The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Benitez’ Top Assistant To Leave Newcastle

9:03 am, Tuesday, May 31st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 151 Comments

We had wondered if all of Rafa Benitez’ assistants would be able to stay at Newcastle in the Championship –  and there’s news today being reported by Sky Italia that his top Italian assistant Fabio Pecchia will leave Newcastle to take charge of Hellas Verona in Serie B next season.

When Rafa first arrived at Newcastle in March, when he was introducing his coaching team, he said that Fabio was a future manager and that he would eventually manage a club – and that seems to have happened.

bio pecchia rafa benitez

Fabio Pecchia with Rafa Benitez at Newcastle

Fabio has been Rafa’s main assistant since 2013 when he joined him at Napoli and they went to Real Madrid together last summer.

Fabio will manage Verona, who were bottom of Serie A last season and will start next season in Serie B.

The 42 year-old had a long playing career as a midfielder playing for Napoli over 125 times.

He also played at Juventus and another 10 clubs in a career that spanned 18 years from 1991, when he made almost 500 first team appearances.

He played for Italy in the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta.

It will be interesting to see who Rafa will draft in now as his new assistant and while it may be good to have somebody with Championship experience, Rafa will also be looking at the long term future at Newcastle.

Benitez may even try to draft in somebody who has been associated with Newcastle United in the past.

What do you think?

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News

151 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 9:05 AM

Get JC back in!

• 2 Bambams // May 31, 2016 at 9:11 AM

I am sure Rafa has known this and no doubt will have others he can bring in.

I am sure when he first arrived The Chronicle had an article that some of Rafa’s backroom staff hadn’t joined him because it was unsure how long he would be our manager.

Time will tell

• 3 Mag52 // May 31, 2016 at 9:18 AM

The usual negative criticism by ex players in the press prior to a big tournament.
    We never learn do we ?

• 4 carl // May 31, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Ibizatoon
    I first started posting at the start of the blog in 2007. I stopped when you and Ruddy teamed up to it seemed to me to cause trouble. Let me be fair you were the peacemaker and Ruddy the bully.
    Many of us left at that time and read the news from Ed. it was as if you had taken over the blog and turned it into a war zone. Again you provided good humour and Ruddy the schoolboy strop. He seems to be the same grumpy big shot when he makes us suffer by suddenly being on here. A few long time posters seem to think the blog is something they own and not for sharing globally. That was Ed’s intention and in the early days he was a regular poster fully joining in with the daily chat. Something which Jib and others do to make me feel part of the bigger team.
    I see the growth of what Welshie calls the stooges by those coming on the blog to have a pop and mention little about the football team. I am not on a wind up but looking to enjoy the football craic once more though I am happy at the prospect of becoming just a reader again. Ed has estimated that around 67% never post and you need to ask yourself why. I have no axe to grind but a wish to preserve the blog as it celebrates its 10th year in 2017.

• 5 The next Mike Williamson // May 31, 2016 at 9:30 AM

hilarious steve bruce seems to think himself, fat Sam and other British managers deserve a crack at some of the bigger jobs. last year 8 of the bottom 9 teams were managed by brits and Swansea only clawed their way out of the bottom 8 when they employed an Italian. otherwise all the bottom 8 would have been there because of brits. only mark Hughes managed to finish above a foreign manager last season.

The only three brits that play decent football are Rodgers, howe, and possibly alex Neil. The rest are old school scrappers.

• 6 Blackley and Brownlie // May 31, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Carl
    You need to be more robust. Besides, you don’t have to get into rucks with anyone; there easily avoidable. You and others should contribute regularly instead of popping up now and then to complain. If more of you do, it might change the dynamic and give you what you want.

• 7 cyprus // May 31, 2016 at 9:33 AM

I too am a long time poster and tbh I’ve learned a lot through the years. This place is a microcosm of the real world. You get all sorts, and just because you happen to support the same team doesn’t mean you’ll hit it off with everyone.

So, learning to ignore some, converse and talk football with others, have a laugh, a heated discussion, etc. is all part and parcel.

• 8 Blackley and Brownlie // May 31, 2016 at 9:36 AM

TNMW
    On the Brits v Foreign managers. What do you put the Brits poor record down to?

I would say the top managers over the years have been Brits: Shanks, Paisley, Clough, Fergy

• 9 carl // May 31, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Blackly
    Fair points but you are a season ticket holder who follows football. Many don’t it seems and for example we had endless chat from tufff on Adam Johnson case which was all over the news so why on here endlessly. I like reading your chat usually. though I thought you lost it over ageism chat which went on for days and you lost the plot. Sorry if I am being to robust. This is a football blog and I don’t mind humour chat but not to remove any football chat. I don’t get into rucks with anyone think you need to cool it sometimes because you have good football chat. Just my opinion. There are some posters who have a lot to over but are picked on for being who they are rather than what they say. Just my opinion and thanks for your comments.

• 10 Jib // May 31, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Confirmed
    Zidane got €1.4 million for winning the CL but Rafa got €700,000
    Luvly Jubbly

• 11 Jib // May 31, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Somebody some day will write a thesis on why so many good managers came from within a 30 mile radius in Western Scotland from mining comunities.
    Busby , Stein , Shankly , Ferguson and Bob Paisley , Clough and SBR came from NE mining communities !

• 12 Blofal // May 31, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Soccer Sauce on twitter (who I rate very highly when it comes to transfer rumours) stated 10 days ago that Benitez was looking at Peter Crouch.

On a one year deal that would be a very good move I think.

• 13 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Carl…I wont answer for Ruddy. All I will say is yes he can be ferocious and that he has argued both sides of the coin during his time on this blog.

I also know that he was victim of targeted abuse on here and have seen the emails from Ed.

As I was saying in my first post, it seems your view on things is a tad one sided.

For instance, yes Jib does provide some useful links and information. He is also known to bite at the ankles of those he dislikes, for whatever reason.

My main point was about balance. There isn’t any.

I know there are posters who don’t post because of the likes you are championing. It must be a question of taste. Just like in the real world.

I agree with Blackley, you may need to be more robust. No need to not post. It’s a blog to share varying opinions.

I do get confused why you mention Blackley being a ST holder as some sort of pass to post on the blog. Yet you mention to me about Ed’s intentions for it to be a global blog. With that, there will be lots who don’t attend games, just like me.

• 14 Blackley and Brownlie // May 31, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Carl
    On the ageism craic and old Mr Carr, it’s fair to say it aroused some heated opinions. I was quite happy to respond to all of them. It was an important subject given the old fellow’s poor performance and baffling signings. There was still plenty of room on the blog for other topics. There always is. That’s how blog’s work. Come on more and talk about what you want.

• 15 The overrated Frenchman // May 31, 2016 at 10:07 AM

I’d like to see Paul Simpson back. The way he handed out the bibs and put the cones out for training was the work of a visionary. He is also a vigorous gesticulator, which is always entertaining.

• 16 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 10:07 AM

I will add, I think many of the disagreements stem from peoples view of what fans should and shouldn’t do, or what they should concentrate on or not.

I know there are many fans who simply don’t care about matters above the manger, which is fine for them, but that doesn’t make it a taboo NUFC topic. As has been said before, it’s an open blog to discuss all matters. Don’t like the content, try adding something new, other than just complaining about other posters.

Those who want to discuss certain subjects, will.

• 17 Yo-yo // May 31, 2016 at 10:08 AM

I’m going give JIB my 110% support in his campaign against Ross McCormack becoming the new Charlie Austin on this blog and in Ed’s articles.

• 18 carl // May 31, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Ibizatoon
    Don’t be confused ferocious is not a word I would use maybe offensive and lacking good football experience. someone who has watched little at the ground football is not as knowledgeable as say a Blackley. When you go to a game you remember incidents which watching countless to games just fail to register after time. You create your own highlights and not the commentator. It’s not an event just ask Bobby who will recall performance movement of players who made a run but didn’t get a pass. I don’t get to watch games as much butBobby’s opinion on a player is always read by me. Ok he has his favourites but we al do.
    I am rushing because I have to leave.

• 19 Yo-yo // May 31, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Ibiza

Realistically, its the slagging out and the ‘know nowt ‘ tags given to posters by other regular posters who have a teeny bit different opinion that cause the firestorms on here.
    We have a brand new WUM on the site the last week or so, doing his utmost to slag out almost every other regular poster but using an arcane approach to language to sort of make it pseudo intllectual and therefore funny.
    The multiples argument is never-ending, though I don’t know why, and the anti Ashley zealots pretty much slag out everybody else too.
    Honest differences of opinion ? … or as Jib described it, total hubris ?

• 20 richyg01 // May 31, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Wonder if he will offer Collo the job?

• 21 carl // May 31, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Finally. You talk of balance but where is the balance when it involves Mike Ashley. As a fan I don’t care why he’s now doing the right things but am pleased. I don’t want to go back over his history other than as a means of trying to under and him and likely future actions.
    Some come on still to endlessly make the same points as if we’re all got memory loss.
    Your partner when he comes on just offends after all this time. Let’s live but learn. I always found you more likeable and not offensive to the Geordie nation. Many found shepherd and hall only looking are self interest.

• 22 lesh // May 31, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Ibiza

Get JC in? Which one? The famous one who or the one said to have been born in Nazareth?

• 23 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Carl…Not a question of confusion, perhaps a differing opinion? That’s not to say I agree with everything Ruddy has said, I don’t and have said so. Let’s be real though, people don’t post because of Ruddy, who hardly ever posts anymore?

I do take on board about people perhaps being better placed to make judgements at games. Then again, on this very blog, we’ve seen people giving varying opinions who have been at the same game. That’s life. If it works for you though, who am I to judge?

Yo-Yo…But where do you draw that line? I’ve seen both, shall we call them “parties” calling each other names or randomly coming on and taking a swipe at each other. It isn’t just a one sided thing.

I agree, it would make things easier if that sort of thing was dropped, but probably a tad unrealistic on a blog.

• 24 lesh // May 31, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Ibiza

*…. the famous one who performed miracles or the one born on Nazareth…..

• 25 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Lesh… Are they not the same person? 🙂

Carl…My partner? Grow up. I’m talking about blog balance. There you go again. “I don’t want to go back over his history other than as a means of trying to under and him and likely future actions”

That’s good for you Carl, but others do. Ignore the posts and talk about what you want to discuss.

Personally, I have found it hard for a long time to be genuinely excited about footballing matters at NUFC, as I just couldn’t see where any of it was going, due to Ashleys running of NUFC. For the first time, it does appear they’re doing the right things, but peoples skepticism is justified. Most are trying to enjoy the ride, why on Earth are we talking about Ruddy?

You mention being offensive to the Geordie nation. It was Ashleys treatment of said Geordies that pushed me over the edge and many others.

We do all want the same thing, we just see the path differently.

• 26 Very Terry // May 31, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Carl (Ibiza, Cyprus)
    I agree with you Carl. Since leaving England 4 years ago i read this blog a lot (ask my wife :-/) but rarely post comments because I don’t want to get ‘sucked in’ to what often goes on here.
    I enjoy Ed’s tireless enthusiasm for all things NUFC and look to the comments for informed opinion, passion and wit which is often there but far too often (yesterday being a prime example) spoiled by bickering and name-calling which seems, frankly, a bit sad.
    IMHO, as they say, all posters should try to remember that most readers are here for the football knowledge and opinion and the humour that Geordies are renowned for and not personal vendetta, one-upmanship daft stuff which must have any visiting Makems rolling around with laughter.
    I’m in agreement with Carl, what do other blog-readers think?

• 27 carl // May 31, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Maybe because you are defending the indefensible. You fail to appreciate the view held by many both on here and at a number of NUFC associations.

• 28 carl // May 31, 2016 at 10:38 AM

I am getting owt !!!

• 29 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 10:39 AM

carl,
    What is your relationship to Ian Toon?

• 30 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Jail…Not sure that is going to help anything.

Carl…I’ve agreed there is an issue. I still think you lack balance when assessing those responsible. It isn’t one way traffic.

I am simply stating my opinion Carl. Out of interest, do you consider this an argument?

• 31 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Anyway, the blog is open for business. Post as you see fit, within the guidelines Ed has set.

Enjoy your day all.

• 32 Shadow_Shearer // May 31, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Anybody know if Ian cathro is still at the club??

• 33 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Ibiza,
    No it isn’t but neither is randomly turning up on a blog to attack other posters for not posting football related chat while not mentioning football at all.

• 34 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Jail…Then perhaps make that point?

• 35 Lilongwe Geordie // May 31, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Shadow,
    Yes he is. Or at least was when season ended and there has been no word of his departure.

• 36 JP...from The Rock // May 31, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Colo needs to get the hell out pf this club. Cut all ties with that Agrgie twat. Out for 3 months with a mysterious calf injury!? Some captain, probably the less vocal captain we have ever had, ridiculous. Move on Colo ur are no longer wanted.

• 37 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 11:06 AM

JP,
    I’d agree with you on that one but JimmySmith made the point that he is a Championship experienced defender who’s would be useful back up until we get back to the PL. Personally get rid.

• 38 cyprus // May 31, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Not sure why the venom re Colo, right now. There was this poster who blamed everything on that guy, when he was finally out, the results got even worse. Fact is, NUFC have always had a poor back four, or, at least, never a complete back 4. Colo was probably one of the better ones there, if you ask me. At least he could control the ball… which I guess says a lot about the quality back there.

Many have been victimised, individually, it’s not that simple. Danny Simpson is a classic case of this, he now wears a medal.

• 39 cyprus // May 31, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Very Terry,
    I agree with your post.

Anyway, when we are winning it’s all love and kisses on here. It’s almost pathetic 🙂

When we lose, nerves are jangling, patience is short.

• 40 cjtoon // May 31, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Ironically with Lascelles, Mbemba, Janmaat, Colo & Dummett (Taylor If he Stays) I think we have a better defence than we have had in a long time, with decent cover in Haidara, Good & Mbabu plus Sterry & Satka maybe…

I don’t think we need to do much with it for a season in the championship – only replace any outgoings, which there may be a few…granted.

As cyprus said we have seen scapegoats made of a handful of our defenders in recent memories – Santon, Staylor, Colo & Janmaat to an extent too. I would love to see Mbemba and Lascelles get a season together next season they could form a great base to the team.

• 41 cyprus // May 31, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Very Terry,
    The internet persona, the virtual ‘me’, was much more different when this blog was created, to our real life persona. Hence the pseudonyms. To explain:

Today, in many dominant social media, and blogs aren’t that, people hold their real names. This has meant a generally more careful approach.

What am I saying? If people’s identities were known, they’d probably be more politically and socially ‘correct’.

Personally, I don’t mind the ‘old’ approach too much. There are certain benefits.

• 42 Mister Tuff // May 31, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Carl – another selective poke about me posting about Adam Johnson.—– endlessly.
    I think you’ll find others posted more about him than me and I was responding to their posts. Do not see you having a go at them – surprise surprise.
    Do not see you having a pop at those using vile comments – perhaps you were out shopping that day or crossed the road to the other side or had a fly in your eye.
    Same fall back position – not because of what the debate is but who your blog mates are and who your perceived blog enemies are. The height of double standards and hypocrisy.
    You have the same message, the same phraselogy, the same “mates, the same enemies, the same writing style as someone else. I wonder who.
    Give it a rest and stop your blog scheming.

• 43 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 11:35 AM

cjtoon,
    I disagree, that same defence has leaked 60 goals a season for the last three years bar a different RB here and CB there, it needs a change of scenery and mentality. Adding Lascelles is not enough, we need an experienced leader at the back.

• 44 magscar // May 31, 2016 at 11:36 AM

On the issue of Taylor and Colo ( and in fact all of the other potential leavers being touted around) I am prepared to put my faith in Rafa’s assessment of their current worth to the club and his judgement as to whether or not he can do better to bring in alternatives or to give a transfer fund boost. He also seems to have last say so even if someone agitates for a move or club want to cash in it will be his call. The “big hitters ” are on longer contracts so don’t hold all the cards and Ialso imagine Rafa can be persuasive.

This may seem obvious but I don’t recall how long it is since I have had such faith in a manager to make the right calls and been relaxed about the window opening.

Another good thing is he hasn’t just come in but has seen the players under fire as well as in training and will have a good idea who is up for the challenge.

• 45 Rotonda heights // May 31, 2016 at 11:37 AM

i always thought carl was one of ian’s multiples – no?

• 46 Mister Tuff // May 31, 2016 at 11:47 AM

• 47 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Pecchia Out! ….oh….right.

I’m trying to figure out the correlation of the article to the sobbing grinery of Carl. Listen to old Blackley, he’s got it right – just grow one if you can, and talk about the football related stuff you’ve been sorely missing but still managed to forget to actually introduce.

Unless the monster under your bed is a typed A4 page of personal insults, I would not worry too much about the damaging blows inflicted by fonts. I think you’ll find the Goons/Stooges/usual suspects etc are no more than an imaginary collection of random posters who simply speak up when someone pops up to finger point and ridicule someone’s facts, randomly insult, or wind people up with their bothersome complaints about the hurt they’ve received at the hands of someone who disagreed with them.

And the multiples have been proved to exist, and will only be a dead matter when they stop doing it. Carl. If you don’t stop whimpering we’ll set BandB on you.

On topic then – I don’t think there’s any reason to panic, I think Rafa would have been informed about this well beforehand, especially when contract signing became imminent. He’s got a while to assemble his coaching team yet. There’s no ridiculous tour of the Indian subcontinent or the Marshall Islands so I think the pressure is off and work in pre season will probably be more productive and informative than it has been for many years, under the previous Stooges oops sorry managers.

• 48 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Well the “venom” is more of a general cheesing off that our bubble-capped skipper has inflicted on the watching fan base. it’s not his playing – for me he’s a very effective CB, probably on his day still the best and most level headed at the club. But his convenient injury record and constant noises to play somewhere that doesn’t seem as keen these days to have him – those irk somewhat.

• 49 carl // May 31, 2016 at 11:53 AM

Tsunki
    It’s carl and I first posted in 2007. You’re better than at 47.

• 50 Hail Wor Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Curly-haired coward – OOT!

• 51 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Looks like I was being generous when I said sixty goals a season for three years, it’s actually sixty five a season for four years.
    Cyprus,
    I don’t think Collos is being victimised or scapegoated, a handful of posters imo unfairly targeted Willo and Simpson for their ability which was down to the policy of retaining a threadbare squad. I think people have finally tired of our camera shy captain, his open letters, deliberate sending off and general couldn’t give a toss attitude not to mention being the main constant of a -65 a season defence. Even the lads at NUFC.com have had a go at him.

• 52 Mister Tuff // May 31, 2016 at 11:59 AM

See the London Evening Standard are claiming that Townsend will get the chop by Hodgson.
    Bit premature -lets wait and see – think he stands a decent chance.
    I would take young Rashford and bin Wilshire and Sterling.

• 53 cjtoon // May 31, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Jail – fact is thats the whole point its not the same defence we have had for three years.

Dummett defensively is good at LB not great at overlapping with conviction or crossing but he does hold his own defensively. Still think he should be a CB and as one of the 4 CB’s most clubs have he could be a great squad player for us. Haidara Provides good cover but needs to stay injury free – its hard to judge him on his bit part stint so far.

Lascelles & Mbemba – both quick and strong both good in the air – its been a long time since we could say that about a defensive pairing – thinking of past centre backs makes me shudder. They are both far from the finished article but if they both plan to stay I think we should build for the future with those two – of course thats just my opinion but I think its a good one :-p Obviously if Colo & Taylor go it makes sense to replace them with the best players we can get but I’d be disappointed to not start next season with Mbemba/Lascelles Partnership

Janmaat is great offensively but not so great defensively – I think he will be out the door this window but if he stays he can still be a great asset – just needs to be covered when he bombs forward. He was our most dangerous outlet for the first half of the season – which is both impressive and embarrassing in equal measure. I wouldn’t be adverse to replacing him with a younger better all rounder.

Like I said yes we have a bad defensive record but it works a few ways – we spent large parts of last season soaking up pressure and trying to hit teams on the counter – poor pressing of the ball, particularly collectively puts a great deal of pressure on our defense. We haven’t had a consistent back four for ages too which doesnt help – I would expect us to see more of the ball next season and the two CB’s have had time to build a partnership – i think they would be great 🙂

• 54 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 12:04 PM

WANTED:

Stooges and Assistant Cronies.

We urgently require Top Level Stooges to manage the continual and unjustified harassment of innocent, inoffensive single posters, preferably with a Random Attack Certificate to HND/ Degree level. The successful candidate will display unpleasant exception to football related posts, and can work seamlessly with a Team of accomplished and highly motivated Gang of Keyboard Bullies, and administer the day to day running and rallying of Assistant Cronies in their Gang.

Assistant Cronies are also required as part of a Gang, and must be available under a Zero Hours arrangement to step in and assist with bullying without needing any reason to do so.

An application form can be supplied by tentatively logging on and approaching us at:

The Usual Suspects
    Stooge House
    Edsblog.

(WUMS, Multiple applicants and withering bleaters need not apply)

• 55 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 12:06 PM

That better, carl?

😀

• 56 carl // May 31, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Tsunki
    Good and you do realise you’ll be swamped with applications.

• 57 Mister Tuff // May 31, 2016 at 12:13 PM

I fink he’ll be fwightened by those fewocious fonts and go wunning off to mama..
    He needs to be a bwave soldier and not keep going booohooo booohooo. – like a young tart.

• 58 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Hang on. Hang on…. I think an application may be flooding in….

• 59 Very Terry // May 31, 2016 at 12:23 PM

So on a similar theme to Colo, why all the venom towards Daryl Janmaat? He seems , IMHO, to genuinely try his best for the shirt and I think I remember him being generally recognized as sometimes the only Newcastle player on the pitch giving his all quite regularly over the last few difficult seasons.I know he’s often been out of position to defend but at times, before Townsend and Shelvey came he was the only one putting crosses into the box. He gets so much flak now, am I missing something?
    I’m not looking for an argument here 🙂 just genuinely interested in people’s take on this…
    Peace.

• 60 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Did I just see someone moan because someone else used and upper case letter instead of a lower case letter when addressing them. Really??? carl….Grow up! That is beyond petty, especially when complaining about other petty arguments from the past!! The only one who seems to want to keep it going is you!

On topic

Rafa will already have someone lined up, imo. He tends to be pro-active rather than re-active.

• 61 carl // May 31, 2016 at 12:28 PM

@60- you’re confused.

• 62 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 12:30 PM

No i’m not. Since you came back, all you do is b1tch.

• 63 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Very Terry…For me, Janmaat becomes an issue when the chips are down and you need a fighter.

He was one of our better players earlier in the season, albeit not in defense, but at least he showed some effort. When things went against us, he just seemed to disappear.

I think it’s a question of character for fans. Same with Colo. They seem to lack it when it’s needed most.

• 64 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Try talking about football? You keep moaning that others don’t, yet completely ignore the topic yourself. No one is going to appologise for the past, because no one will accept total blame, and rightly so. No one cares that you stopped posting, or why. No one cares why you think others stopped posting. What was the point in coming back of you can’t move on?

• 65 carl // May 31, 2016 at 12:37 PM

You’re confusing me with C( capital) arl.

• 66 carl // May 31, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Ibitzatoon
    We were having a discussion. You were always the peacemaker.

You
    I chatted about football last night with Bobby and others.

• 67 manxpie // May 31, 2016 at 12:45 PM

The problem isn’t collo it’s the fact he’s been babysitting LB’s for years hiadara and Santon are shite defenders constantly out of position
    he’s played his best when he had Enrique next to him and this season dummet
    so really it’s the fact that we haven’t invested properly in defence for years for the shocking goals conceded

• 68 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 12:47 PM

carl

You clearly whined when tsunki called you ‘Carl’ instead of ‘carl’. There is no ‘Carl’ on here. But fine, carry on being the historic victim, i have no further interest.

• 69 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 12:49 PM

manx…Isn’t that also an issue of tactics? Lots of FB’s get forward these days, which means they will likely be out of position on the counter attack.

Surely it’s the CB’s job therefore to provide cover, along with the CDM?

Ability aside, I think most peoples issue with Colo is his attitude. He’s supposed to be the captain, but shows very little leadership. In a season we’ve been relegated, his leadership will rightly be questioned.

Not disputing the point that we haven’t invested properly in defense though.

• 70 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 12:50 PM

YCMIU…There is a Capital Carl, but I haven’t seen him today.

• 71 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 12:50 PM

carl // Feb 7, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Tuff
    I do not know Ian Toon at all and have not to my knowledge ever met him. I do see him as a good though infrequent contributor to the blog.

—————————–

carl // Mar 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I do not know Pushy. I went to the same uni as IT and I got him part time work whilst he was studying. We have not met up for around 18 months although we correspond from time to time as were in the same line of business. You can take whatever line you wish but for me IT remains inviolate.

Can’t see any capital C’s

• 72 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 12:58 PM

cj toon,
    Collocini and when fit Taylor have been the constants in that defence and it appears to be the same as who ever has played it has one thing in common it leaks goals like a sieve we need a leader at the back and we might have got away with it. We need a quality LB and CB brought in and Collo banished.

• 73 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 12:58 PM

OK now just let me rest for a bit… I’ll catch up….so let’s get this right…Capital Carl is not the same as Top Hole lower case carl? Ah. I think I’m beginning to see where the confusion lies. I can understand why having a random capital letter put into your name could be bewildering. My bad. If anyone posts my names as tsunki instead of Tsunki, beware! I may miss your question! And get offended by your font choice.

• 74 manxpie // May 31, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Aye maybe a few times here and there but constantly? Not for me
    he’s a good defender imo and certainly not at fault for everything as people suggest
    yeah his attitude isn’t great and he shouldn’t be captain but he looks good when there is an actual defender next to him
    I’d rather a defence that defends well than having a full back that looks good but creates nothing i.e Santon, hiadara, even janmaat all of them did very little offensively and were shocking at their primary jobs

• 75 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Previously…. on When Fonts Attack! Danger lurks on one mans keyboard when the innocent phone tapper inadvertently allows his autocorrect to capitalise at random – with devastating results!!!

• 76 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Ian you are hard work. I’ve told you that before though haven’t I?

Cue “who is Ian?” 🙂

• 77 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 1:04 PM

manx….I don’t think there are too many who really blame him for everything. I can only really think of one poster who takes it that far.

I agree, he CAN be a good defender. Although I do think his ability is declining (he is getting on a bit) and I do question his leadership or whether he’d be happy to not be captain if he remained.

• 78 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 1:09 PM

What a shame, the whole multiple shite dies down and hasn’t been mentioned for months now. Then carl and Jack Root appear to tell us that the usual suspects stop them from posting. Is it a deliberate attempt to stir things up or what?

• 79 carl // May 31, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Jails for A
    I have been posting since 2007. It doesn’t involve me. You should take it up with Ed we’ve had problems with lower case/ Capital. Beattie raised the name a few years ago but he couldn’t use it I believe and there was a Carly / carly query.
    Speak to Ed.

• 80 carl // May 31, 2016 at 1:12 PM

Jail
    Stop manipulating.

• 81 expatmag // May 31, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Phew…..here we go again….another day another fcuking drama queen

• 82 carl // May 31, 2016 at 1:14 PM

I have posted since 2007 but not during the period of the two posts you blogged.

• 83 carl // May 31, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Jail stop the drama. Just calm down that’s why so many have stopped posting. You love being the centre of attention.

• 84 cjtoon // May 31, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Jail

I agree Taylor and Colo have been the longer term consistents of a poorly performing defence but there are a lot of factors but I still think our current defence would do great in the championship with lots of potential for the future too.

I kind of expect Taylor to go – which is a shame because he has the heart and pride etc. He has been great at times too just never consistent or fully free from injuries. Colo is turning much the same form up and down like a yo-yo and seen a hell of a lot of the treatment room – often at the worst times for the team.

But with Mbemba (who I think was a cracking singing) and Lascelles showing they can step up and form a pretty formidable partnership I genuinely think that is a great base for a solid defence!

Would you not be happy starting the season with a back four of

Janmaat ~ Mbemba ~ Lascelles ~ Dummett

I would be really happy with that – It has a lot of promise – If we could keep Tiote to help cover when the full backs get forward we would look solid I think.

• 85 Mister Tuff // May 31, 2016 at 1:16 PM

One or two decent posts today – absolutely capital.

• 86 carl // May 31, 2016 at 1:18 PM

I am going. See you Sherlock.

• 87 dok - the horrid colonial // May 31, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Tsunki, (with a capital T) @75,

I saw that episode on netflix, its a must watch…

Jail For Ashley (again, Capitals)

Well said…

• 88 dok - the horrid colonial // May 31, 2016 at 1:20 PM

carl, (no capitals)

calling Jail (capital letter) trying to be the centre of attention is “hi pot, im kettle”.. all you’ve contributed is the incessant nonstop syntax whining… were better off without you… and im dumber for having read your blathering posts… good day…

• 89 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Mr T – how delightfully spiffing! 🙂

Carl – sorry, carl….I’m just curious about one thing. When have you been posting since? 🙂

If the whole C/c thing is so awkward and you have to keep explaining it all the time why don’t you just change it to Adolf or Machiavelli or something else memorable. Or are caps absolutely a no-go area for you?

• 90 Tsunki // May 31, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Sorry to be a bit slow but…who is carly? I’m a bit confused here. Is she a good poster or a bad one?

• 91 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 1:26 PM

JFA
    He always disappears after beIng called out on the ‘ian toon’ lie. I keep pointing out it is deffo the same carl. The mobile site (i know i have said this) shows the exact same colour-pattern icon on both those posts. It is irrefuteable as far as I am concerned. I wish I knew what he is looking for by keep bringing up the past arguments?

• 92 Mister Tuff // May 31, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Tsunki – indeed not only some spiffing posts – dare I say absolutely splendid posting. Capital.

• 93 Mister Tuff // May 31, 2016 at 1:31 PM

The England v Portugal match be a good game on Thurday night. Home game at Wembley in the Capital.

• 94 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 1:31 PM

All we need now is a German poster named “Das Kapital”. Or preferably shown as “dAS kAPITAL”

• 95 giimps // May 31, 2016 at 1:33 PM

does my heed in,

• 96 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Or just “Karl” and “karl”. That would be fun.

• 97 Jack Root // May 31, 2016 at 1:38 PM

Jail

I don’t know what daft games you’re playing but don’t involve me in them .

• 98 dok - the horrid colonial // May 31, 2016 at 1:43 PM

here in tx we also have Capital punishment…

feel like im in a sesame street timewarp… todays episode brought to you by all the Capital letters….

• 99 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Dok

….and by multiple numbers 😀

• 100 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Ffs man!

• 101 dok - the horrid colonial // May 31, 2016 at 1:50 PM

YCMIU,

don’t you mean multiple posters? 🙂

• 102 G // May 31, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Sure I saw a lower case G on here once, bloody infiltrator.

• 103 giimps // May 31, 2016 at 1:55 PM

one person one account one case

• 104 Spoof // May 31, 2016 at 1:55 PM

People do and will fall out from time to time, I have with people on this site, but there is not one poster who I blank and as far as I am aware there is not one poster who blanks me, surely we are all capable of disagreeing and then just moving on, it certain people are constantly trying to goad you then it is quite easy to just ignore them !!!!

• 105 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 1:56 PM

YC,
    I know it is, it’s been the same icon, same list of usual suspects and same fawning over certain posters who he wants to side with all these years.

• 106 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Townsend not included.

• 107 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Ibiza,
    Noooooo!

• 108 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Ah, gutted for him!

• 109 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 2:08 PM

• 110 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // May 31, 2016 at 2:09 PM

What a f****** joke!! Townsend got 15 minutes ffs. But yeah let’s take Wilshire and henderson who have done f*** all all season. How the f Drinkwater and Townsend are out over those two is a f joke.

• 111 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Too many forwards in the england squad. And Drinkwater out for henderson? Sturridge not fit but he is still going? With Delph out already, surely taking Townsend as a winger was sensible. A bit disappointed in Roy.

• 112 Lindisfarne // May 31, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Shadow

That was exactly my first thought, why bring someone else in when there is a ready made Spanish speaking Assistant in Ian Cathro. However, that will be the same line of arguement that LC will be trying to persuade Rafa with , which I do not want to be too closely associated with. Alongside, the unnecessary need of Central Defenders and Striker, due to the abundance of existing players, not. Penfold should write a book/autobiography called “How to hobble a horse and get away with it”.

• 113 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // May 31, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Massively disappointed in Roy, even without Townsend where the hell are: Noble, Antonio, Carroll, Defoe, Cresswell… He chooses the likes of Henderson and Wilshire over Drinkwater and Townsend who have been so much better this season. Rashford over Defoe? This team is way too young and we are going to fall flat on our faces. Terrible choice Roy. I hope you lose your job because that selection is ridiculous.

• 114 Ibizatoon // May 31, 2016 at 2:16 PM

It is disappointing for Andros. I think he fully deserved a spot in that team.

Hopefully it just drives him and makes him more determined to show people what he can do. Whilst at the toon.

• 115 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Do we really need all three of Stirling, Rashford and Sturridge? I would assume he has decided to use stirling as a winger instead. Thats the only reasoning i can think of that keeps Townsend out. Not very good reasoning imo

• 116 giimps // May 31, 2016 at 2:17 PM

I will be disappointed to see CoCo leaving, afterall, how will we cope without his vociferous shouting and martialling duties in defence?
    Who will give the interviews that a normal captain would do, and who will run through brick walls like he has done ……….maybe we could get Marcellino back for these duties, if i remember he was on par with the curly haired one ,although maybe he appeared in public slightly less and had the same penchant for turning up for derbies and end of season games………i may be a litttle harsh here but im not sure he will be missed…..other than by that lass from whitley bay ……cough ….cough

• 117 giimps // May 31, 2016 at 2:21 PM

So Andros has been dropped from England ,Roy has chosen, Jack Wheelchair and Sicknote Sturridge rather than a guy who is totally fit and i n form….well done woy……..mug

• 118 loonie-toon // May 31, 2016 at 2:26 PM

A fink Townsend and drink water been unlucky there few player who r very lucky to b in the squad and IMO a fink a place has been wasted having 3 goal keepers wen did andros come on other night 77th min dint reali get a crack

• 119 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 2:28 PM

I have to say, i never disliked Woy. I liked the fact he started from scratch in the WC with kids who were always going to struggle, and i was liking the way we have been playing since. I am gobsmacked at some of his choices this time, and i suspect the FA have somehow managed to inject a little touch of thier ruinous input. Sturridge and wheelchair? Stirling hardly gets a game. Henderson is average at best. Drinkwater should have been in for him. Townsend in for any one of stirling, wheelchair or sturridge

• 120 martoon // May 31, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Looks like Dummett has missed out on the Welsh squad as well.

• 121 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Loonie

You need 3 keepers. Everyone takes 3. What if ine gets injured halfway through the tournament? If you only have two, you wouldn’t have a sub keeper on the bench.

• 122 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Martoon

Was probably always going to be difficult for dummet, he is a solid player, but its tough for a full back to stand out in a poor team like ours.

• 123 martoon // May 31, 2016 at 2:41 PM

I have to say Drinkwater & Townsend are 2 of the most in-form players at the moment – absolutely ridiculous missing them out!

• 124 Jail for Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 2:41 PM

martoon,
    You’re joking. And yet Sissoko will make the French

• 125 giimps // May 31, 2016 at 2:42 PM

I can just see the I told you so speech bubble when Wheelchair and Sturridge both get injuries before the tournament even kicks off and were down to 21 players……to risk taking 4 players just back from long injuries is a huge risk and one IMHO will not go unpunished ……at least if Andros is staying, there isnt a chance of him getting injured playing for England….shame for him though the way hes played for us then being overlooked for those sicknotes

• 126 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Aye, thats a point!!! How the fcuk does socks make the french squad!?

• 127 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Giimps

If they do get injured, (and i don’t wish it on anyone) lets hope it happens in the last warm up game, because i think you can replace players it they are injured ( i think it used to be up until you play your first game)

• 128 martoon // May 31, 2016 at 2:46 PM

YCMIU – yeah you’re probably right about Dummett – I’ve a funny feeling Townsend could still sneak in the squad as a first reserve as there is bound to be an injury. Although if I was Townsend I wouldn’t answer my phone to Woy 🙂

• 129 sing in the corner // May 31, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Hodgson is in my opinion make a big mistake picking Wilshire and Henderson. They have both had precious little football for yonks. For one thing they will take ages to build up proper match fitness and come into decent touch and form. The chances of either or both picking up another injury is high, especially the brittle Wilshire. Ffs pick players in top form ie. Drinkwater and Townsend!

• 130 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Martoon

It’ll likely depend on who gets injured. If its wheelchair, then i imagine drinkwater will get in as the central player. If Sturridge breaks down, then it’ll probably be Townsend.

• 131 Jib // May 31, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Earlier this month Ian Cathro firmly ruled himself out of the Dundee United job .
    I think this was because he knew Fabio Pecchia could be leaving.

• 132 giimps // May 31, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Yeah, dont get me wrong, i dont want them to get injured/break down, i can just see it happening when its too late to do anything about it.
    I was so looking forward to seeing this newEngland playing full of youth and pace, trickery and skill, then he drops Toonsend who can play 3 positions well and keeps Wheelchair and Sturridge who play one position badly ,even when fit (and thats not very often) just cos they play for “bigger teams” i hope im wrong but i can see it coming a mile off……sturridge for gods sake…..he wouldnt work on an iron lung

• 133 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 2:55 PM

I wouldn’t care, but Wheelchair was less than useless in that deeper role on friday, and it was agianst Australia! Our mf was tackle shy for most of the game, and him and horrendouson where cospicuous by thier lack of impact imo.

• 134 bettyswallocks // May 31, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Jib…… Cathro will stay to learn from Rafa and will more than likely take over from him eventually.

PS.. Have you had your birdie num nums today?

• 135 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Giimps

Wheelchair has ruined his own body with his party lifestyle.

A fit, in for sturridge is actually a good player, imo, but when was the last time his fitness and form coincided? I think the rest of the squad is still exciting, and I still thinkmEngland could do well, but with those two as back up, we will be screwed if we get too many injuries.

• 136 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 2:58 PM

*in form

• 137 sing in the corner // May 31, 2016 at 2:59 PM

If Henderson has to go, and he does the predictable and gets injured, I hope it’s a gob injury, he has the most ridiculous thick makem accent and I can’t bear to hear him interviewed!

• 138 Mister Tuff // May 31, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Roy has picked a team – not wholly on current form -Rashford excepted.
    Wilshire will probably breakdown/get crocked.
    Lost a bit of interest now there is no Toon connection.
    Someone posted on here last week or the week before saying they thought no further than the quarters – I tend to agree,

• 139 sing in the corner // May 31, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Hodgson – OOT!

• 140 Hail Wor Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Ah well, I had misplaced faith in Woy to pick based on merit. Wilshere, Sterling, Henderson and Lallana all picked instead – sickening.

Will be dumped out in 1st knockout round either way, so not really big news.

• 141 clinath@ed // May 31, 2016 at 3:11 PM

other than taking up bums on coach seats, Wiltshire(?) and Henderson are not the ones keeping Townsend out the squad as they are predominately defensive midfield players,.
    The lad who is keeping him out, and should not be going is Barkley, who has not played well since well before Xmas.

• 142 Hail Wor Ashley // May 31, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Hnderson is box-to-box and Wilshere is anything but defensive, about as bad at tackling as Scholes was.

5 STs is daft also. Need 4 tops, unless you choose to play the likes of Sturridge and Rashford wide, in which case you’re surely better off taking a proven, in form natural in that position in Townsend. So dumb.

• 143 clinath@ed // May 31, 2016 at 3:23 PM

not the way Roy has been playing them Hail. Agreed they can, and do, play further forward for their club sides, but not recently for England.

• 144 clinath@ed // May 31, 2016 at 3:28 PM

how Roy is going to fit Rooney int any of his sides/formations, will determine who else gets the nod.
    Been playing 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 with the central 4 in a diamond shape….all to accommodate Rooney.
    Hope his obsession with his captain doesn’t cost us.

• 145 job // May 31, 2016 at 3:36 PM

so with fabio hodgsons choices we will be on the early flight home

• 146 Bobbybee // May 31, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Perhaps we should view Andros being omitted as a good thing? Had he gone to France and tore it up, it might have been difficult to keep him. Offers that might have turned his head would have come flooding in and tempted him to activate his get out clause. As it is, he’s even more likely now to seek the comfort off those he knows care ie us. He will have a point to prove and be even more dangerous. Just think clouds with silver linings.
    Carl, just keep posting mate. I enjoyed our chat last night and look forward to more.

• 147 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Rooney at the point of a diamond, behind Vardy and Kane is the only way to deploy him, imo. We should only use 433 in games where he doesn’t play

• 148 Bobbybee // May 31, 2016 at 3:50 PM

YCMIU, let’s hpoe that’s most of them then. Rooney doesn’t know himself where his best position is, having moved around all season. How much longer will he carry on living on past memories? Aand when did he last produce anything in a tournament?

• 149 sing in the corner // May 31, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Bobby
    I was thinking being omitted might be saying to Andros that if he was playing at a ‘fashionable’ and PL club like Wilshire (Arsenal) or Henderson ( Liverpool) etc allowances are made and he’d be on the plane…therefore sealing his decision that he can’t be playing in the Championship next season. Hope I’m wrong like.

• 150 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // May 31, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Bobby

For me, this is his last chance at a tournament. 2004 was the last time he played well at one, until ronaldo got him sent off. The fact is, since he is captain, he is going to be playing, no matter what anyone thinks of him.

• 151 Bobbybee // May 31, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Sing, i think Roy is an honest sort, if not the greatest gaffer. I can’t see him telling Andros that playing for us wouldn’t hurt his England chances unless he meant it. He would more likely advise that he changed club. Let’s be honest, being in Spurs’ U21’s for so long is why he’s been omitted. Just getting into the provisional squad was a sighter that he was doing the right thing by joining us and getting first team football. As we can’t change what’s happened, i prefer to look for the bright side. 😉 I think it’s obvious from the choices that Roy intends to emulate Alf Ramsey’s wingless wonders of ’66. He’ll live or die by that choice.

previous post: Newcastle Now Likely To Get That Prolific Goalscorer