The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Benitez Shows Class – Gives Thanks To Fabio Pecchia

7:37 pm, Wednesday, June 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 68 Comments

Rafa Benitez has worked with Fabio Pecchia since the summer of 2013, when he hired the 42 year-old after getting the job with Naples – a club that Fabio had previously played for.

They were together for two years at the Italian club and then at Real Madrid for six months and then at Newcastle United since early March.

Rafa+Benitez+Fabio+Pecchia+Newcastle+United+8I4ca4FJwVxl

Rafa Benitez and Fabio Pecchia celebrate 1-0 win over Palace

Fabio has today accepted the position of head coach at Verona on an initial one year deal.

This is the statement Rafa has put out on his web-site about Fabio’s new appointment:

“I would like to congratulate Fabio Pecchia who, until now, has been my ‘assistant ‘ in my recent managerial appointments at SSC Napoli, Real Madrid CF and, more recently – Newcastle United FC,”

“Fabio Pecchia has just accepted an offer from Hellas Verona and leaves us to return to Italy.”

“To the football league we both fondly know as ‘Calcio’, he returns to head up an interesting and exciting project in Hellas Verona. For this reason, I’d like to highlight two points:

“First, I am sad to see him depart as he has been an excellent professional from the first day and until the last in the years we have worked together.”

“Second and most importantly, I am pleased because he has been considered for this new position, he leaves to face these new and exciting challenges, both personally and professionally.”

“I wish you all the best, good luck and I can only say thank you for everything, Fabio.”

It appears that Rafa is already well along in choosing the successor to Fabio and his new number two at Newcastle should be announced in a matter of days.

Two very good coaches with lots of experience are said to be in the frame – Gary McAllister and Sammy Lee.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News

68 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Fabio Out! Oh I already did that one.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Rafa’s assistant at Lpool IN!

• 3 Tsunki // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:42 PM

I think Ibiza has been outed as a bit swanist. Awkward.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:43 PM

I don’t really feel like we got to know Fabio, so hard to assess his personal impact or how much of a miss he might be,

Still, assistants are vital to the manager and he was trusted by Rafa. Will be interesting to see whether Rafa brings someone in or promotes from within.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Any FM buff recommend at top LB we can get on loan from Barca, Real, and other ridiculously rich clubs for a year?

• 6 Tsunki // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Picture caption –

“Fabio…Fabio honestly – it’s not your €1 coin it’s a bottle top……if you really want it we can get it at half time”

• 7 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Good luck Fabio. I’m sure we all wish you the best of luck in your new endeavour. Should we meet again in the future, in Europe, just remember who your master is. 😉

• 8 Tsunki // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Welsh – how about those magpies? Awful aren’t they? Bunch of thieves…

🙂

• 9 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Tsunki…I feel no shame. It’s only awkward if people allow it to be so.

Do you think Welsh is bothering to actually read the thread before commenting further?

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Wish it was Fabricio instead.
    Lilongwe,
    When your about, what was your thinking behind getting Trippier, I know he’s not first choice but is that not where Spurs are at now where players of his quality aren’t. We are sorted for RB but think we really need a quality LB brought in.

• 11 sing in the corner // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:49 PM

A horrible thought just occurred to me but…Rafa wouldn’t want Colo to assist him would he????

• 12 welshgeordie9 // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:50 PM

was talking about swans, not Swansea fans.

Right so Swansea as a whole are horrible but not the fans. Is that what you are trying to say, if you say so mate.

Ha ha ha

• 13 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Tsunki @8…Got a genuine LOL there.

We sit, we wait, we see.

• 14 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Welsh…Ha ha. That’s brilliant.

Go on, give it another go.

• 15 welshgeordie9 // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:52 PM

You’ve got to laugh, i do love this blog.

• 16 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:52 PM

I’m at a loss now. Tsunki and Welsh go head to head for giving me the biggest belly laugh.

I’ll save everyone else the pain and we’ll just call it a draw.

• 17 Back Door Man // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:55 PM

I’m sure there’ll be enormous pressure from two of Villa’s top supporters.  The guy* living in Anmer Hall, will push for immediate promotion.  And that other fella**, the one who went to Slough Comprehensive, will also be “cheering on the chaps” to get back up.

*Wilhelm Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (better known as Willy Windsor)
    **David Cameroooon

• 18 welshgeordie9 // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:56 PM

Actually going back to Pardew if i may, surly he would be better off as an assistant manager rather than going straight to the managers position, he would learn a hell of a lot more with some of the top managers we have got in the premier league, I know he won’t do it but he would do well with Benitez.

• 19 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Sing…I’m not sure what the solution is, but we simply have to erase that thought.

Jail…Who do you have down for our RB? Mbabu?

• 20 toon22 // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Would be happy with Gary Mcallister

• 21 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Ibiza, to be honest, i only know a bit about black swans. They’re an occult bird by all accounts and it raised a few eyebrows when four were placed on the lake where princess di was buried on an island. (After THEY murdered her). Wooooo!

• 22 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Welsh @18…That does go someway to explaining how you’ve misunderstood my posts this evening.

Just know that I wish you no harm.

• 23 Yo-yo // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Oi Welsh
    My sister lives in Swansea.. there’s nothing wrong with Swansea.

• 24 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Bobby…Are you posting from a slide?

Apologies, I find myself in a somewhat silly mood now.

It’s just personal experience. Nothing major, just not a fan of swans.

I shouldn’t have said “fan”, should I?

Right. Food time. Have a nice night one and all.

• 25 welshgeordie9 // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Yo-yo

So do i, just wanted Ibiza to answer a question.

If that’s alright with you.

• 26 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Ibiza, no a slide post would be more Weeeee! 😉

• 27 clinath@ed // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Posting from a slide…..brilliant. Weeeeeeeeeee!

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Ibiza,
    It would depend on whether Jaanmat stays which I hope he doesn’t but if Anita is happy to play there and RafaRafa thinks Mbabu is good enough then them two to fight it out.

• 29 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:16 PM

So, Rashford has gone to France. Is he the next big thing, or just the next Januzzi, or however it’s spelt. Remember him? The next goerge best blah blah blah. He certainly has his moments, but he can be a bit head down and run? Can’t make my mind up yet. Anybody else?

• 30 clinath@ed // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Bobby…..you have to ask, if he’d played for anyone else other than Man U, would he even have been noticed.
    Having said that, every challenge he’s faced in the last 6 months he’s overcome in style.
    How legends are born…?

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Bobby,
    A gift to help you expand your vocabulary 😆

codex.wordpress.org/Using_Smilies

• 32 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Clin, aye, but didn’t Januzzi? Everything he did went right first time. Looked like a world beater, but i have no idea where he is now! 😉 Be interesting to see how he gets on in France, it might make him or break him.

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:32 PM

• 34 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Jail, cheers, but i don’t think it matters that much. Obsessing over my smileys now? Should I be worried? 😉

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:36 PM

👿
    Belfats
    😛

• 40 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Are you ill? 😉

• 41 clinath@ed // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Remember Talksport (or London football) went on about Jacuzzi for ages, saying England should give him his first senior cap, so we could benefit from his brilliance……

• 42 The next Mike Williamson // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:46 PM

We should bring in the best number 2 England’s had in recent times. whatever happened to Fergussons assistant in the treble winning year?

• 43 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Clin, aye, that’s the lad, jacuzzi 😉 manure do have their fair share of these players. Let’s hope he’s another jacuzzi eh – after France anyway.

• 44 Jib // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:50 PM

How dim are ex IBM execs ?
    Could have had a world exclusive there last week Ed – if you read your own blog !
    FFS

• 45 Tsunki // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:50 PM

He’s at it again..dear oh dear….belfast…BELFASTTT! Turn your phone AH SAY TURN YOUR PHONE THE RIGHT WAY UP!

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:52 PM

TnMW,
    He ended up suffering from narcissism and self delusion before having a mini break down where he would spend a large part of the day either with his head in his hands or grinning like a balding , rabid orangutan.

• 47 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Yum. That was delicious.

Jail…Fair enough. I suppose a lot of us have already said our goodbyes to some players, perhaps prematurely.

I’d be happy enough with Anita and Mbabu from what I’ve seen.

Bobby…I suppose if it’s a long slide we could even both be right. That’d be nice. Wooooo weeee.

Haven’t seen lots of Rashford. What I have seen, he’s been really good, but then as you say, Januzaj started strongly and then was loaned out. Mind, I do believe he went to Dortmund, hardly being banished to the footballing wastelands.

Welsh…Sorry, did I miss a question? I took it as a misunderstood statement on your part? If I’ve misunderstood, do let me know and I’ll happily attempt an answer for you.

• 48 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Mike, indeed, wtf did happen? Everyone still insists he’s a great coach, but i don’t know how. We actually played better football under him for a while, so whatever happened to that man, it happened before our eyes. 😉

• 49 Tsunki // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Yeah we really need someone as a foil for Benitez optimism and philosophical approach. SM had a fine catalogue of despair tableaux to present on match days.

• 50 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Jib…I do believe Ed’s story was with regards to Newcastle and then Rafas official comments on the matter.

• 51 Tsunki // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Mike Ashleys stooge board happened to McCardew. Doomed from the moment he found out he was going on that stupid preseason tour.

• 52 Belfast // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Oops fat fingers sorry.

It was Tsunki that won it Jail.

• 53 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:57 PM

I did wonder where he went. Not quite the next George Best though.

• 54 Belfast // Jun 1, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Did ya ever find out what you won during Pushys hangover Tsunki?

• 55 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:00 PM

Bobby…To be fair, it was probably an upgrade of a move for the lad.

Did people really say he was the next George Best (I actually typed Bush there for a second…no one deserves that though)?

• 56 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Giggs on the verge of quitting! How will the PL survive this monumental disaster.

• 57 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Ibiza, yeah, they did! Not much to live up to then?

• 58 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:04 PM

Bobby…Crazy. Those damn “they” and “them”!

• 59 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:05 PM

Anyway, i’m reading a damn good book and it’s shouting at me to read it. Enjoy the evening.

• 60 Tsunki // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Belfast I missed that. Maybe it’s one of Ian’s used dog collars? What was the event btw?

• 61 Tsunki // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Bobbybee does it shout when the page pops up? They’re really clever those things.

😀

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Don’t shout back at it Bobby, it’s only trying to be nice 😳

• 63 geordieboy83 // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:19 PM

Evening all, how about didi hamman as an assistant?

• 64 WWSBRD // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:26 PM

All the best ya big mad bloke

Wonder who will be brought in as replacement, Steven Gerrard or Alonso player/coach? Haha

• 65 simon376 // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:32 PM

WWSBRD Dont mock, I wouldnt be surprised if Gerrard does come in as maybe not player assistant manager, but a player coach with a 2 year contract for playing then more longer term coaching. Reckon he would be a great influence on the u21’s

• 66 Graeme // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:40 PM

Gerrard is making so much money, living the life of the “American Dream” enjoying the status.
    The thought of him giving that up, any time soon is remote, at least.

• 67 WWSBRD // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:50 PM

simon
    Wasn’t entirely mocking I would be pretty happy with him coming in cutting his teeth with us but as Graeme says he’s living the good life in America (tbf he’s earned it carried Liverpool a lot throughout his time there as well as enjoyed the good times) so doubt it’ll be for awhile

• 68 WWSBRD // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:52 PM

Although is Gerrard not seen in the same light as Lampard and Pirlo in America? By that I mean pretty much hated and terrible

previous post: Newcastle Make Official Annuncement