The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Confirm Second Friendly Game

1:46 pm, Wednesday, June 8th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 102 Comments

Newcastle United will play Doncaster Rovers next month at the Keepmoat Stadium on Wednesday, 20th July for a 7.45pm kick-off.

That comes just four days after our first friendly game against Bohemians on Saturday, 16th July, with a 2pm kick-off against the League of Ireland Premierย club in Dublin.

That follows a week of training in County Kildare, Ireland.

Doncaster Rovers FC

The last time we were in the Championship was the last time the team played at the Keepmoat Stadium on Tuesday 23rd March 2010, as we were steamrolling towards automatic promotion and we won the game 1-0 with a second half Andy Carroll goal.

After being beaten 3-0 at Derby on 9th February, 2010 Newcastle won 13 of the remaining 17 league games and drew the other four – 43 points from a possible 51 points to finish off the season in a sprint to the finish and 102 points and first place in the Championship.

Rafa Benitez has said he doesn’t want too much travel in this pre-season as he concentrates on getting the team ready for an assault on the Championship.

We could see a number of local friendly games leading up to the Championship kickoff on Saturday August 6th.

Tags: Championship · Friendlies · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League

102 responses so far ↓

• 1 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Anyone know how England U19s got on against Mexico on Monday., and did Arma play?

• 2 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 8, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Suppose getting used to the Yorkshire climate is a good idea before a season in the champs.

• 3 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Got to our last home game in the champers against this lot real late due to Jordans book signing at the Metro. Found out the glum silence was because we were a goal down. Second half, cue Andy Carroll and his left foot volley ha ha.

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Clinath

I cant find the result anywhere. Not even on the official england site. Saturdays defeat is the most recent.

• 5 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Clin, England lost 1-0, Arma wasn’t even a sub, so hope he’s ok. Even woody was benched for this one. If ya don’t pick the right players, you can’t expect to win! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• 6 Mister Tuff // Jun 8, 2016 at 1:57 PM

got beat

• 7 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Lin, they were just friendlies to try out a few things. Clearly it didn’t work coz we lost both games. We know why marra! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• 8 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 8, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Woody and arma played in saturdays defeat. They’re in mexico, though, so it isn’t easy. I suspect youths don’t travel well. I would think if mexico u19 came here we would beat them twice.

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Well found, bobby and tuff. I couldnt find ot at all.

• 10 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Thanks chaps. uprising news Arma not playing. Lets hope he’s only being rested before the the summer Tourno…

• 11 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:01 PM

uprising???? Surprising!!

• 12 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Uprising!!!! Arma didn’t play……DOWN WITH THAT SORT OF TING, TED!

• 13 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Clin, like uprising better! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• 14 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Don’t FKN start again…..just getting used to the peace and quiet lads.
    My keypad is 5 mins ahead of my screen ATM….hence the typos.
    Its quicker to get to the hospital and back than it is to type anything decent out….;-)

• 15 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:08 PM

YCMIU, aye, mexico isn’t the easiest place to go and play football, it takes some getting used to apparently. Got to say I’m looking forward to the U19’s tourno every bit as much as the Euro’s. Virtually this same squad – although not all – won the U17’s last time around. Well worth a watch.

• 16 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:09 PM

lost me smiley emoji ๐Ÿ˜‰

• 17 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:10 PM

…ah there it is.

• 18 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Clin. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Actually i have the same problem with my tablet. I thought it was a fault at my end, but maybe it’s not. Takes the letters a while to catch up with what i’m writing and sometimes won’t reload without going back a page. Sound familiar?

• 19 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Clinath

We will be tripping over your dropped emojis ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• 20 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Yeah Eds page drags a bit what with naff videos trying to spark up and the ad blocker working like a navvy to find off the popups.

• 21 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:22 PM

I like emoji, helps confer a joke in case offence may be taken.
    Might be helpful on here….though I think they were frowned upon a while back. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• 22 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Tsunki, that’s a relief, i thought my tablet had a problem. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• 23 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:24 PM

took 2 goes and 10 minute to get that Gem out….carrier pigeon would have been quicker.

Agree Tsunki

• 24 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:26 PM

Clin, nowt wrong with a smiley to convey your mood.

• 25 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Yes mate, normally a very happy boy me. Though I was put in a grump for being called sanctimonious….had to look it up ;-(
    Only slightly better than imbecile from a couple of weeks ago…hey ho.

• 26 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Switched to iPad….much better.

• 27 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Clin, you’ve never come across as either of those to me. Keep smiling marra! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• 28 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Back to Ed’s subject matter. Wouldn’t mind starting the new season with 13 wins and 4 draws in the first 17 games. Happy days.

• 29 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Clin, can’t wait for it all to start. Being unbeaten for the first 17 games would suit me as well! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Last relegation season was really enjoyable if i’m honest. Loved it. After watching so many losing matches, it’s always nice to see the lads kicking ass. Dunno what Rafa has in mind for cup games, but a good run would be nice, especially if we can draw the mackems in one. Rafa’s unbeaten in our derby games after all! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• 30 bettyswallocks // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:45 PM

I am a hay fever sufferer for my sins. Every year when the pollen count is particularly high my eyes start streaming and I end up rubbing them furiously even when screamed at not to. I also sneeze a lot which irritates everybody. I have tried all the medication but none of it seems to work. Just saying like.

• 31 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:49 PM

Do one betty, you’ll get no sympathy on here. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Never bothered me, but wor lass gets it so i can relate to your plight. When does yours usually ease off? Hers usually wears off mid summerish, but others struggle all summer. More reason to get round to the season starting eh? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• 32 Back Door Man // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:50 PM

magscar … I was interested in what you posted at lunchtime today about being part of the NUFC PR Dept whilst contributing here.

Were you directed to infiltrate this murky undercurrent swirling beneath Fatso’s size elevens like some beautiful Soviet era spy ordered to sleep with a NATO general, or did you join for laudable reasons? Judging from your post your time as a NUFC spin doctor is in the past?

I may have missed earlier posts about this but this is a genuine post to find out if theย  management coterie were involved in ‘dirty tricks’ here.

• 33 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Never suffered from the dreaded hay fever myself. Though lately I have found my left eye watering a lot. Any ideas?

• 34 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:56 PM

BDM, it was just a malicious rumour marra. ๐Ÿ˜‰ mags ain’t no spy.

• 35 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Clin, have you tried not poking it? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• 36 bettyswallocks // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Bobby….. It kills me until late September. I mean it really is a pain and stops me staying outdoors for any length of time which is a real nuisance if there’s a barby going on. It can get so bad I end up sitting alone in a darkened room but I’m not one to complain so I just get on with it.

• 37 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Yeah Bobby, looking forward to the season coming. Regardless of what league we’re in I like watching my team doing well. Winning isn’t everything, but it helps.
    Cups are a lottery really, get a couple of easy draws the all of a sudden everyone is interested and up for it.

• 38 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Have to remember to take the straw out of my Cinzano….

• 39 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Clin, seriously, you might actually be suffering from mild hay fever after all. Over the counter remedies will sort out most mild attacks, it’s the serious attacks that cause problems. I imagine it’s difficult to drive if you can’t stop sneezing!

• 40 ShirebrookToon // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:02 PM

Beat nice to go the whole season unbeaten in the championship! ๐Ÿ™‚

• 41 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Had thought it might have finally got me. No sneezing or sore throat, just a runny eye.

• 42 BandB // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:06 PM

So, who we talking about today then?

Cluck, cluck, cluck.

• 43 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Shirebrook……invincables ad the championship, I like it.

Though to Sky, it would be the invisibles, as football does not exist outside or before the premiership(?)

• 44 Bobbybee // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Betty, so if i’m at the game and someone is snotting all over me, i’ll say hello! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Anyway, got to depart once again. Nothing serious, just wor lass on at me about catching up on sky plus and freeing up some space. No rest for the wicked eh? Later chaps. Glad me n tsunki put things right. Both accepting some resposibility. How hard is that? Enjoy the blog.

• 45 Mister Tuff // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Watery eyes does not sound very nice.
    Found a site with some tips on how to avoid it – might help.

• 46 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:11 PM

Cruel Mr T. Haven’t worn mascara since to court case. Even though I tried to explain it was a mis understanding….

• 47 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Anybody else seen those bogus(?) fixture lists doing the rounds on FB?

• 48 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Ah well, the chats dried up, unlike my eye. See you all later.

• 49 Average_Contents // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:17 PM

I’ve got a leaky eye too….

• 50 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:21 PM

my eyes run when I see extra work headed my way, followed by my legs… a wonder im not blind yet…

• 51 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:22 PM

Too late AC….I’ve gone.

• 52 Jib // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:28 PM

They do say excessive masturbation can make the eyes water .
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• 53 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:38 PM

jib,

whats that? I tend to subcontract that particular job out…

• 54 bettyswallocks // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Jib……. I thought you were married. Maybe you should take an extra wife. Do they practice polygamy over there?

• 55 Jib // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:44 PM

D.O.K.

• 56 Jib // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Should be D.O’K

• 57 Jib // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Betty they don’t need to practice they are proficient at it !

• 58 Jib // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:50 PM

This a song about having a mistress

• 59 bettyswallocks // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Jib. Get the boxing gloves on son .

• 60 BandB // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:55 PM

If a word in my defence may be permitted.

As someone pointed up earlier, I wasnโ€™t doubting bobbyโ€™s affliction or mocking his medication. I never have.

Just that he does bloody well with a four hour round trip to the hospital by ambulance.

Thereโ€™s usually a four hour delay marked on the clinical board when I arrive these daysโ€ฆ.even at 8am. Then the doctors start dribbling in around nine.

And pondering why such a self-proclaimed sunny-side-up optimist has zero sense of humour and such a foul temper.

And also taking a gentle swipe at the blogโ€™s fine tradition of people prepared to blog cheerfully and sweet-naturedly through their pain.

โ€œItโ€™s me war woundโ€ฆ.I never talk about it. Mustnโ€™t grumble.โ€

Not a long defence, give the earlier outpourings,

Off to have my foot amputated now. Be back around six.

Cheers marras.

• 61 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:56 PM

BandB,

no need to apologize for anything, keep being you ๐Ÿ™‚

• 62 bettyswallocks // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Jib…….. Maybe stay as you are. Polygamy is an endeavour to get something out of life that isn’t in it. Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

• 63 BandB // Jun 8, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Thanks Dok ๐Ÿ™‚

• 64 j.tudor // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Dingle

• 65 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:02 PM

and don’t worry, ive got you sorted out for Friday…

• 66 bettyswallocks // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:03 PM

A good wife always forgives her husband when she’s wrong.

• 67 bettyswallocks // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Ah well that’s enough misogyny for one day. Better go and see what er indoors has rustled up. She’s not the worst cook in the world but she cooks a lot like him.

• 68 Mister Tuff // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Aye already knew Jib was a “ham shanker” – nothing like getting it confirmed though.

• 69 Mister Tuff // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:25 PM

No decent football news at all at the moment. I supposed it is to be expected when most players are away on holiday.
    Doing some exterior odd jobs at the moment but will be checking in later for the blog “Fight Night”.
    We need some good clean contests- no fouling opponents, elbows or eye gouging.

• 70 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:29 PM

Sir Tuff,

is light of last night and your post @ 69, will sheep shearing or shagging be allowed?

• 71 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Betty @66 you could have saved some typing by stopping at “husband” ๐Ÿ˜€

• 72 Mister Tuff // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM

dok – afternoon – how’s things.
    I would anticipate some lively action tonight but clearly no animals are allowed.
    Mmmm- better re-phrase that – only humans are allowed to participate.

In this period of absolute zero happenings on the football front tonights’ fight night should prove a good distraction.
    I would imagine top of the bill will be “The Battle of the Bees”
    A heavyweight contest of BandB versus BobbyBee. – a no holds barred contest.

After that some tag team contests probably the Ian Toon Tag Team picking on a sole poster and cheating by using all his personas.

Then a flyweight contest between Jib Jibberish against any blogger who just turns up on the blog.

Evenings’entertainment sorted!!

• 73 kdogg85 // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:49 PM

How realistic /good enough transfers do people think to these as possibilities? Just a mixture from various articles i’ve seen.

DF to replace Collocini and Taylor

Skrtel
    Agger
    Dunk

Midfied / Wingers to replace Sissoko, Thauvin, Cabella Goufran, Vuckic etc

Cook or Hughes
    Redmond
    Tom Ince
    Ravel Morrison

ST to replace Cisse, Riviere

McCormack
    Young lad from Spain

• 74 Mister Tuff // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:56 PM

kdogg – agree with you list of those that need replacing but trying to work out their possible replacements – could be anybody from anywhere.
    Might get a flavour of the standard of the “recruits” after Reafas first venture into the transfer market.

• 75 Mister Tuff // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Reafas =Rafa’s

• 76 Sir Eric // Jun 8, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Skrtel not realistic and Agger not very realistic but I’ve been reading rumours he’s off to milan anyways.

The others seem somewhat realistic, but I just have a hard time seeing Derby or another promotion rival selling us a player.

McCormack would be a good signing, but if his release clause is the 15mil that has come out recently instead of the 12.5mil, that might be too ridiculous of a fee

• 77 Munster Mag // Jun 8, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Bobby I expect to be there and responded that I will buy you a pint. But ya, hope to be there and happy to give an account of the game. Hope ur boy arma plays or he is gonna get shipped out if he doesn’t impress pre season! Didn’t we have a small red haired striker before who was v good but disappeared?

• 78 bettyswallocks // Jun 8, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Just had my tea. Her specialty, Indigestion. Then she told me to put the rubbish out. I replied, “You cooked it you put it out”.

• 79 lesh // Jun 8, 2016 at 5:50 PM

BandB

Getting your foot amputated eh?

Foot in mouth treatment perhaps?

๐Ÿ˜‰

• 80 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 5:50 PM

aaaaannyyyyyyhooooooooo…..

Isn’t going to Donny for a ‘Fiendly’ asking for our next lads to be tenderised in the manner of a dog in a authentic Chinese restaurant?

• 81 lesh // Jun 8, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Bettys

So you’ll be sleeping in the shed tonight?

๐Ÿ˜€

• 82 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Syeady Lesh it all went Pete Tong for BandB after your time travel insinuations cough cough ahem ๐Ÿ™‚

• 83 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Kdogg – ravel Morrison?whats he be up up these days? Wasn’t he the manure bad lad who went to West ham?

• 84 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 5:54 PM

What’s he be up up? Sounds like a scooter being started.

• 85 lesh // Jun 8, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Mr Tuff

So it’s only human beings allowed tonight – no animals allowed.

Ed’ll be onto you for posting discriminatory posts – Welshyboyo’s sure to complain!

• 86 lesh // Jun 8, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Tsunki

Couldn’t resist it!

• 87 bettyswallocks // Jun 8, 2016 at 5:59 PM

Lesh……… Looks that way. She’s so unappreciative. I can remember when I used to spend every day in the betting shop and every night in the casino just trying to win enough money to give us a good life, but what thanks do you get?

I take her everywhere. She just keeps finding her way back.

• 88 bettyswallocks // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Tsunki….. Careful .@80. You could get wrong on a few fronts with that one.

• 89 Mister Tuff // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:04 PM

lesh – you need to get in quick to get a ringside seat for tonights’ “rumble”.

• 90 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Betty you are probably right. In hindsight it does come across as a bit Doncasterist.

• 91 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM

“BHS boss Dominic Chappell has told MPs former owner Sir Philip Green was furious when he became aware that he was in talks with Sports Direct over a rescue plan for the firm.”

Very entertaining this BHS lark. Funny how everyone involved is interrelated and being hauled before select committees and the like. These Fat Cat oily businessmen are like backwoods hillbillies oops there I go again offending hillbillies.

• 92 bettyswallocks // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:11 PM

t sunk………. Yes. In this age of political correctness you could have the Yorkshire contingent up in arms.

• 93 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:11 PM

So what time is the main event? Are Jib and Welsh the warm up act again? ๐Ÿ™‚

• 94 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:14 PM

EE bah eck bett-eh thar not wrong tha knows! On ilkleh moor baht ‘at etc that should get the pc brigade jumping like firecrackers.

• 95 Mister Tuff // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Would have thought the main event would have started by now. Suspect some delaying tactics/gamesmanship.
    Get ready to rumble.

• 96 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Sooo…a friendly in Ireland, grab some kebabs for the team then on the coach and get the ferry to Anglesey, wave at welshie as you head across England (bypassing Birmingham of course) to Doncaster, overnight stay in the travelodge at Carcroft on the A1, brekkies at the Little Chef then kit on for a jog around the Keepmoat, weather permitting.

I forget, where are Man Utd touring preseason?

๐Ÿ™‚

• 97 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Doing my best Mr T, but I doubt we’ll get much action until we have G2 rubbing Jib up the wrong way and a couple of sly digs by Belfast. We need the big guns for this one. Wheres bladeuser?

• 98 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:25 PM

Evidently it’s tea time.

• 99 Mister Tuff // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:26 PM

I think Belfast will be the cornerman for the Tag Team.

• 100 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:27 PM

I might miss Corriedale tonight for this….

• 101 bettyswallocks // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut and still think they’re sexy.

• 102 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2016 at 6:39 PM