The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

In Demand Newcastle Goalkeeper Hints He Will Stay

8:18 am, Friday, June 3rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

England U-19 International goalkeeper Freddie Woodman is a terrific young goalkeeper and he started the season on loan at Crawley Town and was playing well and getting some valuable first team experience.

But then Tim Krul was injured in October playing for the Netherlands and Freddie was recalled from his loan move.

Then when Rob was also injured in late March, also playing for his country, Freddie managed to get on the bench for the last eight games of the season as Karl Darlow came in and performed admirably in the Newcastle goal.

freddie woodman in action at Newport

Freddie Woodman – while on loan at Crawley Town

Freddie is currently fourth-choice goalkeeper behind Krul, Karl Darlow and Rob Elliot – but he’s still young of course and it will be important he gets first team games this season on loan.

This is what the youngster has said today about what happened last season:

“It’s a difficult time for the club and a difficult time for myself.”

“I haven’t got as much game-time as I’d have liked this season, and it’s something I’ll have to look at and see if I can get out on loan.”

“It’s a tough time, but I’m sure the club will bounce back.”

Woodman played really well during his time at Crawley Town for the first two months of last season and played 12 games in total and during pre-season in America last summer he also looked the part in the Newcastle goal.

His contract runs out at the end of this month, and we would expect him to be given a new deal, but from what Freddie says he seems to have no plans to leave Newcastle.

Some big clubs have been reported as being interested in the very promising young England goalkeeper, but we need to keep Freddie at Newcastle.

Crystal Palace boss Alan Pardew is also interested in Tim, but Alan seems to be interested in a lot of Newcastle players –  and Freddie’s father Andy is the goalkeeping coach at Palace.

When Tim and Rob are fully fit again it’s going to be interesting to see which of the goalkeepers becomes Newcastle’s number one choice.

Who Is Newcastle's Best Goalkeeper?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Freddie Woodman · Karl Darlow · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot · Tim Krul

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 jimmysmith // Jun 3, 2016 at 8:26 AM

Ed, you surely recognise there’s no incentive at all for anyone to “kick things off”, when their doubtless very well considered missives will only be obscured by “Hot Celebs on the Beach” et al.

• 2 jimmysmith // Jun 3, 2016 at 8:27 AM

……..and of course mine isn’t. You!!!!

• 3 jimmysmith // Jun 3, 2016 at 8:30 AM

……..and now it is. Yoi!

• 4 Jib // Jun 3, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Jimmysmith
    Do this
    😀

• 5 jimmysmith // Jun 3, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Ever resourceful Jib.

• 6 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 3, 2016 at 8:40 AM

We need to try our best to get this lad tied down to a contract and then loan him out !Could be a potential superstar keeper in a few seasons!!

No doubt his father will be getting him to try and move down to Palace but he could be sacked this season if they go on another bad run

• 7 jimmysmith // Jun 3, 2016 at 8:43 AM

3% of readers think Freddie Woodman is our best keeper. Hahaha! Very good.

• 8 expatmag // Jun 3, 2016 at 8:50 AM

I thought he was out of contract

• 9 G // Jun 3, 2016 at 8:56 AM

@8, at the end of this month he is.

• 10 Jack Root // Jun 3, 2016 at 9:35 AM

BandB
    You have a fine record of posting on here and I see that you have acted as a carer for the few loose cannon types. It certainly is not my intention to disrespect you. But I do not want to face the sort of unfair onslaught that accompanies my posts. It is time consuming and repetitive and usually from a few misguided individuals. My intention is to post on football as I did yesterday with Jinky Jimmy. Even BDM followed up with his McNamee story which painted a picture in my mind.

The majority of NUFC fans are elated that the world respected Rafa Benitez has taken on the task of turning us into a proper football club. Given time I think he will make this club successful. He’s certainly the best appointment we’ve made in more than 15 years, since Sir Bobby Robson . Our relegation almost seems an irrelevance. Going down just means that Rafa starts his long term project from a lower baseline. I cannot remember a time when I am so optimistic as to the development of the club.

However whilst your friend is genuinely elated at Benitez’s presence he cannot resist by his very nature portraying the very worst when looking backwards. He seems to harp on by suggesting that he hopes MA will not cause Benitez to feel he has to resign and the mayhem that would follow. For most of us we are just enjoying the moment backed by those in football. But the very existence of your friend questions his presence on the blog. At what point would this change, just prolonged stability or actually winning something. He gives the overwhelming impression that we are to be cast adrift once more on the stormy seas of Mike Ashley’s whims. Not so Hail Wor Ashley.
    Just a fanciful thought process but as I said it is not my intention to disrespect you but I would like to continue to post without unfair claims causing me to run for cover. I can handle the loose cannons.

previous post: Alan Shearer – Why He’s Still Shocked With Rafa Benitez