The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle To Change Their Transfer Priorities

10:53 pm, Sunday, June 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 49 Comments

Graham Carr may currently still be on Newcastle’s books as the Chief Scout, but the days when Newcastle did intensive scouting and recruitment from France  are over and with Rafa Benitez in charge of things it looks like Rafa is keen to bring in  British players to augment the squad.

That doesn’t say the Newcastle manager, who is in charge of all transfers into and out of the club andalso responsible for scouting – will not bring in some players from the continent.

rafa benitez 9i876

Rafa Benitez will make big changes at Newcastle

But they will be players known to Benitez and one such player we have linked with this summer is 33 year-old Real Madrid and former Liverpool right back Alvaro Arbeloa, who is free agent.

Rafa is keen to build up the squad with experience and some grit and Arbeloa would be an excellent acquisition for us – he is also used to winning games.

Newcastle have made some poor transfer dealings over the last couple of years and wasted a lot of transfer funds.

They include players like Many Riviere, Remy Cabella, Florian Thauvin and Henri Saivet who have all not been good enough, even though the fees we paid and the wages we offered them were high.

All four will be up for sale with Remy Cabella certain to sign on for Marseille on July 1st for around 8M, according to multiple reports.

At the very least Newcastle would like to get the above four plus Yoan Gouffran off the books this summer, and if we cannot sell them outright, the club will look to loan them out to at least get their wages off the books.

Benitez took almost two weeks to negotiate the right deal for himself and one that he also thinks is right for the club.

He is now charging ahead with the way he wants to run the club and getting good support from Lee Charnley – who he likes working with – so let’s hope all that continues.

Rafa can not only improve the team so we are a (the) top club in the Championship this coming season, but also have the  basis of a team that can challenge for the top six next season in the Premier League – assuming we get promoted.

Along the way Rafa will also have the club implement his recommended changes such as at the training ground to drag Newcastle United into the 21st century of football.

We will soon become a proper football club and we are certain Newcastle have the perfect man for the job in Rafa Benitez.

That’s why a majority of Newcastle fans are upbeat – even though we have just been relegated.

There’s a light and a potential trophy at the end of the tunnel.

Tags: Coaching · Loan Moves · Management · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours

49 responses so far ↓

• 1 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 5, 2016 at 10:57 PM

BandB
    Curious question?

• 2 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Have I missed something? Have we signed Arbeloa? I was in Spain last week watching the ECL final with the locals and catching up on a couple of books. I can’t believe I missed a signing. Or have I picked Ed up wrong?

• 3 bettyswallocks // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:02 PM

“t”sunki….. What say you on the matter?

• 4 BandB // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:03 PM

Sorry Blackly.
    Whenever you are ready.
    I’m only waiting for Bobs to come back and blind us with his football passion, as he promised earlier.
    Bobs…I’m off to bed…if ever there was time for a radgie, I’d say about 11.15pm is good.
    Flat track bully.

• 5 Graeme // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:03 PM

Ed, for the first time since SBR, we have, God knows how, got ourselves a genuine “A” Grade Manager in Rafa.
    I would suggest that 98% of fans will back whatever he decides, who he brings in, who he ships out – and thats the way it should be.
    If the Manager gets it wrong, he pays with his job – hopefully Rafa will get his 8 year Contract!! lol
    Of all the idiots he has given stupid Contracts to – Rafa probably deserves it!!

• 6 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:07 PM

Nobody wants to post first. Lost under advertising. Can you imagine the outcry if Mike Ashley gave us not just SD advertising but SD advertising that blocked the view of the goalmouth? Come on Ed. Sort it out man.

• 7 BandB // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:09 PM

Hidden post

Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 5, 2016 at 10:57 PM

BandB
    Curious question?

• 8 BandB // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:10 PM

Answer

Sorry Blackey and Brownie mate.
    Curious?

• 9 Tsunki // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:11 PM

That guys not here Betty. Like carl he didn’t claim that crucial first letter. He had the advantage but failed to capitalise.

What was the question again?

• 10 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:11 PM

BandB
    That’s the question to you. What’s the answer? What do you mean?

• 11 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:13 PM

BandB // Jun 5, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Can we talk now, Blackers?
    It is overdue.

• 12 Tsunki // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:14 PM

I’m a long time supporter of Eds churning of talking points but I’m seriously starting to wonder how many permutations of the same non- story can be serially posted before…oh..wait…it’s already happened!

• 13 BandB // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Well, what I’m saying, chuck, is that we should maybe cut the sarky shyte and explore some ideas.
    Before you die in a freak lawn-mowing accident on the 23rd.

• 14 jimmysmith // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Rafa is going to make mistakes. Just a quiet reminder. If Liverpool didn’t pull off that most unlikely of comebacks in Istanbul, thanks to Gerrard foremost among other players, he’d he held in far less esteem there. I’d say he has a season only to get us back, to stop Ashley arcing up over the money and for the wheels to start coming off. He’s under very real pressure.

• 15 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:20 PM

BandB
    Who would you be without the sarky? Can you imagine Ruddy without the sarky?

• 16 bettyswallocks // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:21 PM

Tsunki…… Was wondering if you’re an in or out man?

• 17 Tsunki // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:24 PM

I mean, have I missed a lot of news lately or are all those things in the article mostly supposition? They look a lot like facts, but not as we know them. 😉

• 18 BandB // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:24 PM

I always thought of Ciaran as being rather earnest, in whichever view he espoused.
    There is nothing more important than being earnest, BlandB.

• 19 Tsunki // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:25 PM

Betty depends on the weather. If it’s cold I…oh…do you mean this Europe vote thingy?

• 20 Tsunki // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Well. How do I stand I Europe? Well let’s see, I stood a lot in lanzarote recently. It was nice. I guess I was in then. But now I’m out. I may go back in later in the year but not there. I’m not helping am I?

• 21 Tsunki // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:31 PM

Actually Betty this may be hard to believe but I don’t get anywhere with politics. I hate buzzwords like “brexit” I hate the absolute lies either side put out to canvas your support when all you need to know are the figures and the fears. it’s all tosh. All of it. What will happen will happen.

• 22 bettyswallocks // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:33 PM

How will you vote though? Question not that difficult.

• 23 bettyswallocks // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:34 PM

Tsunki….. You sounded like a politician there , very evasive.

• 24 BandB // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:38 PM

I hope that Que Sera doesn’t come back to haunt you, Tsunki.
    It’s been done before.
    Don’t mess with the blog Gods.

• 25 bettyswallocks // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:39 PM

BandB……. That was very diplomatic of you describing him as earnest.

Radicalised, obsessed, bigoted , militant megalomaniac would be my description of him.

• 26 BandB // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:41 PM

Tsunki is an east Durham lad.
    He has seen the area destroyed by far right dogma.
    He’s a natural for Boris.

• 27 BandB // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:44 PM

We all change our minds, betty.
    Don’t we?

• 28 Mister Tuff // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:48 PM

The Importance of Being Earnest. Mmmm!
    Oscar Wilde’s play of the same name was comedy where the protagonists had fictitious personæ to escape burdensome social obligations.

What my God – fictitious personae – bloody multiples and well over 120 years ago. They’re all over the place.

• 29 Tsunki // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:51 PM

Betty it’s simple and non political. I don’t vote. That’ll start a political kerfuffle.

• 30 Tsunki // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:51 PM

Any I vote I’m off to bed.

• 31 BandB // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:53 PM

And I’ll go to bed at noon….too.

• 32 bettyswallocks // Jun 5, 2016 at 11:59 PM

BandB……. Yes we do depending on circumstances, but when someone of that ilk comes on here with his bully boy tactics and makes a moderate , mild mannered blogger like JFA feel thoroughly wretched and question his very own integrity by calling him a hypocrite then
    I feel obliged to speak up in his defence.
    Poor Jail has only just regained his positive outlook on life in general since Rafa arrived after being totally demoralised for many years
    so to see the poor guy so confused as to whether or not to attend matches due to that lunatic is hard to stomach.

• 33 BandB // Jun 6, 2016 at 12:12 AM

Perhaps Bail for Ashley is he order of the day, betty?

He does seem a bit of a giddy goose.

I dunno Jail…. what is about relegation that made you see the light?

• 34 bettyswallocks // Jun 6, 2016 at 12:20 AM

BandB……….. It’s nice to see someone completely rejuvenated with some genuine hope . Most of us are so intrigued to see what Rafa will do with the club that relegation seems to be a reasonable price to pay.

Ruddy was totally adamant that Rafa wasn’t staying and hasn’t been on since it was announced. That says it all for me.

• 35 jimmysmith // Jun 6, 2016 at 12:27 AM

Ashley may change. He may have already changed, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Rafa clearly hasn’t, having negotiated such astonishing personal terms to manage a Championship club. He’ll do very well for himself should Ashley renege, and he may well come to re-run the numbers one day and do exactly that. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, always is at Newcastle, but it’s still a dim glow as far as I can tell, so long is the tunnel, and with so many twists and turns to come.

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Jun 6, 2016 at 6:18 AM

BandB,
    I’m not sure I’ve seen the light. I’m just feeling optimistic for the future since KK got shat on. It is not just Rafa the person that has given me the hope but it is the change he has demanded that makes me think things will happen. Had they brought in a Moyes or Monk I would have thought just another patsy trying to restore a reputation by either keeping us tenth or getting us promoted. Rafa’s only just slightly tarnished reputation will not be restored by getting us promoted and then finishing tenth while lining Ashleys pockets. The guy is a born winner and is here to collect trophies, the first manager we’ve had who held all the aces when dealing with Ashley.
    Don’t for one minute think that I think that Ashley has finally had one of these “Damascus” moments and has had a complete change of heart, he has been forced into this situation but until things go tits up I’m going to try and enjoy the ride.

• 37 Munster Mag // Jun 6, 2016 at 6:38 AM

Jail, jimmy makes a point i have made before aswell. Liverpool fans did not have a huge love for rafa pre CL. He was seen as a defensive manager who was obsessed with getting men behind the ball first and foremost and one who tinkered with the team to the nth degree and was completely unable to play the same team two weeks running irrespective of the form of the first 11. We have seen zero changes so far except for the loss of a coach although at least he was replaced fast unlike mcclaren and pardew who dithered. I am delighted to have rafa but urge some caution i guess.

• 38 Ron Knee // Jun 6, 2016 at 6:52 AM

It’s a good thing that for once we have a competent person in charge of football matters. Benitez will inevitably make mistakes, and it might all end in tears, but at least we have some hope going into the new season.

• 39 Santon03 // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:10 AM

biggest liverpool achievement past 10 to 15 years was under Rafa.
    After Rafa left, they didn’t achieve anything even Klopp.
    NUFC will be the biggest challenge in Rafa’s career, if he succeed then it will be the biggest success in his career even if we never win CL.

• 40 toonlad9 // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:15 AM

Top 6 of the prem next season? If we do get promoted it isn’t just a case of slotting in there. Will take at least 2-3 seasons up there to achieve that

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:18 AM

Munster,
    We have seen zero changes??? We have just gone from hiring ex managers, first time managers, caretaker and lower league managers to hiring one of the best in the game, do you honestly think that he has signed up to the same or similar conditions that these last two and a half patties jumped on board with. He’s here to win Munster. Lpool fans didn’t like him till he won the CL, considering he won it in his first season the dislike didn’t last long.

• 42 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:35 AM

Well said jail. If Rafa does nothing else, he’s got me n you singing off the same sheet and that must be viewed as a minor miracle. 😉 The future looks incredibly bright under Rafa and one we can all enjoy.

• 43 jimmysmith // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:42 AM

An increasing and significant section of Liverpool fans had their misgivings about Rafa as time passed after that most unlikely Champions league win. Didn’t fancy the football, didn’t think there was enough silverware on the mantelpiece, or prospect of it.

He is top notch, it’s remarkable to have him, but he’s by no means infallible. No manager is, and of course this is Mike Ashley’s Newcastle.

I’m optimistic, I’m a fan, we’ve spent 80 million, and now we have an elite manager, but all management spells come to an end, and almost all end unsatisfactorily. That’s the way of it, and we are relegated, which doesn’t help.

• 44 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:43 AM

Morning munster, you still about? Are you gonna get to see the lads when they come over? There’s at least one match for you enjoy i do believe. You don’t apprear quite as happy with Rafa as the majority of us? Have a pint with him when he comes over marra, i’m sure you’ll warm to him! 😉

• 45 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:47 AM

Jimmy, if he gets us anywhere near where Liverpool were, he’ll have done us proud mate. I’m not sure I can genuinely think of a better man to take us forward, given where we were and what direction we were heading. A complete shake up was required and he likes to shake. 😉

• 46 jimmysmith // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:51 AM

Actually I’d say the future looked incredibly bleak, and now it looks better, and hopefully this time next year, it’ll look better again.

• 47 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:55 AM

The problem with winning the CL at your first attempt is that the only way is down from there. Aye, you can win it twice, but there’s not many places to go when you’ve already reached the top. Liverpool fans were spoiled in the past, unlike us, who’ve won nowt forever. He’ll be forever remembered if he wins something here and his position in history is guaranteed.

• 48 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 8:00 AM

Jimmy, many had us on the way down to the 1st division. Don’t hear than anymore now Rafa’s at the helm for good. The only way is up from here imo and in very safe hands. Personally i can’t wait for the season to begin. Dying to see who he brings in as well.

• 49 jimmysmith // Jun 6, 2016 at 8:10 AM

There’s hope, and then there’s realisation, but sure, we couldn’t have a better manager.

previous post: There’s Big Interest In This Newcastle Striker