Good News From Goalkeeper Rob Elliot

Rob Elliot didn’t just play great for us last season, when he came into the side for the injured Tom Krul and was our Player of the Season but he’s also a brave lad and a leader.

Rob’s had that dodgy thigh of his that was always threatening to go and he would be out of action for months.

But the good news today is while he is recovering from the terrible ACL knee injury he picked up playing for Ireland in a friendly game in late March, he finally had surgery yesterday that will fully repair the injured tendon in his thigh.

rob elliot save from lamela

Rob Elliot saving from Erik Lamella at Tottenham last December

• BandB

May 29, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Repost

I do have some frisson of satisfaction with BDM’s choice of targets.
    But I do promise not to abrogate any efforts to fight back with post-ironic attempts at contumelious condescension designed to make me look smart.

• Jail for Ashley

May 29, 2016 at 7:22 PM

Was great all season but he’s never had an injury free run in the team, I think now that he should be the one sold with our wealth of keepers on the books.

• Jail for Ashley

May 29, 2016 at 7:24 PM

BandB,
    Blog historians first time posters make me smell a rat!

• Bobbybee

May 29, 2016 at 7:24 PM

BandB, ha ha! You’ve given yourself away. You ARE the infamous BDM!! 😉

• BandB

May 29, 2016 at 7:25 PM

I’m inured to the smell of rat on here, Jail for Ashley.

• Jail for Ashley

May 29, 2016 at 7:25 PM

BandB,
    Would you have Carrick or Gerrard as your captain for a season in the Championship?

• Jail for Ashley

May 29, 2016 at 7:46 PM

People keep mentioning Ivan Toney as a striker for us next season but he’s hardly scored any goals, surely he should either be playing in our new revamped development squad or loaned out again.

• Jib

May 29, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Jail
    You are such a pretend footy fan it’s embarassing
    Carrick hates NUFC – he grew up as a Spurs fan and signed for West Ham as a kid !
    Gerrard and Benitez cordially detested each other !
    You attend the occasional game at SJP and think it makes you a superfan – please do one and do what you know best and stick to cleaning lavvies on the oil rigs.

• andrew84

May 29, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Didn’t realise signing for West Ham as a youngster makes you detest your home town club by default.

Didn’t Alan Shearer start off at Southampton?

• Jib

May 29, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Andrew
    He doesn’t by default
    But his dad has said many times NUFC would be the last club his little boy would sign for !

• Bobbybee

May 29, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Why bother with silly things like facts, when it’s much easier to blame Ashley. 😉

• Jail for Ashley

May 29, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Jib,
    Let’s bicker or debate, whichever way you see it!
    “Manchester United and England star Michael Carrick was a boyhood Newcastle United fan but, like Alan Shearer, turned the Magpies down”
    From the Chronicle
    Why say I’m a footy know nowt, is there any need to say it?

• Jail for Ashley

May 29, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Yes Bobby why bother with facts when they don’t suit your argument 😉

• jimmysmith

May 29, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Didn’t Carrick sign for West Ham because of their excellent youth set up, at the time Keegan was scrapping the reserves.

He is a fan, but you get the impression his Da has developed some misgivings about the owner.

• Jib

May 29, 2016 at 8:09 PM

I don’t really care what the Chronic says – one of my sons was in the same class as MC at Burnside and Carrick was not a NUFC supporter !

They both had a spell at WBC and Carrick just wanted to leave Wallsend and go South !

• martoon

May 29, 2016 at 8:11 PM

From last topic Welsh – I’m absolutely sure that BDM is not John Tudor. Tudor used to write semi-illiterate one liners which is the complete opposite of BDM.
    Bobbybee – an alter ego of BandB – interesting theory!

• Bobbybee

May 29, 2016 at 8:11 PM

The facts remain the same. Carrick won’t sign for newcastle regardless of who’s to blame. For whatever reason, he said he wouldn’t sign for newcastle. Can’t actually recall him mentioning Ashley by name as the reason, just people surmising. But, for arguments sake, let’s blame wicked Ashley. Same result. He still ain’t coming. 😉 wow, such hard work!

• jimmysmith

May 29, 2016 at 8:19 PM

It’s not out of the question. Right manager, right money, he quite possibly would come. Players tend to think that way.

• Bobbybee

May 29, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Jimmy, don’t you think he’s yesterdays man? Rafa has a plan to get us into the PL and fighting for trophies. Do we NEED Carrick? Not imo. Is he worth the wages at his age? He’d want a long contract on big money. There are better, younger options. It would be an expensive backwards step and Rafa doesn’t do sentimentality. I would be amazed if he was even in Rafa’s thoughts.

• simon376

May 29, 2016 at 8:42 PM

1st time I’ve posted in years, but read every day. I admit I’m going back to 2007 now, but was over in Manchester flying off on holiday and looking for long stay car park that I had booked and got lost, pulled into a garage and there was Michael Carrick buying some milk on way to training, he directed me to the car park. I said why are you not playing for us back in Newcastle, his response was would have loved to, but they never wanted me. I then said shame as we really could do with you, but suppose you have done alright, he laughed and said if only, maybe one day then enjoy your holiday. Maybe he was just being nice and saying hello to somebody from his home, but who knows for sure. If the possibility was there, I would jump at the chance of him and Gerrard to come in and take us from Championship to Premier League then maybe a season there for one or both of them with a possible extension. Give them coaching roles as well. Would love it, but probs only be a dream.

• Bobbybee

May 29, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Simon, don’t you think Gerrard’s last season at Liverpool exposed him quite a lot? Caught on the ball time after time. A year away playing in an inferior league won’t have improved him any either. Gerrard three seasons ago might have been worth it. I would be amazed if either are in Rafa’s thoughts. We’re moving forward under the Rafalution. He’s looking to build for the future, not fill us full of has beens. I certainly hope so anyway. Both great players in their time and Carrick is still useful, but not what i hope is the way forward.

• simon376

May 29, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Bobby, I do know what you mean, but think for a season in this division, he would do well, be nice to see sombody like him and Shelvy, tho Carrick would be good as well. Also think having him or both as player coaches would be good for the team and younger players. Not for the long term, but to help us get up 1st time of asking I think be very useful, after that, think would only be used every few games, but be good for the squad

• JamesToon

May 29, 2016 at 9:02 PM

I don’t think there’d be any harm in bringing Gerrard here, we’ve been crying out for some experience and leadership, why not him?

• JamesToon

May 29, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Still got a good pass and shot and maybe Rafa can convert him into a holding sort of pivot midfielder

• JamesToon

May 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM

I’d take Carrick as well

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Can’t see the fuss over Carrick, I’d rather see fresh legs coming into the side or at a push bring back Milner if that was a goer.
    But Gerrard waste of pitch time now and I couldn’t see him beefing up the locker room morale.
    We don’t need over the hill players.

• martoon

May 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM

I have to agree with Bobbybee we should be looking forward and getting players for the long term. I also think people forget we are in the Championship – why would Carrick leave the Premiership and if Gerrard was tempted back surely it would be for one last hurrah in the Premiership?

• Bobbybee

May 29, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Simon, he’s on 100g a week mate, and he’d want a longer contract than 12 months. Anyway, he said he doesn’t want to play for us publicly enough times. Whether he means Ashley, not Newcastle, as some claim, then as Ashley’s still here the point becomes moot. No he’s not for me, but it’s all about opinions. I’m pretty sure Rafa has players in mind that may astound us. By pretty sure, i really mean hope. 😉 This is Rafa’s new project and he has the pulling power to bring good players on board, if he sells them his vision. Selling that vision to Ashley persuaded him to hand over power. Itvmust be a nice vision eh? 😉

• Jail for Ashley

May 29, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Anyway, I’d love to see Carrick here in the Championship with all his experience and leadership at his boyhood club.

• simon376

May 29, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Yeah Bobby,know you are right, just something I’d love to see. But I know I’ll be happy with whoever Rafa brings in, he is the one who really knows his stuff

• welshgeordie9

May 29, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Anyone watching the Tony Bellow fight that’s coming up in a few minutes, hopefully it will be a cracker.

• Belfast

May 29, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Back door man John Tudor haha.

The funniest thing I’ve read on here in a long long time.

Don’t give up yer day job Welshie.

• welshgeordie9

May 29, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Bellew i meant, sorry tony.

Ha ha ha

• Bobbybee

May 29, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Simon, more than all of us put together. 😉 He’s got a plan and permission to go for it. No fire sale. Money to spend. 50k Geordies backing him vocally. Strap yourself in and get ready for blast off. This could a very interesting ride. 😉

• Bobbybee

May 29, 2016 at 9:41 PM

Sheet, yeah, bellew fight. Cheers. Laters! 😉

• welshgeordie9

May 29, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Belfast

I try my best to entertain.

• bettyswallocks

May 29, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Welshie…… You must be gutted about Bale. You had a real chance of doing well with him playing.

• jimmysmith

May 29, 2016 at 9:49 PM

I think couple of quality old heads, and a few top young players with an eye on a quick return would seem to be the way to go. He is yesterdays man, but still a very good player and our concern is this season and the next, so he could be in the frame. Wages are the thing that make it most unlikely, but yeah at his age, and with his more cultured game, would he suit the hurley burley of the Championship anyway. It’s all just harmless speculation.

I think Alonso is the dream big name signing, but that really is pie in the sky stuff.

• welshgeordie9

May 29, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Betty

Worry about your own team, there’s a good girl.

• bettyswallocks

May 29, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Welsh….. I’m not worried I just thought of you when I heard he’s pulled out.