The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Benitez Working Hard On These Multiple Topics

9:11 am, Wednesday, June 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 38 Comments

Rafa Benitez is working hard on a number of topics at the moment – and one of those is the retained list and which of the players whose contracts run out this summer will have them renewed.

We expect Steven Taylor to be let go and Gabby Obertan and Sylvain Marveaux, who were fringe players at best at Newcastle over the last five years, have already departed.

rafa benitez mainget-large_trans++PoURMoge4zyCm5RemNush88cDT7xpfcMO9FRf2d6YJU

Rafa Benitez – Newcastle manager

Remy Cabella, another failed signing will be sold to Marseille for €8M on July 1st, after spending the season with them on loan.

Then there are players who are still at the club and simply not good enough for Newcastle and will need to be sold or sent out on loan next season and they include the likes of Florian Thauvin, Yoan Gouffran, Manu Riviere, Henri Saivet and others.

And with the news yesterday from Italy that Fabio Pecchia could be leaving Newcastle to take charge of Hellas Verona in Serie B next season, Rafa will need to bring in a new assistant manager.

Rafa was asked if there would be many changes in his backroom staff:

“We have already started working. We’re analyzing and reviewing everything.” “It’s still too soon.”

“The question is who will take control of this or that, I will be here and take responsibility, but at the same time I will continue working with Lee Charnley in terms of changing things or making decisions.”

There are also Newcastle’s transfer targets that need to be worked on and then an approach made with Rafa at one point saying it would be good to get at least one player in before the Euro 2016 tournament begins in France on June 10th.

The other thing that needs to be announced is the pre-season fixture list which we assume Lee Charnley is putting together for Rafa.

It certainly seems that Rafa in conjunction with Lee Charnley is running the club for Mike Ashley and Mike should be happy with that now that he has a real football man making the decisions in Rafa Benitez.

It will be interesting to see what the Football Board will look like with Rafa now here and in almost full control of things.

Tags: Coaching · Contracts · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Transfer News and Rumours

38 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Good morning to you too carl. Looks like Ed is on one again. 😉 Like buses – nothing for ages then they all come at once! I’d like to hang onto Krul myself, because imo he’s the best of three – four even – very good keepers. Granted he went off the boil for a while, but the defence in front of him didn’t offer much protection. Both the other two responded brilliantly when called upon, which makes any decision difficult.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:27 AM

I wish he’d work on ours 😉

• 3 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:35 AM

I think it’s fair to say that there will be a few departing as their contracts come to an end – those deemed by Rafa as being not up to it. Not sure there’ll be loads leaving though, as Rafa seemed to think the squad he inhereted was good enough to stay up. No doubt had he been given a little more time, he would have succeeded. We have a raft of players with great potential and I can’t see many of our younger players leaving. The first team doesn’t need a complete overhaul, just some tweaking here and there, once he knows who definitely wants out and who wants to put right the damage they caused.

• 4 carl // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Bobby
    Sorry . Talk last night about Coloccini . Early season there was a Coloccini renaissance . At Old Trafford there was the constant singing of his curly hair song. If you remember we had some daft sending offs and bookings which cost us but Curly locks was one of the better defenders
    Someone earlier mentioned Krul as going off well he played around 8-9 games before his injury and he looked OK to me but still needs to work on his kicking. For me Krul is the pick subject to full fitness he has a lot more still to offer we just need to sort out aerial defending by buying a big ugly CB.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:52 AM

Saivet who’s on a long deal may come good,
    Riverie who we desperately need shot of might be hard to shift. Gouffran may do a job with their being so many games. Aarons, Woodman and Meaburn need their contracts sorting asap.SDJ might be wanted back in Holland, our squad is nowhere near as good as people say, there are very few first team players in there.

• 6 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:52 AM

We’re in a, should I call it odd, position wiht regards to keepers. A good odd, I should add.

I’d be tempted to cash in on Krul this summer, but am in no way desperate to keep him. Not so much to do with his ability, but more about progressing our other players.

Darlow was growing in to the position, plus has Championship experience, so in theory, he should be good enough. With a season under his belt, and then our hopeful return to the PL the season after, he should be set.

We’d then have Elliot (who we frankly wont get much cash for, nor are we paying him huge wages I wouldn’t have thought), so he’d be a good backup, along with Woodman imo.

• 7 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Jail…Meaburn?

I do worry about the squad too, but was re-assured by the performances come seasons end. There is the point that maybe they were playing for moves / international squad involvement.

I know we have Rafa now, but the way some of those players simply disappeared for a lengthy part of the season has to be reason for concern. I do have faith that Rafa will give this particular issue a shake up however.

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t some fairly significant shuffling of the pack this summer.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:56 AM

The purple policy is still evident and that needs putting right.

• 9 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Carl, Collo gave us good service for years and it’s hardly his fault that he hasn’t been replaced. I think he’s served his time tbh, but if he stays he would be good back up in the Championship. I like Dunk at Brighton, who could easily move into the PL with us without blinking. Krul’s distribution ain’t his best feature, that’s for sure, but i think we’ll be playing it out under Rafa, rather than launching the ball. Back to Collo, i think if he finds a club in Argentina who’ll take him, i doubt Rafa will stand in his way – unless he wants his contract paying up, that is.

• 10 Blofal // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Krul can go. I don’t feel he organises the back 4 as well as Elliot does.

In saying that we have double the games next season and we barely got through this season alone with out keeping stocks.

I would prefer we kept Krul, Darlow and Elliot and rotated them. There will be more than enough games for all three.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Ibiza,
    Ffs man, Mbabu I need the red line typo feature back on 🙁

• 12 carl // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Good morning Ibiza.
    Yes Darlow’s experience of Championship is an important consideration. Particularly if Krul is getting back to full fitness.

• 13 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM

I still think Darlow will eventually be our long term keeper. He has great reactions, and seems a natural when it comes to being in the right place, and making the right decisions. This always makes a goal keeper appear “lucky”, but it is really more down to having natural all tound ability. He just looks so ready and confident.

• 14 carl // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:01 AM

With Brighton not going up why not bid for Dunk. He was one of the better CB’s I saw do well and he has championship experience. Looks as if he could step up a grade as well.

• 15 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Might be hard to get Dunk. Brighton might not want to sell to another champs club, especially as they will see us as promotion rivals.

• 16 carl // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:05 AM

McClaren’s decision to offer curly a new contract early season looked a good move but went south pretty quick. It seems according to press that he’s made his mind up he wants to leave. If we can get an experienced CB in then maybe best for all parties to let him go.

• 17 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Jail…Sometimes you can’t win. Typos or weird predictive text…make your choice 🙂

Carl…Indeed. I just don’t see why we really need the backup option of Krul.

Interesting point regarding his fitness mind. Would we even be able to get half decent money for him as he hasn’t played, nor is he fit or ready to play.

Bobby…In the main part, I don’t think the main issue people have with Colo is his ability (or should I say declining ability), but his general attitude the past 2-3 years. It’s not his fault he hasn’t been replaced, but I do have to question his leadership and professionalism the past seasons. That’s why people are fed up with him, imo.

• 18 WWSBRD // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Krul as much as I like him and think he’s our best keeper has injury issues depending on how much they bid I wouldn’t be entirely upset to see him leave though I doubt he will improve at Palace

Darlow looks good, Woodman is highly rated (I’ve not seen enough of him to have a real opinion) and Elliott…well I’ve accepted he’s unlikely to leave unfortunately

I’d still like to keep Krul and run the season with him Darlow and Woodman if I had the choice

• 19 WWSBRD // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:09 AM

carl
    Wasn’t McClarens decision it was the tea boys

• 20 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:10 AM

carl…Was it a McClaren choice, to extend Colos contract?

Can’t say I thought it was ever a good mood. In fact, it was one of the first club matters after our “new look board” that made me seriously question the whole thing.

I was even more confused as to why he would even want an extension, seeing as he wants out of here. The whole thing stunk.

• 21 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Give me PL experience over Championship experience any day. I’ve no idea where this belief that the Championship is somehow ‘special’ comes from. The Championship is a league filled with teams and players not yet good enough for the PL. It might be a little more rough and tumble, although that too is questionable, but at the end of the day, the best football teams get promoted. If we added nobody and nobody left, the same team that got relegated would bounce straight back under Rafa imo. You can’t escape the fact that players in the Championship aren’t as good as those in the PL, with the odd exemption. We have little to fear.

• 22 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Yo…Not a fan of Elliot?

• 23 WWSBRD // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Ibiza
    I like him as much as I like anything with roots. Tbf he’s a nice bloke and knows how lucky he is plus he did well this season (though not as good as everyone seems to think imo) but overall he’s just not good enough

• 24 clinath@ed // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Bobbybee….agree on all you’ve said at 21, but would add the mental side of the game. Players who believe themselves too good for the second tier, in any league, may not be up for it when it gets messy.

• 25 carl // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:17 AM

What McClaren said after the MaN United game.
    “There was a point in the summer where we thought he (Coloccini) might well be going. Most definitely. There were offers on the table, but the club has done great to address that situation and keep him. ”

“We said, ‘Sort him out, and get him back on board’. They’ve done that, and deep down, I think he always wanted to finish his career at Newcastle. I’m pleased he performed like he did – there’s been a lot of talk about signings this summer, but for me, that (Coloccini) was the best one.
    “We looked around at various defenders when his position was in doubt, but we quickly decided that none of them matched up. I quickly said, ‘Look, we need to get him back on board’ and the club has done that.

• 26 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:19 AM

YCMIU, I think we can get Dunk matey. 😉 I think we could cherry pick the entire league if we chose to. Dunk is ambitious and wants to get promoted to the big time. Brighton might not want to sell him, but money talks. We’re in far better shape financially than any other club in the league and have so much to offer. 52k crowds isn’t to be sniffed at and the chance to join a team favourites to get promoted and managed by one of the best in the world would surely be far too tempting for any Championship player to knock back.

• 27 Billythefish // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Send the poodle back to Argentina, he has been nothing short of a disaster for the last 2 seasons. Let’s build a team of guts
    , spirit and talent. In Rafael we have someone who will deliver what we all want.

• 28 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Bobby…I think something is getting lost in translation on this whole Championship vs Premier League quality issue.

I’d say the Championship is less about skill and more about grit determination. Well, I’d say the balance is more tipped that way, than the Premiership.

The players need to have the right mentality for that league. There are of course players who fit that criteria from the PL, but then again, for me, there are some that wont.

You are right though, clearly the best team usually wins over the course of a season.

Yo…Whilst some probably get carried away, I think he has done really well, considering he isn’t meant to be our 1st choice keeper. Exceptionally well tbh. I have no qualms with him being in and around the squad.

• 29 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Bobby

Yeah i dont think it would be impossible, because of the reasons you list, but we may have to pay over the odds, more so than if he was playing for a lower placed club. Inflated price tags are a classic sticking point for nufc.

• 30 WWSBRD // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:22 AM

carl
    Mouthpiece quotes Pardew gave them all the time

• 31 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Clinath…My point exactly.

Carl…Thanks for that. Don’t recall hearing that one previously. Good call, Steve.

• 32 carl // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Bobby
    I will breathe easy once we start winning games away from home. There seems to be an intensity both on and off the pitch in smaller grounds which we will need to overcome. We’ve got a few fancy Dan types who need to recognise battle first before being allowed to play a natural game. Did you watch Sheffield We’d in play of f against Brighton I thought they really did a job on them.
    Seems a little like having to overcome giant killings away from home in the cup. Rafa will have us up for season start.

• 33 martoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Morning all – on the subject of keepers when is Elliott actually going to be fit? I think it is not until the end of the year (although I could be wrong) in which case surely we need keep Krul so we have 2 first choice keepers and maybe let him go in January if necessary.
    Jail – re predictive text I find the best setting is predictive text on so that it suggests words but disable the auto-replacement so you have to manually select replacements – I find this a good compromise.

• 34 WWSBRD // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Ibiza
    Exceptionally well? He made saves he should make imo he was a good third choice keeper but conparing him to the other keepers Krul and Darlow are better and Woodman sounds like he could be the future

Elliott will never be worth more than he is now and of the 4 offers the least for me

• 35 hibbitt // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Bobbybee @ 21

the points you raise are valid but not quite the full picture if no one left we would still have the same problems as before the squad is not good enough or big enough for the rigours of the championship extra games will take there toll we would still lack a goal scorer and a lb and some would say a cb until Rafa can turn the injury problem around we would still have a room full of crocks week in week out colo taylor sdj sissko to name but a few

• 36 Bobbybee // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Clin, I can’t believe for one second that Rafa would allow his players to be that complacent. Let’s be honest, if they were involved when we got relegated, they’re where they are now because they didn’t cut the mustard in the PL. I get that there was a lot of mismanagement involved, but they didn’t raise their game when it mattered. No doubt Sissoko and Gini think they’re too good for the Championship, but it’s questionable whether they’ll be there next season. Ditto Janmaat. We’ll have to wait and see on that front.

Any choice of keeper.
    Mbabu, Lascelles, Mbemba Dummett
    Colback Shelvey (tiote?)
    Townsend Arma Aarons
    Mitrovic

That’s without any incomings. Not sure Rafa will be strict on 4231 either, not at home anyway. I know it’s his formation of choice, but two holding midfielders? I think he’ll be more flexible.

• 37 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Yo…Maybe exceptionally well for what I expected is a better way of putting it?

I, and a lot of others, wrote him off when he signed. I think he’s done himself and us proud tbh.

I’m not sure how happy Darlow and Woodman will be pleased playing 2nd and 3rd choice to Krul for much longer. Something has to give sometime soon, imo. I’d be looking at Krul.

No doubt, I’ll live to regret saying that. I mean, how often does a club get to their 4th choice keeper…

• 38 jimmysmith // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Collocini was out through injury according to the club. This perception of him being a skiver is completely without proven foundation. If we hadn’t been in a relegation fight the past two seasons, I doubt it would have been any sort of issue.

previous post: Premier League Club In Surprise Move For Newcastle Goalkeeper