Newcastle Will Definitely Let This Star Player Leave In Summer

It looks like it’s almost certain that Fabricio Coloccini has already played his last game for Newcastle – that 5-1 disgrace at Chelsea on February 13th – when the squad was then whisked away for a one week holiday in the south of Spain with promises from the head coach that everything would be OK when they returned.

They weren’t and we lost 1-0 at Stoke, after going all out for a 0-0 draw from the very first whistle – and then we lost 3-1 at home to Bournemouth.

Owner Mike Ashley had had enough and told Lee Charnley – who was said to be dithering again – to go out and get Rafa Benitez to Newcastle.

fabricio coloccini

Fabricio Coloccini – will definitely leave this summer

Fabricio did the very difficult thing of injuring himself in the warm-down after the 2-1 win against Lillestrom on February 20th, but the initial diagnosis was that he could make the Stoke game.

In truth he didn’t play again all season, which puts a question mark against the medical department about their initial prognosis – but he did injure the calf again once Rafa had arrived at the club.

Fabricio was foolishly given a one year extension by Steve McClaren last summer.

But it’s a good time for the now 34 year-old to leave the club with Rafa Benitez building a new side and likely to bring in at least one new center-back this summer.

We have been linked with 24 year-old Steven Caulker of QPR, although he has also been approached by some middle of the table clubs in the Premier League like West Brom.

Maybe he’ll prefer to go to one of those clubs this summer?

But it’s almost certain that Newcastle will allow Fabricio to leave and join San Lorenzo if only to get his £65K/week wages off the wage bill.

Colo conveniently announced a couple of days ago in Argentina that it was his desire to join San Lorenzo, to be with his children who now reside in Buenos Aries.

Colo had some good seasons at Newcastle and was twice our Player of the Season in both 2011-2012 and 2012-2013, but he’s been in poor form these last two seasons and past his best.

One thing Newcastle will be doing is reducing the wage bill, but that should be fairly easy when we unload fringe players like Gabby Obertan, Sylvain Marveaux, Manu Riviere and others like Colo.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:07 AM

I wonder if he’ll send us an “open” letter apologising for taking the pi $$ these last few years and being the worst captain in our history.

• Jib

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:07 AM

Frenchy
    I know it’s pretty one dimensional and v stop/start but I quite like Ozzy Rools.
    It would be more for the atmos than the game itself

• Jib

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:10 AM

I like it when the crowd shouts “how big is it ?”
    And the guy in the white coat and trilby goes “that big !”
    😀

• sing in the corner

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:12 AM

The bottom line is he wants to go, we really need him to go, and hopefully he WILL GO. I suppose you can’t really blame him too much for accepting the inflated wages and an extension. And even he must have been surprised when he kept the captaincy. Time was up a while ago, time for him and the club to move on.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:16 AM

Wonder if Jonas fancies another short spell at the toon. Would still be a very usefull championship player… just kidding, but with his attitude he would have been a ready made captain.

• Ron Knee

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Messi goes up before the beak today:

• Spoof

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:19 AM

Gini is a class act and would be a great player in most sides, Macca destroyed him though, I can remember Gini saying whilst Macca was still here that when playing away from home they (the players) didn’t know what they were supposed to be doing, so how on earth could we expect him to prosper.
    Granted when Rafa came many did improve but Gini didn’t, however with the right management I am convinced that he would be a superb player, his strength on the ball and his ability to shrug players off when challenging him are great, sadly he never got to show that enough due to poor tactics which had us pinned back far too often, which isn’t ideal for an attacking player, I hope he stays but I doubt that he will as Rafa seems to prefer to have two defensive central midfielder’s and just the one attacking central midfielder, and he does seem to prefer Sissoko to Gini and realistically I doubt that we could keep both when in the championship so I expect Rafa to do all he can to keep Sissoko and then sacrifice Gini so he can then utilise the raised cash to strengthen elsewhere, as we do need strengthening elsewhere, possibly two right backs as Janmaat is dreadful but he is the only one we have unless he gets a straight replacement for him and is confident enough to have Mbabu as back up.
    We also need another commanding centre half, Lascellas could turn out to be a great centre half as could Mbemba but after those two we have nothing. both Taylor and Colo are past it, it could be argued “did they ever have it” Satko doesn’t appear to have progressed and Goode, always injured and in all honesty from the little I have seen of him he doesn’t live up to his name.

Left back, Dummett will be the first choice for quite a while I suspect and rightly so, we’ve seen the likes of Janmaat and Debuchy intentionally get sent off to escape the nightmare their opposing winger was giving them, that will not happen with Dummett for two very good reasons, he has a better mentality and he is two good a defender to have a mare to the extent that those two do have, give be solid defenders for full backs rather than these fancy dans who cannot defend all day long, Janmaat, Willens (who many want us to sign), Debuchy, Santon, Haidara no no no and no, give me a Dummett and a Danny Simpson equivalent and I will be delighted, they may not look pretty with suicidal runs forward but you always have a better team and get better results with those type of fullbacks.

Midfield, as stated I feel Gini will go as will De Jong, prehaps Cook from Leeds or Hughes from Derby as a replacement, defensively could be interesting, how will Rafa view Shelvey, will Tiote finally get his big payday, is Saivet still alive ? Anita, championship ?, in all honesty Colback for me is the only one who I feel is assured to be still here, could be a few changes there, then again there may be none.

Wingers, I hope and prey that we can keep Townsend and I equally hope and prey that Aarons stays fit, gets a run and proves that he is as good as I believe he could be ( Rashford has burst onto the seen and cemented a place in the England squad, I believe that Aarons has that ability), however is two enough, with Perez it possibly is, if we can manage to keep Perez of course.

Up front is a problem as well, I expect us to sign at least one proven, Cisse and Riviere I expect to be gone, Mitro, I love him but I’m not sure Rafa does, Armstrong ?, on the rare occasion he has had an outing for us he has looked like a fish out of water, could he take his league one performances into the Championship, the jury is out on that one, so just what will Rafa do ?.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:25 AM

sitc,
    I thought about that, about not blaming him for taking the new deal but for me it just shows what a shitehouse he is, the guy is a multi millionaire, if he was missing his family that much he could have quite easily gone back last year.

• giimps

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:26 AM

Interesting that he’s paid the money back in 2013 but they still want blood, it would be typical of the system for him to be jailed for the audacity to minimise his tax burden yet Amazon and Costa etc have been doing it for decades ……..but they will have better lawyers and loophole finders

• Jib

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Jail if you think Colo is the worst captain in NUFC history you haven’t been watching us very long.
    Roy Aitken was well past it – Scotty Parker was a shite captain – Jermaine Jenas also – as was Michael Owen (he sent a brochure plugging himself to other clubs when captain !)

The best of all however was Allardyce’s inspired appointment – Geremi !!!!

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Spoof

With Gini, it’s kind of up to him. If he bites the bullet and commits himself to repaying his part of the relegation debt, then he does deserve a second chance. But if he doesnt fancy it, or stays under a black cloud of wanting a big club move and not getting, then we would be better off without him

I totally agree with you on Dummet. He has never been totally dominated in a game by a winger and is defencively more sound than all our other fbs. Massively underated by many, including some on here.

• Spoof

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Jib

I’m fifty now, only just fifty mind, a week gone friday, and in all honesty Colo, if not the worst captain then he certainly has got be be very high on the all time worst captain list.

However when it comes to the most over-rated player list in our history then he along with Davide Santon have got to be number one and two, take your pick as too who was the most over-rated but both have been dreadful !!!

• jimmysmith

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Compare Dummett to Dani Alves. Newcastle are the 17th biggest club in the world. Dummett’s a decent 3rd-4th choice EPL centre back, and decent back up left back.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:35 AM

Jib,
    As was Shelvey and many others who stood in, this guy has been here for five years as captain and has overseen more 3+ defeats than any other captain in our history.

• jimmysmith

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:39 AM

I’m pretty convinced that had we held on to Santon and had Collocini available all season, and Rafa with us from the start we’d have finished top ten easy. They are both splendid footballers, admittedly though, not at all well suited to a relegation dogfight.

• Spoof

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:43 AM

YCMIU

In all honesty m8 I don’t think it is up to Gini, even if he wanted to stay I genuinely believe that Rafa would sell him anyway as he seems to prefer Sissoko, lets face a lot of fans, me being one of then did feel that due to how they were performing at the time ( not a reflection of how good/bad I feel they are, just at the time with there form) that both of them should have been dropped from the side, as it turned out one was dropped and the other was made captain, so to me it seems clear who Rafa prefers, having said that a full summer getting his own methods instilled into the team may see Rafa do the opposite, we don’t know, Shelvey is an interesting one, he was virtually outcast by Rafa, come he be sacrificed.

• Spoof

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:45 AM

jimmysmith

have you been on the pop bonny lad, lol

• expatmag

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM

JIB

No mate. I dont follow Heart. They are now called Melbourne City after Heart were bought out by Manchester City. I follow Melbourne Victory instead.

As for AFL, I follow Collingwood who are probably the most popular team in Oz supporter wise. They play in black and white stripes and are nicknamed the magpies.

The MCG is an amazing stadium and I have been there msny times for all sorts of sport especially the AFL snd Ashes cricket.

I would advise any sports fan to experience the first day of an Ashes Bixing day test match at the “G”. One of the great sporting events in the world.

• expatmag

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Boxing

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Spoof

I am not sure Rafas selection reflect all of his feelings on players. I think he looked at what was available in the short time he had, and selected the best (in his view) for the dogfight. I think we will see his true feelings on the players, and if they do or dont fit in with his plan, once he has a more settled period of training with him (it would have been hectic and full on in those last 10 games).

• mindshaft

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:52 AM

@spoof – decent summary , Dummett is good defensively and is deceptively quick – his distribution could be better but he can defend

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Spoof,
    Can’t see Sissoko staying. I’d prefer of the two Gini to stay, and think Gini has the potential to far exceed Sissoko in effectiveness and ability for us. Still, I wouldn’t shed a tear if both left and were replaced by players who can perform to a good level consistently rather than performing very occasionally excellently, and 90% of the time anonymous or a waste of a shirt.

I do agree with Jail that the mentality of the squad would be far improved by removing Colo, Janmaat, Sissoko and less so Gini from the group.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Anyway, if Rafa wants players who stay to have passion and commitment as well as quality then Sissoko, Janmaat, Gini and Colo might as well get the removal vans in now as none can hostly claim they have shown that whilst here. Colo maybe initially, but not in the latter years.

• jimmysmith

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Ha, no, I’m good, but if I had it wouldn’t alter the fact that Collocini has over 500 top flight first team games in England, Italy, and Spain, and 40 full Argentina caps, and Santon over 120 EPL and Serie A games for Inter Milan and Newcastle, as well as 8 full Italy caps, at 25, and of course Benitez’ record speaks for itself.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:55 AM

*honestly

• Spoof

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:58 AM

YCMIU

Yes I totally agree with that, and it does make it interesting, Shelvey was an outcast, Sissoko was preferred to Gini, Cisse was preferred to Mitrovic, but as you say was that circumstance and could/will that change with a full pre-season, with Shelvey and Mitrovic I think it may, certainly with Shelvey but Rafa has always preferred a mobile striker rather than a target man so time will tell with Mitro, Armstrong who at first team level has done nowt may just get a chance, you never know, but I do think that Gini is gone !

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Spoof

This certainly the most everyone has had to talk about in a closed season for years. I am like an excited school kid, and i dont usually get this way over football!

• Spoof

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:05 AM

jimmysmith

stats can lie, after all most of the fans were desperate to get rid of Alan Pardew who was PL manager of the year, I could be wrong but to my knowledge neither Kevin Keegan nor Sir Bobby could boast that accolade, and don’t forget that Carlton Palmer was an England international, some things at times do defy belief lol

• Jib

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:09 AM

I thought Colo did real well his first 2 years as captain – Kevin Nolan was a hard act to follow.
    It was the nonsense with the lass from Cramlington making him think about a return to San Lorenzo that screwed things up for him.

• jimmysmith

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:12 AM

OK you win. They are duds, and racked up all those games at the very highest level by hook, crook, smoke and mirrors. Frankly, the duds as far as I can tell, were Ashley, Charnley, Carr, Carver and McClaren. Dummett is solid enough though, not disputing that.

• jimmysmith

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:18 AM

I think Colo was undone by a few things, but not lack of ability. Two shit managers, and two half baked teams to play in, paramount among them, and the Cramlington lass of course, and the untimely injuries.

• Spoof

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Jib

I never saw that in Colo, doing ok I mean, all I saw was a slow, poor in the air, and weak in the tackle defender, he was cultured and if we were dominating a side he could bring the ball out of defence with grace and look a class act, but for me a defender is a defender and should be judged on his defending and for me he was always poor, his first season was a nightmare, his second in the championship he looked great but was that him or the poor opposition making him look good, as I say he was cultured and graceful when in control, but as soon as we got back up all I saw was the Colo of the first season, but that’s football, all about opinions !

• Santon03

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:22 AM

players out of contract : Barzagli (cb), Nagatomo (rb/lb), HBA, Caceres (rb,cb), Klose, Flamini, Vidic.

• Spoof

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:25 AM

jimmy

managers can and do make a difference, but with Colo in my eyes it was a lack of ability, he played in Italy and Spain, but no one wanted to keep him, even when he was lorded by some of our fans, even when making PL team of the season, not one club tried to poach him, why not, is it not possible that they were looking at the same Colo as I was rather than the Colo that so many fans were looking at !

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:29 AM

jimmy,
    Add that lot to a club policy of not wanting to win and you get a pretty poor mix.

• sing in the corner

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:33 AM

I do think Colo gets more than his fair share of stick from sections of the support. But that’s what goes with the captaincy when the side has failed for an extended period, especially when you are a kind of laid back, quiet, shrug the shoulders type of guy. That just irritates. And Colo is past it now, and talk of what he did before the last couple of years (which isn’t all that much to write home about) is irrelevant now.

• Spoof

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Jail

sorry m8 but I disagree, obviously good managers and so on can and do help, but Cabaye thrived, as did Ba, Debuchy moved on to a bigger club but fell flat on his arse, Nolan was great as was Carroll, we arguably got the best out of Barton, we certainly did out of Enrique, has Perez suffered ?, so in fairness if they were good enough they would succeed.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:40 AM

It fell apart for Colo when his family left. I can understand that having an impact on him personally, but in reality he was an ageing force, and was always going to regress as the seasons went on, and likely to start picking up niggles and injuries.

Still, the real fault for Colo’s increasingly more frequent poor displays lies with those in charge of the club for failing to improve the defence over the years.

• Tsunki

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:42 AM

“Gasp……..got to get to the taxi….pufff….with these suitcases full of money…wheeeze….before Mike tries to…panttttt…offer me another contract….gasppppp..”

• geordie157

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Colo, Taylor, Cisse, Gouffran and Riviere will all hopefully go.

Followed by Janmaat and Krul (I think we have enough with Darlow/Elliot/Woodman). I do think either Sissoko or Gini will go, so for me let Sissoko go.

De Jong and Haidara are too injury prone so move them on if possible.

Tiote I’d keep but big wages and if a Chinese club want him then let him go.

Satka, Good, Ameobi, Bigi and Vuckic can all go, not good enough and again injury prone.

That just leaves Thauvin who everyone hates…..I actually say give him the pre-season if Rafa sees something he likes then a season in the championship might be the making of him.

Haven’t got a clue what to do with Saivet!!

So that leaves the keep list of..

GK
    Darlow, Elliot, Woodman

DF
    Mbabu, Sterry, Lascelles, Mbemba, Dummett

MF
    Colback, Shelvey, Anita, Saivet, Thauvin, Townsend, Aarons, Wijnaldum

ST
    Mitrovic, Perez, Armstrong

Bring in….

DF
    Lewis Dunk & Kortney Hause (CB)
    Charlie Taylor (LB)

MF
    Will Hughes, Lewis Cook (CM)

ST
    Ross McCormack

Maybe also
    Chris Solly (RB), Patrick Roberts (loan), Brit Assombolonga (ST)