The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Will Definitely Let This Star Player Leave In Summer

9:02 am, Thursday, June 2nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 94 Comments

It looks like it’s almost certain that Fabricio Coloccini has already played his last game for Newcastle – that 5-1 disgrace at Chelsea on February 13th – when the squad was then whisked away for a one week holiday in the south of Spain with promises from the head coach that everything would be OK when they returned.

They weren’t and we lost 1-0 at Stoke, after going all out for a 0-0 draw from the very first whistle – and then we lost 3-1 at home to Bournemouth.

Owner Mike Ashley had had enough and told Lee Charnley – who was said to be dithering again – to go out and get Rafa Benitez to Newcastle.

fabricio coloccini

Fabricio Coloccini – will definitely leave this summer

Fabricio did the very difficult thing of injuring himself in the warm-down after the 2-1 win against Lillestrom on February 20th, but the initial diagnosis was that he could make the Stoke game.

In truth he didn’t play again all season, which puts a question mark against the medical department about their initial prognosis – but he did injure the calf again once Rafa had arrived at the club.

Fabricio was foolishly given a one year extension by Steve McClaren last summer.

But it’s a good time for the now 34 year-old to leave the club with Rafa Benitez building a new side and likely to bring in at least one new center-back this summer.

We have been linked with 24 year-old Steven Caulker of QPR, although he has also been approached by some middle of the table clubs in the Premier League like West Brom.

Maybe he’ll prefer to go to one of those clubs this summer?

But it’s almost certain that Newcastle will allow Fabricio to leave and join San Lorenzo if only to get his £65K/week wages off the wage bill.

Colo conveniently announced a couple of days ago in Argentina that it was his desire to join San Lorenzo, to be with his children who now reside in Buenos Aries.

Colo had some good seasons at Newcastle and was twice our Player of the Season in both 2011-2012 and 2012-2013, but he’s been in poor form these last two seasons and past his best.

One thing Newcastle will be doing is reducing the wage bill, but that should be fairly easy when we unload fringe players like Gabby Obertan, Sylvain Marveaux, Manu Riviere and others like Colo.

Tags: Contracts · Fabricio Coloccini · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

94 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:07 AM

I wonder if he’ll send us an “open” letter apologising for taking the pi $$ these last few years and being the worst captain in our history.

• 2 Jib // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:07 AM

Frenchy
    I know it’s pretty one dimensional and v stop/start but I quite like Ozzy Rools.
    It would be more for the atmos than the game itself

• 3 Jib // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:10 AM

I like it when the crowd shouts “how big is it ?”
    And the guy in the white coat and trilby goes “that big !”
    😀

• 4 sing in the corner // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:12 AM

The bottom line is he wants to go, we really need him to go, and hopefully he WILL GO. I suppose you can’t really blame him too much for accepting the inflated wages and an extension. And even he must have been surprised when he kept the captaincy. Time was up a while ago, time for him and the club to move on.

• 5 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:16 AM

Wonder if Jonas fancies another short spell at the toon. Would still be a very usefull championship player… just kidding, but with his attitude he would have been a ready made captain.

• 6 Ron Knee // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Messi goes up before the beak today:

• 7 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:19 AM

Gini is a class act and would be a great player in most sides, Macca destroyed him though, I can remember Gini saying whilst Macca was still here that when playing away from home they (the players) didn’t know what they were supposed to be doing, so how on earth could we expect him to prosper.
    Granted when Rafa came many did improve but Gini didn’t, however with the right management I am convinced that he would be a superb player, his strength on the ball and his ability to shrug players off when challenging him are great, sadly he never got to show that enough due to poor tactics which had us pinned back far too often, which isn’t ideal for an attacking player, I hope he stays but I doubt that he will as Rafa seems to prefer to have two defensive central midfielder’s and just the one attacking central midfielder, and he does seem to prefer Sissoko to Gini and realistically I doubt that we could keep both when in the championship so I expect Rafa to do all he can to keep Sissoko and then sacrifice Gini so he can then utilise the raised cash to strengthen elsewhere, as we do need strengthening elsewhere, possibly two right backs as Janmaat is dreadful but he is the only one we have unless he gets a straight replacement for him and is confident enough to have Mbabu as back up.
    We also need another commanding centre half, Lascellas could turn out to be a great centre half as could Mbemba but after those two we have nothing. both Taylor and Colo are past it, it could be argued “did they ever have it” Satko doesn’t appear to have progressed and Goode, always injured and in all honesty from the little I have seen of him he doesn’t live up to his name.

Left back, Dummett will be the first choice for quite a while I suspect and rightly so, we’ve seen the likes of Janmaat and Debuchy intentionally get sent off to escape the nightmare their opposing winger was giving them, that will not happen with Dummett for two very good reasons, he has a better mentality and he is two good a defender to have a mare to the extent that those two do have, give be solid defenders for full backs rather than these fancy dans who cannot defend all day long, Janmaat, Willens (who many want us to sign), Debuchy, Santon, Haidara no no no and no, give me a Dummett and a Danny Simpson equivalent and I will be delighted, they may not look pretty with suicidal runs forward but you always have a better team and get better results with those type of fullbacks.

Midfield, as stated I feel Gini will go as will De Jong, prehaps Cook from Leeds or Hughes from Derby as a replacement, defensively could be interesting, how will Rafa view Shelvey, will Tiote finally get his big payday, is Saivet still alive ? Anita, championship ?, in all honesty Colback for me is the only one who I feel is assured to be still here, could be a few changes there, then again there may be none.

Wingers, I hope and prey that we can keep Townsend and I equally hope and prey that Aarons stays fit, gets a run and proves that he is as good as I believe he could be ( Rashford has burst onto the seen and cemented a place in the England squad, I believe that Aarons has that ability), however is two enough, with Perez it possibly is, if we can manage to keep Perez of course.

Up front is a problem as well, I expect us to sign at least one proven, Cisse and Riviere I expect to be gone, Mitro, I love him but I’m not sure Rafa does, Armstrong ?, on the rare occasion he has had an outing for us he has looked like a fish out of water, could he take his league one performances into the Championship, the jury is out on that one, so just what will Rafa do ?.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:25 AM

sitc,
    I thought about that, about not blaming him for taking the new deal but for me it just shows what a shitehouse he is, the guy is a multi millionaire, if he was missing his family that much he could have quite easily gone back last year.

• 9 giimps // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:26 AM

Interesting that he’s paid the money back in 2013 but they still want blood, it would be typical of the system for him to be jailed for the audacity to minimise his tax burden yet Amazon and Costa etc have been doing it for decades ……..but they will have better lawyers and loophole finders

• 10 Jib // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Jail if you think Colo is the worst captain in NUFC history you haven’t been watching us very long.
    Roy Aitken was well past it – Scotty Parker was a shite captain – Jermaine Jenas also – as was Michael Owen (he sent a brochure plugging himself to other clubs when captain !)

The best of all however was Allardyce’s inspired appointment – Geremi !!!!

• 11 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Spoof

With Gini, it’s kind of up to him. If he bites the bullet and commits himself to repaying his part of the relegation debt, then he does deserve a second chance. But if he doesnt fancy it, or stays under a black cloud of wanting a big club move and not getting, then we would be better off without him

I totally agree with you on Dummet. He has never been totally dominated in a game by a winger and is defencively more sound than all our other fbs. Massively underated by many, including some on here.

• 12 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Jib

I’m fifty now, only just fifty mind, a week gone friday, and in all honesty Colo, if not the worst captain then he certainly has got be be very high on the all time worst captain list.

However when it comes to the most over-rated player list in our history then he along with Davide Santon have got to be number one and two, take your pick as too who was the most over-rated but both have been dreadful !!!

• 13 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Compare Dummett to Dani Alves. Newcastle are the 17th biggest club in the world. Dummett’s a decent 3rd-4th choice EPL centre back, and decent back up left back.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:35 AM

Jib,
    As was Shelvey and many others who stood in, this guy has been here for five years as captain and has overseen more 3+ defeats than any other captain in our history.

• 15 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:39 AM

I’m pretty convinced that had we held on to Santon and had Collocini available all season, and Rafa with us from the start we’d have finished top ten easy. They are both splendid footballers, admittedly though, not at all well suited to a relegation dogfight.

• 16 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:43 AM

YCMIU

In all honesty m8 I don’t think it is up to Gini, even if he wanted to stay I genuinely believe that Rafa would sell him anyway as he seems to prefer Sissoko, lets face a lot of fans, me being one of then did feel that due to how they were performing at the time ( not a reflection of how good/bad I feel they are, just at the time with there form) that both of them should have been dropped from the side, as it turned out one was dropped and the other was made captain, so to me it seems clear who Rafa prefers, having said that a full summer getting his own methods instilled into the team may see Rafa do the opposite, we don’t know, Shelvey is an interesting one, he was virtually outcast by Rafa, come he be sacrificed.

• 17 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:45 AM

jimmysmith

have you been on the pop bonny lad, lol

• 18 expatmag // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM

JIB

No mate. I dont follow Heart. They are now called Melbourne City after Heart were bought out by Manchester City. I follow Melbourne Victory instead.

As for AFL, I follow Collingwood who are probably the most popular team in Oz supporter wise. They play in black and white stripes and are nicknamed the magpies.

The MCG is an amazing stadium and I have been there msny times for all sorts of sport especially the AFL snd Ashes cricket.

I would advise any sports fan to experience the first day of an Ashes Bixing day test match at the “G”. One of the great sporting events in the world.

• 19 expatmag // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Boxing

• 20 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Spoof

I am not sure Rafas selection reflect all of his feelings on players. I think he looked at what was available in the short time he had, and selected the best (in his view) for the dogfight. I think we will see his true feelings on the players, and if they do or dont fit in with his plan, once he has a more settled period of training with him (it would have been hectic and full on in those last 10 games).

• 21 mindshaft // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:52 AM

@spoof – decent summary , Dummett is good defensively and is deceptively quick – his distribution could be better but he can defend

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Spoof,
    Can’t see Sissoko staying. I’d prefer of the two Gini to stay, and think Gini has the potential to far exceed Sissoko in effectiveness and ability for us. Still, I wouldn’t shed a tear if both left and were replaced by players who can perform to a good level consistently rather than performing very occasionally excellently, and 90% of the time anonymous or a waste of a shirt.

I do agree with Jail that the mentality of the squad would be far improved by removing Colo, Janmaat, Sissoko and less so Gini from the group.

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Anyway, if Rafa wants players who stay to have passion and commitment as well as quality then Sissoko, Janmaat, Gini and Colo might as well get the removal vans in now as none can hostly claim they have shown that whilst here. Colo maybe initially, but not in the latter years.

• 24 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Ha, no, I’m good, but if I had it wouldn’t alter the fact that Collocini has over 500 top flight first team games in England, Italy, and Spain, and 40 full Argentina caps, and Santon over 120 EPL and Serie A games for Inter Milan and Newcastle, as well as 8 full Italy caps, at 25, and of course Benitez’ record speaks for itself.

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:55 AM

*honestly

• 26 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 9:58 AM

YCMIU

Yes I totally agree with that, and it does make it interesting, Shelvey was an outcast, Sissoko was preferred to Gini, Cisse was preferred to Mitrovic, but as you say was that circumstance and could/will that change with a full pre-season, with Shelvey and Mitrovic I think it may, certainly with Shelvey but Rafa has always preferred a mobile striker rather than a target man so time will tell with Mitro, Armstrong who at first team level has done nowt may just get a chance, you never know, but I do think that Gini is gone !

• 27 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Spoof

This certainly the most everyone has had to talk about in a closed season for years. I am like an excited school kid, and i dont usually get this way over football!

• 28 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:05 AM

jimmysmith

stats can lie, after all most of the fans were desperate to get rid of Alan Pardew who was PL manager of the year, I could be wrong but to my knowledge neither Kevin Keegan nor Sir Bobby could boast that accolade, and don’t forget that Carlton Palmer was an England international, some things at times do defy belief lol

• 29 Jib // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:09 AM

I thought Colo did real well his first 2 years as captain – Kevin Nolan was a hard act to follow.
    It was the nonsense with the lass from Cramlington making him think about a return to San Lorenzo that screwed things up for him.

• 30 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:12 AM

OK you win. They are duds, and racked up all those games at the very highest level by hook, crook, smoke and mirrors. Frankly, the duds as far as I can tell, were Ashley, Charnley, Carr, Carver and McClaren. Dummett is solid enough though, not disputing that.

• 31 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:18 AM

I think Colo was undone by a few things, but not lack of ability. Two shit managers, and two half baked teams to play in, paramount among them, and the Cramlington lass of course, and the untimely injuries.

• 32 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Jib

I never saw that in Colo, doing ok I mean, all I saw was a slow, poor in the air, and weak in the tackle defender, he was cultured and if we were dominating a side he could bring the ball out of defence with grace and look a class act, but for me a defender is a defender and should be judged on his defending and for me he was always poor, his first season was a nightmare, his second in the championship he looked great but was that him or the poor opposition making him look good, as I say he was cultured and graceful when in control, but as soon as we got back up all I saw was the Colo of the first season, but that’s football, all about opinions !

• 33 Santon03 // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:22 AM

players out of contract : Barzagli (cb), Nagatomo (rb/lb), HBA, Caceres (rb,cb), Klose, Flamini, Vidic.

• 34 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:25 AM

jimmy

managers can and do make a difference, but with Colo in my eyes it was a lack of ability, he played in Italy and Spain, but no one wanted to keep him, even when he was lorded by some of our fans, even when making PL team of the season, not one club tried to poach him, why not, is it not possible that they were looking at the same Colo as I was rather than the Colo that so many fans were looking at !

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:29 AM

jimmy,
    Add that lot to a club policy of not wanting to win and you get a pretty poor mix.

• 36 sing in the corner // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:33 AM

I do think Colo gets more than his fair share of stick from sections of the support. But that’s what goes with the captaincy when the side has failed for an extended period, especially when you are a kind of laid back, quiet, shrug the shoulders type of guy. That just irritates. And Colo is past it now, and talk of what he did before the last couple of years (which isn’t all that much to write home about) is irrelevant now.

• 37 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Jail

sorry m8 but I disagree, obviously good managers and so on can and do help, but Cabaye thrived, as did Ba, Debuchy moved on to a bigger club but fell flat on his arse, Nolan was great as was Carroll, we arguably got the best out of Barton, we certainly did out of Enrique, has Perez suffered ?, so in fairness if they were good enough they would succeed.

• 38 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:40 AM

It fell apart for Colo when his family left. I can understand that having an impact on him personally, but in reality he was an ageing force, and was always going to regress as the seasons went on, and likely to start picking up niggles and injuries.

Still, the real fault for Colo’s increasingly more frequent poor displays lies with those in charge of the club for failing to improve the defence over the years.

• 39 Tsunki // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:42 AM

“Gasp……..got to get to the taxi….pufff….with these suitcases full of money…wheeeze….before Mike tries to…panttttt…offer me another contract….gasppppp..”

• 40 geordie157 // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Colo, Taylor, Cisse, Gouffran and Riviere will all hopefully go.

Followed by Janmaat and Krul (I think we have enough with Darlow/Elliot/Woodman). I do think either Sissoko or Gini will go, so for me let Sissoko go.

De Jong and Haidara are too injury prone so move them on if possible.

Tiote I’d keep but big wages and if a Chinese club want him then let him go.

Satka, Good, Ameobi, Bigi and Vuckic can all go, not good enough and again injury prone.

That just leaves Thauvin who everyone hates…..I actually say give him the pre-season if Rafa sees something he likes then a season in the championship might be the making of him.

Haven’t got a clue what to do with Saivet!!

So that leaves the keep list of..

GK
    Darlow, Elliot, Woodman

DF
    Mbabu, Sterry, Lascelles, Mbemba, Dummett

MF
    Colback, Shelvey, Anita, Saivet, Thauvin, Townsend, Aarons, Wijnaldum

ST
    Mitrovic, Perez, Armstrong

Bring in….

DF
    Lewis Dunk & Kortney Hause (CB)
    Charlie Taylor (LB)

MF
    Will Hughes, Lewis Cook (CM)

ST
    Ross McCormack

Maybe also
    Chris Solly (RB), Patrick Roberts (loan), Brit Assombolonga (ST)

• 41 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Spoof,
    Debuchy moved to a bigger club and picked up a serious injury. Most Arsenal fans raved about his first few performances before injury. He then came back, had a few good games before picking up another injury. Unfortunately his injury gave Bellerin a chance and Bellerin took it.

The fact it turned sour for him wasn’t because he fell flat on his ass, it was 2 unlucky and serious injuries.

• 42 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:47 AM

LG

If that’s the case then how can you explain his first season where Bassong had his only ever really genuine good season, and why has he only really excelled when we were in the Championship, and why even during what many perseive to be a good season for him, when we came fifth, study that season, we were great in defence until Taylor who at that time was good was carrying him, when Taylor got injured we conceded shit loads, the carthorse Clint Dempsey out sprinted him for one of Fulhams five, Spurs five was an even worse display for him, signing Cisse and bringing Ben Arfa in put us on the front foot, and as I’ve always said when not under pressure he does look cultured, but he has always been dreadful.

• 43 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Geordie157,
    Roberts is at Celtic. The only way that will end is if we bought him, and City won’t sell I wouldn’t have thought, and he would cost a fortune if they did.

• 44 geordie157 // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Good point I forgot Roberts had gone there!

I actually can’t think of many young wingers we could sign

• 45 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:56 AM

LG

same question about Debuchy as I asked earlier about Colo, if it is all down to bad luck then why has no other club been able to see this and try to take Debuchy off Arsenal’s hands and why when he was suposed to be good did no one try to poach Colo from us, come on, in the player of the season team yet not a solitary top side batted an eye lid, that tells you all you need to know, that being that he was never a good player.

• 46 SPRINGY // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Morning all
    keeping gini should only be done if we have a position he can play regular and dominate,he’s played left,dm,att mid,and cm last season and has’nt really shone in any of them for any great length of time…yes he chipped in with goals but he never looked comfortable in any of these positions.
    i maybe wrong but i believe he played right of a 3 man midfield for psv,which is where he made his name and reputation….he has looked like he’s been shoe horned into positions just to get him on the pitch no matter how he’s performed which is’nt good enough….play him in a right position or sell him and buy players who can,or give players the chance to play in those positions,like aarons,saivet,de jong.

• 47 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Spoof,
    Taylor played just 14 games that season, Colo 35. How on earth did Taylor carry him? More clean sheets per game after Taylor went out of the team. You pick out 2 games where we conceded 5, but he is hardly solely to blame for those is he.

Player of the season on here twice someone said yesterday, that would suggest he hasn’t always been dreadful.

Anyway, got to go now.

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Spoof,
    Disagree with what? I don’t think there is any question over his ability a few years ago. I just added another ingredient into Jimmy’s mix. All the players you mentioned left before or when it became obvious that winning was not part of the plan. I don’t know what Perez has got to do with anything, he has had as many good and poor games as Collo since arriving on the scene.

• 49 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 2, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Spoof,
    Maybe the injuries affected him longer term? They can do that, particularly ligament damage which was one of them.

Maybe nobody batted an eyelid because we came 5th and they didn’t think he was available as any normal club would look to build on that. In the Team of the season, but always dreadful…..

• 50 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:00 AM

All players have their weaknesses exposed from time to time. Collo did have the odd inexplicably bad game here and there though, and I suspect that’s the main reason he was never really pursued by a senior English club. He wouldn’t have looked out of place in a Wenger side though.

• 51 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:03 AM

LG

It was the first 14 games where we got the reputation of being a solid and good defence, when Taylor got injured the defence went pear shaped, a different and more adverurous tactic was employed which brought the season back on tract, if that is not carrying then what exactly is it.

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Spoof,
    We paid 10.5M pounds for him, his peak value, they would not sell him for less and nobody thought he was worth more than that, not being considered worth more than 10.5M does not make you a poor player.

• 53 SPRINGY // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:04 AM

colo is’nt good enough to be playing every week,and to proud to be back up so he’ll probably leave,it would’nt surprise me if taylor is offered a years contract as cover and we start with lascelles and another,maybe mbemba.

• 54 Tsunki // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Lilo – Debuchy arrived at arsenal racing about the superior training and medical facilities. Ironic that he became a serial crock after leaving our substandard setup where he was surprisingly ever present.

Spoof – I believe there’s a good bit of rumour that Coloccini did actually reach a height where he was approached by a major European club, I think Spanish, but turned it down.

• 55 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:06 AM

LG

If Pardew can be manager of the season but always have been dreadful, then Colo can also be in the team of the season and also be dreadful, swings and round-a-bouts.

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Spoof,
    You’re letting sentiment get on the way, we seriously rode our luck in that run, we had a right sided midfielder at LB, QPR should have had about ten against us.

• 57 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Pardew earned that Manager of the Year award. Fifth was an outstanding achievement by him and the side. We had some luck, but that’s part and parcel of the game. Pardew was never dreadful. He picked sides, and set up teams as best he could to gather as many points with the players we had. He’s no Benitez, that’s clear enough, but far from dreadful. His record in derbies is dreadful though, no point in denying that.

• 58 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Jail

yes £10.5m we paid and why was Kevin Keegan so agitated by this purchase, was it because he failed to see just what a fantastic centre half he was or was it because he knew it was a hugely inflated price for an average centre half.

Tsunki,

I have another rumour for you, next week we are going to sign Messi and Ronaldo but both will be reserves as Shola is going to make a comeback for us, that’s rumours for you !

• 59 SPRINGY // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:15 AM

has mbemba made any statements about staying/going?…its looking like lascelles and dummett are pretty much certain to start in the back four,dummett left back.

• 60 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Jail

I’m not really, it’s just that so many respond about Colo due to getting into the player of the season team, I’m only using Pardew as manager of the season to suggest that these occurances can happen, as I mentioned earlier Carlton Palmer is an England international, but does that make him a good player !

• 61 SPRINGY // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:19 AM

the league doe’snt lie and u get what u deserve,when we finished 5th we deserved it,same as when we were relegated both times,there were some heavy defeats when we finished 5th but we deserved that place.

• 62 Ron Knee // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Debuchy will be returning to Arsenal after a loan spell at Bordeaux.

• 63 jayphoto // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Problem with Coloccini is we don’t know him, he rarely speaks, he’s quiet on the field etc which can give the impression he’s not a commited captain.
    Not a pardew fan, but the fact Pardew wanted him down at Palace after 5 years of managing him at Newcastle says a lot… didn’t see him coming in for Williamson etc
    He was captain under a few managers too, I’d hazard a guess he’s quite an influential personality behind the scenes who commands a lot of respect. Not all leaders scream and shout the whole time!
    He needs to go, his time has passed but he has had good seasons with us! Even this season, when he’s on form he can look world class, the season we finished 5th he was excellent. I’d suggest he’s always been a CB that would be more suited playing in a team that attacks more than defends and has more possession. He’s hardly been surrounded by top defenders here too which exposed him a bit. Years of playing alongside fullbacks that can’t defend and next to Williamson and Taylor.
    If I look at defenders we’ve had in the last 10 years, I’d argue Coloccini is the best we’ve had. I mean, Fitz Hall? Claudio Cacapa? David Rozenhal? A 50 year old sol Campbell…

• 64 hibbitt // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Jimmysmith
    how was fifth an outstanding achievement by pardue with the quality of players you seem to think we have ?

• 65 jayphoto // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Didn’t Coloccini make premier league team of the season 1 year too? When we finished 5th I think…
    Like I said, he has to go, he doesn’t warrant his wage, or his place but he has been a good player for us in the past! Also, for me, I can get past the fact that he tried to move back to San Lorenzo. He would have been on a 10th of the money there, he wanted a move for personal reasons not monetary gain. We all respect the hell out of shearer for making a similar move when he could have gone anywhere in Europe and won trophy after trophy on higher wages.

• 66 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Spoof, I’m no fan of Collo at all but he is simply not as poor as you’re making out. 40 international caps for a top six international team proves you are good.

• 67 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:34 AM

had.

We’ve never had a group you would imagine should finish fifth.

I think Benitez would have gotten this group into the top half, if he’d been at the club from the start, had Collocini available, and a genuine EPL left back. That’s all I’ve said.

• 68 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:41 AM

jayphoto

granted some of his defensive partners were poor, Mbiwa, Santon amongst others, but does Colo bring the best out of them, Simpson left to become a PL title winner, to be honest I do agree with you, the majority of our defenders in Colo’s time here have been poor, but so has he, I honestly cannot see why he gets viewed differently, outsprinted by Dempsey, out-muscled by Agbonlahor, and his habit of turning his back when an opponent was preparing to take a shot was cringe worthy, that habit is what started the West Brom fight back in our first season back up when it finished 3-3 when we were 3-0 up, it was him who allowed them back into that game due to that habit which allowed the sad lot to finish above us, but he has been doing that all his career

• 69 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:43 AM

jayphoto

thats right he did, the same season that Pardew was manager of the season, can these selection committees be wrong !

• 70 jayphoto // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Actually think Coloccini would be well worth having around next season. The Championship is a drop in class to the EPL, and he would be good enough for it. It’s also nowhere near as physical as people make out!
    The reasons for letting him go though probably outweigh the positives though
    1) He probably won’t be ahead of lascelles and mbemba. 65k p/w is a lot for a 3rd choice CB.
    2) He won’t be captain. Never good to strip someone of the captaincy when they have done it so long but keep them at the club.

Benitez has shown a preference to younger defenders that he can coach to defend how he wants at his other clubs, think we’ll see that with Mbemba and Lascelles. He’s not afraid of inexperience if a player is taking onboard the instructions and coaching

• 71 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Jail

again that is just stats which prove nothing really, look at Steve Bruce as a player he was great but never got an England cap as we had better at the time, but looking at our England centre halves now it would clearly be a case of who partners Bruce as he was twice the centre half of any of our current lot.

• 72 Hail Wor Ashley // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Can’t believe some people are still talking in terms of “this group of players should place here, those should finish there.”. If you didn’t notice Leicester just won the PL out of nowhere, Chelsea barely made the top half and we were relegated.

So defeatist.

Like Steve Bruce earlier in the week saying how British managers have a ceiling. Well maybe if they could get beyond viewing slowly developing clubs over the period of 5 years into just solid PL clubs and then becoming stagnant as success, maybe they’d get a shot at a big club, or better yet, transform their current club into consistent contenders.

Rigid mindsets about hierarchy and glass ceilings that certain clubs and British managers can’t get beyond is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• 73 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:53 AM

The best argument for keeping Collo for one more season is that you would be releasing him just as we have regained our EPL place, assuming, and that would make it easier to attract the right quality.

By the same rationale, you might also offer Taylor another year. That gives you Mbemba, Lascelles, Collo, Taylor and Dummett to cover CB in the Championship under Benitez, and Mbemba, Lascelles and Dummet on the books to come back up with, and two open slots to fill at just the right time.

• 74 SPRINGY // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:54 AM

we need to get the cb’s sorted so they learn how play together,time to gel,thinking long term they might make a few bollicks but rather do it next season at a lower level while learning to play together then bring in fresh face if we get promoted and have to watch them drop bollicks whilst trying to adjust to the premier….like i say if promoted.

• 75 WWSBRD // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Ah Colo the man who could of been king

He will leave a season or two too late imo he tainted his own legacy with us. I wont miss him and I would bet Rafa can bring in someone who will out shine him

Am quite surprised Ive not seen Skrtels name crop up on here as suggested replacement

• 76 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:54 AM

jimmysmith

yeah and that’s fine, it’s all about opinions and in my opinion having Colo and Santon would be a huge step backwards as for me they are both very poor, a Dummett and Simpson replica for me would be great as I feel that both are not flash but good at defending which for me is what is vital for a full back, I am not big on this wing back role where a full back has got to be almost a winger, a winger should be a winger, not a full back, then again it could just be me showing my age.

• 77 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Hail

where did that come from ?

• 78 Jack Root // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:00 PM

Jimmy
    I agree with much of what you say and your opinions are refreshing. Coloccini was a talented Centre Back and historically that has been recognised by the astute football discerning types, as you have outlined. He was also selected in a Premier League Team of the season, I think when we finished 5th. We haven’t hit too many high spots in recent times but how fickle the average football fan is. Your comments on Pardew I also share because the season before last he left us with a points cushion to the bottom three built up in the first half of the season. Ashley reneged on a financial promise to Coloccini allegedly, during the season we did escape relegation which whilst not excusing his behaviour maybe goes some way to explaining his lack of commitment.
    A major factor in our complacency in securing a balanced squad has been the drive through our recruitment for resale value. In part that’s why we’ve struggled to secure defensive quality and numbers to an often injury ravaged squad. Statistically last season we had more injured players and for longer periods than any other Premier club.

Having come perilously close to relegation last summer we secured only one centre back and no proven goalscorer. At the same time we’ve filled the squad season after season with poor, injured and often inadequate midfielders whilst not addressing the glaringly obvious deficiencies in the squad.
    Clearly there was a dereliction of duty on the part of the board which was hardly conducive to good morale particularly of long serving players like our captain. His form in recent seasons has fallen away but he should be treated with respect and long service justifies sympathetic consideration. That applies at the majority of the well run clubs. John Terry being a good example.
    On Santon he would and has played well in better sides but to utilise his attacking flair in a side that doesn’t defend well was always a tall order. Simpson at Leicester is a good example, he defends well but is poor offensively. Let’s not forget that Mourinho spoke highly of Santon’s attacking talents. Successive managers had not got the best out of him and let’s not decry him, for he was an obvious talent.

• 79 Hail Wor Ashley // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:00 PM

Spoof

Just a general observation about the mentality of a lot of football fans, pundits, managers.

• 80 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Squirtle played 22 times for liverpool this season. Not sure he would.feel ready to drop a league, even for rafa.

• 81 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:08 PM

I’m older than you. It is all opinions, and that’s a good thing. I like defenders that are good on the ball, but you’re in good company. Ferguson liked CB’s that first and foremost cleared their lines, and I don’t disagree that’a good thing. The two Leicester lads did just that this season. Fullback is different I think. You do ideally want a player who’s good going both ways. Collo had different qualities to Vidic, but he was still a quality EPL CB over the course of his Newcastle career in my opinion.

• 82 WWSBRD // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:08 PM

YCMIU
    Only real link Ive seen to him are the the Brough who arent exactly the biggest hitters in the land. Plus shy bairns get nowt

• 83 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Hail

fair enough, just the main topic was Colo and his career, it just seemed a bit out of place, but as far as British managers go, apart from Alex Ferguson of course you can understand why owners are reluctant to employ them, Hughes at Man City, Moyes, Rodgers, they have all had opportunities but never taken them, our current crop of English players seem to be able to compete with our continental counterparts, well apart from our defence they seem to be, so perhaps our current managers are just the one era behind and the future may be better.

• 84 Essex Geordie Bill // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Seeing Williamson mentioned made me think if we’d have kept him we’d have stayed up. Providing he was playing instead of Taylor.

• 85 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Ww

Not saying I wouldn’t like him here, mind. Worth a try at least, as you say, shy bairns get nowt, but at 31, he might not want to ‘waste’ a season, as he will start to decline in condition in a couple of years (youd think).

• 86 Jack Root // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:15 PM

I was furious during the past season to see the way Martinez was messing around with John Stones game. For me he’s the best English CB since Rio.

• 87 Essex Geordie Bill // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Pity we didn’t have a ‘stagnagator’ like Wenger.

• 88 Jack Root // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:18 PM

I like the hard though shall not pass types too. Wasn’t McNamee the name in your golden era playing CB and taking no prisoners whilst Jinky Jimmy was weaving his magic.

• 89 Spoof // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Jack Root

Jose may have spoke highly about him, but he has made no attempt to sign him, say’s it all really, a bit like saying that a player is not for sale at any cost “unless it’s an irresistible offer”!!!!!, in other words complete tosh !

• 90 Jack Root // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Tony Green or Jimmy Smith?

• 91 Jack Root // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:22 PM

One of us has to work for a living !
    Until the next time. Keep on keeping on here.

• 92 Jack Root // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Spoof
    What a cynical view. What types do you mix with. Look into their eyes and see the truth.

• 93 Jack Root // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Spoof
    You will be telling me next that Sport Psychologists are a waste of space, time and money!

• 94 jimmysmith // Jun 2, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Jack, Jimmy Smith was my Dad’s favourite player from the first Newcastle team I became aware of, and was a real fan favourite. My first toon top had his name on the back. Very skilful, a little dirty, had a great look and a terrific name for a footballer, didn’t always fancy running about much though, I believe. Only ever saw him in grainy black and white on the telly. Green by all accounts had it all, and could have been anything, but I have only seen youtube highlights, so short was his Newcastle career, but which are indeed most impressive. Used to have a coach that played alongside Souness at Boro, and he said Green was the best player he ever faced.

previous post: Benitez Wants Only These Players To Stay At Newcastle