The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Unlikely To Be Able To Sign Ross McCormack

9:07 am, Sunday, May 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

Fulham striker Ross McCormack has said it his ambition to play in the English Premier League, so that could make it difficult for Rafa Benitez to sign the 29 year-old Scottish striker this summer, a striker we have been linked with over the last couple of weeks.

There are two major areas of the team that new manager has to fix for next season – one is up front where we have difficulty scoring goals and the other is in defense, particularly in central defense,  where we have difficulty stopping the goals.

ross mccormack

Ross McCormack – Fulham striker

Ross is a prolific goalscorer and in the two years he’s been at Fulham since leaving Leeds United,  he’s scored 42 goals and has 22 assists in 100 games for the Craven Cottage club, who only just survived relegation last season.

This is what McCormack has told The Scottish Sun.

“I want to be playing in the Premiership,” “I never, ever think to myself I should be playing in the Premiership because there are so many good players playing there.”

“You’re a little bit envious because they’re playing against the best players in the world and I’m a tier below them.”

“It’s been something in my mind as the years have gone by. I will be 30 in August so time’s running out.”

“I don’t know if I’ll ever get that opportunity but it’s something that I’d love to do.”

That may come as bad news for Newcastle, because Ross will not want to waste a season down in the Championship with  Newcastle before he can start playing in the Premier League.

From those comments it seems like Ross would rather move immediately to a Premier League club this summer.

Ross is said to have a £12M release clause in his contract and given all the big money the PL clubs will be getting in the upcoming financial year – £12M is not a lot to pay for a good goalscorer.

Each PL club will get anything from £100M to £180M next May as part of the new £5.1B TV rights deal the Premier League has negotiated.

The current deal that ends at the end of June had PL clubs receiving from £60M to £100M from the TV rights deal of the last three years.

Newcastle will get £2.5M from the Championship next May but we are also due a parachute payment in the first year of about £36M.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // May 29, 2016 at 9:11 AM

This would be Popular Culture studies, then?

• 2 firebug666 // May 29, 2016 at 9:17 AM

There will be plenty of other strikers available, and £12m for a lad who will be 30 when the season kicks off sounds like a lot of money.

Forget McCormack and move on, we need a younger model who will cut it in both leagues.

Anyway I fancy the likes of Perez and Mitrovic will bang them in for us in this league.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // May 29, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Maybe a Watford, WBA or even the mackems might come in for him but I doubt it, his best way for PL footy is to bang 25 in for us and see if he cuts the mustard when he gets there. I don’t think 12M represents good value for a PL club but 12M if he gets you promoted is absolute peanuts.

• 4 Jib // May 29, 2016 at 9:18 AM

I think it’s you (the Taboola advert cuts off the 1st comment on my device )
    People don’t tend to say “I read History at university 30 years ago”; once they’ve got the degree, they’re more likely to say “I studied History at university 30 years ago”.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // May 29, 2016 at 9:26 AM

Firebug, Ron,
    What do we do with Riverie and Gouffran, at least Cisse is a proven ST who might get an offer elsewhere. Nobody is going to offer the other two 25/40K a week to tempt them to leave. It’s obviously been discussed in the negotiations on some of the deadwood so it will be very interesting to see what happens. Like I said I think it’s going to be the most interesting close season since Shearer was signed.

• 6 Ron Knee // May 29, 2016 at 9:27 AM

I don’t know where you get that extraordinary idea from. Of course you can say I “read” X at university.

So, anyway, did you “study” History?

• 7 G // May 29, 2016 at 9:29 AM

To be honest, I think the lad is at his level, for 12m we could do a lot better than a lad who is heading past his best years.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // May 29, 2016 at 9:38 AM

Ron Knee,
    Jib read The secret life of Walter Mitty which was to be a huge influence on his life. Thirty years later he’d say he studied The secret life of Walter Mitty.

• 9 Harley // May 29, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Your question on last article. Not a chance on here mate.

My feeling is if we want McCormack we get him. There’s no way he’d turn us down. But I’m not so sure he’s an actual target.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // May 29, 2016 at 9:43 AM

That Jordan Rhodes has got great goal scoring stats, even at Middlesbrough where they trail off he’s still got a one in three ratio. Did anyone follow him while at boro and how did he do.

• 11 Ron Knee // May 29, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Having watched the play-offs yesterday, I think a team like Sheffield Wed would have no problem snuffing out any ‘fret’ from Rivière & Gouffran!

• 12 expatmag // May 29, 2016 at 9:48 AM

scored a few goals but not one at the Rivrrside

• 13 Jib // May 29, 2016 at 9:48 AM

We need some sense of perspective here !
    People have it the wrong way round – because Troy Deeney coped with PL doesn’t mean the two Leagues are the same.

Shola “freakin” Ameobi looked the bizz in the Championship as did an ageing ex SPL Dane – Peter Lovenkrands.

In more recent times Patrick Bamford scored freely at Derby and Boro however as soon as he went into the PL he dried up with Norwich and Palace.

I have little doubt that any of our strikers would terrorize the 2nd tier

• 14 hibbitt // May 29, 2016 at 9:49 AM

think McCormack or his agent is just fishing !!

• 15 expatmag // May 29, 2016 at 9:51 AM

We can only hope

On McCormack, I doubt he us ecen a target and uf he were, we would have to move several out first.

• 16 WLtoon // May 29, 2016 at 9:52 AM

I wpuld keep the strikers we,ve got for this lge and concentrate on other positions.
    i think Mitro ,Cisse and Perez will be far more effective in the championship.and with the imclusion of Armstromg. i think there will be more than enough goal threat.
    If Townsend stays , and Aarons stays fut,presuming he stays, we have 2 of the best attacking midfielders in the lge. and also 2 players who can also get a goal.
    i think Lewis Dunkwould be a great addition to the defence. a good RB and an attacking CM player will be enough to get us up, wether Sissoko and Wijnaldum leave or not.

• 17 The next Mike Williamson // May 29, 2016 at 9:55 AM

mitrovic will score for fun, but I’ve a feeling rafa might opt for a striker in the torres/ baros mould. he even seemed to prefer cisse. armstrong could be that guy in my eyes. he’s fast enough.

• 18 banjax // May 29, 2016 at 10:12 AM

£12m release clause for McCormack Hmmm – sorry no chance from my point of view. This is really a non story because there are players available on loan as well as Premier League players who are available for less money. Whilst it’s great to speculate I reckon if we keep most of our squad with a few additions, that should be enough to see us back in the Premiership.

• 19 Carr Toon // May 29, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Why are we wasting 12 million for a Championship player? Instead double the wages of Wijnaldum for this championship season……Gini is on 60K per week which will be 3.12 million per year…….give him another 3.12 million for playing in championship and distribute remaining available money among Mbemba, Ayoze, Mitro, Townsend and Sissokho as bonus for playing in Championship.
    I genuinely believe that Gini, Ayoze and Mitro (plus we have Armstrong who can bang in few more) can score enough goals to secure promotion

previous post: Benitez Has His First Big Challenge For Next Season