The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

It’s Not Going To Be Easy For This Newcastle Player

4:32 pm, Thursday, June 9th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Rob Elliot faces a hard slog back from his ACL knee injury, and he suffered it over five months after Tim Krul suffered his, so we’d be surprised if Rob is fit before say late November at best.

Tim is probably hoping he can be fit for the first game of the Championship season on August 6th, but there’s been no official comment on that from the club.

Rob says he will be back in training in September or October and is foregoing a summer holiday in the hopes of getting fitter faster.

Rob+Elliot+Crystal+Palace+v+Newcastle+United+pOjE2Ox9USJl

Rob Elliot – Newcastle goalkeeper

This is what Rob has said on the Newcastle web-site today:

“I’m in almost every day, getting fit again.” “The training ground is a lonely place. Tim Krul is also around but he’s a bit ahead of me in his rehab so he may have a bit more time off.”

“It is tough but I’m working with great physios and hopefully it will make me stronger and get me back quicker.” “As much as you want a summer break, I would rather be fit and then I can enjoy my summer holidays next year instead.”

“I would rather be back at St. James’ Park playing than anywhere in the world on holiday.” “I will sacrifice anything to make sure that happens and work so hard to get back as soon as possible.”

“If missing a couple of holidays will mean I’m back two or three weeks earlier, then it will be worth it.” “I’ve been working hard and I’m off my crutches now, so that’s great and makes me feel a little bit more independent.”

“It’s amazing what you take for granted, especially as a footballer, because you’re so active and I found it really hard.”

“But now I’m off the crutches and have seen the surgeon, who gave me the all-clear, I can really start progressing, which is massive for me.”

“I can start doing things like the bike and treadmill, which are simple things at a low level but enough to make you realise that you are going to return to fitness.”

“I will be getting ready to hopefully be back in training in September or October.”

It just shows Rob’s dedication to Newcastle, the fact that he wants to concentrate in the summer on the physio work on his knee in the hope he can make a quicker return.

And once Rob is fully fit again it’s going to be very interesting to see who Rafa has as his number one goalkeeper at Newcastle, after Rob played so great for us in Tim’s absence last season.

And Karl Darlow looked a very good goalkeeper too in those final eight games of the season.

Most fans still rate Tim Krul as Newcastle’s best goalkeeper.

Who Is Newcastle's Best Goalkeeper?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Personal note – I’m writing this in a Starbucks in Albany Airport on my way back to Raleigh after a few days in beautiful upstate New York, in places like Kingston – where I used to work for IBM – and Woodstock.

Tags: Injuries · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot · Tim Krul

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 lochinvar // Jun 9, 2016 at 5:07 PM

One less rumour to worry about – not that he wouldn’t come here didn’t bother me , the concern was that some thought he might.

Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick has agreed a new one-year contract with the club.
    The 34-year-old has been at Old Trafford since signing from Tottenham in July 2006 and made 42 appearances last season.

• 2 lochinvar // Jun 9, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Two keepers with ACL injuries – is it the boots ?

• 3 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 9, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Wish we would start signing players !! Getting worried that it might be a hard sell for convincing players to play with us even with Rafa !!!

• 4 giimps // Jun 9, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Most players are either on holiday or with their countries for euros/copa or u21/19 ,
    This was always going to be a slow month , especially if your after the quality of players we want, if it was Fraudew or mcwally in charge we would be scouring french league 3 for players and hoping they become good under us so we can sell them…..I would rather wait and get whoever we need (exact players rather than utility players) so we can start the campaign well and continue all season, my only worry is depth of squad at the moment…. We have the players to get up under Rafas guidance but look below the 1st team and we may struggle ,especially with our injury record…….roll on August,

• 5 BandB // Jun 9, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Can I make suggestion?

Most of us seem happy to put the Ashley debate on hold.
    Much as I rue the influence he has had on the club, we now have a world class manager to compensate for a relegation.
    The past cannot be changed.
    This would be a truce. Not a surrender.
    In return, the “true fan” debate and all its myriad claims of superior fandom also needs to be ditched.
    It is fantastic to see fans queuing to buy tickets. This is a chance to unite in what we love, and not for recombination and bitterness.
    We fans are to blame for nothing.
    Can I further suggest that health issues are far medical websites. We are after all, just avatars here with no arms and legs, no sex and no colour.
    No slight intended on anyone presently posting, but it has been abused as topic to often in the past to be preserved with.
    Ed is the only one who puts his real name on here, and his fight is as dangerous as any.
    Cut and thrust is good. It keeps the blog ticking and should not be too precious about it.
    Someone like LCBP shouldn’t be left dangling for an hour over a perfectly respectable football question.
    There is hope.
    At last.

• 6 BandB // Jun 9, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Recrimination….no idea what recombination means, but it sounds like a thing it is time for.

• 7 BandB // Jun 9, 2016 at 6:58 PM

Bloody hell, predictive text put the boot in there.

• 8 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 9, 2016 at 7:05 PM

BandB

Fantastic sentiments, there. You have put my “shut the fcuk up and move on” plea from yesterday into much better words. I would be especially glad to see the back of the “true fan” battle.

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 9, 2016 at 7:10 PM

I’d be happy to start the season with Darlow between the sticks. I still expect him to become our no.1 keeper for the long term.

• 10 BandB // Jun 9, 2016 at 7:15 PM

Mark,

I really, really want stop fighting people who love the same club as me.
    It’s a ticket for a football match, not a National Insurance stamp.
    And it’s an international blog, God preserve it (or the deity or non-deity of your choice)
    We make CHOICES as people.
    I am letting it lie.

• 11 BandB // Jun 9, 2016 at 7:19 PM

Darlow, Mark?
    Can’t agree with Darlow:)
    Long Live the Blog.

• 12 WWSBRD // Jun 9, 2016 at 7:28 PM

Rafa been interviewed again good words again planning to get the club back into the community and the club are already sorting out the training ground…magic man

• 13 BandB // Jun 9, 2016 at 7:31 PM

The number of posts in the last 22 hours is yet to exceed the 92 in the previous three hours of “blog death” last night.
    Clearly there’s more at play here than those people you really can’t abide and blame for everything.

• 14 ShirebrookToon // Jun 9, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Q the tumbleweed

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Jun 9, 2016 at 7:45 PM

When (c)arl and Jack Root are ready to unite and tell the world they don’t often post because of the likes of me, I’m ready to throw the towel in!

• 16 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 9, 2016 at 7:46 PM

@BandB

Yeah I long for the days when we used to debate about teams , formations and signings all the time rather than this boring crap about real fans or multiple accounts etc BORING !!!

Some proper football talk right here from Rafa :

• 17 Average_Contents // Jun 9, 2016 at 7:47 PM

……

• 18 BandB // Jun 9, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Luckily Jail saved you from a self-fulfilling prediction of you propping the blog up for 90 minutes there Shirebrook.
    “Lovely words pet, now pop the kettle on, there’s a good lass.”

Pleased to see you got tickets for the family Jail.
    I hope you girls get the bug. No reason at all why they won’t. They might even understand it better than the boys.

• 19 BandB // Jun 9, 2016 at 7:51 PM

……….:)

• 20 Bowjaw // Jun 9, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Excellent words from Robbie there mind, quickly becoming a favourite of mine. just shows the difference in class between himself and the likes of Mr Pea Heart. If we manage to get a few more through the door with his level of commitment and dedication, I will be quite optimistic for the coming season.

previous post: Striker Open To Newcastle Move If Offer Is A Good One