The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Local Lad Wants These Players At Newcastle For Promotion Bid

8:44 am, Monday, June 6th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 96 Comments

Jack Colback has been interviewed today and he says he wants some strong characters at Newcastle for next season, to help with the promotion drive out of what Jack calls a tough league.

We had far too many players last season who didn’t want to know once the going got tough in games and we cannot have that in the coming season in England’s second tier.

We need some leaders at the club who know what to do when things get tough and can spur on their team-mates.

jack Colback Rafa Benitez swansea

Jack Colback and Rafa Benitez during 3-0 win against Swansea

To a large extent that weakness on the field was fixed by Rafa Benitez and in those final six games when we got 12 points there were  not too many players went missing in those games.

Rafa had already made it very clear that if you were not willing to fight then you simply didn’t get in the team and various players including high-priced Gini Wijnaldum and Jonjo Shelvey were dropped to the bench.

This is what Jack has said today:

“We need to keep hold of the right players and sign the right players,” “There are a lot of games and we need a strong squad with good players who are up for the challenge.”

“We’ll need players who can properly help the team now, not a few years down the line,” “It’s a tough league and you need a strong group of characters in order to get promoted.”

The last time we were relegated we did have some leaders in the team like Nicky Butt, Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton, Alan Smith and Steve Harper.

We don’t think that’s going to be a problem in the coming season because in pre-season Rafa is going to keep drumming it into the players they have to fight in every single game in the tough 46 game season.

Any player who is not willing to do that will not play.

And Rafa is trying to bring some experience into the squad over the summer and some older players will likely be signed.

Note: I’ll be traveling to Kingston, NY today and will be back on line later this afternoon.

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Jack Colback · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

96 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 8:53 AM

No doubt there’ll be lots of talk until the buying starts, but although I like Colback myself, there’ll be others who’ll want him out. We all know we need fighters, but i still think a lot think it’s a something special league, where imo it’s just like the PL, just not as good. One thing for sure, is Rafa won’t allow complacency in any of his sides, so unless all our players are prepared to roll their sleeves up, they’ll find themselves sitting games out.

• 2 The next Mike Williamson // Jun 6, 2016 at 9:08 AM

We go on about those 5 experienced players who saved us, but the truth is Barton and Butt missed half the season and didn’t perform great due to that. Smith was his usual average self. Our star players were Jonas, Coloccini, Nolan, and Carrol. Williamson, Taylor, routledge, and shola also played their part.

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 6, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Bobby

You are right that it is not as good as the prem. However, the average champs player is very dedicated, more so than some of our lot kast season. I would think it’s because they know that they are 1 league from the top,and want to show they are ready for the prem, whether they go up with thier current team, or put themselves in the shop window for a relatively big move. The players we have, if they stay, SHOULD walk this league, but Jack is right, they need to develop a fighting spirit that is not the general culture in the prem.

• 4 carl // Jun 6, 2016 at 9:12 AM

Bobby
    I take your point on self sufficiency but unless we shed some high earners with lower income in Championship we won’t be. Just hope Ashley will back us for a one season stay as he did before.
    Colback will do well I think he can scrap and would back him to come into his own. Tiote has historically suggested he has flights of fancyso would pair Shelvey with Jack.

• 5 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Carl, I think we can survive one season in the Championship without upsetting the financial applecart. That’s why we don’t need to sell. The problems will only arise if we fail first attempt to come straight back up, but Rafa is confident he can bring us straight back up and i trust his judgement, just by the team we have. Shit, got to go, ambulance here to take me to the freeman. Later lads.

• 6 Jib // Jun 6, 2016 at 9:26 AM

The big danger is with Sky promising to show a lot more FL72 games there will be lots of broadcasts from SJP at weird times and days .

Championship players playing out their skins cos they are in front of 50K on the telly !

• 7 job // Jun 6, 2016 at 9:39 AM

good for football shite for nufc

• 8 Tsunki // Jun 6, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Might have to drop some sandbags if we want this balloon to lift. The senior players Ed mentioned may not have contributed as much physically but motivation ally they were a real influence to morale, something we were abysmally lacking last season. No matter their perceived “quality ” it would be toxic to keep players who make it clear they are in a team below their station. I’m sure Benitez gas the characters worked out. The Liverpool team that won the cl were not the team of previous years technically but motivationally they were up there all right.

Let the prima Donna have their moves, preferably now before we are stuck with their sulky faces for a second championship term. The heart of the team will be squad players like colback who I think are now substantially at their correct level.

• 9 expatmag // Jun 6, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Next Mike

A little unfair on the likes of Guthrie, Enrique and the 17 gia mm s scored by Lovenkrands

• 10 expatmag // Jun 6, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Goals

• 11 Tsunki // Jun 6, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Aye enrique owned defenders in the championship as a matter of course. They used to come set up to play down their left rather sacrifice play down his side.

• 12 Tsunki // Jun 6, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Shola was on a spree until he got injured. First time he was on course for 25 goals in a season lol

• 13 The next Mike Williamson // Jun 6, 2016 at 10:20 AM

I just forgot them. Also forgot Ryan Taylor. everybody had good attitude. but players like colo and Nolan had struggled the year we went down, then flourished once they settled. I think mitrovic will be settled to the pace now and shelvey could go on to be our Nolan. lascelles could also go on to be our new coloccini. and armstrong could be our Carroll.

• 14 carl // Jun 6, 2016 at 10:23 AM

I remember reading of your journey around the Championship.
    Could be time for an update- new opposition and new pubs to revisit. They will have forgotten you by now!!???

• 15 jayphoto // Jun 6, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Think it was how much more influential they were behind the scenes and in the dressing room that on the pitch!
    Personally thought Alan Smith was outstanding in our promotion season though, I went to about 8 away days that year and he was our best player on most of the games I saw.
    Don’t forget Peter Lovenkrands was excellent! To be fair Harper, Simpson, Guthrie were excellent too! Don’t think we had many that didn’t contribute that stayed! Shola got 10 in 11 starts!

• 16 Tsunki // Jun 6, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Smith took some shocking comments on this blog imo. A chief motivator who many thought should be living up to his young days at Leeds but due to shocking injuries had to be a midfield battler, a role he took on with sometimes excessive exuberance!

• 17 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 6, 2016 at 11:23 AM

I expect Jack Colback to do well in the Championship, because that’s his right level, and it’s proper that he should be there. And that’s where he should stay, even if we get promoted. He should have kept on at the mackems really, a perennial Championship team in waiting.

• 18 Rotonda heights // Jun 6, 2016 at 11:34 AM

over rated

whenever i get it ripped out of me by arsenal and other fans they always say well you’ve got colback, while they’ve got cazorla etc. can’t really argue.

• 19 geordie157 // Jun 6, 2016 at 11:41 AM

I’m hoping next season is the one where Armstrong gets a run of games and becomes a key player, he won’t miss many clear cut chances which is something mitrovic, perez and cisse all seem to do.

If mitrovic and perez stay, plus a new striker is signed it will be interesting how rafa keeps them happy.

But I think going with mitrovic, perez, Armstrong plus say mccormack would give us great options up front.

I imagine a new striker will be proven at this level and have experience, leadership qualities. However could we beat premier league sides to fulhams dembele who has huge potential and scored goals in a struggling side. So four young, hungry strikers competing for places.

• 20 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 6, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Rotonda

I was at the local club for onenof our last games (cant remember which) and i overheard some guy say ‘He’s the best player on Newcastles books, that Colback”….. I couldn’t bring myself to intervene with a ‘wtf?’ Or anything. I was gobsmacked. To me he is nothing more than a mostly competent back up utility player, but sonce we have anita who is a better utility player, do we need Colback? I think maybe keep him for this season but sell on if/when we.are promoted.

• 21 bettyswallocks // Jun 6, 2016 at 11:46 AM

I’m sure Rafa knows we will have to play every match to win from day one. There will be few opportunities to play those that are on a learning curve to give them the experience they need.

We will have to see what Rafa decides to do with Armstrong but it will be a big responsibility for him to score the goals that will take us back up. Is he ready for that pressure? There is only one way to find out but if he plays and doesn’t hit the ground running it could damage his confidence and progress. I still don’t think sending him to Kilmarnock or Hamilton Academicals will further his development as the standard of Scottish football is poor.

• 22 Nufc-83 // Jun 6, 2016 at 11:56 AM

What are people talking about Alan Smith was a god awful player for us as he couldn’t even pass the ball and used to just run around fouling. unbelievable comments they are

• 23 Mister Tuff // Jun 6, 2016 at 11:58 AM

I think an element of caution needs to be exercised -at the moment. We do not know exactly what “concessions” Rafa has obtained from the same old hierarchy.
    We’ll get to know the standard of any new players in the coming weeks and make an update of any assessments as time progresses.
    Rafa might have the final shout with regards to football matters -but he probably does not have the final shout with the money.
    He might be after somebody with a high price – will Penfold/Ashley get the cheque book out – we’ll soon get to know.

• 24 bettyswallocks // Jun 6, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Rotonda….. In reply to your earlier post. I can’t remember all the mistakes you have made without trawling back years but there have been many otherwise I wouldn’t have picked up on it. However this is hopefully a new era under Rafa so I am prepared to allow bygones to be bygones . My concern with your comments on Townsend were that he would read your headless chicken comments and allow it to affect his performance .

As it happens since you posted those comments even before he arrived he has played really well , maybe as though he had a point to prove. However by the same token if he did read your posts , he could conceivably have got himself in a flap and been unable to perform.

• 25 G // Jun 6, 2016 at 12:46 PM

betty, to be fair on Townsend, I also thought he would be a duffer for us. Delighted to eat my words there though, and I really hope he is still our player this time next year.

• 26 Rotonda heights // Jun 6, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Betty

OMG Do you really think Townsend on his 50/60k a week takes time to personally read my posts and would be so sensitive as to under perform. YCMIU. Please tell me you’re joking. I realise now what a very sad and damaged sounding little man I’m getting abused by. Do you believe in Father Christmas too? You’re more broken that I thought! Special needs and a carer urgently needed all come to mind.

So in reality despite all your hot air and endless no nowt bull you can’t come up with one single other example.

Many people didn’t previously rate townsend and I was the first to admit if you trawl back through that I was very pleasantly surprised by him. Here’s one for you, AT might have said oh no, rotonda said this about me, I’ll show him. lol !! Sorry I’m having hysterics, are you for real?

Big of you to let bygones be bygones as I think you’re confusing me with someone who gives a rats pataudi what you think. You are clearly depriving some village somewhere of an idiot.

• 27 TheBoss // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Regardless if we end up selling Sissoko & Andros I would love to see us go for Brighton’s Anthony Knockaert , plays either wing, a worker and real team player who just happens to be a bit of a wizard with the ball at his feet.. He would be another Toon Icon very quickly and would def keep Sissoko out the team at least.. Watched him a lot and I can’t remember him having a bad game and always gave it 100% , just what we need…

• 28 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Rotonda

Nope. I am serious, and he didnt even take it back after Colback gave away another of his trademark free kicks from tackles in non-threatening wide areas, resulting in a set piece into or box.
    I assume the rest of the rant was at betty, since i am.sure i didnt throw in any abuse 😀

• 29 Jib // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:10 PM

betty and rotonda having a cat fight
    handbags at 20 paces
    Ha ha ha
    They’re both as thick as pigshite
    😀

• 30 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:14 PM

The boss, I’ve mentioned knockeart before on here and he’s precisely what we need imo. Of all the dodgy french wingers we’ve had, he’s one that slipped us by. Amazing set piece taker as well as capable of dancing past defenders before delivering a blustering shot or killer cross. Liked him at Leicester and he appears to be improved since moving to Brighton.

• 31 Lindisfarne // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:16 PM

No mention of Dwight Gayle yet on here, none starter?

• 32 geordie157 // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Not sure if stars is the right word but out of our best players the two I really hope that stay are Townsend and Mbemba.

Townsend can become a regular here for years to come and a bit of a crowd favorite, it’s been a long time since we had a good out and out winger!

Plus I want to see the mbemba and lascelles pairing develop, that has the makings of a great partnership and the season in the championship should only strengthen that further.

• 33 geordie157 // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:19 PM

I think for money rumoured for Gayle 7-9 mill we’d be better off looking elsewhere or paying more for mccormack who’s a much better all round player and adds a bit more experience and leadership to the side, plus his free kicks are good too!

• 34 cyprus // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Butt and Smith were disappointments rather. They helped relegate us….

• 35 martoon // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:21 PM

I’m on holiday cruising around the Adriatic so having a quick blog catchup. Apart from the bitchfights there seems to be no hard news about transfers etc. Is that correct?

• 36 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Geordie, i think a year in the Championship will be the making of a lot of our players. Mbemba and Lascelles will develop nicely together and be more than ready for a return to the big time. Townsend needs to make what is, in all fairness, a difficult decision. Does he go back to the PL with another ckub, or does he stick with us and bounce back next season? We all know what we hope he’ll do, but it can’t be the easiest decision, having got back to form and now in demand. I fancy Rafa to persuade him though, they seem to have developed a decent relationship.

• 37 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Now then martoon, enjoying yoursekf? 😉 Daft question really. No marra, no definite signings on the horizon just yet, I believe Rafa said he’s waiting on you to get back before signing anyone! 😉

• 38 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Anthony Knockaert was not on Mondial so we would have looked the other way same with Sakho at West Ham and Kante at Leicester !!

• 39 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:29 PM

On the Colback discussion don’t mind him as a squad player but he should not getting near 40 k a week and getting lots of games for us as one of our first choice midfielders !!

Slightly better than Perch or Guthrie but not by much!

• 40 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Lee, sadly, i think you’re bang on there. Hopefully this dodginess with favourite agents etc will stop now.

• 41 martoon // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Cheers Bobby aye Rafa doesn’t dare fart without my say so 🙂

• 42 jayphoto // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Reckon Gayle would nab 20 goals in the fizzy pop! Saying, that, riviere will score a few! Think people underestimate just how big a drop in class and quality it is! The top 5 or 6 clubs granted are good sides, but outside of that, 18-20 clubs are a mile away from premier league quality! Theres more space for strikers, more time. Remember some pundit saying for every 1 chance a striker will get in the premier league, he’d get 5 in the championship. Sounds about right, we’ll have a lot of possession and will dominate alot of teams this next season. Players like riviere who aren’t good enough at PL level may find themselves more than good enough next year! Last time we went down, Shola, Lovenkrands, Guthrie all looked amazing and none of those were ever PL class! Just look at the top goal scorers list last year in that league! Abel Hernandez couldn’t hit a barn door in the PL yet looks a top player for hull now! Only Andre Gray is PL level in my opinion, the lad banging them in for Birmingham is woeful! The league isn’t even as physical as it used to be either due to many foreign imports now! In my opinion its a league you can easily buy your way out of if the right man is spending the money or just by keeping the bulk of the PL squad!

• 43 lesh // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Bobby, YCMIU

For all the Championship’s a lower standard than the Prem, most teams we’ll be playing will bust a gut to beat us, to take a big scalp. That’ll make games all the harder.

• 44 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Jay, couldn’t agree more. If – hypothetically – we went into the french league, would be duty bound to sign a load more french players because ‘they know the league?’ The team with the best players will imo win the league. Refs are more aware of bad tackles and all hoping to work in the PL, so they no longer allow the heavy challenges that used to be the norm in the lower league. If we keep the bulk of our current players and bring in a few more older heads, I can’t see beyond promotion.

• 45 expatmag // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Out of interest, what is this lad Griggs at Wigan like?

• 46 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Lesh, not saying it will be easy marra, far from it and you’re right, we will be the big target other clubs will go for. That said, quality will out and the best team will rise to the top. Rafa won’t allow any complacency from our players as he’s fully aware of any possible banana skins. He’s the ultimate preperation manager. Every player will have it drummed into them about complacency and he won’t think twice about dropping anybody not giving 100%.

• 47 Lindisfarne // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:46 PM

IMO if not Gayle then players of similar circumstance are a must for us. Mid20s, at PL club and looking for regular match time. Or experienced in the Championship, young and good enough to play at the next level up.

The transfer window is not officially open yet, is it July 1st? Not that it stops some intended transfers from being announced.

• 48 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Expat, one of those ‘right place, right time’ strikers. The ball keeps dropping to him and he keeps burying them. Always a danger.

• 49 lesh // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Bobby

• 50 Lindisfarne // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:49 PM

We will be the ManU of the Championship!!!
    Everyone wants to beat, by hook or crook.

• 51 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Lesh. 😉

• 52 lesh // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Bobby

If you’re back from the Freeman already you must’ve been taken in the air ambulance – or you’ve got wings yourself!

• 53 expatmag // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Bobby

Qorth a look then.

• 54 jayphoto // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Same with all this B.S about managers that know how to get out of the championship… its crap! same as the players!
    Fact is, theres a category of managers and players that probably fall into not quite good enough for the premier league but too good for the championship! Id say Neil Warnock falls into this! Possibly steve bruce. Its nothing to do with knowing the league. With the level of refereeing etc improving, smallers players no longer get lumps kicked out of them. See arma at Coventry last year for example.. Ability is now transferable. A manager like rafa, with the resources the club has, and the level of players even down to the likes of gouffran should be walking this league! Mitrovic/Cisse have no championship experience but id be shocked if they didn’t score for fun at that level. If clayton Donaldson can score 20 goals, if Ameobi got 10 goals from 11 starts etc then cisse and mitro should be easily getting 20!
    No coincidence that I think 20 championship clubs enquired about rivi on loan last year! The level he scored at for Toulouse and Monaco is higher week by week than the championship!

• 55 expatmag // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Worth

• 56 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Lesh, aye, four hours there and back must be something of a record! Still none the wiser as to why i had to go. Referred back to the surgeon. Could’ve done that by phone! 😉

• 57 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Jay, you and me on the same hymn sheet there then. 😉

• 58 jimmysmith // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Me too.

• 59 Bobbybee // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Expat, i think we”ll be ok for Championship level strikers, but worth keeping an eye on.

• 60 Tsunki // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Ha ha ha I didn’t say Smith was a great player if you read my context it was about commitment and motivation. He was shot as a player before we got him no doubt, but I can remember a few occasions where he revived us a bit by having a go in midfield. Butt was a mystery though especially as club captain while virtually never playing. Maybe he was good at speeches?

• 61 Tsunki // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Martoon I’d just enjoy the cruise. Bit of scrapping over nowt going on, with the usual jib snipe to squirt lighter fluid on.

• 62 toon22 // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Imho we wont see a whole lot of whome Rafa wants etc untill after the Euros,we have players there and a whole lot of horse trading to do afterwards.
    I dont think it matter who he brings in so long as he builds an actual team and not assemble a bunch of un known French reject whole they hope will turn a turn profit on.

• 63 Tsunki // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Let’s just wait until euro 2016 is over so we can take our pick of the top players, eh?

😉

• 64 jayphoto // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:18 PM

@toon 22 – pretty sure we only have Sissoko at the euros? and he won’t be with us in all probability next season

• 65 geordie157 // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:21 PM

If players like Cameron Jerome and Chris Wood can score in the championship, is it possible riviere could too?

I think he’ll be offloaded or loaned out….may end up being stuck with him like we were with xisco.

Same applies for thauvin, surely he could be a potential star in the championship, people keep saying about knockeart, thauvin is a similar player who I think Rafa could get the best out of and more importantly unearth some of that potential.

• 66 Nufc-83 // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Jay I agree with almost everything you say apart from the dig at Guthrie who for me was a decent PL midfielder. When cabaye dropped from the team he wasn’t noticed as Guthrie came in and done a great job IMO (great pass and shot on him). Although he didn’t do that great when he left do maybe I’m wrong 🙂

• 67 bettyswallocks // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:25 PM

No matter what league we happen to be in, it’s still a game of football 11vs11. The best team with the best players normally come out on top at the end of the season. Too many draws is my only concern.

• 68 Ron Knee // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:31 PM

betty

Burnley: Won: 26, Drew: 15, Lost: 5

Some kind of target for us?

• 69 Tsunki // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:33 PM

You never know we might actually beat derby this time.

• 70 bettyswallocks // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:49 PM

Ron….. If it gets us up then its mission accomplished. There will be some managers with points to prove, Pearson , Di Matteo etc. I think we’ll need more points than Burnley got to win it.

• 71 stuart no9 // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:50 PM

once raffa gets his team together, im really expercting us to go unbeaten all season. , i really cant see raffa allowing any team to get 3 points . Yes i think there will be a few away draws , but i cant see anyone getting a point at SJP. I’ll stick my neck out and predict 126 points total come next May

• 72 Ron Knee // Jun 6, 2016 at 2:55 PM

betty

I hope we manage to finish in the top two. The old ticker couldn’t take a play-off final!

• 73 outside the box // Jun 6, 2016 at 3:17 PM

i think the transfer window opens this thurs the 9th…hope to see some movement on a quality left sided defender…be interested to see benitez type signings…quite looking forward to the season …agree with ron knee top 2 without stress and able to enjoy games for a change would be nice

• 74 Mister Tuff // Jun 6, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Outside – is it not the 1st July for English teams
    9th June for Scotland????

• 75 TheBoss // Jun 6, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Well at the risk of being told to do one by everyone who was sick of seeing his name this time last year and just about looking for a high tree and a short rope by Xmas as his name was still being bandied about… We want goals..go and give Southampton 6-7 Million for him they only paid 4 million.. Sat on bench down there , way down the pecking order…This time last year I posted on here that we should NOT pin our hopes on a 20 yr old kid from Anderlecht ,not because he is bad but because he was untried in England at any level.. We did just that and it cost us dearly… Anything up to 10 Million would be a bargain for Charlie Austin ( I only mentioned once ).lol

• 76 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 6, 2016 at 4:46 PM

@TheBoss

I like your thinking although Austin was injured a lot for Southampton and reports when he signed was that he was getting close to 100k a week pretty sure the West Ham chairman Gold mentioned it online at the time !

Southampton also have Rodriguez maybe we could try get one of them on loan just to see what their fitness is like over a season

• 77 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 6, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Also on Dwight Gayle whenever I have seen him play he has looked pretty good Pardew never really gave him a go up front he got slapped out on the left wing a lot when I have watched him !

Still only 25 so technically Benitez could maybe turn him into a bit of a player as he has the tools available and we need a bigger and more capable squad so I think he would be a good addition to replace Doumbia !

We then need Cisse and Riviere to be replaced as well !!

It would be a big risk to just be relying on Mitrovic, Perez and Armstrong which is why I am glad we have Benitez in because he wont be gambling for the sake of it

• 78 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 6, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Austin didn’t really want to come here when we were in the prem, so he is hardly going to come now. Even if we had matched offers from other clubs, he prefered to stay doon sooth. Ed keeps banging the Austin drum, insisting thats why we were relegated, but thats reaching at best.

• 79 Tsunki // Jun 6, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Replace Doumbia, LCBP? Those are pretty big shoes to fill 🙂

• 80 Tsunki // Jun 6, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Has Ed not got back from Costco yet? I was looking forward to the afternoon blog sprint.

• 81 Tsunki // Jun 6, 2016 at 5:20 PM

I think the good ship Charlie has sailed, if Ed doesn’t bother posting articles on him any more it’s usually as good as a dead end.

• 82 Jack Root // Jun 6, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Ed
    I trust you had a positive visit to the Benedictine and that all went well.

• 83 cyprus // Jun 6, 2016 at 6:47 PM

We should not get complacent about that league. I’ve seen some pretty decent football games, and teams, and it’s feisty, as well as with decent quality.

It won’t be easy.

• 84 bettyswallocks // Jun 6, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Going back to the Townsend debate. As I said it looks like there is enough respect between him and Rafa to convince him to stay.

If however he does leave then comments like those made by our very own Rotonda certainly won’t have helped to make him feel wanted. This blog is widely read and discussed and more than likely he will know what’s been going on.
    Footballers have feelings too and those comments were very cruel.

• 85 Munster Mag // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Rotunda told us martinez was a good manager. not sure about his player thoughts. Martinez is an arrogant tool who cant teach teams to defend. Ergo he is NOT a good coach. A good man for post match excuse making and nonsense though. Mind u Catchy wanted us to get solsjaer and he was obviously brill at cardiff. 🙂

• 86 Jail for Ashley // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:18 PM

Munster,
    If Rafa gets us promoted with record points and goals will you keep telling us that you used to bang the Rafa is too defensive drum or will you sweep it under the carpet?

• 87 Jib // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Betty
    You actually make a good point for all of Rotondas mockery.
    I have a son who works in a different endeavour to sport .
    He is very conscious of comments about him on the internet.
    He reads everything posted and can be quite hurt by ill considered criticism.
    I just think people should think bfore posting some comments about players

• 88 outside the box // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:25 PM

mr tuff @74….i thought july 1st but read on fox…
    When does the transfer window open & close in England?

The 2016 summer transfer window opens on Thursday, June 9 and closes two and a half weeks into the EPL season, on Wednesday 31 August in England

When does the transfer window open & close in Europe?

The summer transfer windows in La Liga, the Bundesliga and Serie A do not open until Friday, July 1.

Ligue 1 in France mirrors England….
    confused…maybe someone knows ….could be different for championship….

• 89 Jib // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Apparently both Villa and us fancy Patrick Bamford

Chelsea have put a £10 million price tag on him

PAY IT RAFA !!!!!

• 90 Jail for Ashley // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Jib,
    I hope he doesn’t read this and know what name you post under 😮

• 91 Jib // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Outside the box
    If you send Michel Platini a postal order for €100,000 he will send you an answer straightaway

• 92 outside the box // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:36 PM

jib
    just confused as to when rafa the gafa will show what quality signings we are after….i thought contracts start from july 1st and transfer window opened on july 1st …but fox site states blaydon races day…thought it may have been different for championship….dont have that many euros

• 93 Jib // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Not bad from Big Al

• 94 welshgeordie9 // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Who would take over Newcastle if Benitez fails.

• 95 Jib // Jun 6, 2016 at 7:41 PM