The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Andros Townsend Hints At Staying At Newcastle

8:27 am, Saturday, May 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

Andros Townsend came on as a sub after 75 minutes in last night’s 2-1 England win over a good Australia side at the Stadium of Light and he made a few good dashing runs down the right wing in the final 15 minutes.

As soon as he came on he was booed by the Sunderland supporters and the commentator on Fox Sports, Martin Tyler, quickly explained  that was because he plays for rivals Newcastle United.

And then said but that wouldn’t be for long, with Newcastle just relegated and Andros had a £8M release clause in his contract.

andros townsend australia

Andros Townsend – in action for England last night

And that negative reaction from Sunderland fans was because Newcastle and Sunderland fans have one thing in common – they are obsessed by Newcastle.

Andros was the first Newcastle player to represent England for six years since Andy Carroll played and this is how he reacted when told about that:

“I didn’t know, but obviously I’m grateful because I owe a lot to Newcastle for getting me playing Premier League football again and getting me back in the England squad.”

“So I owe it to them, and hopefully I did Newcastle proud when I came on.”

The 24 year-old was then asked how confident he was of making the final squad of 23 for England:

“I’m not too sure.” “You’ll have to ask the manager, but listen, I got 10 to 15 minutes, I’ve done what I can, and if it’s not enough, then so be it.”

“But if it is, then I’ll be delighted.” “Obviously, the manager has named a 26-man squad, and everyone’s been fighting to make the cut.”

“Everyone’s the same and wants to be there, and luckily I’ve got to come on and stake my claim and see what happens.”

“It was fantastic news about Benitez,”  “Obviously, it’s no secret how well the manager did towards the end of last season.”

“How well he got us playing and also how he got me playing well as well and getting me back to the form I’ve shown.”

“I’m delighted he’s signed on for the next three years.”

That sounds very positive from Townsend, and he has already thanked Benitez for making him a better player.

But we still cannot be sure he will stay on to play in England’s second division, but there again the persuasive powers of Rafa Benitez are well known.

And Roy Hodgson has already said playing for Newcastle in the second division next season will not impact Townsend being picked for England – so that was good news.

Andros is definitely one of the players Rafa will want to keep on Tyneside and the two of them seem to have a fantastic relationship.

We’d be very surprised if Andros left us this summer.

What do you think?

Tags: Andros Townsend · Contracts · England News · Euro 2016 · International News · Newcastle News

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 expatmag // May 28, 2016 at 8:34 AM

There is no indication at all. Players are fickle and will do or say whstever if it means furthering their careers.

• 2 Munster Mag // May 28, 2016 at 8:35 AM

Stupid mackem bastards.

• 3 jimmysmith // May 28, 2016 at 8:46 AM

Players are heavily influenced by the quality of the manager, the money, and of course how much they feel wanted. Newcastle also have the crowd and the ground, making it a great place to play football. If one of the senior sides came in and matched his wages, he might be tempted, but he would know he would struggle to get regular football, and he’s only recently coming off being marginalised at Spurs. He must think we are also odds on to come straight back, and Benitez will be all over him regarding his vision for us. I think he’s most likely to stay, along with the majority of our better players, for the same reasons.

• 4 sing in the corner // May 28, 2016 at 8:49 AM

Andros choosing his words very carefully there. His options are open, no problem with him keeping them so. I didn’t believe we would get Rafa to come, then I didn’t believe deep down he would stay after R day. So anything can happen! There’s a chance and hopefully he will buy into Rafa’s plan.

• 5 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 28, 2016 at 8:53 AM

I see there has been plenty of pulling England to bits again. Honestly, it does not matter who the manager is, and which players he picks, it’s never right. If we play a freindly and win, then “it’s just a freindly, it doesn’t count”, but if we lose one then “England are going to get pulled to bits in the euros”.

We won every qualifying game, and beat Germany (outplayed them imo) in a freindly. We have played two experimental games (and won them despite the disjointed nature) so that Roy cand trim the squad, and we will see the proper team start v portugal. Our defence is the poorest part of the team, but there is NOBODY out there to come in (appart from Terry who we all know isn’t getting picked) I think our young side will surprise a few doubters for once

• 6 Jib // May 28, 2016 at 8:56 AM

It occurs to me with Wijnaldum and Sissoko thinking about heading for Italy to Roma and Inter respectively – rather than looking for big fees – both clubs have big squads with some cracking young South Americans in them .
    We should be looking to trade.
    For example Inter have Jeison Murrillo a young Colombian Centre back who was CopaAmerica young player of the tournament last year.
    He is only on £750,000 pa
    We let Inter have David Santon that must give us some brownie points

• 7 Slank // May 28, 2016 at 9:00 AM

‘…reference to Coaching, Luuk de Jong scored for the Netherlands. Just showing up the quality of coaching nufc have been suffering….’

I would substitute ‘suffering’ with ‘lacking’.

Your comments are the reason I’m not, like some others’ keen to get rid of Sissoko and Wijnaldum. We could easily sell them. The reason being is that they are very good and other clubs / managers know this.

I remember the hullabaloo from many fans wanting the club to dump Luuk de Jong and get his brother Siem de Jong. One has since thrived and the other hasn’t for different reasons perhaps but both have had the same experience at NUFC.

They say that players don’t lose their skills just their confidence. I would also add that they are very often poorly coached.

• 8 cyprus // May 28, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Funny game this football. So many fans were against us signing our one international, calling him a headless chicken, preferring Obertan and much worse. On the other hand, shelvey was praised so much that there was no way his Highness would sign for us losers.

How fortunes have changed. Shelvey may, or may not find his level in the championship…

• 9 Jail for Ashley // May 28, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Hopefully they’ll have just prevented any future games being played at their shitty little stadium.

• 10 AndyMac // May 28, 2016 at 9:08 PM

I’ve read its a £13m exit clause surely even Fatman wouldnt be that stupid ?

previous post: More Good News From Newcastle