The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!



Newcastle Now Likely To Get That Prolific Goalscorer

8:53 am, Tuesday, May 31st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 5 Comments

Newcastle have already been linked with a number of transfer targets this summer – and it’s looking like we will finally be signing a prolific goalscorer.

If we had done that last summer, when the likes of QPR’s Charlie Austin were available – we wouldn’t be a second division side now.

But hopefully, that woeful way of running the club is now dead and buried.

One of our deficiencies as a team for a few seasons now is our inability to score goals – and Newcastle scored only 41 goals last season in 38 league games.

We also have to remember that 11 of those goals came in just two games at home to Norwich and Tottenham, so we scored just 30 goals in the other 36 league games.

ross mccormack

Ross McCormack – Fulham striker

Newcastle have been linked with Ross McCormack,  the 29 year-old Scotland international who plays for Fulham – and has scored goals for fun in the last two seasons.

In the 100 games he has played for Fulham since signing on for them from Leeds United in 2014, he has scored 42 goals and had 22 assists so he’s prolific alright – not just in scoring goals, but he can create them too.

Ross has said he would love to play in the Premier League at some stage in his career – and there may be some PL clubs after him this summer.

But Rafa Benitez could also make a very good case that he can join Newcastle and be playing Premier league football in one year and he can help us to get promoted in the meantime.

Ross can also play for a world-class manager too.

Ross could get in on the ground floor with the new Rafa revolution starting at Newcastle United.

Benitez has said he would like to sign at least one player before the Euro 2016 Championships start on June 10th.

So if we could say get Ross in for the £12M release clause in his contract and also 31 year-old former Liverpool center-back Daniel Agger – who is a free agent this summer – that would immediately help strengthen two weak areas in the side.

Defense has not been good and we have conceded a massive 255 goals in the last four PL seasons – and as we pointed out earlier Newcastle have trouble scoring goals.

That would be a very good start to the summer transfer window.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.



Tags: Championship · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target




5 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 9:00 AM

    Wow, did Belfast really break the Carrick contract extension news last night?

    I bet he’s still following Indy on Twitter.

    Decision day for Roy. Good luck Andros.

    On last nights topic of certain posters seemingly only being on the blog to attack other posters. It’s just nonsense. Take a step back and you will see there is likely merit in both sides of the argument. However, for someone to try and paint a picture of this sweet and innocent Jib, getting attacked for no reason, shows either a gross lack of understanding of the characters on this blog, or is just a total wind up.

  • 2 Jib // May 31, 2016 at 9:10 AM

    Mmmm
    Charlie Austin
    signed for Soton Jan 2016
    5 games
    ONE goal (as a sub)
    Mmmmm
    You sure can pick ’em Ed
    😀

  • 3 JP...from The Rock // May 31, 2016 at 10:57 AM

    This guy would be good for us. Knows the Championshipminside out, is quick can creat and score a bucket load for us. The only con is he is 30 in August which is a shame. I wouldn’t mind if he helps to take us up at the first time of asking.

  • 4 JP...from The Rock // May 31, 2016 at 10:58 AM

    * knows the championship inside out

  • 5 WLtoon // May 31, 2016 at 12:09 PM

    Is the McCormack interest just another rumour.,? someones fancy of a BETTER ? striker just bcos he,s done it in the Championship. ?
    I think we,ve got better strikers than him already at the club and it would be a waste of 12M imo.
    Its RUMOURED that Rafa only has 20M to spend,plus whatever he generates through sales, so with that in mind, as there is no guarentee that he,ll raise that much with players wanting to leave, i think he should buy a couple of defenders and an attacking Midfielder instead,i think Wijnalum wll leave.




previous post: Newcastle Manager’s Promise To Fans For Next Season

next post: Rafa Benitez’ Top Assistant To Leave Newcastle