The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Benitez Calms Any Fears At Newcastle

10:58 pm, Thursday, May 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 50 Comments

Rafa Benitez has already come in for some criticism from the national press in England, this time  it’s because he has no experience in managing in England’s lower leagues, as he takes on the challenge of getting Newcastle United promoted straight back to the Premier League next season.

But those people – the supposed experts – forget this guy has been in coaching for 30 years and 20 years of that has been as a manager – so he has massive experience in the game at all levels.

smiling Rafa Benitez

Rafa Benitez before signing on permanently at Newcastle on May 25th

This is what Rafa has said about next season:

“I know that some people will say I lack experience there, but I started in the second division in Spain.”

“My teams have played teams in the FA Cup, the Capital One Cup, so we know the league. We have seen a lot of games and we have some players who have played in the Championship before.”

“So we have information, but obviously we have to perform, and then you pundits will say, ‘Hmm…. maybe.'”

“If we win the first game then you will say we have a good team, if we lose you will say it’s because I have no experience in the Championship. But that is football.”

“I think we have enough information, enough people with experience – we will talk with them, and maybe we will bring in players with experience in the Championship.”

“The main thing is to do the right things and to work hard every single week.”

“I could say Newcastle is massive, but we have to remember that we are in the Championship and I am not stupid.”

“I could say, ‘We are this stature’ or ‘We are that’, but that will not change anything. We are where we are, and we want to be sure that next year we will be where we belong.”

“I am a football man; I am a coach and I like to coach. I have seen the evolution, the progression of our players during these weeks.”

“I am quite confident that they will do an even better job during a whole season.” “I am quite excited to see how they will do across a whole season after we have spent more time working together.”

“And I hope we will go up, of course!”

Those are really good words from Rafa and we have noticed how he always has respect for the club he is playing and for the league he is playing in.

This man takes nothing for granted and the preparation for next season should be one of the most thorough at Newcastle for some time – with Rafa keen on the detail and a good old workaholic if ever we saw one.

Hopefully, we will see Newcastle doing well from the very first game, just like we did the exact opposite last season under Steve McClaren with just 3 draws and five defeats in the first eight games.

Certainly Rafa will get 100% support from the Geordie nation who are right behind him and for the first time in a long time everybody is pulling in the same direction for Newcastle.

To get us straight back up to the Premier league.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

50 responses so far ↓

• 1 expatmag // May 26, 2016 at 11:05 PM

Welsh tosser

Your stupidity is only bettered by your ignorance.

Stick to sheep shagging

• 2 welshgeordie9 // May 26, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Is that the best you can come up with.

Ha ha ha

• 3 welshgeordie9 // May 26, 2016 at 11:12 PM

So who are you going to support tommorow night.

• 4 jimmysmith // May 26, 2016 at 11:30 PM

Australia have a coach called Ange Postecoglu, a relative unknown in outside the Asia Pacific region, but who would have been a way better appointment than McClaren, and Newcastle could have easily got him at the time Pardew left. Of course it’s a moot point now, as everything has somehow worked out, but if they had appointed him, I very much doubt we’d be remotely near the Championship. Charnley and Ashley I’m sure have never heard of him, but he is a very bright and impressive individual, so much so he is often seen on quality political discussion panels on Australian Public TV.

• 5 jimmysmith // May 26, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Australia might surprise. They play with an attacking philosophy, even though seemingly not having the players, pressing high and playing attractive, passing football with a young and pacy side.

• 6 Uncertain Toon // May 27, 2016 at 12:24 AM

It will be nice, all be it selfish when I’m certain we’ll beat teams!

• 7 bettyswallocks // May 27, 2016 at 12:27 AM

What’s the difference between a) a kangaroo and b) a kangaroot?

a) is an Antipodean marsupial
    b) is a Geordie stuck in a lift.

• 8 Uncertain Toon // May 27, 2016 at 12:34 AM

I’m certain Rafa is the man. I have been uncertain since Chris Hughton got dismissed, wrongly!

• 9 Uncertain Toon // May 27, 2016 at 12:39 AM

I was certain it would always come out in the wash, however we’re very lucky how It’s turned out.

• 10 expatmag // May 27, 2016 at 1:29 AM

Welsh tosser

I will be supporting Australia tomorrow night.

JIMMY SMITH

Keep an eye on Bailey Wright at centre back. He plays for Preston and Rafa shoukd have a look. He came through the ranks at Langwarrin here in Victoria.

I would classify Bailey on a par with Lewis Dunk.

For those who know little about Australia, Tommy Rogic who plays for Celtic, is another quality young player worth looking at.

• 11 Shadow_Shearer // May 27, 2016 at 1:38 AM

Who comes out with this rubbish benitez has no experience in the championship.

That’s like saying canelo alverez will not beat amir khan because canelo has no experience fighting a welterweight.

Benitez started his career in lower divisions in Spain, won them promotion back then. Now he’s a multiple european wining manager including champions league.
    How could he be good enough at the start of his career & not now.

• 12 willowdalerez // May 27, 2016 at 4:43 AM

Wow! Rafa’s stayed on, put me in the Shearer category of pleased as much as stunned!

Glad to hear he’s after McCormack because the man can score reliably in the championship and 12M v the very real chance of Mitro missing his chances (which he did as reliably in the prem as McCormack netted the ball in the championship last season) and Armstrong not working out (for all our high expectations he hasn’t even played championship ball yet), is not worth the risk. Immediate promotion has to be our only consideration… We can sell him on for something even at 30 if we get immediate promotion and that in itself would be worth it. Dembele would be an even better target but he’ll be tapped by a big team in the prem or on the continent so McCormack seems the obvious target.

Next is who Rafa will bring in at CB to steady the back line… Dunk but Brighton might want to a load to part with him so we’ll just see what Rafa comes out with.

I’m excited by the prospect of Rafa pulling a Huhgton but dismally disappointed by the fact I won’t be able to catch the action as the games in the championship aren’t broadcast to my knowledge… any links to any that are appreciated.

• 13 jimmysmith // May 27, 2016 at 5:20 AM

Preston are a State League club nowadays Expat. He must be quite a prospect to get the nod from there. I had a mate who was the Captain of Preston when they were an NSL club. Steve Jackson, and also a couple of other guys who I also played with who relocated to Melbourne too around the same time, that you might of heard of, Danny Wright and Alan Hunter. Hey, have you ever heard of Paul Ontong, played for Mooroolbark as a winger, then later was turned into a great fullback for Brisbane Lions. My favourite player as a lad.

• 14 jimmysmith // May 27, 2016 at 6:19 AM

Actually Expat, why don’t you try to contact the club, and see if you can encourage Rafa to take a close look. It’s only down the road. Seriously, why not? He’s probably gonna be there anyway.

• 15 Ron Knee // May 27, 2016 at 6:42 AM

The new transfer policy:

“If a player becomes available or catches Benitez’s eye who can offer something positive to the Magpies – regardless of age, position or stature – then the club will pursue them.”

• 16 Griff-toon // May 27, 2016 at 6:56 AM

Rafa Benitez is actually our manager for the next three years, with full control of any football related matters. Just let that sink inn.

Feels good to be exited again!!

• 17 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 7:04 AM

An Ozzie telling a Welshman “stick to shagging sheep”
    Ha ha ha

I never realized until a couple of days ago that Bettyswallocks isn’t a Geordie
    🙁

• 18 hibbitt // May 27, 2016 at 7:04 AM

its going to be a very interesting summer
    cant wait for Rafa to get started not just with the playing staff but the coaches he needs to be ruthless and weed out all the deadwood

• 19 lesh // May 27, 2016 at 7:18 AM

It’s nearing the Bank holiday and it’s pouring with rain here in the south east.

It’s not that we’re expecting miracles of Rafa but his help to get the sun to come out would be welcomed.

C’mon Rafa, if you’ve got a minute, fix the weather and that’d be a great start to your work with us. 😀

• 20 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 7:25 AM

Christiano Ronaldo was interviewed on Spanish TV channel La Sexta on a programme called “Jugones”
    I never realised what an arrogant dickhead he is !
    He says at one stage that Rafa Benitez tried to teach him some new stuff and the world knows that CR7 is beyond coaching.
    He also says that RB tried to encourage him to dive !
    If memory serves me right I think he knew how to dive long before Rafa joined RM.
    He also says that Benitez and the derelict Newcastle deserve each other.
    DERELICT !!!!
    I think I may be shouting for Atletico tonight.

• 21 welshgeordie9 // May 27, 2016 at 7:25 AM

Expat

Calm down sheila.

• 22 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 7:27 AM

Tomorrow night even

• 23 G // May 27, 2016 at 7:27 AM

lesh @ 19, Rafa fix the weather… on a Bank Holiday weekend? Are you sure you have visited England mate?

• 24 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 7:33 AM

Expat

• 25 Jail for Ashley // May 27, 2016 at 7:37 AM

HOW MUCH FINANCIAL BACKING WILL BENITEZ GET?

“Where we are is that our job is to work together to ensure that we have a team and a squad that when the season kicks off at the beginning of August we have given ourselves the best possible chance of getting back into the Premier League at the first opportunity.

“I think his track record as manager, what he’s achieved prior to coming to Newcastle United, the conversations I had before he came here and the conversations and relationship we have developed since he came here, I’m in no doubt this is an individual who can take us back to where we want to be.
    Anyone make sense of that?

• 26 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 7:43 AM

Jail
    It’s dead easy
    Q
    HOW MUCH FINANCIAL BACKING WILL BENITEZ GET?
    A
    I’m not saying , mind your own business

• 27 Lindisfarne // May 27, 2016 at 7:45 AM

I would hope Lee Charnleys’ famous negotiating skills can at least re-coup the same fee we bought him for, plus a youth player / squad player in exchange….I won’t be holding my breath.

• 28 Jail for Ashley // May 27, 2016 at 7:50 AM

Well Jibberish that might be an acceptable answer for a lickspittle like you but after Ashley told us the cupboards were bare he could have been a little more open. Obviously Rafa is happy with what he has been given so why avoid the question in such a long winded way.

• 29 jimmysmith // May 27, 2016 at 7:53 AM

Ha! Bailey Wright plays for that splendid and grand old football club Preston North End, not the more prosaic Aussie namesakes, formerly known as Preston Macedonia, I only now recognise.

• 30 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 7:55 AM

Jail
    When you go to buy stuff at a Thai market , do you haggle or open your wallet and say “look how many Baht I have ” ?
    Actually knowing you and your thickheaded father -in-law – it’s probably the latter.

• 31 Ron Knee // May 27, 2016 at 7:58 AM

In The Chronic poll, opinion is pretty evenly divided between keeping or selling GW.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // May 27, 2016 at 8:09 AM

Jibberish,
    I didn’t ask for a lesson in bartering just wondeing why he felt the need for such a long winded answer that completely and unnecessarily avoided the question, maybe tye man just isn’t capable of giving a straight answer after talking in code for the last two years.

• 33 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 8:10 AM

Humphrey Nijman – Wijnaldum’s agent – is touting him all over Europe .

He has mentioned Roma by name.

However West Ham have now joined the chase !

• 34 Jail for Ashley // May 27, 2016 at 8:11 AM

Ron Knee,
    It’s a double edged sword,he deserves a season in the Championship after his gutless displays of last year but is he going to be any more up for it on a Tuesday night in Nottingham than he was on a sunny afternoon in Southampton?

• 35 The overrated Frenchman // May 27, 2016 at 8:13 AM

jimmysmith – I remember Paul Ontong very well. I recall he had a brother who played there too. Might have been Geoff? Years later my son played for Mooroolbark.

• 36 jimmysmith // May 27, 2016 at 8:14 AM

I’ll try again.

F@ck that! He’s under contract. Tell the kernt he’s going nowhere.

• 37 Jail for Ashley // May 27, 2016 at 8:16 AM

Jimmy,
    It would be tempting to do that but if he really wants away then we’re better off cashing in.

• 38 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 8:17 AM

As fans we will have to get used to the Rafa way of doing transfers.

Liverpool supporting friends of mine tell me when RB was at Anfield there was very little correct speculation in the media.

They would just open the Liverpool Echo one day and bosh Benitez would have signed another player , that had never been linked , seemingly out of the blue !

• 39 Bobbybee // May 27, 2016 at 8:22 AM

Willow, Arma spent a season on loan in the league just beneath the Championship, as part of a team cobbled together from young loanies and free transfers. He played 40 games and scored 20 goals, almost helping them towards the playoffs. In a season Coventry expected to struggle, that is hardly ‘not working out’ is it? It worked out very nicely, as it goes. 😉

• 40 jimmysmith // May 27, 2016 at 8:23 AM

TOF, my memory might be betraying me, but I remember Paul Ontong as being about five foot five, looking a bit like a swarthy Leo Sayer, fast and tough as ferk, incredibly good in the challenge, up and down the flank all day, and good enough to play in Europe, but who never got the recognition he deserved.

Played at Brisbane Lions in a defence alongside Jim Hermiston, Col Bennett and Alan Niven, all great players, in front of Nigel Lowndes, or Tony Scanlon, who later became the CEO of Bundy Rum.

• 41 The overrated Frenchman // May 27, 2016 at 8:27 AM

jimmysmith – yeah that’s exactly how Paul Ontong was!

• 42 Bobbybee // May 27, 2016 at 8:31 AM

Jimmy, we’re in the perfect situation. Rafa doesn’t have to sell and players are under contract. If Rafa wants them as part of his project, then they’ll soon come round. If another club wants them that badly and they want to leave, we set the price. Won’t pay it? Do one then! No fire sale will devastate the vultures. Rafa holds all the trump cards and he knows it. 😉

• 43 hate // May 27, 2016 at 8:32 AM

I lliterally admire Rafa, being this honest and professional is nothing I’ve seen at NUFC for a long long time.

• 44 Bobbybee // May 27, 2016 at 8:36 AM

Ron, that must give Rafa the deciding vote then! 😉

• 45 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 8:37 AM

I agree with Jail
    Wijnaldum has had his opportunity in the PL
    He scored some nice goals in the first half of the season but since January with a goal each against Man U and West Ham , he has only scored against Lillestrom (big deal ) and Spurs in the last game.
    It’s fair enough if an attacking midfielder score few goals but helps the team in other ways.
    Sadly this was not the case with GW as has been totally anonymous for long stretches in games , esp away from home.
    If we are going to get midfielders to battle for the cause in the Championship and then kick on (hopefully) in the PL next season – as Jail says – better to cash in (he cost €20million remember) and get fresh faces.

• 46 jimmysmith // May 27, 2016 at 8:39 AM

Wow, I’m at the thin end of a cheap bottle of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc, and this talk of Paul Ontong and cohorts has me wallowing over the loss of my own very excellent youth, gone too soon. Bastard!

• 47 Toonfan8 // May 27, 2016 at 8:41 AM

Jib
    I can´t see the point of that, sell quality and bring championship quality…so if real madrid would play in the championship, do you think they would sell Ronaldo,Benzema and bring Mc Cormack and others, because they are better suited to that league? You don´t have to have championship players to win that league, you have to have quality….

• 48 Charlie in the Gallowgate // May 27, 2016 at 8:46 AM

Morning lads

Wijnaldum, Sissoko et-al – The agents can tout as much as they want – I don’t think they or will be going anywhere until RAFA has sorted out who he wants and does not want.

Nice touch from RAFA on wed night after he had signed the new deal to pop into the children’s/disabled supporters function to meet them!

Well done !

• 49 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 8:51 AM

Toonfan8

Ronaldo and Benzema have not failed in La Liga.

Wijnaldum was a failure in the PL (even under Rafa) so why keep him ?

• 50 Bobbybee // May 27, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Toon fan8, i can see both sides of the discussion. If i sold gini, i wouldn’t bring in a Championship player to replace him, i’d go for quality. It’s a league and the best team wins it every time. Your point about real madrid is a valid one. The majority of Championship players are there for a reason ie not good enough for the PL. A team of PL players beats a team of Championship players every time.
    However, i get jibs point as well. We don’t really want anybody in the squad unless this is where they want to be. This is a job for Rafa. If he thinks gini is integral to his plans, he needs to persuade him to stay. The whole team improved under Rafa, the longer they played for him.

previous post: Good News For Newcastle From Roy Hodgson