The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez’ Views On Players Starting To Manifest

4:19 pm, Tuesday, May 31st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 52 Comments

It would be a very good time for Fabricio Coloccini to leave Newcastle after eight years on Tyneside, and it looks like that will now happen with Colo saying in an interview in Argentina that he would like to return to San Lorenzo – the club Pope Francis supports.

It was also the club Colo was on loan at from 2000-2001 while he was on Milan’s books.

Colo joined us from Deportivo for around £10.4M in 2008 and he has twice been our Player of the Season, but his form has not been too good over the last two seasons and it was a mistake by Steve McClaren to give him a year’s extension last summer.

Fabricio Coloccini +Newcastle+United+v+Aston+rbJZSv5zDdbl

Fabricio Coloccini – the last goal he scored – against Aston Villa

We also have to think that Rafa has probably had a word with Colo, and the former Real Madrid manager doesn’t see him as part  of  his big future plans for Newcastle.

Colo’s family has been in Argentina for over three years now and the first time he wanted to move to San Lorenzo was three years last January.

This is what the 34-year-old has said:

“I want to return to Argentine soccer, the priority is San Lorenzo because I’m a fan. I would like to fulfil the dream of entering the pitch with my kids and retire there.”

“When I wanted to go back a few years ago it did not depend 100%  on me.” “This time is also complicated because I have one more year of my contract there, but I want to leave.”

“I enjoyed the years I was away, but the truth is I’m thinking about going back. My children are here in Argentina and I miss them a lot.”

“That is one of the main reasons why I want to go back, to enjoy them.”

We’d be very surprised if Colo isn’t moved out in the summer and he has played 263 times for Newcastle with 7 goals.

It also gets off the books Colo’s high wages of £65K/week.

We should also here the news this week that another long term center-back at Newcastle – 30 year-old local lad Steven Taylor – will also be moving on as his contract will not be renewed when it runs out at the end of June.

That leaves the way open for one or two center-backs to come in over the summer months to strengthen our defense.

Maybe former Liverpool star – 31 year-old free agent Daniel Agger – could be one of them?

Tags: Coaching · Contracts · Fabricio Coloccini · Newcastle News · Steven Taylor

52 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 4:25 PM

This latest declaration of love for the club he played at in 2001 hasn’t been universally reciprocated by their fans though, especially those witnessing his fading powers via Premier League matches on TV:

“Stay in Newcastle and eat fish & chips” is probably our favourite response from them so far….

• 2 dok - the horrid colonial // May 31, 2016 at 4:26 PM

thanks for hiding for the derbies.. best of luck over there… goodbye…

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // May 31, 2016 at 4:26 PM

I think that is a little unfair on Henderson. He is far from top level, but he is an above average player, and if on form deserves to be in the shake up for an England squad. He has had a disrupted season, but under both Rogers and Klopp has played a key part, if uncelebrated in the team when he has been fit.

Wilshere on the other hand is a talented guy who has had too many injury problems and off field incidents which have held him back.

Drinkwater has had a fantastic season and has been key in Leicester’s success. One of these two should have been omitted for him.

• 4 Keith in France // May 31, 2016 at 4:27 PM

If he wants to go back so badly why doesn’t he buy out the one year left on his contract ?

• 5 Bobbybee // May 31, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Lil, we might have to agree to disagree on Henderson then, but as you rightly say, Drinkwater should be going as he’s the player bang in form. I do like Wilshire myself, but his injury record makes him a massive risk. Noble at West Ham is unlucky not to go as well imo. Which of course makes Roy’s job impossible, because we all have differing opinions. 😉

• 6 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Just replying to your comment on the past article( havent been able to get a signal)…

To me, the choice should have been Sturridge OR rashford, rather than sacrificing a winger for cover for an injury prone foward. In my oppinion, if he is that worried over sturridges condition, he should have just selected Townsend and stuck with kane, vardy, rashford and then rooney and stirling can also play as forwards. That would have been enough, i reckon.

• 7 Bobbybee // May 31, 2016 at 4:43 PM

It’s clear that Collo’s time with us is up, but he has been a good servant to us over the years. I don’t get where this hatred for the guy comes from. This is the same player who won the poll on here twice as best player of the season after all. You simply can’t blame the player who gets picked for turning out. Willo got the same stick, but you need to look more at the people who kept picking him. The fact that he was the best we had is hardly his fault. Personally I’d rather say ‘thanks for the service Collo, good luck in the future’. Totally painless.
    Right, my driving services are required, so be back later.

• 8 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Yeah that pesky one year extension on his contract really did complicate things. I bet all he got out of it was a load of money.

• 9 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Bobby, it takes years to make a reputation, but only a couple of Argentinian holidays, a bit of skiving and no communication to tear it down.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 4:47 PM

It would have been nice to have a Toon player at a tournament mind, bit gutted for him to be honest. Hopefully with the Rafa lotion we’ll see a few more in the future.

• 11 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 31, 2016 at 4:49 PM

The same issue as before then Colo you are under contract so if someone cant pay a fee for you then you would have to pay it out of your own pocket…..

Or will he just sit tight and pretend to be injured again for a season to collect another couple of million

• 12 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 4:50 PM

His couple of good seasons have been outdone by his antics, that sending off against Everton was an absolute disgrace as is his reluctance to face the cameras after one of his numerous three, four, five and six goal hidings.

• 13 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Rafa lotion!!?? Not sure what you’ve been getting up to. Not sure i want to know come to think of it 😮 😀

• 14 Lilongwe Geordie // May 31, 2016 at 4:52 PM

I think he will be using Vardy and possibly Sturridge in the wider roles rather than out and out strikers. There are plenty of options who can play wide to a good level – or a level equivalent to Townsend, and also offer options elsewhere. Vardy, Sturridge, Lallana, Sterling, even Rooney may play in an inside forward role.

I think leaving Townsend out was probably on balance the correct decision. If he was to be included, I’d have been more inclined to leave out either Walker or Clyne. Stones, Dier and Smalling are all capable of playing right back.

I’d rather have Sturridge in then not, even if he isn’t 100%.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Worse thing is though he’ll just slink away with his millions without a word, he’s been the captain of the club now for six years and we’ve heard from him once or twice.

• 16 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 4:55 PM

fair enough. I suppose it all depends on wether a manager prefers out and out wide players, or as you say, players who are good there but can also fit into different formations

• 17 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 4:59 PM

Lol, I’ve put on predictive text to stop all tge fit fungered typos and I don’t know what’s worse 😀

• 18 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 5:02 PM

If Townsend had of showed the form he did since Rafa turned up he’d probably be in but unfortunately he was in Mclarens care while the downward slide snowballed.

• 19 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Rafa lotion is a good one, though. Also probably a decent marketing opportunity for Mash!

• 20 Shadow_Shearer // May 31, 2016 at 5:02 PM

I think it would be for the best if coloccini parted ways with newcastle, for both parties.

1 year on his contract, either let him go for free, or pay him 65k a week. No brainer.

I really admired him 1 times, but he is no longer the player I once admired. Maybe his family problems was in the way.

Very strange he accepted another season extention, & the fact he was offered 1 at the first place.

• 21 dok - the horrid colonial // May 31, 2016 at 5:09 PM

I dont hate colo, just the last few seasons, hed pick up an inury, or get a red to keep him out of the derby, and how many of those did we lose?

a true captain doesn’t whine about leaving, he stands in the breech, and mans up…. all im saying…

• 22 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 31, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Yeah its been one of the main things that has bothered me for years Colo never spoke to the fans no matter what the result !! Shocking!! A captain should be the link between fans and the club !

Would love Benitez to sign a right big nasty vocal beast to play in the middle either at centre back or midfield

• 23 Rotonda heights // May 31, 2016 at 5:20 PM

even more desperate to see taylor not get another contract.

• 24 lesh // May 31, 2016 at 5:21 PM

If Colo wants to be back in The Argentine, then there’s a simple solution – he leaves us by mutual consent with his contract ending forthwith. The savings on not paying his wages for another year’d be handy thank you.

• 25 GeordieTwo // May 31, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Colo’s been having problems with his perm for a couple of seasons now. He’s been getting it done at Johnny C.’s spa and it just hasn’t been working out. In fact Johnny C. has been saying: ” Colo, doon’t come back again like. We’ve had enough of ye. Get ya perm done elsewhere mate. I’m doing my pal Steve McRubbish’s tufty now so ah doon’t need ya business.”

• 26 Mister Tuff // May 31, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Players have thoughts/doubts about where they should be should be shown the door pronto.

• 27 GeordieTwo // May 31, 2016 at 5:28 PM

They should have sold Colo on a couple of seasons ago when he had some slight value left. Now it’s a mess. He’s not worth anything as a player but he has his nice, shiny contract extension that we’re on the hook for. They’ve done the same thing with several players. Left them hanging on collecting huge wages and doing very little.

• 28 sing in the corner // May 31, 2016 at 5:30 PM

I do agree with the boy Rashford going though. This kid has got the Midas touch at the moment, anyone can see that. As long as his superb form lasts..Because we need that to counterbalance the woeful form / recent fitness of Barkley and the others who have been well discussed this aft..

• 29 GeordieTwo // May 31, 2016 at 5:30 PM

It’s another reason I wanted a proper clear out at the executive level. This lot can do a lot of damage while Rafa tends to players. Charnley is just an Ashley yes man. Get him oot.

• 30 sing in the corner // May 31, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Geordie 2
    Rafa will sort em out man

• 31 Mister Tuff // May 31, 2016 at 5:31 PM

have =having

• 32 GeordieTwo // May 31, 2016 at 5:32 PM

The form England displayed against Australia wasn’t too encouraging. I understand some of the players were second stringers but they should have done better. Portugal will give them a good seeing to if they’re not on their game. Will they be a proper tournament team for a change?

• 33 GeordieTwo // May 31, 2016 at 5:34 PM

I hope so sing in the corner mate. I want him to get the people in that he has faith in. To me Charnley has been useless. Rafa has been fooled so far because they were playing up to him to get him signed on for 3 seasons. Beware Rafa. This load of pinheads hasn’t changed at all.

• 34 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // May 31, 2016 at 5:35 PM

If we could get rid of Taylor and Colo that would be close to 90k a week off the wage bill!! Add Williamson’s wages that are gone and that would be about 110k available to get 2 CB and a left back who would add quality and balance to the squad !!

• 35 GeordieTwo // May 31, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Has anyone seen Steve McRubbish with his tufty perm yet? Very fetching for the lasses Steve. A curly tufty. Who would have thought of it?

• 36 GeordieTwo // May 31, 2016 at 5:43 PM

And Obertan and Marveaux’s wages as well Lee Charnley Bunga mate. That adds another 50K a week. But the wage bill is still going to be a wopper for the Championship unless a few are sold on.

• 37 LGFUAD21 // May 31, 2016 at 5:47 PM

I dont harbor as much ill will towards Colo than many on here.

Surely given the circumstances, it is best to let him leave for free.

He’s past his best, isnt a started and has high PL wages.

Clearly not up for it and I dont blame him at his age after 2 relegations and seeing how MA runs the place.

• 38 GeordieTwo // May 31, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Contract extension!!!! Ahhhhh!!!!! Unbelievable!!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!

• 39 GeordieTwo // May 31, 2016 at 5:51 PM

I can get a very nice deal of a couple of tins of sardines for Colo if we are willing to let him go on a free. He could come out to Canada and we would let him feed the goats at the petting zoo. Beautiful opportunity Colo. And the club gets the sardines of course…..

• 40 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Actually Lgfuad mate I think twizzly top is besties with big Mike. That would explain his total silence about the club in any manner except allowing his name on Betty Bishops missives, and the unwarranted high wage contract extensions.

On Townsend, can’t blame Woy really, add to the fact Townsend has been nowhere for a while, then hampered for a half season in a fire team, I think it bodes well for Andros ‘ future that he got looked at in the first place. Add to the immense media pressure and FA politics the England Manager has to knuckle under, it’s pretty much a no-brainer he will be expected to drag half-baked players pulling along their past reputation to the euros. I remember the furore when Gazza was omitted from the England squad and everyone was up in arms. Nobody wanted to acknowledge he’d lost it a bit and was carrying some weight.

• 41 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Do you think Colos perm is achieved through Contract Extensions? That would explain his vibrant, long mane of tousled permyness.

• 42 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 5:59 PM

A fire team! A dire team. Dire.

• 43 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 6:02 PM

I’ve just worked out what it is about Mignolet that’s been bothering me. From the side his head looks like a banana.

• 44 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Glad I sorted that out. Phew!

• 45 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Tsunki with a “T”
    Not tsunki with a “t”
    If you’re gonna talk to me
    Don’t lower case-ee
    I’m a Capital poster
    Just ask carly….
    But don’t make the mistake
    Of typing big “C”

I just need a tune now, Marshall….

• 46 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Come on G2 keep up I’m knacking your serial postathon!

• 47 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Do it in the style of Shaggy from the song “It wasn’t me”

• 48 Back Door Man // May 31, 2016 at 6:14 PM

Bobbybee – Henderson, the new ‘Crab’ Wilkins.

I think it’s inexcusable that players see playing for a club is only a stepping stone to getting capped. Their first allegiance should always be with the club and being selected to play for their country, whilst an honour, should be seen by them as being a bonus.  Many players are quoted saying that their MAIN motivation is getting into the national team.  Ungrateful bastards.  Like some on here today I recognise the clear risk of a player getting crocked or knackered when capped and putting at risk the really important task of  playing for their club.

I can’t get excited about these international games and tournaments (unless there’s a Toon connection).  Invariably, the massed ranks of supporters attending these games come from small English towns (evidenced by all the flags branded with names like Newquay, Bicester or Tadcaster) that don’t have local teams to support back home. Before anybody jabs BDM with a shitty stick – I’m not denigrating those supporter their chance to howl and scream;  it’s just that I prefer to get animated about club football

• 49 sing in the corner // May 31, 2016 at 6:28 PM

What is Hodgson doing? Akinfenwa should have been considered ahead of Sturridge!

• 50 LGFUAD21 // May 31, 2016 at 6:45 PM

I see your point on Townsend to an extent. But he’s always performed for England.

A chance was the least he deserved.

I just dont understand why we always persist with our media darlings. Should be on form and nothing else. and Andros has arguably been one of the best English wingers in the past 6 months.

He offers soemthing different in that hes a proper winger too.

I think we couldve done without Sturridge:
    We have 2 strikers in fine form, another nice young prospect and an old head in Rooney. Sturridge is greedy and has been injured for the best part of 2 years now.

• 51 Jib // May 31, 2016 at 7:03 PM

• 52 Jib // May 31, 2016 at 7:06 PM

The Italians think it’s great that Rafa got so much money from Real winning the CL (so do I)

previous post: Newcastle Winger Unlucky – But Better Times Ahead