup final – a game my parents were at.

rafa benitez closeup

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle United manager

That could all change under Rafa Benitez – and maybe sooner than we think.

This is some of what Rafa said yesterday:

“I had some offers, for big money, but I am happy here because I can see a project and a future, a big club, fantastic fans, a lot of support and my family.”

“You put everything together and I’m really pleased to be here.” “The first reason for me to stay was the fans, the stature of the club and the future.”

“I have seen all these things together.” “I came here because of that and I could see these things every day, especially the last day of the season.”

“There have been lots of positive things from day one.” “Also my family is in England and I wanted to stay here. I am really happy to be here.

“I am here because I am convinced we can go up next season, stay there for a long time and even win trophies.”

“If I decide to stay it is because I believe we can be where we belong.” “We cannot say: ‘We are a massive club and we deserved to be in the Premier League’.”

“We have to be professional, train well, prepare for games like they are a final.” “We have to work harder than everyone. It is a challenge, yes.”

“I have won trophies – now it is time for a new project, a new challenge.” “I can see the possibilities and the size of the club and the potential.”

“Everything is massive and I want to be a part of it.” “The first thing is to promote and after we will see if we are stronger or not.”

“I will not make the mistake of saying this or saying that.”  “No – we are a very good Championship team at the moment and we are a massive club.”

“But we have to deserve to be there.” “And to do that we have to work hard – that’s it.”

That’s one of the many things we like about Rafa and why he’s been so successful in football.

He takes absolutely nothing for granted and never gets carried away – the only important thing for Rafa is the next game and how he can win it.

Sounds good to us.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // May 26, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Te quiero Rafa bienvenido a Newcastle!

• 2 Back Door Man // May 26, 2016 at 12:28 PM

The blog’s been a den of tranquility, a splendid love fest of mutual caressing for a day or two … until 10.28am today when Jiblet leapt out of the undergrowth, garrote in hand, and broke the truce with the attempted the assissination of Rotonta, G2 and Tsunki.  Not since Pearl Harbour have we witnessed such a “dastardly and unprovoked attack”
    (apologies to JFK … for those in the C Stream that’s Roosevelt, not Kinnear).  So, bring on the bun fight so we can defend ourselves “on the beaches and the landing grounds … we’ll never be defeated”
    (apologies to Churchill … for those in the C Stream that’s Winston, not the dog).

Whilst Jib didn’t misquote Voltaire’s Candide a couple of days ago he certainly didn’t understand what really drove Pangloss.  I suppose that’s because Google just gave him the famous ‘raw’ quote which he unthinkingly reproduced here.  Perhaps Jiblet didn’t attend the Royal Grammar School, as he claimed recently, so maybe hasn’t been equipped with the necessary skills to analyse the text correctly;  those who have, and especially those who’ve done it in the original French, know that our ‘hero’ was a loser whose todger was riddled with Syphilis … the dirty bastard!

So, Jiblet, have you really modelled your life on him?

Oh, as to Jiblet’s claim to be a teacher of Philosophy … well, what to make of this assertion when he can’t even correctly spell the word.

• 3 firebug666 // May 26, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Great words from Rafa, with him we know what we will get.

I look forward to seeing who we will play in pre-season, and how he will be setting us up.

• 4 Back Door Man // May 26, 2016 at 12:29 PM

assassination even.

• 5 Back Door Man // May 26, 2016 at 12:36 PM

I loved that tale, posted on here by others yesterday, about Mourinho’s image rights – you really couldn’t make this stuff up.

Just imagine the negotiations that Hippo Arse Heed and Bentbeak Bruce would have?  Something like, “you must be joking, your mugs have no commercial value except for radio”.

• 6 Munster Mag // May 26, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Firebug, it will be 4231 nothing more certain than that imo. I think he will look to buy a bigger pacier striker up front. we need to get one or two more centre halves ideally with experience. I think he should cleat out a good few . I just cant see fellas like sissoko performing in this league whilst dreaming of PSG etc. We certainly need a proper speedy right winger, striker, centre half and left or right full back depending on if janmaat stays.

• 7 WWSBRD // May 26, 2016 at 12:39 PM

He just gets it man, makes me feel like a mag again

• 8 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 12:42 PM

We start next season in a unique position. I doubt that any other team in the Championship has ever started from such a position of strength. There will be no fire sale, because we are financially sound. We can keep whoever we want. We can buy whoever we want – within reason. We have money in the bank. Add to that 50k fans every week and more importantly – crucially in fact – we have one of the world’s best managers to plot our phoenix like revival. Nobody, since the inception of the PL, has ever started a season in the Champions from such a position of strength. Happy days indeed. 🙂

• 9 manxpie // May 26, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Quite a creepy pic that like!

• 10 JP...from The Rock // May 26, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Although I am very positive in our chances of winning promotion, I am weary that although we have good players they have been one of the min reasons we have recently been relegated and are not mentally nor physically strong enough for the rigors of the Championship. Also Benitez is entering uncharted territory. He has great football knowledge but this league is new to him and these lesser teams will all be desperate to dent our title hopes knowing our stature and that we have the best manager in the league.

Benitez has to buy good players that can adapt easily to this league and squad. Ross McCormack is a good shout as he is very good in this league and we’ll be taking a good player off one of our rivals. We need more of this, the likes of Will Hughes etc will help us immensely and I hope these are the sort of players Benitez is looking to add to our unbalanced squad.

• 11 JP...from The Rock // May 26, 2016 at 12:55 PM

*main reasons

• 12 Shadow_Shearer // May 26, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Bobby bee

U agree with everything u just said there. We are at least a mid table premiership team that’s been relegated. We will be the light years ahead of that league espically with benitez in charge.

I’m gonna go for a really bold prediction here, I predict we will not lose a single game in the championship.
    Ofcourse I won’t be upset if we lose one or two, but im predicting us to be unbeaten.

• 13 Jib // May 26, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Dastardly and unprovoked attack was actually FDR
    JFK was only 24 when Pearl Harbour was attacked

• 14 Average_Contents // May 26, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Manx

It’s akin to that mick McCarthy video that was doing the rounds a couple of years ago lol.

• 15 Oldgit1 // May 26, 2016 at 1:07 PM

I feel good that I have lived in an era from the days of joe Harvey to have supported Newcastle under the guidance of Kevin Keegan, Sir Bobby Robson and now we have Rafa who I believe won’t be as free flowing style as football as the others but we will win something that is for sure. I just hope time is on my side.

Since Ashley took over my beloved club he has tried to run it on the cheap, I’m a believer that you get what you pay for and I dont think Rava comes cheap but God he will be so worth it.

• 16 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 1:09 PM

It’s all a matter of opinion of course, but i disagree with this bigging up of the Championship as if it really is something special. It ain’t. It’s the league below the PL and as such, not as good. It is no coincidence that any side getting promoted to the PL who doesn’t greatly improve their squad, comes back down. It is different, but it’s nowt special. 11 v 11, best team wins. Rafa knows football inside out. The same rules apply and it is exactly the same game. The best team wins the league in the Championship, just like in any other league in the world. We shouldn’t take anything for granted, but neither should we convince ourselves it’s ‘special’. The last two times we’ve been in it, we won it because we were the best over the season. We did it under KK and we did it under CH. I reckon we can do it under the best of the three. Nothing is guaranteed and you can rest assured Rafa knows that, but I know which team I’d rather be part of, and that’s ours.

• 17 Jib // May 26, 2016 at 1:09 PM

In the Championship you show defences no mercy .

We need more than Mitro and Cissé.

Last time it was Carroll Ameobi Lovenkrands all interchangeable big lads or speed merchants with Nolan also coming through from midfield and even Nile Ranger on occasion !

• 18 Back Door Man // May 26, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Quite right Jiblets – JFK v FDR = typo on timy phone keyboard. See what I mean … timy =tiny.

• 19 Ian Toon // May 26, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Jib- Fraser Forster went to the Royal Grammar School.
    Not a lot of people know that.

previous post: Benitez Could Be Interested In This Real Madrid Defender