The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Fans In Shock – They Can’t Believe It – It’s Fantastic

1:43 pm, Thursday, May 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 85 Comments

It is hardly surprising that Newcastle fans today are still in some kind of shock, that we have managed to get Rafa Benitez to stay on at Newcastle, even though we are a second division side, but that should only be for one season.

In early March, things looked really bad when the squad had gone off on a week’s holiday in the south of Spain.

Head coach Steve McClaren had promised everybody who would listen to him, that he would sort things out with the team following the humiliating 5-1 defeat at Chelsea.

Jamie Carragher

Jamie Carragher – fantastic for Newcastle

Not only did our players not seem to try in that game, but they also didn’t know what they should be doing on the pitch, so confused and humiliating was that display – one of the worst of any team in the Premier League last season.

But still Steve kept his job and at any other club he would have been fired the next day.

Then after 18 days of preparation,  the next match was at Stoke City and Steve went all out for a 0-0 draw, but  was unsuccessful and we lost 1-0.

After the game Steve still insisted we were unlucky not to get a draw.

Yeah – right.

And then we were taken apart at home by newly promoted Bournemouth 3-1 on the following Saturday and that was it on Steve McClaren.

After six days in came Rafa Benitez, but Rafa had left his white horse in Liverpool.

So even Rafa couldn’t save us after McClaren had been given far too much time to turn things around, which he always said was just around the corner.

Rafa had us winning three games and drawing three in those last six games for 12 points, which turned out to be one third of our points total for the season in the last six games.

But we were still relegated.

Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher knows all about Rafa, having played for him for the full six years while Rafa was at Liverpool.

Jamie had a great game for the Reds in that famous win in the Champions League final in 2005 against AC Milan in Istanbul.

Jamie has hit the nail on the head in talking on talkSPORT today, and he points out it’s just fantastic for Newcastle that Rafa has stayed – and the fans still cannot believe it:

“It is fantastic for Newcastle United.”

“It shows the quality of the managers in the Premier League now, that someone with Rafa’s expertise and trophies won is having to go to the Championship now to get a job.”

“He could have a got a job anywhere I suppose but in terms of England now and the money in the Premier League, what he is thinking is one year in the Championship – and hopefully I can build Newcastle up to be a team competing for Champions League places.”

“I think they are all still in shock – that Rafa actually took the job on the back of Real Madrid, but he is there and I am sure he will got a great job.”

Let’s hope Jamie is right on that, the last time we qualified for the Champions League was in season 2003-2004, Sir Bobby Robson’s very last season at the club .

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Management · Premier League

85 responses so far ↓

• 1 Essex Geordie Bill // May 26, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Just missed the bus there so repost.

So do we judge Rafa on ten games, just wondering!!

• 2 Ibizatoon // May 26, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Essex…I don’t ever want to hear a manager use that phrase again.

• 3 Tsunki // May 26, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Didn’t take long for the Fat man’s chums to resurface after their considered appointment of the saviour Benitez. Don’t get me wrong I’m chuffed that sense or desperation has at last furnished us with a worthy footballing brain. But the sudden rush to plant Ashley and even his incompetent buffoon yes-man on pedestals is unseemly and unwarranted. Let them go through their trial period before crediting them with an epiphany. This is one hopeful month in a decade of dismal failure. Let’s have some perspective.

• 4 Jib // May 26, 2016 at 1:53 PM

The most up to date item on the subject

• 5 Tsunki // May 26, 2016 at 1:53 PM

…and I forgot to add, let’s also try and keep some of our dignity. Their are plenty in the football watching world who love to see the club and it’s fans falter under mishap after mishap if shambling stupidity. By suddenly gushing about our wonderful owner and his administrators in stupidity, we could be aligning ourselves with a future crash. Let it all play out a bit, be sceptical. Let them prove by their ongoing actions what they are up to.

• 6 Tsunki // May 26, 2016 at 1:56 PM

What a git that former charge of Rafas is. The quality of managers in the PL is so good Benitez is only able to get a job in the championship? What a git.

• 7 Goldmbemba // May 26, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Think back to the last time we were in the championship – who were the key players?

Nolan, Ameobi, Lovenkrands, Caroll.

No ‘superstars’ by common definition, but what this tells me is that we need a certain type of player in the championship. Someone who is:

– passionate about NUFC
    – prepared to be physical
    – a vocal presence on the pitch

I agree that we need players who are prepared to get stuck in in a tough division. Im not sure about these spanish players that we’ve been linked with. Not sure about Agger, cant remember seeing much of him. But as a former Rafa boy he could see it as an interesting project. We must be a step up from Brondby for goodness sake.

I’d be after the best championship players, to supplement what we have, which should largely be good enough to bounce back up as it is.

• 8 JP...from The Rock // May 26, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Let’s not get carried away dreaming of CL footie, we’re now in the Championship and have to get promoted first. Then can we perhaps let our imagination run wild. Personally I struggle to contain those dreams now that Raffa is here. It will be interesting to see who his first signings will be.

• 9 JP...from The Rock // May 26, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Who are The Championships best players? anybody?

• 10 Goldmbemba // May 26, 2016 at 2:11 PM

JP

Of those that didnt get promoted, there are:

McCormack
    Judge
    Bannan
    Salter
    Ayala
    Dawson

Dont recongnise half of them though :/

• 11 Toonfan8 // May 26, 2016 at 2:13 PM

we should go for Redmond, Mc Cormack and Agger….it should be enough

• 12 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 2:17 PM

How many of those mentioned have failed in the PL? I can’t see Rafa looking for stopgaps whilst thinking ahead for the following season. He’s building towards a squad capable of challenging the top six the following season, not just escaping the Championship. The best team will win the league, regardless of whether it has Championship hardened players in it or not.

• 13 clinath@ed // May 26, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Tsunki,
    That patronising paragraph annoyed me too.

• 14 clinath@ed // May 26, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Bobbybee, it’s about getting the blend right. Enough to get us out of this league, but not too many that are not good enough next season

• 15 Jib // May 26, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Alvaro Arbeloa isn’t travelling with the Real Madrid squad to Milan.
    With Rafa in charge I’m starting to get the most ridiculous fantasies.
    😀

• 16 clinath@ed // May 26, 2016 at 2:25 PM

We probably have the best players/squad in this league but, as Bobbybee says, do we have the best team?
    That’s Rafa’s job.

• 17 Ibizatoon // May 26, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Bobby…How do you ascertain who is the best team in the league? Surely a part of that is if you have players for that league?

Battling was a missing trait for much of our season. IMO, that would just get highlighted further in the Championhip.

I do note however, that under Rafa, the fight and battle was there, especially in those last 6 games.

I trust Rafa to make the right call, but am in no way simply expecting the current crop to suddenly not have the same traits we’ve seen in them for quite a while now. Some experience of the league surely has to be beneficial.

• 18 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 2:25 PM

It’s even more annoying when you say it in that horrible, grating scouse accent of his! 😉

• 19 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // May 26, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Tsunki

I agree that Ashley doesn’t deserve to be in our good books all of a sudden. Ashley has already showed us that when he gets desperate he is prepared to do the right thing. Rafa was definately forced upon him and in my opinion Rafa was signed with Ashley’s best interests, not the fans. Whether Rafa knows that I’m not sure but if us being relegated didn’t affect Ashley that much we wouldn’t be heralding him now for the signing of Benitez.

• 20 Jib // May 26, 2016 at 2:27 PM

I’m not the only one apparently

• 21 JP...from The Rock // May 26, 2016 at 2:28 PM

goldmbemba – hmmm interesting. I would add Will Hughes and Lewis Cook to that list. But tbh don’t know much about the Championship. There’s some quality players hidden in there no doubt, which have the added bonus of being used to the physicality of the English leagues.

• 22 Goldmbemba // May 26, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Id love to know what mclaren is thinking right about now. With the wrath of all those geordies on his head for bringing their club down.

Imagine if he gets a championship job next season… fireworks when they meet

• 23 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // May 26, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Gold

Apparently Steve applied for the Rotherham job and they rejected him.

• 24 Back Door Man // May 26, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Jib – thanks for those links re planning applications. The decision dates for various approvals seem to have passed … perhaps they’ve been deferred.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // May 26, 2016 at 2:32 PM

Goldmemba,
    Probably doesn’t give a fcuk with all that money he’s made from being sacked around Europe.

• 26 Back Door Man // May 26, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Wayayman – many here were calling him Manuel when he first came and well into the ‘last ten game period’ … yep, probably stereotyping him.

I chose to continue calling him that out an appreciation for the position he’s in, namely – the good, well-loved fella struggling against an ogre of a boss.

I’ll consider  your plea after deciding what to do about your glib and oily poke about Jim Davidson being my cultural inspiration.

• 27 Jail for Ashley // May 26, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Does anyone want a multiple failed manager to sit with their head in their hands week in week out then grin like a drug testeding monkey after the game.

• 28 JP...from The Rock // May 26, 2016 at 2:38 PM

JFA- lolol Thank God we got rid of that fool! ‘give me 10 games’ he said.. we game much more than 10 and look where it took us. Though I will even thank him if we keep building a fortress under Benitez and rise to the EPL with him in charge.

• 29 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 2:38 PM

The difference between the players under macca and the same lot under Rafa was chalk and cheese. They got stuck in and played for each other, showing – annoyingly – what we’d been missing. I don’t go with this ‘special’ league that only suits certain players. It’s a weaker league, containing players not generally deemed good enough for the PL. Those that are, get bought up. There is nothing special about it. The team that finished the season off, under Rafa’s guidance, would win the Championship imo. Build a strong team, one that can seemlessly step back up the following season. Let Rafa pick his players and get on with the job. The Championship will probably become PL2 sometime in the future and thete’s a damn good reason for that.

• 30 Ibizatoon // May 26, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Jib…Further to your post on the last thread.

When did they sell the land to the metro? Was it the freehold or just the lease? From what I’ve understood, it has only ever been the lease, as the freehold belonged to the council?

From what I understand they sold the lease to a joint venture company with MGM to build the super casino. As a joint venture. When that fell on it’s backside, the club re-paid the £5m fee and regained the lease.

Then in 2007, new plans were being put in place for a redevelopment, but then Ashley purchased the club.

• 31 Ron Knee // May 26, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Bobby

The present team can’t handle pressure. They hammered Spurs when the result for NUFC didn’t matter.

• 32 Essex Geordie Bill // May 26, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Will Hughes.

Tsunki
    I was just thinking about the sudden beatification of Rafa and would be happy if he did lead us into the promised land.

But after being a fanatical supporter for over sixty years I’ve seen too many false prophets to completely lose my genetical paranoia so everyone please forgive me if I express a hint of doubt.

• 33 Ibizatoon // May 26, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Ron…Whereas, when the pressure was on, we could only draw against Aston Villa.

Bobby…There certainly were improvements and the Championship is clearly an inferior league, however, I still stand by the idea that some PL players wont be suited to it. Whether it’s motivational or physical issues I’m not sure.

I do expect us to do well, of course. I just wouldn’t be against getting in one or two faces for this reason.

• 34 manxpie // May 26, 2016 at 2:45 PM

average haha Mccarthy is bonkers I was thinking more like this guy^

• 35 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Ibiza, i agree 100% we should buy new players, i just don’t see the point in buying from a league we’ve dropped into. If these players were good enough, they’d already be in the PL. There are some good young players to look at, but 29 yr olds? 30 yr olds? I might be wrong, but I can’t see Rafa going for many like that. A bit of experience is one thing we can use, but not necessarily from lower leagues – that’s where you go for up and coming players, not experience. I can see the point in Agga, but he’s not plying his trade in the Championship is he? I think he might go for players he knows and trusts, but i simply can’t see him filling the squad with what is basically an inferior product. He’s thinking big, not average.

• 36 Jib // May 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Ibiza
    You seem to be much more au fait with the situation.
    In an effort to cut through the Gordion knot of mis-information and obfuscation the simple view would seem to be that the council think that NUFC have enough of a footprint in that part of the city and are unwilling to cede or relinquish one more square foot.
    Asley would have benn better advised to keep the land as a car park and forestall any sort of building thus keeping the vista at the end of St James’ Boulevard

• 37 toon kk // May 26, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Great Rafa is staying, it may not guarantee promotion but it certainly gives us a far better chance. I’m sure he’ll attract quality players, he’ll probably want more experience in the squad.

• 38 loonie-toon // May 26, 2016 at 2:57 PM

My mate younger brother plays for derby is quite a tidy player last game a seen him play was them against Man U in one of the cups the season just gone he came threw Man U academy sir Alex chose tom cleverly over him he was also youngest ever Captin for Barnsley he’s called Jacob butterfield

• 39 Ron Knee // May 26, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Ibiza

Benitez apparently likes players with some strength of character. I think that immediately lets out some of our ‘stars’!

• 40 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Ron, they did canny well against liverpool and city too. As time progressed under Rafa, you could see the difference. Sadly he wasn’t given enough time, but the difference was there for all to see. This lot under macca would struggle, but the longer they came under Rafa’s influence, the better they looked.

• 41 Essex Geordie Bill // May 26, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Bobby
    which is why I’m less doubtful than I have been previously.

• 42 Jib // May 26, 2016 at 3:06 PM

I cannot wait to go to Burton’s nice shiny new Pirelli Stadium.
    Under 7000 capacity with only about 2000 seated.
    I wonder how many tickets we’ll be allocated ?

• 43 loonie-toon // May 26, 2016 at 3:07 PM

When’s MLS season finish mayb rafa might try cheeky loan to reunite him with Gerard lol

• 44 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Loonie toon, i’ve got mates who are derby fans and i’ve heard the name before. What position does he play? I think he’s midfield but i’m not sure. How old is he too?

• 45 Ron Knee // May 26, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Bobby

There’s no question he made an immense difference to our cringe-making defence but whether he would ever be able to get consistent performances out of Wijnaldum, for example, I’m not so sure.

• 46 Jib // May 26, 2016 at 3:08 PM

I hope Hull win on Saturday
    I love going to Sheffield for a match – they still have pork shops in Sheffield.
    I lerv saveloy dips !!!!

• 47 JAMSHA // May 26, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Sell Gufo, cisse,Rivière, saylor,Saivet and Sissoko or Gini

total we Should Get 30 mill

Get Redmond, Agger, Will Hughes, McCormack,

• 48 Mister Tuff // May 26, 2016 at 3:10 PM

We clearly need a few more players – to complete the jigsaw/re-balance a lop sided team.
    Benitez has 3 years to try and achieve something – getting additions from lower leagues for this season and then buying PL standard players will be a waste of a year.
    Better surely to get the quality players now -who could fit into the PL – if they are of the right standard/calibre they should excel in the Championship.
    This would present a relatively seamless transition next year back to the PL.
    So I think he’ll go for better quality players from the off.

• 49 Ibizatoon // May 26, 2016 at 3:11 PM

Bobby…It’s that word experience. We’re talking about hitting the ground running, I would have though a ST who knows how to score goals in the Championship would be sensible.

We’ve missed a decent experienced PL striker this season.

I do seriously question how well PL strikers would do in the lower division. Purely based on their attitude. Still, I take your point, I don’t really care what league they’ve played in, nor what nationality they are (i just threw that one in there) as long as they have the attitude and bottle for the fight ahead.

I’m not for a second suggesting we fill our squad with these types, but a few within the squad, for a cold and windy miserable night in the Championship, they can prove to be the difference.

It’s all about the right balance. I think we now have a man who knows how to achieve that balance.

Jib…Not so sure about that. Just been busy with Google. The council want money. I’d have thought there is a deal to be struck, if the desire to expand was there. It isn’t though.

• 50 loonie-toon // May 26, 2016 at 3:11 PM

He plays centre mid a fink pal he was few year below me at school so am quess ing he around 25 ish am sure last time Norwich was in EPL signed him not 100%

• 51 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Jib, we’ll be lucky to get 800 i reckon marra. That’s one game they’ll definitely sell out for. In fact, they’ll probably sell out for most games and play a nice style of football. There won’t be many walkovers, but in the end, the cream will rise to the surface. 😉

• 52 wolfshead@toon // May 26, 2016 at 3:18 PM

gold you forgot the human pitbull that is joseph barton you dont even wanna f**ck with that mack daddy haha

• 53 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Ron, i get your point about the likes of gini, but at the same time i could see him tying players in the Championship in knots! 😉 It’s all down to attitude and if Rafa thinks he can bring it out in Gini, then maybe he’s worth a punt? His quality is undeniable but his commitment has to be questioned at times. Maybe a season in the Championship might be the making of him. 😉

• 54 Ibizatoon // May 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Tuff…I’d say thats a fair appraisal. There is a line between the players we need and the players we’re going to want.

There is no reason why they can’t be the same players.

It was really the idea that as a player is PL ready, they are suitable for the Championship. That I don’t agree with, across the board anyway.

Ron…It will be interesting to see what Rafa does. Before he turned up, I’d have laughed at the idea of making Sissoko captain. Bobbys point that we can’t judge the players on McClarens time is correct.

• 55 Goldmbemba // May 26, 2016 at 3:25 PM

wolf
    yeah i think barton was a good influence off the pitch, but remember he was injured for most of the season. scored one towards the end, a free kick i think?

• 56 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Ibiza, i’m a great believer in goalscorers. It’s a knack, not something that can be taught. The future is Arma. I’ve watched him grow up and he just gets better. The way he takes his goals shows just how natural he is. He’s definitely one for the future – or even now – and he will score as many as anybody. I missed that piece in the programme. I don’t bother with programmes anymore, they don’t really appeal to me. I’d be interested in what they had to say though. 😉

• 57 Jib // May 26, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Steve McClaren has sent his CV into Anderlecht

• 58 Ibizatoon // May 26, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Bobby…TBF, I should have expected Arma to be the answer.

Can’t knock your consistency. I hope you’re right.

He doesn’t fulfill the experience part, but hopefully the goal scoring comes with ease.

• 59 Ibizatoon // May 26, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Even I received Steve’s CV. Looking for a summer job apparently.

On that note. Back to work for me.

• 60 lesh // May 26, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Essex

Why you always missing buses?

• 61 bettyswallocks // May 26, 2016 at 3:40 PM

Jib…… They do a nice pork sword too and if you’re lucky you might find a mutton dagger.

• 62 Mister Tuff // May 26, 2016 at 3:40 PM

Ibiza – how’s things – I suppose there are players who are fine in the PL but will shudder to think about playing in the Championship and may not give their all.

Did you see that Tinkerman interview last week – gist was for next season if anyone of the players spoke to him about their future elsewhere they would be out the door.
    We should ensure there is 100% commitment from anybody at the club or for any new arrivals.

• 63 Ibizatoon // May 26, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Tuff…Things are good. Getting busy over here.

Don’t disagree with the 100% commitment thing at all. For too long Ashley, and therefore everyone else, has viewed the club as nothing more than a stepping stone.

With real vision, that will hopefully change. Still some way to go and a hell of a lot of work.

Again, on that note…Bye for now.

• 64 Ibizatoon // May 26, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Sorry, how rude. Hope all is well with you too.

• 65 dok - the horrid colonial // May 26, 2016 at 3:49 PM

any truth that carver applied for everton? thats a laugh and then some…

• 66 Munster Mag // May 26, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Bobby, was only saying the exact same thing to a mate who supports a team in the championship . If the players are motivated, class will rise to the top over the course of a season. I am fully happy to sell guys like Wiji because he has shown he cant be trusted , even under Rafa, and I cant see him enjoying being hassled by some bloke in Rotherham on a Tuesday night. I don’t care which nationality they are either, The English hardness thing is laughable because it pre-supposes that other countries are soft. Check out the Spanish league guys, plenty of physical stuff there. What we need are committed , skilful pros, and yes, I want experience in there but not necessarily of the championship. The best team will win out.

• 67 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Ibiza, it can’t all be experience if you want the right balance. I’m not going on just you tube vids or second hand info, i’m going on his time in our academy and U21’s, where i was a regular visitor. His England youth performances and following avidly his progress at Coventry. Natural goalscorers are hard to find and he’s a gem. . I can’t wait to see him next season proving me right! 😉

• 68 Ketsbaia9 // May 26, 2016 at 3:55 PM

I think we need to sign Agger, Aly Cissokho, Redmond, 2 playmakers and a striker. Get rid of:

Wijnaldum
    Colback
    Saylor
    Dummet
    Haidara
    Gouffran

• 69 Munster Mag // May 26, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Bobby me old mucker, Arma will need to fit in to 4231 cos I don’t think Rafa will play him up top on his own. Arma looks well suited to 442 but Rafa wont go there I think. We’ll see. One note of caution is that apparently Brighton only lost about 5 games this season but were not promoted. We need to win games and Rafa will need to watch his famous cautiousness levels in the division. If we get the right team, we must look to win every game. Until they won the CL , a lot of Liverpool fans were irritated by his defensive approach and constant tinkering. That said, apart from Pardew for a while, I don’t think I can remember an NUFC team in my lifetime that were strong defensively except for Hughtons team in Championship, so wont that be nice?

• 70 Munster Mag // May 26, 2016 at 3:57 PM

Kets, Dummet is a decent defender and will do better at centre half if needed. Colback will be good at this level.

• 71 JamesToon // May 26, 2016 at 3:58 PM

Anyone heard anything about Fabio Pecchia reportedly leaving for Hellas Verona? Can only find one link on Twitter

• 72 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Munster, i’m pleased we’re both in agreement on that, as we are on many other matters. . The best team always comes out on top over the course of a long season. I’m not convinced about Gini either, but if Rafa is confident he can make him a better player, it might be worth a shout. Like i say, his skill is undeniable, it’s his commitment that is questionable. I’ll defer to Rafa on that point, but i wouldn’t be heartbroken if he left. Experience i’m all for, as long as they’re good enough. There’s a reason some players are deemed good Championship players and it’s generally because they’ve reached their limit there.

• 73 Ketsbaia9 // May 26, 2016 at 4:05 PM

We can cash in on Dummett and Colback. Don’t forget, we still have a good chance of winning one of the cups next seasons. The top teams in the premier league need to strengthen significantly. It has been a very poor league this year. Our relegation is embarrassing.

• 74 Ron Knee // May 26, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Munster

Burnley W26; D15; L5
    Brighton W24; D17; L5

Not a lot in it.

• 75 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Munster, Arma will fit into any formation, trust me. Compare him to Cisse. Faster, better control, better finishing, better movement better – period. Rafa played him enough times. You don’t have to be big to play the 1 in 4231. Scoring goals is enough. Arma scores loads of them.
    The brighton issue again boils down to a lack of strength in depth. Injuries cost them promotion undoubtedly, but injuries have to be taken into account. There’s an argument somewhere that could say it cost us relegation, when you look at our list. Rafa will take that into account i’m sure.

• 76 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Ron, two draws they failed to win – ouch! Costly draws! 😉

• 77 Bobbybee // May 26, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Anyway, gotta go. Cheers to all for interesting input. Later! 😉

• 78 giimps // May 26, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Hoots Brighton were unlucky in the playoffs, injuries in the matches and just before, they played the last 10 mins or so of the 1st leg with 10 men cos he’d made 3subs due to injuries …..so 4 injuries in the most important match of the season , sounds like us.
    Rafa will know this though as its a 48 game season minimum and will need a decent squad to rotate players, something Hoots was reluctant to do……..I’m still confident though and wish it was pre season now…….screw the euros, England always seem to raise expectations then disappoint……bring on the fizzy pop

• 79 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 26, 2016 at 4:21 PM

I still don’t get why many people think Dummet is expendable, defensively he is better than janmaat, for a start. You always need good utility players in the squad, and as LB/CB cover, even in the premiership, Dummet has proven himself good enough as at least an important squad player. Do not sell imo

• 80 Bambams // May 26, 2016 at 4:31 PM

I think our back four we finished the season with is good enough for the start of next. I would keep Dummet rather than Janmaat but that’s just down to attitudes.

In midfield next season I can’t see Sissoko staying…..I think he will move after the Euros. Wini the same.

Shelvey I can’t make my mind up on…looked great against us and on his debut. Just cant decide.

I hope Townsend stays and out of all of them I think he might.

In my opinion we need pace, Redmond would be good and Arma ‘could’ be the find of the season….’could’ . It’s still another step up but if we get the formation right and create the lad chances. Could Arma and Mitro work ?

Would love to see SDJ get a chance, let’s see what the lad can do. Give him a run or is he that bad ?

Anyway in Rafa I trust

• 81 cjtoon // May 26, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Hi all, haven’t posted in ages but I like how much more positive everyone is at present which is 100% ironic given the fact we were just relegated! APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE FOR HOW LONG THIS IS!

There are so many options for Rafa next season – a lot of which will depend upon who will actively want to leave. I think there are some players who will be itching to get out of the door and others who will be ‘up for the fight’ and the promising outlook on the future under rafa.

You’d have to say the squad that was relegated should be able to get a top two spot next season if nobody came In or left but there will be both comings and goings…

I expect to see the following leave:

Obertan – Already Gone.
    Marveaux – Already Gone.
    Tim Krul – 50/50 will be interest I think and he loves the club but I think may leave.
    S Taylor – Free.
    Fabricio Coloccini – Think he’ll return home – contracted til june ‘17 though.
    Daryl Janmaat – Think he’ll want to move on.
    Henri Saivet – Barely seen a blade of grass since joining can’t be happy.
    Jonjo Shelvey – Can’t imagine him wanting to be outside the premier league.
    Gini Wijnaldum – Seemingly wants to go (we should make a profit).
    Moussa Sissoko – Itching to go (Will make a very healthy profit) .
    Florian Thauvin – Looks to be heading out never to return…
    Rolando Aarons – Would love him to stay but we’re cutting it fine!
    Andros Townsend – He will be in demand and has a clause – will be a queue!
    Yoan Gouffran – times up must be tired of being out of the picture.
    Seydou Doumbia – Loan is up.
    Papiss Demba Cisse – Past his peak and I would imagine expecting to leave.

I’m not saying I want those guys to leave but I kind of expect it for one reason or another – regardless of what Rafa said about not needing to sell, if he wants to keep players – Most managers won’t keep unhappy players that want to move. Not to mention in reality there will be interest in a lot of the ones not on that list (I just feel they’re less likely to go). We have a few loans to come back in too (some may be moved on but not sure how ‘in depth’ the assessment of the full club squad will have been. I imagine a lot of our ‘squad players’ will be given pre-season to impress.

Anyway if the guys up above left I think we would still have the core of a really good squad – if the above did leave and went at their transfermarkt values (which seem lower than you’d expect) it would generate £67.5 million that’s a huge amount to rebuild the squad with the right players.

If those guys did leave it would leave us with:

GK – Elliot, Darlow, Woodman.
    DR – Mbabu, (Anita to Cover), Sterry.
    DC – Mbemba, Lascelles, Good, Satka,
    DL – Dummett (I prefer at CB), Haidara.
    DM / MC / AMC– Tiote, Anita, Colback, Bigirimana, Vuckic, De Jong.
    MR – NOBODY
    ML – Ameobi.
    SC – Perez, Mitrovic, Armstrong, Riviere, Toney.

That is quite frightening actually – ironically it would leave us probably strongest in Goal/Defence & Upfront – the opposite to now. In reality Perez, Mbemba, Tiote, De-Jong & Mitro may be in demand too! Some of the squad players could want to leave – we could end up thread-bare – hadn’t really thought about this til now and I know its unlikely.

So who’s out there to replace these guys with?

• 82 Wayayman // May 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Oh, someone’s just reminded me of Sawyers at the top of Sheilds Rd in Byker. Saveloy dip. Lush.

Aaaaanyway, Manue, sorry, Rafa has got his work cut out in the next couple of months. We need a new set of balls in the team, one player who can rouse the whole team the way Kilcline did in Keegan’s prime. Any suggestions?

• 83 Bambams // May 26, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Cjtoon

Nice post fella. I agree with what you say.

As for who we bring in….

Allegedly Rafa has a vast contact list and I would not be surprised to see a few younger Spanish players.

Think the spine will be British and seasoned players, add a little flair and pace…..

Hopefully promotion

• 84 hibbitt // May 26, 2016 at 4:46 PM

anyone know if the home grown rule applies in the championship as kets seems to want to sell all our homegrown players ???

• 85 giimps // May 26, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Ycmiu,
    I agree about Dummet, it’s no surprise that we went 6 games unbeaten with a stable left back, CB pairing with only the rb changing.
    Rafa has obviously worked his nads off drilling the defence and trusts Dummet (although there was nobody else to play there with experience when Anita went to rb)
    He is a decent defender with a bit of pace and will have a bit more freedom to get forward in the championship, certain games he may have to stay back but I reckon him and Aaron’s on the left with Andros and Anita on the right, with the discipline to overlap each other and drop back to cover each other’s runs.
    I don’t think it is a coincidence that we played our best football when the opposition wanted to win the game (Spurs)and our worst when the opposition shut up shop (villa) at least when we had a balanced squad and players in their right positions.
    I think Gini, Socks and Jaanmat will be gone ,along with possibly krull , gouffy,cisse, rivière and tiote, the only one I would keep from them is tiote but hel want his big pay day from Qatar.
    If we can keep mitrovic, Toonsend, Saivet ,Dejong -Aaron’s, colback, Perez ,shelvey and arma, as our front players and the defence we finished with and Rob Elliot and ,Darlow we have the basis of a decent squad, bring a couple of the loanees back and a couple of additions and we’re done

previous post: Pundit Not At All Shocked By Rafa Staying At Newcastle