The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Wijnaldum Powers Netherlands To Win With Great Goal – Video

10:39 pm, Wednesday, June 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 37 Comments

Newcastle’s Gini Wijnaldum scored a great winner tonight as the Netherlands beat Poland 2-1 and that was in front of a sell-out crowd of over 40,000 in Gdansk.

The Netherlands took the lead in the first half through Janssen, but after 60 minutes Jedrzejczyk equalized for Poland.

Then up stepped Georginio Wijnaldum to score the winner after 76 minutes to get the Netherlands back to their winning ways,  after they surprisingly failed to qualify for the finals of Euro 2016.

They have recently had wins against Wales, England and now Poland – so they are returning to the form we expect of the Netherlands teams.

Here’s Gini’s excellent winner.

Tags: Friendlies · Georginio Wijnaldum · International News · Newcastle News · Other News

37 responses so far ↓

• 1 WWSBRD // Jun 1, 2016 at 10:54 PM

Good goal that but the impressive work was done before Gini got the ball…bet he was mr invisible for the rest of the game though

• 2 WWSBRD // Jun 1, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Actually on my joking Gerrard comment he has said he may retire this year and look to get into coaching so u never know

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 11:09 PM

Can’t imagine there’s too much Gini love on here, 11 goals sure, four in one game though and only two that could be called winners of games , is he any different to Ba, Cabaye and Debuchy who at least tried to get a move away?

• 4 Sav // Jun 1, 2016 at 11:23 PM

It was Gini’s first season in the Prem, too, which people seem to forget. And just maybe the Macca’s coaching and playing in a herd of donkeys didn’t exactly suit his style? Its been a while since we had a midfielder hit double figures, whether at home or in one match. How about we cut him some slack at least until he leaves?

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2016 at 11:36 PM

The only redeeming factor in his season here is that he didn’t deliberately get sent off, unlike Collo, Sissoko and Jaanmatt and that tw@t Debuchy a few years ago!

• 6 Mister Tuff // Jun 1, 2016 at 11:50 PM

Just been watching Alan Shearers Euro 96 on the telly. Good memories.
    John Motson said that Gazza was the best English player he’d ever seen. Totally agree.

• 7 Mister Tuff // Jun 1, 2016 at 11:52 PM

No t a chance in hell that Gerrard would come to SJP – absolutely no chance. Would not want him anyway.

• 8 WWSBRD // Jun 1, 2016 at 11:53 PM

Honestly if he had tried Id cut him some slack but he didnt he was happy to hide in games which is atrocious imo

• 9 jimmysmith // Jun 1, 2016 at 11:54 PM

Players are ambitious, and Newcastle have consistently underperformed, so I find it hard to hold it against those that might eventually want away, but interested clubs will need to meet our valuation, and coming off a relegation season, that might not happen. Sissoko, Janmaat, Widjnaldum, should, based on ability, tear up the Championship, and may well have no choice but stay and help us back up.

• 10 jimmysmith // Jun 1, 2016 at 11:56 PM

Rafa doesn’t fancy Cathro? Didn’t he come to us with a reputation as one of the very brightest young coaches.

• 11 carltoon // Jun 1, 2016 at 11:57 PM

as long as we get someone better in his place i wont mind

• 12 JP...from The Rock // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:03 AM

I would keep Gini unless we get a ridiculous offer for him. He is class and under Benitez I doubt he’ll go missing in games, something that has more to do with the stupid gameplan than his overall play.

• 13 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:08 AM

I agree, he and a few others who are being heavily criticised are very, very good. It’s the club that has been a shambles. If they are inconsistent under Rafa over the course of a full season, then I’d agree, it would then be time to move them on.

• 14 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:18 AM

Some have been calling for wholesale changes, but I think Benitez’ will be looking at his existing squad and be thinking, ok, all I need to do is organise this group, instil some confidence, and the club will come roaring back, and I’m gonna look like a master coach.

• 15 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:31 AM

I’m an expat. I left Newcastle as a nipper in 1970, but was back during Euro 96 and saw a number of games at St James, and the England matches in some great pubs around town. It really was a wonderful experience for Geordies, with great weather, that song, and Gazza turning it on.

Love the Euro’s, and I like this current group under Woy.

• 16 JP...from The Rock // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:46 AM

Yeh good young n fast group of players the England team has got shame Townsend missed out. But on the other hand I didn’t want other teams sniffing around him so at least he’s not on the spotlight, so good for us.

• 17 Jib // Jun 2, 2016 at 6:45 AM

Thinking of the coaching at NUFC over the last few seasons.
    We can see some of Pardews problems probably started with having Carver and Stone as shis assistants.
    McClaren only really brought Paul Simpson with him as a non speciaist coach , Ian Cathro and Steve Black were club appointments not SM’s.
    He seemed to have used Cathro more as a one on one coach (he did great bringing on Kevin M’babu’s game ).
    If memory serves me right – SB had never worked with non native English speakers – as language is such an integral part of a motivational coach’s toolkit – he must have being peeing into the wind with a lot of our foreign players.
    Speaking of language Paco de Miguel and Toni Gomez both speak pretty good English while Fabio Pecchia’s is a bit shaky.
    Ian Cathro has worked as full assistant before with Nuno Espirito Santo (who called Cathro his right arm) at Rio Aves and Valencia so should be able to step up pretty effortlessly.

• 18 cyprus // Jun 2, 2016 at 6:55 AM

Like I said before, I’m all for an overhaul as most of these people have failed, evidently, given our relegation.

But, you don’t, can’t, fire everyone.

I’d keep our best, build on that. Players like Gini, Sissoko, Tiote, Lascelles, Ayoze, should be retained. We need some individuals who are supposedly better than the championship, so we don’t get stuck there.

We need a reliable CF. If nothing else, Rafa.

FFS, I’m now paying 350 a year (that’s like 1 euro a day!) to be watching OTHER teams in the PL. I guess NUFC will be screened a few times as well…

• 19 cyprus // Jun 2, 2016 at 7:02 AM

Just noticed similar comments to J.

Agreed then.

• 20 cyprus // Jun 2, 2016 at 7:05 AM

I’d Colback to that must keep group, in case you are reading mate.

• 21 cyprus // Jun 2, 2016 at 7:06 AM

add Colback

• 22 Jib // Jun 2, 2016 at 7:11 AM

If anyone remembers –
    last Summer Aleksandar Mitrovic had to make a choice between SJP and Portugal.

According to the Portuguese and Spanish media Jorge Jesus (Sporting Lisbon) has made an offer for the young Serbian (9 goals 36 games) of €10 million.
    As we paid €21 million that ia a big hit to take !

• 23 Jib // Jun 2, 2016 at 7:13 AM

• 24 cyprus // Jun 2, 2016 at 7:25 AM

maybe the key word is ‘young’. He may come good. He’s already perfected his glaring, if you saw the last game.

• 25 Jib // Jun 2, 2016 at 7:33 AM

On your previous
    Sky have pledged to show 126 FL72 games next year.
    I would guess a minimumof 20 will be involving NUFC
    The FA is trying to encourage a wider following of the Championship – one way to do that in foreign countries is to show a packed SJP with a pulsating atmosphere.

• 26 Lindisfarne // Jun 2, 2016 at 7:35 AM

Wijnaldum can not be at the top of any ones list of must have players. He is not going to the Euros and therefore has to wait and see how thinks shake down with transfers after the tournament.

• 27 Ron Knee // Jun 2, 2016 at 7:41 AM

According to Lee Ryder:

“And while the futures of Moussa Sissoko and Gini Wijnaldum remain uncertain, players such as Aleksandar Mitrovic, Vurnon Anita, Ayoze Perez, Karl Darlow and Jamaal Lascelles have made it clear they are prepared to stay and fight on in the Sky Bet Championship.”

But what about Townsend?

• 28 Lindisfarne // Jun 2, 2016 at 7:45 AM

The evidence so far would indicate that both Mitrovic and Perez are not out and out goal scorers. Attempts may have been more limited in comparison but I reckon the completed % will be low. Hence the need for reliable striker. I would presume Cisse will be the top candidate to move out, but would not discount any player being sold to improve the transfer kitty. The priority is to increase the squad size with both experienced and/or young players

• 29 Jib // Jun 2, 2016 at 7:45 AM

Massimiliano Allegri of Juventus has chased GW for a couple of seasons.
    It was between us and the Italians last summer.

He’ll fancy playing between Pogba and Cuadrado.

While we are playing at Corby Town’s Steel Park , Juventus are playing in a tournament in Melbourne involving West Ham and Spurs !

• 30 Lindisfarne // Jun 2, 2016 at 7:56 AM

I would like to have said that I would prefer a bus to Corby than fly 48 hours round trip to down under…..but it won’t happen.

• 31 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 2, 2016 at 8:22 AM

That Polish goalscorer, though… can I buy a vowel!? Jestjsjdhcorgaznzkcgdkahs

• 32 Jib // Jun 2, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Nearly as hot as Jamaica here in Mallorca (not really )

• 33 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 2, 2016 at 8:31 AM

On squad changes for next season…. While i font think we need whole sale change, i still think a few of the usual suspects do need to go. Cisse has done nothing for ages, and did not improve when rafa came. Sissoko did sort of show a bit more, but i still think he is too far gone as far as wanting a move is concerned, showing a lot of leg ans flutrering ho

• 34 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 2, 2016 at 8:34 AM

Showing a lot of leg and fluttering his eyelashes at any passing club who is in europe. I would give gini another chance, if he does the manly thing and decides to offer his services to get us back up. Either way, we need a few experienced heads, and replacements for whoever leaves, but not an entire team.

• 35 expatmag // Jun 2, 2016 at 8:39 AM

JIB @ 29

And I will be there watching too

• 36 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Gini is a class act and would be a great player in most sides, Macca destroyed him though, I can remember Gini saying whilst Macca was still here that when playing away from home they (the players) didn’t know what they were supposed to be doing, so how on earth could we expect him to prosper.
    Granted when Rafa came many did improve but Gini didn’t, however with the right management I am convinced that he would be a superb player, his strength on the ball and his ability to shrug players off when challenging him are great, sadly he never got to show that enough due to poor tactics which had us pinned back far too often, which isn’t ideal for an attacking player, I hope he stays but I doubt that he will as Rafa seems to prefer to have two defensive central midfielder’s and just the one attacking central midfielder, and he does seem to prefer Sissoko to Gini and realistically I doubt that we could keep both when in the championship so I expect Rafa to do all he can to keep Sissoko and then sacrifice Gini so he can then utilise the raised cash to strengthen elsewhere, as we do need strengthening elsewhere, possibly two right backs as Janmaat is dreadful but he is the only one we have unless he gets a straight replacement for him and is confident enough to have Mbabu as back up.
    We also need another commanding centre half, Lascellas could turn out to be a great centre half as could Mbemba but after those two we have nothing. both Taylor and Colo are past it, it could be argued “did they ever have it” Satko doesn’t appear to have progressed and Goode, always injured and in all honesty from the little I have seen of him he doesn’t live up to his name.

Left back, Dummett will be the first choice for quite a while I suspect and rightly so, we’ve seen the likes of Janmaat and Debuchy intentionally get sent off to escape the nightmare their opposing winger was giving them, that will not happen with Dummett for two very good reasons, he has a better mentality and he is two good a defender to have a mare to the extent that those two do have, give be solid defenders for full backs rather than these fancy dans who cannot defend all day long, Janmaat, Willens (who many want us to sign), Debuchy, Santon, Haidara no no no and no, give me a Dummett and a Danny Simpson equivalent and I will be delighted, they may not look pretty with suicidal runs forward but you always have a better team and get better results with those type of fullbacks.

Midfield, as stated I feel Gini will go as will De Jong, prehaps Cook from Leeds or Hughes from Derby as a replacement, defensively could be interesting, how will Rafa view Shelvey, will Tiote finally get his big payday, is Saivet still alive ? Anita, championship ?, in all honesty Colback for me is the only one who I feel is assured to be still here, could be a few changes there, then again there may be none.

Wingers, I hope and prey that we can keep Townsend and I equally hope and prey that Aarons stays fit, gets a run and proves that he is as good as I believe he could be ( Rashford has burst onto the seen and cemented a place in the England squad, I believe that Aarons has that ability), however is two enough, with Perez it possibly is, if we can manage to keep Perez of course.

Up front is a problem as well, I expect us to sign at least one proven, Cisse and Riviere I expect to be gone, Mitro, I love him but I’m not sure Rafa does, Armstrong ?, on the rare occasion he has had an outing for us he has looked like a fish out of water, could he take his league one performances into the Championship, the jury is out on that one, so just what will Rafa do ?.

• 37 stripes1009 // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Talking of ‘brightest of coaches’……would Paul Clement fit the bill for us? Ex-Real Madrid, had Derby top of the Championship for a while. Unlucky to get sacked but certainly a ‘bright prospect’!

previous post: Rafa Benitez Shows Class – Gives Thanks To Fabio Pecchia