The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Shameful – Star Pleads For Move Away From Newcastle

12:54 pm, Tuesday, June 7th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 42 Comments

Knowing Moussa Sissoko’s history I suppose we should have expected this to come at some point after Newcastle were relegated last month.

The 26 year-old French star has been speaking to Foot Mercato while with the French squad – and he has put in a personal plea to Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger to sign him from Newcastle.

Moussa+Sissoko+Newcastle+United+v+Tottenham+zCoqdDJkqzZl

Moussa Sissoko – pleads for move away from Newcastle

So if you are ready for the latest installment of “I want to play for a Champions League club” – here is is:

“Today, if I played in the Championship, I would put my place with the French national team in jeopardy and in terms of many other things. I have already had a discussion with Rafa Benitez.”

“Arsenal is the club of my heart.” “My advisors will also have a discussion with him. I think that he knows what I want, where I want to go.”

“So I hope that there will not be a problem for me to go and enjoy myself at another club.”

‘Personally I have not spoken with the club. My advisors have. I do not know, I hope so with all my heart they will let me go.”

“I would like to continue my career in England.” “Arsenal is one of the best European teams. To be watched by that sort of club, that proves that you are a quality player.”

“It is good to know. I hope that I will have the chance, soon, to play for this club or for a similar club.”

“Everyone knows, I often said it when I was young, Arsenal is the club of my heart, because there were quite a few French players there like Thierry Henry, Robert Pires, Sylvain Wiltord, Patrick Vieira who was my idol.”

“The beautiful Arsenal. We will see. I cannot tell you if I am going to go to Arsenal.”

That’s not good at all coming from Moussa, who Rafa Benitez has installed as captain for him to so  openly to plead for a move away from Newcastle.

Moussa is why footballers get bad names – they seem so utterly selfish and  self-centered.

Rafa was bringing the best out of the Frenchman, but in the three and a half years he’s been on Tyneside he has never reached his potential and flattered to deceive.

Last season he too often went missing in games.

If he is that adamant about leaving we should let him move – but only at a good price.

And it will be interesting to see what calibre of clubs comes after the midfielder who has been poor the last two seasons for Newcastle.

The problem with Moussa is that he’s not as good as he thinks he is.

The two other French Internationals before him – Yohan Cabaye and Mathieu Debuchy – decided  to leave Newcastle and what happened to them at PSG and Arsenal respectively?

They ended up warming the bench and that could well happen to Moussa – certainly if he moves to Arsenal.

The problem with Moussa this summer is that we doubt a club will offer anywhere near what the Magpies want for him – said to be close to £20M.

We’d be lucky to get £10M for him.

Tags: Coaching · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

42 responses so far ↓

• 1 Munster Mag // Jun 7, 2016 at 12:56 PM

If rafa hadnt seen this coming, he has now. Sell!!!! bobby u cant be happy re arma? Surely we dont need bamford? However as i said before if arma doesnt fit 4231 he wont do well under rafa

• 2 LGFUAD21 // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:01 PM

You cant blame players for wanting to play in the top leagues.

BUT

THIS IS SHAMEFUL BEHAVIOUR.

Particularly from a player that rarely turns up.

I hope we rinse his potential suitors for £20m. Then we can all sit an laugh when he sits on the bench and gets dropped from the French team

• 3 jimmysmith // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:02 PM

I fully expect Rafa to let any want away player know that they’ll only be going if a fair offer is received. 40 million for Janmaat, Sissoko, and Widjnaldum.

These problems are the clubs doing though. If we’d had better coach in earlier, and two or three better players in key positions, which of course we could have had, and should have had, no one would be agitating to leave.

• 4 Corv // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:04 PM

He isn’t technically good enough for Arsenal. Get rid asap as we don’t need destabilising influences in the squad.

• 5 manxpie // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Wat a kernt! !
    Quality players don’t play 1 good game in 10
    Quality players don’t have a first touch of a granny with chronic arthritis
    You couldn’t even lace the boots of any of them players
    get him out for the highest offer

• 6 Novocastrian66 // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:06 PM

His heart has been elsewhere for 24 months. It certainly wasn’t present whenever he wore the black and white jersey.

• 7 Spoof // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:12 PM

Ashley’s MP grilling has ended, he isn’t fit to run a business, lock him up and throw the key away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 8 Macas // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:13 PM

To be fair at least he is being honest about it and not going on about how he is too upset about being relegated to decide about his future. First positive thing he has done all season.

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:13 PM

He’s had the engine running and the driveway gates open since he got here. Bye bye.

• 10 clinath@ed // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:14 PM

do you think he was miss-quoted……?

• 11 clinath@ed // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:14 PM

nah….nor me.

• 12 AncientC // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:16 PM

There is some shocking news, we have only known for nigh on 2 years that Sissoko was staying on to ensure his Euro 2016 place, then he would be off.

I see Ashley is wearing his black & white tie to his hearing; there will of course be a manipulative ploy behind this not-so subliminal stunt. Personally, I think Mike Ashley is a disgrace for wearing a black & white tie to his hearing, this is nothing to do with NUFC.

• 13 Harley // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:16 PM

LGFU

Totally agree. We have to be realistic and know that our internationals aren’t going to want championship football.
    But to go about it in this way is disgraceful.
    Like someone else said, maybe if he’d turned up for more games we would t be in this situation.

20m and goodbye.

• 14 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Ashley has promoted people beyond thier competence, same as at NUFC. The parralells are clear, and some managers have turned out to be nasty pieces of work as a result. I think he was genuinely shocked at a couple of things he was told about. He’s clearly going to have to restructure, or sell up. He admitted himself its grew too fast for him.to keep up.

• 15 Spoof // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:17 PM

I don’t think we will get anywhere near the offer which it would take to prize him away, Rafa can be as stubborn as a mule and anything less than £20m would probably not be enough for Rafa to allow him to go, it’s all well and fine for us to critisize the player but Rafa obviously rates him, rates him high enough to make him captain so unless Rafa’s valuation is met then I can see him staying put.

• 16 AncientC // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Sissoko already knows he may not get first team football at Arsenal… which is why he is angling for a move this summer instead of last. (Euro 2016 to think about)

It’s not like Sissoko believes he is a certain starter at a Champions League club – he knows the risks.

• 17 SPRINGY // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:20 PM

as corv said he’s technically nowhere near good enough,great engine and pace granted but his touch is poor and his threat awareness when defending is shocking….get what we can for him and move on.

• 18 cyprus // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Sissoko was made captain by Rafa, which must mean he appreciated his quality. He isn’t that amazing, but he was among our best players, which says a lot. Opinions on whether he applied himself can vary, but stats don’t. He had among the highest distance covered stats in the team. How he used those, whether he could do better, that’s another story. His desire to go, given his ambition, is a logical one. Nothing shameful. I think nobody who wants out should be made to stay, btw.

On the Andros argument, I hope he stays. I wanted him to come, want him to stay. Now Jonjo, I didn’t want to come, unlike most fans. Get rid, free up salaries for 2 players.

• 19 giimps // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:21 PM

It’s ok, hopefully Wenger can see past his many limitations , inability to pass, inability to shoot, header, tackle create and score goals and has the vision of Helen Keller , hopefully he can see past these slight issues and pays the going rate for our powerful vieraesque central midfielder ,a french international, hopefully he will pay the £20m we want (or I would want) and we use this to offer Toonsend a better deal and rebuild with pace and power …..whatever the club decides to do we will have to go along with , but under Rafa it won’t be reluctantly, it will be trustingly……..if they want to go, let them for as much as we can get and build for the future

• 20 Harley // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:22 PM

Re Townsend.
    I’m not saying this because if a Newcastle fan but I genuinely believe Newcastle in the championship for 1 season with Benitez and a new sense of optimism is a far more attractive proposition than a club like palace in the premiership.

If it was one of the big teams then yes, but he’s already been there and could t get in the team. Is he going to start at Chelsea, city, Man U, Arsenal etc? Def not. He’s done that and wants regular football. Southampton, Everton and West Ham are the biggest danger of losing him. I’d be gobsmacked if he went to one of the small teams.

• 21 magicmac // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:23 PM

He has been looking a move away from Newcastle for at least the last 18 months, also i honestly think we would be lucky to get 25 to 30 million for janmaat, sissoko, and widjnaldum, at the end of the day, you only want to keep players who are totally commited to the cause, the championship is quite a tough league to get out of, and we need everyone pulling in the same dirrection. HWTL.

• 22 Spoof // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Aren’t Arsenal too technical though, a bit of directness could take them up another level, put a powerhouse in the current mamby pamby Arsenal of the last few seasons then they could really benefit, it’s the same with Vardy, his directness and shoot on site attitude could do them a power of good.

• 23 Average_Contents // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Sick of hearing his self praised patter.

Champions league? Haha. Deluded dikhead.

The thing is, if he applied his work ethic to match his actual words then he’d be a good player.

Unfortunately for us he never did, bar the odd few games throughout the whole season.

2-3 games isn’t good enough moussa you big twat.

Get fcuking rid now, the shithouse.

Does my nut in.

Anyone got a rifle?

• 24 AncientC // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:26 PM

LOL

• 25 clinath@ed // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Easy AC, easy….;)

• 26 Tsunki // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:28 PM

I only hope winger values him half as highly as he does himself. Impressed but not surprised that he’s top of the headless chicken stats btw 🙂 a selective performance player who failed to be a team one, and helped as much as any towards the drop. Bon journee you poser ha ha he’s magic, you know….

• 27 clinath@ed // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:29 PM

AC…great link, TOON took over their blog

• 28 BoonInToon // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Off you trot then, sunshine. There’s no point in keeping a player whom has neither the desire or the heart to stay at the club. £15m and re-invest in some young, English talent. Will Hughes would be a great fit at Newcastle.

• 29 Tsunki // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:31 PM

That one was for Mr T btw who likes to pounce on the gender thing ha ha.

• 30 Harley // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Giimps

Don’t forget heart of a lamb too!

• 31 LocalZero // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out you mercenary…
    At least his lack of commitment is consistent, which is more than can be said of his form.

• 32 jimmysmith // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:34 PM

The club can afford to lose both of Sissoko and Widjnaldum, if we keep De Jong and Perez. If Thauvin returns then you might only need an understudy to Townsend as a replacement, two wingers if he doesn’t. Arbeloa type in for Janmaat.

Not the end of the world at all should even all four leave, provided we only let them go for the right money of course.

Money is most important by the way. We won’t get far letting our most valuable assets leave for peanuts. They will ultimately need to be replaced with quality, and the money will need to be there to do it.

• 33 Average_Contents // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Clinath

I can’t stand disloyalty. One of the worst traits ever in my book.

Expressed the way he does it all the time just makes it seem worse and rubs our nose’s in it.

I’ve no problem with players wanting to leave as the club has been sold to them as a stepping stone (which in itself is a fcuking joke) but ffs moussa have some respect.

Ya cnut.

• 34 terencelim // Jun 7, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Look at the bigger picture, he’s not to be blamed. Ashley is.

• 35 stuart no9 // Jun 7, 2016 at 2:08 PM

lets be honest , who never saw this coming , even the way he has done it does not surprise me one bit .
    He has waited till he was away in france THEN decided to tell the world . coward .
    ive never liked the bloke , hes played twice for newcastle – his first against chelsea and his second against spurs, i cant remember the ones in between ..
    £20M , not a penny less or he sits on the bench in championship next year , f@@k him

• 36 Moonraker15 // Jun 7, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Get as much as we can for Sissoko and let him go. Whatever he thinks, he doesn’t have the quality to get in the Arsenal team! Is he better than Ox, Walcott, Sanchez or half a dozen others? If he went to Arsenal he would fade away like Debouchy! Don’t think they will sign him and Rafa will want 20 million!

• 37 geordiemark // Jun 7, 2016 at 2:22 PM

ohh you spat your dummy out sissoko that’s a shame well because of you and the so called stars of the club yous had us relegated so really you didn’t give one dot about either staying up or getting relegated, I would want in access of at least £25 million for you even if your not worth it and if no one pays the money well you can sit on the bench the WHOLE SEASON in the CHAMPIONSHIP that is what you deserve you piece of scum you, mad am f&*&*&*(&(&ing foaming

• 38 thejokethatisnufc // Jun 7, 2016 at 3:04 PM

what a prick he is i don’t even rate him

• 39 scout // Jun 7, 2016 at 3:34 PM

This mans performances have single handedly taken us down. Then to come out with this is the final kick in the teeth.
    To be fair Arsenal will probably buy him, thats why theyll never win the Premiership.

• 40 scout // Jun 7, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Remember a game v chelsea he looked like the best player in the world. Most games he went missing. Goodbye forever

• 41 TheBoss // Jun 7, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Yeah that worked out well for Debuechy didn’t it , thinking they were better than they were.. All started with Olivier Bernard in modern times.. then Enrique , Cabaye and countless others who all thought they were going on to bigger and better things.. I’ve seen jelly fish with more of spine than this bloke… bye bye.. no loss.. You need HEART & DESIRE to pull on that Toon shirt … Something he lacks from his character… On Ya bike bonny lad.. No Great Loss..

• 42 Grumpy // Jun 7, 2016 at 7:40 PM

I think Rafa has the experience to deal with this type of player personally id kick him in the balls.

previous post: Newcastle After In-Demand Spanish Striker