Local Lad Wants These Players At Newcastle For Promotion Bid

Jack Colback has been interviewed today and he says he wants some strong characters at Newcastle for next season, to help with the promotion drive out of what Jack calls a tough league.

We had far too many players last season who didn’t want to know once the going got tough in games and we cannot have that in the coming season in England’s second tier.

We need some leaders at the club who know what to do when things get tough and can spur on their team-mates.

jack Colback Rafa Benitez swansea

Jack Colback and Rafa Benitez during 3-0 win against Swansea

To a large extent that weakness on the field was fixed by Rafa Benitez and in those final six games when we got 12 points there were  not too many players went missing in those games.

Rafa had already made it very clear that if you were not willing to fight then you simply didn’t get in the team and various players including high-priced Gini Wijnaldum and Jonjo Shelvey were dropped to the bench.

This is what Jack has said today:

“We need to keep hold of the right players and sign the right players,” “There are a lot of games and we need a strong squad with good players who are up for the challenge.”

“We’ll need players who can properly help the team now, not a few years down the line,” “It’s a tough league and you need a strong group of characters in order to get promoted.”

The last time we were relegated we did have some leaders in the team like Nicky Butt, Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton, Alan Smith and Steve Harper.

We don’t think that’s going to be a problem in the coming season because in pre-season Rafa is going to keep drumming it into the players they have to fight in every single game in the tough 46 game season.

Any player who is not willing to do that will not play.

And Rafa is trying to bring some experience into the squad over the summer and some older players will likely be signed.

Note: I’ll be traveling to Kingston, NY today and will be back on line later this afternoon.

• Bobbybee

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:53 AM

No doubt there’ll be lots of talk until the buying starts, but although I like Colback myself, there’ll be others who’ll want him out. We all know we need fighters, but i still think a lot think it’s a something special league, where imo it’s just like the PL, just not as good. One thing for sure, is Rafa won’t allow complacency in any of his sides, so unless all our players are prepared to roll their sleeves up, they’ll find themselves sitting games out.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:08 AM

We go on about those 5 experienced players who saved us, but the truth is Barton and Butt missed half the season and didn’t perform great due to that. Smith was his usual average self. Our star players were Jonas, Coloccini, Nolan, and Carrol. Williamson, Taylor, routledge, and shola also played their part.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Bobby

You are right that it is not as good as the prem. However, the average champs player is very dedicated, more so than some of our lot kast season. I would think it’s because they know that they are 1 league from the top,and want to show they are ready for the prem, whether they go up with thier current team, or put themselves in the shop window for a relatively big move. The players we have, if they stay, SHOULD walk this league, but Jack is right, they need to develop a fighting spirit that is not the general culture in the prem.

• carl

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:12 AM

Bobby
    I take your point on self sufficiency but unless we shed some high earners with lower income in Championship we won’t be. Just hope Ashley will back us for a one season stay as he did before.
    Colback will do well I think he can scrap and would back him to come into his own. Tiote has historically suggested he has flights of fancyso would pair Shelvey with Jack.

• Bobbybee

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Carl, I think we can survive one season in the Championship without upsetting the financial applecart. That’s why we don’t need to sell. The problems will only arise if we fail first attempt to come straight back up, but Rafa is confident he can bring us straight back up and i trust his judgement, just by the team we have. Shit, got to go, ambulance here to take me to the freeman. Later lads.

• Jib

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:26 AM

The big danger is with Sky promising to show a lot more FL72 games there will be lots of broadcasts from SJP at weird times and days .

Championship players playing out their skins cos they are in front of 50K on the telly !

• job

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:39 AM

good for football shite for nufc

• Tsunki

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Might have to drop some sandbags if we want this balloon to lift. The senior players Ed mentioned may not have contributed as much physically but motivation ally they were a real influence to morale, something we were abysmally lacking last season. No matter their perceived “quality ” it would be toxic to keep players who make it clear they are in a team below their station. I’m sure Benitez gas the characters worked out. The Liverpool team that won the cl were not the team of previous years technically but motivationally they were up there all right.

Let the prima Donna have their moves, preferably now before we are stuck with their sulky faces for a second championship term. The heart of the team will be squad players like colback who I think are now substantially at their correct level.

• expatmag

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Next Mike

A little unfair on the likes of Guthrie, Enrique and the 17 gia mm s scored by Lovenkrands

• expatmag

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Goals

• Tsunki

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Aye enrique owned defenders in the championship as a matter of course. They used to come set up to play down their left rather sacrifice play down his side.

• Tsunki

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Shola was on a spree until he got injured. First time he was on course for 25 goals in a season lol

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:20 AM

I just forgot them. Also forgot Ryan Taylor. everybody had good attitude. but players like colo and Nolan had struggled the year we went down, then flourished once they settled. I think mitrovic will be settled to the pace now and shelvey could go on to be our Nolan. lascelles could also go on to be our new coloccini. and armstrong could be our Carroll.

• carl

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:23 AM

I remember reading of your journey around the Championship.
    Could be time for an update- new opposition and new pubs to revisit. They will have forgotten you by now!!???

• jayphoto

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Think it was how much more influential they were behind the scenes and in the dressing room that on the pitch!
    Personally thought Alan Smith was outstanding in our promotion season though, I went to about 8 away days that year and he was our best player on most of the games I saw.
    Don’t forget Peter Lovenkrands was excellent! To be fair Harper, Simpson, Guthrie were excellent too! Don’t think we had many that didn’t contribute that stayed! Shola got 10 in 11 starts!

• Tsunki

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Smith took some shocking comments on this blog imo. A chief motivator who many thought should be living up to his young days at Leeds but due to shocking injuries had to be a midfield battler, a role he took on with sometimes excessive exuberance!

• The overrated Frenchman

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:23 AM

I expect Jack Colback to do well in the Championship, because that’s his right level, and it’s proper that he should be there. And that’s where he should stay, even if we get promoted. He should have kept on at the mackems really, a perennial Championship team in waiting.

• Rotonda heights

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:34 AM

over rated

whenever i get it ripped out of me by arsenal and other fans they always say well you’ve got colback, while they’ve got cazorla etc. can’t really argue.

• geordie157

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:41 AM

I’m hoping next season is the one where Armstrong gets a run of games and becomes a key player, he won’t miss many clear cut chances which is something mitrovic, perez and cisse all seem to do.

If mitrovic and perez stay, plus a new striker is signed it will be interesting how rafa keeps them happy.

But I think going with mitrovic, perez, Armstrong plus say mccormack would give us great options up front.

I imagine a new striker will be proven at this level and have experience, leadership qualities. However could we beat premier league sides to fulhams dembele who has huge potential and scored goals in a struggling side. So four young, hungry strikers competing for places.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Rotonda

I was at the local club for onenof our last games (cant remember which) and i overheard some guy say ‘He’s the best player on Newcastles books, that Colback”….. I couldn’t bring myself to intervene with a ‘wtf?’ Or anything. I was gobsmacked. To me he is nothing more than a mostly competent back up utility player, but sonce we have anita who is a better utility player, do we need Colback? I think maybe keep him for this season but sell on if/when we.are promoted.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:46 AM

I’m sure Rafa knows we will have to play every match to win from day one. There will be few opportunities to play those that are on a learning curve to give them the experience they need.

We will have to see what Rafa decides to do with Armstrong but it will be a big responsibility for him to score the goals that will take us back up. Is he ready for that pressure? There is only one way to find out but if he plays and doesn’t hit the ground running it could damage his confidence and progress. I still don’t think sending him to Kilmarnock or Hamilton Academicals will further his development as the standard of Scottish football is poor.

• Nufc-83

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:56 AM

What are people talking about Alan Smith was a god awful player for us as he couldn’t even pass the ball and used to just run around fouling. unbelievable comments they are

• Mister Tuff

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:58 AM

I think an element of caution needs to be exercised -at the moment. We do not know exactly what “concessions” Rafa has obtained from the same old hierarchy.
    We’ll get to know the standard of any new players in the coming weeks and make an update of any assessments as time progresses.
    Rafa might have the final shout with regards to football matters -but he probably does not have the final shout with the money.
    He might be after somebody with a high price – will Penfold/Ashley get the cheque book out – we’ll soon get to know.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Rotonda….. In reply to your earlier post. I can’t remember all the mistakes you have made without trawling back years but there have been many otherwise I wouldn’t have picked up on it. However this is hopefully a new era under Rafa so I am prepared to allow bygones to be bygones . My concern with your comments on Townsend were that he would read your headless chicken comments and allow it to affect his performance .

As it happens since you posted those comments even before he arrived he has played really well , maybe as though he had a point to prove. However by the same token if he did read your posts , he could conceivably have got himself in a flap and been unable to perform.

• G

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:46 PM

betty, to be fair on Townsend, I also thought he would be a duffer for us. Delighted to eat my words there though, and I really hope he is still our player this time next year.

• Rotonda heights

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Betty

OMG Do you really think Townsend on his 50/60k a week takes time to personally read my posts and would be so sensitive as to under perform. YCMIU. Please tell me you’re joking. I realise now what a very sad and damaged sounding little man I’m getting abused by. Do you believe in Father Christmas too? You’re more broken that I thought! Special needs and a carer urgently needed all come to mind.

So in reality despite all your hot air and endless no nowt bull you can’t come up with one single other example.

Many people didn’t previously rate townsend and I was the first to admit if you trawl back through that I was very pleasantly surprised by him. Here’s one for you, AT might have said oh no, rotonda said this about me, I’ll show him. lol !! Sorry I’m having hysterics, are you for real?

Big of you to let bygones be bygones as I think you’re confusing me with someone who gives a rats pataudi what you think. You are clearly depriving some village somewhere of an idiot.

• TheBoss

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Regardless if we end up selling Sissoko & Andros I would love to see us go for Brighton’s Anthony Knockaert , plays either wing, a worker and real team player who just happens to be a bit of a wizard with the ball at his feet.. He would be another Toon Icon very quickly and would def keep Sissoko out the team at least.. Watched him a lot and I can’t remember him having a bad game and always gave it 100% , just what we need…

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Rotonda

Nope. I am serious, and he didnt even take it back after Colback gave away another of his trademark free kicks from tackles in non-threatening wide areas, resulting in a set piece into or box.
    I assume the rest of the rant was at betty, since i am.sure i didnt throw in any abuse 😀

• Jib

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:10 PM

betty and rotonda having a cat fight
    handbags at 20 paces
    Ha ha ha
    They’re both as thick as pigshite
    😀

• Bobbybee

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:14 PM

The boss, I’ve mentioned knockeart before on here and he’s precisely what we need imo. Of all the dodgy french wingers we’ve had, he’s one that slipped us by. Amazing set piece taker as well as capable of dancing past defenders before delivering a blustering shot or killer cross. Liked him at Leicester and he appears to be improved since moving to Brighton.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:16 PM

No mention of Dwight Gayle yet on here, none starter?

• geordie157

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Not sure if stars is the right word but out of our best players the two I really hope that stay are Townsend and Mbemba.

Townsend can become a regular here for years to come and a bit of a crowd favorite, it’s been a long time since we had a good out and out winger!

Plus I want to see the mbemba and lascelles pairing develop, that has the makings of a great partnership and the season in the championship should only strengthen that further.

• geordie157

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:19 PM

I think for money rumoured for Gayle 7-9 mill we’d be better off looking elsewhere or paying more for mccormack who’s a much better all round player and adds a bit more experience and leadership to the side, plus his free kicks are good too!

• cyprus

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Butt and Smith were disappointments rather. They helped relegate us….

• martoon

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:21 PM

I’m on holiday cruising around the Adriatic so having a quick blog catchup. Apart from the bitchfights there seems to be no hard news about transfers etc. Is that correct?

• Bobbybee

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Geordie, i think a year in the Championship will be the making of a lot of our players. Mbemba and Lascelles will develop nicely together and be more than ready for a return to the big time. Townsend needs to make what is, in all fairness, a difficult decision. Does he go back to the PL with another ckub, or does he stick with us and bounce back next season? We all know what we hope he’ll do, but it can’t be the easiest decision, having got back to form and now in demand. I fancy Rafa to persuade him though, they seem to have developed a decent relationship.

• Bobbybee

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Now then martoon, enjoying yoursekf? 😉 Daft question really. No marra, no definite signings on the horizon just yet, I believe Rafa said he’s waiting on you to get back before signing anyone! 😉

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Anthony Knockaert was not on Mondial so we would have looked the other way same with Sakho at West Ham and Kante at Leicester !!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:29 PM

On the Colback discussion don’t mind him as a squad player but he should not getting near 40 k a week and getting lots of games for us as one of our first choice midfielders !!

Slightly better than Perch or Guthrie but not by much!

• Bobbybee

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Lee, sadly, i think you’re bang on there. Hopefully this dodginess with favourite agents etc will stop now.