The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Benitez’ Infectious Enthusiasm Now In Full Cry

10:18 am, Friday, May 27th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

Rafa Benitez is the type of man who puts himself into any challenge 100%, so it’s not too surprising that he’s now really looking forward to the challenge of a 46 game season in the Championship with Newcastle next season.

There will be plenty of coaching for Rafa to do before the season ends next May when hopefully we will be a Premier League club again.

rafa benitez 876

Rafa Benitez – infectious enthusiasm for football

Rafa’s enthusiasm for the game of football is infectious and unlimited.

It doesn’t matter whether he’s managing Real Madrid in the Champions League, Liverpool in the Premier League or managing Newcastle in the Championship next season – the enthusiasm for what he’s doing never leaves him.

That’s only one reason he’s been very successful in his career in football.

This is what he has said about the new challenge ahead of him:

“A few weeks ago I was convinced that we were going to stay in the Premier League, but these things happen.”

“So that when you are in the Championship, you have to decide, and I say that I am really pleased because I can see that I will have a lot of things that I was looking for.”

“I think it will be very positive for everyone.”

“If, next year, we are in the Premier League, then we will enjoy the whole season, but we have to start doing things well from day one.”

“For example, we will do a pre-season thinking with that priority. Lee Charnley told me what do we want to do and it has to be football. The priority has to be football.”

“My relationship with him is simple and quite easy – whenever I ask about football, it’s fine.”

“His priority is to make sure that the football decisions are fine, because then it will make sure we are in the Premier League next season.”

“I am a football man. I am a coach and I like to coach.” “I have seen the evolution, the progression of our players during these weeks.”

“I am quite confident that they will do an even better job during a whole season.” “So I am quite excited to see how they will do across a whole season.”

I’m already excited about life in the Championship – at least it’s a change this season, and we should win quite a few games next season.

That’s a change too.

And then  we’ll really be ready for our assault on the Premier League in a year’s time!

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 jimmysmith // May 27, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Yay!! The Championship.

OkOk, but still.

• 2 El Sleeve // May 27, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Ed, the comments section is covered by ads, i never see the first few comments, can you sort this please, thanks

• 3 El Sleeve // May 27, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Also, does anyone know of the changes that are being implemented by El Raf? What is he doing to improve the medical department, scouting, training facilities, youth academy etc etc? anyone got any examples from Liverpool or Napoli?

• 4 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 10:29 AM

El sleeve is right – the Taboola ad isn’t sized properly for the page

• 5 hibbitt // May 27, 2016 at 10:30 AM

El Sleeve

someone on here recommended….. ad blocker plus
    it works great no more ads

• 6 Bobbybee // May 27, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Right, gonna watch the cricket so catcha later.

• 7 The overrated Frenchman // May 27, 2016 at 10:37 AM

I wonder if there is a clause in Rafa’s contract that actually says:
    “If Charnley stays he is going to be my little bitch”

• 8 clinath@ed // May 27, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Happy birthday Gazza….stay well.

• 9 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 10:48 AM

• 10 Jib // May 27, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Allardyce has admitted that when we beat Crystal Palace on 30th April he was convinced the game was up for Sunlun and they were doomed !

• 11 Blackley and Brownlie // May 27, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Speak English, Rafa. What are you saying? What is Charnley’s degree of power in footballing matters?

• 12 Blackley and Brownlie // May 27, 2016 at 10:54 AM

How pleased was Joe Joyce to boast his record to Rafa?

• 13 JP...from The Rock // May 27, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Yeah Ed I have the same problem and thought it was only me. The ads cover the first comment all the time, it’s so annoying. So sick of these stupid ads everywhere on the web, but now it’s ruining this great blog too.

On to the football; I can’t wait for Rafa to complete his first signings and ship out the deadwood. It surprises me that he has also kept his trust on Beardsley, Joyce and Watson to do their jobs. They have pretty much fkd it all up so I think they need replacing.

• 14 JP...from The Rock // May 27, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Hibbit- It works a treat on PCs but it can’t be used in tablets unfortunately.

• 15 Blofal // May 27, 2016 at 11:11 AM

I think we will sell Wijnaldum and possibly Janmaat but keep Sissoko. We will also keep Townsend and Shelvey.

We will be selling our fringe players who can’t get a game like Riviere, Saivet and Gouffran and replacing them with players proven in the championship.

Cisse will go and will probably be replaced by McCormack if the rumours are true which is a good move. Leaving us with an attack of McCormack, Armstrong, Perez, Mitrovic and Toney.

The most important thing for me is Tiote. If we hold onto him we will be fine. If we lose him we need someone just as good. A top class holding midfielder is essential to how Rafa sets up. Rafa will not be selling Tiote unless there is someone to replace him that is for sure. Our resurgence and improved defence was mainly due to Tiote and Colback huntiing down the opposition as a singe unit. Their impact I think is often overlooked.

• 16 ToonMatt // May 27, 2016 at 11:39 AM

One thing I’m looking forward to next season is Rafa having a go at the capital one and FA cup, No more going out in the first round with all that cups are not priority garbage, Happy days!

• 17 bettyswallocks // May 27, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Jib…… I am a Geordie born and bred. How dare you cast aspersions on my origin!

• 18 jimmysmith // May 27, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Rafa strikes me as a pragmatist. I doubt a cup run is on his radar. Promotion, that’s it.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // May 27, 2016 at 11:49 AM

The whole set up has had to change and it’s a breath of fresh air. Now we know that if Collocini gets picked as captain it is because Rafa wants him to be and not because he snitches on players who moan about the bonus scheme.

• 20 Jail for Ashley // May 27, 2016 at 11:52 AM

I think the natural progression for Armstrong would be to step up to a Championship club next season. That’s now us. If he doesn’t do the business next season with Rafa coaching him and players like Townsend feeding him then he isn’t going to make it. Make or break for him next season.

• 21 Ron Knee // May 27, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Pearson set for Derby job, according to the Beeb.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // May 27, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Steve Mclaren to take charge of Glipton Giants according to JfA.

• 23 Ron Knee // May 27, 2016 at 12:05 PM

Did you see that link I posted to Charmless’ interview?

• 24 clinath@ed // May 27, 2016 at 12:06 PM

that move could make Derby a threat

• 25 giimps // May 27, 2016 at 12:13 PM

What am I going to watch on the tv over the next few weeks, there’s hardly any proper footy on other than the euros, I even resorted to watching the Turkish cup last night to get my fix, along with the Toulouse tournament ….its gonna be a slow summer….cricket is shite, rugby is boring and after the euros I’m screwed ….unless I start watching women’s footy or mls or something……….I hate the summer for this but like the warm weather cos the missus don’t put the heating on as much.

• 26 Munster Mag // May 27, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Call me a worrier, but its not looking like there is going to be the type of major changes we wanted.

1. Charnley stays and Rafa praises him
    2. Carr probably stays
    3. Joyce, Beardo and all the serial under achievers safe
    4. Rafa talking about keeping his players.

Now he may have different ideas in his head, but I would be getting the guys who have let us down, or not responded to Rafa, out. That would include Wigi, Sissoko, Janmaat . Shelvey has done nothing for Rafa but I might keep him…and get rid of serial injury cases like De Jong and S Taylor. Of course Rafa will have made many decisions already but I would be very surprised if he can get a consistent tune out of wasters like Wiji , talented though he is.

• 27 JP...from The Rock // May 27, 2016 at 12:20 PM

I don’t think this can be regarded as good news;

We need a young, fast hungry striker not this guy, he’s finished now.

• 28 Yo-yo // May 27, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Rafa has a good record in cup competitions and I think it will he pretty high up in his list of priorities as it will build confidence in the team, especially if we can take a few EPL scalps, test some of his players for the following season, and reward the fans with a bit of achievement.
    I also think it will please the owner if we got to FA Cup semis fr’ instance – reflected glory and all that

• 29 Munster Mag // May 27, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Pearson at Derby ? That will make them top 3 immediately. Very very good manager in the championship. I hope Hull go up because they will be a top club down there next season too.

• 30 Ron Knee // May 27, 2016 at 12:25 PM

What Benitez says for public consumption and what he actually does behind the scenes are two different things – I hope!

• 31 JP...from The Rock // May 27, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Plus that will be less transfer money for better players. I don’t want Cisse here anymore. Wasn’t he off to China for £5m!? Please go Cisse you were excellent in your first season but your skill since has evaded you and you are nowhere near that level, not even Championship level I think.

• 32 Yo-yo // May 27, 2016 at 12:27 PM

BlaBr @11

He is well aware this is a critical relationship. It looks like he chose his words carefully to make it clear to all of us that he is in charge and Penfold’s job is to support him. Then they’ll get along just fine. Its to reassure us that Penfold, who he and we all know has f**d up big time, isn’t going to be calling the shots while he Rafa is in charge.

• 33 Munster Mag // May 27, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Jib you cheeky bollocks, of course I will be at Tallaght provided I am not away on hols or something! In fact if anyone is over we should meet up for a pint!

previous post: These Are The First Changes Rafa Will Make At Newcastle