The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

These Are Strange Comments From Gini Wijnaldum

8:27 am, Monday, May 30th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

Gini Wijnaldum was excellent for us in the first part of last season through the end of last year, but then we went off and failed to score any goals for us until the final day of the season against Tottenham, when we had already been relegated.

What was also true about Gini is that he was a much better player at St. James’ Park than he was away from home, when he often disappeared in games.

There was mounting criticism of Wijnaldum and some other of our better players as the season came to an end after we had beaten Tottenham 2-1 at White Hart Lane but then went 10 games on the road  losing every one of them.

Then we managed a 2-2 draw at Liverpool on 22 April when we came back from 2-0 down at half time.

gini wijnaldum scores poenalty

Gini Wijnaldum after scoring penalty against Tottenham

That was over four months without a win away from home.

In those games, which basically had us relegated, we didn’t see much fight from Gini or some of our other better players – like Moussa Sissoko –  and Rafa Benitez dropped the Dutch International after the Southampton debacle.

So his comments in the Chronicle today seem just a little strange – since he says he’s upset and devastated by relegation.

Gini was asked if he would be staying at Newcastle:

“It’s something I can’t think about.” “All I can say is I’m devastated that we are out of the Premier League.”

“It’s hurt me a lot.” “First that feeling must go away and then I will see how I feel.” “It was devastating.”

“Unfortunately my 11 goals did not help the club stay in the Premier League so I am upset about it.”

“I don’t know how long it will take to get over.” “I will take my time to get over it.” “Time will tell.”

“It is always a good experience to work with a new manager because every manager is different.”

“I will see how it is. “I can’t think for other players, only for myself “I don’t think about the future yet.

“I am sad we are relegated and that’s the only thing on my mind right now.”

If Gini had turned up for those games on the road and maybe scored some goals away from home, then maybe we wouldn’t have been relegated and he wouldn’t be so devastated?

That criticism is not just directed at Gini, but other Newcastle players too, who showed no fight and that is now worrying because we are in the much tougher Championship.

But we are down now – it’s water under the Tyne Bridge – and the lads must prepare for a long season ahead and get to grips with playing away from home at some much smaller stadiums they will not be used to.

It will take guts and character to get promoted straight back up, and that’s something that was missing from too many of our players last season.

But hey, if we can do that we will be a much better team and likely be a Premier League club again next year at this time – and that’s with or without Gini Wijnaldum.

That’s our only goal now – to get promoted at the very first attempt – and continue to become a much better team and a much better club under Rafa Benitez.

That’s the positive side of all of this.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // May 30, 2016 at 8:32 AM

Those comments from Wijnaldum were made pretty much straight after the Spurs game, Rafa hadn’t confirmed he was staying then !

• 2 Tsunki // May 30, 2016 at 8:34 AM

So long, Gini and thanks for all the non-committal appearances.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // May 30, 2016 at 8:37 AM

I won’t be sorry to see him go

• 4 lochinvar // May 30, 2016 at 8:42 AM

Why doesn’t Gini go online to

• 5 Jib // May 30, 2016 at 8:44 AM

Even though Roma are chasing him hard and Dutch players tend to excel in Serie A – I think Rafa will hesitate getting rid of a 25 year old player with such obvious potential and may persuade him to stay !

• 6 The overrated Frenchman // May 30, 2016 at 8:48 AM

He obviously wants to go, and that would be the best thing all round. If we can get back the best part of what he cost us that’s a good result. He won’t want any part of the blood and guts of the Championship and despite the goals he scored he’s not a worthwhile Premiership player. Typical Carr signing, lightweight and lacking fighting qualities. Won’t be missed.

• 7 Lindisfarne // May 30, 2016 at 8:49 AM

I hope who stays and who goes is decided by the manager rather than agents. We need to increase the number of experienced players in the squad that are able to create a team with purpose and poise. If Rafa can get two players that match that criteria for one existing player that contributed to our relegation, then so be it.

• 8 Munster Mag // May 30, 2016 at 8:51 AM

If these comments were made before rafa signed up they make more sense. I hope rafa sells him pronto because he had little effect on wiji in terms of motivation. Sell him and another bunch with him. We need players though as this will be a slog

• 9 The overrated Frenchman // May 30, 2016 at 8:52 AM

I think it’s going to be a different landscape under Rafa. The cosy arrangements that Charnley and Carr had in place with their preferred agents are going to be a thing of the past.

• 10 rush_nufc // May 30, 2016 at 8:53 AM

We dont want someone who keeps his options open. We want someone who has only one option that is to get nufc back to where it belongs. Gini scored 6 of his 11 goals in 2 games and in rest matches he just scored 5 goals and not a single away goal. He was one of the main reason we got relegated. He should take the blame and not blabber that i scored 11 goals and sucked my own d@@@. COME out and Join The Rafalution else he will regret.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // May 30, 2016 at 8:56 AM

If he stays then it’s because Rafa sees something in him and has persuaded him to stay but if he doesn’t I don’t think he’ll be missed by too many.

• 12 Munster Mag // May 30, 2016 at 8:57 AM

Well put lindis and frenchie. We need to start moving in the transfer market before long. priority has to be the spine starting with a centre half to take over from mbemba as number one in central defence. We may see nobody in central midfield though as rafa likes tiote. Much depends on what he makes of shelvey as a player

• 13 Munster Mag // May 30, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Jail i think rafa is fooling himself if he thinks he can motivate wiji. In fact i’m concerned that there seems so much reconciliation in the club and not enough trapdoors being opened for undetachievers at every level. We hoped for the chop for carr charnley beardo Watson wiji etc but it seems rafa wants them all here. His first mistake i think

• 14 giimps // May 30, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Not one for lighting tinder boxes normally but maybe the reason he wasn’t doing it away from home is that he was being played out of position, combined with the lack of forward momentum when we had the ball and virtually zero confidence in the defence.
    Mcwally never had the benefit of Tiote and a left back ( therefore the shape of the squad was all over the place) and couldn’t get a tune out of their replacements, I reckon that ginis not as bad a player as seems and 11 goals in your first season in a new league and a new country from midfield is pretty good (considering he was the highest goal scorer in the team).
    I don’t see why if he does go, he shouldn’t command a bigger fee than the one we paid for him, he’s a goal scoring midfielder that is young and proven, I’m hoping if he goes he should bring in £18m , if he stays he will be even better with the quality difference in the championship and can see him getting 20goals to help us back up.
    Confidence will be sky high and after a few games more unbeaten will be even higher, we will need the likes of him to unlock defences when they’re sitting deep , but we need pace in and around him and whoever is up top (Mitro ,Armstrong ,Perez or dejong.
    I would keep him but if he wants to go….hold out for a fair price for a goal scoring premier league midfielder,

• 15 Jib // May 30, 2016 at 9:10 AM

No one can start moving in the transfer market until 4 weeks next Friday !

• 16 Jail for Ashley // May 30, 2016 at 9:10 AM

I’m very surprised and disappointed that he’s not putting his own staff in charge of the U18′ and 21’see. Maybe they’ve been given a chanice to improve results alongside his coaches?

• 17 ToonTiger // May 30, 2016 at 11:20 AM

I’ll be surprised if Gini and Moussa are here when Championship kicks off.

• 18 nufc 11 // May 30, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Just becoz you are a Character dosent meant you have Character Gini our whole team was bullied for their lunch money all season you have to street fight sometimes for a living, our clowns emptied their pockets and ran every time. God help this lot in the Championship.

• 19 mactoon // May 30, 2016 at 3:44 PM

If he isn’t up for the season in the Championship I would gladly send him out on loan for a season as I recon Rafa could get the best out of him when we get back to the Premiership

previous post: Good News From Goalkeeper Rob Elliot

next post: Who Are The Favorites To Be Promoted From Championship?