The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Hero Chris Hughton Talks About Rafa – A Proper Football Person

4:45 pm, Thursday, May 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

Newcastle have been relegated from the Premier League twice and the last time it was a tremendous effort from Chris Hughton and assistant manager Colin Calderwood that got us promoted with a massive 102 points and 30 wins back in 2010.

That was only 4 points short of the record Championship 106 points (31 wins) of Reading in season 2005-2006.

Chris is now manager of Brighton and Colin is his assistant down south – and they have done really well.

Brighton were so unlucky to miss out on an automatic promotion last season – Middlesbrough had a better goal difference by just 2 goals and were promoted.

chris hughton colin calderwood

Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood while at Newcastle

And then Brighton were eliminated in the play-offs by Sheffield Wednesday and Newcastle and Brighton will now meet next season in the Championship.

Chris has talked to the local Brighton Argus about yesterday’s news about Rafa Benitez staying on at Newcastle:

“It gives Newcastle that little bit of stability.” “They haven’t got to go out and get someone else.”

“Benitez has done very well in a short period of time there.” “It is a major coup for the club and there is no doubt it makes the division stronger.”

“As a player you always want to play against the best teams and the bigger clubs.” “They don’t come much bigger in the Championship than Newcastle – so it’s one for the players to look forward to.”

“I’ve met him on a couple of occasions.” “Whenever I have spoken to him he is a proper football person.”

“He loves the game and the loves the English game.” “I’m certainly looking forward to coming up against him.”

“It will tough because Newcastle are a good outfit.”

After doing such a wonderful job to get us promoted at the first attempt, Chris was fired in early December of 2010.

That was after we had beaten Sunderland 5-1 at home and Arsenal 1-0 away – the only time we have ever won at the Etihad Stadium – and it was a towering Andy Carroll header just before half time that got us that famous win.

To say Chris’ sacking was uncalled for and completely unjust is a huge understatement.

Chris and Colin will get a hero’s welcome when they return to St. James Park next season, with their strong Brighton & Hove Albion team.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League · Press

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // May 26, 2016 at 4:47 PM

Hoots will get a good reception when he returns…and rightly so

• 2 hibbitt // May 26, 2016 at 4:47 PM

anyone know if the home grown rule applies in the championship as kets seems to want to sell all our homegrown players ???

• 3 cjtoon // May 26, 2016 at 4:49 PM

REPOST – Hi all, haven’t posted in ages but I like how much more positive everyone is at present which is 100% ironic given the fact we were just relegated! APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE FOR HOW LONG THIS IS!

There are so many options for Rafa next season – a lot of which will depend upon who will actively want to leave. I think there are some players who will be itching to get out of the door and others who will be ‘up for the fight’ and the promising outlook on the future under rafa.

You’d have to say the squad that was relegated should be able to get a top two spot next season if nobody came In or left but there will be both comings and goings…

I expect to see the following leave:

Obertan – Already Gone.
    Marveaux – Already Gone.
    Tim Krul – 50/50 will be interest I think and he loves the club but I think may leave.
    S Taylor – Free.
    Fabricio Coloccini – Think he’ll return home – contracted til june ‘17 though.
    Daryl Janmaat – Think he’ll want to move on.
    Henri Saivet – Barely seen a blade of grass since joining can’t be happy.
    Jonjo Shelvey – Can’t imagine him wanting to be outside the premier league.
    Gini Wijnaldum – Seemingly wants to go (we should make a profit).
    Moussa Sissoko – Itching to go (Will make a very healthy profit) .
    Florian Thauvin – Looks to be heading out never to return…
    Rolando Aarons – Would love him to stay but we’re cutting it fine!
    Andros Townsend – He will be in demand and has a clause – will be a queue!
    Yoan Gouffran – times up must be tired of being out of the picture.
    Seydou Doumbia – Loan is up.
    Papiss Demba Cisse – Past his peak and I would imagine expecting to leave.

I’m not saying I want those guys to leave but I kind of expect it for one reason or another – regardless of what Rafa said about not needing to sell, if he wants to keep players – Most managers won’t keep unhappy players that want to move. Not to mention in reality there will be interest in a lot of the ones not on that list (I just feel they’re less likely to go). We have a few loans to come back in too (some may be moved on but not sure how ‘in depth’ the assessment of the full club squad will have been. I imagine a lot of our ‘squad players’ will be given pre-season to impress.

Anyway if the guys up above left I think we would still have the core of a really good squad – if the above did leave and went at their transfermarkt values (which seem lower than you’d expect) it would generate £67.5 million that’s a huge amount to rebuild the squad with the right players.

If those guys did leave it would leave us with:

GK – Elliot, Darlow, Woodman.
    DR – Mbabu, (Anita to Cover), Sterry.
    DC – Mbemba, Lascelles, Good, Satka,
    DL – Dummett (I prefer at CB), Haidara.
    DM / MC / AMC– Tiote, Anita, Colback, Bigirimana, Vuckic, De Jong.
    MR – NOBODY
    ML – Ameobi.
    SC – Perez, Mitrovic, Armstrong, Riviere, Toney.

That is quite frightening actually – ironically it would leave us probably strongest in Goal/Defence & Upfront – the opposite to now. In reality Perez, Mbemba, Tiote, De-Jong & Mitro may be in demand too! Some of the squad players could want to leave – we could end up thread-bare – hadn’t really thought about this til now and I know its unlikely.

So who’s out there to replace these guys with?

On Hughton, great guy still one of the biggest tarnishes on the Ashley Era for me. Will be nice to come up against him next season – I’m sure he will be well received in both games

• 4 Essex Geordie Bill // May 26, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Lesh
    Late reply as life intervened but it’s probably I’m getting to old to catch the bugg£rs! 🙂

• 5 davis_toons // May 26, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Leon Best…i remember you. A quality hardworking player.

• 6 Spoof // May 26, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Does Townsend actually have a clause in his contract, I believed that he did but this topic came up yesterday and as far as I am aware there is no evidence or proof of this alleged clause, can anyone clarify this, one way or the other ?

• 7 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 26, 2016 at 5:25 PM

The Mackems are crazy obsessed with us on Sky Sports comments on Facebook I would love it if we got drawn against them in the cup this season and dished out a beating !

• 8 magscar // May 26, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Whilst I see that Brighton only losing 5 games and yet missed out on promotion ( on GD) could be worrying to put it into perspective they drew a lot of games. In fact they won just over 50% of their games 24 from 46. I would hope that Rafa would be aiming for a higher % win rate than that .

• 9 magscar // May 26, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Spoof

Maybe Redknapp Snr can help us out with the clause 🙂

• 10 davis_toons // May 26, 2016 at 5:37 PM

Jonjo Shelvey- Another Obertan in the Making.

Is always mentioned with….if he can..hopefully he will…his abilities.

So similar to Obertan.

Guys, he is who he is. He can study Steven Gerrard all day long. He cant be him.
    The way he runs into the box his movement off the ball and etc. He just have abit of David Beckham in him. That about it.

Like Obertan, he cant be playing like Ben Arfa and Ben Arfa can never be like Ronaldo.

What!!! Top Wages among the players?

• 11 Griff-toon // May 26, 2016 at 5:37 PM

Cjtoon

Good post! I an also a long time reader of the blog and rarely post. But I always whant to be more active.

I have some coments to your list:

Townsend – I actually Dont think he will leave. He has takkes about his admiration for Raffa and likes playing for him.

Thauvin – Marseilles cant afford him, so hes coming back. Might be able to do a job under Rafa in the Champ.

Collo – who would want him? Might be able to do a good job in Champ. Where speed is not that important

The rest, I think you might be right. But I think some of the players might whant to be a part of this Rafa project and stay. like Aarons or Gini.

previous post: Newcastle Fans In Shock – They Can’t Believe It – It’s Fantastic